Kevin Lowe: “We have two types of fans.”

Jonathan Willis
April 15 2013 03:46PM

It’s difficult to sell renewal in a press conference when the new general manager is coming from within, and so it was perhaps unsurprising that the Oilers brass took some hot questions this morning, most notably from the Edmonton Journal’s John MacKinnon and Sportsnet’s Mark Spector.

Unfortunately for the Oilers, team president Kevin Lowe did not handle a number of them very well.

Two Types of Fans

A noticeably aggravated Lowe initially responded to a question from MacKinnon by dividing Oilers fans into two separate tiers of different value to the team:

We have two types of fans: we have paying customers and we have people that watch the game that we still care about but certainly the people that go to the games and support we spend a lot of time talking to them, delivering our message.

On one level, it’s a fair distinction to make. The NHL is very much a gate-driven league, and from a business perspective the most important people to the Oilers are the ones shelling out cash for tickets to every game.

On another level, it’s a breathtakingly stupid thing to say given that a) the fans that go to the games regularly represent a minority of an extremely large fanbase and b) the fans that aren’t regularly in attendance at Rexall still mean a great deal to the financial fortunes of the team. They’re the people who make the Oilers television rights valuable, they’re the people who buy the majority of the team’s merchandise, and to some non-trivial degree they’re also the people that need to be sold on community involvement in a new arena.

From a public relations perspective, there’s simply no reason to remind this rather large group of devoted fans that they matter much less to the organization than the folks shelling out big money for season tickets. That’s one of the things that can be expressed to season-ticket holders in private.

Count My Stanley Cup Rings

And then Lowe kept going. After professing that half the teams in the league would love to trade rosters with Edmonton, he said this:

In terms of the group that messed things up, you’re talking about the group that had a team one period away from winning the Stanley Cup, and you know the cycle of that. You know that we chased a dream for a few years, for our fanbase, like a lot of teams do. And then at some point in that timeframe we realized that’s a bad plan and we made a change. We’re finishing year three of that plan. Are you saying to me you’re getting impatient after three years? And lastly I’ll say, there’s one other guy I believe in hockey today, that is still working in the game, that has won more Stanley Cups than me, so I think I know a little bit about winning if that’s ever a concern.

The point about the team in 2005-06 is a valid one, to be sure; the fact is that the Oilers under Lowe weren’t nearly as bad as they became under Tambellini.

But Lowe’s comment on his Stanley Cup victories as a player was both tone-deaf and irrelevant. Tone-deaf because many fans had already written off the hiring of MacTavish as yet another example of hiring the familiar person rather than the best person available; reminding everyone about the 1980’s simply underscored the notion that this club is living off past achievements. Irrelevant, because the job of a manager and a hockey player is quite different: there is certainly some cross-over but the athletic talents that make a player great don’t necessarily make him a great executive. Wayne Gretzky was a far better hockey player than Scotty Bowman, but in terms of coaching careers there can be no question which had a greater impact; one only needs to look at the management of the last few Stanley Cup winners to realize that a law degree in a lot of cases is a better indicator of management prowess than achievements on the ice.

Does it matter?

The good news for the Oilers organization is that what was said today really doesn’t matter, a point Craig MacTavish repeatedly emphasized during the availability:

It makes very little difference what I say today. What really, truly, matters is what we do tomorrow as an organization to get better. If I can come in here and sell you guys on my capability and credibility to do the job today means nothing tomorrow.

Kevin Lowe bungled things badly at the press conference today. But if, in Craig MacTavish, he found the man who can build Edmonton into a Stanley Cup contender, nobody will remember or care about a few ill-advised comments.

Recently around the Nation Network

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
#1 Nis002
April 15 2013, 04:06PM
Oilers (kind of, but not really) Fan wrote:

Though I am not really a fan because I have children and am raising a family and can't afford season tickets, I still have an opinion on the current state of the Oilers.

From top to bottom, owner to players, to Joey f**king Moss. The Oilers are a joke.

And I have loved the Oilers since I was a kid growing up in the eighties.

F**k Em.

