THE MADNESS BEGINS....

Jason Gregor
June 18 2013 04:13PM

The free agent frenzy officially began yesterday with reports the Flyers had signed Mark Streit to a four-year, $21 million contract. The Flyers can't officially announce the signing until they shed some salary, which should happen when they buyout Daniel Briere and Ilya Bryzgalov.

Briere is an easy buyout. His cap hit is $6.5 million for the next two seasons, but he's only owed $5 million in cash over both years. The Flyers can buy him out for only $3.33 million, while Brzgalov is a much larger hit at $23 million. Despite the massive payment to Bryzgalov you can expect the Flyers to eat that since they desperately need some cap space.

Briere will garner a lot of interest, but will Bryzgalov get another NHL deal?

I think a lot of teams will give Briere a two-year deal, and if Mike Smith doesn't re-sign in Phoenix I could see Bryzgalov return to the desert.

Prior to his entertaining and not overly productive seasons in Philly, Bryzgalov was very good for the Coyotes. His SV% in his four seasons was .921, .906, .920 and .921. Bryzgalov is only 32, and while a KHL team could offer him more money, I suspect he feels he has something to prove in the NHL.

If Smith leaves Phoenix and Mikka Kiprusoff officially retires, would the Flames or Coyotes offer him a contract? The Flames are high on Kari Rammo, but would they enter the season with Rammo and Joey Macdonald?

QUICK HITS

  • Streit is 35 years old and not a great defender, but he can move the puck and his contract illustrates that free agents will still get paid this summer. I suspect the most sought after guys will still get large contracts, but I'm curious to see if teams can show some restraint/patience and sign lesser-lights to more reasonalbe contracts?
     
  • With Teemu Hartikainen signing in the KHL would the Oilers re-sign Ryan Jones? The two sides are expected to talk again next week, but at this point it seems like the Oilers will look elsewhere. The Oilers will be hard-pressed to find a guy who will score 17/18 goals for the same price point as Jones.
     
  •  Could Jones turn out to be the next Curtis Glencross? Glencross signed for $1.3 million/year for three years while the Oilers failed to sway Marian Hossa to sign in Edmonton. I'm not saying Jones will score 25, but considering the solid 3rd line players the Oilers have let leave Edmonton (or traded away) in the past five years it is a concern.
     
  • David Krejci is one of the most underrated passers in the NHL. Watch him closely, his passing skills are incredible.
     
  • Solid deal for the LA Kings. They signed Slava Voynov for $25 million over six years. Would you rather have Streit for the next four years at $5.25 or the 23-year-old Voynov. The Voynov and Roman Josi ($28 million over 7 years) could be good comparables for the Oilers and Justin Schultz.
     
  • I don't see any reason that Schultz should get much more than Voynov, unless Schultz has a huge season. Voynov's two-way game is better than Schultz's at this point.
     
  • The Oilers need at least two significant upgrades on their blueline if they want to compete next year. At this point I wouldn't put Oscar Klefbom in the "significant" category, mainly because it would be a big risk to have two players in your top-four with fewer than 50 combined NHL games.
     
  • The Oilers haven't had any luck landing UFA goalies. They've tried to sign Eric Hartzell (signed with Penguins), Antti Raanta (Chicago) and Joacim Eriksson (Vancouver), but couldn't land one. They are looking to sign a #2 and #3 to build some organizational depth. Anton Khudobin, Tukka Rask's backup is unrestricted and he'd be a great fit for the Oilers.
     
  • Dallas Eakins wanted to spend last week talking with Steve Smith and Kelly Buchberger to get a sense of their strengths and weaknesses and decide if they would be part of his staff. I'd be surprised if both were on his staff. He will add an associate coach with NHL experience, and most likely one assistant. It would make sense to announce the staff before the draft and especially free agency. I keep hearing Paul Maurice is a strong candidate.

RECENTLY BY JASON GREGOR

 

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
One of Canada's most versatile sports personalities. Jason hosts The Jason Gregor Show, weekdays from 2 to 6 p.m., on TSN 1260, and he writes a column every Monday in the Edmonton Journal. You can follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/JasonGregor
Avatar
#51 DSF
June 18 2013, 09:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Butters wrote:

@DSF, Schultz is a PP specialist who needs to learn how to play defense.

I think the only guarantee is the price of players is going to go up. 7 million per for Streit is ridiculous.

I think the Oilers should be preparing Schultz JR extension as soon as it is possible(some time next year I believe) If they have to overpay in the short term, it may be worth it, PP specialist or no.

