DRUDGERY TAKES A DAY OFF

Robin Brownlee
March 10 2013 09:25PM

Will the Edmonton Oilers have a better second half to this lockout-shortened 48-game season? And, even if they do, will it be enough to make them playoff contenders in the Western Conference?

I don't know the answer to that, but Sunday's all-over-the-place 6-5 nail-biter over Chicago at the United Center – the Blackhawks first regulation time loss at home this season -- damn sure was worth the price of admission and kicked off the second half of Edmonton's schedule with a bang.

Languishing in the basement of the Western Conference when the game began and on a five-game losing streak, the Oilers jumped out to a 4-0 lead and then hung on for dear life to win for just the second time in eight games on this nine-game road trip after being shutout in back-to-back games.

Along the way, the Oilers lost starter Devan Dubnyk, who took a knee in the coconut from Teemu Hartikainen, leaving third-string stopper Yann Danis to close the deal and send the Oilers to Colorado to wrap-up the trip feeling, I'm guessing, pretty good about themselves.

It wasn't remotely close to the way coach Ralph Krueger would have drawn it up for Game 25, but it was two points for a team that was in the throes of a difficult stretch and starting to look like a bunch that was flat-out beaten down and ready to fold.

WHAT'S NEXT?

"I'm proud of the team to be able to dig this one out," Krueger said after the Oilers improved to 9-11-5 for 23 points going into Denver for a match-up with the Avalanche Tuesday.

People like to call wins like this one "character builders." Maybe so, but if the Oilers are going to make anything resembling a concerted playoff push in the 23 games that remain, character-builders are going to have to take a backseat to points in the standings.

It goes without saying there's obviously a helluva long way to go, but there is something to be said for the lift, however brief, a win like this one provides. There's been a lot of heads hanging and shoulders slumping over the past few weeks, and that starts permeate a locker room. "Here we go again . . ."

Against the Blackhawks, Sam Gagner continued to shove it to his critics with two more goals. Captain Shawn Horcoff, who called a team meeting Saturday, made his return from a busted knuckle and scored a goal. Buzz-saw Mike Brown contributed with his gloves on with the 1-0 goal and continues to look like a timely and much-needed pick-up. Hartikainen returned to the fold. Ryan Whitney looked like, well, the player he used to be.

So, what now?

DOWN THE STRETCH

While it's tempting to say the win over the Blackhawks could set a tone heading into Denver, that tone changes completely if the Oilers revert to recent form against the Avalanche. Given the swings in performance we've seen this season, that's entirely possible. Maybe even probable.

Will the veteran leadership of Horcoff make a difference in the remaining 23 games? Is Whitney finding his game or was Sunday a blip on his way to a new address at the trade deadline? And what of Dubnyk? If he's not ready to go against Colorado, it'll be Danis and somebody not named Nikolai Khabibulin tending the twine.

That'll play out, as it always does, soon enough. Besides, plotting a trend for the Oilers, as we've found out, has been next to impossible, so it's probably prudent not to read too much into what we saw against the Blackhawks.

What I do know is this: for the first off-day in a long time, the Oilers have something to feel good about as they make their way to Denver instead of digesting yet more defeat and disappointment. Likewise their fans, who've had precious little to cheer about lately. Take a day to enjoy it.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#2 oildawg99
March 11 2013, 09:46AM

Soemone call the wahbulance cuz some oielr "fans" are not happy

Wahhhh the Oilers won but they didn't win right

wahhhh horcoff scored a goal and played a great game but he didn't have a great game right

Wahhhh we beat the number one team in the league but we just didn't beat them right

Wahhhh trade all our veteran players its so easy to do

wahh why won't Boston give us Lucic for hesmky

Wahhh why won't the preds give us Shea Weber for nothing?

Its really sad to see my fellow Oiler fans turning into whiney canuck type fans. Cheer for your team damn it, if not move on to another team. We are five points out right now ( as most sensible people prediucted we would be) give or take a few points so try and enjoy yourselves for one friggen day

#3 OilersBrass
March 10 2013, 09:38PM

Horcs has been the missing key to getting wins this whole time!

#4 oildawg99
March 11 2013, 10:20AM
Yourmomthinksimhot wrote:

Only 5 points out hey..... This might interest you as to how big of a hill 5 pts is to climb. http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Western/Northwest/Edmonton_ChanceWillMakePlayoffs.html

Apparently you missed the entire point of my post but thats ok you were busy looking for negative stats for some unknown reason as I never at any point said it was an easy climb.

