Edmonton Oilers depth chart: June 2013

Jonathan Willis
June 05 2013 09:36AM

If we were to draw up what the Oilers look like right now, before the draft and free agency and the trades of summer, what would it look like? What would represent “mission accomplished” for the Oilers’ brain trust?

As It Stands

The following depth charts are meant only to give an idea of depth at each position, not to mimic line combinations. An asterisk indicates a defenceman who can play either side, UFA and RFA indicate that a player’s contract expires this summer, while BO has nothing to do with a lack of deodorant and everything to do with the player being a possible candidate for a compliance buyout.

Forwards

Defence

Projection

This is where things get a little more interesting. I have axed what strike me as the likely names at each position, and indicated positions that need to be addressed over the summer in red.

Forwards

The changes here include the following:

Unrestricted free agents Lennart Petrell, Jerred Smithson, Ryan Jones, Chris VandeVelde, Tanner House and Darcy Hordichuk are all released. Restricted free agent Antti Tyrvainen have also been let go. Eric Belanger is the subject of a compliance buyout. Ales Hemsky is assumed to have been traded elsewhere.

Retained are restricted free agents Magnus Paajarvi, Sam Gagner, Teemu Hartikainen, Philippe Cornet and Mark Arcobello. Buyout candidates Ryan Smyth and Shawn Horcoff are both retained for the major league roster, while Ben Eager remains buried in the minor leagues.

There were a number of coin flip calls made here. Jerred Smithson is a viable candidate for the fifth centre slot on the NHL roster, though I have indicated him walking. Philippe Cornet is a player who may not be re-signed to a deal with an NHL component; I have kept him in the scenario above on the basis of age (23) and a strong second half but it’s entirely possible the Oilers send him down the line or sign him to an AHL-only deal (and if they choose to do so, that will be completely understandable).

Assuming no trades other than Hemsky, the Oilers have four slots to fill on the major league roster. The bottom three should be easy to fill via free agency; a second line winger in a power forward mould is the toughest of these to fill. Additionally, the Oklahoma City Barons employed a pair of veteran forwards (Josh Green and Jonathan Cheechoo) on AHL-only contracts; it seems sensible to assume that the Oilers will want at least one veteran forward with an NHL deal to help mentor and also to serve as a recall option should the need arise (while Anton Lander is a fine first call-up option, injury or uneven performance could rob the Oilers of recallable depth in a hurry).

Total contract count: 28.

Defence

Unrestricted free agents Ryan Whitney, Mark Fistric, Nikolai Khabibulin, Yann Danis and Garrett Stafford are all released. Restricted free agents Theo Peckham, Colten Teubert, Alex Plante and Niko Hovinen have also been let go.

The sole remaining free agent in this scenario is restricted free agent Taylor Fedun.

Again, I’ve exercised some discretion here. Mark Fistric and Corey Potter are both fine candidates for the six/seven role, but Potter is under contract at a cheap price-point while Fistric seems to be looking for significant dollars in a weak free agent market; hence I’ve opted to keep Potter. Yann Danis is a legitimate candidate for the number three role but is coming off a difficult season; presumably the Oilers would prefer a European free agent with more potential in that slot. Colten Teubert may yet be retained, but given his struggles to crack the Barons’ defence of late and the incoming class, he seems a good bet for departure. I should also note that RFA’s like Peckham and Teubert may have enough value for a trade at the draft.

The Oilers have three slots to fill on the depth chart above. They need to add a top-four defenceman, ideally a top-pairing defenceman, and that’s going to be very difficult indeed. Additionally, they need to overhaul their goaltending behind Devan Dubnyk. Finally, at the AHL level they have a good group of young defenders that are also legitimate recall candidates (I count Klefbom, Fedun and Marincin) so they may not need another defenceman on a two-way deal, but it seems likely that a veteran on an AHL contract could be brought in to stabilize a young defence corps. Both current UFA Garrett Stafford and Randy Jones (on an AHL contract) might fit the bill there.

Total contract count: 19, meaning that at all positions the Oilers would have used 47 of the 50 slots they have on their reserve list. 

