Expectations... Volume 2!

Jason Strudwick
February 19 2013 08:10AM

Wow! I love the feedback in the comments section of my last post "Step back from the ledge". You guys are fired up. Even my buddy Brownlee was moved so much he posted on my posting! I love it!

I want to clear up where I was coming from. I wasn't talking about last year or ten years ago. I wasn't talking about how this is taking too long or what should have been done is the past. I was simply saying that for this season expectations were set to high. This is not a playoff team.

The younger players need time to grow, to develop and to learn how to play the game. Skill is great to have but other teams are skilled at stopping skilled players. Until they learn the value of soft chips at the blue line instead of turning it over their game to game success will fluctuate. Puck management is a huge part of the game now. You can't just trade chances with every opponent, that is too dangerous and unpredictable.

There are holes in this lineup. Depth on the back end and size in the top nine forwards won't be easy to address but by the end of next season it needs to be. Hard decisions face this management group. The sit and wait, passive style which has helped the team acquire top young talent must now be shifted to a more aggressive mode. Can they do it? Time and success will determine that.

I got a posting from MAC932 on my last entry. This is what he had to say.

So Mr Strudwick- explain to me exactly why the Detroit Red Wings have maintained their standing in this league for so long. How many years has it been now.The Oilers have sucked for years 2006 the exception. Lower my expections ? Give me a break, make the moves to fill the voids this team needs without sacrificing the future, it can be done and you know it. You can’t fill all the voids at once i understand that.
Also, tell me from your heart if you feel Oilers Management have built the team to the point they are at now. No they didnt, we sucked for so bad for so long we acquired 1st round picks, and J. Schultz picked us. Put me a list togeather of moves that have improved us. Ryan Smyth- Nope. Belanger- Sorry- Eager- so-so.
Dont pee in my ear and tell me it’s raining Struds.
Takes time- they have had time. We will lose our stars as usual if this 10 year plan continues. Make a Move, show some balls Again, I know it all cant be done at once, but there has been nothing, Fistric is the only decent move to increase team toughness i have seen.

Good stuff from MAC. He covers a whole bunch of topics. I have a question for the whole Nation. MAC writes about making a move. So let’s hear some examples. What moves would you all make? Make them real though. You can't trade Peckham for Weber. Before you submit ideas ask yourself if you would make the trade if you were both teams.

MAC also says that moves can be made now without sacrificing the future. It is hard to predict how players will mature and improve at a young age. When I look at the players in OKC I would suggest the value of many of them has gone down due to their lack of development. Is that the group that will bring back what this team needs? Do you trade Oscar Klefbom? He has value, do you trade him? Do you move a roster player? Hard to see a big return from the players in the bottom six so then who goes from the top lines? How about future draft picks? Next year's first rounder could probably get you something, is that worth the risk?

If I was the GM of the Oilers I would not be very aggressive this season. Obviously you are always looking for opportunities to improve but I would not sell the farm. After the season when I know what position I am drafting I start making plans to fill the holes. No more waiting.

It is easy for us all to sit around and say the team needs to make moves. Let's see what you guys come up with for options.

The best options will get free hugs from both Gregor and Wanye.

The Mighty Kings cometh!!!

I always liked to play the top teams, especially the defending Stanley Cup champions. It was a great way to figure out how close you were to being a good team. I think the game between the Oilers and Kings will be a good measuring stick for the Oil.

The Kings are not the team they were last year due to a couple injuries on the back end. Both Willie Mitchell and Matt Greene are out. I know for a fact that without both those players the Kings would not have won the Cup last year. That is a fact. Their back end is not the same without them.

Up front they are still a handful. Big, skilled and determined (most of the time). How will the Oilers match up against Richards, Kopitar, Carter, and Stoll at center? Could the game be won and lost simply by faceoff domination?

The grit on the wings is impressive... Brown, Williams, King and Nolan all are strong down low on the puck? How will the Oilers defence match up? I haven't mentioned Kyle Clifford. This kid has been their best player many nights this year. He is rugged, strong and can score some.

This game will be a very good test for the Oilers. Will the Oilers be able to out skate the Kings? Will they use their speed to get in on the forecheck? Will faceoffs be an issue especially on special teams?

Quite a few questions heading into this game. They will be answered during the game and the Oilers will know where they stand.

