Edmonton Oilers trade for Mike Brown

Jonathan Willis
March 04 2013 09:17AM

 

Photo: Michael Miller/Wikimedia

On Monday morning, the Edmonton Oilers' official Twitter feed announced that the club had acquired forward Mike Brown from Toronto in exchange for a fourth-round draft pick in 2014.

Brown has played in 12 games with the Maple Leafs this year, picking up a single assist, but his ice-time and importance to the team had diminished sharply with the ascension of fellow tough guys Colton Orr and Frazer McLaren. After averaging more than 9:00 per game in 2011-12, he was down to 4:39 this season, and often spent time in the pressbox. So why are the Oilers interested in a player the Maple Leafs have identified as a spare part?

Pugilism

Brown is likely best known for his physical play - both fighting and hitting. He's had 15 fights since the start of 2011-12 season and hits everything that moves. His size isn't ideal to the role - Brown is listed at 5'11", 212 pounds - but he's very willing and judging by his fight card has had some success against bigger players in the past.

But can he do more than fight?

Can He Play?

The answer to this question is a qualified yes.

The big caveat is that Brown will not score; he's averaged roughly one point for every 10 games over his major-league career, and his career high in NHL points is eight. His career high in the AHL is 15 points, a total he achieved over 78 contests as a rookie professional.

On the other hand, Brown isn't a total liability as a defensive forward. His diminished role this year means he hasn't seen much time on the penalty kill, but NHL coaches in his recent past have used him there - he saw some time in 2011-12, and averaged a career-high 1:35 while shorthanded in 2010-11. It's probably worth noting that the penalty kills he has spent a lot of time on have typically been pretty bad; in significant minutes in 2009-10 with Anaheim and 2010-11 in Toronto, neither club managed to crack the 80% mark in terms of success killing off power plays. 

Brown also saw some success in 2011-12 on a checking line, playing mostly with Dave Steckel - despite a fairly heavy ratio of defensive zone starts, the line came close to holding its own in terms of shots for and against with Brown on the ice. Unfortunately, that's as good as it gets for Brown - in previous years, his line has been lit up despite offensive zone shifts in Anaheim and in defensive zone work in Toronto.

Is it a good move?

There are positives. Brown is likely more capable of playing a regular shift on the fourth line than his predecessor, Darcy Hordichuk, and he will add an edge to whichever line he finds himself on. A fourth-round draft pick is a pretty small price to pay, particularly since it isn't until 2014.

With a logjam of wingers already in the system, this will force the Oilers to move another player off the roster. Maybe that player is Lennart Petrell - a bigger forward who is better defensively and roughly equivalent offensively, but who doesn't fight. Maybe that forward is Magnus Paajarvi or Teemu Hartikainen, in which case the Oilers are sacrificing ability in order to bring in a fighter. Certainly one hopes that head coach Ralph Krueger was on-board with the move, given that his unwillingness to play a part-time guy in Hordichuk ultimately resulted in the veteran getting consigned to the minors.

Ultimately, how Brown responds to the chance to play will determine whether this was a solid move for the Oilers or not. He will upgrade the team's toughness on its bottom lines, but in terms of out-playing the opposition this looks like at best a 'treading water' move. 

Update: Bob McKenzie reports that the draft pick is conditional - if the Oilers make the playoffs this season, it becomes a third-round pick in 2014.

Leafs Nation also has a post up on this trade.

Recently by Jonathan Willis

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
Jonathan Willis is Managing Editor of the Nation Network. He also currently writes for the Edmonton Journal's Cult of Hockey, Grantland, and Hockey Prospectus. His work has appeared at theScore, ESPN and Puck Daddy. He was previously founder and managing editor of Copper & Blue. Contact him at jonathan (dot) willis (at) live (dot) ca.
Avatar
#101 Spydyr
March 04 2013, 11:23AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
bwar wrote:

My only issue with this trade is that if Krueger refused to give Hordichuk ice time why will he give Brown any?