Look. like you still need some growing up to do...including Joey Moss in your statement is a Joke, classless, and idiotic move.

#2 Oilers Fan - Kind of Not Really
April 15 2013, 05:59PM

Edit:

Substitute trainers for Joey Moss.

It was my intention to point out the organization was a joke from top to bottom but was worded very poorly. I have nothing but respect for Joey. I can see why people took it the wrong way.

My apologies to everyone I offended.

#3 Joel Skulsky
April 15 2013, 08:13PM

Sorry for comments here kevin. Afterall, I am one of those other fans.

I remember going to Oiler games as a Bay Blueliner. Yep, up there in the deep end, WHA days, cheering the boys. My family didnt have much, so that's all I could afford. Sorry I wasn't a better fan Kevin.

Then the NHL came. I was a student at the Uof A, paying my tuition, scartched together a few dollars to attend the odd game or so. Sorry i did'nt do more.

The I graduated! Got a job. Still couldn't really afford tickets, but i got a jersey and watched all the games I could. I know I could have done more.

Then I got transfered to Thunder Bay! I subscibed and got the Saturdat Journal mailed to me, before the internet came Kevin, to keep tabs on the TV. I missed the games pn ITV, but found out ITV was carried in the town of Long Lac, four hours north. I went there every Wednesday I could to watch the team. Youare boys were fantastic Keven. All those cups. I bet there would have been more if I did more.

Then, I got transfered to calgary. Close to home! Still an Oiler fans. My kids are 21 and 18 now. Since they were 4 and 2, I bought tickets every Christmas when I came up and took my father and my two sons to a game. We have been faithfully doing it every year, except the strike years of course. But i understand, you needed more money.

We didn's miss this year though. We came up just a few weeks ago and say you beat calgary. My 86 year old and my sons loved it. What a tradition! Alas, it's not enough however.

I'm so sorry I am not an "A" fan Kevin. I havn't missed a game on TV yet this year, I have a bunch of jesey's, even one signed by Smyth when my son was ill and in the hospital.

It's not easy being a die-hard fan in calgary Kevin. My neighbours don't like me. My co-workers are on me for the last seven years. But I stayed true. Now you don't like me.

On behalf of all of us, who have been there from the beginning, who grew up with the team, I'm sorry for not being a better fan.

Now it's your turn to apoligize to all of us.

#4 Will
April 15 2013, 04:10PM

"There are two kinds of Oilers fans, and the management has disappointed them both."

"There are two types of Oiler fans, those that think Tambillini should have been fired, and everyone else who thinks I should be fired too."

"There are two types of Oiler fans, the come in copper or blue; they both have variable speeds and a really solid oscillation function that can really get a room's airflow going."

"There are two types of Oilers fans, the people who come and pay our astronomical ticket and concessionary prices, and everyone else who can change the channel in the second period, and not have to watch the horrible product we're selling."

"There are two types of Oilers fans, ones that constantly remind people about how good a team we used to have, and everyone else who isn't satisfied with what we currently got."

"There are two types of Oilers fans, ones that hate Calgary, and ones that wish I was their president. What's that Mac T? That's only one kind of fan, hmmmm."

#5 outdoorzguy
April 15 2013, 06:04PM

In one breath Loser Lowe compares his managerial skills to Scotty Bowman.

Then in another breath he tells almost a million taxpayers who will pay for the new arena so his millionaire players have somewhere to work, that they don't really matter to the team.

Quality leadership from a real jerk.

Arrogant

Autocratic

A**shole

#6 -30-
April 15 2013, 03:50PM

What about all the "fans" who are indirectly paying for the new arena with their tax dollar?

#7 Ducey
April 15 2013, 04:28PM

Its ironic that people react to Lowe's ill considered and overly emotional remarks with their own ill considered and overly emotional comments here.

#8 playoffbound2013
April 15 2013, 05:03PM

Stupid Lowe, real stupid.

I can (and have) afford season tickets, I cant afford the time commitment to go to that many games with 3 small children.

