DAY OF MOURNING

Jason Gregor
April 14 2013 09:23AM

The Oilers won't be making the playoffs, again, but watching them fall apart during the most meaningful stretch of the season has been painful, and a bit surprising.

I doubt anyone expected them to score a measly four goals in five games when battling for the 8th and final playoff spot.

I suspect Oiler fans have never been more frustrated and disappointed as you are right now.

The past few years you accepted losing because it was part of the "process," and you expected it to get better. But this year was supposed to be about progress, but after a five-game win streak gave you hope the Oilers have wilted under the pressure of push-for-the-playoffs hockey.

Last night's game was pathetic. You can't even state they put forth a great effort, but didn't get any bounces. Calgary, a team with six AHLers in the lineup, worked harder, worked smarter and showed more skill.

The players knew it was an awful performance, but I'm not sure they know how to change it, or if they have enough good players to do it.

Many thought last season was the lowest of the low, but last night the Oilers might have reached a new depth of despair. This organization needs to take a long look at every person involved. From upper management, to the coaches, to the players and weed out those who don't have the drive, smarts, will or desire necessary to improve moving forward.

Mr. Katz you might need an outside evaluator to look at all aspects of your team, because it is obvious that those in charge aren't making the right decisions.

It is Suggestion Sunday in Oilersnation.

What are your best, and most realistic suggestions that should occur for the Oilers. Because it is clear something is lacking.

Is it leadership from Kevin Lowe and Steve Tambellini?

Is it a losing culture?

Is there a lack of desire?

Is it a lack of experience?

Is it all of the above?

 

 

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
One of Canada's most versatile sports personalities. Jason hosts The Jason Gregor Show, weekdays from 2 to 6 p.m., on TSN 1260, and he writes a column every Monday in the Edmonton Journal. You can follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/JasonGregor
Avatar
#101 Wax Man Riley
April 14 2013, 01:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Jasmine wrote:

You're an idiot. Stop bashing Lowe. Lowe has been bashed since he became GM. Fans are the reason Lowe resigned as GM.

As for Souray, he deserved to be benched. Any team with a brain would have benched him. You can't allow players to walk all over management publicly bashing them in the media and get away with it. Souray deserved to be benched.

bash bash

Avatar
#102 DigDeepNBleedBlue
April 14 2013, 01:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I think coaching needs to be addressed. Top priority, IMO. I don't buy the turnover ratio as an excuse not to interview the best options out there. Ruff, Sutter and possibly Tippet.

Coaching decisions (tactics, player personnel choices, line combos, etc.) played a major factor in this seasons failures. Some examples: kids split up for too long, lack of toughness inserted into the lineup, the persecution of Teddy Peckham.

Play him or waive him. The whole thing looks ugly right about now.

In addition, an experienced coach will have a good understanding of what he needs to win. I'm sure he will greatly influence management when they acquire players.

Take the heads off management? My only argument: Lowe stated this was a five year rebuild and the process started in Feb of 2010. This thing is now in year 3. What does that mean? To me, it means you will have had four years (include this years draft) to draft/acquire high quality prospects. Done.

With the core in place, Lowe and Co. need to address the outlining issues this summer. Size. Toughness. Defence. And, coaching. If there are failures in addressing these issues THEN it should be time for a regime change. JMO

A stud defenceman should be the top priority for on ice personnel this off-season.

My for sures for next season:

Hall-RNH-Eberle

Paajarvi-???-Yak

???-Horcoff-Hartikainen

???-???-???

Smid-Petry

???-J.Schultz

N.Schultz-???

Dubnyk-???

Possibles: Lander, 1st rnd pick & Klefbom.

7 games to go. Should be tough to watch, but I'll be there....

Avatar
#103 Romulus' Apotheosis
April 14 2013, 01:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
DSF wrote:

A big team with skill will beat a small team with skill every freaking time.

I'm not sure why you apologists keep setting up the strawman that a big team can't have skill.

See Boston, Los Angeles and Anaheim for reference.

And here is Chicago's top 7.

Toews - 6'2" 210

Kane - 5'11" 185

Hossa - 6'1" 210

Saad - 6'1" 205

Sharp 6'1" 200

Bickell - 6'4" 235

Staalberg - 6'3" 210

I think you've got your strawmen confused... they must be out in the Autumnal fields having a scarecrow party.