Recently around the Nation Network

There are lots of interesting names on Justin Azevedo's Eastern Conference Compliance Buyout Candidates, including veteran Albertan Scottie Upshall:

Upshall was signed after a 34-point season, so it's unlikely Dale Tallon had any thoughts that he'd be an "offensive" contributor. Even so, the 10 points he's put up in Florida since signing there suggests to me that his tenure in Sunrise may be ending. Add to that his less-than-stellar underlying numbers and the Panthers' need for a top-9 roster spot and I don't see a way he isn't a UFA come July 5th.

Click the link above to read the whole piece, or feel free check out some of my other pieces here:

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
Jonathan Willis is a freelance writer. He currently works for Oilers Nation, the Edmonton Journal and Bleacher Report. He's co-written three books and worked for myriad websites, including Grantland, ESPN, The Score, and Hockey Prospectus. He was previously the founder and managing editor of Copper & Blue.
Avatar
#51 The Other Ron Burgundy
June 05 2013, 01:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I still think Horcoff and Schultz Sr. for Yandle and something (e.g. the rights to Boyd Gordon (UFA))not much) has some merit. Phoenix is one team that would place some value on Horc's high cap hit and low salary. Yandle's cap hit is 5.25 (250 k less than Horc), but he actually gets paid more than that for the next 3 years.

Phoenix also has a ton of free agents, so Horc gives them a center that they probably need (with Gordon and others leaving). Schultz fills the hole on D, or rather, allows one of the PHX prospects (Rundblad, Gormley, Murphy, etc etc) to move into Yandle's spot and Schultz to fill a different hole. If they don't like/need him though then maybe you add Gagner into the mix in return for one of their D prospects. Just seems like there is a fit here somewhere, and then you're not paying Horc to leave.

Avatar
#52 Ever the Optimist
June 05 2013, 01:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@WhattaMike

The big problem I see with having so many great talents (who knew talent was a problem) is the salary cap. By moving Eberle now it spaces out things a little better for us and address the need at center. I just feel this will allow us to be better at other positions and be more competitive overall.

Avatar
#56 The Other Ron Burgundy
June 05 2013, 01:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@Jonathan Willis

Hey are you saying Horc isn't a #1 Center?!?

Hahah - thought it was 2010 for a moment.

That's an overpay for sure for a guy everyone knows isn't long for the team (due to their depth, salary structure and financial constraints). I also suspect their off-season mantra may be different than their deadline mantra when, if memory serves, they still had a shot at the playoffs.

In any case, there are 2 obvious pieces in Horc and Yandle. Does Horc and Gags get it done? Some will debate (or have, at length, debated) whether they are "impact" but its not outlandish. Leaves us wafer-thin up the middle but takes about a net 5 million off the books, which we could probably use to sign both a 2C and a 3C, who keep the seat warm for Monahan (if there's a god) or whoever we draft.

Still leaves lots of holes to fill, but Khudobin would make a good 1B and we've talked about the depth available in free agency at LW. Are we at 8 bold moves yet?

Avatar
#57 DSF
June 05 2013, 02:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props
Jonathan Willis wrote:

Really? How is that Mueller took 104 faceoffs this season, than? That's half the number of Ryan Smyth, who spent less than half of the season as a fourth-line centre. Did Kevin Dineen only use the line on shifts that didn't include faceoffs?

The depth chart at centre for much of this year was Goc, Shore, Matthias, Smithson (with Weiss out). Bjugstad got 11 games in the role, and Mueller (judging by faceoffs) probably played 5-6 games up the middle.

Now, let's talk prospects:

Jonathan Huberdeau is a sophomore NHL'er who has never played centre at the NHL level. Nick Bjugstad had one point and went minus-8 over 11 games (along with a 40% win rate in the circle); the Panthers were out-shot by an average of 32-22 with him on the ice over an average hour of 5v5 play. I like Shore and Howden both, but it's probably also worth noting that Howden was pointless and went minus-11 in 18 games in Florida. It's also worth noting Howden's a winger.

So, yeah. They're in a terrible short-term position at centre. If they re-sign Weiss and draft MacKinnon, they can run Weiss/MacKinnon/Shore, and that still won't be as good next year as RNH/Gagner/Horcoff (though long-term MacKinnon is going to be brilliant).

It's worth nothing that Mueller and Howden are both listed as centres on Florida's depth chart.

Due to organizational depth at centre, Mueller has been alternately used a a centre or winger in Phoenix, Colorado and Florida.

