OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD

Robin Brownlee
May 01 2013 11:16PM

You don’t have to look very far in any aspect of life to understand old sayings like "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" or "one man's junk is another man's treasure" ring true. People paying for tickets to cheer for the Edmonton Oilers, like those who get into Rexall Place via the pass door, aren't exempt.

Lots of proof regarding that in the reactions we had to the piece we ran here a couple of days back after writers at this website were asked to pick their award winners for this season. MVP? Easy. Best forward? Geez, tough call there, too. That would be Taylor Hall, two times.

How about goat of the year? The way I see it, that's not nearly as easy to pin down and define, mainly because of different expectations people, including writers here, had going into this season. What's the measuring stick?

I'm speaking specifically, of course, about my selection of Jeff Petry as goat of the year and the reaction to it by readers – one or two agreed with me Petry hadn't been easy on the eyes but many more disagreed vehemently. I have no real issue with that – anonymous name-callers aside -- because that's part of the gig when you're paid to give your opinion.

FROM WHERE I SIT

I based my selection of Petry on the expectations I had of him going into this season. Simply put, a player I expected little from wasn't going to be my goat, which eliminated a handful of roster filler right off the hop. I simply can't get worked up either way about Lennart Petrell.

Now, whether my expectations of Petry were reasonable based on what I saw from him in 2011-12 are certainly up to debate. That's fair. As a reference and for context, here's what I wrote about Petry back on Jan. 21. Suffice to say, I thought – and still do despite what I consider a so-so season – Petry can be a very good player in the NHL for a long time.

Lots of players had worse seasons than Petry – Ryan Whitney, Eric Belanger and Ryan Smyth, to name just three. The thing is, while I was all over the Whitney-for-Lubomir Visnovsky trade when it was made, I didn’t know what to expect from him this season, given his injury problems. Belanger? Seemed pretty clear after last season he wasn't happy here and didn’t much care to help the kids along in the rebuild. He lived down to that expectation. Smyth? Mad respect for No. 94, but it was clear to me – you can look it up – he came into this season as a waning asset. Didn't expect much of any of them.

Petry, who came on like gangbusters last season, is a different matter. Yes, he logged a lot of tough minutes. He played in a lot of situations on a paper-thin blueline corps. Fair comment. Worst guy back there? Not even close.

That said, I didn’t see a continuation of the development Petry showed last season. I expected him to be the Oilers best defenseman by a long, long shot, even allowing for the obvious offensive talent of Justin Schultz. I didn't see it, not in the context of how high he set the bar last season. Simple as that.

WHILE I'M AT IT

While others like Jason Strudwick and Jason Gregor have already taken a run at this, here's my two cents on who is likely on their way out of town, based on what new GM Craig MacTavish said in his season-ending address . . .

It doesn't take a vast intellect to know that Whitney and Theo Peckham are goners. Likewise, neither Darcy Hordichuk nor Ben (Not So) Eager aren't in the plans, and shouldn’t be. Jerred Smithson? He brought nothing. Belanger has been a bust on the ice and in the room. Adios. Easy pickings, this six.

After that? Smyth will remain an Oiler, as he should. I'm just not sure he'll wear a jersey, even if they have to cut it off his back. Organizational coach seems about right. Ryan Jones? Tough year with the eye injury. Still, gone. How about Nikolai Khabibulin? My guess is he stays.

Might Ales Hemsky or Magnus Paajarvi help acquire some of that meat MacTavish was talking about? Yes and yes. I'd also hope MacTavish makes a pitch for UFA David Clarkson, who is exactly what this team needs (along with a legit first-pairing defenseman).

While most of the six or seven prospects grouped behind Seth Jones look like solid kids who'll play in the NHL, I don’t see anybody past the top three in Central Scouting rankings who looks like a lock to be an elite player. If I was MacT, I'd have that No. 7 pick in play along with Hemsky and Paajarvi.

STREAKCRED

Sign up for StreakCred - the new playoff pool game from the Nation Network. For only $20 you can win solid prizes and a portion of the proceeds go to supporting the MS Bike Tour and the Edmonton Down Syndrome Society. Sign up here.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#1 Eddie Shore
May 01 2013, 11:40PM

Belanger deserves every ounce of criticism he receives. He has been awful since arriving in Edmonton. It's nearly impossible to explain how you go from a perennial 35 point guy to posting seasons of 16 and 3 points. I'll help pack his bags.

