ONE FOR KRUEGER

Lowetide
April 20 2013 07:41AM

Edmonton Oilers fans have one eye on the standings and one eye on the draft lottery (where young men like Sasha Barkov--in photo--are available) as we hit the final stretch of this season. Oilers coach Ralph Krueger's goal may be the exact opposite of the Nation. Or is it?

I very much like Krueger's take on this situation. The Oilers have had THREE number one selections since 2010 summer and the time to turn the corner is now. Another week of losses might seem like a small deal, but the Oilers have to stand and deliver at some point and losing for the sake of draft position after those three long, losing years seems noxious to this Oiler fans. If they lose the games fair and square, so be it. However, the Oilers owe it to the spirit of sport to make every effort to do as Krueger suggests in the quote above--and I'm sure they will.

CAN THEY RUN THE TABLE?

The Oilers are currently tied for 23rd in the NHL, with 5 games left (they have a game in hand on several other clubs, but also have a ridiculous final week coming). Taylor Hall left last night's game with an arm injury, Ales Hemsky may not play again this season and there are no gimme's among the teams Edmonton faces this coming week (ANA x 2, Chicago, Minnesota, Vancouver).

Chances are Edmonton remains about where they are (the Flames may pass them, Calgary doesn't know how to lose properly) and a reasonable guess would have them drafting 6th-10th. The draft board on Kingsway might look like this:

1. Seth Jones
  2. Jonathan Drouin
  3. Nathan MacKinnon
  4. Sasha Barkov
  5. Sean Monahan
  6. Elias Lindholm
  7. Valeri Nicushkin

and I'd think they would be thrilled with any of the top 5. There's still a lot to be sussed out about this year's edition and of course there's always a wild card (often a defenseman) in there somewhere. Darnell Nurse is a defenseman getting a lot of chatter, perhaps he ends up being this year's surprise selection in the draft.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

Losing games to improve draft position isn't a sin on the scale of putting ketchup on spaghetti (what the hell?) but as a fan I'm pleased with Krueger's quote. To hell with losing, every damn Oiler fan has had enough for a lifetime. Seriously.

The Memorial Cup champion 1963 Oil Kings are appearing this weekend (along with Paul Henderson and others) at the Summit IV memorabilia and collectibles show at Millennium Place in Sherwood Park today (1:30 to 2:30 p.m.) and tomorrow (11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m).

We'll be broadcasting the show live today noon to 2pm, and interviewing many of the Oil Kings players at the event. The day is "fluid", but scheduled to appear:

• Members of the 1963 Oil Kings: Gregg Pilling, Bert Marshall, Bob Falkenberg, Dave Rochefort, Tom Bend, Russ Kirk, Vince Downey, Harold Fleming and Jim Brown.
  • Scott Francis Winder will preview the FC's home game this week
  • Evan Daum will discuss the FC's season, the Oil Kings and more.
  • Kent Simpson (Oil Kings color commentator) gives us an update on what is turning into a very good series.
  • Dennis King, to talk Oilers, Craig MacTavish, Kevin Lowe and more.
C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#51 The Soup Fascist
April 20 2013, 10:27AM
Spydyr wrote:

@Tom

Lowetide posts thoughtful, funny and insightful articles.Everyone has a different opinion.Some more different then other.That is what makes the comments sections fun.

This is a sports blog.Who really cares if the period is outside the quotation marks.We are all here to talk about hockey not grammar.If you want to talk about grammar I'm sure there are blogs for that too.Please go enjoy yourself at one.

You mean the period is supposed to be INSIDE the quotation marks? Doh!!

#52 Stuck in Calgary
April 20 2013, 10:30AM

@ Tom

Your lack of discernment with regards to your argument vs. audience is rather disturbing. For someone who claims to be educated and intelligent, you've sure missed the mark. Lowetide is one of the more insightful bloggers out there. If you don't like how he writes, stop reading. The attitude you've displayed in your posts will only lead to being ignored, or labelled a 'troll.' Either way, this is not the place to try to be a 'smart-ass.' Then again, you might just be DSF.

Back to hockey...Go Oilers.