Also who cares about any draft pick outside of our yearly #1 pick? Trade em all who cares.

Henrik Zetterberg was drafted 210th overall in the seventh round

Daniel Alfredsson was chosen 133rd overall

Datsyuk 171st pick in 1998

Lidstrom 53rd pick

Pavel Bure 113th pick.

Milan Lucic 50 overall

Yah who cares about any of those guys

Avatar
#102 Hayek
March 04 2013, 11:24AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@Will

But Brown has no upside. Why trade for a guy that can be picked up on waivers. I also argue not to waste time picking up guys like Brown at all. The team isn`t losing because we are getting run over, or outhit. We`re losing games because we are getting outshot massively.

Let`s correct the real problem, instead of trying to appease some fans that want to see more fights during a game. I mean, now when someone hits RNH, Hall, Eberle, Gagner, Yakupov, Hemsky, J Schultz....our goon can fight their goon.

Avatar
#103 Phixieus666
March 04 2013, 11:27AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
2
props
Spydyr wrote:

Henrik Zetterberg was drafted 210th overall in the seventh round

Daniel Alfredsson was chosen 133rd overall

Datsyuk 171st pick in 1998

Lidstrom 53rd pick

Pavel Bure 113th pick.

Milan Lucic 50 overall

Yah who cares about any of those guys

How many other guys were picked late and never made it to the NHL? The odds are strongly in favor of failure man. You should never go to Vegas. You will lose everything.

Avatar
#104 Rama Lama
March 04 2013, 11:31AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Jonathan Willis wrote:

I know you were kidding, but I feel compelled to point out that on eight different occasions, Eric Belanger has scored more points in a season than Mike Brown has in his entire NHL career.

This is hilarious, defending the most incompetent hockey player on the Oilers roster. Eric Belenger. His only claim to fame is an average face off percentage........so what!

If Brown can do anything more than Belenger, he is automatically an upgrade. It's because we think guys like Belenger, Horcoff, and Petrell are so good that we are where we are.

A total upgrade on the bottom six is required, not trading for someone else's castoffs. If Tamby and Lowe think that somehow adding a marginal player is going to improve our fortunes.......they are sadly mistaken.

I do not see the value of this deal from any angle.

Avatar
#105 bdiddy18
March 04 2013, 11:31AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Brown replaces petrell - and its all said and done... but we live in Edmonton so we will over analyze its importance and debate how much closer Brown gets us to utter NHL dominance that is pending on this club.

in baseball it would be arguing about the bullpen pitcher No. 11 in the rotation.

Avatar
#106 Phixieus666
March 04 2013, 11:36AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

How close is Horcoff to coming back?

Avatar
#107 Lochenzo
March 04 2013, 11:39AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

It's not the fighting per say that I'm looking forward to. It's the potential energy a Mike Brown can add to this lineup. The Oilers were outshot 18-0 in the 2nd period yesterday. Unacceptable and embarrassing. Somebody needed to do something. Scoring a goal would have changed the momentum. But if you can't score, a fight or a big hit works sometimes too.

Avatar
#108 Ales Hallsky
March 04 2013, 11:41AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

"Hitting a guy after he has already passed the puck does not create a turnover. Hitting a guy, and knocking him off the puck does."

I disagree a little with this my friend, it will cause future turnovers. After you crush him, that player (maybe his teammates too) will rush to get the puck away every time he sees you coming at him.

Avatar
#109 Todd
March 04 2013, 11:42AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Spydyr wrote:

Henrik Zetterberg was drafted 210th overall in the seventh round

Daniel Alfredsson was chosen 133rd overall

Datsyuk 171st pick in 1998

Lidstrom 53rd pick

Pavel Bure 113th pick.

Milan Lucic 50 overall

Yah who cares about any of those guys

Cherry picking draft flukes is pointless. Sure it happens. People win at the slots in Vegas too. But 99.99% of people don't.

