Every goal scored by Nail Yakupov in 2013

Jonathan Willis
May 12 2013 11:28AM

Nail Yakupov led the Oilers (as well as all NHL rookies) with 17 goals during the 2013 season. After the jump, where he shot from, how he beat the goalies, and video for every goal.

Shot Location/Destination

One thing Yakupov does very well is put himself into position to score. Every goal on the map above save the empty net goal (PP2, marked with an asterisk) comes from close to the net. As a left-handed shot, he has an advantage firing from the right wing because his stick is toward the net and that gives him a better angle and more options (there are downsides too, mostly on the breakout, but it’s a positive from a goal-scoring perspective).

Even strength goal number seven (a real beauty; if I had to pick just one of these to watch it would be that one) is an exception because the shot is coming from one side of the ice and picking the far side of the net ; in most of these Yakupov finds the gap between the goaltender and the near post.

Video: Even Strength

Even strength 1:

Even strength 2:

Even strength 3:

Even strength 4:

Even strength 5:

Even strength 6:

Even strength 7:

Even strength 8:

Even strength 9:

Even strength 10:

Even strength 11:

Video: Power Play

Power play 1:

Power play 2 (empty net):

Power play 3:

Power play 4:

Power play 5:

Power play 6:

STREAKCRED

Sign up for StreakCred - the new playoff pool game from the Nation Network. For only $20 you can win solid prizes and a portion of the proceeds go to supporting the MS Bike Tour and the Edmonton Down Syndrome Society. Sign up here.

Recently around the Nation Network

In light of Vancouver's first round exit, Jeff Angus has laid out the Top Five Trade Values on the Canucks. Here's how he describes the process:

What I am taking into account:
  • Age matters
  • Contracts matter
  • Position matters
Read on for the list, some honourable mentions, and a few other thoughts.

Click on the link above to read more, or check out some recent pieces here at Oilers Nation:

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
Jonathan Willis is a freelance writer. He currently works for Oilers Nation, the Edmonton Journal and Bleacher Report. He's co-written three books and worked for myriad websites, including Grantland, ESPN, The Score, and Hockey Prospectus. He was previously the founder and managing editor of Copper & Blue.
Avatar
#1 So not a Pouzar
May 12 2013, 11:51AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
14
cheers

This article will be especially long next year when you have to post 45 videos of the great YakCity lighting up the league and raising his fists in celly!

Avatar
#2 Spydyr
May 12 2013, 01:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
striatic wrote:

The Oilers could use all their cap space and their 7th OV to trade for a year of Henrik and Daniel Sedin.

Theoretically.

Why would you even consider that?

Avatar
#3 Spydyr
May 12 2013, 01:11PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
clyde wrote:

If you get a stud center, he needs to play with Eberle because I have a bet That Eberle ends up having a better career than Hall. anyone have any thoughts on this? To me Eberle has such a high hockey IQ and knack for scoring big goals. He also seems to be able to adapt to playing with a wide variety of linemates almost seemlessly.

Eberle without the puck is a very easy player to play against. Hall on the other hand, well ask Clutterbuck.

So, Hall is my guy.

Avatar
#4 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
May 12 2013, 07:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

War and Peace, once a week whether you need it or not.

It's always the same 26 letters over and over and over again, time for change NAS.

Avatar
#5 OilerFan4Life
May 12 2013, 09:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

Nail is my favourite player on the team now. I am looking forward to his second season so much!

Avatar
#6 Voltron
May 12 2013, 11:57AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

http://i.imgur.com/tp3CuxN.gif

Avatar
#8 YoungOil
May 12 2013, 12:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

JW, in the videos, EV1 = EV10 = PP1 = PP2. They're all footage of the same goal. (Paajarvi robbing Luongo and feeding to Yak for empty net)

Avatar
#9 Oiler Al
May 12 2013, 12:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

The guy loves to score... and does it right has his nose pointed to net all the time. I hope they never trade this guy... even for Weber.

Get a " Stud Center" to play between Hall and Yak and you would have a formidable NHL line.

Avatar
#10 striatic
May 12 2013, 01:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Spydyr wrote:

Why would you even consider that?

Miracle run for the President's Trophy?

Avatar
#11 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
May 12 2013, 02:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
striatic wrote:

D Sedin - H Sedin - Eberle

Hall - RNH - Yakupov

PRV - Gagner - Hartikainen

Smyth - Horcoff - Brown

bwahaha

Really nice collection of ingredients there, if your trying to make a nice soft loaf of bread.

Better give them all purses for preventative measures.

Avatar
#13 Muji
May 12 2013, 12:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Great work JW!