So, let me get this straight...in your short term scenario Goc and Matthias just vanish?

If they re-sign Weiss, draft MacKinnon and keep Goc and Matthias, their centre depth would be:

Weiss McKinnon Shore Goc Matthias Huberdeau (if required) Bjugstad Howden

And, suggesting you can draw any conclusions about players who played a handful of games at the end of a season when their team was devastated by injury at forward, defense and in goal is hardly convincing.

While it's likely Hopkins should be better than MacKinnon in year one, I certainly don't think that's guaranteed.

And I don't think it's likely that Tallon would give up a potential #1D to acquire a second line centre with warts considering he already has a plethora of other options.

Avatar
#58 DSF
June 05 2013, 02:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props
Jonathan Willis wrote:

@ DSF:

Also: the Oilers' centre depth is incredible. Look at this:

Hall

Eberle

RNH

Gagner

Horcoff

Man, Horcoff's their fifth-line centre! See how great a team can look when we just pretend everyone's a centre!

If Gagner and Horcoff weren't on that list, you would be right.

But they are.

Now try Peckham.

Avatar
#59 Ducey
June 05 2013, 02:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Florida is not likely to trade for Gagner only because of his cost and the fact they don't seem super interested in competing. Gagner would likely become their 2nd highest paid player.

They do have some cap space but will be close to the floor.

Tallon has shown a propensity to sign free agent vets who he flips at the deadline once FLA is out of the playoffs. I could see him using his cap space to help out a team with cap problems and pick up some more prospects in the process. This would likely use up whatever room he might have had for Gagner.

He would likely trade the Oilers Brian Campbell because of his big salary, but he has a no trade clause.

Avatar
#60 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
June 05 2013, 02:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
DSF wrote:

Unfortunately, his facts are wrong.

pot, meet kettle.

Avatar
#61 David S
June 05 2013, 02:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
6
props

~REALLY curious to see what NewAgeSys has to say about this.~

Avatar
#62 TDSM31
June 05 2013, 02:54PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
4
props
David S wrote:

~REALLY curious to see what NewAgeSys has to say about this.~

lol...me as well. He should be done typing in about 6 hours.

Avatar
#63 stretch14
June 05 2013, 02:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Good article Willis, I think you're spot on with where the holes are in the organization and who needs to be moved/let go. If I were MacT I would try and plug the holes like this:

2nd line LW: Lucic, acquired via trade

3rd line RW: Horton, signed as UFA

4th line C: Maxim Lapierre, signed as UFA

13th FWD depth C: One of Boyd Gordon, Reasoner, Steckel (signed as UFA)

1st pairing LD: Shattenkirk, acquired via trade

Backup G: Anton Khudobin, signed as UFA

AHL G: Bernard Starkbaum, signed as UFA

Avatar
#64 15w40
June 05 2013, 03:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props

@stretch14

How do you pay everybody?? You have 3 players starting next year at 6 mil and shattenkirk i can't imagine signs for under 5. RNH will be looking for a big raise in year 2 and Yak a year after that. That's half your payrole tied up in 6 players 3 seasons from now.

I haven't even included Horton in this equation and after this playoff he is in for a big raise too. Unless one of the untouchables are dealt, I can't see this math working.

Avatar
#65 John
June 05 2013, 03:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
4
props
stretch14 wrote:

Good article Willis, I think you're spot on with where the holes are in the organization and who needs to be moved/let go. If I were MacT I would try and plug the holes like this:

2nd line LW: Lucic, acquired via trade

3rd line RW: Horton, signed as UFA

4th line C: Maxim Lapierre, signed as UFA

13th FWD depth C: One of Boyd Gordon, Reasoner, Steckel (signed as UFA)

1st pairing LD: Shattenkirk, acquired via trade

Backup G: Anton Khudobin, signed as UFA

AHL G: Bernard Starkbaum, signed as UFA

why not just add stamkos, quick, weber, getzlaf and tavares via trade?

Avatar
#66 Manfly
June 05 2013, 03:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

people sure are convinced that Weiss is going to re-sign with Florida. he may not choose to do that and the team may not choose to re-sign him.

Avatar
#67 OilersBrass
June 05 2013, 03:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
TDSM31 wrote:

lol...me as well. He should be done typing in about 6 hours.

Haha, made me laugh out loud.

