DEAN BLUNDELL: AS LOW AS IT GETS

Robin Brownlee
June 14 2013 07:06PM

There's so much low-brow one-downsmanship on the radio now it's not often something is in such bad taste or so offensive it grabs my attention to the point of outrage, but The Dean Blundell Show at 102.1 The Edge managed it today.

Blundell, an Albertan and a talk show host based in Toronto, apparently finds humor in what is feared to be the drowning former Edmonton Oil King and Edmonton Oiler draft pick Kristians Pelss in Riga, Latvia.

While family, friends, fans and members of the Oil Kings and Oilers hope for the best and fear the worst while awaiting word on the fate of Pelss, who has been missing for three days, Blundell and his co-host used this unfolding tragedy as material on their show today – as pointed out by an Edmontonian going by the handle of JRM on Twitter.

Listening to the podcast of Blundell's show, which runs 5:30 a.m. to 10 a.m., made me numb – as numb as I felt when I first heard reports yesterday Pelss has gone missing was feared drowned. I'll resist the urge to mount the soap box here and let Blundell's routine speak for itself.

WHAT HE SAID

"Edmonton Oilers prospect Kristians Pelss disappeared without a trace after reportedly jumping off a bridge in his native Latvia. Pelss, who played two seasons with the Edmonton Oil Kings of the WHL is believed to have jumped into the dark of a river in the capital city of Riga, Latvia early Tuesday morning," said Blundell, reading the first part of the item in straight news style. "Rescuers have seen no sign of him, according to a news agency.

"His clothes were found on the scene but a search of the river failed to turn him up. Edmonton Oil Kings organization along with the Edmonton Oilers and AHL Barons ba-da-ba-da-ba-da said that reports of him going missing are being looked at this week. There's been contradictory information reported at times. They are hoping he returns to the Edmonton Oilers and Oil Kings organization shortly."

Then, the item takes a sickening turn.

"How much must it suck playing hockey in Edmonton when you . . . I'm not going back. I mean, you'd rather jump off a bridge in like a war-torn country in a freezing cold river than go back to Edmonton. Shame. I hope they find him. I've been to Edmonton. I know what that guy's talking about (laughs)."

The link to the offending podcast is here. It's the first item under "Current Feed Content," using the "play now" button.

The station manager at 102.1 The Edge is Ross Winters. If you care to reach him, you can do so here.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#101 Love Monkey
June 15 2013, 03:04PM

Can't say I'm surprised... Based on the website banner, the radio station's primary sponsor appears to be a rub & tug joint in Toronto so why should we expect them to epitomize class on the air.

Anyway, I'd seldom heard of this asshat before yesterday so hopefully we can get over his stupidity and focus our thoughts and prayers on the Pelss family mourning the loss of a son and brother today.

#102 Big J
June 15 2013, 03:08PM
peter wrote:

First of all mr Dean has no knowledge of geography. Latvia has long since not seen any war. Latvia has been part of European Union for years and NATO as well. So that just points out his stupidity in first place. Secondary jumping in this particular river is extreme but is done fairly often so just because a person jumped in it did not mean it was suicide. Water currently is about 22c so its definitely not cold either. Finlay just the fact that one can joke around with somebodies life like this is unacceptable. I hope Dean loses his job for this and gets a proper life lesson, where again he should relay start by going back to school and learning some basics.

I hope you make yourself available to everyone who wants to make a joke or off-color comment to adjudicate its propriety. Life is for the living. Go do something nice for someone and make them smile.

#103 Rob...
June 15 2013, 03:27PM
@Oilanderp wrote:

My standards are the same as they were last week. Yours? How amusing it is that you feel you can now insult me with your newfound sense of indignation and outrage. I want to live in a country where anyone can say anything they damn well please. Personal tastes or standards have nothing to do with it. I respect the right of others to say things that offend others. I vehemently defend another's right to act like a donkey's behind, even yours.

In my opinion you don't have anything resembling what I consider standards.

Also, get off your high horse. You stated: "The only people who should feel offended by this is the man's family and friends." You claim to respect the rights of others while also obviously thinking that it is your right to dictate what others are offended by.

