THE RISE OF STREAKCRED

Wanye
April 29 2013 04:03PM

Have you received positive reviews at work lately? Perhaps a supervisor or boss commended you for "excellent use of time around the office" or a "focus on efficiency?" Well throw that attitude out the window friends. It's time to waste some time during the playoffs. Some serious time. I'm talkin' bout StreakCred - the Nation Network Playoff Game.

Curious? Of course you are. Who wants to climb the corporate ladder anyway? AMIRITE?*

WHATS STREAKCRED?

Since 2009 the Nation Network has been operating hockey drafts for some of Alberta's leading pub and restaurant chains - running 7 drafts and processing over 100,000 team entries. In January 2013 we opened this game up to a pay-to-play online version with sweet prizes and we raised over $3,800 for Edmonton Charities.

But something was missing. Buddies who played the game reported back "yeah Wanye it was fun to make my team. But now all I do is sit back and watch Brooks Laich be injured and week by week the thing gets less exciting**"

So we went back to the drawing board and the boys at Nation HQ have been working feverishly to develop StreakCred. It's a playoff picking game where you select the winner in as many or as few games per night for the entire 2013 playoffs.

The longest streak of correct games picked in a row wins prizes. Big prizes. And there are additional prizes for correctly predicting the most correct games as well.

We tested it out with the boys the last week of the season and we already curse the very air around us for our stupidity. It's SUPER fun.

WHY YOU SHOULD PLAY STREAKCRED

We can hear people now. "But Wanye, why should I play StreakCred? I have a perfectly good Sega Genesis at home I rarely use. If anything I should play that thing."

Wrong. There are two big reasons - other than "having fun" and "avoiding real work" - that should tip the scales and have you running to the StreakCred website.

PRIZES

The prizes you can win are awesome. They are global prizes first of all meaning we can fulfill them anywhere around the world and so entries are open to the entirety of planet Earth. Secondly, the prizes themselves are sick. How does a first place prize of a trip for two to Oktoberfest in Germany sound? I KNOW RITE? How about a "big screen tele-vision?"

And we have lots more including piles of Visa Prepaid Credit Cards, iTunes Cards and all sorts of other goodies that we will confirm once the first week of entries have closed. The aim of the game is to ship as many prizes as we can all around this blue marble we call home.

CHARITY

As part of our Nation Network annual goal of donating $200,000 for charities annually, we are expecting to donate a substantial sum of money to 2 deserving organizations from the 2013 Playoff StreakCred Game.

In this instance it is the MS Bike Tour and the Edmonton Down Syndrome Society. Both are excellent causes who need love and the idea of hockey fans around the world supporting this Edmonton cause is sweet.

Super sweet.

IM SOLD WHAT DO I DO NEXT?

Kick on over to the StreakCred website, fork over $20 of your hard earned dollars and get ready to Facebook your Grade 8 girlfriend who told you that you weren't cool enough. The cool train is about to depart.

Entries don't close off till the start of the Finals, but the sooner you join the sooner you can start winning. We are already leading despite the fact the playoffs haven't started yet.***

*I am indeed "rite"

** Game experience as reported by an anonymous player we will call W. Gretz. No wait, WG. Yeah, that works.

*** Totally.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 Will
April 29 2013, 04:14PM

Lets go Columbus!!!!!

Oh sorry I'm going off of teams DSF said would definitely make the playoffs.

#2 Kent Wilson
April 29 2013, 04:16PM

Check the prizes page. I can only assume Wanye has somehow stolen all of these things.

#3 Quicksilver ballet
April 29 2013, 06:45PM

Who are the Flames matched up against? Haven't seen the western conference matches yet. Word to the wise, load up this years Cinderella Flames!

[Edit] Can't seem to find them in the West, is it possible they're in the east now?

#4 A-Mc
April 29 2013, 04:11PM

dude that sounds sweet!

super sweet

SIGNED UP! AND I'M ALREADY TIED FOR 1ST PLACE!

#5 Matt Henderson
April 29 2013, 04:14PM

But will it be better than Street Countdown?

#6 A-Mc
April 29 2013, 04:18PM
Kent Wilson wrote:

The prepaid visa's were likely burned up in '09... *shifty eyes*

#7 A-Mc
April 29 2013, 04:23PM

Question: So if you Skip a game, does that break your streak?

ie: if i have a 5 game pick streak going and i go away on vacation, i can leave my picks on "Skip" until i come back and i'll maintain my 5 gamer?

#8 Kent Wilson
April 29 2013, 04:33PM

@A-Mc

Nope. "You may choose to participate in as many games as you want".

#10 SmellOfVictory
April 29 2013, 06:11PM

That Brooks Laich comment reopened old wounds. Ooooh.

On a sidenote, though, I will say I really like the way the other NationDrafts have operated, and hope you'll maintain that format in addition to this other business.

#11 Kent Wilson
April 29 2013, 07:13PM

Already made my first two picks for tomorrow.

#12 SmellOfVictory
April 29 2013, 07:19PM
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

I think their first playoff matchup is the Oilers this year.

#13 Mark-LW
April 30 2013, 07:31AM

Just signed up. Tencer's Feminine Fingers going to Germany

#14 The Keystone Garter
May 02 2013, 01:09PM

Frig, I thought I bet on Jesus, not Jeh-zoose. Betting on sports is like being a Party Member in a civil war. I love watching history and doing my patriotic duty.

#15 The Keystone Garter
May 02 2013, 01:33PM

I played kick ball with a tennis ball into a fence on pavement, in Grade School. We had two, dots for penalties, one for good players and majors, one for minors and bad players. Soccer needs three dots. The home team could decide which side for minors, and that would be home field advantage. The minor penalties would be about NHL penatly shot scoring frequency. Not my fault is no TV Europe hockey or Jets...