DEAN BLUNDELL: AS LOW AS IT GETS

Robin Brownlee
June 14 2013 07:06PM

There's so much low-brow one-downsmanship on the radio now it's not often something is in such bad taste or so offensive it grabs my attention to the point of outrage, but The Dean Blundell Show at 102.1 The Edge managed it today.

Blundell, an Albertan and a talk show host based in Toronto, apparently finds humor in what is feared to be the drowning former Edmonton Oil King and Edmonton Oiler draft pick Kristians Pelss in Riga, Latvia.

While family, friends, fans and members of the Oil Kings and Oilers hope for the best and fear the worst while awaiting word on the fate of Pelss, who has been missing for three days, Blundell and his co-host used this unfolding tragedy as material on their show today – as pointed out by an Edmontonian going by the handle of JRM on Twitter.

Listening to the podcast of Blundell's show, which runs 5:30 a.m. to 10 a.m., made me numb – as numb as I felt when I first heard reports yesterday Pelss has gone missing was feared drowned. I'll resist the urge to mount the soap box here and let Blundell's routine speak for itself.

WHAT HE SAID

"Edmonton Oilers prospect Kristians Pelss disappeared without a trace after reportedly jumping off a bridge in his native Latvia. Pelss, who played two seasons with the Edmonton Oil Kings of the WHL is believed to have jumped into the dark of a river in the capital city of Riga, Latvia early Tuesday morning," said Blundell, reading the first part of the item in straight news style. "Rescuers have seen no sign of him, according to a news agency.

"His clothes were found on the scene but a search of the river failed to turn him up. Edmonton Oil Kings organization along with the Edmonton Oilers and AHL Barons ba-da-ba-da-ba-da said that reports of him going missing are being looked at this week. There's been contradictory information reported at times. They are hoping he returns to the Edmonton Oilers and Oil Kings organization shortly."

Then, the item takes a sickening turn.

"How much must it suck playing hockey in Edmonton when you . . . I'm not going back. I mean, you'd rather jump off a bridge in like a war-torn country in a freezing cold river than go back to Edmonton. Shame. I hope they find him. I've been to Edmonton. I know what that guy's talking about (laughs)."

The link to the offending podcast is here. It's the first item under "Current Feed Content," using the "play now" button.

The station manager at 102.1 The Edge is Ross Winters. If you care to reach him, you can do so here.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#1 Love Monkey
June 15 2013, 03:04PM

Can't say I'm surprised... Based on the website banner, the radio station's primary sponsor appears to be a rub & tug joint in Toronto so why should we expect them to epitomize class on the air.

Anyway, I'd seldom heard of this asshat before yesterday so hopefully we can get over his stupidity and focus our thoughts and prayers on the Pelss family mourning the loss of a son and brother today.

#2 Big J
June 15 2013, 03:08PM
peter wrote:

First of all mr Dean has no knowledge of geography. Latvia has long since not seen any war. Latvia has been part of European Union for years and NATO as well. So that just points out his stupidity in first place. Secondary jumping in this particular river is extreme but is done fairly often so just because a person jumped in it did not mean it was suicide. Water currently is about 22c so its definitely not cold either. Finlay just the fact that one can joke around with somebodies life like this is unacceptable. I hope Dean loses his job for this and gets a proper life lesson, where again he should relay start by going back to school and learning some basics.

I hope you make yourself available to everyone who wants to make a joke or off-color comment to adjudicate its propriety. Life is for the living. Go do something nice for someone and make them smile.

#3 Mojo
June 15 2013, 04:17PM

Sent an email to Mr. Winters as well. Absolutely disgusting.

#4 Stealthwise
June 15 2013, 04:36PM

I would recommend that people find out who the main sponsors of this radio show are and contact them with complaints also. Money talks.

#5 6 ring circus
June 15 2013, 06:19PM

The comments that Blundell made are unacceptable and for him to come out now after getting a negative response just show's that he is a jackass. If he is truly sorry, he should resign from his job, otherwise his apology means nothing.My condolences goes out to Kristians Pelss family.

