GDB 21.0: A NON WILD AFFAIR

Wanye
March 03 2013 01:22PM

Rest assured a game against the Minnesota Wild will be anything but a wild affair. The team plays a defensive style so boring the Pentagon is looking to develop a way to weaponize it and bring it into battle. "Project: Lethal Boredom"  is expected to be a fully functional option in the aresenal of freedom within a decade.

Boring or not the Oil are going to have to figure something out and walk away with some points tonight as this lockout shortened season is already hanging in the balance. The Wild sit comfortably in 10th place in the Western Conference at 10-8-2 and our upstart Oilers are temporarily in 12th place at 8-8-4 and looking to rocket up the charts.

The Oil are going to have to find a way to win without the services of Taylor Hall, who is still feeling the effects from a sore hamstring injury suffered last game agsint the Blues. Says Coach Krueger, "Taylor is still feeling a strain that we want to err to the cautious side. This type of injury, we can give him four days of rest as opposed to forcing him in today. He's day-to-day but we expect him back very soon."

Which also means we can scratch "watch Hall hammer Clutterbuck to show he ain't afraid" off the OilersNation Game Bingo Cards for tonight.

LINEUP

According to Jason Gregor who texted me "here are the lines in advance so you don't screw it all up like you did last game" these are the non-screwed up lines for today.

F

91-89-14

64-93-83

94-20-28

55-54-37

D

5-2

15-19

6-24

Starting goalies have not yet been announced.

PREDICTIONS

GAME DAY PREDICTION: Despite the Wilds' ability to smother teams with a blanket of defence before sending them into a 90 minute coma we have a feeling the Oil will wiggle free and find a way to win 4-2. Two goals by the J Leslie Eberle collection (naturally) a J. Schultz special from the point and a Ryan Jones garbage goal will make up the offense for the good guys.

OBVIOUS GAME DAY PREDICTION: Cal Clutterbuck comes flying off the bench midway through the first period looking for revenge on Taylor Hall for giving him a charlie horse last time these two teams faced off.

"DERP WHERE TAYLOR HALL AT?" the cro magnonian man will scream whilst awkwardly lumbering around the ice. After being told Hall is already out with an injury Clutterbuck will confusedly cross check himself from behind into the boards. Minnesota fans will quietly applaud before rolling over and going back to sleep in the stands.

NOT-SO-OBVIOUS GAME DAY PREDICTION:  Wild fans - who have inexplicably paid to watch Minnesota Wild hockey for years now - will see what exciting hockey looks like for a few brief flashes tonight. "What was that? An end to end rush?" they will whisper to each other in the seats. "Where is the dump and chase? Where is the neutral zone trap? This isn't hockey!"

Wild GM Chuck Fletcher will be forced to address the fans at the end of the first period on the scoreboard. "We realize that you have seen some tic-tac-toe passing and one time top cheddar goals from the Oilers tonight. As the General Manager of the Wild I can assure you that the Oilers will be gone shortly after the game and we are committed to returning to the 1-0 hockey Minnesota fans deserve."

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
Blog so hard motherf**ckers try and find me. Email me at wanyegretz@gmail.com or tweet me @wanyegretz provided it is about Jordan Eberle or babes.
Avatar
#101 m3sh
March 03 2013, 09:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

That sound you hear is us hitting 14th in the west.

Avatar
#102 Alsker
March 03 2013, 09:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Embarrassing, Insulting, disgusting,no heart no guts no nothing, but hey Klowe put this team together in his image of heart, soul and ability right, we challenged nowhere but to get onto the bench. Not sure if i feel worse for us Oil fans or the people in Minny who paid good money for that crap.Think its time for batman to flap his wings and clean house!!

Avatar
#103 Walter Sobchak
March 03 2013, 09:17PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
@Oilanderp wrote:

This team really need to explain itself to its goalie and coach. How an NHL team goes an entire period without a shot is beyond me.

Absolutely brutal.

That includes a PP

Avatar
#104 Alsker
March 03 2013, 09:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

To add insult to injury Cowtown won

Avatar
#105 moe
March 03 2013, 09:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

This team does not deserve to be wearing the oilers logo. Zero pride. If trades aren't made this is gonna be a long season. I pray too god they fire somebody this week . This is an embarrassment to the game . We don't deserve another draft pick again. might have to throw this jersey in the closet for the year and get a blue jays jersey.lol

Avatar
#106 Walter Sobchak
March 03 2013, 09:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

This game is a direct indication of the Oilers organization.

The rebuild should have started with them.

Avatar
#107 Serious Gord
March 03 2013, 09:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

For the love of god will someone please tell cheds play by play announcer that 20 points in 20 games IS NOT playing .500.

With the loser point - based on last year's data - .500 which means winning half of the avg points earned per game is 1.12 points per game or 92 in a regular season. Thus at 21 games played and twenty points earned the oil is playing .424 hockey.

They suck in other words. And have for a while now.

Avatar
#108 dougtheslug
March 03 2013, 09:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

For the love of god will someone please tell cheds play by play announcer that 20 points in 20 games IS NOT playing .500.