I have supported the team by, buying jerseys, paying for PPV games (thankfully gone), watching games on sportsnet, tsn and on CBC and making my way to a game when I have time.

It makes me more than a little angry when I see any GM talk about 2 classes of fans. Especially in a shortened season due to a lock out (money grab).

When I get emails from the oilers asking me to renew my mini season packs or re-up for season tickets, they should title the email "Grab your ankles, we are coming in dry."

#9 DrunkGuyTy
April 15 2013, 06:44PM

So everyone on here who is so offended by Lowe's stupid comment has never made any sort of negative or rude comment about Lowe? Get some skin. Lowe's been called everything on these boards and yet when he says what would be the closest thing to any sort of direct response, everyone gets all offended.

We take personal shots and make completely ignorant comments at players, management, owners, supporters, haters all the time. Quit being a bunch of babies just cuz someone punches back.

I think what he said was moronic too. I have an option just like each of you do. If it bothers you that much, speak with your wallet. Quit crying wolf.

#11 slats432
April 15 2013, 04:11PM

"Suck it K-Lo. Suck it long, and suck it hard." -in Sean Connery voice.

#12 TDSM31
April 15 2013, 10:21PM
The Soup Fascist wrote:

Best note ever.

Lets all chip in and post this letter in a full page ad in the Journal...

#13 Todd
April 15 2013, 04:27PM

who cares... Lowe was pissed off and showed emotion. Personally I appreciate it after 4 years of Mr Dithers making rambling pointless commentary that not only didn't answer the question but weren't even coherent responses.

This team needs passion. People should get over it.

#14 Racki
April 15 2013, 04:33PM
Oilers (kind of, but not really) Fan wrote:

And I have loved the Oilers since I was a kid growing up in the eighties.

F**k Em.

Wow......

You sure one-upped Lowe in monumental stupidity with the Moss comment.

#15 TDSM31
April 15 2013, 04:44PM
Oilers (kind of, but not really) Fan wrote:

And I have loved the Oilers since I was a kid growing up in the eighties.

F**k Em.

WTF does Joey Moss have to do with the Oilers being a joke?? Like Lowe, I'm sure you'll wish you wouldn't have put your foot in your mouth today.

#16 VK63
April 15 2013, 04:57PM

Oh c'mon. Dan Tencer alienates a larger number of the Oilers fan base in three phone calls.

His job is also secure.

#17 TDSM31
April 15 2013, 07:04PM
Oilers Fan - Kind of Not Really wrote:

Edit:

Substitute trainers for Joey Moss.

My apologies to everyone I offended.

Now if Kevin Lowe can man up the same way you just did...

#18 The 'Real' Ron Burgundy
April 15 2013, 04:07PM

What a complete joke,

This arrogant, pompous asshat just solidified why he is the one who needs to go.

As a fan of the Oilers today, I could care less how many cups he won in the past While He Was Getting Paid as a Player to WIN them; Now he's getting Paid to put together a team of managers, coaches and players to WIN now, a fact that seems lost with him after hearing todays speech.

#19 The Soup Fascist
April 15 2013, 04:41PM

I have a dream.

That one day Oiler Nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of it's creed: "We hold of these truths to be self-evident: that all Oiler's fans are created equal"

I have a dream that one day on the streets of Edmonton, the sons of season ticket owners and the sons of those who watch on TV, can sit down together and laugh at the Canucks.

I have a dream that the province of Alberta will come to it's senses and buck up the last $55 million for a beautiful rink where all Oiler fans will be welcome.

I have a dream that my four little children will be part of an Oiler Nation where they will not be judged by the cost of their tickets or if they have tickets at all, but by the extent to which they think the Flames suck.

I have a dream today.

#20 warren
April 15 2013, 06:15PM

first move.....nashville is in full rebuild

gagner, klefbom, and 1st for....you know

#21 Oilers (kind of, but not really) Fan
April 15 2013, 03:52PM

And I have loved the Oilers since I was a kid growing up in the eighties.

F**k Em.

#22 Hemipower
April 15 2013, 03:52PM

I am pretty sure Lowe "meant well" but he is gonna be eaten alive over the comments. What he said is true - he just said it wrong.