5cf6b487166aced0cd781e41bfef915e
#1 sizedoesmatter
February 19 2013, 08:24AM

Based on one quarter of a season gone and with a major injury (Horcoff)The Oilers are close to a playoff spot.I could not be happier

#2 OilClog
February 19 2013, 08:25AM

Haven't we already beat the kings and their size? Didnt our team of little mighty warriors come back against a bigger meaner team on Saturday night?

With one or two correct moves, this is a playoff team now.

No more free passes, it's time for the Oilers management to reward us our just due for sticking with this debacle the last 20 years.

#3 blue31
February 19 2013, 08:35AM

Rather than moving out Oilers to bring in potential upgrades, I'd sooner see each player challenged to up their game a notch. (As I'm sure they are.) It should be made clear that failure to do so could result in the end of a career. At least in Edmonton.

The collective bump should equal any new body brought in. It's just as important to weed out those who can't/won't up their game.

I say sit tight for the rest of the year, and let current players work themselves off the team.

#4 MarcusBillius
February 19 2013, 08:43AM

Jason, you've played a long time in the league and have the necessary, recent first-hand experience to comment on this:

With our current top 6, if you're trying for a playoff spot but not expecting it, do you need size? Kings size? Ducks size? Sharks size?

Or does the skill make up for that?

Now, in 2 years, when a playoff *run* will be the expectation, do you need size, or will skill make up for that?

b/c I'm sick and tired of Dinosaur Don Cherry saying we need to be big over and over and over and over...

PS according to the Lowebellini 5-year plan, this is the year we make the playoffs.

#5 Weeseany
February 19 2013, 08:47AM

MY "plan" from 2 years ago was that this team becomes a playoff team this year. 7th or 8th seed.... and we are by no means way off the mark. Sit tight, don't panic. Make trades if they come along and make sense, but there is no need to make deals for the sake of wanting to take action.

#6 Freewheeling
February 19 2013, 08:50AM

Jason would you say the Oilers the next three games will make or break their playoff hopes?Time to string a winning streak together.The 9 game jaunt could be what the doctor ordered.Iwould say at the very least we must be 500 on the trip.What would it take to get Barret Jackman out of St. Louis.Tough d man hard to play against exactly what we need on the back end.Up front time to lure a big name ufa here

#7 Zed
February 19 2013, 08:54AM

I think of the Oilers as a product.

How can you not be happy with a product that comes back from a 3 goal deficit from the first period in one game and scores in the last ten seconds to tie it up in another.

But there are the matinee games (yawn).

Oh yeah and getting spanked in their home opener.

Wasn't there a lockout this season?

Ok, so I'm still on the fence but at least 4 games in the playoffs would make my decision a little bit easier.

#8 j
February 19 2013, 08:56AM

I agree with Struds re: the Oilers being a year or two away. I am as frustrated as anyone that it has taken so long but feel we are at a watershed moment with this club. A few good moves (and non-trades) and this team should be contending for a long time. How did Detroit do it? Let's not forget that they were terrible for a very long time. What changed? How about drafting two of the best players to have ever laced them up in Stevie Y and Lindstrom. Throw in a few Fedorov's and Shanahan's and add Bowman. Voila. That was easy. Would the Oilers be in contention if they had 2006 Pronger on the back end? Definitely. But they don't. And may never find him again. So we need to keep looking for a group that works and I don't see it in the current roster.

#9 Phixieus666
February 19 2013, 09:06AM
MarcusBillius wrote:

Or does the skill make up for that?

The grind of the playoffs and the way the refing of the games changes in the playoffs favors bigger physical teams.

#10 Mike Modano's Dog
February 19 2013, 09:12AM

Trade examples (likely to get flogged...) - I am obviously looking for more size and a little more nastiness.

Smyth and Potter for the fallen out of favour Dustin Penner...which gives us a little more size. I know he isn't overly physical but can play that way on occasion, when needed...(I know I'm going to get raked over the coals for this) but he has done so in the past - here.

Omark and a 5th for the for the young former Sharks behemoth the Leafs just picked up...Frazer McLaren? (Leafs get scoring, already have an abundance of size and the Oilers have one less small skilled fw and finally a fighter who can play a little. I hope.)

An up and coming d-man like Klefbom and change to the Flyers for Scott Hartnell (might have to wait for the offseason to do this).

