DEAN BLUNDELL: AS LOW AS IT GETS

Robin Brownlee
June 14 2013 07:06PM

There's so much low-brow one-downsmanship on the radio now it's not often something is in such bad taste or so offensive it grabs my attention to the point of outrage, but The Dean Blundell Show at 102.1 The Edge managed it today.

Blundell, an Albertan and a talk show host based in Toronto, apparently finds humor in what is feared to be the drowning former Edmonton Oil King and Edmonton Oiler draft pick Kristians Pelss in Riga, Latvia.

While family, friends, fans and members of the Oil Kings and Oilers hope for the best and fear the worst while awaiting word on the fate of Pelss, who has been missing for three days, Blundell and his co-host used this unfolding tragedy as material on their show today – as pointed out by an Edmontonian going by the handle of JRM on Twitter.

Listening to the podcast of Blundell's show, which runs 5:30 a.m. to 10 a.m., made me numb – as numb as I felt when I first heard reports yesterday Pelss has gone missing was feared drowned. I'll resist the urge to mount the soap box here and let Blundell's routine speak for itself.

WHAT HE SAID

"Edmonton Oilers prospect Kristians Pelss disappeared without a trace after reportedly jumping off a bridge in his native Latvia. Pelss, who played two seasons with the Edmonton Oil Kings of the WHL is believed to have jumped into the dark of a river in the capital city of Riga, Latvia early Tuesday morning," said Blundell, reading the first part of the item in straight news style. "Rescuers have seen no sign of him, according to a news agency.

"His clothes were found on the scene but a search of the river failed to turn him up. Edmonton Oil Kings organization along with the Edmonton Oilers and AHL Barons ba-da-ba-da-ba-da said that reports of him going missing are being looked at this week. There's been contradictory information reported at times. They are hoping he returns to the Edmonton Oilers and Oil Kings organization shortly."

Then, the item takes a sickening turn.

"How much must it suck playing hockey in Edmonton when you . . . I'm not going back. I mean, you'd rather jump off a bridge in like a war-torn country in a freezing cold river than go back to Edmonton. Shame. I hope they find him. I've been to Edmonton. I know what that guy's talking about (laughs)."

The link to the offending podcast is here. It's the first item under "Current Feed Content," using the "play now" button.

The station manager at 102.1 The Edge is Ross Winters. If you care to reach him, you can do so here.

Listen to Robin Brownlee Wednesdays and Thursdays from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. on the Jason Gregor Show on TEAM 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
A sports writer since 1983, including stints at The Edmonton Journal and The Sun 1989-2007, I happily co-host the Jason Gregor Show on TSN 1260 twice a week and write when so inclined. Have the best damn lawn on the internet. Most important, I am Sam's dad. Follow me on Twitter at Robin_Brownlee. Or don't.
Avatar
#51 7_even
June 14 2013, 11:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Apologies: I had neglected to mention that my last post re this article was the message that I had sent to that Blundell guy's boss.

Avatar
#52 Martin0994
June 14 2013, 11:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

As much as I agree that the comments weren't in good taste, you have to acknowledge the fact that he did apologize.... we all do stuff that we look back on and say "hey, I was completely stupid in saying/doing that, I totally crossed a line.".

I'm a fan of the DBS, so sure I express a little bias but I can understand the frustration. I've been lurking on this site for quite awhile but in this case I thought I would post. But what's done is done, and not much can be done now. Sure you can call the CRTC and complain (which many, MANY do) and they'll give him a slap on the wrist, maybe. Corus can't afford to let him go, he's one of the anchors of the station.

I'm on the fence about this one. Say if it were me in his position, I'd be trying to go every extent to making an apology and more....I'd feel awful. I've said one or two things in my life I shouldn't have and regret.

Avatar
#53 Mumbai Max
June 14 2013, 11:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I have sent the following mail. As for it being ok because it is garnering ratings or 'all in fun', i strongly disagree. I do not think making fun of a person who has been driven to end their own life is ever ok. I think anyone who thinks that has never personally been in the situation of experiencing the loss of a loved one in this way. This is not a question of political correctness or being over-sensitive it is a question of common decency

Dear Mr. Winters

I am writing to register my sickened disapproval for the words of your Mr. Blundell. I am sure if it was his child that suffered from mental illness and took their life he would not appreciate the incident being used as fodder for a stupid joke. It is obvious that Mr. Blundell is not a clever or wordly man, as Latvia is most certainky not war torn, it is in fact beautiful and prosperous. However being a moron does not excuse him from this loutish behaviour. If he is the best example of humanity that you can find for his role I also feel sorry for you. Do the world a favour and remove him from the air. A tepid forced apology will be a further waste of his hot air. Best Regards.