So we are 5 points out and its a tough hill to climb I should start whining with the rest of these so called fans? Even after a win?

No thanks, I will cheer for my team and hope to have some meaningful games near the end of the season.

#5 oildawg99
March 11 2013, 11:17AM

@nuge2nail

yeah, saw the Preds and Wings games, Minny too. Horrible. I understand frustrated fans after those losses flipping out. But why not enjoy the win?

I am also not saying that your trades are not plausible or even makes sense but it seems that oilers fans forget that in order to make a trade you need a willing partner.

Oilers: Hey boston how about a trade hemsky for Lucic staright up?

Boston: not really looking at a deal right now

Oilers: but my fans think its a good idea

Boston: Well if they think its a good idea it must be, when do we get this deal signed?

Talk about delusional. if you think fans turning on the team is going to breed some kind of championship team you are out of your mind. What I can see it doing is driving potential free agents from ever wanting to come here ( we have this problem already) convince the young players that this is not where they want to be, and generally build an atmosphere of negativity around the team, similar to the old Maple Leafs.

This is not to say that management has not failed miserably and some changes are needed. I am just saying enjoy the win, as a fan of the team.

#6 PutzStew
March 10 2013, 09:27PM

Really. One game and they almost lost it.

Robin you're usually the sensible one around here. Did you drown a couple Kool Aids tonight.

Forget it. Fire the Management, get rid of (or replace with a less expensive but better suited model see Horcoff. Sigh. I can't believe I am saying Horcoff has any value) the washed out veterans and make it a goal to get into the playoffs. Quit Patting each other on the back for anything until you make the playoffs.

Anyone else remember the "Lowered Expectations" commercials on SNL? The director of those should make Commercials for the Oilers.

#7 Señor
March 10 2013, 09:49PM

Problem is after a win like this, management believes they have the right pieces and will continue to avoid solving obvious problems. "We beat Chicago! What's the problem?"

#8 PutzStew
March 10 2013, 10:03PM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

You missed the point or chose to ignore it. Given what we've seen, there's a 99-out-of-100 chance this win doesn't "signify" anything beyond two points.

But if you can't take a day to enjoy a win, however disjointed, over the Blackhawks in Chicago before getting back to the drudgery of bitching and moaning about the big picture, you need to take a break from this "fan" thing.

Lowered Expectations Robin? Not my thing bud. I'm a fan and thats why I'm not letting up or stopping to enjoy the moment. One win is for losers.

As for bitching and moaning.

Win another one.

And another one.

Then maybe we'll talk.

Making the playoffs 3 of the last 12 years.....LOSERS

I'm so use to them losing that I only get pissed now if they win. What can I say.

I do agree with you. After they flop in Colorado, everything will be back to normal and I can go one living in Peace and tranquility.

#9 PutzStew
March 10 2013, 10:04PM
Señor wrote:

This is the reason I get so mad. You could here the popping of corks from the Oilers Management suite as soon as the last buzzer went off.

#10 geoilersgist
March 11 2013, 10:24AM

@oildawg99

Its great they are only 5 points out. I am happy they are as close as they are but the fact is we are only 1 point out of last and the team in last has 2 games in hand on us. What improvement has there been this year over last? NONE, I enjoy when they win and hate when they lose, but something needs to be done to this team. I don't know what but something has to give sooner rather than later.

#11 Yourmomthinksimhot
March 11 2013, 10:35AM

@oildawg99

I'm not whining actually. I'm simply making a statement that using "we're 5 points out" as an implication that we're even remotely close or as a positive statement is a waste of a sentence. 6% is our chance of making the playoffs this morning, "5 points out" doesn't matter... at all.

I also in fact am a fan and I find it disappointing that this team is yet again going to miss the playoffs. Whether we are coming off a win or not this is getting old and frustrating. Fans on this website have earned the right to complain.

Get over it.

#12 oildawg99
March 11 2013, 10:57AM

@Yourmomthinksimhot

Hey man its cool. Anyone can complain. I was just pointing out that it is pretty pathetic of our fans to complain even when we win a game.

To say I am not disappointed with the season this far would be an understatement and I also feel there are changes that need to be made.

Also just wondering how far your b*tching and moaning has got you. other than pissed off even when your team wins?

Everyone has the right to complain my point that its confusing to see so called fans complaining after a win against the #1 team in the league.