Where did I say anything like:

"a big team can't have skill."

find that quote in all that straw... er... haystack.

Avatar
#104 Jason
April 14 2013, 01:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

The way i look at there system sucks.They are totally lost in their own zone. A good coach would make changes when he see's his hybrid-system isn't working! but we have seen the same thing thru game 1 until present. You have to build your system around the players you have and there strong points.. you try to hide there weaknesses. That has not been done in my mind yet.

Avatar
#105 Spydyr
April 14 2013, 01:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Jason wrote:

The way i look at there system sucks.They are totally lost in their own zone. A good coach would make changes when he see's his hybrid-system isn't working! but we have seen the same thing thru game 1 until present. You have to build your system around the players you have and there strong points.. you try to hide there weaknesses. That has not been done in my mind yet.

You know what would have been a good system this year. The first line with the Shultz's play firewagon hockey. Everyone else traps.

Avatar
#106 Zamboni Driver
April 14 2013, 02:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Jasmine

Actually I'm pretty sure $7 million for Horcoff and 3 million for someone named 'Fernando' is what did Lowe in.

The only reason he still has any job is that his name is Kevin Lowe.

As for MacTavish....Oh boy. A guy who thought Marty Reasoner was a 'Joe Sakic-type' and had a bizarre love affair with "Toby Peterson" (and if you want to correct me that it's "PeDerson" then you need a hobby, because I couldn't give less of a damn) is going to be in charge of talent evaluation.

Avatar
#107 Zamboni Driver
April 14 2013, 02:15PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Romulus' Apotheosis

I would agree that they all don't need to be 6'2".

but to suggest that the cure for this team with:

The Tin Man, Nugent-Hopkins (who I would fine next fall if he doesn't add 20 lbs this summer) Eberle (5'9") Hall (5'10")

is a 5'9" Swede playing in SWITZERLAND (also known as no one in the NHL wanted him)

That's dreamin'.

Avatar
#108 Stonecold Stunner
April 14 2013, 02:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I am a first time poster but the things that I have been reading is prompting me to do something about it!

Week after week I read posts about how disgruntled people are and spewing advice about what to do with OUR Oilers. I have been an oiler fan for over 30 years and have watched the franchise dating back to it's inception. Safe to say those days will never be back so I think the organization needs to realize this by hiring legit "hockey minds" to run the franchise instead of old alumni! Let go of the past if you are to progress as a person and as an organization! I mean the only person that I would ever hire from that dynasty group is Mark Messier...because he has shown clear direction,leadership, and passion even as a player...and I know he would not accept this pathetic effort of a team we now call the Oilers. Heck, he may even go into the dressing room between periods to bench these kids (and vets) or make them sit in the press box with an "undisclosed" injury just to send the message.

What I'm ultimately here to say is STOP demanding change from management because it's not going to happen by you writing on a blog or bi%&hing about things. We complain day after day and week after week yet sell out every home game, I get it, we are passionate about our team. But from a management perspective, there is no urgency to assemble a team that competes if we keep sending the message that we will continue to support them no matter what!! If you want to send a different message, fans need to become a community and boycott the remaining home games...THAT would send a strong message to Katz and ownership/management. That would tell them that the fans are the reason why they are here! Instead of going through a strike, demanding one of the higher ticket prices in the league, and padding their own pockets while doing so.

Change comes from us...we hold the power people!!! Now, realize that and effect change instead of simply complaining about it!!! Many of you who post here are quite educated as your prose writing pieces and spelling would indicate, so think of a way we can bring the hockey community together and do something worth doing...in unison!!! Playing the victim and complaining just ain't cutting it anymore...because we've been doing it for at least 6 years!!

Avatar
#109 Romulus' Apotheosis
April 14 2013, 02:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Zamboni Driver wrote:

I would agree that they all don't need to be 6'2".

but to suggest that the cure for this team with:

The Tin Man, Nugent-Hopkins (who I would fine next fall if he doesn't add 20 lbs this summer) Eberle (5'9") Hall (5'10")

is a 5'9" Swede playing in SWITZERLAND (also known as no one in the NHL wanted him)

That's dreamin'.

Swedes are pretty damn tough and have had pretty amazing success in the NHL.

