PHOTOSHOP REMINDER

Wanye
April 18 2013 10:30AM

A quick thing needs to be discussed today. Nothing crazy - just the usual cry for last minute entries for our photoshop contest.

PHOTOSHOP CONTEST PRAISE

Our Grade A Tier One Wanye Fan (there are only 1,249 types) @adman0828 tweeted me the other day saying "Hey Wanye, take a look at this." Now generally that means someone is trying to send me a link to make money by making surveys online or trying to show me what bad things people are saying online about me.

But not the Ad Man he's as legit as they come. Turns out some academic genius has recognized the greatest online community since Geocities and wrote a blog about Hockey and the Remix culture citing our photoshop contests as a new era in sports media.

We kind of think of them as a funny way to see Taylor Hall's face photoshopped onto a girl but whatever.

So says the article:

A remix culture, according to Lawrence Lessig, is one where "people participate in the creation and the re-creation of their culture" (Lessig, 2007). It is one where people can use an existing artifact to create something new and unique.

So far so good we can dig the concept of a remix culture. Carry on with the praise new best friend.

OilersNation, a fan website, recently hosted a photoshop contest that invited readers to submit their edited images inspired by the Edmonton Oilers. Original narratives and themes from movies, television shows and advertising are used with Oiler-related images to create new content. Fans expressed their feelings and thoughts regarding the Oilers season, team managements decisions as well as optimism and support for the clubs future.

That sounds about right even though he forgot to mention its EXTREMELY HILARIOUS to call Ryan Nugent Hopkins a lil baby and ask people to show him being buckled into his carseat prior to the game.

Now sure this article was written in 2011 and we only found out about it a couple days ago. And sure it goes on to basically say we are breaking copyright laws left and right and will probably live out our life in jail somewhere for suggesting the contest.

But between this and the Yak City contest being shown on Hockey Night in Canada the photoshop contests are clearly awesome. And everyone knows it. And you can trust us we have now been citied in an academic article as a real thing.

Classic

AND SO

We need submissions for the contest for there to be a winner of the prize - (3) unreleased Nation Gear tees from events over the past year. The concept is showing the Oilers management regime changeover like they do in North Korea. Show pics of soldiers marching. Remix some propaganda posters and show  Kim Jong Un being Kevin Lowe. Use the hilarious pictures of Dennis Rodman making a visit for some strange reason.

Deadline entries are tomorrow unless we don't get many more. Fire em over to wanyegretz at gmail dot com. What is everyone doing anyway? Working?

PFFT

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 Magnum
April 18 2013, 01:55PM

You copy my Twitter account theme you insubordinate swine! Your family will despise you as they will be eliminated because of you cross the great KimJongLowe. Many nuclear weapons will fall on your head for days.

@KimJongLowe

#2 David S
April 18 2013, 03:27PM

That p-shop tease first pic is effin' awesome. LEAGUES better than what I sent in. Man do I suck. Gonna have to stock up on Doritos and Mountain Dew on the way home. It'll be a long night of image swiping and photo-shoppery tonight.

#3 mtr1979
April 18 2013, 11:10AM

Are you guys sure that having captions of Asian people speaking "Engrish" and drawing parallels between a political/military regime guilty of serious human rights violations and the local hockey team is really what you want Oilersnation associated with?

I'm no reactionary type who is easily offended but this seems pretty tasteless with the potential for more harm than good..

#4 hunkybill
April 18 2013, 11:29AM
mtr1979 wrote:

I think it is hilarious.

#5 Eddie Shore
April 18 2013, 11:44AM

@mtr1979

Is ok, everting okay.

Goiler.

#6 judgedrude
April 18 2013, 11:47AM

Does the the referred to article have any more or less credibility due to its date?

Friday, April 1, 2011

#7 David S
April 18 2013, 03:25PM
mtr1979 wrote:

THIS is what happens when people type oilersnation.com when they meant to type oprah.com. For the love of god people pay attention to your web URL's before you press that ENTER key.

#8 Harlie
April 18 2013, 10:44AM

Just wanted to give a shout out to "FLIGHTHUB" one of the ON sponsors. I used their site recently to book airplane tickets to Arizona and back and I found their site better than Tripadvisor and other "multi" choice airplane sites. The flighthub pricing was all in with taxes and the site itself offers up quick options on cheaper dates that I found was less clunky than the way other sites set-up.

P.S - I suck at photoshop so these all look good to me Senor Wanye.

#9 madjam
April 18 2013, 11:17AM
Harlie wrote:

P.S - I suck at photoshop so these all look good to me Senor Wanye.

Flight Center will more often beat their price and have multiple offices around the city . Just bring them your best price you can find. FlightHub is good as well for info and pricing no doubt, but I know of no local outlets . I use FlightHub and bring quote into Flight Center to make sure I get best price .

#10 Carlos Danger
April 18 2013, 12:02PM
mtr1979 wrote:

Chinese people don't even like hockey. How would they ever find out?

It's not like they can ask for Stalin pics, as that might offend Yakupov, or hold a contest with a Hitler pic because of the Jews fondness of free stuff. It really is the safest choice for OilersNation.

#11 Harlie
April 18 2013, 12:12PM
madjam wrote:

Interesting...thanks. I haven't been to a travel office since the 80's! I just do it all online. But that's good to shop and compare.

#12 Archaeologuy
April 18 2013, 04:24PM

*Pulls out the Suede Patches*

This sh*t is getting Academic!

#13 Archaeologuy
April 18 2013, 04:27PM

@David S

Agreed. That first one is amazing. I didnt even notice Howson was in it until after I stopped gawking over how great MacT looked. So Silver Foxy.

#16 @Oilanderp
April 18 2013, 09:28PM

Uhhh... there's a photoshop contest?

#17 robinrussia
April 19 2013, 06:24AM
Carlos Danger wrote:

Chinese people don't even like hockey. How would they ever find out?

Chinese do indeed like Hockey. Just not a widely popular sport. All sorts of leagues across asia, China, Taiwan, HK, Thailand, Mongolia etc. As a matter of fact China is ranked in mens hockey, Taiwan won the Asia Challenge Cup against HK. North and South Korea are even ranked.

Anyways, if you can not disparage a dictator, who would be left? Obama?

#18 pelhem grenville
April 19 2013, 06:47AM

...to be mentioned as a source for anything two lines under the likes of THE GREATEST TAGGER OF ALLTIME>>> BANKSY!!!?????

do you know where that puts you my leader?

i bow to you in humble obedience...period

#19 RMGS
April 19 2013, 07:04AM
mtr1979 wrote:

It's not just tasteless; it's racist.

#20 RMGS
April 19 2013, 07:10AM
Carlos Danger wrote:

Chinese people don't even like hockey. How would they ever find out?

Aren't comments here supposed to be moderated? This post is embarrassing on too many levels. I guess the original blog set the tone properly.

#21 Peter
April 19 2013, 11:14AM

@hunkybill

That's because you're racist.

#22 Peter
April 19 2013, 11:18AM
Wanye wrote:

It's all in good fun homie.

No Wayne, this isn't good fun. My wife is a non-native English speaker, and is also asian. So many people around the world are ashamed of their English ability, and this kind of stuff doesn't help. It is exclusionary and racist. This would hurt her to see racist jokes like this.

Not funny man