Avatar
#54 Michael Cini
June 14 2013, 11:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

not that you folk don't have the right to be upset, but how pretentious are you people? If you don't like something than change it. Don't take to a public lynching because "I'm" offended. Was it crass and untimely? Sure but all you people who never had a clue for this poor kid was before today are equally repugnant in that your empathy and "numbness" is so insincere it's sickening.

Avatar
#55 Mumbai Max
June 14 2013, 11:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Michael Cini

I believe the idea of writing to the station manager IS an attempt to 'change it' and would not really qualify as a public lynching.

Avatar
#56 Martin0994
June 14 2013, 11:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Mumbai Max wrote:

I believe the idea of writing to the station manager IS an attempt to 'change it' and would not really qualify as a public lynching.

It is when people start going after him on twitter/facebook saying "go ef yourself" or even "go kill yourself" (which I saw on twitter). That's when this situation really starts to annoy me. But hey, if you wish to express your opinion in a professional manner like you mentioned above go right ahead, it's good by all means and everyone should have their say. It's just that people who are attacking him so viciously don't exactly seem much better themselves.

Avatar
#57 Brad
June 14 2013, 11:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Thanks Robin for letting us k ow about this.

My letter to Winters... Blundells comments regarding Kristians Pelss today were absolutely disgracefull and unforgivable. Any decent human being with any respect for others would have never even considered to spew those words in private, let alone a media broadcast! This accident was a sad and tragic event and to have Blundell joke about this on air should have serious consequences. This is your responsibilty to set an example to everyone who has listened to the show as this reflects so poorly on your station and you as a manager. Please do the right thing and handle this appropriately.

Avatar
#58 mlcselli
June 14 2013, 11:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

A regular poster on this site, (changes his name frequently ,shock and awe I believe was his latest handle), made a similar comment yesterday. After catching some flack from other posters, he decided to justify his ignorance with a follow-up as equally inappropriate. Jonathon, has given him an indefinite ban, and I hope it gets decided the ban will stay in place. I can't believe the ignorance some people will display in the face of tragedy. Somewhere in Latvia, there are people that are likely inconsolable, while somewhere in Canada there are some a**holes that think it's funny. The nerve of these jerks. Praying for the rescue or recovery of Kristians Pless, and praying for strength for his family in the face of some very dark hours.

Avatar
#59 Mumbai Max
June 14 2013, 11:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Martin0994 wrote:

It is when people start going after him on twitter/facebook saying "go ef yourself" or even "go kill yourself" (which I saw on twitter). That's when this situation really starts to annoy me. But hey, if you wish to express your opinion in a professional manner like you mentioned above go right ahead, it's good by all means and everyone should have their say. It's just that people who are attacking him so viciously don't exactly seem much better themselves.

i agree

Avatar
#60 Eddie Shore
June 14 2013, 11:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

I'm kind of shocked that people would just dismiss this as free speech or a cheap attempt at humour. Would you feel the same why if it was your brother, cousin, son, friend? If not, why is it ok to feel differently because you didn't personally know him? At the end of the day, somebody HAS lost their son, cousin, friend. Keep that in mind.

Avatar
#61 Rob...
June 15 2013, 12:00AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
@Oilanderp wrote:

100 people in the world die every single minute. So yeah... it's quite common. The only people who should feel offended by this is the man's family and friends. You know, the people who have actually suffered real loss, not the people who like to get on high horses and look down at others.

http://www.worldometers.info/

Standards... get some.

Avatar
#62 Michael Cini
June 15 2013, 12:07AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

But he never made fun of the kid, he made fun of Edmonton. At no point was anything derogatory or profane said about the kid. Now using the event to make a joke I agree a little classless but I can't stand all the die-hards that are out now since there's now something to jump on.