All depends on the amount.

Jack Johnson's cap hit is $4.35M.

Somewhere around that number might work.

Avatar
#52 OilClog
June 18 2013, 09:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

If Schultz Jr goes and has a similar season to the one he just had, his point production will be equal if not more then what voynov has posted.

Also with a more complete defense corps, a full training camp, a system in place. A late season, rookie collapse in his own zone, may only happen for a game or two and not weeks on end. Look what he did in the AHL in a built system, he still won the damn Defense man of the year award. He had games at points in the season for the Oilers where he took over when he was on the ice. This will happen more and more, then all of a sudden the Voynov contract would be a freaking steal.

If Schultz Jr would sign the Slava Contract, you do it in a heart beat. Schultz will be the better two way defender when it's all said and done. Why you ask DSF? because he will have greater control of the puck as his confidence in the NHL matures. He already has a greater understanding of what to do with the puck then Slava does, a better first pass, a better shot. He will if injuries don't become a concern, be a better overall defenseman then Voynov imo.

Schultz has the capabilities to reach the Ketang, OEL, yadda yadda levels. Yoynov will be the top card the next level down.

Avatar
#53 jake
June 18 2013, 09:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

With the back-diving deals done now in this new CBA, cap hits per player will go up...may take a couple of seasons for teams to adjust to this thinking. Zajac, Perry, Getzlaf, Streit etc....the madness has already started.

Avatar
#54 OilClog
June 18 2013, 09:29PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

#7, MPS, Horcoff, Klefbom, Raajala

Letang, Neal.

Avatar
#55 madjam
June 18 2013, 09:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Butters wrote:

@ Citizen David Agree 100% about picking Lindholm. If he is on the board and the Oilers pass him up, that will provide ON with conversation fodder for years.

So you both seem to sgree we should take a thoroughbred BPA in Lindholm over a Clydesdale with a questionable shot like Nurse ? Are you sure ?

Avatar
#56 DSF
June 18 2013, 09:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
OilClog wrote:

If Schultz Jr goes and has a similar season to the one he just had, his point production will be equal if not more then what voynov has posted.

Also with a more complete defense corps, a full training camp, a system in place. A late season, rookie collapse in his own zone, may only happen for a game or two and not weeks on end. Look what he did in the AHL in a built system, he still won the damn Defense man of the year award. He had games at points in the season for the Oilers where he took over when he was on the ice. This will happen more and more, then all of a sudden the Voynov contract would be a freaking steal.

If Schultz Jr would sign the Slava Contract, you do it in a heart beat. Schultz will be the better two way defender when it's all said and done. Why you ask DSF? because he will have greater control of the puck as his confidence in the NHL matures. He already has a greater understanding of what to do with the puck then Slava does, a better first pass, a better shot. He will if injuries don't become a concern, be a better overall defenseman then Voynov imo.

Schultz has the capabilities to reach the Ketang, OEL, yadda yadda levels. Yoynov will be the top card the next level down.

Look.

Schultz is a great prospect but paying him now for things you think might happen next season is just silly.

And suggesting he is a slam dunk to be a better player than Voynov is equally as silly.

Bear in mind that Voynov and Schultz are the same age.

Also bear in mind that Voynov , when we was 20 years old, scored 15G and 51P in the AHL.

When he was 20.

Schultz had a nice run in the AHL but in the NHL last season Schultz only had 2 more points and was -17.

Voynov was +14.

One of these is not like the other.

Avatar
#57 a lg dubl dubl
June 18 2013, 09:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

#7, Petry, and Maracin for Letang

Avatar
#58 a lg dubl dubl
June 18 2013, 10:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@DSF

Didn't Shultz win the rookie of the year in the AHL?

Last season LA was the far better team as a whole over the Oilers, of course JS would have a worse +/-

Voynov is good and maybe great soon, but don't hate Shultz just because he didn't go to the Canucks mmkay

Avatar
#59 DSF
June 18 2013, 10:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
a lg dubl dubl wrote:

Didn't Shultz win the rookie of the year in the AHL?

Last season LA was the far better team as a whole over the Oilers, of course JS would have a worse +/-

Voynov is good and maybe great soon, but don't hate Shultz just because he didn't go to the Canucks mmkay

Schultz is a fine prospect but, at this point Voynov is better.

A year from now, that may change.

Avatar
#60 Eddie Shore
June 18 2013, 10:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
DSF wrote:

Schultz is a fine prospect but, at this point Voynov is better.