#6 Rob...
June 15 2013, 12:00AM
@Oilanderp wrote:

100 people in the world die every single minute. So yeah... it's quite common. The only people who should feel offended by this is the man's family and friends. You know, the people who have actually suffered real loss, not the people who like to get on high horses and look down at others.

Standards... get some.

#7 Quicksilver ballet
June 15 2013, 01:16AM

@Kyle

You, your, you're. You would benefit from some of that, said edumacation too, Kyle.

...just sayin.

#8 Rob...
June 15 2013, 03:27PM
@Oilanderp wrote:

My standards are the same as they were last week. Yours? How amusing it is that you feel you can now insult me with your newfound sense of indignation and outrage. I want to live in a country where anyone can say anything they damn well please. Personal tastes or standards have nothing to do with it. I respect the right of others to say things that offend others. I vehemently defend another's right to act like a donkey's behind, even yours.

In my opinion you don't have anything resembling what I consider standards.

Also, get off your high horse. You stated: "The only people who should feel offended by this is the man's family and friends." You claim to respect the rights of others while also obviously thinking that it is your right to dictate what others are offended by.

I personally am offended both by those who choose to attack or ridicule people when they're most vulnerable and by those who tell me what I should or should not think or feel.

My original statement stands, and you've further shown yourself as being one of the lowest of the low.

#9 Naky
June 15 2013, 04:06PM

For the person who asked about K97's apparent same joke with a picture of the since deleted Twitter comment and who Scott Banger is, Scott is the show producer for Terry Bill and Steve IIRC. If he's saying they got no complaints about it, it's cuz he's the one screening the calls for them and the one the program director would be talking to if the station got calls/email complaints from other avenues other than the show's.

TBS can definitely cross the line but the station listeners for them are usually so rabid in their support for them that they rarely seem to complain about them. That's likely why they got no complaints.

#10 Chris.
June 15 2013, 04:06PM

Oilanderp wrote:

Do you? Do you really? Are you sure you've really thought that through? Is it impossible for you to imagine any point where limits to free speech may be required?

#11 RexLibris
June 15 2013, 05:36PM

Anyone read Blundell's apology via Twitter?

"Truly sorry for untimely remarks about Kristians Pelss. Should have waited to know. Thoughts w family and friends"

Let's begin with "untimely"? When exactly would it have been the right time to make that kind of joke? A week? A month? Maybe, just maybe twenty years from now? Probably not. That he suggests his remarks were untimely tells us that he really doesn't understand that what he said was, in principle, wrong.

"Should have waited to know" What? How does knowing if Pelss is dead mollify the stupidity of the comment that followed?

Not to mention, apologizing by Twitter? This kind of apology just gets back to the common refrain amongst celebrities when they have to make amends, they apologize without taking any blame or responsibility for their actions.

#12 Jamie B.
June 15 2013, 06:21PM

Apparently he tried to defend himself by saying he thought Pelss faked it, re: the wording of his apology. (Note: I did not hear those comments myself.) Considering he read the news report right before his "joke", this seems somewhat disingenuous.

And by the way, for everyone using the free speech defense, Canada does not have absolute free speech, we have hate speech laws in this country and I for one like it that way. If you don't, well, there's the US right there, feel free to move I guess.

#13 michael
June 15 2013, 06:57PM
6 ring circus wrote:

More so now with Pelss confirmed dead. The guys apology is insincere and comes on the tail of a negative response. His parents didn't teach him manners when he was young. Or they did and he just grew up to be a dumbass. Dumbass scale 10/10 .

Robin will there be a condolences book to sign or is something else OilersNation fans are doing at this time?

#14 TDSM31
June 16 2013, 12:22AM
Michael Cini wrote:

Hair...get some

Mr. Cini, I don't get your attempted diss at Rob...are you insinuating that its actually him in his profile pic? Uh, that's Messier. Glasses....get some.

#15 TDSM31
June 16 2013, 12:25AM
RexLibris wrote:

Anyone read Blundell's apology via Twitter?

Exactly....that apology was more hollow than KLowes...

#16 7_even
June 16 2013, 03:02AM
Bryan in SK wrote:

I haven't read all the posts, so I apologize if this has already been mentioned. In the past, I've found that contacting the sponsors and advertisers is a much more effective way of addressing concerns. Money talks, and I can vote with my dollars.