I am sure someone like yourself would say beating Chicago "does not matter at all"but I would argue it does as we are now 2 points higher in the standings, I would also say a 6% chance is better than 0 so in fact when you say it does not matter at all you are again whining? but thats ok, you have earned that right as well.

#13 OilersBrass
March 11 2013, 11:20AM
oildawg99 wrote:

I was just thinking that! People complain about the lack of scoring and winning games, and even when the Oilers address both of those problems they still find a reason to complain! As an Oilers fan, sure it was hard to watch the last bit of that game last night, but it sure was a fun game to watch.

#14 Ducey
March 11 2013, 11:22AM
Next up, is Connor McJesus. wrote:

SELL THE FARM!

As long as they give it back against the Avalanche tommorow, last evenings victory won't hurt managements ultimate goal.

Hall to center, draft Drouin in a few weeks, then back up the truck to please David Poile. Weber would be the ultimate wow move to help MacTavish (the new GM) get started on the right foot.

Yes, its so easy. I can't believe Tambo hasn't traded for Weber already! Fire him! Why don't the Oilers trade for Crosby, Stamkos and Quick! They would be sooo good!

What are you guys, 12?

There is absolutely NO WAY that NASH trades Weber. Period.

You want Weber? Draft Seth Jones.

#15 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
March 11 2013, 11:47AM

@Ducey

There are a number of reasons a deal like this could happen. Whose to say Poile isn't feeling the pinch from ownership next summer if the Preds fail to make the playoffs? That contract has to be a ball and chain around the neck in a revenue sharing dependant market like Nashville. This money issue alone leads me to believe moving Weber isn't such a reach.

Seth Jones is nothing more than Adam Larsson 2. Fack that, he's not even the best d'man on the Winterhawks. Don't buy into all that projected imagery and hope of what he may/may not be in 7 yrs.

#16 Hammers
March 10 2013, 10:11PM

In other words enjoy it while it lasts as tomorrow is another day . This doesn't change a GM decision and how many players they need to move .

#17 DigDeepNBleedBlue
March 10 2013, 10:15PM

@PutzStew

Ice Cube said it best! "A B**ch is a B**ch." And, the name, sir, is fitting.

Nice effort, boys! Way to go, Blue! Lets make it two in row!

#18 PutzStew
March 10 2013, 11:05PM
Ari Gold wrote:

This win will unfortunately pacify the fan-base for a few more games, distracting them from the screaming bitch of a problem in the front office.

Management needs an overhaul. The old boys club needs to be put-down. Fire them and hang them all from the bronze statue out front of Rexall. That'll give incentive to the predecessor.

Ridiculous problems require extreme solutions.

Wow. My comments seem so low key compare to this.

I'm on board with you though.

#19 Taylor Gang
March 10 2013, 11:46PM

Ugh, it's such a hollow victory for two reasons. One: you know what's coming next. Doesn't matter that Horcoff makes our team play better, we have been getting killed in games, and this will only put our guard down. I expect another skid following this. And two, did anyone else notice the fact that after the first period we were getting pummeled by the Blackhawks? Let's face it, the score didn't reflect how the game went.

I noticed something else tonight too. Worryingly, I might have found our problem once and for all (at least for this year). Our defense need an entirely new strategy for breaking out. Take Nick Schultz for example. After hard pressure from the opposition he makes a nice play and checks a player off the puck. And what does he do with it? He throws it down the ice, hoping that the forwards beat their defense to the puck. It almost neglects the play in which his defense is good for. They just grab it and come back into the zone. Please tell me I'm not the only one noticing this.

#20 dougtheslug
March 11 2013, 12:01AM

Come on, guys, isn't it obvious? We just need to schedule more games against the Blackhawks. 33 goals against them in our last 6 contests. 4-1-1. Those guys have nothin', I tell you. Nothin'!

#21 oilman3
March 11 2013, 12:06AM

@Taylor Gang

no you're definitely not the only one noticing it. i think the only "strategy" they have is to ring it around the boards or dump it out unless the other team gives them time and space to carry it out or make a pass. obviously teams are going to take away their space because they know they can force them into turning the puck over again and again...and again. it absolutely drives me nuts. i don't know if this is just a lack of a better plan or not enough skill to move the puck quickly and accurately with a plan going up the ice. there's no question we need some higher grade defenders who can move the puck much more effectively under pressure.

#22 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
March 11 2013, 12:30AM

"...and send the Oilers to Colorado to wrap-up the trip feeling, I'm guessing, pretty good about themselves."