Same deal roughly to the Ducks for Ryan Getzlaf, or Bobby Ryan. Another possibility could be Hemsky and some combination of Musil, Marincin and a mid-round pick.

Just some food for thought, and addresses size and nastiness. Although the first two deals don't really deplete our roster the last ones would be thought of as also adding leadership, and someone who can play with our front lines and provide some toughness.

* Would also love to pick up Ryan Clowe...instead of one of more of these deals.*

#11 Rama Lama
February 19 2013, 09:22AM

I would fill the OKC Barons with young drafted talent who deserve to be there. Not Green, Arcabello, Hamilton........guys brought in to fill roles. At some time you have to ask the question, is it better to draft soley based on skill ( BPA) or what your organization is projecting what it's needs will be in the short term and long term?

I for one think the BPA is vastly over-rated. Maybe if you are drafitng first it becomes a good strategy but past the top 5 players available ( in most drafts) it's a crap shoot. At this point I say you select the best player available based on needs. If the best player available based on needs is sitting a couple of spaces down from where you are selecting........maybe you choose him instead. This is where the GM has to show his creativity and wheel and deal. Would it have made more sense for the Oilers to forgo the first choice in place of perhaps two lower choices........we may have been able to get power forwards like Henerik Samuelsson that way?

For me having draft choices is more important in developing a team and using the Detroit model of developing players in the AHL, makes good sense. THis strategy also keeps the team from having to go after UFA's .........NYR has been employing this strategy for years is no better for it. In fact it's become the grave yard for over priced talent looking to get away from it all.

If I were running the team, I would be trading away Hemsky, and getting a top pick while his value is high. We have enough wingers and need to concentrate on selecting centerman and defenseman........this years draft is looking promising. CBJ has an advantage this year, and there is no reason we can't acquire another top pick.

No trades, at this time given the GM we have in place. He is not capable of pulling off a good trade anyways.

#12 Phixieus666
February 19 2013, 09:25AM

@Mike Modano's Dog

I'd say your on crack. Under no circumstances would LA take Smyth and Potter for Penner. You'd have a better chance of just offering Potter for Penner.

Leafs aren't trading any of their big guys. They are trying to establish the identity of be a tough team to play against, just wont happen and nobody wants Omark.

Klefbom for Hartnell, and where do you put him. We already have a lot of top 9 guys and he won't be a 4th liner. If your going to pull in a top 9 player you need to move one out. I'd rather try and trade Smid than Klefbom.

Now on the Smid front, and a lot of people wont like it. I'm sure most have heard the rumors that the Oilers are likely to move Smid at the deadline. At first I thought this was crazy and it caused me to watch Smid more closely in games to try and figure out why in the hell they would do it. And then Kruger commented on Dallas. The game is changing to the point where you need your top 4 defense to be able to pass the puck. Smid can't pass worth a crap and considering he will likely be demanding 4 mill a season in his next contract, it just doesn't make sense to have a high priced top 4 that can't make a pass. Fistric is just as physical and blocks shots just like Smid but gets paid a lot less and hopefully Peckham will be the same. Just an observation.

#13 Cody anderson
February 19 2013, 09:33AM

I know Arnott failed his physical, but I never heard why, or if it was a long term thing. If he is healthy I would sign him to a 1 yr deal. this would be a huge upgrade over VV.

I would also look at trading Hemsky plus a prospect or draft pick for a truculent forward with offense. Someone like Clowe, Stewart or Doan.

I would also see if there is the potential to upgrade 1 dman by giving up a package of #6-7 dmen.

Something like Teubert, Peckam, and Whitney for Bogosian. If you need to throw in a draft pick or prospect as well then so be it.

#14 Lummeropenet
February 19 2013, 09:33AM

I like the idea of getting 100% out of the current line-up before we consider a trade. I do play the stock market so selling low is not a good idea. (Whitney is not playing well, TRADE HIM!) Play Whitney and let him get some game back and see what happens. I'd take a Ryan Whitney any day over what you'd get for him in a trade when he's struggling, DUH.

If you're desperate you're going to lose a trade. Oh, and there are 29 other teams in the NHL all franticly scrambling to the top in a 48 game season. Stakes are high and when the bidding starts for players like O'Reilly you're gonna pay!

Kopitar looks like a Zombie.

#15 book¡e
February 19 2013, 09:41AM

I would trade Peckham for Weber, but I'm just awesome like that.

