GDB 20.0: BATTLING THE BLUES

Jason Gregor
March 01 2013 12:41PM

Gotta love the passion of Oilers fans. Screaming, pointing, worried and concerned about one of their players, and tonight you'll do the same as the Oilers look to finish the first third of their nine-game road trip on a high note in St. Louis.

The Oilers shouldn't have got a point in Chicago, but they did. They never win in Dallas, but they did. Tonight they will look for their first back-to-back road wins on consecutive nights since December 1st and 2nd of 2010 when they beat the Habs 4-3 in OT and then spanked the Leafs 5-0.

The Oilers have been incredibly streaky the past few years. Usually the streaks don't go their way, but when they play as well as they did last night, they've been able to maintain that for a few games. The Oilers deserved to win last night, and if they give the same effort tonight they'll have an excellent chance to put themselves right in the playoff mix.

An Oiler regulation win and a Minnesota loss would put the Oilers in a tie with LA, St. Louis, Minnesota, San Jose and Dallas with 22 points. Tied for 6th to 11th. The western conference is tight like first night and it will probably stay that way the entire month of March.

Last year the Blues won with stingy defence and stellar goaltending, but this year their goalies have been average and the Blues are giving up almost one more goal per game than last year. In 2012 they led the NHL with a 1.89 GAA, but this year they sit 18th at 2.84. The Oilers are 13th at 2.58 and currently they have the better goaltender.

Devan Dubnyk is 10th in SV% amongst goalies who have started at least ten games.

He has a very respectable 0.921 SV% in 15 starts.

The Blues goalies are barely treading water:

Jaroslav Halak: 8 starts and a 0.904 SV%
Jake Allen:         4 starts and a 0.895 SV%
Brian Elliott:       7 starts and a 0.849 SV%

Halak will start for the Blues. The interesting thing about the Blues goaltending is that they don't face many shots. The Blues are allowing a league-best 22.9 shots against/game. The Oilers are 29th in shots allowed at 33.5/game.

Last year the Blues were also first in shots against/game at 26.7, but Elliot had a 0.940 SV% in 36 starts, while Halak had a 0.926 in 46 starts. Amazing how different things look from year to year.

LINEUP

Hall/Nugent-Hopkins/Eberle
Jones/Gagner/Hemsky
Smyth/Belanger/Yakupov
Eager/Vande Velde/Petrell

The only lineup change we might see is Magnus Paajarvi slotting in for Ryan Smyth. Krueger hinted earlier he might give his veteran a night off during back-to-back games, but considering how strong the team played last night I doubt he makes the switch. Jones is a little sore after the Benn crosscheck, but he will dress.

Smid/Petry
N.Schultz/J.Schultz
Peckham//Whitney

Potter left the game after his head hit the boards, and Mark Fistric has a sore elbow so Ryan Whitney and Theo Peckham will draw in.

Dubnyk

QUICK HITS

  • I am taking a hiatus from talking about Magnus Paajarvi. At this point he isn't more effective than Ryan Jones or Ryan Smyth. He isn't better offensively than Eberle, Hall, Yakupov or Hemsky, and his game is not suited to being an energy guy who plays physical on the fourth line. I'd much rather play him 20 minutes a night in OKC than sit in the pressbox or play 10-11 minutes when he does draw in.
     
  • That doesn't mean he won't be an NHL player soon, I just don't see where he fits in on this roster when everyone is healthy. It doesn't make sense to me to have a 21-year-old playing 11 minutes a night or sitting in the pressbox, when he could be playing PP, PK and ES in the minors.
     
  • For those who believe advanced stats always tell the truth, is it possible that Paajarvi is a better advanced stat player, but Jones produces more on-ice production? I know this might be really crazy to believe, but is is possible possession metrics aren't perfect. Maybe they don't tell the entire story. Just a thought.
     
  • When the Oilers inevitably trade one or two of their forwards, that doesn't mean they aren't good players. Many good and even great players have been dealt. The key isn't who they move, it is who they get in return. They are past the point of trading for picks and prospects. They need to acquire proven NHL talent.
     
  • The Senators, Jets, Habs and Leafs are playing well. If the Oilers can get on a roll how awesome would it be to have six Canadian teams in the playoffs. I don't see a scenario this year that has both Calgary and Edmonton making it, so there won't be seven, but it would be great to see six of 16 playoff teams reside in Canada.
     