Avatar
#68 Pucker - B class
June 05 2013, 03:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

It's probably been said before but I got to say, I sure like that 'Last Game' Oiler score much more that what we had last off-season!!

Avatar
#69 Romanus
June 05 2013, 03:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
stretch14 wrote:

Good article Willis, I think you're spot on with where the holes are in the organization and who needs to be moved/let go. If I were MacT I would try and plug the holes like this:

2nd line LW: Lucic, acquired via trade

3rd line RW: Horton, signed as UFA

4th line C: Maxim Lapierre, signed as UFA

13th FWD depth C: One of Boyd Gordon, Reasoner, Steckel (signed as UFA)

1st pairing LD: Shattenkirk, acquired via trade

Backup G: Anton Khudobin, signed as UFA

AHL G: Bernard Starkbaum, signed as UFA

~this is so easy, I cant see why he couldn't make it happen~

Avatar
#70 OilClog
June 05 2013, 04:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
DSF wrote:

It's worth nothing that Mueller and Howden are both listed as centres on Florida's depth chart.

Due to organizational depth at centre, Mueller has been alternately used a a centre or winger in Phoenix, Colorado and Florida.

So, let me get this straight...in your short term scenario Goc and Matthias just vanish?

If they re-sign Weiss, draft MacKinnon and keep Goc and Matthias, their centre depth would be:

Weiss McKinnon Shore Goc Matthias Huberdeau (if required) Bjugstad Howden

And, suggesting you can draw any conclusions about players who played a handful of games at the end of a season when their team was devastated by injury at forward, defense and in goal is hardly convincing.

While it's likely Hopkins should be better than MacKinnon in year one, I certainly don't think that's guaranteed.

And I don't think it's likely that Tallon would give up a potential #1D to acquire a second line centre with warts considering he already has a plethora of other options.

McKinnon is going to be very good, but to say that he'll be close to as good or better then Nuge even in year one.. you're straight talking out your brown eye.. Have you not seen Hopkins play what so ever??? Hopkins gets completely overlooked for his defensive game, and superb back checking puck stealing skills.. why you ask.. because he's such a offensive wonder on the power play. So DSF for you to try and even remotely downgrade Nugent Hopkins in any sort of fashion, and suggest that McKinnon is going to walk in a be immediately more dominate then what Nuge has already banked.. you're talking out your brown eye.

When Nate has his 1st 5 point game.. lets talk about this alil more.

Avatar
#71 Quicksilver ballet
June 05 2013, 04:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

34 yrs into this and our Oilers today look like they have a good start to an expansion franchise. Outside of half a dozen kids, we can't tell the difference if the rest of the lineup is AHL, or NHL. It's really unfortunate nothing can be done about this gong show management group that put us in this place.

Avatar
#72 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
June 05 2013, 04:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
3
props
DSF wrote:

Unfortunately, his facts are wrong.

Anyone else noticing how DSF seems to be "propping himself".......

He only ever gets one prop and its almost always when someone calls him out on his BS and he's feeling insecure.

Just sayin....

Avatar
#73 Serious Gord
June 05 2013, 04:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

That is one depressing depth chart.

Buy outs are limited - thus to maximize the benefit/opportunity you need to buy out your most expensive players that you'd consider moving in order to maxmize the return in real hockey flesh. You only get one chance to spend beyond the league norms - this is it.

So the three buyouts are (I think you are limited to three):

Gagner Horcoff Hemsky

With no salary commitments attached we move them for maximum value.

Even a queens correspondence MBA should be able to understand that. (Whether he could figure it out on his own is beyond the scope of the program)

Avatar
#74 Smokey
June 05 2013, 04:29PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
TDSM31 wrote:

lol...me as well. He should be done typing in about 6 hours.

I think the nation should give NAS a guest article blog spot for a coupledays to see what his writing potential is. Or maybe an interview on Nationradio to see if he actual talks like he writes. Its a morbid curiosity of mine.

In all honesty natioradio should do an interactive round table with some of big blogs on here. Get er done Lowetide.

Then take NAS to the hockey draft with credentials to conduct interviews with players. Could you imagine?

Avatar
#75 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
June 05 2013, 04:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Jonathan Willis wrote:

Really? How is that Mueller took 104 faceoffs this season, than? That's half the number of Ryan Smyth, who spent less than half of the season as a fourth-line centre. Did Kevin Dineen only use the line on shifts that didn't include faceoffs?