#16 Phixieus666
February 19 2013, 09:41AM

@Lummeropenet

I thought Whitney probably played his best game on Sat. Need to keep him paired with Petry. I honestly wouldn't mind keeping Whitney if he gets his game back and is willing to sign at a discount. Also I've really liked Hemsky's game and I wouldn't mind keeping him the only question is in a new contract is he willing to come under the 5 mill cap mark because that will need to happen to keep all the young guys here and hemsky. If not use him to get some size and nasty. Although I am looking forward to seeing Anti Tervianin or however you spell it. Apparently he is a nasty MF'er

#17 Cody anderson
February 19 2013, 09:41AM

People will ask why I would trade Hemsky. He has talent and is having a good year meaning his trade value will be higher then it has been for a long time.

He wants to be top 6 and be paid like a top 6 player, and does not fit long term in our top 6. He is also harder to play with then anyone else in our top 9. It takes a lot longer to develop chemistry then it does with most of our lineup.

If we could trade him for someone with a little more offensive upside then Hartikainan it would really make us tougher to play against.

#18 Ducey
February 19 2013, 09:44AM

Struds, you are correct. This isn't and wasn't a playoff team.

The team is relying on a guy in his second year as their #1 C, has two rookies (Schultz Jr and Yak) in key roles, is relying up on DD to play everyday for the first time in years, and is one of the youngest in the league.

All the wanna be GM's out there want to trade players like MPS, Hartikanen, Klefbom and the like for the next Colby Armstrong or (insert name of Canadian born truculant checking winger/ Coke Machine).

You do that when you are making your run at the Cup. Only idiots (Hi, Mr Burke) sent away young players when your team is just getting competitive.

Right now they are on a one game winning streak and have played two good games in a row. It might be a bit early to plan the parade (or send out any young players or picks).

In fact, I think Tambo needs to look at getting even younger. Trade some of Bulin, Whitney, Jones, Eager and Belanger at the deadline to teams that think they can make a run. Let guys like MPS, Hartikanen, and some other young players you get back have some key icetime down the stretch. Then hit the FA market hard in the offseason.

#19 Will
February 19 2013, 09:48AM

We called into Stauffer recently and asked this very same question, how do you go about addressing the holes knowing it's hard to pull the trigger on a big trade. Stuaffer thought, as I do, that our D core will be solid if even one of our big name defensive prospects pans out, or even does better than expected. If two of those prospects pan out as billed then our defence is laughing. As for more size in our top 6, especially at centre, his answer was this year's draft. I forget the specific name he used, but he seems to think our big two way centre is in this year's draft. But that obviously means we still have a ways to go before we are the team all the fans are waiting for.

As for a trade, I think Gagner and Hemsky have trade value. I like both of them right now, and Gagner does produce enough points to earn his role on the second line, but these are the players that could net us back something to fill the holes.

So if you trade Gags, you have to be getting back a player LIKE Ryan O'Rilley, a two way centre that can play with skill. Every team needs these players so finding one to pluck means that every other team is probably looking to pluck them as well.

As for Hemsky, I think you trade him for a bigger, possibly less skilled left winger. If you have to throw in something else to make this trade then do it. Even that one trade means our top line has a larger presence on the wing, and our second line now has Hall, Gagner, and Yak, matching up against softer competition.

#20 Phixieus666
February 19 2013, 09:53AM

@Will

Yup that centers name would be French Canadian

Frederik Gauthier Ht/Wt: 6' 5"/210 lbs he should be available somewhere in the 15-30 slots as of right now.

#21 guptee
February 19 2013, 09:54AM

The problem isnt that we need to be patient with the kids. They are the ones leading the charge on this team. The problem is that the GM hasnt provided them with adequate backup. Its the veterans like Whitney who are pulling us down. The management should have addressed the defensive weakness on our backend and agressive pursued better defensemen during the free agency.

Asking us to be patient would have been a justifiable plea if it were the kids who were the problem.

#22 OILERSORDEATH
February 19 2013, 09:55AM

I wonder what it would take to pry Clifford from LA uh? He's a effin beast this year!