#53 justDOit
April 20 2013, 10:30AM

@Tom

dont worrie thom, ewe culd allwayz creeate a knew acountt to hyde frum yer dickish caumments towords Lowetide?

#54 Romulus' Apotheosis
April 20 2013, 10:31AM
Tom wrote:

ok,can someone explain to me the system that Kreuger has put in place and how it has hindered the Oilers. Should we be going after Lindy Ruff.

First,

C'mon guys, let's move along here.

Second,

Zona's recent article is the main point people are circling around re: RK

#55 Spartacus
April 20 2013, 10:35AM
Maggie the Monkey wrote:

If there was ever a good cause for a negative prop button this comment is it.

Tom, I work as both a content and a copy editor professionally and LT is one of the better technical writers about sports out there. Mistakes happen in all sorts of publications, from PhD dissertations to the NY Times to hockey blogs. I'm not sure why you're letting whatever minor errors have slipped through bother you so much - he has a lot of great things to say and says them well.

ps: Good luck trying to survive a NewAgeSys comment. (I am fond of them.)

Good points.

Let's also keep in mind that LT has to be one of the most prolific bloggers in hockey.

Two blogs per day on Lowetide and at least one per day on the Nation.

That's a lot of writing every day.

Like Letterman would say, "How much did you pay for the tickets to today's show?"

You should start charging by the word, LT.

(Please don't.)

#56 Tom
April 20 2013, 10:43AM

I must admit that you have all called me out pretty good. I guess writing is harder then I thought. I apologize for my comments. Back to hockey.

#57 K_Mart
April 20 2013, 10:54AM

My assessment of Krueger so far has been strong. He's given the kids all the ice time they needed to carry This team. It appears as though he has the respect of the players. Ive really liked how he's been running the pp, pk, and goalie situation. It was also nice to see him hold everyone accountable this season. To me, it is obvious that coaching is not the problem, but... yes there is always a but. If there were a better coach available, who brought more of what this team needs, then we should hire him. Im not convinced that Person is LRuff, but the way some of you talk, you act like you wouldnt hire Babcock if he were available. That is nuts, if MacT for some reason knew LRuff was a better coach than Kruegs, than he should hire him. It wouldnt be about Krueger failing, he never had a chance to fail, but you should always hire the best man for the job. So if MacT knew without a doubt that LRuff was better than Kreuger, it would be foolish not to hire him. That might be like seeing Toews available as a UFA and not pursuing him because you thimk Nuge has been a good 1st line c. You Just move nuge to 2c and Krueger back to A.C.

#58 Numenius
April 20 2013, 10:54AM

Principe was a little inaccurate with his quotation. RK didn't say anything about the lottery:

"We don't want the Edmonton Oilers picking in the top 5 in the draft. We want to move up in that category even if that gets us to 21st or whatever we want to reach for. … I think we can get this team to 21st in the league, which I kind of have set with the team as a goal here."

RK and LT are absolutely right to emphasize not tanking. To tank now, especially intentionally, would show lack of character and would encourage the losing culture that is still prevalent in the organization.

#59 Romulus' Apotheosis
April 20 2013, 10:58AM
Numenius wrote:

there are several ways to tank.

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcMGSdPVZiY

not cool

2) tinker with the roster (sit players with lingering injuries; call up prospects)

3) simply be bad

2 and 3 aren't mutually exclusive.

I, like many, want the Oil to tank. I want Barkov.

That doesn't mean I want to watch Hall give up or anything. I want to lose 5-4 games every night until the season is over.

#60 michael
April 20 2013, 11:03AM

Treat Tom's comment as a reminder to all of us to do better. After all we are ON not Canucks Army or worse yet flames Nation. Move on to the topic or something else relevant to our team.