Avatar
#63 Michael Cini
June 15 2013, 12:09AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@mlcselli

No buddy thinks it's funny that the kids dead you a55clown. You completely missed the joke. What was funny was the shot at the CITY OF EDMONTON he took, while I admit, in a not very professional and well thought out method. But there's a big difference between making fun of Edmonton and making fun of a kid dying. give your head a shake

Avatar
#64 Michael Cini
June 15 2013, 12:12AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Rob... wrote:

Standards... get some.

Hair...get some

Avatar
#65 @Oilanderp
June 15 2013, 12:18AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Rob...

My standards are the same as they were last week. Yours? How amusing it is that you feel you can now insult me with your newfound sense of indignation and outrage. I want to live in a country where anyone can say anything they damn well please. Personal tastes or standards have nothing to do with it. I respect the right of others to say things that offend others. I vehemently defend another's right to act like a donkey's behind, even yours.

Avatar
#66 Kyle
June 15 2013, 12:29AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Michael Cini wrote:

No buddy thinks it's funny that the kids dead you a55clown. You completely missed the joke. What was funny was the shot at the CITY OF EDMONTON he took, while I admit, in a not very professional and well thought out method. But there's a big difference between making fun of Edmonton and making fun of a kid dying. give your head a shake

Your right bud, he just insinuated that the kid committed suicide, so he didn't have to return to Edmonton, no harm done there right? I guess thats not an insult to Pelss or his worried family. People like you defend people like Blundell, because your equally as classless as you are stupid. My apologies to the thread for being so blunt I just don't want @mlcselli to "completely miss the joke"

Avatar
#67 Mumbai Max
June 15 2013, 12:32AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Well, this topic has certainly hit a nerve, hasn't it?

I think it is important to recognize the difference between free speech, and saying things that the community has deemed offensive. This case may or may not be a good example of this, but the reality is that most civilized countries (including Canada) have drawn a line in the sand between those two things. We have as a civilized country agreed amongst ourselves (through the legal system), that there are certain things that can be said publically and certain things that cannot. Yes, we have free speech, but it cannot inspire hatred, be racist, etc. etc. As I say, this radio host example may not be a good example, but for those espousing 'free speech', we do not have truly free speech. We have an agreement that we will only say things publically that 'we' have agreed on are acceptable.

The reaction to this radio host seems to indicate that there is a rather radical difference between what different people consider to be appropriate. There is nothing wrong with that of course.

The point of this rambling missive is that it is important to realize that there IS a line over which people cannot step. You cannot say anything you want on the radio, even if we do live in a free country. The disagreement over what is on each side of the line is important. What worries me is that some posters seem to be on the side of not having a line in the sand, and having unfettered freedom of speech. That worries me.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and please spend a moment of silence this weekend for the family of the young man who could not cope with the world as it is.

Avatar
#68 Count
June 15 2013, 12:35AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Kyle wrote:

Your right bud, he just insinuated that the kid committed suicide, so he didn't have to return to Edmonton, no harm done there right? I guess thats not an insult to Pelss or his worried family. People like you defend people like Blundell, because your equally as classless as you are stupid. My apologies to the thread for being so blunt I just don't want @mlcselli to "completely miss the joke"

Great job,tell that loser what needs to be said.

Avatar
#69 Kyle
June 15 2013, 12:49AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Mumbai Max wrote:

Well, this topic has certainly hit a nerve, hasn't it?

I think it is important to recognize the difference between free speech, and saying things that the community has deemed offensive. This case may or may not be a good example of this, but the reality is that most civilized countries (including Canada) have drawn a line in the sand between those two things. We have as a civilized country agreed amongst ourselves (through the legal system), that there are certain things that can be said publically and certain things that cannot. Yes, we have free speech, but it cannot inspire hatred, be racist, etc. etc. As I say, this radio host example may not be a good example, but for those espousing 'free speech', we do not have truly free speech. We have an agreement that we will only say things publically that 'we' have agreed on are acceptable.

The reaction to this radio host seems to indicate that there is a rather radical difference between what different people consider to be appropriate. There is nothing wrong with that of course.