I personally am offended both by those who choose to attack or ridicule people when they're most vulnerable and by those who tell me what I should or should not think or feel.

My original statement stands, and you've further shown yourself as being one of the lowest of the low.

#104 Naky
June 15 2013, 04:06PM

For the person who asked about K97's apparent same joke with a picture of the since deleted Twitter comment and who Scott Banger is, Scott is the show producer for Terry Bill and Steve IIRC. If he's saying they got no complaints about it, it's cuz he's the one screening the calls for them and the one the program director would be talking to if the station got calls/email complaints from other avenues other than the show's.

TBS can definitely cross the line but the station listeners for them are usually so rabid in their support for them that they rarely seem to complain about them. That's likely why they got no complaints.

#105 Chris.
June 15 2013, 04:06PM

Oilanderp wrote:

Do you? Do you really? Are you sure you've really thought that through? Is it impossible for you to imagine any point where limits to free speech may be required?

#106 Mojo
June 15 2013, 04:17PM

Sent an email to Mr. Winters as well. Absolutely disgusting.

#107 Stealthwise
June 15 2013, 04:36PM

I would recommend that people find out who the main sponsors of this radio show are and contact them with complaints also. Money talks.

#108 RexLibris
June 15 2013, 05:36PM

Anyone read Blundell's apology via Twitter?

"Truly sorry for untimely remarks about Kristians Pelss. Should have waited to know. Thoughts w family and friends"

Let's begin with "untimely"? When exactly would it have been the right time to make that kind of joke? A week? A month? Maybe, just maybe twenty years from now? Probably not. That he suggests his remarks were untimely tells us that he really doesn't understand that what he said was, in principle, wrong.

"Should have waited to know" What? How does knowing if Pelss is dead mollify the stupidity of the comment that followed?

Not to mention, apologizing by Twitter? This kind of apology just gets back to the common refrain amongst celebrities when they have to make amends, they apologize without taking any blame or responsibility for their actions.

#109 6 ring circus
June 15 2013, 06:19PM

The comments that Blundell made are unacceptable and for him to come out now after getting a negative response just show's that he is a jackass. If he is truly sorry, he should resign from his job, otherwise his apology means nothing.My condolences goes out to Kristians Pelss family.

#110 Jamie B.
June 15 2013, 06:21PM

Apparently he tried to defend himself by saying he thought Pelss faked it, re: the wording of his apology. (Note: I did not hear those comments myself.) Considering he read the news report right before his "joke", this seems somewhat disingenuous.

And by the way, for everyone using the free speech defense, Canada does not have absolute free speech, we have hate speech laws in this country and I for one like it that way. If you don't, well, there's the US right there, feel free to move I guess.

#111 michael
June 15 2013, 06:57PM
6 ring circus wrote:

More so now with Pelss confirmed dead. The guys apology is insincere and comes on the tail of a negative response. His parents didn't teach him manners when he was young. Or they did and he just grew up to be a dumbass. Dumbass scale 10/10 .

Robin will there be a condolences book to sign or is something else OilersNation fans are doing at this time?

#112 TDSM31
June 16 2013, 12:22AM
Michael Cini wrote:

Hair...get some

Mr. Cini, I don't get your attempted diss at Rob...are you insinuating that its actually him in his profile pic? Uh, that's Messier. Glasses....get some.

#113 TDSM31
June 16 2013, 12:25AM
RexLibris wrote:

Anyone read Blundell's apology via Twitter?

Exactly....that apology was more hollow than KLowes...

#114 7_even
June 16 2013, 03:02AM
Bryan in SK wrote:

I haven't read all the posts, so I apologize if this has already been mentioned. In the past, I've found that contacting the sponsors and advertisers is a much more effective way of addressing concerns. Money talks, and I can vote with my dollars.

A couple of sponsors of The Edge are emergen-c.ca (a Pfizer company) and DeWalt power tools. I left a couple of messages with them as well.

Super good call, man. Super good call.

#115 7_even
June 16 2013, 03:09AM

Blundell's twitter apology: one dollar. "Blundell" sounding like "blundering fool:" priceless.