For example. Lowetide have we seen the last of Hemsky or do we see him for another season? I felt we wasted an opportunity to cash in on his value.Unless his foot was such that Tambo did not want another repeat of the Fraser Fiasco. Also is Smithson a viable #4 center moving forward. Is his Corsie numbers a result of the system he was in in TBay or were there any other contributing factors? Belanger is a buyout without question. Do you save a buyout or 2014 or do trade for a buyout player on another team and then buy him out. For example would you trade for Danny Brier and get Philly's second round pick also.Philly is capped out and will need to spend to get out of their situation. If I am the Oilers management I would prey upon Holmgren and try to get him to give you something.Philly cares little about picks. There all about Veteran players.Squeeze a little. The buyouts are going to be very valuable to non cap teams with money to spend.If you Philly you can't buyout Brier and Bryzgalov.Its insane that kind of money. Teams will need to get cheaper and that means a team like Edmonton has an opportunity to get an asset.Edmonton is ideally situated going into the summer cap wise.

#61 Rama Lama
April 20 2013, 11:14AM

I say it is pointless winning a bunch of games at this stage. I say we blow for Barkov!

I for one don't want another 5" 10" right winger........we have enough of those!

#62 Numenius
April 20 2013, 11:14AM

I want Barkov too. And losing the last games 5-4 would be an acceptable way to tank to me.

But if the Oilers could find a way to win all last 5 games, I think it would bring something better (though more intangible) to the team than Barkov.

#63 KlimasLovechild
April 20 2013, 11:24AM

I'd have to agree with Tom on this one but have never bothered to comment as my own grammar isn't perfect and some idiot would come back at me for not capitalizing something. The key difference is neither me nor Tom are trying to pass ourselves off as a semi professional journalist. Having said that, LOWEtide is nowhere near as bad as Richard Cloutier on Hockey Buzz. That guy is a complete and total hack.

#64 gcw_rocks
April 20 2013, 11:29AM

That was the problem with firing Tambo when they did. With Tambo around they could tank, blame it on him and fire him at the end of the season. New era dawns.

But, but kicking off the new era during the season, tanking sets the wrong tone for the new era, which should be about winning.

Let, it is in the franchise's best long term interest at this point to get Barkov or MacKinnon if he falls.

I hope rubbing Tambo's nose in it by promoting MacT four years to the day he "left" was worth it...

#65 Rama Lama
April 20 2013, 11:39AM
gcw_rocks wrote:

I was probably the hardest on Tambo.........mainly because I hate indecisive people and Tamby fit that narrative perfectly. All I can say is that he is gone so I will try and leave him alone.

As for where we want to finish, if the Oilers are serious on improving without having to trade important assets, we need to finish the last five games with a losing record. Getting Barkov would take a little heat off Mac T having to find a second line centre with size........almost an impossible task. It would then give us an opportunity to trade Gags for a first round draft choice that we could convert with other assets to get Valarie Nichuskin.........Yaks needs some Russian company.

After that we could brind in a free agent here or there to round out the roster and totally fix the bottom six. No more Smithsons, Belengers, Horcoffs, Petrelles, in other words guys who no one else wants.

#66 jonrmcleod
April 20 2013, 12:04PM

@Rama Lama

"I know that there are Horcoff fans out there but eveytime I watch the guy he is usually coughing up the puck ..........exactly what role does this guy perform?"

A defense of Horcoff could begin with the Oilers' record while he was injured earlier this season.

#67 Bucknuck
April 20 2013, 12:04PM

Not that he didn't deserve it, but I almost feel bad for ol' Tom. I haven't seen someone get roasted alive like that in a long time. His comments were so out of line that even Quicksilver and DSF steered clear. Good for the nation, rising up in defiance to protect Lowetide. It makes me proud to be a part of it.

In other news, that article about Ralph's system being at fault for some of the Oilers troubles was intriguing. I admit I don't really understand what he is talking about, but that doesn't mean he isn't correct. Lowetide, what do you make of it?

#68 tileguy
April 20 2013, 12:06PM
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

Katz'

Really? How come? Thanking you in advance.

Let us all hope the cheque book is wide open this summer and we can dismiss this asinine notion of loosing 5-4 every night. You do not tell a team to loose.

#69 jonrmcleod
April 20 2013, 12:20PM

@tileguy

I personally believe it's Katz's.

#70 Light, Sweet, Crude
April 20 2013, 12:20PM

My favorite part was when DSF stuck-up for LT.