The point of this rambling missive is that it is important to realize that there IS a line over which people cannot step. You cannot say anything you want on the radio, even if we do live in a free country. The disagreement over what is on each side of the line is important. What worries me is that some posters seem to be on the side of not having a line in the sand, and having unfettered freedom of speech. That worries me.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and please spend a moment of silence this weekend for the family of the young man who could not cope with the world as it is.

Well stated Mumbai, the problem is society has misconstrued the freedom of speech to "freedom to say whatever I want, no matter how offensive" which isn't true and illegal... Right Michael Cini? Education... Get some, after you have been utterly destroyed in a forum you think you would stop pressing your self proclaimed right to offend people, but clearly your mental capacity isn't up to par with the rest of us, so I'll write it in a way you might understand: Stop now, your wrong!! You are making yourself look worse for the public to see.

Avatar
#70 Jamie B.
June 15 2013, 12:55AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Michael Cini wrote:

not that you folk don't have the right to be upset, but how pretentious are you people? If you don't like something than change it. Don't take to a public lynching because "I'm" offended. Was it crass and untimely? Sure but all you people who never had a clue for this poor kid was before today are equally repugnant in that your empathy and "numbness" is so insincere it's sickening.

You complete dickhead. Yeah, sorry to get personal but your comment is as personal an insult to me. This is an Oilers fan website, people here love this team no doubt more than is reasonably sane. We follow these kids from the day they're drafted, not to mention that he played in Edmonton so we got to watch him in person, watch a young man come over here barely speaking any English, watch him work hard and grow.

Yeah, I never met Kristians in person, but that just makes it worse, because if I feel this bad about what happened to him, I can only imagine a fraction of what his family and friends are feeling right now. If Blundell had any of that empathy he would never have made a comment like that. It sickens me that close friends and teammates of Pelss like Travis Ewanyk had to hear some jackass ignore common human decency because he just wanted to make a joke. Don't tell me what I should feel about this. I didn't just decide to be outraged at someone for the hell if it, my life's not that f***ing sad.

Avatar
#71 Quicksilver ballet
June 15 2013, 01:16AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@Kyle

You, your, you're. You would benefit from some of that, said edumacation too, Kyle.

...just sayin.

Avatar
#72 Walter Sobchak
June 15 2013, 01:24AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Mumbai Max wrote:

Well, this topic has certainly hit a nerve, hasn't it?

I think it is important to recognize the difference between free speech, and saying things that the community has deemed offensive. This case may or may not be a good example of this, but the reality is that most civilized countries (including Canada) have drawn a line in the sand between those two things. We have as a civilized country agreed amongst ourselves (through the legal system), that there are certain things that can be said publically and certain things that cannot. Yes, we have free speech, but it cannot inspire hatred, be racist, etc. etc. As I say, this radio host example may not be a good example, but for those espousing 'free speech', we do not have truly free speech. We have an agreement that we will only say things publically that 'we' have agreed on are acceptable.

The reaction to this radio host seems to indicate that there is a rather radical difference between what different people consider to be appropriate. There is nothing wrong with that of course.

The point of this rambling missive is that it is important to realize that there IS a line over which people cannot step. You cannot say anything you want on the radio, even if we do live in a free country. The disagreement over what is on each side of the line is important. What worries me is that some posters seem to be on the side of not having a line in the sand, and having unfettered freedom of speech. That worries me.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and please spend a moment of silence this weekend for the family of the young man who could not cope with the world as it is.

Well said.

Avatar
#73 Walter Sobchak
June 15 2013, 01:25AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
Jamie B. wrote:

You complete dickhead. Yeah, sorry to get personal but your comment is as personal an insult to me. This is an Oilers fan website, people here love this team no doubt more than is reasonably sane. We follow these kids from the day they're drafted, not to mention that he played in Edmonton so we got to watch him in person, watch a young man come over here barely speaking any English, watch him work hard and grow.

Yeah, I never met Kristians in person, but that just makes it worse, because if I feel this bad about what happened to him, I can only imagine a fraction of what his family and friends are feeling right now. If Blundell had any of that empathy he would never have made a comment like that. It sickens me that close friends and teammates of Pelss like Travis Ewanyk had to hear some jackass ignore common human decency because he just wanted to make a joke. Don't tell me what I should feel about this. I didn't just decide to be outraged at someone for the hell if it, my life's not that f***ing sad.