#2 Rob...
May 02 2013, 08:08AM

Hey Jasmine, I've got an idea. As Horcoff nears retirement, and with Belanger destined for unemployment, get the Oilers to hire me for 5 million a season as their perpetual goat. I will let fans, journalists and even public officials slander me all they want. I'll even set up a 1-800 number for people wanting to send me death threats. I will goad everyone through the media to ensure I am a lightning rod for all negativity directed towards the team. That way the precious players who either dog it, perform at a sub-AHL level, are perpetually injured, or get mired in unethical personal problems (that the media is obliged to elude to but never directly talk about) can continue to rake in the dough without a care in the world. Players will flock to Edmonton to play for the Oilers, knowing that they will be unencumbered by guilt, shame or any professional obligations whatsoever.

#3 Eddie Shore
May 01 2013, 11:33PM
Jasmine wrote:

Comments like you said Belanger isn't happy is why rumors start or players wanting out of Edmonton. That comment was uncalled for and unacceptable.

I'm starting to think Jasmine is a bot. How can you possibly say the EXACT same thing in every single comment?

#4 Johe
May 01 2013, 11:33PM

@Jasmine

Give it a rest.

#5 Fresh Mess
May 02 2013, 06:54AM
Eddie Shore wrote:

It amazes me how you guys keep amusing this dude with responses. Stop feeding the troll.

If the mods won't delete him then best to just ignore him.

#6 Sloppy Joe
May 02 2013, 08:03AM

My armchair GM instincts tell me to keep Paajarvi. Lowetide described it as "turning a corner this year, and I agree. He is looking like he will be a fine 2-way player with a long career. He doesn't crash and bang, but he skates like the wind and finally started driving the net this year. The puck moves in the right direction with him on the ice.

#7 Aspin
May 02 2013, 08:56AM

Brownlee, why would you want Paarajvi gone as part of a trade? He is one of the bigger bodies we have. He has speed and also has some offense. That is what we are looking for. He is starting to learn that role more and more.....to move him is going against what we are trying to do here.

Not sure why you are so hung up on Clarkson....if they have to overpay I would rather see them go after Nathan Horton who is a UFA, Brian Bickell, who is also a UFA, and potentially Vancouver will have to give up one of Kesler or Burrows to fit under the cap.

#8 Eulers
May 01 2013, 11:36PM

@Jasmine

Jasmine, If you are a woman, I salute you for contributing to the comments. These parts are very male-dominated and I appreciate your presence and voice. That being said, you are sounding like a broken record. I would encourage you to give Robin the benefit of a doubt: he doesn't wantonly criticize players and he certainly is not alone on this particular point.

Seriously though, naming a second year pro, who's got good upside but had a so so year playing against the toughest opposition on a thin thin blue line, goat of the year is more dramatic than reasonable.

Edit: Meant to say second year NHLer. Petry has played 156 NHL games. That's less than two full seasons.

#10 G
May 02 2013, 09:15AM
Jasmine wrote:

Uncalled for and unacceptable? Ok. How about this then: Belanger is no longer an effective NHL hockey player. In fact, he is absolutely terrible, with ZERO offensive input. Totally brutal in every single game he played.

#11 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
May 02 2013, 12:09PM
Jasmine wrote:

im surprised you crawled out from under KLowes desk long enough to type that whole post

#12 Jasmine
May 01 2013, 11:31PM

#13 Eulers
May 01 2013, 11:31PM

Kudos to you for defending your pick as a non-obvious selection. Still, I think treading water is a very satisfactory result for a D of his experience and pedigree. Disagree.

A simple "I meant to say Nick Schultz" would have been fine too, RB.

#15 Marty4Lyfe
May 01 2013, 11:37PM

Who would you consider the top 10 defencemen in the league today? And do you think Hemsky, Paajarvi and our first could land any of them?

#16 Marty4Lyfe
May 01 2013, 11:39PM
Bicepus Maximus - Peter, The Great. Potter, the Goat. wrote:

Second year pro? http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=94006

#17 Oilcan
May 01 2013, 11:56PM
Jasmine wrote:

Yes I am sure players read Oilers Nation....

Also it was a proven fact Belanger said that he didn't enjoy it here last year.

Lastly talk ACTUAL hockey just one time please, say something that contributes to an article instead of "Lowe doesn't deserve this" or "This is why players leave...."

#18 bwar
May 02 2013, 12:01AM

Unless you get exceptional value, I think that trading Paajarvi at this point is a mistake. He is slowly making his game a bit more physical as he matures and gets more comfortable being a full time NHLer.

As for Clarkson, I would be overjoyed if the Oilers managed to sign him. I suspect he is going to come with a fairly hefty pricetag which might not work out for the Oilers. If we still have Horcoff's salary against the cap next year I see no way that we sign any big name free agents.