  • Oiler fans are going to have a field day with the Ryan O'Reilly saga. It turns out that because O'Reilly played two games in Russia after the season started, so he would have had to clear waivers if the Avalanche hadn't matched the Flames offer sheet. Meaning the Flames would have lost their two picks and O'Reilly to waivers. Wow, Oiler fans will chuckle while Flames fans will be groaning. Great scope by Chris Johnson from Sportsnet. Story is here.
     
  • The new CBA allows a team to sign one of their own RFA or draft picks out of Europe during the season without making them subject to waivers. This is a new rule in the CBA. It is rule 13:23 if you are a CBA fanatic.

GAME DAY PREDICTION: Many asked me to keep picking against the Oilers on this trip since they already have 3 of 4 points. I don't buy into that at all, but since it is Positive Friday I'll play along. Blues win 3-1.

OBVIOUS GAME DAY PREDICTION: All the single Nation readers down at the Pint off Whyte for the Nation's 5th Birthday party will miss most of the first period trying a variety of unique unsuccessful pick up lines on Arianny Celeste.

NOT-SO-OBVIOUS GAME DAY PREDICTION: Nail Yakupov and Vladimir Tarasenko are tied for third in rookie goal scoring with six goals, but instead of scoring they will shock everyone and drop the mitts after they get into a lengthy verbal sparring match. No one on the ice will have a clue what they said to get each other riled up, but both benches get fired up watching them exchange blows. After the game both wouldn't divulge what they discussed on the ice, but a lip reader will tweet the exchange.

Yakupov: "Let's show Plums that Russians know how to fight."
Tarasenko: "His name isn't Plums, it is Prunes."
Yakupov: "What ever we need to show him that Russians punch better than Semin."
Tarasenko: "I heard your sister is in the country now, can you give me her number so I can see her when we come to Edmonton."
Yakupov: "That is onside man, way onside. You want to go for a kayak ride?"
Tarasenko: "First plums, now onside and kayak instead of offside and canoe. Your English worse than sister's kiss."
Both drop gloves and fans from both teams love the emotion from their youngsters. 

RECENTLY BY JASON GREGOR

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
One of Canada's most versatile sports personalities. Jason hosts The Jason Gregor Show, weekdays from 2 to 6 p.m., on TSN 1260, and he writes a column every Monday in the Edmonton Journal. You can follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/JasonGregor
Avatar
#51 BleedingOil
March 01 2013, 09:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Hayek

we played much better against Dallas. We dont have to suck so hard against St Louis. They are NOT a better team....they play better. 4 unanswered goals? The D was Horrific, RNH is underperforming and positionally, we were lost. We need to dump, chase gain control, use our Blueline, shoot the puck, crash the net and collect garbage. What do we do? Make long own zone to neutral zone passes, dipsy doodle across blueline, pass puck trough the zone, hope a player is near the puck, wait for the goalie to go to bench before we shoot, lose puck, defense tries to pinch in, 2 on 1 coming now, forwards afraid to back check and Dubnyk takes a laser shot for a nice rebound or pinball goal through traffic. We are fast, we can thread needles through traffic, we have bangers and crashers, we have people who can fire quick one timers and a few great back checkers. My expectations are for Katz to say enough is enough. You should watch a game or two.

Avatar
#52 Poolanov
March 01 2013, 09:39PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

He has the lowest shooting % of any top line center in the league because he only enters scoring areas when he feels its safe to do so.

Avatar
#53 David S
March 01 2013, 09:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

This was one of those games when Tom Renney would have lost it in the post game scrum last year. Terrible effort after a terrific game last night. This team will go nowhere until they figure out that they have to play nuts out every night.

Avatar
#54 GVBlackhawk
March 01 2013, 09:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@oilcan

Jones and Eager on the top 2 lines? I think I just threw up in my mouth a bit. I've got a new suggestion: trade both of them. Eager is not a good hockey player at all. Jones was a train wreck tonight -- cheating for offense, last man backchecking, unwilling to engage in puck battles. He was absolutely awful. Sell high on Jones before he falls down and injures one of his teammates (see Gagner from previous game, see Gagner from last season).

Then you want to move the top scorer to the third line? Um...what?

Avatar
#55 OilLeak
March 01 2013, 09:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Poolanov wrote:

You must be watching different hockey than me Mr Hayek

I think you're watching different hockey. Dallas was outplaying Edmonton last night until a couple of weird bounces and bad goals let in by Lehtonen. Dallas kind of quit playing after that, the score flattered the Oilers last night. Also, St Louis is a far better team than the Oilers, they outshoot and outplay rheir opponents for the most part, but their goaltending has been awful lately and it has caused their recent slide.

