ANSWER THE PHONE

Lowetide
May 06 2013 06:58PM

Dear NHL: As an industry, you are badly overlooking the Edmonton Oilers. I have a request: keep doing what you're doing.

Right now, the NHL and the industry that surrounds it doesn't really take these young Oilers seriously. Taylor Hall gets benched by Lindy Ruff at the World Hockey Championships, Nail Yakupov doesn't get enough votes to qualify for the Calder, and on it goes. This is nothing new, hell the Oilers have been in the second division so long there are likely some NHL men and media who can't name 10 Oilers.

Keep it up. Keep going. Keep taking this Oiler team for granted.

One day soon, the rag-tag Oilers will come in to your town and you'll contemplate giving away the tickets, or you'll give them to a staff member who hasn't seen a game in a decade. Go for it. The Oilers have been down so long the amount of respect they get is somewhere between slim and none and slim just left town.

Sent in your awards votes early? No worries, it's only the Oilers, it's just Yakupov out in the cold (on a 33 degree day).

WHO CARES ABOUT THE OILERS?

Exactly. WHO CARES ABOUT THE OILERS? Oh sure, they were almost in the playoffs for a minute there, but then they realized they were the Oilers and stepped back in the elevator shaft. Who can blame Lindy Ruff for running Matt Read out there instead of Hall--after all, what has Hall ever done, aside from pushing the river at 5x5 since he arrived from the draft and (this past season) finishing in the league's top 10 scorers? It was a SOFT top 10, right? SURE.

Keep. Doing. What. You're Doing.

THE PLOT TWIST

Mark my words, NHL. One day your teams will come to our city, good old "2 points in the bank" Alberta and you're going to get a wake up call. All over. And when it gets very bad, you'll be dialing 9-1-1 and will hear the operator say "if you'd like to make a call, please hang up and try again!"

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

The Oilers have been out of the playoffs so long my kids don't really remember what this city looks like when excitement rules the spring and summer.

Oh brother, they will. And Lindy Ruff will know what Taylor Hall can do, and the Calder votes that didn't go to Yakupov (and Nuge and Hall and Eberle before him) will all be cashed in one glorious movie climax.

Answer the phone.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#101 Wax Man Riley
May 07 2013, 07:31PM
stretch14 wrote:

Thanks wax man, jprime had already pointed out that mistake. I'm well aware of the difference.

As far as the spelt vs. spelled debate goes last time I checked we weren't in America, at least I'm not.

"Outside the U.S., the two forms are interchangeable in these senses, and both are commonly used."

So since you couldn't formulate a legitimate counterpoint to the actual content of what I wrote you decided to nitpick the one grammatical error I made in my original post and attempted to erroneously correct me on the usage of spelt. Good work!

NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM......FEED TEH INTERWEBZ TROLL

I'm glad you went to look that up, professor. You learned (or is it learnt?) something today: We are not in the U.S.

Your original comment had nothing of substance to reply to since we are, you know, on a blog and fan site. Coming to a fan site or blog, you expect to read posts that, you know, play to the fans, and maybe have a bit of a local bias.

Maybe next time you can educate us on the difference between Zed and Zee.

#102 stretch14
May 07 2013, 08:29PM

@Wax Man Riley

Hey, if your are going to correct a guy at least be right.

Maybe next time you won't be wrong and I won't have to.

As far as being a troll goes, couldn't be further from the truth. I'm a die-hard Oilers fan, just not a fan of lowetide's writing.

If anything you're trolling me champ.

#103 djc
May 07 2013, 08:50PM
stretch14 wrote:

Hey, if your are going to correct a guy at least be right.

Maybe next time you won't be wrong and I won't have to.

If anything you're trolling me champ.

Good grief now people are arguing who is trolling who (whom?).

I'll check back in when training camp starts.

#104 @Oilanderp
May 07 2013, 09:34PM

It's getting more and more pointless to read past the end of the article on this site anymore.

#105 Kodiak
May 08 2013, 10:01AM
DSF wrote:

And when Hall actually outscores Kessel in real terms, not projections, he will get respect.

That was the point.

So the lack of respect for Hall is because he scored 50 points instead of 53? Really? Really?

You compare a 25yr old player's stats to a 20yr olds when it suits you but dispute the comparison when it doesn't and cherry pick every stat and argument. Give it a rest already.