THE WAY I SEE IT

Robin Brownlee
April 22 2013 11:41PM

If the Oil Change folks put a soundtrack to a hockey season that's quickly turned into a bowel movement pie in the face for fans of the Edmonton Oilers, it should be kazoos and whoopee cushions. This is something that stinks so bad, it's funny. Low-brow stuff.

Always a sucker for the for a cheap laugh – and it doesn't get any cheaper than fart humor and a load of crap upside the yap – watching the Oilers lurch and stagger toward the finish line of a lockout-shortened 48-game season has gone from so bad to even worse, you'd better try to laugh or you'll cry.

Many fans filing out of Rexall Place Monday after watching the Anaheim Ducks beat their team for fun likely don’t feel the same way, but how long can you yell down at the ice from the cheap seats or scream at the TV watching this sad-sack outfit without changing things up with a good belly laugh about the remarkable lameness of it all?

Or, like tonight, listening to a caller to the Jason Strudwick Show – that's a tough gig with as much of a farce as this season has become -- ask if the Oilers should get David Clarkson as a UFA. Sure, why not? I can’t imagine why Clarkson wouldn’t leave New Jersey and pass on 28 other teams sign with Edmonton as quickly as possible. Insert laugh track here . . .

Clarkson should ask Justin Schultz how great that would be.

MEA CULPA AND OTHER IDIOCY

. . . While I threw in enough qualifiers and caveats before suggesting I thought the Oilers would make the playoffs if everything fell their way, I can’t help but think that I fell down the stairs and hit my head without knowing it before doing so. Playoffs? Tsk.

Still, I wasn't concussed nearly as badly as Jason Gregor, who picked them sixth, but that's low-hanging fruit. That bit of optimism has to be the worst prediction, an NHL career for Jeff Deslauriers aside, I recall making. Then again, maybe not.

. . . Still with Clarkson because I know some pinhead will take Gregor's scenario about trading Yakupov for a signed Clarkson and a throw-in – "Hey, Brownlee, you fool, you wanted to make that trade" – and shove it at me, I'm a lot less sure about that than I was when I said I'd make the move.

Outside of Taylor Hall, I've liked Yakupov's game and his moxy more than any other Oiler down this horrid stretch. Kid looks like he cares, and that's a start. The talent, we know about. Not nearly enough give-a-damn from most of the line-up right now.

. . . I know Theo Peckham left himself wide open for trouble with Oiler brass and coach Ralph Krueger by showing up fat and blowing a terrific opportunity for a full-time gig in the third pairing, but the team has completely bungled how they've handled him since.

What's the point of having Peckham spend most of the season twisting in Edmonton rather than playing in the AHL or, what a concept, being given a chance to make amends by playing with this stellar blue line corps? Trade him. Demote him. Give him another chance. Whatever. But to let him twist? Low-class – and not a very smart move.

WHILE I'M AT IT

. . . Let the final game of this season be the last in which I lay my eyes on Eric Belanger and Jerred Smithson cloaked in Edmonton silks. Of course, it would have been nice to see Teemu Hartikainen and Anton Lander actually push one of them out of the line-up rather than get their breaks through injuries, but for the love of sanity, GM Craig MacTavish has to get them gone.

. . . Like I said earlier today (I'm not alone in this), you can bet the farm the Oilers will add another assistant to Krueger's coaching staff for next season. I'd expect it'll be a career coach, rather than a former player, to complement Steve Smith and Kelly Buchberger.

A lot of fans keep bringing up Lindy Ruff or Dave Tippett, but you can file that in the same category as Clarkson. Is there one reason why respected and accomplished head coaches like Ruff or Tippett would even cast a sideways glance at Edmonton for any kind of coaching gig? No chance. None.

. . . Go ahead, pull my finger.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#51 Harlie
April 23 2013, 09:46AM

Oilchange 2013 ending credits..

#52 G Money
April 23 2013, 09:56AM

Agree with most of your points, and "bowel movement pie in the face" is just brilliant.

But there are reasons why a Ruff or a Tippet would consider signing on. Here are 5: Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Jordan Eberle, Nail Yakupov, Justin Schultz.

While it's fun to give in to the bitterness and melancholy of yet another year of suckage, lets remember that this years suckage is a fully reversed mirror image of the last 20 years of suckage.

For years we had a great supporting cast and no top-end skill.

Now we have boatloads of top-end skill but no supporting cast.

It is easier to fix the latter than the former.

MacT: go.

#53 EP
April 23 2013, 09:57AM

This sums it up for me...

#54 Smokey
April 23 2013, 09:59AM
Rob... wrote:

One other thing about yesterday's game. I saw the Dvorak interview and couldn't help but notice his dilated pupils. Was the interview actually taped right after the whistle ending the period and shown later on in the intermission or was this guy on something?