Avatar
#56 OilLeak
March 01 2013, 10:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

Gregor, Paajarvi is an infinitely better player than Jones. Paajarvi helps keep the puck out of the defensive zone, a skill most Oilers seem to lack. Paajarvi is also better defensively than Jones, Jones tends to cheat for offense often abandoning his defensive responsibilities to do so.

Jones scores some goals and is a good pker, great, but if that comes at the cost of chances and goals against, then it's not worth a whole lot. The problem with the Oilers is playing guys like Jones and Eager above their depth, this team will be bad until this changes.

Avatar
#57 oilcan
March 01 2013, 10:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

hey gvblackhawk..watch throwing up in your mouth you might choke on it...yes l would move our top "scorer" to the third line..that gagner is our top scorer should illustratre there is a problem..we need change on all the lines..thats the point you clearly are missing

Avatar
#58 oilcan
March 01 2013, 10:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

hey gvblackhawk..watch throwing up in your mouth you might choke on it...yes l would move our top "scorer" to the third line..that gagner is our top scorer should illustratre there is a problem..we need change on all the lines..thats the point you clearly are missing

Avatar
#59 OilLeak
March 01 2013, 10:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
oilcan wrote:

hey gvblackhawk..watch throwing up in your mouth you might choke on it...yes l would move our top "scorer" to the third line..that gagner is our top scorer should illustratre there is a problem..we need change on all the lines..thats the point you clearly are missing

And your plan is to replace the good players on the top lines with a bunch of plugs that spend their time chasing their tail against the opposition's depth lines? Bravo, you're hired.

Avatar
#60 spliff
March 01 2013, 11:29PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

most american based teams have to put a good product on the ice, due to fickle fans and competition from other entertainment options. Lowe can continue to put a crap product on the ice and never worry about selling tickets...because its the only show in town.

Avatar
#61 David S
March 01 2013, 11:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Only upside to this game thread is Salma Hayak posting comments. I mean, she's a world-class rocket if you ask me.*

*May be drunk

**No. On second thought, pretty sure I'm drunk.

Avatar
#62 geeker99
March 02 2013, 12:23AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I don't think Katz really cares about how this team is playing, if you ask me he is waiting for the new rink to be built before they get his attention. which really sucks for us fans. I just hope the quality on this team isn't sick of losing by that time. The glaring holes on this team are blinding. buttersoft to play against and I don't see any help in the org too fix it. i thought Pecks played alright tonight. he was not the problem. too many problems in this line up.

Avatar
#63 Hayek
March 02 2013, 12:41AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
BleedingOil wrote:

we played much better against Dallas. We dont have to suck so hard against St Louis. They are NOT a better team....they play better. 4 unanswered goals? The D was Horrific, RNH is underperforming and positionally, we were lost. We need to dump, chase gain control, use our Blueline, shoot the puck, crash the net and collect garbage. What do we do? Make long own zone to neutral zone passes, dipsy doodle across blueline, pass puck trough the zone, hope a player is near the puck, wait for the goalie to go to bench before we shoot, lose puck, defense tries to pinch in, 2 on 1 coming now, forwards afraid to back check and Dubnyk takes a laser shot for a nice rebound or pinball goal through traffic. We are fast, we can thread needles through traffic, we have bangers and crashers, we have people who can fire quick one timers and a few great back checkers. My expectations are for Katz to say enough is enough. You should watch a game or two.

St.Louis is a better team. Even when they are on the road, and playing in Edmonton, betting markets have the Blues as the favorite.

Avatar
#64 geeker99
March 02 2013, 12:47AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

and they missing steen, A macdonald, terasenko? yeah the blues are good.

Avatar
#65 mr obvious
March 02 2013, 02:25AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

The Oilers are not tough enough to compete in the nhl.

Realistically a team can not compete if they don't have respect.

Eberle gets put head first into the boards against dallas and their guy finishes the game??? Plus they beak the bench without fear??

Too soft to be taken seriously right now.

Avatar
#66 Walter Sobchak
March 02 2013, 04:55AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Jones was bad tonight.......really bad.

This team has to get rid of these players.

Peckham - Potter - Whitney - Jones - Belanger - Paajarvi - Hartikainen - VandeVelde - Petrell - Eager - Gagner - Hemsky - Khabibulin -

Gagner and Hemsky are the Oilers only real trading assets.

The Oilers will never win with these players on the team.

This is complete incompetent management.