#19 Bushed
May 02 2013, 12:01AM

I'd pick the Oilers organization as the goat this year.

Easy to blame Tambo (I've done it), but Lowe let him dither away the trade deadline without doing squat. MacT has even indicated that he saw problems with the team well before the deadline, so why wait to replace Dithers? If we had "management by neglect", and MacT could see it, why no action sooner?

As you point out, Robin, there were lots of obvious underachievers. Tough for Petry or other young players to swim against the tide of don't-give-a-crap surrounding him.

Not sure that RK's credibility in the room will survive this past year's disasters on the roster. Remember the "ice time as currency" and "accountability" stuff at the beginning of the season? Tough to back that stuff up when your GM does nothing to support you...

#20 J-Dogg
May 02 2013, 12:32AM

I really want our #7 pick to be used for a high quality player of immediate use to the team, so I'm not crazy about trading down.

Either try to trade up with a top 5 pick and take a guy like Barkov or McKinnon or package it and get us a high end D man.

No more 3 to 5 year waits for "maybe's" please.

#21 DonDon
May 02 2013, 12:35AM

"I'd pick the Oilers organization as the goat this year." Bushed, can't agree more:

Singularly, I would pick Horcoff as the goat. The Captain this truncated season turned into a floater, or a passenger on the bus. Hardly put any effort into his game, probably felt it was dangerous going into corners to retrieve pucks. Played it safe, let someone else do the dirty work. If anything, we can expect even less from him next season, particularly if the Oilers make the playoffs. No passion for the game, seemingly just for the paycheque. Certainly prime candidate for a buyout as besides the money he takes up a valuable slot on the team. Interesting to see how MacTavish deals with this.

#22 Death Metal Nightmare
May 02 2013, 12:46AM

a) agree on Petry. i dont know about the season goat but definitely showed some puke worthy plays and strangeness at times.

b) i actually like Paajarvi's game and where it was heading the second half of the season. if he does leave, the return for him and Hemsky + #7 better be pretty big.

c) Clarkson. R shooting RW to fill up what spot? maybe getting him via UFA - or - getting Steve Ott out of Buffalo via trade. or both.

d) maybe Bryan Bickell out of Chicago for a third/fourth line LW role. big body. 230-240 pounds. lots of hitting. UFA.

getting anyone in who is willing to Skate & Destroy is a plus.

#23 Walter Sobchak
May 02 2013, 01:04AM

From everything I've read the top 5 are of the elite variety.

From being a fan, to watching them closely, to my limited use of advance stats, the Oilers would be well advised to move up in the draft.

Unless anyone knows where to get an elite two way center on the cheap?

That leaves Gagner to use to secure a number one defenseman.

Gagner was my goat all year, this was suppose to be the year his game around, points are fine, but he got murdered all year long playing softer minutes and finished the year off terrible.

This team needs a bigger center and moving Gagner to the wing is just a lateral move and not actually fixing the problem.

#24 Quicksilver ballet
May 02 2013, 01:22AM

Fight like hell to get in that top 4 somewhere. Maybe the Preds would take Hemsky and the 7th for their 4th selection. Hemsky along with the rights to Ryan Whitney.

Have to believe the Oilers should be able to fetch a 3rd rounder from someone in exchange for Whitneys pre july 5th rights. Paajarvi had a decent 10 game stint halfway through the season but tailed off sharply again the final 15 games of the season. Get what you can for him asap.

Agree with Wes on Gagner. He has enough trouble getting around while playing in the middle, not much use moving him to the wing where you need quicker feet. Wonder what Tallon would need to flip our 7th for his second (MacKinnon).

#25 Mike
May 02 2013, 02:19AM

Trading down has not been good for the Oil. Trading down was not good for Prenderast's career or credibility. Enuf with the trading down already. No GM in this league is going to help the Oil. They'll trade with MacT alright but if I were Mac I'd at least like to be kissed before I get ******.

#26 NewAgeSys
May 02 2013, 05:28AM
DonDon wrote:

The system is the Goat,and K-Lowe represents that system,so its K-Lowe who is the goat to me,next time Mac-T opens his yap to plug Darkhorse he can slap himself on the ass and add his name to the top of the list.Live with this system and you go down with it,that ought to be crystal clear by now.