Avatar
#14 Craig MacTambeloweni
May 12 2013, 12:11PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Yakupov is so hungry and so dangerous, instead of the calder they gotta set him up for the Rocket Richard

Avatar
#15 Blue Giraffe
May 12 2013, 12:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

This was awesome, you should do this same thing with many more players.

Avatar
#16 Butters
May 12 2013, 12:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Umm, I watched all the goals, I think you have the same goal 3 times....The one where Loungo goes behind the net and PRV feeds Yak.

Avatar
#17 clyde
May 12 2013, 12:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Oiler Al wrote:

The guy loves to score... and does it right has his nose pointed to net all the time. I hope they never trade this guy... even for Weber.

Get a " Stud Center" to play between Hall and Yak and you would have a formidable NHL line.

If you get a stud center, he needs to play with Eberle because I have a bet That Eberle ends up having a better career than Hall. anyone have any thoughts on this? To me Eberle has such a high hockey IQ and knack for scoring big goals. He also seems to be able to adapt to playing with a wide variety of linemates almost seemlessly.

Avatar
#18 jonny94
May 12 2013, 01:29PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Spydyr

Hall will have the better career then Eberle. I hope it's a long and active one with the Oilers

Avatar
#19 striatic
May 12 2013, 01:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

The Oilers could use all their cap space and their 7th OV to trade for a year of Henrik and Daniel Sedin.

Theoretically.

Avatar
#20 striatic
May 12 2013, 01:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

D Sedin - H Sedin - Eberle

Hall - RNH - Yakupov

PRV - Gagner - Hartikainen

Smyth - Horcoff - Brown

bwahaha

Avatar
#21 Spydyr
May 12 2013, 01:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
striatic wrote:

Miracle run for the President's Trophy?

Followed by a four game sweep and no 7th overall pick for the next 8 years.

Avatar
#22 NewAgeSys
May 12 2013, 02:08PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Are you gunning for the Oilers video coaching job Willis?Be carefull you dont expose any of our player weaknesses via these excellent insights,it is sometimes difficult not to do this,dont underestimate the value of your insights and remember other teams frequently

Thanks for the excellent review,I hope this reminds us all how much Yakupov means to this franchises future.

No rookie has ever come out and shown this type of ONE SHOT goal scoring ability,that alone makes him untouchable.Never mind the evolution of his game near the end of the season when he got permission from the coaches and he began to take small risks and chased the recovered the puck more often,my god he is going to be a handfull for NHL defensmen next year because of this late season adjustment,he now knows he can handle himself in the tougher areas.Nice job by the coaches of keeping him out of the red zones as much as they did so he could adjust and not lose his head.Kudos to excellent player managment at a time when the team really needed us to unleash him and the coaches remained steadfast in the face oof tremendous pressure,the highlight of the year to me from a coaching perspective.

I forecast 50 goals next year from the 2nd line,if Nail plays with Gagner and MPS and gets regular PP minutes,if he is bopped around its anyones guess,I dont know how he managed to find so much sucess this season with all the different linemates he was exposed to,I guess this situation really proved how he can overcome changing linemates,this pumps his value up even more.

I dont want to see Nails talent and skillset carrying lesser skilled linemates,he needs quality men with him at all times,one or two goals isnt nearly enough with a player like Nail,he needs to be in a position to score multiple goals every night and this takes quality linemates and consistant linemates.

Once he becomes a bit more involved in developing plays earlier we will see a huge jump in his effectiveness.

Next year we will see the reality of what the core has to offer in an almost complete form.There isnt much left to add to the core,the bottom six needs work but the bulk of the core is already here and in place.

People talk about bold moves and they are quacked,Mac-Ts bold move will be to hire the NHLs first full time Intuit--Moma2/NewAgeSys--,now that is a bold move,Intuitive Dynamic Analysis is critical to every NHL franchises systemic managment program,it is a core value need.This incredibly potent form of systemic influence has traditionally been reserved for the very very rare men and women born with it,today anyone can learn it via the NHS.

There is only one systemic influence in the entire NHL that is 100% catalysed by Intuitiv Dynamic Analysis,and that is the NewAge Hockey Systems influences we have seen piecemeal in the last 3 years since its limited introduction.I created the NHS and I am an Intuit.Had you been in my living room when gold was 268 bucks an ounce you would be a millionaire today with a very limited investment,and these dynamic templates are easy to read,very easy if you are into it.And no I didnt buy in because i can do that any time at all,eveerything is cyclical and tied via a dynamic template to everything else of equal or greater value,it is a natural process.The trick is determining a static value long enough to make an accurate and results based analysis and assesment,hence the reason everyone isnt rich,you need to have Intuition or insider info to consistantly win at this game.