The depth chart at centre for much of this year was Goc, Shore, Matthias, Smithson (with Weiss out). Bjugstad got 11 games in the role, and Mueller (judging by faceoffs) probably played 5-6 games up the middle.

Now, let's talk prospects:

Jonathan Huberdeau is a sophomore NHL'er who has never played centre at the NHL level. Nick Bjugstad had one point and went minus-8 over 11 games (along with a 40% win rate in the circle); the Panthers were out-shot by an average of 32-22 with him on the ice over an average hour of 5v5 play. I like Shore and Howden both, but it's probably also worth noting that Howden was pointless and went minus-11 in 18 games in Florida. It's also worth noting Howden's a winger.

So, yeah. They're in a terrible short-term position at centre. If they re-sign Weiss and draft MacKinnon, they can run Weiss/MacKinnon/Shore, and that still won't be as good next year as RNH/Gagner/Horcoff (though long-term MacKinnon is going to be brilliant).

BEAUTY !!!

Avatar
#76 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
June 05 2013, 04:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Jonathan Willis wrote:

@ DSF:

Also: the Oilers' centre depth is incredible. Look at this:

Hall

Eberle

RNH

Gagner

Horcoff

Man, Horcoff's their fifth-line centre! See how great a team can look when we just pretend everyone's a centre!

LMAO !!!!

Avatar
#77 oilersinsider
June 05 2013, 04:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Jonathan Willis wrote:

@ DSF:

Also: the Oilers' centre depth is incredible. Look at this:

Hall

Eberle

RNH

Gagner

Horcoff

Man, Horcoff's their fifth-line centre! See how great a team can look when we just pretend everyone's a centre!

This poses an interesting question though...

What does the depth chart look like and how does it change things if the Oil consider moving Taylor Hall to centre?

Hopkins Hall Horcoff ???

You could move Gagner to wing or trade him for a top 4 d-man. Or, keep him at centre on your 3rd line and have Horcs as your 4th. Perhaps too much depth there (you probably can't have too much depth) and a way overpaid middle, but food for thought?

RW - Eberle, Hemsky, Hartikainen ?? LW - Yakupov, Paajarvi, Smyth, ??

Need a 2nd line LW which may be much easier to come by. Much cheaper to fill these spots I would guess and you wouldn't have to over pay for a Top 4 blue-liner.

I'm not sure I'd do this, but might the Oilers be considering it?

Avatar
#78 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
June 05 2013, 04:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Jonathan Willis wrote:

@ DSF:

Also: the Oilers' centre depth is incredible. Look at this:

Hall

Eberle

RNH

Gagner

Horcoff

Man, Horcoff's their fifth-line centre! See how great a team can look when we just pretend everyone's a centre!

LMAO.........I just read it again.......and it's still fu&@ing funny !!!

Avatar
#79 stretch14
June 05 2013, 04:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props
Romanus wrote:

~this is so easy, I cant see why he couldn't make it happen~

Do you even do any research before you post or do you negative nancy's just like to shoot things down for the sake of doing it?

@John

How is acquiring 2 good (but not great) players in any way equivalent to acquiring the elite talent of the league? The Bruins are hard against the cap next season and Lucic's contract jumps to $6mil. St. Louis has an internal cap and has multiple high profile RFA's they need to sign.

Since when is making a trade for 2 good players in one summer deemed impossible? There was once a time where the Oilers acquired Pronger and Peca via trade in the same summer.

@15w40

The Oilers have $14.125 mil coming off the books this year in Khabibulin, Whitney, Petrell, Jones, Smithson, Sutton and Souray. $15.875 mil if you include a Belanger buyout.

Another $5mil under this proposal assuming we trade Hemsky.

And once RNH and Yak need to be re-upped another $11.250mil is coming off the books in Smyth, Horcoff and N. Schultz.

Not to mention the fact that the cap is going to shoot back up the second next season is over.

Avatar
#80 Lee
June 05 2013, 05:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props

Throwing Ales under the bus, eh jonny boy? Why bother trading away a 3rd RW that we'd have to look to replace. If oiler fans run hemsky out of town then I give up with this fanbase.