A year from now, that may change.

Just want to make sure everyone has a chance to see this.

Avatar
#61 Butters
June 18 2013, 10:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Madjam Yes I would, and MacT would too I believe.

Avatar
#62 WhattaMike
June 18 2013, 10:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Who would throw Ebs to Pittsburgh for Letang has rocks iun their brains...

The Oil have the most best young top four kids for two top lines (Hall, RNH, Ebs, Yakupov)of any team and idiots want to break that up???

Letang is excellent and I like this player very much too but the Oiler will not and must not throw away the future for him. Not when the kids such like Eberle can score and score and score.

On here, people always bitched there was no offence enough with the Oilers and now that we have it coming.... the same people want to tell the Oilers to break some of it up and for one future $7 million dollar asking player???

Give me a break and start being realistic people. Do you want the Oilers to win the cup soon or are they still being bitched at in three more years time????

There is a cap limit dudes and getting Letang at that type $7 mill price per yr to go with RNH, Hall, Ebs, Yakupov, Schultz Jr, etc, per year... will make the Oilers start being in and looking like the same mess with the Philadelpia Flyers today.

Then if Klefbom comes true as a top player his contract goes way up and so on and on.BTW I would not trade Klefbom for Letang either...

If Letang is to be traded for then...the Oilers should use this #7 pick and the next yrs 1st round pick plus... say MPS and Marancin and only.... if he would sign for maybe 5.5 to $6 million MAX per yr at four yrs.

If not, I think that the Oil should trade for Tyutin or Nikitin or even Yandle.

Give me a break and come back to reality people.

Avatar
#63 Hags9k
June 18 2013, 10:39PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

What would we need to send FLA for Mackinnon? Gagner, Hemsky and the 7?

Avatar
#64 FSD
June 18 2013, 10:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
madjam wrote:

Nurse does not seem to fit the MacT. need for offensive production , seeing as his shot makes Smid look like Weber . A ploy perhaps .

Have you ever seen Nurse shoot live? Have you ever seen Nurse shoot on video?

Well MacT has

"I love that guy," he said. "When you talk about building a culture in your organization, he's the type of guy that you look to. He's a very impressive kid on all levels. He's got great toughness and there are a lot of other qualities to get excited about.

"I asked him if he thought his physicality could translate to the pro level. He stared right at me and said, '100 percent.'"

While Nurse is most certainly an intriguing prospect, MacTavish made it clear that there's been no decision at this point. He agreed that the Oilers need to bulk up on the back end, but there are other positions of equal importance that need attention as well."

Oh tell us more Madjam

Avatar
#65 Butters
June 18 2013, 10:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@DSF

Schultz is a great prospect but paying him now for things you think might happen next season is just silly.

Would you not prefer taking a risk on future value as opposed to present value on the decline. EG Gonchar @5 per?

I think the compliance buyouts are going to allow GMs to be stupid again and that will really mess up the market. I think this year Gags can ask for a truck full. I bet the Oilers wish they had more term on his current deal.

Avatar
#66 keilan
June 18 2013, 10:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Hags9k wrote:

What would we need to send FLA for Mackinnon? Gagner, Hemsky and the 7?

And 30M in small bills

Avatar
#67 Mr common sense
June 18 2013, 10:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
WhattaMike wrote:

Who would throw Ebs to Pittsburgh for Letang has rocks iun their brains...

The Oil have the most best young top four kids for two top lines (Hall, RNH, Ebs, Yakupov)of any team and idiots want to break that up???

Letang is excellent and I like this player very much too but the Oiler will not and must not throw away the future for him. Not when the kids such like Eberle can score and score and score.

On here, people always bitched there was no offence enough with the Oilers and now that we have it coming.... the same people want to tell the Oilers to break some of it up and for one future $7 million dollar asking player???

Give me a break and start being realistic people. Do you want the Oilers to win the cup soon or are they still being bitched at in three more years time????

There is a cap limit dudes and getting Letang at that type $7 mill price per yr to go with RNH, Hall, Ebs, Yakupov, Schultz Jr, etc, per year... will make the Oilers start being in and looking like the same mess with the Philadelpia Flyers today.

Then if Klefbom comes true as a top player his contract goes way up and so on and on.BTW I would not trade Klefbom for Letang either...

If Letang is to be traded for then...the Oilers should use this #7 pick and the next yrs 1st round pick plus... say MPS and Marancin and only.... if he would sign for maybe 5.5 to $6 million MAX per yr at four yrs.