Avatar
#110 Hayek
March 04 2013, 11:47AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Lochenzo wrote:

It's not the fighting per say that I'm looking forward to. It's the potential energy a Mike Brown can add to this lineup. The Oilers were outshot 18-0 in the 2nd period yesterday. Unacceptable and embarrassing. Somebody needed to do something. Scoring a goal would have changed the momentum. But if you can't score, a fight or a big hit works sometimes too.

It`s actually been researched that after a fight, it does not increase shots on goal, or goals in the period after the fight. This thing about fighting or hits changing momentum largely does not exist.

Why people think it exists is because of times after a fight or hit, the team scores. People forget all the times after a fight or a hit the team doesn`t score, or the opposing team scores.

In general, people are terrible at recognizing patterns. They also attribute patterns often to where they do not exist.

So you`re logic here is pretty flawed. It can`t hurt to hit someone, or fight someone. But it doesn`t help in scoring goals.

Avatar
#111 michael
March 04 2013, 11:50AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Brown? What we'll see next is TH sent to OKC. Grit for a guy who has shown little of that in his time here this year. Brown with Eager and Petrell. I can live with that.Tambo did something.Points for that at least.

Avatar
#112 Hayek
March 04 2013, 11:51AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Ales Hallsky wrote:

"Hitting a guy after he has already passed the puck does not create a turnover. Hitting a guy, and knocking him off the puck does."

I disagree a little with this my friend, it will cause future turnovers. After you crush him, that player (maybe his teammates too) will rush to get the puck away every time he sees you coming at him.

Yeah, I can agree with you there. I argue the same, however this is more of a secondary effect. It definitely exists, but obviously is not as effective as knocking the guy off the puck to create a turnover.

The thing that kind of counters the argument on the idea of `grit` is that instead of hitting the guy after he passes the puck, just being in his face and threatening a poke check does the same thing. The hit itself is not the part that creates the future turnover, it`s just being in the vicinity and forcing him to release the puck sooner than he normally would.

Avatar
#113 Jimmeh
March 04 2013, 11:54AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props
Spydyr wrote:

Henrik Zetterberg was drafted 210th overall in the seventh round

Daniel Alfredsson was chosen 133rd overall

Datsyuk 171st pick in 1998

Lidstrom 53rd pick

Pavel Bure 113th pick.

Milan Lucic 50 overall

Yah who cares about any of those guys

6 players out of the couple thousand drafted over over the last 23 years. (Lidstrom drafted in 1989) Real good odds.

Avatar
#114 Light, Sweet, Crude
March 04 2013, 11:54AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props

At first I was entirely unimpressed by this move - still feel the price was too high, even if the Oilers SOMEHOW manage to miss the play-offs this year and it stays a fourth round pick (ha). But, I must admit it might be good to have a guy with a mustache on the team. It' easy to forget while watching on the tube we are cheering for a handful of children against guys much manly than them in most cases.

I am not one of those Oil fans who would replace skill with size, so it will be interesting to see how they make room for Brown going forward. Neither am I one of those Oil fans who thinks everyone from the water-boy to Katz is stupid if they make a decision i wouldn't have made - I understand they are working with more inside information than I.

I hope this works out.

Avatar
#115 Todd
March 04 2013, 11:56AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Tambicakes sucks.

Avatar
#116 Lochenzo
March 04 2013, 12:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I agree with you Hayek. Not all fights or hits will change momentum. The stats show that most of them don't. But some of them do. I liken it to defibrilators. The odds of jolting your system with electricity and reviving you is only roughly 30%. Not good odds, but we're thankful we have it when it does work. Translate that over the course of a season. How many points would the Oilers gain vs rolling over and dying? Would it be enough to get this team into the playoffs?