#23 Wendy01
February 19 2013, 09:57AM

I agree with you Jason. The Oilers brass have some tough decisions to make. Should they be pulling the trigger on a trade now or should they just wait? The tough part is that in order to get something good, you have to give up something good and that means moving someone from your top six. They need another tough stay at home defenceman and at least one big winger or center in their top six to make the jump to a playoff contending team. I'm not going to make stupid trade suggestions (like Peckham for Weber) but I'm thinking it looks like Hemsky and/or Gagner may be what gets moved to get what they need. Too bad as they are both playing so well, but ...... And the other question is does Tambellini have the stones to make the moves? All in all though, I have to say that although they are a train wreck in their own end, they've been highly entertaining when they get rolling this year. I've got the patience to wait for another year to make the playoffs. Sadly, this team isn't ready yet (but moving in the right direction).

#24 Ducey
February 19 2013, 09:58AM
Cody anderson wrote:

Come on man,

You would trade Hemsky for Anthony Stewart, who was traded with two picks for Kevin Westgarth and then placed on waivers??

How do think San Jose is going to respond when you ask for Clowe who had 57, 62 and 45 pts the last three seasons for player who had 28, 26 and 18?

In what world would Teubert, Peckham and Whitney get you Bogosian? Why would the Jets trade him at all? Why would PHX trade Doan?

#25 The Oilers Shot Clock
February 19 2013, 10:07AM

Boyle, Brian.

#26 vetinari
February 19 2013, 10:11AM

Rather than pitch trade proposals, I think that I would identify out tradable assets-- at this point, Whitney is likely disposable but at low value; Omark's rights may have some appeal to bring back a depth player or late round pick or be a sweetener; we have too many bottom rung defence men so one of Potter or more likely, Peckham can go; someone may pitch for Hordichuk closer to the deadline; Hemsky and Horcoff (subject to him waiving his NTC) may be marketable but would need to bring back NHL ready players on return; maybe Eager when Jones returns; maybe Paajarvi if management thinks that there is no clear role for him here; maybe Khabibulin nearer to the deadline if a team needs veteran help.

I've left the kids out and Gagner for obvious reasons (in Gagner's case, he's one of our leading scorers, 22, from good hockey bloodlines, and still developing). Also, until we actually become a playoff bound team, our first rounders should be off limits.

Not a lot to work with, is there? I still would like to see this management team try something rather than continually sitting passively by while other teams make trades.

#27 The Oilers Shot Clock
February 19 2013, 10:11AM

Yakupov to the Glen Sathers for delZotto and Boyle. Include filler picks on either side to balance the scale if need be. Boom playoffs.

#28 Dan the Man
February 19 2013, 10:17AM

LET'S TRADE ALL OF OUR FRINGE PLAYERS FOR REALLY GOOD PLAYERS!!!!!!!

#29 Unhealthy scratch
February 19 2013, 10:19AM

So if even the first round of the draft is a crap-shoot, that means whoever you pick might be a bust. If you want to avoid a bust, how does it improve your odds to NOT pick the BPA? That doesn't make sense to me.

The Oilers have Hemsky for one more season after this. Personally I love watching #83 and figure he has four or five good years left. But as a highly entertaining and talented player on a reasonable contract for what he produces, he should be worth a top pairing D-man with a comparable value contract and term. I think his value is about the same as Tom Gilbert, not that either team would make THAT trade.

Most of us have supernatural powers of hockey insight...trade this guy, fire the coach, etc etc etc. Watching Cogliano and Fraser contributing out on the west coast reminds me that we aren't necessarily that smart.

RK has my vote as the most important change this team has made in 2 years. We won't see his full impact until winter comes again.

Sure, if someone will give up a physical puck moving first pairing RD for a broken VCR plus Linus Omark, let's get that done. Otherwise, stay the course. Let the people we have learn what they are supposed to learn, and let RK see whether it works and adjust.

Wouldn't you rather work on problems you know with people you know, than problems you don't know with people you don't know?

#30 westcoastoil
February 19 2013, 10:24AM

put a package together to peel Ryan Johansen out of CBJ

#31 OilerLand
February 19 2013, 10:27AM

I'm okay with our team and our size, so my trade idea is timid...how about Hemsky for Nino Niederreiter? you gain 2 inches and about 2lb in size, get a bit younger, a bit cheaper, and NYI gets salary and a talent.

Apparently El Niño wants out of NYI? no idea but maybe it makes the trade easier.

I also agree with getting Boyle. Not sure what it would take to get him, or what NYR need.