Horcoff has been waiting for the other shoe to drop for several years here.He is an asset but not in the role he has now.I always lumped him in with Iggy in the personality department,Vanilla.To top it off Horcoff is a bloody mental Maverick,he doesnt give everything EVER,he just paces himself,he is "hockey-wise"and high maintenance because of it.Mac-T was slapping a target on Horcs chest post season,didnt anyone see that?I felt his comments were fairly easy to interpret.All Mac-T has left to do is sit down and have a nice wee chat about"dem rabbits"and this pain in the ass era can end already.

#28 oliveoilers
May 02 2013, 07:03AM

I agree that Petry didn't have a stella year, but to me the article rang true except for one thing: I believe Ryan Whitney's name would be a better fit in this article!

That said, way to present your opinion and why you believe in it Rob!

#29 RyanCoke
May 02 2013, 07:20AM

My goat was RNH from the start of the year. He had a great rookie season and followed it up with a sub par performance. He should be making strides not skating backwards. If anyone had high expectations it was RNH and he didnt live up to them... GOAT

#30 Henry
May 02 2013, 07:30AM

Mr. Brownlee,

Given what you know about the room in the past and present and the maturation of players, do you think Mac should consider bringing Raffi back for 3LW?

#31 oilabroad
May 02 2013, 07:45AM

Robin, what have you heard that would make you think they are bringing back khabbi? MacT has stated that the goaltending needs to be better, so I am not sure where bringing back khabbi fits into this rhetoric... to me this sounded criptic for bringing in a true number 1

#32 madjam
May 02 2013, 07:56AM

Should have been the veterans leading the rookies into playing at a higher level ! It did not happen , and the reverse was more evident . Too many players coming in here to ride the coat tails of the youngsters , and not contributing enough themselves to up the team level of play . In essence many were just seemingly floating .

Gagner and Smyth were praised for not floating and being a positive influence by MacT.. This is duly noted ! Non factors were prevalent and are now in process of being weeded out .

Incoming players have to realize their here to excel , not play tentative and soft to extend their careers . Too many in the past are playing like lampreys and sucking the blood and life out of the team and not reaching their expected potential . That has to change, instead of them waiting to up their level only if we are in the playoffs ! Many may have even forgotten how or incapable of getting that competitive edge again . Certainly showed that during the losing streak did it not , when it was most required ?

#33 pelhem grenville
May 02 2013, 08:05AM
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

Q...i'm thinkin'...the snow's almost all gone there ...did you go for a walk [hike] and realize it wasn't time for that yet?

further my friend ...are 'we' putting waaay too value on 83 in trade,ungrade,pick fishing scenerios these days...i have trouble with putting his name on any really important move for this team unless there's a prv and hartikanen tuebert sugar coating on it...and really ...which alternate Universe has A dALE tallon in it who would do that flip thingy you speak of ...

#34 Quicksilver ballet
May 02 2013, 08:35AM
pelhem grenville wrote:

Wishful thinking again. Doesn't have to be him, enter Hartinkainen,Lander,Paajarvi,Musil etc etc etc. I'm sure we're all use to the Oilers annual entry draft Bonanza sale by now. Maybe someones buying this summer hopefully.

Ales has to be getting close to Cujo/Whitney territory, the Oilers just letting them leave when their contract expires getting nothing in return. His cap space will come in handy, but his rep around the league must've caught up with him.

#35 pelhem grenville
May 02 2013, 08:35AM

@Rob....hmmm juicy unethical personal problems

...care to share? i won't tell a soul

#36 Truth
May 02 2013, 08:41AM

Belanger is the goat for me. In his 4 seasons prior to coming to Edmonton he averaged 38.5 pts/season. He scored 3 pts this season and 16 last season. I don't think any Oiler fan expected him to get a pro-rated 23 pts this season, but 3! After last season it was hard to expect anything from Belanger, but his past history would mean he should be a contributor.

Does he even get a contract offer after getting bought out in the off-season? I bet not. Not anyone with the ability to watch this seasons game tape, anyway.

#37 madjam
May 02 2013, 08:44AM

Hemsky of little value in a trade unless we eat part of his perceived exhorbitant contact of $5M , albeit only one more year . Unless he asks for a trade , I doubt they will move him before next trade deadline next year , where his contract will not be such an issue . Was he a non factor that was floating ? I'm not sold he was .

#38 Rob...
May 02 2013, 08:48AM
pelhem grenville wrote:

@Rob....hmmm juicy unethical personal problems

...care to share? i won't tell a soul

I don't have anything so far. But if they hire me for 5 million a season I will guarantee that the rumours involve at least one female news reporter, a walrus, gambling, and midgets. Just imagine what I'd do for 7 million a season.

#39 DonEnrico
May 02 2013, 08:49AM

@Rob...