#116 Tim Edwards
June 16 2013, 06:30AM

Relax ....

#117 Big J
June 16 2013, 09:16AM

The level of hypocrisy here is astounding. Everyone has laughed at or joked about Michael Jackson, or the Hitler rant parodies, for example. So I guess its fine for some people to say whatever they like, but not others. Do you really think a manager for a Toronto based radio station is concerned about the backlash from Oiler fans? From a radio station, a talk show, and a host that most people hadn't even heard of?

#118 Big J
June 16 2013, 09:30AM
Bryan in SK wrote:

Testify...whatever you did worked. Dewalt stock plummeted 90%. Mike Duke, president and ceo of Walmart, was overheard saying the company would take great care to never offend you lest you take your shopping dollars elsewhere.

#119 Rob...
June 16 2013, 10:22AM

@Big J

If you can't come up with better examples than those two then you just failed big-time. I'd instead compare it to the nurse who hung herself after her mistake involving those Aussie radio personalities. And I didn't hear one joke about her after the news broke.

#120 @Oilanderp
June 16 2013, 12:32PM

Hmmm. I'm the lowest of the low. Thanks for your input. Perhaps you will call my boss and try to get me fired now? I deserve it since my opinion is incorrect. I am subhuman. Thanks. You win I guess? *shrug*

#121 Big J
June 16 2013, 12:46PM

@Rob...

That's about as compelling evidence as may be found-you say so, so it has to be true. lol I think you'd be better suited on a website like Club Penguin.

#122 Rob...
June 16 2013, 02:12PM

@Big J

You're a troll, and may be better suited to commenting on youtube posts.

#123 Dangilitis
June 16 2013, 10:06PM
@Oilanderp wrote:

You want to live in a country where anyone can say anything they please? Like preaching ignorant hatred towards minorities (which ultimately lead to the Holocaust, the genocide in Rwanda and countless others). Or using the death of a 20 year old to sell radio time?

Why did I use examples that differed markedly in their consequences? Because if you "respect the right of others to day things that offend others," then you clearly have not read the constitution of this nation. Your rights to freedom extend to the point at which they impinge on the rights of others. Like when you impinge on the rights of a 20 year old to rest in peace without being the punch line of an ignorant joke. Or for his parents to mourn his loss and honour his life.

Do you respect the right of others to say things that offend others? So, would you mind, for example, if I told you that evolutionary pressures have unfortunately been eliminated in much of modern society, to the point that morons like you are allowed to survive to age of reproduction and thus pass on your hereditary predisposition to intellectual deficiency to the next generation? Hypothetically speaking, of course...

#124 @Oilanderp
June 17 2013, 12:07AM

Blaaaaaah blahblahblahblahblahblah blaaaaah blahblahblahblah

*click*

See? I can turn it off. I like having that choice.

That's not good enough for most of you is it. You want to make my choice FOR me. You know best. Your standards are the correct ones.

#125 Scott
June 17 2013, 12:34AM

Had this been a Toronto player and an Edmonton radio station said this You guys wouldn't care. Distasteful? Possibly. Change the station, you're an adult

#126 @Oilanderp
June 18 2013, 02:17AM

I am BIG! I can change station see mom? BIG!

#127 Kurt Stallings
June 19 2013, 12:34PM

Well, to be fair, Blundell seems to have brows lower than Mongo's in *Blazing Saddles.* It's like picking on a helpless beast to call him on it.

I mean, look: I wouldn't describe Belgium as "war torn," but it's been roughly the same amount of time since war visited Estonia as it has Belgium. In the end, he pulls in like -- well, gee, can't really say "like MINDED" can we? Um -- listeners who are similarly disinterested in the real world around them. There are a lot of them, just review the results of any recent election.

So that brings in the coin, and the coin is what makes the choo-choo go.

It's all about where the choo-choo go. And at the level "where," he drops out like a man who couldn't point to Europe on a map if they threw him extra Scoobie snacks to do it.

Like Mongo, "[Blundell] only pawn in game in life."