I'd watch the "good canadian kid" bias there.

That Swiss league is pretty damn good. Gagner played there in the lockout. so did Zetterberg, Brunner, Thornton, etc.

In fact, Det. pulled Brunner out of that league and Omark was out scoring him at the time.

He's a player. We need those more than we need size.

Avatar
#110 Spydyr
April 14 2013, 02:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Stonecold Stunner wrote:

I am a first time poster but the things that I have been reading is prompting me to do something about it!

Week after week I read posts about how disgruntled people are and spewing advice about what to do with OUR Oilers. I have been an oiler fan for over 30 years and have watched the franchise dating back to it's inception. Safe to say those days will never be back so I think the organization needs to realize this by hiring legit "hockey minds" to run the franchise instead of old alumni! Let go of the past if you are to progress as a person and as an organization! I mean the only person that I would ever hire from that dynasty group is Mark Messier...because he has shown clear direction,leadership, and passion even as a player...and I know he would not accept this pathetic effort of a team we now call the Oilers. Heck, he may even go into the dressing room between periods to bench these kids (and vets) or make them sit in the press box with an "undisclosed" injury just to send the message.

What I'm ultimately here to say is STOP demanding change from management because it's not going to happen by you writing on a blog or bi%&hing about things. We complain day after day and week after week yet sell out every home game, I get it, we are passionate about our team. But from a management perspective, there is no urgency to assemble a team that competes if we keep sending the message that we will continue to support them no matter what!! If you want to send a different message, fans need to become a community and boycott the remaining home games...THAT would send a strong message to Katz and ownership/management. That would tell them that the fans are the reason why they are here! Instead of going through a strike, demanding one of the higher ticket prices in the league, and padding their own pockets while doing so.

Change comes from us...we hold the power people!!! Now, realize that and effect change instead of simply complaining about it!!! Many of you who post here are quite educated as your prose writing pieces and spelling would indicate, so think of a way we can bring the hockey community together and do something worth doing...in unison!!! Playing the victim and complaining just ain't cutting it anymore...because we've been doing it for at least 6 years!!

so think of a way we can bring the hockey community together and do something worth doing...in unison!!!

Let us all hold hands and sing Kumbaya. Will that work?

This is a blog it a way for people to vent. Most here are smart enough to realize they cannot bring about any real change. AGAIN IT IS A BLOG.

Good luck trying to convince 1000's of ticket holders to give up their seats. There are a 1000 more on a waiting list ready to take them.

Avatar
#111 Bryan in SK
April 14 2013, 02:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I went to bed after the second period. If they can't even try against the ABBOTSFORD FRIGGIN' HEAT, then why should I lose any sleep?

I'd like to see an Iron Mike brought in for just 1 season. Or Hitchcock. (Not Alfred... we saw that last night). Get Tippett.

And will you finally get some BEEF in this lineup?

They horked up a hairball like Puss 'N Boots, and the bloody Flames neutered us with our own sword.

Avatar
#112 DigDeepNBleedBlue
April 14 2013, 02:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

Swedes are pretty damn tough and have had pretty amazing success in the NHL.

I'd watch the "good canadian kid" bias there.

That Swiss league is pretty damn good. Gagner played there in the lockout. so did Zetterberg, Brunner, Thornton, etc.

In fact, Det. pulled Brunner out of that league and Omark was out scoring him at the time.

He's a player. We need those more than we need size.

Gagner played in Austria. Same area of Europe. But, not the same country or league.

Brunner had 25 goals in 33GP. Omark, who definitely has skill, had 17 goals in 48GP. He did have 69 points in those games. However, to further compare goals and skill in the Swiss league, Zetterberg had 16 goals in 23GP.

I don't think Omark is the answer, but I do hope he is traded this year for a pick or a prospect.

We need size, toughness and soldiers willing to go over the top (compete). JMO

Avatar
#113 Kevin
April 14 2013, 03:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Rob wrote:

Funny how Stauffer changed to be such a corporate yes-man after he sold his credibility. I can't listen to him or his unctious hand puppet Dan any longer. It's 1260 all the way for me.

ya no kidding- i remember listening to him rip the oil when he was with 1260. Now it's a complete joke listening to those two. They must think the Oil fans are idiots. Sadly the only clowns here are the one collecting Edmonton Oiler Pay cheques. Clean this house and the sooner the better and all on mahogany row as well. Leave no stone unturned and lets get on with things. It's a real mess !