Avatar
#83 GVBlackhawk
June 05 2013, 06:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Lee wrote:

Throwing Ales under the bus, eh jonny boy? Why bother trading away a 3rd RW that we'd have to look to replace. If oiler fans run hemsky out of town then I give up with this fanbase.

Nobody is 'running Hemsky out-of-town'. It is management's decision to make appropriate roster changes. That might involve Hemsky or any other player; such is the way of professional sports.

Please stop blaming the Oilers fans.

Avatar
#84 DSF
June 05 2013, 07:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Jonathan Willis wrote:

Gagner's a restricted free agent not under contract past this summer. The Oilers can't buy him out.

Of course, you could also trade him for Dmitry Kulikov.

You know, the potential #1D who is signed for another year at $2.5M.

I've heard the Panthers can't find centres anywhere so I'm sure they're eager to trade for an RFA who is likely seeking $5M a year.

You could likely also trade Paajarvi for Duncan Keith since the Blackhawks will likely lose Bickell.

This GM stuff is easy.

Avatar
#85 GVBlackhawk
June 05 2013, 07:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Jonathan Willis wrote:

I actually quite like Hemsky; it's just a matter of addressing other areas of concern. I think the Oilers have a better shot of pulling off something like a Hemsky-for-Umberger trade and signing Dainus Zubrus than they do of signing Nathan Horton and hanging on to Hemsky. It's also cheaper.

Any upcoming articles on possible RFA offer sheets? Would you consider doing one that focuses on Artem Anisimov and his comparables for a possible addition at 2C or 3C? I'm not sure Columbus would match a 4 year $16M offer -- they might take the 1st and 3rd.

Avatar
#86 Big Slick
June 05 2013, 07:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Seems like Hemsky for a defenseman makes sense. But who? Maybe Streit? I know he is pending UFA, but maybe 5th pick to talk to Streit and if the Oilers sign him it turns into Hemsky and Oil gets 3 rd pick from NYI.

Avatar
#87 Taylor Gang
June 05 2013, 07:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Jonathan Willis wrote:

Phoenix is apparently asking for the sun, moon and stars in a trade for Yandle. At the deadline, Elliotte Friedman reported they wanted "Two impact forwards, including someone who can be No.1 centre."

Frankly, that's an overpay and I wouldn't make that deal. But Horcoff and Schultz Sr. isn't even in the ball-park.

So if they're asking for two impact forwards, is Hemsky and Gagner really out of the question assuming that we take a portion of Hemmer's salary? Maybe throw in Anaheim's second rounder to spice things up?

Avatar
#88 Taylor Gang
June 05 2013, 08:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I think our view of tradable players will be drastically altered for the better once the cap officially gets brought down. Lecavalier, Edler, Lucic, and a couple others maybe might become available. I'm actually excited for the offseason for once!

Avatar
#89 Newj
June 05 2013, 08:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Within the next 6 weeks management must make a decision on Gagner & Paajarvi. If an offer sheet is made and not matched compensation for Gagner - 2nd round pick, Paajarvi - 3rd round pick.

According to some that may be fair, to others that is larceny.

New CBA RFA compensation ranges:

$1,110,249 or below - No Compensation Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 - 3rd round pick Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 - 2nd round pick Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 - 1st round pick, 3rd Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 - 1st round pick, 2nd, 3rd Over $6,728,781 To $8,410,976 - Two 1st Round Picks, 2nd, 3rd Over $8,410,976 - Four 1st Round Picks

Avatar
#90 DSF
June 05 2013, 08:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
GVBlackhawk wrote:

Any upcoming articles on possible RFA offer sheets? Would you consider doing one that focuses on Artem Anisimov and his comparables for a possible addition at 2C or 3C? I'm not sure Columbus would match a 4 year $16M offer -- they might take the 1st and 3rd.

So, you're suggesting giving up a 1st and a 3rd for a player who was picked 54th overall 7 years ago?

Avatar
#91 Taylor Gang
June 05 2013, 08:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Newj wrote:

Within the next 6 weeks management must make a decision on Gagner & Paajarvi. If an offer sheet is made and not matched compensation for Gagner - 2nd round pick, Paajarvi - 3rd round pick.

According to some that may be fair, to others that is larceny.