If anyone in the Oilers organization feels good about themselves at all after this road trip, they should be fired immediately.

#23 bwar
March 11 2013, 06:31AM

Nice to see some offense finally. Also nice to see the "talent" dispersed across three lines, potentially making the team nearly viable 5v5. Horcoff did seem to make a difference to the team but at times he seemed very weak and shaky on the puck. I'm worried that he may not be fully healed and might end up playing 5 or 6 games then head back to the IR.

Scoring some goals finally was a very welcomed sight but nearly blowing a four goal lead shows we haven't turned the corner yet.

#24 admiralmark
March 11 2013, 06:55AM

Sheesh.. so much negativity. This team just knocked off most likely the best team in the NHL. A team hungry to get a win after having there winning streak ended. Were they out matched? yah. They are almost always outmatched because Tamblow have decided not to address weaknesses(yet). We started the year by adding 2 rookies to a team that finished 29th... Who actually thought playoffs were probable? Possible.. yes... but probably not. The team is 5 points out of a playoff spot after a brutal road trip. Things are not as far off as it seems. We need to address these weaknesses between now and next season. 1)Top 4 D. 2) Toughness in top 6. 3) Lines 3 and 4 we need to revamp pretty much completely. Now this likely requires a change of about 6 players .. 1 top 4 D man and 1 Top 6 gritty player will be hardest to acquire.. But it can be done. Must be done. And playoffs will be reality next season.

#25 106 and 106
March 11 2013, 07:31AM

LOUD NOISES.

Hey Brownlee - we've been so long without winning, it sort of makes you feel good, doesn't it? There's still a long way to go, but there's nothing wrong with a little bit of optimism...

for once.

#26 Archaeologuy
March 11 2013, 08:54AM

The time change for Daylight savings has been jarring enough, but last night my Calendar changed from 2013 to 1987 back to 2013 in a 3 hour span.

Needless to say, I wouldnt have got the mullet if I knew we would be leaving the 80's so soon.

#27 Jay
March 11 2013, 10:53AM

@oildawg99

It's a shame we can't all stay positive and continue to cheer for a bottom feeding team. We should all just feel privileged that we get to spend our money on a NHL team at all. I'm with you, let's all just stay unjustifiably positive! Winning and improvement needs to be an irrelevant idea.

#28 PutzStew
March 10 2013, 09:46PM
OilersBrass wrote:

Horcs has been the missing key to getting wins this whole time!

SIgh. I know. I hate to admit it but the team needs him. I threw up a little when I said that. That has been the way it's been for a couple years too. The Oilers Record with him in the line up is better then with out. I don't get it because it looks like he is juggling the puck, can't hit the side of a barn, thats if he actually makes contact and really sucks as a hockey player, but for some very strange reason, they do better with him, then with out him.

They need to get rid of Hemsky and Smyth but until they find a viable replacement....Horcoff Stays.

Sigh....why are the Oilers sooo cursed.

#29 Time Travelling Sean
March 10 2013, 09:59PM

We beat Dallas and Colorado as well. Maybe these severe swings in the quality of our play has to do with some learning curve, who knows? all I know is that this game was worth that awful game in Nashville, amazing entertainment.

#30 sizedoesmatter
March 10 2013, 10:03PM

Couldn't agree more Robin nice win by the oilers

#31 Time Travelling Sean
March 10 2013, 10:09PM

@PutzStew

It matters not, if this team has not the pieces these wins will be few and far between, and then management will be gone.

#32 Alsker
March 10 2013, 10:11PM

Positives: We won...Calgary is now 15th in the west. Yes I know they have games in hand(or should I say loses in hand...Rex)All three returning H's were noticable and effective, now to prove its not like Dallas, back to back solid efforts would be nice

#33 PutzStew
March 10 2013, 10:21PM
Time Travelling Sean wrote:

I so hope your right. 12 long years my friend. 12 Long years.

#34 PutzStew
March 10 2013, 10:23PM
DigDeepNBleedBlue wrote:

Ice Cube said it best! "A B**ch is a B**ch." And, the name, sir, is fitting.

Nice effort, boys! Way to go, Blue! Lets make it two in row!

Bahahahahaha. How long you been waiting to use that Quote. What is that like 1994ish???

Your real name isn't Sillis is it?

#35 He Who Knows
March 10 2013, 10:24PM

There is still time to relieve management and the motivational speaker Darryl before the trade deadline. Do not let the current guys make ill-advised moves and then fire them. Do it after Colorado game. DO IT.