Probably was drinking Oiler blood

#55 Smokey
April 23 2013, 10:06AM
Will wrote:

I'm trying to keep things in perspective by comparing the Oiler's to some other teams around the league. Teams like the Rangers who are clinging to a playoff spot, or teams like Detroit who kick the crap out of us, yet might be on the outside looking in. And finally Colorardo. Colorado has these big top six, two way forwards in Landeskog, and O'Reily, and look how well they are doing. I mean, we look at our team and say we need to flush the bottom six, get two top 2 d men, a back up goalie and size in our top six. But if that's the case for us, what the hell would a team like Colorado need to turn it around, and why is a team like the Rangers, arguably the exact make up everyone is crying for, just barely making the play offs?

I don't really know what the answer is. I kind of hate to say it cause I like the guy but I think the issue this year may have been Krueger. I'm no coach so commenting like I know what I'm talking about would be stupid, but I am just finding it hard to come up with another explanation for the team's performance, when you look around the league at the make up of other teams and how they are doing.

I'd go with the New York Islanders method, let the kids sink or swim. Dump your vets, I think you buy out Belanger and Horcoff, and play the kids. I'd love to see an Arcobello, Rajala, Pitlick 4th line, they would be no worse then what we got. Bring in hungry players, sign waiver wire pick ups and castoffs for peanuts. Bring in a coach from OKC and let the kids play.

#56 OILERSORDEATH
April 23 2013, 10:07AM

Just plain sad, did anyone read what Matthew Barry said abou the Oiler?

Here it is: They need to look inside, to see what's missing" - Oilers coach Ralph Krueger

Way to fold like origami.

Two games vs the Ducks where they were about as good on their skates as Tonya Harding in the Olympics.

At least Calgary has some pride.

Even Colorado is enjoying playing spoiler.

1 win in 9 games.

That's HEART. That's DEDICATION. That's LEARNING.

That's a locker room that's smellier than Sidney Crosby's disgusting jock strap.

In their last 8 losses, they've scored more than 1 goal just ONCE!

THIS team?

The Oilers can rack up the high draft picks but when they draft robots instead of players with heart, the result is always going to be the same. With McTavich and Howson on board? Well, lets just say there won't be any worry about playing the Oilers for the next 5 years.

I have never witnesses such a lifeless hockey team in my life.

Oiler fans should be ashamed of the effort your boys put out against the Ducks these last 2 nights

#57 Bubba
April 23 2013, 10:13AM

The ones I actually feel sorry for are the reporters who have covered this crap for the past 7 years. Must be exhausting rehashing the same story year after year. Follow that up with a forced dose of watching this team and it would be enough to request to cover Canadian Figure skating.

#58 vetinari
April 23 2013, 10:21AM

Watching the 2007-2013 Oiler teams is a lot like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer... it just feels so good when you stop!

Seriously, I rarely miss games on tv but I've passed on the last four or five and have been spared the carnage of watching NHL teams kick around our blended ECHL/AHL team (you know the one, right? -- The one that lost to the Abbottsford Heat a little while back.) Thankfully this mess ends after only 48 games.

So, who is everyone's "B" team going into the playoffs? I'm pulling for the Blue Jackets to sneak in and do some damage since they had the common sense to finally turf Howson this year.

Also, I'd like to see the Islanders make the post-season party as a testament to teams that can insanely bungle their way through mismanagement and still make the post-season (unlike Tambellini's brand of mismanagement that guarantees absolutely no playoff appearances).

#59 Lochenzo
April 23 2013, 10:32AM

I am less concerned about size than I am about the centre position. The Oil need an established 2-way centre that can win draws, play well defensively, yet complement an offensive dynamo like Yakupov or Hall. Don't need to be an offensive catalyst when you have one of those two on your wing.

Bozak? Maybe Weiss? Those will be expensive signings for sure.

Shore up the 5/6 pairings. Or add that #1 Dman and shift everyone else down.

This is how you control the middle of the ice. The Oilers were terrible in this regard this year and it shows in the standings.

#60 madjam
April 23 2013, 10:45AM

The only problem we have is winning ! Now the corks off the bottle with the GM gone , maybe it's time to waffle in the ambience ? What odour is it now ?

#61 Ducey
April 23 2013, 10:52AM

I refuse the get pulled down into Brownlee's world where seldom a positive word is issued.

Hope will spring anew at the draft and next fall. Players will be stronger and a year wiser and Nuge will be bionic.

Good news tonight is the Calgary Nashville game. Someone HAS to win that game.

A Nashville OT win would put Nash in a tie with EDM and put the Flamers up by two (an insurmountable lead).

Go Preds!

#62 StHenriOilBomb
April 23 2013, 11:04AM
OILERSORDEATH wrote:

Just plain sad, did anyone read what Matthew Barry said abou the Oiler?

Way to fold like origami.

At least Calgary has some pride.

Even Colorado is enjoying playing spoiler.

1 win in 9 games.

That's HEART. That's DEDICATION. That's LEARNING.

In their last 8 losses, they've scored more than 1 goal just ONCE!

THIS team?

I have never witnesses such a lifeless hockey team in my life.

sorry, who of the high draft picks played like robots this past week? Hall? Yak? Surely not Nuge, as he's been out... Ebs was a lower pick, Paajarvi has looked pretty good...

i think it's the lower picks and middling guys who have been mailing it in. Ebs included.