"unethical personal problems" Hmm, since Hall and Eberle landed here in Sweden today, is there something you think I shall notify the the public about?...

Spring has arrived, and a lot of blonde swedish girls running around you know...

#40 pelhem grenville
May 02 2013, 08:50AM

...his [83] value [yes let's get what we can for him] imo only holds up if there's lots of others in a trade or aquisition by other means equation...seemingly covering up that 83 is part of a deal when there's a few prospects and or a pick brightening the view for the Tallons of the world...or any other GM with any smarts for that matter... ...i quite like the potential of Lander as the 4C of the next team that contends...thought that the harti boy might be further along in his appenticeship as the 'beast' we need but maybe not ...this team has so little time left to get it's poop together or it'll surely unravel...there's only so much stuff that doesn't happen before the youngins' start wanting out...i agree with you on that front and it's worrisome...

boldly bloody go MacT...

#41 Rama Lama
May 02 2013, 08:58AM

I will defend Schultz of the Nick variety.........played tough minutes , never complained..........not bad for a small defenseman.

Perect 3rd pairing guy and positive,..........a keeper.

Kevin Lowe should be the goat of the year........and deserves all the criticism for everything wrong with the Oilers. Big Egos usually lead to failure, and this is a perfect example.

#42 Rick
May 02 2013, 09:06AM

I think the 6 listed are no brainers but if MacT's summer primarily tasked with cycling out the six listed then I don't see where the improvement occurs.

5 of those guys had almost no role with the team this year as it was so I would equate moving those guys out to clearing space on the farm. Something that has become necessary but really has little bearing on helping the part of the organization that needs it most.

To further expand, none of those guys has any trade value so even if you buy them out, trade them for a later round pick or even just waive them as freebees, the best chance of improving is through the B list UFA's with an outside shot at getting lucky with a buy out or two from elsewhere.

The way I see it, the real work has to center around improving on the guys they have actually counted on but didn't get enough out of.

A combination out of the group of Hemsky, Horcoff, Smyth, Petrell, Jones, Petry as well of the guys that currently have value but are somewhat duplicated like Gagner and PRV.

Which was also touched on in the article.

#43 Ryan2
May 02 2013, 09:09AM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

I wasn't thrilled with Schultz, either.

I would have put Schultz ahead of Petry as goat of the year. Why did Tambi trade for him - calming influence, solid defence, supposedly physical, etc. He is none of that now. Watching him on the ice, he struggles with the speed of the game, is not big enough to play physical, and his defensive game is questionable. It reminds me of Jason Smith's last couple of seasons with the Oilers where he tried hard but the game had passed him by.......

That being said, based on the fact that none of the d-men improved their play over the season, and some, like Petry and Smid, regressed a bit, the goat horns should probably be placed on Steve Smith's head. As a coach, his job is to help the players to continuously improve, and I have not noticed much improvement over the two years he has been here. His predecessor, Huddy, seemed to do a better job.

Rama Lama wrote:

Perect 3rd pairing guy and positive,..........a keeper.

I think Potter and Fistric are better and more valuable than The Sh*tty Schultz.

Completely agree regarding big egos leading to failure though..... sucks for us, Oilers fans.

#45 Quicksilver ballet
May 02 2013, 09:43AM
Jasmine wrote:

That comment was uncalled for and unacceptable.

#46 Rama Lama
May 02 2013, 12:22PM
Rob... wrote:

Could I be your assistant?

Please abstain from feeding the troll.

#47 Yak Attack
May 02 2013, 12:48PM
cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan wrote:

She doesn't type, Cut and Paste !

#48 Jasmine
May 02 2013, 01:29PM

@G

That would make more sense than what the article mentioned of him wanting out.

I hate comments that say players wanting out with no proof.

#49 bdiddy18
May 02 2013, 01:48PM

Opens spots - are left for trades/signings (our own and UFA) and best performances in training camp - you want to see BOLD! try only 8 current roster players confirmed - the rest compete!

1) Hall Nuge Yakopov 2)Open Open Eberle 3) Open Horcoff Open 4)Open Open Open

1) Open - J. Shultz 2) Petry - Smid 3) Open - Open

No declaration of number one goalie but for now..

Dubnyk Open

For once in a very long time - YOU MUST PLAY YOUR WAY ON THIS TEAM - NO GUARANTEED SPOT PERIOD!

#50 pelhem grenville
May 02 2013, 02:32PM

Jasmine said : "I hate comments that say players wanting out with no proof."

...why is it that you get to come in here and hate...?