With the loser point - based on last year's data - .500 which means winning half of the avg points earned per game is 1.12 points per game or 92 in a regular season. Thus at 21 games played and twenty points earned the oil is playing .424 hockey.

They suck in other words. And have for a while now.

Jeez,SG, we don't need fancy math to know they suck.

Avatar
#109 DSF
March 03 2013, 09:29PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
BleedingOil wrote:

Hall or Seguin? RNH or Huberdeau?

Just before the Hopkins draft I happened to run into the former GM of the Kitchener Rangers who is now working for Hockey Canada in a bar in Osoyoos.

He told me that Huberdeau would be, by far, the best player in that draft although he thought it would take him a little longer to make an impact because he wasn't very mature.

At this point, it would appear that both Huberdeau and Landeskog (who I would have drafted) will be better players.

Avatar
#110 Alsker
March 03 2013, 09:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
m3sh wrote:

That sound you hear is us hitting 14th in the west.

Yes, and by thursday it could be 15th, awesome. Oh well, at least it took till March this time. Hope Klowe and friends can sleep well.

Avatar
#111 DSF
March 03 2013, 09:30PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Walter Sobchak wrote:

This game is a direct indication of the Oilers organization.

The rebuild should have started with them.

Exactly.

Until Dumb, Dumber and Dumbest are punted, nothing much will change.

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Whoever fixes this team (gm, coach, new player(s)), will be officially known as Viagra to me.

Watching the Oil is like having ED. No matter how much you want it and no matter how promising it may sometimes look, you still can't get a freakin' boner.

Avatar
#113 Walter Sobchak
March 03 2013, 09:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
DSF wrote:

Just before the Hopkins draft I happened to run into the former GM of the Kitchener Rangers who is now working for Hockey Canada in a bar in Osoyoos.

He told me that Huberdeau would be, by far, the best player in that draft although he thought it would take him a little longer to make an impact because he wasn't very mature.

At this point, it would appear that both Huberdeau and Landeskog (who I would have drafted) will be better players.

Who was better 2 months ago in the World JR?

I would say that Huberdeau wasnt even close!

RNH is banged up, how bad? We will know the extent shortly.

Avatar
#114 Serious Gord
March 03 2013, 09:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
dougtheslug wrote:

Jeez,SG, we don't need fancy math to know they suck.

Metrics matter.

Avatar
#115 michael
March 03 2013, 09:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

The end result is that the Wild win again. No excuses. Not enough pucks in the net. Backstrom is the best goalie in the western conference.He does not get the love because he plays in Minny. The guy is a freak.He is just so solid. There just does not seem to be a lot of flaws in his game. Tough to win when the other guy makes only one mistake or two(Suters own goal). You could put 70 shots at Backstrom and he'd probably still only let 1 in. I wish we had a goalie that good.DD is not even in the same ballpark as Backstrom. Move on to Columbus.Detroit. Does not get any easier. A lottery pick is looking more like a reality. I still think we wind up 26th.The price to be paid for our guys learning to play first line minutes against the big boys the other teams have.

Avatar
#116 Overrated Oilers
March 03 2013, 09:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Oh look, Oil are 14th i the West...what's Tambo gonna wear on the TSN Draft Lottery show?

Avatar
#117 Citizen David
March 03 2013, 09:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
DSF wrote:

Just before the Hopkins draft I happened to run into the former GM of the Kitchener Rangers who is now working for Hockey Canada in a bar in Osoyoos.

He told me that Huberdeau would be, by far, the best player in that draft although he thought it would take him a little longer to make an impact because he wasn't very mature.

At this point, it would appear that both Huberdeau and Landeskog (who I would have drafted) will be better players.

You are saying that before they have even played a full two seasons (huberdeau hasn't even played half of one season) that's it's clear who will be better? Laughable. After a couple season's it looked like Ovechkin was better than Crosby and Malkin. Now? Not so much. Landeskog is awesome and Huberdeau will probably be really good. But Nuge will be somewhere in there too. Impossible to say now how it will play out.

Avatar
#118 6 ring circus
March 03 2013, 09:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Tambellini has fired how many head coaches? It's time he get's fired and they bring in a real GM who can build a winner,until then get used to ELPHA because that's all Tambellini and Lowe have been good for these past few years!!!

Avatar
#119 DSF
March 03 2013, 09:44PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Walter Sobchak wrote:

Who was better 2 months ago in the World JR?

I would say that Huberdeau wasnt even close!

RNH is banged up, how bad? We will know the extent shortly.

He was looking at the longer term.

He saw Huberdeau as a potential game changer while he thought Hopkins was too soft.

Don't shoot the messenger, especially when Huberdeau would be on pace for a 40 goal 82 game season.

Avatar
#120 DSF
March 03 2013, 09:46PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Citizen David wrote:

You are saying that before they have even played a full two seasons (huberdeau hasn't even played half of one season) that's it's clear who will be better? Laughable. After a couple season's it looked like Ovechkin was better than Crosby and Malkin. Now? Not so much. Landeskog is awesome and Huberdeau will probably be really good. But Nuge will be somewhere in there too. Impossible to say now how it will play out.