"Never argue with an idiot; he will bring you down to his level and win from experience.”

Avatar
#74 Kyle
June 15 2013, 01:30AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

You, your, you're. You would benefit from some of that, said edumacation too, Kyle.

...just sayin.

Fair enough. Thanks grammar cop, I'm glad you took the time to correct my wording instead of offering something worth while to the discussion. That's very 4th grade of you.

It's ok. There's one of you in every forum, or is it you in every forum? Going through post by post making sure spelling and grammar are 100%, instead of getting the point. Please refrain from posting your trash, a person's life is in the mix here bud humor us, and show some respect!!

"Just Saying" .... With a "g"

Avatar
#75 Norm
June 15 2013, 02:05AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Classless. But don't kid yourselves the Program director and sales people are slapping each other on the back. They did it for radio book and overall ratings. There are some radio people in our region who are capable of the same thing. Don't get holier than thou E.town! Joking about someone's tragedy in a bar or on the radio should bring shame.

Avatar
#76 andrewmk20
June 15 2013, 02:16AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@@Oilanderp

It's very easy to say that until someone says terrible things about someone you love. People are angry because they feel that people should treat each other with respect. Just because you can say something doesn't mean you should. How would you feel if someone went off on one of your family members and people around you say chill out while your family member becomes depressed, starts self harming etc. Would you still come out and say that people should be allowed to say whatever they want. That's actually what's wrong with this world now. The inability to find the distinction between freedom of speech and being a crass donkey with no filter. We have brains for a reason, we use them to figure out how to interact with each other in a respectful and civil manner.

Avatar
#77 andrewmk20
June 15 2013, 02:22AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

By the way I listened to the blundell show for five minutes and felt my brain melting out my ears. I realize now how high end Oiler NOW, Inside Sports with Tencer, and Lowdown with Lowetide are now. This show is garbage in general and I'm not really surprised by his joke. It's not even low brow, it's no brow. He precedes the missing link on the evolutionary scale.

Team1260 and 630CHED I applaud your standards.

Avatar
#78 Norm
June 15 2013, 02:31AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Admittedly off topic but did anyone witness Stauffer's classless blindside shot on Todd Nelson on Oilers Now Wednesday? Talk about. cheapshots. No need to publicly rub Nelson's face in the fact he was passed over for the Oiler cosching position. Stauffer fobbed off the pending attack on Nelson by bleating pathetically "i'd be remiss if."..what a classless buffoon. I hope karma bits him hard someday, what a jerk.

Avatar
#79 Deeg
June 15 2013, 04:52AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Racki wrote:

K97 did it too?? I have no idea who "Scott Banger" is.

These types seem to thrive off any attention.. positive or negative. I'll be honest and say that when I joke around with friends, I habitually go over the line to get a reaction, but you can't do that kind of stuff publicly. These guys need to grow up.

He had "Morning show producer for Terry, Bill and Steve Edmonton" on his Twitter, but seems to have removed it. Another joke?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:W3f4CWj-jWIJ:https://twitter.com/Scottbanger+%40Scottbanger&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

Avatar
#80 peter
June 15 2013, 05:06AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

First of all mr Dean has no knowledge of geography. Latvia has long since not seen any war. Latvia has been part of European Union for years and NATO as well. So that just points out his stupidity in first place. Secondary jumping in this particular river is extreme but is done fairly often so just because a person jumped in it did not mean it was suicide. Water currently is about 22c so its definitely not cold either. Finlay just the fact that one can joke around with somebodies life like this is unacceptable. I hope Dean loses his job for this and gets a proper life lesson, where again he should relay start by going back to school and learning some basics.

Avatar
#81 Bill Wren
June 15 2013, 05:10AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

Here is what I sent:

Dear Mr. Winters,

I recently heard about Dean Blundel's comments regarding Kristians Pelss. I understand Mr. Blundel is a "shock jock". Apparently comments such as his are what he is paid for. Good for him. I'm sure it makes for a handsome resume.

However, should he ever move from puberty to adulthood you may want to direct him to these people: Suicide Prevention Canada (http://www.suicideprevention.ca/). They will be able to give him a good education about what suicide is all about. (Hint: it has nothing to do with sports. But then again, neither does Mr. Blundel's show.)