Avatar
#114 Romulus' Apotheosis
April 14 2013, 03:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
DigDeepNBleedBlue wrote:

Gagner played in Austria. Same area of Europe. But, not the same country or league.

Brunner had 25 goals in 33GP. Omark, who definitely has skill, had 17 goals in 48GP. He did have 69 points in those games. However, to further compare goals and skill in the Swiss league, Zetterberg had 16 goals in 23GP.

I don't think Omark is the answer, but I do hope he is traded this year for a pick or a prospect.

We need size, toughness and soldiers willing to go over the top (compete). JMO

You're right. I miss remembered Gagner as in the Swiss league.

At any rate, it is very competitive.

I'm not going to knock goals. Clearly more important than assists.

BUT... there's no reason to knock assists. Omark was leading his team in points when those stars left and he finished with 69 points in 48 games.

That is damn good for a competitive pro league.

I agree, btw, Omark is not "THE" answer. but he is "A" answer. He is better than: Jones, Petrell, Hordichuk, Eager, Brown, Smithson, Smyth and Belanger.

and he's ours.

or, wait... Detroit will make a player out of him and we'll get nothing.

Avatar
#115 Joey Joe Jo Junior Shabadoo
April 14 2013, 03:17PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I am an avid listener of the team 1260 as well as espn. A while back Colin Cowhead said that fans of the LA lakers and Yankees are smart fans because they will not attend games if the product is poor. He claims that there is a lot competing for the fans dollars in those markets. As a result the team leadership ensures they are always reloading and that their team is competitive.

Oiler fan needs to be more sophisticated. This non playoff drought has been more than long enough. Toronto is in this time, jets too maybe. But we keep lining up at rexall like lemmings. Send a message to the owner, give the fans a product worth cheering for ASAP.

I too agree that k Lowe has gotta go. He has made way too many poor decision and from my fan's view point his poor decisions seem to be due to his ego. We don't need ego in the head office and nepotism. We need smart management and we have t had that in a long time. Getting 3 1st place draft picks was not smart, but due to luck and ineptitude.

As far as a coach goes as soon as Ruff was canned I wanted the oil to line him up. We can all agree he has been highly successful. We have passed up a few great coaches over the past few years and seem to have hired guys that will tow the party line from Lowe and Tambo. Enough already.

Oilersnation - demand change, by spending your hard earned money elsewhere.

Avatar
#116 DigDeepNBleedBlue
April 14 2013, 03:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

You're right. I miss remembered Gagner as in the Swiss league.

At any rate, it is very competitive.

I'm not going to knock goals. Clearly more important than assists.

BUT... there's no reason to knock assists. Omark was leading his team in points when those stars left and he finished with 69 points in 48 games.

That is damn good for a competitive pro league.

I agree, btw, Omark is not "THE" answer. but he is "A" answer. He is better than: Jones, Petrell, Hordichuk, Eager, Brown, Smithson, Smyth and Belanger.

and he's ours.

or, wait... Detroit will make a player out of him and we'll get nothing.

Fair retort, dude.

Omark does have more skill than everyone you mention. But, the team needs, IMO, that skill (or even just half of it) in a player who can add toughness, energy and be a grade A prick. Three of them would be nice.

That's the big argument, I suppose. Brain or brawn? I, personally, would like a mixture of both.

Omark may very well turn out to be a wasted asset. I hope not. I think (hope) we'll see the outcome played out over the draft and the return, whether that is part of a package or straight up, be something of use.

Avatar
#117 Rama Lama
April 14 2013, 03:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

POST TURTLES!

Yea this was funny........and true all at the same time!

Avatar
#118 DigDeepNBleedBlue
April 14 2013, 03:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Joey Joe Jo Junior Shabadoo wrote:

I am an avid listener of the team 1260 as well as espn. A while back Colin Cowhead said that fans of the LA lakers and Yankees are smart fans because they will not attend games if the product is poor. He claims that there is a lot competing for the fans dollars in those markets. As a result the team leadership ensures they are always reloading and that their team is competitive.