A couple of sponsors of The Edge are emergen-c.ca (a Pfizer company) and DeWalt power tools. I left a couple of messages with them as well.

Super good call, man. Super good call.

#17 7_even
June 16 2013, 03:09AM

Blundell's twitter apology: one dollar. "Blundell" sounding like "blundering fool:" priceless.

#18 Roadhouse
June 14 2013, 07:14PM

Sad...unreal...no words really to discribe this...

#19 FTO
June 14 2013, 07:16PM

*sigh* saw this joke coming a mile away, unfunny and unoriginal. Knew some zilch shock jock wannabe was going to make it at some point.

#20 Miley
June 14 2013, 07:20PM

Kudos on this bud, he's being lynched as we speak although there's a sad amount of people coming to his defence. His comments were ridiculous and pathetic and I hope he gets what's coming to him now. I've been doing whatever I can to get this out to the public.

#21 Jodes
June 14 2013, 07:26PM

Maybe one should arrange a phone call from the family of Mr. Pelss and he can man up and explain his actions and words. But He will probably give some half assed apology andcontinue to be his usual classless self.

#22 Toro
June 14 2013, 07:27PM

What a f**king GOOF

#23 NewfieMikey
June 14 2013, 07:28PM

I have working my arse off on twitter to get this out there, thanks for helping spread the word on a pathetic excuse for a person. I wonder if he'd be cracking jokes if his kid jumped off a bridge. I know his comments were sent to the crtc, let's hope they do something about it. Keep up the good work.

#24 Rocket
June 14 2013, 07:29PM

Total lack of class & respect.

#25 RexLibris
June 14 2013, 07:33PM

I'm reminded of the Don Imus (I think I got that name right...) issue a few years back about a women's basketball team.

He was sanctioned, pilloried, fired...and then re-hired.

I suspect that even if this example of human detritus were to be fired on account of this he'd quietly find another job with carte blanche to speak his mind at another station.

Thanks for leading the charge here Robin. I only hope others in the media, specifically those in the Toronto-based national media pick up on this and treat him appropriately.

#26 dawgtoy
June 14 2013, 07:38PM

Blundell clearly has the class of an unflushed toilet, now onto sending Mr.Winters a message as to what I think of his employee and his comments.

#27 Eddie Shore
June 14 2013, 07:40PM

Completely inappropriate and very disrespectful...exactly what I told Ross Winters in my email. Pathetic that someone would make light of this, no matter where or who they play for.

#28 Racki
June 14 2013, 07:41PM

That's "lose your job" level of stupidity, if you ask me. Completely insensitive to Pelss' family, teammates, friends, and fans to make light of a terrible situation. I'm not sure what goes through someone's mind to actually think it would be a good idea to say something like that, especially right now when it's weighing on peoples' minds.

Hopefully the idiot gets fired.

I actually got choked up a bit just telling this story to my fiance

#29 Robin Brownlee
June 14 2013, 07:41PM
RexLibris wrote:

He was sanctioned, pilloried, fired...and then re-hired.

I just hope we aren't jaded enough to think this kind of humor is funny. A young man is likely dead -- that he's a hockey player is secondary. Does this kind of crap really draw listeners today?

#30 Robin Brownlee
June 14 2013, 07:45PM
Eddie Shore wrote:

I've written to Winters as well. I'd urge anybody as offended by this to do so -- it's the only way people who make the decisions at places like radio stations will get the message.

#31 Eddie Shore
June 14 2013, 07:46PM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

That would be something that would make me switch stations, and not look back.

#32 ThatGuy109
June 14 2013, 07:52PM

@Robin Brownlee

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've also mailed in my disgust.

#prayforpelss

#33 Racki
June 14 2013, 07:52PM

I sent in an e-mail to the station manager. I'm sure he'll get a bunch.

#34 DJ Dynasty Handbag
June 14 2013, 07:52PM

pathetic.

I've done my part and sent a lengthy email to ross winters.

I've asked for the removal of Blundell from the air - hopefully enough other people do as well.

thanks for passing this story along.