Imagine if you're on the Oiler bench while they are getting blitzed 18-0 in shots. You have a bunker mentality. You're just happy to get the puck out of the zone. We've seen it a few times this year. These young Oilers need to find a way to break that mentality when it does happen. Maybe somebody laying out a big hit will get these guys out of that mindset.

Avatar
#117 Will
March 04 2013, 12:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@Hayek

I agree with you that pure goon on goon fights do little if anything. I was merely pointing out that a fourth round pick for this guy, especially before he plays a single game with Edmonton, is not enough reason to ask for Tambi's head. In fact, I think the guy is doing what he can to improve the team without screwing it up too much.

I would imagine most GM's are trying to do the same, tinker but not tear apart. I for one am going to give this guy a shot and see if it helps. In my mind, it can't really hurt. Because even if we did manage to find that sleeper in the fourth round, well that guy is likely years away from becoming the superstar, and by then our roster of superstars will be going full boar anyway.

Avatar
#118 Hair bag
March 04 2013, 12:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
2
props
Rama Lama wrote:

This is hilarious, defending the most incompetent hockey player on the Oilers roster. Eric Belenger. His only claim to fame is an average face off percentage........so what!

If Brown can do anything more than Belenger, he is automatically an upgrade. It's because we think guys like Belenger, Horcoff, and Petrell are so good that we are where we are.

A total upgrade on the bottom six is required, not trading for someone else's castoffs. If Tamby and Lowe think that somehow adding a marginal player is going to improve our fortunes.......they are sadly mistaken.

I do not see the value of this deal from any angle.

Rama Lama you don't see the value in anything. It is obvious with every post you put on this website that you know nothing about the dynamics of hockey, the dressing room, role players - I would say hockey in general other than being able to turn on your tv to the channel that has the game on. Then you bitch and complain on here like you're some kind of expert. I used to be annoyed when I read your dribble now I just have to laugh at you...if I didn't know any better I would swear you and DAF or DSF whatever his handle is were paid to be on here to stoke the flames of controversy with you asinine comments.

Avatar
#119 R Adel
March 04 2013, 12:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Spydyr wrote:

Henrik Zetterberg was drafted 210th overall in the seventh round

Daniel Alfredsson was chosen 133rd overall

Datsyuk 171st pick in 1998

Lidstrom 53rd pick

Pavel Bure 113th pick.

Milan Lucic 50 overall

Yah who cares about any of those guys

Brown can PK and skate fast! He is a great 4 checker. You can't compare him to Hordy. Brown is a way better hockey player

Avatar
#120 Ales Hallsky
March 04 2013, 12:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Hayek wrote:

Yeah, I can agree with you there. I argue the same, however this is more of a secondary effect. It definitely exists, but obviously is not as effective as knocking the guy off the puck to create a turnover.

The thing that kind of counters the argument on the idea of `grit` is that instead of hitting the guy after he passes the puck, just being in his face and threatening a poke check does the same thing. The hit itself is not the part that creates the future turnover, it`s just being in the vicinity and forcing him to release the puck sooner than he normally would.

I was thinking that while i wrote the last comment. The only difference is one instills fear. Its a different OH $#!t moment.

Avatar
#121 Hayek
March 04 2013, 12:11PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Will wrote:

I agree with you that pure goon on goon fights do little if anything. I was merely pointing out that a fourth round pick for this guy, especially before he plays a single game with Edmonton, is not enough reason to ask for Tambi's head. In fact, I think the guy is doing what he can to improve the team without screwing it up too much.

I would imagine most GM's are trying to do the same, tinker but not tear apart. I for one am going to give this guy a shot and see if it helps. In my mind, it can't really hurt. Because even if we did manage to find that sleeper in the fourth round, well that guy is likely years away from becoming the superstar, and by then our roster of superstars will be going full boar anyway.

Yeah, fair enough. Except the thing is, this is just making a move to make a move, so it`s not doing anything to improve the team. Not like a 3rd or 4th round pick means a lot, but these are also assets that we could have used in a package for a trade that actually mattered. I wouldn`t ask for Tambo`s head because of this trade, but because of a string of moves made over the past couple years. The only positive move I can think of attributable to him, was claiming Jones off waivers.