#71 Romulus' Apotheosis
April 20 2013, 12:34PM
tileguy wrote:

Really? How come? Thanking you in advance.

Style Guides differ on the matter of possessives and words ending with "s" sounds (this includes words ending in "z").

"Davis' Bar"

or

"Davis's Bar"

are both "correct."

... depending, that is, on which style you conform to, whether you remain consistent in its use and whether that is the style your publication prefers.

The same rule applies to "z."

"Katz' Team"

or

"Katz's Team"

Both OK.

(really it's a matter of preference, I prefer the sleeker version).

The same style problem exists with diaeresis/trema marks.

If you read a lot of critical magazines (Atlantic, New Yorker, etc.), you'll find that they all set different in-house style guidelines:

Some, for example, will use "cooperate," others "co-operate" and still others “coöperate.”

All are "correct."

ps. are you sure you want to "lose" Barkov? :)

#72 tileguy
April 20 2013, 12:45PM

Thank you R A. (big smile, lol)

Integrity please, can you imagine the scandal and shame upon the NHL if Hemsky after being traded to Nashville even though he was promised he wouldn't be traded leaked out than management told the players to looses. Than just does not happen and also against the bylaws of the NHL. You never ever try to loose, tinkering with your lineup is different.

#73 CJ
April 20 2013, 01:08PM
Tom wrote:

He's definitely not DSF, otherwise he would have used a small sample sized statistic to prove he was correct.

#74 Dog Train
April 20 2013, 01:13PM

For me it's more about how we play then the result. I don't want to win games where we don't play particularly well. If we are full marks for our wins, then great. If we deserve to lose, then changes need to be made. I am sick of losing but I am even more sick of deserving to lose.

#75 DigDeepNBleedBlue
April 20 2013, 01:20PM

@Bucknuck

This is the type of coaching decisions Krueger makes: Play a career left winger at center and a career centerman on the wing. It's becoming funnier by the day.

Last night Horcoff took 8 draws and only won one while Gagner took 19 draws and won five. Not the greatest stats to support my argument, but Horcoff this season sits at 50% and Gagner at 43.2%.

After watching Krueger decisions this year I, myself, need some motivational speaking. Too soon?

#76 Crispy
April 20 2013, 01:28PM
Numenius wrote:

So you believe that a 5 game winning streak, which still results in us missing the playoffs, is more valuable to the team than acquiring a potential star Center with size grit and skill? You know we have been needing that exact type of player for many years now right?. Winning meaningless games to me is, well.... Meaningless! All that matters now is getting the best possible roster for next year, and our Roster would look much nicer with Barkov rather than Lazar.

#77 Crispy
April 20 2013, 01:33PM

Wow, can't believe this thread has broken down into bickering over grammar. Thanks Tom! Who care's about grammer and speling, seriously?

#78 DigDeepNBleedBlue
April 20 2013, 01:33PM
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

First,

C'mon guys, let's move along here.

Second,

Zona's recent article is the main point people are circling around re: RK

I never read the article. But, I do have my own reservations about Krueger.

#79 Citizen David
April 20 2013, 01:40PM
Crispy wrote:

I think we should temper our expectations of Barkov. I don't think he'll be at the level of the three first overalls and probably not at Mackinnon's level either. His stats are fairly comparable to what Grandlund put up so I'm guessing Barkov will be a good second line center with size. I have no idea what his defensive game is like or if he actually uses his size. Dustin Penner was a lot bigger than Barkov, and put up nice points but fans didn't like him.

#80 Matt
April 20 2013, 01:41PM
Tom wrote:

I know you've already been "called out", but:

Well, not good. Than, not then.

Placing a period outside of a quotation mark is a matter of context and stylistic preference.

#81 jason
April 20 2013, 01:48PM
Numenius wrote:

i ask anyone to provide me withe examples of teams who have had meaningless late season pushes that have carried over into the next season, i really have a hard time thinking of any. is losing the next 5 games going to be anymore devastating to the young oilers, than the way the season has turned out already? look winning or losing meangless games has no effect one way or the other, winning meaningful games next year and getting into the playoffs will have a positive effect on the oilers. in the mean time they should help management plug the many holes on the roster, by tanking the rest of the season and securing a top five pick.