Oiler fan needs to be more sophisticated. This non playoff drought has been more than long enough. Toronto is in this time, jets too maybe. But we keep lining up at rexall like lemmings. Send a message to the owner, give the fans a product worth cheering for ASAP.

I too agree that k Lowe has gotta go. He has made way too many poor decision and from my fan's view point his poor decisions seem to be due to his ego. We don't need ego in the head office and nepotism. We need smart management and we have t had that in a long time. Getting 3 1st place draft picks was not smart, but due to luck and ineptitude.

As far as a coach goes as soon as Ruff was canned I wanted the oil to line him up. We can all agree he has been highly successful. We have passed up a few great coaches over the past few years and seem to have hired guys that will tow the party line from Lowe and Tambo. Enough already.

Oilersnation - demand change, by spending your hard earned money elsewhere.

A fan has a right to do what he wants. But, sorry, dude, to me, this is just nonsensical rhetoric. It shows nothing more than someone not happy because they didn't get instant gratification. And, because of that they want to convince others to join their childish boycott.

I heard the same sh*t during the lockout. I still laugh at those fools. One man boycott. Have fun with that.

I'll spend my money how I want.

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire

Avatar
#119 The Soup Fascist
April 14 2013, 03:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Stonecold Stunner wrote:

I am a first time poster but the things that I have been reading is prompting me to do something about it!

Week after week I read posts about how disgruntled people are and spewing advice about what to do with OUR Oilers. I have been an oiler fan for over 30 years and have watched the franchise dating back to it's inception. Safe to say those days will never be back so I think the organization needs to realize this by hiring legit "hockey minds" to run the franchise instead of old alumni! Let go of the past if you are to progress as a person and as an organization! I mean the only person that I would ever hire from that dynasty group is Mark Messier...because he has shown clear direction,leadership, and passion even as a player...and I know he would not accept this pathetic effort of a team we now call the Oilers. Heck, he may even go into the dressing room between periods to bench these kids (and vets) or make them sit in the press box with an "undisclosed" injury just to send the message.

What I'm ultimately here to say is STOP demanding change from management because it's not going to happen by you writing on a blog or bi%&hing about things. We complain day after day and week after week yet sell out every home game, I get it, we are passionate about our team. But from a management perspective, there is no urgency to assemble a team that competes if we keep sending the message that we will continue to support them no matter what!! If you want to send a different message, fans need to become a community and boycott the remaining home games...THAT would send a strong message to Katz and ownership/management. That would tell them that the fans are the reason why they are here! Instead of going through a strike, demanding one of the higher ticket prices in the league, and padding their own pockets while doing so.

Change comes from us...we hold the power people!!! Now, realize that and effect change instead of simply complaining about it!!! Many of you who post here are quite educated as your prose writing pieces and spelling would indicate, so think of a way we can bring the hockey community together and do something worth doing...in unison!!! Playing the victim and complaining just ain't cutting it anymore...because we've been doing it for at least 6 years!!

I appreciate the passion, really I do.

But just so I am clear, your expectation is that all season ticket holders:

A) destroy their remaining prepaid tickets ranging from roughly $30 to $250 per ticket per game.

B) Give up the rights to said season tickets after suffering through a decade of mediocre to terrible teams ..... On the precipice of MAYBE being a good to very good team IF management can be replaced or accidentally develop the ability to find their collective a$$es with both hands. Not to mention going back to #1932 on the waiting list for season tickets.

OK. I am in - just let me know where you want to meet and we will burn our tickets together. You are a season ticket holder, right? Right?

Avatar
#120 Stupendous Man
April 14 2013, 04:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I have serious doubts as to whether enough fans/sponsors could possibly be convinced to boycott the team to actually make a difference.

But I think the team's young core could embarrass Katz into making the necessary management changes.

Think about it . . . . Hall, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins, Yakupov, J. Schultz and Paajarvi (and their representatives) staging a press conference after the season ends to say they will be holding out until a new management team (from outside the organization) is in place.

Heck, they could approach Katz privately about this matter and give him a deadline to respond before they make their demands public.

Even non-hockey fans would be hearing about this stunt.