Avatar
#82 Bryan in SK
June 15 2013, 06:19AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

I haven't read all the posts, so I apologize if this has already been mentioned. In the past, I've found that contacting the sponsors and advertisers is a much more effective way of addressing concerns. Money talks, and I can vote with my dollars.

A couple of sponsors of The Edge are emergen-c.ca (a Pfizer company) and DeWalt power tools. I left a couple of messages with them as well.

Avatar
#83 NewAgeSys
June 15 2013, 07:00AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Martin0994 wrote:

As much as I agree that the comments weren't in good taste, you have to acknowledge the fact that he did apologize.... we all do stuff that we look back on and say "hey, I was completely stupid in saying/doing that, I totally crossed a line.".

I'm a fan of the DBS, so sure I express a little bias but I can understand the frustration. I've been lurking on this site for quite awhile but in this case I thought I would post. But what's done is done, and not much can be done now. Sure you can call the CRTC and complain (which many, MANY do) and they'll give him a slap on the wrist, maybe. Corus can't afford to let him go, he's one of the anchors of the station.

I'm on the fence about this one. Say if it were me in his position, I'd be trying to go every extent to making an apology and more....I'd feel awful. I've said one or two things in my life I shouldn't have and regret.

This is not about forgiveness, it is about acceptance. Comments that the moral majority find offensive will not be accepted

We have all said things we regret and have apologised, that is a given. The degree and sincerity of the apology generally dictates the level of acceptance people have for the apology itself. Apologys can be hollow so just as we all know we make mistakes we also all know that the degree to which we make an effort to correct or apologise defines our sincerity.

No one is expecting anything from this fellow, if his employer has an issue that is business isnt it? We are just letting EACH OTHER know what kind of world we want to share in and out of cyberspace and what values we want to carry through into both domains.

Forgiveness is an automatic in a healthy community "if" the proper efforts are put into restitution. A Nation-Wide attack and a one line apology in the Local Newspaper is not an acceptable level of restitution. Fix what ever you broke with energy and impact equal to or greater than that used initially to break it, simple. Its not like the guy was doing the SuperBowl and cant go back and create an equally impactfull moment now is it?

Fix it and forget it.

I am glad Oilersnation deals with these issues immediatly.

We are all responsible for self-policing the places we socialise in both in and out of cyberspace. We can only do this if we talk about these issues and hash them out for ourselves.

The Internet requires anonymity of name not moral fiber, we can still let our lights and personalitys shine through here and remain anonymous.

This is a Hockey site, we behave like men here , we DO NOT bully anyone, no women , no children, no people weaker than ourselves EVER. And we have a duty to protect that dynamic even if we hear something somewhere else, we have the right and responsibility to galvanise together here like we are doing.

We are not the kind of people to not care about our communitys and the people that live in them, quite the opposite in fact, we are virtually all community based mindsets, our common sports bond makes this happen. Our kids our communitys our moral passions all define who we are and we all have an equal responsibility to police that dynamic when we see we need to do that.

You cannot fence sit on issues like this, because if you do your vote becomes available to the two conflicting dynamics and its weight WILL BE PICKED UP by one of them, and because only one will be INTEGRITY based we KNOW by proxy where a fencesitters vote ends up -- on the Dark Side every time, if you let your vote fly out of your hands you know exactly where it will go and that is to the less integrity driven side of the dynamic, if that is who you are and what you want to represent yourself with then accept your accountability for casting your vote where it lands , do not hide and then expect to reenter the group when the trouble is gone.

With that being said my position is clearly that you dont make disrespectfull comments related to the death of a human being for profit generated by the comments impact, that is ripping the emotions out of a Family and friends and selling them for dimes and dollars to the world, sickening to say the least. Yes forgivable under the proper circumstances and efforts. All I expect is for the man to make a valid effort to correct his error in a forum as powerfull as the one he erred in, and YES I expect his employer to help him out , if they are a community based mindset they will forgive and support his efforts if he makes them on a personal level. They are equally responsible for both sides of the dynamic, the problematic one and the curative one. He was their employee and by proxy he spoke for them. It seems like an easy fix to me if the degree of effort is there, no one has a valid complaint if a proper effort is made to apologise.