#82 tileguy
April 20 2013, 01:55PM
Matt wrote:

I know you've already been "called out", but:

Well, not good. Than, not then.

Nice work Matt, too true. I haven't smiled so much reading a ON thread like I have today since..... well, since the last time the Oilers were in a playoff position.

#83 Lochenzo
April 20 2013, 01:56PM

Sasha Barkov looks good in Oiler colours.

#84 Quicksilver ballet
April 20 2013, 03:10PM

6'2" 209lbs, good size, but he has never had more than the minimalist of penalty minutes. Doesn't appear to be much backbone to his game yet for a kid his size.

Another soft Euro kid who'll need protecting, just sayin. Rather have MacKinnon. Man it really sucks to not have a top 3 pick. Big difference from the top 3, and the next 3 it appears.

#85 Rama Lama
April 20 2013, 03:19PM
jonrmcleod wrote:

What would his record be during our 6 game losing streak?

#86 15w40
April 20 2013, 04:20PM

So again pure what if here - what if the Oilers plummet to #3 or #4 in the draft and actually win the darn lottery again.

Then what do you do - take the pick - and if so who?

Or if you were planning on a 5 to 7th pick anyway and you can get a good roster player in a trade and still pick from 5 to 7th do you do that instead??

#87 Phil
April 20 2013, 05:34PM

Lowetide,

I was thinking about the Oilers shoring up on size and skill in the bottom six for next season. I was wondering what you might think of the possible additions of either Dwight King, Brian Boyle, or both?

Dwight King is a younger guy (23) and is massive. He has proven over the last two seasons that he is a top 9 player and I think would add some serious size to a lacking third string.

Boyle is a do-it-all grinder. Wins faceoffs, puts up decent points, and also has some good size. Contract is comparable to Belanger so I think he would look good on the 4th line with hartikainen and Brown in a serious energy line.

Let me know what you think!

#88 book¡e
April 20 2013, 05:49PM

I want to return to the spelling thing, because Tom has totally nailed something that has bothered me for a long time. Some of LT's spelling is simply unbelievably atrocious.

For example, he always used to misspell Pouliot as S-M-I-D and then he would misspell Smid as P-O-U-L-I-O-T as in "The Oilers have a real player in Pouliot, but they should trade this Smid guy and get something for him while they can".

He is still doing stuff like this. In todays article for example there are so many spelling and grammar mistakes that if you don't read it carefully, you might think LT wants the Oilers to WIN games, when clearly what he means to say is that the only logical thing to do is to lose games.

Seriously, this is like grade 2 English stuff here and I expect better.

#89 madjam
April 20 2013, 06:07PM

Paajarvi looks like a lock for top nine . Horcoff losing a step and value as well .Bottom six possibles as acquisitions : B.Sutter $2.067 ,Talbot 1.75 ,Dupuis 1.5 ,Orr 1.0 ,Parros .937 ,Boll 1.05, Henrique .854 Wilson 2.0 ,Yip .750 , Fiddler 1.8 , Nystrom 1.4 ,Sobotka 1.3 Ponikarowski 1.8 , and several defenceman from .87 -2.75 . Defence has the likes of Franson , Alzner , Bogozian , Morris ,Sbisca, Del Zotto , Stralman , McDonagh ,etc.. All with good contract amounts .

To be honest there is a lot of reasonable contracts out there of personnel that could definitely make our core bigger , grittier and more skilled at a cost lower than what we are paying now . Why chase bad contracts when it appears one does not have to . Lower the risk while guaranteeing more" bang for the buck " and team . Slight risk in dealing possible first round pick this season . Our team should look much different from next years core , and I am looking forward to that newness .

#90 Walter Sobchak
April 20 2013, 06:52PM

Jari Kurri On Barkov.

For those who have not had the chance to read this.