#63 nunyour
April 23 2013, 11:07AM

The oilers could get ride of all the vets and no one would notice,habby,whitney,smitty,horcoff,hemsky,belanger,i think they need to change out the losing culture,as it must be hard mentally for all these guys,possibly the assistant choaches too.

#64 Bucknuck
April 23 2013, 11:18AM

I think I'm done for the 2012-2013 season. I just can't take any more of this. Besides Yakupov and Hall, I'm not seeing a lot of compete from anyone. (EDIT - I have to give Pajaarvi credit, he's playing well too.) We deserve more than this.

#65 michael
April 23 2013, 11:18AM
Ducey wrote:

Good news tonight is the Calgary Nashville game. Someone HAS to win that game.

Go Preds!

The lod 3 point ame is what were hoping for here boys. The game of the night is Winnipeg vs Washington. That will be a blood bath of epic proportions. The Ranger game will be a SO also. The playoff implications tonight will be huge.The draft even higher. Other than Colorado and Florida as locks for the 1-2 spot in the draft the rest are of the positions are fluid. The Oil could end anywhere from 24th-28th. With the first pick in this years 2013 entry draft the Oilers choose Seth Jones. MacT has the luck.Bet on it.

Are the Leas for real? Ottawa? Montreal? Vancouver is one and done. You think we have issues in Oilers Nation.How would you like to be a Flyer fan? Brutal. Capped out. And they get the pleasure of Bryzgalov for another gazillion years. meanwhile in Columbus Bobrovsky is on his way to Vezina win and the playoffs.the Van Riemsdyke deal looks sooo bad. Boston's last kick at the can before cap issues come to bite them in the ass.They need to get cheaper fast.Chara for a package of picks and prospects? Time to cash out on a depleting asset? hmmm.

#66 Harlie
April 23 2013, 11:30AM

Damn, first Seguin with a twitter foul and now Yak?

#67 Harlie
April 23 2013, 11:32AM
madjam wrote:

the Corpse Flower odor

#68 Bucknuck
April 23 2013, 11:37AM
EP wrote:

This sums it up for me...

Nice one, but this is more how I feel, switch out "Linda" for "Tambo" and carry on...

#69 Where's the coaching
April 23 2013, 11:58AM

The assistant coaches have got to go. We are the absolute worst defensive zone team I have ever seen. How hard is it to play man on man in the d-zone and stick to your guy. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen the D lose their man in front of the net, only to see the other team have an open, tap in for birdy shot. Either the message is wrong, or it is not getting through. It's time this circus gets some new clowns. The old ones are wearing out.

#70 I can't beleive that we r still worse than Calgary !!!
April 23 2013, 12:06PM

Can someone please teach Dubnyk rebound control ? Why does he consistently kick out the rebounds 10-15 feet, right into the kill zone. Someone should whisper the truth in his ear. " your D men are weak. You better not give up a rebound or the puck will end up in the back of your net".

#71 DCC
April 23 2013, 12:10PM
Crispy wrote:

Relax people, the final tank job is nearly complete! I can't see this happening next year.

Said every Oiler fan in April 2012

#72 ed in edmonton
April 23 2013, 12:25PM
Bubba wrote:

At least they don't have to pay to watch.

#73 Pucker - B class
April 23 2013, 12:26PM
I can't beleive that we r still worse than Calgary !!! wrote:

That was a frustration but can you imagine the pressure on an Oiler goalie?? If they let in a goal, the games is likely lost.

Katz - I know you read ON. Is this really something you want your name associated with? You can fix it.

#74 mr_nihilism
April 23 2013, 12:26PM

I knew better than to even bother watching the last two games. Just couldn't bring myself to care.

I see no reason to until MacT delivers on changing the DNA of this team.

#75 DieHard
April 23 2013, 01:15PM

The turn-around begins next year and will be awesome. You can tell because all the negative that exists today can't get any worse.

The old boys must be gone. Horcoff must be bought out this June. He simply must. Smyth must retire or be 14th forward only. Hemsky can stay and resign after next year for cheap and play 3rd line (unless traded for something other than a bag of pucks). The usual players everyone is talking about should not be back.

Big trade should be (hate to say it) Eberle as he would bring back a good young D-man.

#76 Milli
April 23 2013, 05:25PM
Mike Krushelnyski wrote:

I think I'm just going to become a fan of whatever team Taylor Hall eventually demands a trade to. Who's with me?

I was thinking the exact same thing! Can you imagine how frustrating it must be to go out every game every shift and play your a$$ of, then look around........

#77 Peter
April 23 2013, 06:19PM

Interesting comments from Gagner as Tencer interviews him. Too bad the Oilers site cut most of this out, hits too close to home I guess. Tencer said Gagner was seething last night about continually losing, and you can certainly hear the frustration in his voice as he tries to measure out his words.

#78 madjam
April 24 2013, 07:47AM

We have become "The Never Ending Story " .