Avatar
#67 Twittagra
March 02 2013, 04:57AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

What did you guys think about that GWG tonight? Yikes. Team played poorly but wow #juniorB. Not hanging the game on #40 but wow. Those bad goals are still a huge part of his game.

Avatar
#68 Time Travelling Sean
March 02 2013, 05:44AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@Walter Sobchak

GET OFF PETRELL ZOMG. Didn't he JUST have a 2 assist game? LEAVE HIM ALONE :@

Belanger will leave after next season if not sooner, what's wrong with Harti? Isn't he hard and gritty and everything else we need? VV is only here because Horc is injured. Khabi is leaving after this season or sooner too.

Avatar
#69 BleedingOil
March 02 2013, 06:55AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Hayek wrote:

St.Louis is a better team. Even when they are on the road, and playing in Edmonton, betting markets have the Blues as the favorite.

Is that your only argument? St Louis is a better team? Riddle me this.....Do they play better hockey, or collectively do they have better players? I would take our team overall playing a St Louis school of hockey. The players are there, just not the system. We need 2 things...bigger #1C and a tough guy with skills ie Lucic.

Avatar
#70 Fresh Mess
March 02 2013, 07:09AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Time to give Kevin Lowe another raise and multi year extension. Perhaps a more senior-sounding title too. It's the oiler way.

Avatar
#71 DieHard
March 02 2013, 09:02AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

You guys are awesome.

Avatar
#72 Walter Sobchak
March 02 2013, 09:24AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Time Travelling Sean wrote:

GET OFF PETRELL ZOMG. Didn't he JUST have a 2 assist game? LEAVE HIM ALONE :@

Belanger will leave after next season if not sooner, what's wrong with Harti? Isn't he hard and gritty and everything else we need? VV is only here because Horc is injured. Khabi is leaving after this season or sooner too.

No, I won't.

Just because you like him doesn't mean he's good, just because he pitched in two assists doesn't mean he's good.

He's not good enough, he's a boarderline AHL hockey player who doesn't hit, doesn't fight has absolutely no grit.

What's wrong with Harti, hmmmmm, he's a AHL hockey player, if he's so good why is only playing half the time?

Take off the Oiler glasses.

Avatar
#73 Rama Lama
March 02 2013, 09:30AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@BleedingOil

Maybe Krueger can give the troops a motivational speech .........that should fix everything.

I agree with your assessment 100%. It looks like the kids are starting to believe their own hype.......too much highlight reel type effort.

Avatar
#74 Time Travelling Sean
March 02 2013, 09:38AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Walter Sobchak wrote:

No, I won't.

Just because you like him doesn't mean he's good, just because he pitched in two assists doesn't mean he's good.

He's not good enough, he's a boarderline AHL hockey player who doesn't hit, doesn't fight has absolutely no grit.

What's wrong with Harti, hmmmmm, he's a AHL hockey player, if he's so good why is only playing half the time?

Take off the Oiler glasses.

Petrell is gritty, he DOES hit, he does PK on the 10th ranked? pk unit, and just the fact that he pitches in offense every now and then is gravy. Fighting or not fighting doesn't prove your a gritty player either.

Harti is great down low, he's good at keeping possession when he does have it down low, he just doesn't translate that into offense effectively yet. When was the last time Teemu was a healthy scratch? He has played 17 of our 19 games?

Also just because Ryan Jones had a bad game doesn't mean he's soft, unproductive, and isn't what this team needs in its bottom 6 going forward.

Avatar
#75 Rama Lama
March 02 2013, 09:47AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Time Travelling Sean wrote:

Petrell is gritty, he DOES hit, he does PK on the 10th ranked? pk unit, and just the fact that he pitches in offense every now and then is gravy. Fighting or not fighting doesn't prove your a gritty player either.

Harti is great down low, he's good at keeping possession when he does have it down low, he just doesn't translate that into offense effectively yet. When was the last time Teemu was a healthy scratch? He has played 17 of our 19 games?

Also just because Ryan Jones had a bad game doesn't mean he's soft, unproductive, and isn't what this team needs in its bottom 6 going forward.

Pettrell and Harti are to only two guys who play an overall physical game.........without sacrificing defense.

The most useless Oiler player ( perhaps in our history) is Eric Belenger. Outside of an average faceoff percentage, this guy bring absolutely NOTHING to the table.

The only other guy I can think of that may be worse, is Anson Carter.

Avatar
#76 Walter Sobchak
March 02 2013, 09:47AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Time Travelling Sean

Ok, go look at hits, then tell me if any of these guys over an extended period hit.