If not, I think that the Oil should trade for Tyutin or Nikitin or even Yandle.

Give me a break and come back to reality people.

Letang is UNREAL. More than unreal. He's also 24 or 25. If I'm MacT I offer Ebs and #20whatever the oil have straight up to get McKinnnon. Then you make Yak #1 rw, sign Letang 10yrs/70M, and have McKinnon as #2C. Staggering McKinnon and Yak paydays and dumping Shawn and Alice and you solve you $problem too. J.schultz-letang, klefbom-petry, bang bang

Avatar
#68 FSD
June 18 2013, 10:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

If the Denver Post’s report on Sakic’s comments is correct that the would NOT use their first overall pick on Jones but on a forward: McKinnon, Drouin or Barkov

Avatar
#69 DSF
June 18 2013, 11:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Butters wrote:

@DSF

Schultz is a great prospect but paying him now for things you think might happen next season is just silly.

Would you not prefer taking a risk on future value as opposed to present value on the decline. EG Gonchar @5 per?

I think the compliance buyouts are going to allow GMs to be stupid again and that will really mess up the market. I think this year Gags can ask for a truck full. I bet the Oilers wish they had more term on his current deal.

Gonchar is not an option so why bring him up?

Why take a risk at all?

Schultz isn't going anywhere.

Avatar
#70 Walter Sobchak
June 18 2013, 11:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Citizen David wrote:

Didn't know much about Nichushkin. I went to YouTube and watched his world junior highlights... Not very pretty. If I was to rank him solely on the WJC ( which I don't it's just one tournament) I would have him in the late first round to early second.

If Lindholm is availiable at 7 we would be making a huge mistake to pass over him.

Nichushkin is where his in the draft because he's dominated almost everywhere he's played.

Go to you tube and look at Nichushkin U17, check out the American defender that Nichushkin repeatedly makes look like a fool.

That would be Seth Jones.

Nichushkin in his same age category is to dominate, in the WJC he was a full year younger then most of the players out there, it is why he's still using a face mask.

Scouts are dropping names like, Malkin,Kovalchuk Power forward.

If Nichuskin is available and we pass on him it would be the equivalent of passing on Kessler or Parise.

For your enjoyment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-s-huq65Y4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STnRSJ8ntYE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS-JhqBKj_Q

Avatar
#71 BC BOY
June 18 2013, 11:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Prudham's wrote:

I'm not 'saying' anything. I'm asking, and giving reasons why my question arose.

Schultz might hit those numbers, but he hasn't done it yet. I've seen teams in the past assert that they won't pay a player for something they haven't done before and is only projection. But I guess with his skillset, he enters into a category of player where you just pay him so you can secure him. Is that a sure strategy with someone like him? Is there no element of 'we want to see a bit more success before we pay out big long contracts'?

Again... just asking.

or you can do what Montreal did with Subban and sign him to a short term contract and watch him turn into a 7 million dollar defence man. If you have a chance to get good value on a young defence man on the rise your best bet is to do it.

Avatar
#72 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
June 18 2013, 11:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

So, 209pts, spread over 6 seasons, and Kris Letang figures he's worth 7 million per year?

That's a whole new level of stupid if you ask me. Furk no!

Avatar
#73 FSD
June 18 2013, 11:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Sakic tells post taking a forward

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=674409&navid=nhl:topheads

Avatar
#74 BArmstrong
June 18 2013, 11:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@DSF

"Schultz had a nice run in the AHL but..."

Outscored AHL opponent's D-men by 2:1 and you call that "a nice run".

Avatar
#75 DSF
June 18 2013, 11:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
BArmstrong wrote:

"Schultz had a nice run in the AHL but..."

Outscored AHL opponent's D-men by 2:1 and you call that "a nice run".

Yes I do.

Jason Krog was a great AHL scorer.

Look it up.

Avatar
#76 BArmstrong
June 18 2013, 11:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Next up, is Connor McJesus. wrote:

So, 209pts, spread over 6 seasons, and Kris Letang figures he's worth 7 million per year?

That's a whole new level of stupid if you ask me. Furk no!

I like him, but you're right - way too much $. A big puck mover is what's needed - and J schultz becoming Letang Light™

Avatar
#77 NewAgeSys
June 18 2013, 11:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Gautier, Mantha, Carrier, might be worth a look. Especially Carrier.

Avatar
#78 BArmstrong
June 18 2013, 11:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
DSF wrote:

Yes I do.