#23 Hemipower
April 15 2013, 03:59PM

@Jonathan Willis

Agreed. Klowe had a bad day - I thought MacT had a good one.

#24 Ducey
April 15 2013, 04:03PM

Well said.

In this day an age of instant messaging and blogs people love nothing more than to jump on every little comment anyone in the public eye makes.

If the Oilers make some shrewd moves over the summer, Lowe's blather won't matter.

Don't underestimate the impact of Howson. He has the requisite law degree and experience and is key to this deal.

#25 gcw_rocks
April 15 2013, 04:07PM

I thought his bit about not being the decision maker over the last few years was interesting.

Woodguy, over on LT's site, noted this from a Gregor interview with Lowe.

From April 25th, 2012: "Meanwhile in Edmonton, Kevin Lowe was interviewed by Jason Gregor.

When Gregor asked:

Steve Tambellini is the GM, and you have said on record that he’s the guy who makes the decisions. He came out and said, “Tom Renney take a few weeks off. I’m going away for a few weeks and then we’ll make our decision.” Does he come back to you with his thoughts, or how do the dynamics actually work right now in the Oiler’s hierarchy?

Lowe responded:

“Yeah. Steve will make the recommendations as to what he thinks the team needs to do moving forward, and he and I will discuss them as we have done for the last number of years. When Steve made the recommendation to hire Pat, and I thought that was a good idea

Woordguy's take: "For everyone who says that Lowe is not in charge and that its Tambellini’s team, well you have it right from Kevin Lowe that he still makes the decisions.

Steve Tambellini – General Manager of making recommendations"

Lowe made statements that would appear to be contradicted by his own words on Gregor's show.

#26 The 'Real' Ron Burgundy
April 15 2013, 04:28PM

So my ten jerseys, thirteen hats and countless shirts and other various memorabilia...

Plus the countless pay-per-views, actually everyone of them...

...Makes me less important of a fan because I didn't have the disposable income to spend on overpriced season tickets.

What a complete idiotic fool.

#27 TDSM31
April 15 2013, 04:29PM

The next person in line to be forced to do something immediately within the Oilers organization is J.J. Hebert...he better make damn sure he gets Kevin Lowe in front of the media to retract/clarify some of the statments he made in the presser today.

#28 gong show
April 15 2013, 05:06PM

I am a season ticket holder and I am disgusted with KLowe's arrogance and ineptitude. I would like to know what value he has added other than apparently showing his leadership abilities by flashing his 6 rings for the guys around the boardroom table. A full 7 years ago he brought in Pronger. I have trouble remembering anything else of value.

#29 Christoff
April 15 2013, 05:09PM

Lowe made a brutal mistake when seemingly lessening the importance of fans like myself that cannot afford to take my kids to a game. There's a reason my Oilers gear has not bee on my back this season (after the league failed to show up for work) and now there's another reason why saving up to take my kids to an Oilers game is NOT even close to a recreational priority.

#30 Spydyr
April 15 2013, 05:11PM

I have watched and cheered for the Oilers since before they were in the NHL.Remaining loyal through thick and thin.Lots of the later lately.After Lowe's two types of fans comment today after years of ineptitude.Well for the first time since they Oilers joined the NHL I'm thinking of having another favourite team.

Pittsburgh with Crosby, Malkin and Jerome whom I have always liked but played for the enemy and could never cheer for.A team with competent management.

Maybe just for this years playoff.Since for the 7th year my team won't be there.I'll cheer and support another team.Perhaps the next jersey I buy won't have an Oilers logo on it.After all I have 5 already and much more other Oiler merchandise.

Guess that does not matter to the Oilers .Only my tax dollars.

#31 Reg Dunlop
April 15 2013, 05:49PM

As a season ticket holder and an extremely valuable fan I would like to request that all the TV riff raff pseudo-fans here be immediately silenced. Your opinion means nothing to me and my close, personal friends Kevin and Daryl.