Avatar
#121 blue31
April 14 2013, 04:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@JoeyJoJo

Other than taking a cheap potshot at Kevin Lowe, can you elaborate on this:

"I too agree that k Lowe has gotta go. He has made way too many poor decision and from my fan's view point his poor decisions seem to be due to his ego. We don't need ego in the head office and nepotism."

Avatar
#122 Stupendous Man
April 14 2013, 04:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Stupendous Man

Rats. I just noticed Vetinari already beat me to this suggestion in Willis' article today.

Avatar
#123 morgie99
April 14 2013, 05:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Jasmine wrote:

You're an idiot. Stop bashing Lowe. Lowe has been bashed since he became GM. Fans are the reason Lowe resigned as GM.

As for Souray, he deserved to be benched. Any team with a brain would have benched him. You can't allow players to walk all over management publicly bashing them in the media and get away with it. Souray deserved to be benched.

wow, I'm an idiot are YOU self projecting or a love affair WITH LOWE

YOUR COMMENTS SPEAK VOLUMES

GROW UP LITTLE GIRL

Avatar
#124 Rama Lama
April 14 2013, 06:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
morgie99 wrote:

wow, I'm an idiot are YOU self projecting or a love affair WITH LOWE

YOUR COMMENTS SPEAK VOLUMES

GROW UP LITTLE GIRL

Just to be straight to the point..........I think that the girl posting as Jasmine is none other than Kevin Lowe himself.

Everyone knows that he alone directs Tamby...........and that without Lowe, Tamby probably could not put his pants on in the morning.

Jasmine .......I mean Kevin...........go do something useful and fire your self you putz!

Avatar
#125 jason
April 14 2013, 06:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Wax Man Riley wrote:

This story just needed to be repeated.

The whole upper management are Post Turtles

amen brother, amen

Avatar
#126 StHenriOilBomb
April 14 2013, 07:17PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Someone wittier than me should write a song that fans could sing about getting rid of Lowe and Tamby. There could be a boycott of food and drink purchases, and the song could be continued on and off through games until something happens.

Imagine that during a HNIC. People would be laughing at DK.

Avatar
#127 michael
April 14 2013, 07:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Kevin wrote:

ya no kidding- i remember listening to him rip the oil when he was with 1260. Now it's a complete joke listening to those two. They must think the Oil fans are idiots. Sadly the only clowns here are the one collecting Edmonton Oiler Pay cheques. Clean this house and the sooner the better and all on mahogany row as well. Leave no stone unturned and lets get on with things. It's a real mess !

Like butt holes everyone has one. "Corporate yes man"? The opinions of some are worth their weight in cow dung. The word impartial is not in Bob's dictionary. That's not because he is getting paid by the Oilers. He could have stayed on Total Sports and still have been the big dog at CFRN. He took the harder road and joined 630 ched and the Oilers. You think that he has been easy on the Oilers? Go listen to Spec some more because you have not been listening to Bob at all this season. He has carved the team when deserved. Listen tomorrow. The day after. If you really think Bob is going to be "easy" on the team and management then you really think that the man has no integrity whatsoever. Bob is not a whore to be bought and sold. He doesn't suck at the corporate cows teet. He tells it as it is if you take the time to listen. He like me and like a lot of us on ON care about the team and the direction we have taken. He gives a sh@# and you better know that his opinions do not change because of the guy signing the cheque. If he did I would be the first guy to carve the guy. Integrity dude. Its a word that we use to describe guys like Bob Staffer, Dan Tencer, Jim Matheson, Robin Brownlee, Lowetide, Willis and JG.

Avatar
#128 merfer
April 14 2013, 07:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

In January Stauffer was predicting Kruegar was going to be chosen as coach of the year this year or next. I wonder what he thinks now!

Avatar
#129 Marty
April 14 2013, 08:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Jasmine wrote:

There are fans who have blasted every draft pick the Oilers have made. They say Oilers should have drafted Seguin over Hall as Seguin is the big centre the Oilers needed.

Oilers got blasted for drafting RNH. They said they should have drafted Larsson or Landeskog.

Oilers got blasted for drafting Yakupov. Oilers fans say they should have drafted Murray or Galchenyuk. Then Cherry blasted the Oilers saying Oilers will regret not drafting Murray.

Oilers get criticized for every single move they've made.

Tambellini does need to fired. 4 coaches in 6 years doesn't help a rebuild. Whatever the Oilers do will be blasted by Oilers fans.