#32 The Oilers Shot Clock
February 19 2013, 10:28AM

@Unhealthy scratch

There's only two ways of addressing needs. FA's and trades. Staying the course isn't going to improve us. Eventually a tough decision needs to be made. We aren't going to be ripping anyone off with our filler. Something new and shiny is going to have to get offered to get something that's reliable.

#33 The Oilers Shot Clock
February 19 2013, 10:28AM

@Unhealthy scratch

#34 mrBacon
February 19 2013, 10:28AM

I think the only players that might attract some attention on the trade market are Whitney and Hemsky and our most likely trade partner based on needs is likely the Sens. Chris Phillips would be a beater for the Oilers and they have quite a few big guys in their bottom six although I'm uncertain of the actual grit they possess.

#35 Cody anderson
February 19 2013, 10:29AM
The Oilers Shot Clock wrote:

I hate giving up on an elite talent so early in his career, but if Sather would do this it would answer 2 needs at once. I would do this deal.

#36 Quicksilver ballet
February 19 2013, 10:31AM

@Rama Lama

I'm all in favor of that as well Rama. Sell Hemmer while he is at the top of his game. The team as it sits now, isn't a playoff team even with him. Stay the course and continue their success through failing gameplan that Tambellini has executed to perfection the last four yrs. With the subtraction of Hemsky, one or two injuries and this is definatley a lottery team. Parlay the return for Hemsky into possibly another top 10 pick.Outside of the fab 5, pretty much everyone is available.

We'd be rid of that snakeoil salesman Steve Tambellini, he can head on down the No.2 a couple hrs and start another epic rebuild with the Lames.

Bend over Flamer fanbase, get ready for that 5yr smoke and mirror campaign, you know its coming....

#37 Cody anderson
February 19 2013, 10:35AM

What about Gagner and Hemsky to Montreal for Galchenyuk and Moen?

Is that close?

#38 Aitch
February 19 2013, 10:38AM

first trick in trying to make a trade is figuring out what you're trying to upgrade. Second trick is figuring out if you're better off getting it from within.

The biggest "weakness" you often hear about the Oilers is in the face-off dot. Our two best options for the top six are both below (maybe way below) average on the dot thus far in their young careers. Assuming no one wants to trade RNH, than the obvious role to upgrade is Gagner's second line spot. There's no point in keeping Sam for the third line. After all, you're gonna have to give up something to get something. Let's also assume you want to get back some size.

Who do you trade for? Well, I did a little research. I want someone who's not getting killed on face-offs (since it was Gagner as a baseline, I went with 45% and above) has decent size (once again, conservative 6 ft or taller) and since it's a top six role, someone with some offensive upside (more than 40 points last season.) That list left me with 30 centres in the league who fit those criteria. Remove the "you're not getting him, mid-season" players (ie. Stamkos, Sedin, Malkin, Staal, etc) and I'm left with about 15 players, many of whom would be viewed as typical third line centres. (ie. Brodziak, Fisher, Peverly etc) or old enough that you wouldn't give up a Gagner-aged player for (Jokinen).

From what's left, most are Western Conference players. Odds aren't someone's not giving you an upgrade mid-season that is going to hurt their chances. So, let's look East. Now, I have it narrowed down to: Bergeron (BOS); Krejci (BOS); Stepan (NYR) or; Bozak (TOR)

My deal:

To EDM: Krejci; Khudobin To BOS: Gagner; Khabibulin

Boston takes on a little salary and gets a veteran back-up goalie for their playoff run. We might need to throw a pick in there to sweeten the pot and tempt Chiarelli

#39 The Oilers Shot Clock
February 19 2013, 10:39AM

Most of these ideas involve getting kids still developing. We have plenty of those already. If we trade talent for niño or johanssen were getting worse and in perpetual rebuild. Get reliable minute eaters for our prospects, not the other way around. Harski, mps, Klefbom, Reider, Marincin, Gernat, Musil. Including draft picks there is combination of a package there that would/should address multiple needs. The brass is too afraid to pull one.

#40 Sox and Oil
February 19 2013, 10:40AM

My Crack Pot Trade Proposal (thats what we're doing right?) would be with the Mighty Brookyn Islanders:

I remember last year they had a hard on for Teemu Harti and that this year Nino Neiderrieitter wasn't very happy with the club. Plus their goaltending is suspect again. So here it goes:

Edmonton sends Teemu Harti, Ryan Whitney (love the dude but its a business), Yann Danis and a 2013 2nd round pick.