Trading for a goon is not a good move, or something to get excited about. It`s pretty useless as this guy will play 8 minutes a night if he`s lucky. There are lots of 3rd and 4th liners in the NHL that can actually play hockey. The question is why we are not trading for these guys with our 3rd and 4th round picks.

Avatar
#122 Hayek
March 04 2013, 12:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props
Hair bag wrote:

Rama Lama you don't see the value in anything. It is obvious with every post you put on this website that you know nothing about the dynamics of hockey, the dressing room, role players - I would say hockey in general other than being able to turn on your tv to the channel that has the game on. Then you bitch and complain on here like you're some kind of expert. I used to be annoyed when I read your dribble now I just have to laugh at you...if I didn't know any better I would swear you and DAF or DSF whatever his handle is were paid to be on here to stoke the flames of controversy with you asinine comments.

He actually offers an argument. You just berate others. When your main case is saying `dynamics of hockey, the dressing room, role players`... You offer nothing. You might as well copy paste main stream media cliches.

If you are going to criticize someone on their arguement, explain why.

Avatar
#123 PapaMike
March 04 2013, 12:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props

Brian McGratten looked good against Sestito. I still would have rather had him than Brown, but I think we should give Brown a chance. He seems like a gamer to me.

Avatar
#124 Phixieus666
March 04 2013, 12:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Hayek wrote:

Yeah, fair enough. Except the thing is, this is just making a move to make a move, so it`s not doing anything to improve the team. Not like a 3rd or 4th round pick means a lot, but these are also assets that we could have used in a package for a trade that actually mattered. I wouldn`t ask for Tambo`s head because of this trade, but because of a string of moves made over the past couple years. The only positive move I can think of attributable to him, was claiming Jones off waivers.

Trading for a goon is not a good move, or something to get excited about. It`s pretty useless as this guy will play 8 minutes a night if he`s lucky. There are lots of 3rd and 4th liners in the NHL that can actually play hockey. The question is why we are not trading for these guys with our 3rd and 4th round picks.

He plays with a lot of heart and energy. Gives a 100% every shift. And if you watched last nights game. They can use more players that actually show up to play.

Avatar
#125 Hayek
March 04 2013, 12:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Phixieus666 wrote:

He plays with a lot of heart and energy. Gives a 100% every shift. And if you watched last nights game. They can use more players that actually show up to play.

Well that`s good. It`s nice to have people give 100% effort to the team.

I don`t think anyone questions that though. Where the dislike of this deal comes from is his hockey ability. It`s just that him trying at 100% isn`t good enough to be NHL replacement level.

We can having exciting guys, that entertain fans, or we can have guys that help win games. I would think the key to building a winning team is having guys who help win games. (If they can be entertaining, and show great attitudes, even better, but they need to be NHL replacement level)

Avatar
#126 Oiler Al
March 04 2013, 12:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

This is much to do about nothing. Brown is replacing Hordicuk, both are middleweights, with similar stats. Brown is more likely to drop the gloves than Hordichuck, who wont be resigned, and Petrel's deal is also up . Brown has another year left on curent deal, and will be this and next years Hordichuck. I mention Petrel in the same sentence as he should be a tough guy on the team, and he's not. Rarely makes a hit.

Some of this is about cleaning house for next year. Vendevelde , another big body that contributes very little to the toughness. Hartikienen is another guy that needs to be looked at, when considering upgrading toughness.

Then again, Horcoff is the same size as Brown?

Avatar
#127 DigDeepNBleedBlue
March 04 2013, 12:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props

Good 1st and 2nd move this year. Both add toughness. Fistric has made this team harder to play against and Brown will too.

He is not a top six option. Good addition though. He's a hard, energy, tough as nails fourth liner.