#35 Mac962
June 14 2013, 08:00PM

Unreal- Lets pitch in for a a plane ticket to come to our City and vist with us. I know a place they will never find his sorry assed carcass.

That is the ultimate no-class move i have ever heard.

Bud F--K you. You piece of s--t We should turn you over to his family.

Lets do what we have to do to have him fired, petition whatever it takes.

You absolute F--k. Sorry Guys , i like all of you despise crap like this.

#36 NewfieMikey
June 14 2013, 08:00PM

Sent my email, hope a lot follow suit. I am still tweeting this to as many people as possible.

#37 Raider Jesse
June 14 2013, 08:22PM

Thanks Robin.

#38 Abby Oil
June 14 2013, 08:29PM

Somebody has likely lost their child.... I could not ever imagine. Wow. As Robin stated, he was a hockey player second.....

#39 Deeg
June 14 2013, 08:32PM

Was the same joke on the Terry, Bill and Steve show in Edmonton - as per their producer? This was eventually deleted from twitter:

#40 WhattaMike
June 14 2013, 08:53PM

Hey Robin thanks for showing us just how pathetic persons can be...

A life is lost and people think it can be a funny affair...whattaDoorknob Blundell is..

I will say that I made a personal but polite (no swearing) phone call to that station and left a rant voice mail message of that now and how this station should immediately apologize and fire Blundell, if not suspend him...

Tragedy is never funny nor understood...and the fa,ily of that young man deserve peace and support from those who can sympathize.

#41 MarcusBillius
June 14 2013, 08:53PM

I visit Toronto for work.

This isn't exactly off the wall behavior for the show.

#42 Bruce McCurdy
June 14 2013, 08:55PM

(what I wrote to station manager; thanks for the link, Robin)

That is a pretty disgusting attempt at "humour". Edmonton hockey fans are feeling bereaved at this time, and to take asinine pot shots at us and our city at this time is beneath contempt.

This jackass needs a job far, far removed from any microphone. Maybe fixing sewers?

Disgraceful.

#43 Disgusted
June 14 2013, 08:59PM

Disgusting. Add my name to the list of those who have let Mr. Winters know my displeasure.

#44 Bruce McCurdy
June 14 2013, 09:03PM

"Hi and thanks for your email. Your input is valued, although I won't be able to get back to each and every email, I will read them. Thanks again. Ross Winters Program Director 102.1 the edge Toronto, Canada"

Oh, you're very welcome, Mr. Winters. I expect you will have lots of reading to do in the near future.

#45 Jamie B.
June 14 2013, 09:08PM

Gee, I'm shocked that the need to make a joke about what a s***hole Edmonton is takes precedence over a dead 20-year-old kid.

Eff this guy. What a disgusting lack of humanity.

#46 The Beaker
June 14 2013, 09:21PM

Congratulations all. We've just accomplished exactly what this guy wanted. Attention. Seriously this dudes got more attention for his asinine joke that whole Pelss story has got so far.

#47 MarcusBillius
June 14 2013, 09:25PM
The Beaker wrote:

Bingo.

Blundell thrives off this kind of attention. It's a schlock jock morning show, like Paul Brown but even more classless.

#48 Darren Martin
June 14 2013, 09:30PM

Unreal. This guy's dad jerked off in a flower bed and they raised a bloomin idiot.

#49 RexLibris
June 14 2013, 09:32PM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

There was some discussion on CBC this morning or last evening (yeah, my memory is getting that bad) about this same media/public effect: is the public getting so desensitized to poverty/abuse-of-power/crime/etc that we simply shrug and accept it as a form of entertainment in the same vein as "reality television"?

If somebody wants to crack wise about this to their friends at a bar, so be it. But when did a professional's resume expand to include this kind of thing?

Sadly, I think some program directors feel that this kind of "loose cannon" approach does attract listeners.

If one really wants to get the station's attention, find out the principle sponsors of the show and send CC Winters in an email expressing your feelings about this idiot.

#50 MK
June 14 2013, 09:34PM

Email sent. Felt ill after reading this. I can't picture how this guy thought this could be at all humorous. What a moron...