Seriously....is this Kevin Lowe posting as Jasmine?

Avatar
#130 Marty
April 14 2013, 09:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

That team sure did suck last night. They were the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever did suck. There. I said it.

Avatar
#131 Coppperhead
April 14 2013, 09:39PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
merfer wrote:

In January Stauffer was predicting Kruegar was going to be chosen as coach of the year this year or next. I wonder what he thinks now!

Clearly Stauffer will say he was right all along. After all next year can still happen right?

Listening to him and Tencer backtrack is amazing. Before the season started there was all this talk about how the Oilers would be much more competitive (they have been - but that was an easy prediction after last year) and that the head start that the youth had from playing in OKC would get them going quickly (didn't happen). It was all rosy coming from the mouthpieces in January.

Now you listen to them make excuses for them. "It's still just a step in the rebuilding phase." It's pretty nauseating to listen to them explain away the failures of the organization as just part of the process.

Avatar
#132 Walter Sobchak
April 14 2013, 10:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Sorry, late to the game here, I apologize if I mention what's most likely all ready mentioned.

Well, Lowe needs to go, he's the man running this ship into the ground for the better part of a decade.

Tambellini will wear this mess, rightfully so too, if you don't have the balls to tell Lowe to back off then you wear it.

If Katz intervene at the draft to pick Yakupov like some suggest, the Macgregor should go, actually Macgregor should go based on his draft outside of the 3 first taken.

The pro scouting department needs to go.

These players HAVE to go if the Oilers are to pull out of this rebuild.

Defense to Forwards

Petry - Peckham - Schultz Sr. - Tuebert - Whitney

Brown - Smithson - Paajarvi - Hartikinanen - Smyth - Petrel - Gagner - Hemsky - Jones .

These players are antiquated or soft, I mean butter soft.

The Oilers need to bring in size and skill, not just size.

Avatar
#133 Walter Sobchak
April 14 2013, 10:54PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Now here's what I actually think will happen.

Tambellini will be moved to a Sr. Position like Vice President of hockey operations.

Mac-T will move to GM

Olczyk will be fired and Howson will be brought in.

Some of the pro scouts will be dismissed.

The Oilers will draft a RW named Lazar and tell us that they know something that every fricken scout out there doesn't.

MacGregor looks down the whole time he's interviewed trying to explain the logic behind not drafting a C or LW

The Oilers will try and trade for a top pairing defensmen but will end up trading for an antiquated D man like Striet and another soft center like R.J Umberger.

The Oilers will tell us there excited about these moves.

The Oilers will extend an offer to Jones and will not buyout Horcoff saying that it doesn't make sense at this time.

The Oilers actually bring Back Khabibulin for a year at 1.4 explaining that Dubnyk and Khabby would have had an even better save % if the defense was better..........

The Oilers tell us Paajarvi and Hartikinanen put in a great summer of working out, so somehow now there stronger and will even start to body check...they even promise.

The Oilers bring in Klefbom so there defense is finally set.

The Oilers defense is this Striet with Schultz jr .........Klefbom with Smid....Petry with Fistric and of course the Oilers tell us Teddy P is in the bet shape ever and the Oilers offer Whitney 1 year at 2.5

Whitney is insulted, Bitches on Twitter and moves on.

Inexplicably I renew my season tickets.

Avatar
#134 Romanus
April 15 2013, 01:11AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
The Soup Fascist wrote:

I appreciate the passion, really I do.

But just so I am clear, your expectation is that all season ticket holders:

A) destroy their remaining prepaid tickets ranging from roughly $30 to $250 per ticket per game.

B) Give up the rights to said season tickets after suffering through a decade of mediocre to terrible teams ..... On the precipice of MAYBE being a good to very good team IF management can be replaced or accidentally develop the ability to find their collective a$$es with both hands. Not to mention going back to #1932 on the waiting list for season tickets.

OK. I am in - just let me know where you want to meet and we will burn our tickets together. You are a season ticket holder, right? Right?

Lol. Because boycotting games we've already paid for will show them.