My true opinion of this day is that it is all a smokescreen, a diversion from the anger we all felt at the boot-jacking Calgary handed us. Bottom line, Oilers have many non-NHL players and players who lack the character to give their best effort all season long.

#32 Rocknrolla
April 15 2013, 05:55PM
Keith wrote:

A guy like that gets angry over a question like that , he must have people saying yes to him all the time. I feel sorry for his family. Probably a bully.

No wonder his son didn't want to play here!

Work for my dad too? No thanks!

#33 count
April 15 2013, 06:29PM
outdoorzguy wrote:

In one breath Loser Lowe compares his managerial skills to Scotty Bowman.

Quality leadership from a real jerk.

Arrogant

Autocratic

A**shole

SHUT UP .

#34 The Soup Fascist
April 15 2013, 06:54PM
Jonathan Willis wrote:

Well, yes, there was that too.

1st day on the job. Should be a free pass on the pseudo-tampering offence.

#35 outdoorzguy
April 15 2013, 08:09PM

To quote Loser Lowe, "we have two types of fans".

Well, in reality we have "one type of management"...Not capable.

#36 outdoorzguy
April 15 2013, 08:12PM
Closetgm wrote:

I am a season ticket holder and I am not happy about lowes comments. This team is edmontons. The people in this city bleed copper and blue. For him to make these comments just shows what he actually believes. That this team is his and a select few that are fortunate enough to have the money for season tickets. What a complete crock. I am happy tambellini is gone and I really hope that mact gets it right. The fans deserve to have a winning team but I am not so sure management does.

Ps I am a season ticket holder.

I'm sorry you've spent a great deal of money and not really received anything in return. Clearly, based on Lowe's comments, they don't listen to you and don't care one way or the other.

#37 Dog Train
April 15 2013, 08:33PM

I am glad that some tough questions were asked at the presser. Lowe handled them very clumsily. I didn't think that Lowe's public perception from many Oilers fans could get much worse but I definitely think that it did today.

#38 wiseguy
April 16 2013, 12:30AM
outdoorzguy wrote:

To quote Loser Lowe, "we have two types of fans".

Well, in reality we have "one type of management"...Not capable.

Obnoxious outdoorzguy, I hate Lowe (and management) as much as you do, but the name calling is juvenile and tiring. You've made your point; you've been doing it for weeks; it hasn't and is not going to stick... adult posters aren't going to attach a name to Lowe just because it starts with the same letter. Give it up. I agree with most of your comments but the name calling drowns out everything else you say because it undermines your credibility.

#39 The Soup Fascist
April 16 2013, 02:10AM
Undone wrote:

Did anyone notice if Lowe at least took his shoes and socks off prior to putting both feet in his mouth?

It sure didn't take the media suckups long to start explaining away Lowe's brutal performance today. Rishaug and Spec fell all over themselves trying to tell us we didn't see what we saw and heard from the buffoon convention from Rexall. They even went so far as to read Lowe's mind to explain what he intended. They must have taken a big pull on the Koolaid bottle.

What happened guys did someone threaten to cut you off from the freebies at Rexall or maybe your press passes? What a cave-job. The E-town media spin cycle is alive and working well.

Did you watch the presser? Kudos to the MSM for asking tough questions. Specifically Spec and MacKinnon.

#40 steven gregson
April 15 2013, 03:54PM

what scares me is the comments on impatience that mac T made. Yes Tambellini was far to patient and the moves he made (we presume he made the decisions over) were for the most part, terrible. I would hope for the sake of the oilers that impatience does not lead to selling off assets for intangible things such as 'grittyness' or whatever word you want to describe it as. As Lowetide put it, this team needs hockey players, not speciality rolls that players like Mike Brown fill. I would also hope that age is taken into account in the moves this team makes. The priority should be finding affordable hockey players in their mid 20's, not early 30s, and I would be very worried about trading players with a lot of potential for these things.

David Clarkson or Milan Lucic would not be the answer Edmonton. Anyone who thinks they are is misinformed over how a good hockey team plays. This team lacks the ability to possess the puck and drive the play. Evidence is in their lack of improvement in scoring chances created.