New York sends Mark Streit, Brad Boyes and Nino Neider

Might be a slight overpay on Edmontons behalf due to Whitney, Danis, Streit and Boyes all UFA at seasons end. Maybe that 2nd should drop down to a 4th if Streit doesn't sign a extension but his buddy RK should be able to convince him to stay.

#42 BaldG
February 19 2013, 10:43AM

How about Sam Gagner and Ryan Whitney and a mid round pick for the Sean Couturier and Bradon Coburn. Hockey players for players. We get some size in centre and a similar d-man at this point. Move a pick and prospect like Teuburt for Ryan Clowe to help out with more size over the top 9. Oiler now have 2 forwards that can play in the top 9 over 6' 3". Isn't that what we want. Size.

#43 Phixieus666
February 19 2013, 10:46AM

So I like gagner his age combined with his ability to play all forward positions makes him valuable to this team. So no trade Gags.

Though one has to wonder would you be able to get Weber for Hemsky, Smid, and a first round pick in 2014, hell throw omark in as well. Trade Whitney at the deadline. Sign Mark Streit in the off season.

Completely changes the face of your defense and frees up a top six spot for a center with size in the name of Frederik Gauthier.

#44 MarcusBillius
February 19 2013, 10:49AM
Cody anderson wrote:

What about Gagner and Hemsky to Montreal for Galchenyuk and Moen?

Is that close?

Nope. Gagner has an expiring contract and is looking to put up a lot of points - could be a fluke year. This is a good setup for a contract dispute, and the Habs are near-cap as it is.

Hemsky has had injury issues and last year wasn't very productive. More valuable than Moen, and Hemsky would fill a need down the right wing for them, but not enough to offset bringing Galchenyuk up in your own system, raising him as a Hab, developing some loyalty, taking advantage of his ELC years and RFA years, and getting him to sign long-term.

#45 Phixieus666
February 19 2013, 10:50AM
BaldG wrote:

I think you are overvaluing the oiler side of the trade.

#46 The Oilers Shot Clock
February 19 2013, 10:50AM

These are very homer offers.

#47 MarcusBillius
February 19 2013, 10:52AM

Anyone thinking of trading Gagner should keep his contract status in mind (it's a contract year!), and the fact that he's consistently putting up big points for the first time in his career... in a shortened season. As a GM, you've got to be dreading that negotiation.

#48 Cody anderson
February 19 2013, 10:53AM
Jason Strudwick wrote:

If you are the gm of the jets do you trade for a guy playing in the minors and a player with a lot of question marks for a top four d man?

Kicks feet sheepishly while looking at the ground.

Sorry had the goggles on

#49 Buke
February 19 2013, 10:53AM

Oh Struds....you just had to open this can of worms didn't you!

@Mike Modano's Dog - Penner was run out of this town two years ago because the compete and effort level was not there. What has changed? Now he is being run out of LA for the same reason. Penner solves nothing!

Omark and a 5th for McLaren. Toronto can keep that goon. Instead of trying to get more PIMS in your bottom 3 who will play 3-5 minutes a night, I would rather them focus on the top 9. Pass on this thought.

@ Cod Anderson - Trades like Peckam, Tuebert and Whitney for Bogosian only worked in NHL 97...and I am pretty sure even the CPU would say WTF! Then you suggest a trade of a package of 6/7 Dmen for a #1 Dman. Who would do this. Quantity does not land you quality. Would you trade 30,000 bic pens for your car?

@ everyone else - please quit using truculent. Have an original thought of your own. Try words like Hawkish, Cantankerous, Pugnacious, Bellicose or Opprobrious. They all mean the same thing essentially.

#50 Junkdog
February 19 2013, 10:58AM

Biggest need is toughness in the top 6. We need a guy like Lucic. Remember how scared the sabres players were to fight him after he ran Miller. And he can bury the puck too. Would fit in great with Nuge and Ebs. Would hemsky + our first this year get it done? Maybe throw a defense prospect in as well. If I remember right things weren't going so swell with Lucic and the bruins last year. Hard to say what he's worth...... Top 6 of Lucic-Nuge-Ebs....hall-gagner-yak