Avatar
#84 Spydyr
June 15 2013, 08:14AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

Rest in peace Kristians Pelss.My thoughts are with his friends and family.

As time goes by this World gets colder and colder.Everyone is in it for themselves.It is the age of entitlement.

Hope mankind can change but I doubt it.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”

― Jimi Hendrix

Avatar
#85 EHH Team
June 15 2013, 08:34AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
@Oilanderp wrote:

My standards are the same as they were last week. Yours? How amusing it is that you feel you can now insult me with your newfound sense of indignation and outrage. I want to live in a country where anyone can say anything they damn well please. Personal tastes or standards have nothing to do with it. I respect the right of others to say things that offend others. I vehemently defend another's right to act like a donkey's behind, even yours.

While people have the right to say things that offend others, there are consequences, particularly if you have a public platform. Blundell should pay a price for his stupidity.

Avatar
#86 michael
June 15 2013, 08:35AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

Psalm 23. I forgive Mr Blundel for the man's lack of couth and class. I am certain that in the light of these comments and others he'll see what a bonehead he was.Maybe.

Avatar
#87 Gaz
June 15 2013, 08:36AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

@Kyle

What does "give your head a shake" even mean?

Honestly.

If someone can explain it to me, I will try to stop being irritated when someone says it, but until then, please confine your comments to the Edmonton Sun website (I still honestly believe that rag is an intentional spoof of a real newspaper) where you can tell people to "give their head a shake".

Avatar
#88 Chris.
June 15 2013, 09:18AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I wrote the station manager and the CRTC. These comments don't reflect Canadian values in an evolving International story.

Avatar
#90 Michael Cini
June 15 2013, 11:28AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Count wrote:

Great job,tell that loser what needs to be said.

It was a joke that made fun of Edmonton and if you read what I said earlier (which you probably didn't because your sole purpose in life is to be a follower) I said the method used to deliver the joke i.e the death of Pelss (and I'm explaining this to you because you're clearly have trouble thinking for yourself), was crass and unprofessional.

But please continue your campaign to get the guy fired and keep sending death threats through twitter (which is really really classy by the way) because "your offended" and we'll go through every radio station and make guidelines as to what YOU like and don't like to listen to, that why you never ever have to be offended. We'll even call it Kyle radio.

If you really want to have an impact here turn to a different station. Doesn't the author say that this joke was done for ratings? How much free publicity for the show do you think you and the rest of you guys have created? I think you should just take a recording of yourself talking and then play that on your radio's to save yourselves from the heart brake of being offended. Save us your hash-tags and plots to get the guy fired and your letters to the editor (which is probably in the trash)because unfortunately in life you are bound to be offended again, it just happens. Get over it. And thank you for calling me classless, a dickhead and stupid because it just shows how you result to mud throwing when you have nothing intelligent to say. Find a job, a girlfriend (or a boyfriend) and

Avatar
#91 Michael Cini
June 15 2013, 11:30AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Chris. wrote:

I wrote the station manager and the CRTC. These comments don't reflect Canadian values in an evolving International story.

And censorship of the radio because your offended, sending death threats to a guy who said something you didn't like and someone losing their job is? Get real

Avatar
#92 Big J
June 15 2013, 11:32AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Get outraged if you like. Get it out of your system. Outrage doesn't trump free speech, and for anyone who feels this guy on a talk show should suffer retribution for a careless, inane comment-well you've forgotten who we are. Whether it was the excoriation dealt to a local radio station for playing "New Orleans is Sinking" after Hurricane Katrina, or New York Ranger fans chanting "drive a Porsche" at Ron Hextall after the horrible Pelle Lindburg motor vehicle accident, idiots there are a plenty.There are people we all know whom are genetically inclined to stupidity. Do what your mom said...don't listen to it.

Avatar
#93 oldhippy
June 15 2013, 11:44AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
peter wrote:

First of all mr Dean has no knowledge of geography. Latvia has long since not seen any war. Latvia has been part of European Union for years and NATO as well. So that just points out his stupidity in first place. Secondary jumping in this particular river is extreme but is done fairly often so just because a person jumped in it did not mean it was suicide. Water currently is about 22c so its definitely not cold either. Finlay just the fact that one can joke around with somebodies life like this is unacceptable. I hope Dean loses his job for this and gets a proper life lesson, where again he should relay start by going back to school and learning some basics.