Good job Tambo. Now someone to play with the skilled cats.

Avatar
#128 Yep
March 04 2013, 12:29PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
8
props

The only people less qualified to GM an NHL team are OilersNation commenters.

Avatar
#129 ScottieA
March 04 2013, 12:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Nonis must be giddy about this.

Avatar
#130 Hayek
March 04 2013, 12:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
DigDeepNBleedBlue wrote:

Good 1st and 2nd move this year. Both add toughness. Fistric has made this team harder to play against and Brown will too.

He is not a top six option. Good addition though. He's a hard, energy, tough as nails fourth liner.

Good job Tambo. Now someone to play with the skilled cats.

I have some friends that played in the WHL that are tough as nails. They were pretty dirty players, and annoying to play against. I would not want them on my NHL team. They lack talent. Brown and Fistric lack talent. Sure we will see a good fight, or a big hit. But we will lose games because of them, because there are better players that could be taking their spots.

But every person gets their own satisfaction from hockey. Me, I don`t care how boring or exciting, I just want to win games.

I assume people like you want more entertainment. So if employing people who are less talented at hockey, at contributing to wins, you`re okay with that. You are willing to pay for a couple fights, and more hits, and the expense of a couple wins.

It`s not that my utility is better than yours, we both just have different goals to what we want from our hockey team.

Avatar
#131 Spydyr
March 04 2013, 12:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Todd wrote:

Cherry picking draft flukes is pointless. Sure it happens. People win at the slots in Vegas too. But 99.99% of people don't.

Sure ever draft pick is a gamble.The one thing we can be sure of is Brown will never be like any of the players listed.Never, no way, not going to happen.

Avatar
#132 justDOit
March 04 2013, 12:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Yep wrote:

The only people less qualified to GM an NHL team are OilersNation commenters.

One possible exception:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/53/140590208_f6263845cc.jpg?v=1146792801

Avatar
#133 James
March 04 2013, 12:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
3
props

Coming from a leafs fan, enjoy brown for what he is and you will quickly find him among your favourite players. Sad to see him go.

Avatar
#134 Lochenzo
March 04 2013, 12:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
2
props

Mike Brown is already doing his job. Instead of wallowing in blue and orange pity, we are talking about fighting and hitting. Now if that effect could also happen on the ice just a handful of times the rest of the season...

Avatar
#135 Hair bag
March 04 2013, 01:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Hayek wrote:

He actually offers an argument. You just berate others. When your main case is saying `dynamics of hockey, the dressing room, role players`... You offer nothing. You might as well copy paste main stream media cliches.

If you are going to criticize someone on their arguement, explain why.

I criticize RL because almost every one of his posts berates Oiler Management for not doing this or that. Well there is nothing you can do about what management does so why not offer some suggestions/solutions to the issues instead of just complaining that they are incompetent. Saying you need to change the bottom six or get a big centerman is fine but let's hear who exactly you would trade for and who you would give up and make it realistic. Every one of the Oiler management is a hockey lifer with far more knowledge and experience than anyone putting their two cents on this forum - do you honestly think they don't know the issues or that they are not trying to find solutions!?!

As far as the "dynamics of hockey, the dressing room, role players, etc", these are not just cliches - they are actual facets of a hockey team. Anyone who has played on a winning team knows that there are many ingredients (so to speak) that go into success ie the dynamics of hockey. The number of goals, assists, does not a winning hockey team make - it is the chemistry of personalities in the room that ultimately determines success ie the dressing room. Role players are the other ingredients aside from skill players that you need in a room in for success. You can't win with a team full of Gretzky's...