Jason Krog was a great AHL scorer.

Look it up.

Yup - great - half the points great.

Avatar
#79 Mr common sense
June 18 2013, 11:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Eddie Shore wrote:

Norris finalist.. Yea, I think he deserves some cake.

Damn straight. Letang is a pimp, controls the play and skates all over the ice effortlessly. Mtl is eyeing Letang, Bergevin played the Subban hand well.

Avatar
#80 Dave
June 18 2013, 11:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Yes, sorry that Jones got injured. He might be effective as a pest. We used to have some great pests in the old days. Hard to reinvent your game.

Avatar
#81 Tenho
June 19 2013, 01:03AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Miikka Kiprusoff, Karri Rämö and Tuukka Rask.

Avatar
#82 Miyagi Chopsticks
June 19 2013, 01:05AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Why would a team with cap space just trade for Briere? If you have the cap space, the 2.5M/yr for two years is more than reasonable. Philly would basically accept any deal as it would save them millions in real money and give them the cap space.

Avatar
#83 blake havard
June 19 2013, 02:50AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Eddie Shore

Thanks Mikey. Got it! ;)

Avatar
#84 madjam
June 19 2013, 06:04AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
FSD wrote:

Sakic tells post taking a forward

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=674409&navid=nhl:topheads

Colorado will be super loaded down the middle with MacKinnon . Stashny goes to market I would presume . Would we persue him ? By the way , I don't mind a Nurse type seeing as we don't have any efficient ones now (Fistric and Peckham ) , just not at 7th slot . Maybe MacT. figures Petry and J.Schultz , Klefbom and Belov can provide enough offensively and thus Nurse might be his preference .

Avatar
#85 Citizen David
June 19 2013, 06:48AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
WhattaMike wrote:

Who would throw Ebs to Pittsburgh for Letang has rocks iun their brains...

The Oil have the most best young top four kids for two top lines (Hall, RNH, Ebs, Yakupov)of any team and idiots want to break that up???

Letang is excellent and I like this player very much too but the Oiler will not and must not throw away the future for him. Not when the kids such like Eberle can score and score and score.

On here, people always bitched there was no offence enough with the Oilers and now that we have it coming.... the same people want to tell the Oilers to break some of it up and for one future $7 million dollar asking player???

Give me a break and start being realistic people. Do you want the Oilers to win the cup soon or are they still being bitched at in three more years time????

There is a cap limit dudes and getting Letang at that type $7 mill price per yr to go with RNH, Hall, Ebs, Yakupov, Schultz Jr, etc, per year... will make the Oilers start being in and looking like the same mess with the Philadelpia Flyers today.

Then if Klefbom comes true as a top player his contract goes way up and so on and on.BTW I would not trade Klefbom for Letang either...

If Letang is to be traded for then...the Oilers should use this #7 pick and the next yrs 1st round pick plus... say MPS and Marancin and only.... if he would sign for maybe 5.5 to $6 million MAX per yr at four yrs.

If not, I think that the Oil should trade for Tyutin or Nikitin or even Yandle.

Give me a break and come back to reality people.

You realize Letang would only get 1million more than Eberle? And that Eberle will be our second best RW and fourth best forward? Or we could have a number one defenseman. I don't want to trade Ebs, I'm a huge fan but for Letang I would do it.

Avatar
#86 K_Mart
June 19 2013, 07:34AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Citizen David wrote:

You realize Letang would only get 1million more than Eberle? And that Eberle will be our second best RW and fourth best forward? Or we could have a number one defenseman. I don't want to trade Ebs, I'm a huge fan but for Letang I would do it.

I'm not so sure I'd label our team's leading scorer over the past 200 games or so the 'fourth' best forward. But I like that the debate between Hall, Ebs, Yak, and Nuge is legit, no matter who what order you rank them.

Avatar
#87 Butters
June 19 2013, 07:58AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@DSF, I used Gonchar as an example of an overpay which is likely to have declining rather than future value. I would rather pay for Schultz' potential rather than Gonchar's past.

Take the Eberle and Hall contracts, it could turn out that in 2-3 years from now, lesser players will be getting even more. Overpay in the short term may pay for itself in the long run.

Avatar
#88 Eddie Shore
June 19 2013, 08:05AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Last year Pitt got #8, Brandon Sutter and Brian Dumoulin for Jordan Staal who also had 1 year left on his deal. Would #7, Gagner and Musil get you Letang? I'd do it.