#41 Zonah
April 15 2013, 03:59PM

Suck Kevins Lowe

#42 Nis002
April 15 2013, 04:00PM

Lowe simply being subjective rather than being objective. Lowe needs to get off the high and needs to ground himself. Being a hardcore fan from Vancouver is tough and you can only say that Oilers has 5 cups and the Canucks had 0 so many times. I like the Mac T move and hopefully he makes smarter and bolder moves than Tambo. Free agents here comes the Oilers.

#44 Zamboni Driver
April 15 2013, 04:06PM

@Jonathan Willis

The 'paying for the Cups' demonstrates the lunacy of continuing to pay attention to the "Boys on the Bus".

Craig, MBA can't count to Twenty Three - as in years.

yeah, that's the problem. The hangover from Messier.

#45 outdoorzguy
April 15 2013, 04:06PM
Jonathan Willis wrote:

There's no doubt that what Lowe said was true. If you'd asked me yesterday whether the team cared more about the season ticket holders, I'd have said 'Obviously.'

If you'd asked me, 'Would an executive with the team ever publicly point out that they care way more about the season ticket holders?' I'd have said, 'No, they aren't dumb enough to do that.'

Kevin Lowe sure is stupid enough!!

He should do the right thing...resign. After all the rage over Tiger Woods not withdrawing from the Masters because he dropped his ball three feet behind his original one, you'd think there would be a deafening roar for Loser Lowe to resign. Just think of how many people he pissed off. Almost all of a city (minus the 14000 season ticket holders), all of the sponsors, all of the bars and restaurants who televise the games, all of the single parents or families who can't afford to go to a game.

This idiot has proven nothing, other than how to dismantle a team. Maybe if he took those 6 cups out of his ass he'd be able to figure it out.

#46 Dipstick
April 15 2013, 04:07PM
-30- wrote:

That was my first thought as well.

#47 jason
April 15 2013, 04:11PM

a very well written article. i was one of those "non season ticket holding" class of fans very put off by kevin lowe's attitude this morning, and wrote anangry bog expressing that. i don't forgive him for what he said and have no respect for lack of responsibility he takes for the teams predicament. however, don't we owe mact a chance to turn the teams fortunes? perhaps, he'll stand up to lowe and be able to make meaningfull trades and free agent signings. i know it seems like same puppet master different puppet, but i'm willing to give mact the draft and free agency to see what he can do.

#48 oiler_head
April 15 2013, 04:15PM

I don't think I'll wear my Oilers gear around PDX anymore. I don't want to be known as THAT fan...

I was the more importantly regarded fan until '96 when I moved to the US as my life required. Then I became THAT fan who has owned the NHL package since '99 to watch the Oilers, bought 4 jerseys and just finished drinking out of my Oilers coffee cup (at least it wasn't KoolAid)but has only been able to attend one game in the last 10 years (3-0 loss to Minny - good game there Klowe!).

Should I tell my 10 year old that he is also THAT fan too?

#49 Fogey
April 15 2013, 04:25PM

Easy there, KLowe. I'm a life-long fan now living in Calgary. I take my kids up to E-town once a year to watch a game at Rexall. I'm not the richest guy on the block so this is quite the extravagance for me, but it's our little tradition. I've bought jserseys online for both my boys and me over the last couple of years. I'm not sure if I fall into your neatly delineated taxonomy of fans there, but you would be wise not to alienate that fan base as there are many Oilfans outside of YEG.

Oh, and as the brother of someone with Down Syndrome I caution everyone to leave Joey Moss out of this discussion. End of story.

#50 Rama Lama
April 15 2013, 04:36PM

If there is something for Kevin Lowe to learn.......it's about messaging. It's also speaks to needing a comprehensive communication strategy, that incorporates PR professionals that can help guide the process.

The Oilers have under Katz ownership have been operating in a public arena using a private buiness model for a communication strategy.

Silence by Lowe and Katz and empty words ( like only Tamby could do) have amounted to a full scale backlash.

It's time for the Oilers to hire some marketing/PR professionals........their image is in tatters.