Avatar
#136 John
March 04 2013, 01:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
andrewmk20 wrote:

Actually the issue I have is that Tambellini consistently overpays in relation to the NHL trade market. Loktionov was dealt for a 5th rounder and he projects to be a top 6-9 forward. Simon Gagne and Matthew Lombardi were both dealt for 4th rounders. It just seems that he can never get any value for his picks. It`s a little troubling because to build a contender the GM needs to be able to squeeze good value out of the assets he`s giving up and so far outside of Fistric, which at this point is a fair deal, I haven`t seen Tambellini do so. I mean we all rag on Lowe but he attained quite a bit of value out of the deals he made when he was GM. From Dan McGillis, Anson Carter, and Janne Niinimaa, he attained good players from assets that were going to leave or for picks and spare parts.

I agree with your assessment with the picks. However, Lowe was only ever a good GM when he had no money to work with. He was great at replaceing guys like guerin, carter, ninnima,etc. with guys with just lesser talent but at least comparable. Around the time of the "new" nhl he started to make more bad trades than good (aside from his 2006 fluke). I hear people calling for tambellini's head and preaching for MacT, but is no one concerned that we don't even bother to look at the best person available, we look for the best person available in our own management or friends of management? Fire everyone and start over fresh.

Avatar
#137 Ducey
March 04 2013, 01:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
5
props
Yep wrote:

The only people less qualified to GM an NHL team are OilersNation commenters.

And Jay Feaster

Avatar
#138 gcw_rocks
March 04 2013, 01:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Isn't this the kind of stupidity that all the MacT fans were expecting would stop with his sage advice added to the mix?

If this is the kind of "advice" he is giving or endorsing, then he should shut the hell up. A tambo that does nothing is better than a tambo that brings in these kinds of players.

Avatar
#139 The Soup Fascist
March 04 2013, 01:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props

This is not a "game changer", but at the same time it is not the worst deal in history. Wounds are a little fresh after last nights debacle, I suppose.

Relax folks, let Brown get into town and play a game or two before we decide to put the run on him. Holy kneejerk reaction, Batman ........

Avatar
#140 Rama Lama
March 04 2013, 01:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Hair bag wrote:

Rama Lama you don't see the value in anything. It is obvious with every post you put on this website that you know nothing about the dynamics of hockey, the dressing room, role players - I would say hockey in general other than being able to turn on your tv to the channel that has the game on. Then you bitch and complain on here like you're some kind of expert. I used to be annoyed when I read your dribble now I just have to laugh at you...if I didn't know any better I would swear you and DAF or DSF whatever his handle is were paid to be on here to stoke the flames of controversy with you asinine comments.

Well I'm all ears for your " genius expert opinion" , on this matter. What have you to say on this matter your excellency?

Cant wait!!!

Avatar
#141 DigDeepNBleedBlue
March 04 2013, 01:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Hayek wrote:

I have some friends that played in the WHL that are tough as nails. They were pretty dirty players, and annoying to play against. I would not want them on my NHL team. They lack talent. Brown and Fistric lack talent. Sure we will see a good fight, or a big hit. But we will lose games because of them, because there are better players that could be taking their spots.

But every person gets their own satisfaction from hockey. Me, I don`t care how boring or exciting, I just want to win games.

I assume people like you want more entertainment. So if employing people who are less talented at hockey, at contributing to wins, you`re okay with that. You are willing to pay for a couple fights, and more hits, and the expense of a couple wins.

It`s not that my utility is better than yours, we both just have different goals to what we want from our hockey team.

WHL tough guy and a NHL tough guy are two different beasts. To get to the show you need more talent then your average WHL goon.

When your a soft team to play against you will lose far more often then you will win. A mixture of skill and toughness and energy will allow you to compete every game.

Energy - The strength and vitality required for sustained physical or mental activity.

With an energy shift, ideally, your forwards will be in the O-zone banging bodies, kicking pucks loose, banging more bodies, driving hard to the net and occasionally scoring the prototypical "garbage goal."

It's not pretty ala Gretz, but it works. That's why you also have a 1st and a 2nd line called "scoring lines." The hope would be to sprinkle a little energy/toughness within those lines. Bertuzzi, Neely, Clowe, etc. SKilled men who compete with that energy.