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Eddie Shore wrote:

Last year Pitt got #8, Brandon Sutter and Brian Dumoulin for Jordan Staal who also had 1 year left on his deal. Would #7, Gagner and Musil get you Letang? I'd do it.

Carolina also was damn near 100% that Staal would sign long term with them.

Letang is going to be a free agent for the first time after next year. You better make sure you have a deal in place for a contract extension before you give up all those assets.

Avatar
#90 Twoskidoos
June 19 2013, 08:45AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@a lg dubl dubl

You're on crack.

Avatar
#91 Twoskidoos
June 19 2013, 08:47AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Citizen David

I don't agree.

Letang isn't that good. He's the beneficiary of being on a team with the 2 best players in the world...

He's not that good defensively. We already have this player, and his name is Justin Schultz.

Avatar
#92 Butters
June 19 2013, 08:47AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

If Colorado goes for MacKinnon I wonder if that puts Statsny in play. How about;

Hall Nuge Ebs PRV Stastny Yakupov Junk Linholm Hemsky Junk Junk Smyth

Forward lines would be getting there for sure..

Avatar
#94 Tikkanese
June 19 2013, 09:08AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I don't understand the Ryan Jones love affair. The guy doesn't hit. He is cherry picking most of the time(that's the only reason he had any breakaways, he isn't that fast and cannot dangle). A good percent of those goals he scored were the flukey garbage goal type, he doesn't go to those areas anymore.

He will never be a pest. He will never be a hitter. He isn't good enough to be first unit PK. Shouldn't a bottom 6 guy do at least one of those? He really doesn't bring much of anything to the table other than the flo and some tom foolery for the behind the scenes cameras. Time to move on.

Avatar
#95 Lochenzo
June 19 2013, 09:13AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I've got nothing bad to say about a guy that can play good defence and can chip in roughly 20 goals per year. Given the lack of offence from the bottom 6 last year, I wouldn't label such a player as expendable.

Avatar
#96 Lochenzo
June 19 2013, 09:20AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I liked MacT saying that he was going to be aggressive. A proactive GM can really give the franchise the leg up. But it can also hurt too. Dale Tallon was aggressive to pull the Blackhawks out of their decade long tailspin and he signed Khabibulin, Huet, Brian Campbell and Hossa to mega deals. The Hawks won a Cup, but with roster, they probably should have been in contention every year. There were some bad decisions in the mix and the salary cap issues took the team out of contention until they fixed their problems and rebuilt their depth. They've managed to do that and they're back in the Finals again this year, but I will say that they sure could use Andrew Ladd, a guy they lost during the salary cap purge, crashing the net against the Bruins D and a hot Tuuka Rask.

Avatar
#97 mr. common sense
June 19 2013, 09:32AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Citizen David wrote:

You realize Letang would only get 1million more than Eberle? And that Eberle will be our second best RW and fourth best forward? Or we could have a number one defenseman. I don't want to trade Ebs, I'm a huge fan but for Letang I would do it.

Exactly. People are hyperventilating and forgetting the golden rule of sports management. Its not the back of the jersey that matters...its the front. Sure Ebs is great but with him gone, we move Yak there and he is just as explosive. Letang is UNREAL....i think people need to see him play live to understand this...he skates like Coffey and controls the rush. he's still young and IF J. Schultz grows into what we all think he may be....we set ourselves up with interesting assets down the line. Quality gets Quality

Avatar
#98 mr. common sense
June 19 2013, 09:35AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Vaclav wrote:

So by your logic Paul Coffey and Nick Lidstrom were not very good either by virtue of playing with 2 of the best players in the world?

Bingo. Glad to see smart people exist here. Ask Lemieue, Yzerman and Fedorov what Coffey and Lids did to improve THEIR game....and ask Malkin and Crosby what it means to have Letang for them. We have not had an ace dman for so long in edm that people have lost their marbles and forgotten how important they are.

Avatar
#99 Tikkanese
June 19 2013, 09:52AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
mr. common sense wrote:

Bingo. Glad to see smart people exist here. Ask Lemieue, Yzerman and Fedorov what Coffey and Lids did to improve THEIR game....and ask Malkin and Crosby what it means to have Letang for them. We have not had an ace dman for so long in edm that people have lost their marbles and forgotten how important they are.

You mean we can't have a winner with a D full of mediocre soldiers like Potter and N Schultz?

Avatar
#100 Hunter
June 19 2013, 09:57AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Why doesn't Eakins look to OKC for his associate coach? I can't remember the coach's name right now...

Comments are closed for this article.