Avatar
#23 clyde
May 12 2013, 02:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
NewAgeSys wrote:

Are you gunning for the Oilers video coaching job Willis?Be carefull you dont expose any of our player weaknesses via these excellent insights,it is sometimes difficult not to do this,dont underestimate the value of your insights and remember other teams frequently

Thanks for the excellent review,I hope this reminds us all how much Yakupov means to this franchises future.

No rookie has ever come out and shown this type of ONE SHOT goal scoring ability,that alone makes him untouchable.Never mind the evolution of his game near the end of the season when he got permission from the coaches and he began to take small risks and chased the recovered the puck more often,my god he is going to be a handfull for NHL defensmen next year because of this late season adjustment,he now knows he can handle himself in the tougher areas.Nice job by the coaches of keeping him out of the red zones as much as they did so he could adjust and not lose his head.Kudos to excellent player managment at a time when the team really needed us to unleash him and the coaches remained steadfast in the face oof tremendous pressure,the highlight of the year to me from a coaching perspective.

I forecast 50 goals next year from the 2nd line,if Nail plays with Gagner and MPS and gets regular PP minutes,if he is bopped around its anyones guess,I dont know how he managed to find so much sucess this season with all the different linemates he was exposed to,I guess this situation really proved how he can overcome changing linemates,this pumps his value up even more.

I dont want to see Nails talent and skillset carrying lesser skilled linemates,he needs quality men with him at all times,one or two goals isnt nearly enough with a player like Nail,he needs to be in a position to score multiple goals every night and this takes quality linemates and consistant linemates.

Once he becomes a bit more involved in developing plays earlier we will see a huge jump in his effectiveness.

Next year we will see the reality of what the core has to offer in an almost complete form.There isnt much left to add to the core,the bottom six needs work but the bulk of the core is already here and in place.

People talk about bold moves and they are quacked,Mac-Ts bold move will be to hire the NHLs first full time Intuit--Moma2/NewAgeSys--,now that is a bold move,Intuitive Dynamic Analysis is critical to every NHL franchises systemic managment program,it is a core value need.This incredibly potent form of systemic influence has traditionally been reserved for the very very rare men and women born with it,today anyone can learn it via the NHS.

There is only one systemic influence in the entire NHL that is 100% catalysed by Intuitiv Dynamic Analysis,and that is the NewAge Hockey Systems influences we have seen piecemeal in the last 3 years since its limited introduction.I created the NHS and I am an Intuit.Had you been in my living room when gold was 268 bucks an ounce you would be a millionaire today with a very limited investment,and these dynamic templates are easy to read,very easy if you are into it.And no I didnt buy in because i can do that any time at all,eveerything is cyclical and tied via a dynamic template to everything else of equal or greater value,it is a natural process.The trick is determining a static value long enough to make an accurate and results based analysis and assesment,hence the reason everyone isnt rich,you need to have Intuition or insider info to consistantly win at this game.

No rookie? Mike Bossy.

Avatar
#24 Mikey
May 12 2013, 02:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@clyde

A year ago I would have agreed with you. After this year my bet is on Taylor. Eberle is soft on D.

Avatar
#25 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
May 12 2013, 02:54PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

If we knew our buttholes from a hole in the ground we should definitely follow the lead of the Geritol gang (PHWA). Trade this bum NOW, before the rest of the league finds out the truth about this comrade. The PHWA certainly knows more about hockey than the rest of us, don't they?

Well done Mr. Matheson and gang. You sure hung your dusty old arses out for all to see on this one.

Not a hundred percent sure, but would this be part of that "interest" category that has been established in post 6?

Avatar
#26 bumboclate
May 12 2013, 04:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Oiler Al wrote:

The guy loves to score... and does it right has his nose pointed to net all the time. I hope they never trade this guy... even for Weber.

Get a " Stud Center" to play between Hall and Yak and you would have a formidable NHL line.

Matt duchene would the perfect fit!!! One can only Dream

Avatar
#27 David S
May 12 2013, 04:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
NewAgeSys wrote:

Are you gunning for the Oilers video coaching job Willis?Be carefull you dont expose any of our player weaknesses via these excellent insights,it is sometimes difficult not to do this,dont underestimate the value of your insights and remember other teams frequently

Thanks for the excellent review,I hope this reminds us all how much Yakupov means to this franchises future.