I'm telling you what a guy who knows more about hockey that all of us put together thought.

Whether or not you believe it is irrelevant.

Avatar
#121 Alsker
March 03 2013, 09:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

There was a time mediocrity was excepted "we couldnt afford a real team" but that time has passed and so the team culture has changed(yes),coaching staff(yes),trainers(yes),scouts(yes),ownership(yes),gm(yes), well whats left?? Hmm a hard working guy with the last name Moss and ...oh ya the guy in charge.....need I say more

Avatar
#122 Walter Sobchak
March 03 2013, 09:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
DSF wrote:

He was looking at the longer term.

He saw Huberdeau as a potential game changer while he thought Hopkins was too soft.

Don't shoot the messenger, especially when Huberdeau would be on pace for a 40 goal 82 game season.

DSF, I am not arguing with you, just pointing out that at the JR head to head RNH was a supperior hockey player playing against the toughest comp.

while Huberdeau maybe a Roenick, RNH maybe a Sakic.

nothing wrong with ether player.

Avatar
#123 Walter Sobchak
March 03 2013, 09:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Overrated Oilers wrote:

Oh look, Oil are 14th i the West...what's Tambo gonna wear on the TSN Draft Lottery show?

A SH!T eating grin

Avatar
#124 Citizen David
March 03 2013, 09:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
DSF wrote:

I'm telling you what a guy who knows more about hockey that all of us put together thought.

Whether or not you believe it is irrelevant.

I'm all good with that. You were the one who said at this point it looks like Landeskog and Huberdeau will be better than Nuge. Also Mike Milbury was a former NHL GM who "knows a lot about hockey". Also hockey Canada might be the only organization that is run worse than the Oilers, Blue Jackets, and Islanders and Flames. (although i believe in John Davidson)

Avatar
#125 Jay
March 03 2013, 09:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Don't say anyone will be better than their precious nuge dsf. Stauffer says he'll be a too 10 forward in the league so it must be true !! Doesn't matter how soft he is! Bottom line is this team sucks

Avatar
#126 Gilmore Tuttle
March 03 2013, 09:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Stink, stank, stunk.

Don't know which I believe more - that the Oilers have had a consecutive sell out streak over the past years or that they are in the first year of the "rebuild" - for the 10 consecutive season.

Avatar
#127 Sammy
March 03 2013, 10:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
6 ring circus wrote:

Tambellini has fired how many head coaches? It's time he get's fired and they bring in a real GM who can build a winner,until then get used to ELPHA because that's all Tambellini and Lowe have been good for these past few years!!!

I hear Brian Burke is available ;-)

Avatar
#128 dougtheslug
March 03 2013, 10:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

"The Edmonton Oilers, are proud to select, first overall, Jonathan Drouin. He's 5 ft 11, 176 lbs, and we think he will fit in well to the small, noncompetitive roster we have assembled, and we are looking forward to drafting in the top five next year.Man, this is an easy job!"

Avatar
#129 DSF
March 03 2013, 10:11PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Sammy wrote:

I hear Brian Burke is available ;-)

That is actually a great idea...especially if he takes out Lowe in the barn fight.

Avatar
#130 DSF
March 03 2013, 10:12PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Citizen David wrote:

I'm all good with that. You were the one who said at this point it looks like Landeskog and Huberdeau will be better than Nuge. Also Mike Milbury was a former NHL GM who "knows a lot about hockey". Also hockey Canada might be the only organization that is run worse than the Oilers, Blue Jackets, and Islanders and Flames. (although i believe in John Davidson)

Mike Milbury.

Seriously?

Is that all you've got?

Avatar
#131 DigDeepNBleedBlue
March 04 2013, 01:24AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Wild 4 Oil 2

0 shots in the 2nd

"They didn't lie down and completely die..." - Coach

Time for this team to hit the trenches. Dig in boys.

This is a young team. Green. Some pieces missing. But, I hear what the coach is sayin'.

Avatar
#132 Time Travelling Sean
March 04 2013, 06:12AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@DSF

But Landy is a winger, wingers don't win you hockey games. Former GM of a Jr. club, and he's an OHL GM as well, not a WHL or QMJHL GM, what does he know that Bob McKenzie doesn't?

Avatar
#133 Slats
March 04 2013, 11:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
DSF wrote:

I'm telling you what a guy who knows more about hockey that all of us put together thought.

Whether or not you believe it is irrelevant.

. . . and now he works at a bar in Osoyoos and he knows more about hockey than all of us?? sounds like he was one of Hockey Canada's Golden Boys!

Did he recommend the nk'mip or the Burrowing OWL?

Avatar
#134 SLATS
March 04 2013, 11:17PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
dougtheslug wrote:

"The Edmonton Oilers, are proud to select, first overall, Jonathan Drouin. He's 5 ft 11, 176 lbs, and we think he will fit in well to the small, noncompetitive roster we have assembled, and we are looking forward to drafting in the top five next year.Man, this is an easy job!"

yes but he's on a weight training program he will be 181 by camp . . . .funny cuz it's true . .. .

Comments are closed for this article.