By also doing this (hitting/energy) it wears down the opponents D-men. And, when your tired you make mistakes.

We do differ on what we want to see the Oilers to become. I want a winner, not just a side-show as you accuse me off. Yes, if they had Gladiators hacking themselves apart today I would watch. But, that doesn't change the fact that a soft, passive team is going to win more than a hard as nails team. This is were we disagree on the definition of a "winner." Hitting is part of hockey. Winning battles is part of hockey. And you need the right personnel to do these things or your current group to step up in that respect.

Avatar
#142 justDOit
March 04 2013, 01:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
The Soup Fascist wrote:

This is not a "game changer", but at the same time it is not the worst deal in history. Wounds are a little fresh after last nights debacle, I suppose.

Relax folks, let Brown get into town and play a game or two before we decide to put the run on him. Holy kneejerk reaction, Batman ........

Kadri on Brown trade: 'Can’t say I was happy with the decision ... I was very disappointed. He’s a guy that’s awesome on so many levels.'

(from TSN)

Avatar
#143 DigDeepNBleedBlue
March 04 2013, 01:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
The Soup Fascist wrote:

This is not a "game changer", but at the same time it is not the worst deal in history. Wounds are a little fresh after last nights debacle, I suppose.

Relax folks, let Brown get into town and play a game or two before we decide to put the run on him. Holy kneejerk reaction, Batman ........

Amen, brah.

Avatar
#144 The Soup Fascist
March 04 2013, 01:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
justDOit wrote:

Kadri on Brown trade: 'Can’t say I was happy with the decision ... I was very disappointed. He’s a guy that’s awesome on so many levels.'

(from TSN)

Nice to hear. That would indicate he is good with the kids.

Avatar
#145 Tom
March 04 2013, 01:29PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Are you kidding me! Just a rhetorical question. Is this just to do something! Also rhetorical. Fistric on the IR to make room for Brown?

How about Ebs sits upstairs. I can't believe how bad he is playing. Not buying into the system.

Tambi is useless. How does he keep his job.

Very tired of the Oilers disappointing year after year.

Might have to start watching ping pong or something.

Avatar
#146 Rama Lama
March 04 2013, 01:29PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@Rama Lama

Furbag?? Hairbag??Dirtbag......whichever moniker you go by.........I'm still waiting for your insightful, thoughts on how Brown makes us better?

Obviously you have an opinion?? Any idiot can be a critic of others, me included, although I reserve this right for Tamby and Lowe, as they deserve the most credit for building this team.

Maybe you can get a job with them and teach them what to do?

Avatar
#147 Phixieus666
March 04 2013, 01:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Hayek wrote:

Well that`s good. It`s nice to have people give 100% effort to the team.

I don`t think anyone questions that though. Where the dislike of this deal comes from is his hockey ability. It`s just that him trying at 100% isn`t good enough to be NHL replacement level.

We can having exciting guys, that entertain fans, or we can have guys that help win games. I would think the key to building a winning team is having guys who help win games. (If they can be entertaining, and show great attitudes, even better, but they need to be NHL replacement level)

His ability to play physical and hard every shift could open up more space and could wear down the opponents faster. Making it easier for our top guys to do their thing. Would that not be him helping the team win games?

Avatar
#148 TigerUnderGlass
March 04 2013, 01:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
3
props

@Hair bag

You can't win with a team full of Gretzky's...

When did this nonsense start becoming accepted as fact? Of course you can win with a team full of Gretzkys. You just can't pay for them.

Avatar
#149 bumblebpete
March 04 2013, 01:39PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@Zamboni Driver

Has anyone else noticed that Ryan Whitney's picture has been removed from the Oiler's home page? Is this an omen?

Avatar
#150 justDOit
March 04 2013, 01:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@bumblebpete

I just noticed the other day that he was on the background. I wonder if they change that up every so often, or what?

Comments are closed for this article.