This is just what I was thinking. Latvia is a modern, beautiful country. Not only was he offensive to the Pelss family, and to the city of Edmonton, he was offensive to Latvia. I don't think he even considered that.

These shock jocks and their regular listeners, are beyond low. I don't mean their sense of humour. I've told many politically incorrect jokes in my time. It's when you promote an ignorant stereotype about people, and their home, that I find offensive. They will continue to believe Latvia is a poor strife ridden hell hole.

The insult to Latvia is akin to the Fox news insult of the Canadian military four years ago. I'm sure it was funny to most of their audience, but it denigrated the Canadian casualties in Afghanistan, and reinforced an uniformed view of Canadian contributions in this war.

I really don't mind people making jokes about my home, as long as they stick to some semblanc of the facts.

Avatar
#94 tileguy
June 15 2013, 11:49AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

After a google search "blundell + pelss" seems like the only commentary is from Edmonton. Is the rest of the country that insensitive? I don't see this out pouring of sympathy for others that have died (whether they were in a joke or not)so perhaps just another example of ------- journalism. You fill in the blank.

Avatar
#95 Chris.
June 15 2013, 12:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Michael Cini wrote:

And censorship of the radio because your offended, sending death threats to a guy who said something you didn't like and someone losing their job is? Get real

I'm not sure what you're trying to say to me regarding my comment.

Broadcasters have responsibilities under Canadian law and must adhere to a code of ethics. I am free as a Canadian citizen to write the CRTC when I feel a line has been crossed.

I never sent a death threat to anyone. Michael Cini: it is time for you to "get real".

Avatar
#96 OilClog
June 15 2013, 12:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Bryan in SK wrote:

I haven't read all the posts, so I apologize if this has already been mentioned. In the past, I've found that contacting the sponsors and advertisers is a much more effective way of addressing concerns. Money talks, and I can vote with my dollars.

A couple of sponsors of The Edge are emergen-c.ca (a Pfizer company) and DeWalt power tools. I left a couple of messages with them as well.

THIS!

Avatar
#97 Youri
June 15 2013, 02:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@oldhippy

I agree that stupid joke about the war and the words speak of the lack of education in the lead. Concerning Latvia ...... This ethnocratic state power which belongs only to the Latvians. The other minorities are considered second-class. Come to Latvia on April 16 and will see how much like Adolf Hitler.

Avatar
#98 mik
June 15 2013, 02:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Michael Cini wrote:

Hair...get some

Haha, you are a tool, that is a picture of Mark Messer.

Avatar
#99 Eddie Shore
June 15 2013, 02:54PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ItsDeanBlundell: Truly sorry for untimely remarks about Kristians Pelss. Should have waited to know. Thoughts w family and friends. #lessonlearned.

https://twitter.com/itsdeanblundell/status/345995193809514496

Avatar
#100 Youri
June 15 2013, 02:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Our education is better. We know where Canada is, and that the streets of Canadian cities do not go drunk polar bears with vodka and balalaika in his hands. We now summer. We, too, are in the northern hemisphere. The water in the rivers we warm. The war ended with us in 1945. We do not have any family in which no one would have died in that war, you do not understand. The truth now our soldiers are helping Canadian soldiers to kill civilians in Afghanistan, but Afghanistan is not from us, it further south. Yes, our country is not accepted mock dead people. There is a saying or a well or in any way. I apologize for machine translation. Notre éducation est meilleure. Nous savons que le Canada est, et que les rues des villes canadiennes n'allons pas les ours polaires ivres de vodka et balalaïka dans ses mains. Nous avons maintenant été. Nous aussi, nous sommes dans l'hémisphère nord. L'eau dans les rivières nous réchauffer. La guerre s'est terminée avec nous en 1945. Nous n'avons pas de famille dans laquelle personne ne serait mort dans cette guerre, vous ne comprenez pas. La vérité maintenant, nos soldats aident les soldats canadiens de tuer des civils en Afghanistan, mais l'Afghanistan n'est pas de nous, plus au sud. Oui, notre pays n'est pas acceptée morts simulées. Il ya un dicton ou une quelconque façon ou bien en. Je m'excuse pour la traduction automatique.

Comments are closed for this article.