The Edmonton Oilers almost surely would take Finnish centre Aleksander Barkov with the first pick in the NHL entry draft, but they have to get in the top five to do so. He’s big at six-foot-three and 205 pounds, has skill and he’s just 17, but he’s played in the Finnish Elite League for two years and has 48 points in 53 games in Tampere. “Plays a 200-foot foot game, up and back. Plays like (Mikko) Koivu,” said former Oilers star winger Jari Kurri, general manager of the Finnish national team. “Yeah, I like him.”

That's some pretty big praise right there, Barkov is not soft.

I apologize in advance for the music not my choice, but check out where he is scoring the goals his from.

The Oiler's need this kid in the worst way, IMO if he was in the CHL, he might be number 1.

#91 Citizen David
April 20 2013, 07:03PM
Walter Sobchak wrote:

Jari Kurri On Barkov.

For those who have not had the chance to read this.

That's some pretty big praise right there, Barkov is not soft.

That's good to know he plays a 200 foot game. I still think we shouldn't expect him to be a superstar like our number 1's. If we get him, great our one two center punch should be very good down the road. But I don't think he'll be amazing. If we end up getting Lindholm or Monahan I do 't think we should be super crushed. Impossible to tell now which of those three will be the best. Mackinnon will be better than all three of them though.

#92 Saytalk
April 20 2013, 07:22PM

I am an Oilers fan and I cheer for them to win each and every game.

I was against tanking last year for Yakupov, the year before for Nuge, and the year before that for Hall. Not only is it poor sportsmanship, but it really puts your loyalty as a fan of the team in question when you're hoping they lose just so that they can get a hyped-up shiny new prospect. If that prospect is really so important, the GM can trade up to get him, and if not, well then pick the next best guy, but c'mon if picking a blue-chip prospect every year is the only way this team knows how to acquire NHL players, then this team will be tanking for 18 straight years to build their roster.

I get the sense that some of the posters here aren't Oilers fans but just armchair GM's who like shiny new things.

#93 Håvard
April 20 2013, 07:42PM

Girl?

#94 Saytalk
April 20 2013, 08:13PM

Monica Bellucci (and yeah, I don't get the whole ketchup on spaghetti thing either).

#95 Walter Sobchak
April 20 2013, 09:05PM
Citizen David wrote:

Obvously I take Mackinnon over everyone including Jones.

I take Mackinnon - Barkov - Monahan and then Nichushkin in that order.

Lindholm to me is a wasted pick, I feel that the Oilers already have to many of this type of player.

I think the Oilers should be compelled to move up in the draft and take Barkov.

If Barkov goes to another team, then the Oilers let a big, strong and skilled two way player get away.

Trading for this type of player means Serious assets in the future to obtian a player like this.

#96 Reg Dunlop
April 20 2013, 11:14PM

While it doesn't always translate into a great career, the Calder trophy for top rook is RARELY won by a first overall. Occasionally, first overalls are a bust. It is as if the hockey Gods are smiting the team picking first, especially if the smell of tank is in the air. The oil have to compete as professionals and true hockey fans have to cheer victories and bemoan loses lest the hockey Gods pass judgement on their team. Barkov a bust? Who knows. Lets cheer on the oil and let the draft unfold. Win them all, finish ahead of the phlegms and just wait till next year!

#97 BroncoBilly
April 21 2013, 12:59AM

Kreuger's comments are those of a desperate coach trying to save his ass. Better to remain silent and be thot a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. Hopefully stupid statements like his are ignored by MacT and he moves to better the team when they have obvious shortcomings in the lineup.

Haven't we had enough proof this week that not all that can be said...should be said. Right KLowe?

#98 pelhem grenville
April 21 2013, 08:34AM

"...If they lose the games fair and square, so be it..."

LT...Anaheim twice...Chicago...Minny and Vancouver? this has the appearance of "tank" all over it!

...as for your yet again awesome selection for art in the what does it all mean section...coulda sworn you chose a picture of Nigella Lawson eating ketchup drenched spaghetti dressed in that slithery red frock that Jill Hennessey has worn a number of times on this website...with enough digging through google images i have found that your taste in brunettes is stellar as always and am now wondering if Diane Lane knows of your lusting for Monica Belluci...as always many thanks

#99 Pucker - B class