No rookie has ever come out and shown this type of ONE SHOT goal scoring ability,that alone makes him untouchable.Never mind the evolution of his game near the end of the season when he got permission from the coaches and he began to take small risks and chased the recovered the puck more often,my god he is going to be a handfull for NHL defensmen next year because of this late season adjustment,he now knows he can handle himself in the tougher areas.Nice job by the coaches of keeping him out of the red zones as much as they did so he could adjust and not lose his head.Kudos to excellent player managment at a time when the team really needed us to unleash him and the coaches remained steadfast in the face oof tremendous pressure,the highlight of the year to me from a coaching perspective.

I forecast 50 goals next year from the 2nd line,if Nail plays with Gagner and MPS and gets regular PP minutes,if he is bopped around its anyones guess,I dont know how he managed to find so much sucess this season with all the different linemates he was exposed to,I guess this situation really proved how he can overcome changing linemates,this pumps his value up even more.

I dont want to see Nails talent and skillset carrying lesser skilled linemates,he needs quality men with him at all times,one or two goals isnt nearly enough with a player like Nail,he needs to be in a position to score multiple goals every night and this takes quality linemates and consistant linemates.

Once he becomes a bit more involved in developing plays earlier we will see a huge jump in his effectiveness.

Next year we will see the reality of what the core has to offer in an almost complete form.There isnt much left to add to the core,the bottom six needs work but the bulk of the core is already here and in place.

People talk about bold moves and they are quacked,Mac-Ts bold move will be to hire the NHLs first full time Intuit--Moma2/NewAgeSys--,now that is a bold move,Intuitive Dynamic Analysis is critical to every NHL franchises systemic managment program,it is a core value need.This incredibly potent form of systemic influence has traditionally been reserved for the very very rare men and women born with it,today anyone can learn it via the NHS.

There is only one systemic influence in the entire NHL that is 100% catalysed by Intuitiv Dynamic Analysis,and that is the NewAge Hockey Systems influences we have seen piecemeal in the last 3 years since its limited introduction.I created the NHS and I am an Intuit.Had you been in my living room when gold was 268 bucks an ounce you would be a millionaire today with a very limited investment,and these dynamic templates are easy to read,very easy if you are into it.And no I didnt buy in because i can do that any time at all,eveerything is cyclical and tied via a dynamic template to everything else of equal or greater value,it is a natural process.The trick is determining a static value long enough to make an accurate and results based analysis and assesment,hence the reason everyone isnt rich,you need to have Intuition or insider info to consistantly win at this game.

HOLY LONGPOST!

WHAT THE H3LL MAN!?!?!???

Avatar
#28 YFC Prez
May 12 2013, 07:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Holly molly this looks like a lot of work. Thanks JW

Avatar
#29 clyde
May 12 2013, 09:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Mikey wrote:

A year ago I would have agreed with you. After this year my bet is on Taylor. Eberle is soft on D.

I hope you are wrong and I am told Eberle was a little nicked up plus sick. I really like his potential, how he sees the ice and his big game productivity.

Avatar
#30 Pucker - B class
May 13 2013, 12:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Mr. Willis - I love your breakdowns (and break downs). I don't have time at this time, to look at the videos but the charts are excellent and I particularly enjoys your screenshot analysisesss (or analysisii?).

So Just a vote in favour of keeping it up.

Avatar
#31 Wax Man Riley
May 13 2013, 11:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@NewAgeSys

People talk about bold moves and they are quacked,Mac-Ts bold move will be to hire the NHLs first full time Intuit--Moma2/NewAgeSys--,now that is a bold move,Intuitive Dynamic Analysis is critical to every NHL franchises systemic managment program,it is a core value need.This incredibly potent form of systemic influence has traditionally been reserved for the very very rare men and women born with it,today anyone can learn it via the NHS. There is only one systemic influence in the entire NHL that is 100% catalysed by Intuitiv Dynamic Analysis,and that is the NewAge Hockey Systems influences we have seen piecemeal in the last 3 years since its limited introduction.I created the NHS and I am an Intuit.Had you been in my living room when gold was 268 bucks an ounce you would be a millionaire today with a very limited investment,and these dynamic templates are easy to read,very easy if you are into it.And no I didnt buy in because i can do that any time at all,eveerything is cyclical and tied via a dynamic template to everything else of equal or greater value,it is a natural process.The trick is determining a static value long enough to make an accurate and results based analysis and assesment,hence the reason everyone isnt rich,you need to have Intuition or insider info to consistantly win at this game.

What does this even mean? Really. There might be value to it if used in context, but this is the type of repeated comment that Nation Citizens complain about. Please stop the unnecessary bits.

Comments are closed for this article.