Avatar
#135 M22
April 15 2013, 01:36AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Ok, enough. All of this is starting to drive me up the freakin' wall. To every person posting here that is calling for change in the coaching staff or scouting department or roster, or to fire Tambo: STOP IT!!! Stop cluttering up these pages with short-sighted bleatings. ALL of this will be achieved by making only one looong overdue move: the removal of K Lowe from this organization. Removal, as in not another promotion, or sideways shuffle. The embarrassing errors made by this bunch, headed by Lowe, over the last 4-5 yrs have been pointed out at the Nation countless times, so I won't repeat them. As far as I'm concerned, the second most unforgivable act Lowe has done was hiring Tambellini in the first place. The MOST unforgivable? Not correcting his error. Hindsight? Don't give me "hindsight". All one needs to do is listen to Tambellini talk. All you need to know, right there. Honestly, when I hear him, I can't see what Lowe saw in him. Yet, he picked him to steer the ship. Figured he was the guy. Saw savvy, smarts, shrewdness, leadership. Un-be-liev-able. Remove the head - all else falls.

Edit: sorry for the rant, just a frustarted fan......and I love your bleatings

Avatar
#136 Oil99
April 15 2013, 03:34AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I think three must gone this season should be Tambo , Kelly Buchburger ( why he is a assistance coach I have no idea) and Sam Gagner too small to be a centre plus he is gonna demand 5.5 million. All three been here since 2007 and no playoffs since. Even their drafting sucks too all three second round picks are busts (pitlick , musil ,etc) How good Saad would have looked on this team????6'2" 210lbs

Avatar
#137 Benhur
April 15 2013, 10:02AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Jason wrote:

The way i look at there system sucks.They are totally lost in their own zone. A good coach would make changes when he see's his hybrid-system isn't working! but we have seen the same thing thru game 1 until present. You have to build your system around the players you have and there strong points.. you try to hide there weaknesses. That has not been done in my mind yet.

I agree they are a mess in their own end. Over a recent 8 games span they are averaging 21.4 Own Zone Turnovers (OZT)in their own end while the opposition has averaged 8.4 per game. Those 4 games produced 4 Losses and 4 Wins. The wins had as many or more OZTs than the losses including an incredible 31 OZTs by the Oilers vs the Blues 3 OZTs for a 3-0 win! Irregardless the OZT ratio over those 8 games is 2.5:1 against. Against the Flames they had 22 OZTs vs the Flames 6 OZTs. Two turnovers turned into goals! Coaching has got to be suspect for their poor breakouts. Every team knows they can't handle the pressure and throws the kitchen sink at them. I know I would if I were the opposing coach.

Avatar
#138 NewAgeSys
April 16 2013, 09:51AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Spydyr wrote:

You know what would have been a good system this year. The first line with the Shultz's play firewagon hockey. Everyone else traps.

That is two systems,an offensively catalysed system like the NHS that provides pure 60 offensive puck possesion/transition and never surrenders the puck voluntarily, and a defensively catalysed system like the Trap that provides puck possesion/dumpin/control and is allergic to the transitions and their risks.

What we need to do is decide upon and properly manage a single system, the system we choose is less critical than the methods we use to convey the message, we are terminally lacking in Intuition, we dont even have a formula to quantify what the hell it is,ha ha ha.

The solution to the Oilers problems is simple, but there is no room to post it all here properly without drawing heat.Check Moma2s NewAge Hockey System on Google, and follow the crumbs, dont expect a handbook either, but the answers are all right there.

It isnt Kevin Lowe personally that is the issue, it is a systemic issue with historical roots that pre-date both Lowe and Mac-Ts managerial tenures. The Oilers brass tried to replicate Waynes Brains and it has failed epiclly, that is a fact jack.

K-Lowe and Mac-T are goddam heros actually, K-Lowe defended the gates for decades and mac-T build w weapon of mass destruction that almost netted us a Cup.

The SYSTEM is the catalyst of the decay we are witnessing. K-Lowe and Craig and the group are all simple extended influences of the system philosophy itself.

If we can see the Dragon we can slay it, if you want to see the dragon that has been burning our kingdom down then go look for it in the place I directed you earier in my post.

The system must die!! The system must die!! HEAR YE!! HEAR YE ALL11 The System must die if we are to save our Brothers in Arms!! We WILL NOT LOSE ONE MORE GOOD MAN to this demon!!!

Comments are closed for this article.