#36 PutzStew
March 10 2013, 10:25PM
Hammers wrote:

Crossing fingers, toes, and anything else that will cross. Biggest disappointment will be if they don't all get skidded.

Is Oil drop suppose to be a horror show?

#37 DigDeepNBleedBlue
March 10 2013, 10:31PM

@PutzStew

I dare you to wear that jersey with pride...

#38 Ari Gold
March 10 2013, 11:01PM

Ridiculous problems require extreme solutions.

#39 PutzStew
March 10 2013, 11:02PM
DigDeepNBleedBlue wrote:

I dare you to wear that jersey with pride...

You must be kidding. Have you seen the way this team has played in resent years. My Jersey is stuffed so far back in my closet and it's staying there until some actual changes are made. Something along the headlines of a want add in the journal looking for an individual whom can fill the role of a NHL GM. Must be competent, not have previous ties with the team or be living on success from the glory days, 20+years ago. Also must know how to initiate, complete and win a trade as well as be accountable for any Mis-managements.

Once this happens I will be happy to pull it out and cheer. Until then.....well.... 3/12 years in the playoffs. That's like cheering for a Rick to suddenly jump up and do a jig. Not gonna happen.

#40 nuge2nail
March 10 2013, 11:42PM

Oiler Domination To Follow

This win will only confuse management on the task at hand... which is a complete overhaul.

Hemsky for a late first rounder + prospect. Smid for a late first rounder. Jones for a second rounder. Whitney for a third rounder. Belanger for a third rounder. Khabibulan for a sixth rounder.

The Vets are useless.

Than TRADE all Three First Rounders, all Three Second Rounders, both Third Rounders and Paajarvi, Omark, etc for Shea Weber-if preds dont make the playoffs.

Teams will be looking to dump salary with the cap going down and good players might become available. The picks will help us shop at the draft. The cap space will allow us to trade for or sign the missing peices. Which is obviously size. Anything is better that keeping these guys together.

#41 Mr. Sense Common
March 11 2013, 12:05AM
Señor wrote:

Exactly, 100% right, Tammy and KLowe will now think they should be patient and not make any moves.....sheesh.

How about mike brown? What a beauty. If the oil deleted hemsky, petrol, eager, smythe, jones and added Ott, Dubinsky, Simmons and glen cross....oh man, what a great lineup and balance we'd have

#42 Taylor Gang
March 11 2013, 12:36AM
oilman3 wrote:

Where's Gilbert when you need him? Oh god I can't even hold a straight face saying that! But actually, I feel our woeful 5v5 numbers directly correlate to improper breakout technique. How are we supposed to generate offense if we never have the puck? Almost every game where we've outshot the competition we've won. I don't think our offense is the problem (go figure) despite our poor 5v5 numbers. If management wants to fix our, let's be nice, incomplete defensive unit, we need some solid two way defensemen.

#43 Taylor Gang
March 11 2013, 12:38AM
Jordan Nugent-Hallkins wrote:

Amen

#44 Shane
March 11 2013, 12:49AM

IM SAYING NEGATIVE THINGS!!!! LISTEN TO ME!!!!

#45 Wanye
March 11 2013, 01:04AM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

Amen Robin. Good god PutzStew WE NEED SOME CAUSE FOR POSITIVITY

*goes back to parade route planning*

#46 Oilers4ever
March 11 2013, 01:17AM
nuge2nail wrote:

Oiler Domination To Follow

The Vets are useless.

Truly hope that was sarcasm there.. Weber's good but he's not worth three first round pics.. are you saying he's better than three Halls, three Yakupovs or three RNH's... Not bloody likely...

#47 Taylor Gang
March 11 2013, 01:20AM
Oilers4ever wrote:

To be fair, those picks could be at best, first second and third. Still, three franchise players for one? I'll pass

#48 Taylor Gang
March 11 2013, 01:24AM

Oilers fans must give up on the pipe dream that is Shea Weber. We could make a meme on it.

Signs to team long term

Becomes trade bait for oilers

#49 pan0ramic
March 11 2013, 04:24AM

We're still in BIG trouble as we got out-shot, out-chanced, out-drawed, and out-played.

We've done nothing to fix these problems and we're still at the bottom of the league in faceoffs, even strength goals for, and shots against.

#50 non descript
March 11 2013, 06:23AM

they only show up to play every couple of weeks so i wouldnt be overly concerned about a winning steak clouding anyones judgement.

besides, tambo et all dont have a clue.