Your looking at a mirage.

Just off my head, jones hit like 150 players last year, it's a ridiculous low number given what the majority think he is....you included.

As for Petrell and Harti, both players are in and out of the line up because there expendable and replaceable.

Ask yourself this, when RNH and Eberle start to kill penalties, which they will very soon if not this year, whom do you suppose will be the player not killing Penalties?

I will make you a personnel bet......If the Oilers trade Harti or Petrell they are out of the NHL two years later........Book it.

Edit;

FYI Jordan Tootoo has almost identical stats as Ryan Jones, he plays on the Red Wings forth line........not the second line like Jones does.........see the problem here.

Avatar
#77 Walter Sobchak
March 02 2013, 09:49AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Rama Lama wrote:

Pettrell and Harti are to only two guys who play an overall physical game.........without sacrificing defense.

The most useless Oiler player ( perhaps in our history) is Eric Belenger. Outside of an average faceoff percentage, this guy bring absolutely NOTHING to the table.

The only other guy I can think of that may be worse, is Anson Carter.

Harti and Petrell both have been getting burned, Harti 5x5 and Petrell on the PK.

Small sample size this year, but it's happening more.

Avatar
#78 oilcan
March 02 2013, 10:06AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@OilLeak

back to my plan...l would like them to look at two man skill combinations with a retrieve and pound compliment...for your education hockey history approves the formula...gretsky/kurri and ....???? fill in the blank...sometimes Semenko sometimes Dave Brown...the great Believeau played alot with John Ferguson and if you are too young to remember Eager and Jones are far better skaters...try this...rnh/eberle...hall/hemsky and gagner/yak...fill in the combinations with symth..harti jones or eager...looking for chemistry ...stop running the same combinations out night after night getting the same sad result

Avatar
#79 Gilmore Tuttle
March 02 2013, 12:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Rumor around the zamboni bay is Yak and a 3rd line/AHL ham and egger for Lucic and no name ham and egger.

We shall see.

Avatar
#80 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
March 02 2013, 12:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Gilmore Tuttle wrote:

Rumor around the zamboni bay is Yak and a 3rd line/AHL ham and egger for Lucic and no name ham and egger.

We shall see.

this proves the long rumored theory that people around zamboni bays are not very smart

Avatar
#81 OilLeak
March 02 2013, 01:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
oilcan wrote:

back to my plan...l would like them to look at two man skill combinations with a retrieve and pound compliment...for your education hockey history approves the formula...gretsky/kurri and ....???? fill in the blank...sometimes Semenko sometimes Dave Brown...the great Believeau played alot with John Ferguson and if you are too young to remember Eager and Jones are far better skaters...try this...rnh/eberle...hall/hemsky and gagner/yak...fill in the combinations with symth..harti jones or eager...looking for chemistry ...stop running the same combinations out night after night getting the same sad result

I'm pretty sure you're trolling now. Jones is one of the worst skaters on the team, constantly falling down for no reason. Who cares if Eager skates fast, he never has the puck, because he's terrible at hockey. Good players hold onto puck and create chances, like Hall and Hemsky. Bad players like Eager and Jones chase the puck and bleed chances against.

Also, who cares what happened in the 80s? Hockey has changed and there is no Gretzky on this team. Watch the good teams in the league, they have players who are good at hockey on all of their lines, or at least the top 3. Grit and truculence is just BS and not worth a damn thing if the player is terrible.

Avatar
#82 Hayek
March 02 2013, 02:17PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
BleedingOil wrote:

Is that your only argument? St Louis is a better team? Riddle me this.....Do they play better hockey, or collectively do they have better players? I would take our team overall playing a St Louis school of hockey. The players are there, just not the system. We need 2 things...bigger #1C and a tough guy with skills ie Lucic.

Both, they are a better team, and collectively they have better players. You can play whatever system you want, but all systems are fairly similar in today's NHL. Therefore talent is the biggest determination in winning hockey games. That's why there is a strong correlation between salary and winning percentage in winning games.

I don't understand how you think RNH is the problem though, he is one of three Oilers on the team that has outshot the opposition this year. Could we use a bigger center, sure I guess. But bigger alone doesn't win you games, you need someone bigger with RNH's level of talent(which is not easy to find). Could we use someone like Lucic, sure, who couldn't? How do you get a player like this? How do you make his salary fit under the cap?

You don't need size, but it is nice to have. I'll take Damien Brunner, Ray Whitney, and Linus Omark on this team, who are all small guys, and I guarantee we outshoot the opponent more, score more goals, win more games.

Adding size is such a misnomer among simpletons, adding talent is what wins more games. If you add talent along with size is the only way that size has any correlation wto winning.

Avatar
#83 Wax Man Riley
March 02 2013, 02:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Hayek wrote:

Both, they are a better team, and collectively they have better players. You can play whatever system you want, but all systems are fairly similar in today's NHL. Therefore talent is the biggest determination in winning hockey games. That's why there is a strong correlation between salary and winning percentage in winning games.

I don't understand how you think RNH is the problem though, he is one of three Oilers on the team that has outshot the opposition this year. Could we use a bigger center, sure I guess. But bigger alone doesn't win you games, you need someone bigger with RNH's level of talent(which is not easy to find). Could we use someone like Lucic, sure, who couldn't? How do you get a player like this? How do you make his salary fit under the cap?

You don't need size, but it is nice to have. I'll take Damien Brunner, Ray Whitney, and Linus Omark on this team, who are all small guys, and I guarantee we outshoot the opponent more, score more goals, win more games.

Adding size is such a misnomer among simpletons, adding talent is what wins more games. If you add talent along with size is the only way that size has any correlation wto winning.

Ms. Salma Hayek, you want MORE skill in your lineup AND want Omark?

Omark is in the Swiss league and not the NHL for a reason.

Avatar
#84 GVBlackhawk
March 02 2013, 04:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
oilcan wrote:

back to my plan...l would like them to look at two man skill combinations with a retrieve and pound compliment...for your education hockey history approves the formula...gretsky/kurri and ....???? fill in the blank...sometimes Semenko sometimes Dave Brown...the great Believeau played alot with John Ferguson and if you are too young to remember Eager and Jones are far better skaters...try this...rnh/eberle...hall/hemsky and gagner/yak...fill in the combinations with symth..harti jones or eager...looking for chemistry ...stop running the same combinations out night after night getting the same sad result

You are basing your strategy on the performances of Gretzky and Beliveau?

News flash!!! These were generational talents. One is arguably the best player to ever play the game.

Please think about what you are saying because you are talking crazy and losing all credibility.

Avatar
#85 GVBlackhawk
March 02 2013, 04:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
oilcan wrote:

hey gvblackhawk..watch throwing up in your mouth you might choke on it...yes l would move our top "scorer" to the third line..that gagner is our top scorer should illustratre there is a problem..we need change on all the lines..thats the point you clearly are missing

I follow the team very closely and don't miss much. The major problem is still on defense. If the Oilers don't improve the defense, they will not show improvement. Period.

Avatar
#86 Hayek
March 02 2013, 07:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Wax Man Riley wrote:

Ms. Salma Hayek, you want MORE skill in your lineup AND want Omark?

Omark is in the Swiss league and not the NHL for a reason.

If you are denying that Omark lacks skill, or isn't talented, you lose all credibility. Omark is in the Swiss League because the Oilers fail to reconginize that having talented players in your bottom 9 will allow you to outscore your opposition.

And who is Salma Hayek?

Avatar
#87 Oilcan
March 03 2013, 08:53AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
GVBlackhawk wrote:

You are basing your strategy on the performances of Gretzky and Beliveau?

News flash!!! These were generational talents. One is arguably the best player to ever play the game.

Please think about what you are saying because you are talking crazy and losing all credibility.

News flash...just having an opinion doesn't give you credibility ..that's all you have is an opinion..you think you are the only one "watching the game closely and you don't miss much" ?...you miss a lot actually ..like the context of a good argument..the comments I was making regarding Gretzky and others is called an analogy ...and yes it's great to have puck possession but when you have to retrieve the puck you need bangers to bang...just my opinion ...here's another...I think you take yourself too seriously

Avatar
#88 GVBlackhawk
March 03 2013, 09:58AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Oilcan wrote:

News flash...just having an opinion doesn't give you credibility ..that's all you have is an opinion..you think you are the only one "watching the game closely and you don't miss much" ?...you miss a lot actually ..like the context of a good argument..the comments I was making regarding Gretzky and others is called an analogy ...and yes it's great to have puck possession but when you have to retrieve the puck you need bangers to bang...just my opinion ...here's another...I think you take yourself too seriously

Thanks for your rambling nonsense. Your argument had no context and I called you out on it. Don't attempt to educate me -- you'll only embarrass yourself.

Your analogy is ridiculous. You are saying that Gretzky's success was based on Semenko's 'banging'.

Try banging your head against the wall.

Comments are closed for this article.