New CBA RFA compensation ranges:

$1,110,249 or below - No Compensation Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 - 3rd round pick Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 - 2nd round pick Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 - 1st round pick, 3rd Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 - 1st round pick, 2nd, 3rd Over $6,728,781 To $8,410,976 - Two 1st Round Picks, 2nd, 3rd Over $8,410,976 - Four 1st Round Picks

Compensation for Gags will be at least a 1st and a 3rd. Nobody will offer sheet his qualifying offer considering his asking price will be anywhere from 4-5 million.. As for Paajarvi, it's unlikely that anybody will offer sheet him; only the very best get offer sheeted.

Avatar
#92 Quicksilver ballet
June 05 2013, 08:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Hemsky alone won't get you a roster player, or anything that resembles a difference maker. He may fetch another Ryan Jones/Petrell type, if we need even more support players. Every attempt should be made to use him as a throw in and maybe help Edmonton improve on that 37th, or perhaps even that 56th selection.

Ales has gone from the best player here 5 yrs ago, to just another soft euro, often injured/uninspired use to be. His best days are behind him. Get rid of him now before he turns into another Omark type asset. Hemsky and the 56th, for a late first/early second rounder. After all, HGH is still a banned substance (Hemsky,Gagner,Horcoff). Oilers could sure use 3 of the first 37 selections. Might even net the Oilers Lazar with that late first rounder.

Avatar
#93 Serious Gord
June 05 2013, 08:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Jonathan Willis wrote:

Gagner's a restricted free agent not under contract past this summer. The Oilers can't buy him out.

Can they sign him and then buy him out?

Just wondering. It's not my money but doing that would basically give the oil a reasonable quality player to trade with zero baggage to another team for big 100% player value.

Avatar
#94 Newj
June 05 2013, 08:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@Taylor Gang

Okay that makes sense, I understood the compensation was based on their current contract. I would agree with you on both accounts now that I understand the compensation. Thx.

Avatar
#95 DSF
June 05 2013, 08:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Serious Gord wrote:

Can they sign him and then buy him out?

Just wondering. It's not my money but doing that would basically give the oil a reasonable quality player to trade with zero baggage to another team for big 100% player value.

If he's bought out he is a UFA.

The Oilers have nothing.

Avatar
#96 Taylor Gang
June 05 2013, 08:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Newj wrote:

Okay that makes sense, I understood the compensation was based on their current contract. I would agree with you on both accounts now that I understand the compensation. Thx.

Glad I could help :) I'd love to hear your thoughts on if we should keep them, and if so what the price limit should be.

Avatar
#97 Jackson
June 05 2013, 08:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Wonder what it would take to get a player like Derek Stepan from the NYR.

Sam Gagner +

Avatar
#98 RexLibris
June 05 2013, 09:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@Jonathan Willis

These roster holes look depressingly familiar.

That being said, while the roster spots are nothing new, there are some signs that the responses to the deficiencies may be.

Something as simple as the addition of Belov to provide more time for Klefbom to develop suggests that there may be some unusual (read: competent) signings and additions made this summer.

The only spot that I think may not be addressed is the first-pairing d-man, mostly due to prohibitive costs. But even then, if it happened that the Oilers were able to somehow turn Hemsky and a pick/prospect into Tyutin I can't say I would be terribly surprised. Happy, but not surprised.

Avatar
#99 DSF
June 05 2013, 09:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props
RexLibris wrote:

These roster holes look depressingly familiar.

That being said, while the roster spots are nothing new, there are some signs that the responses to the deficiencies may be.

Something as simple as the addition of Belov to provide more time for Klefbom to develop suggests that there may be some unusual (read: competent) signings and additions made this summer.

The only spot that I think may not be addressed is the first-pairing d-man, mostly due to prohibitive costs. But even then, if it happened that the Oilers were able to somehow turn Hemsky and a pick/prospect into Tyutin I can't say I would be terribly surprised. Happy, but not surprised.

Hemsky at $5m is a liability, not an asset.

Avatar
#100 magisterrex
June 05 2013, 09:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Gagner is a 6th overall pick, is YOUNG, scores goals, and is only getting better. He is not going to be traded for a bag of pucks and some other team's castoffs. He has actual value. IF he is traded, that is.

I know it's tough to see value when your team has been on the bottom of the ladder for years, but some players actually are worth something on the market. Sam Gagner is one of those players.

Comments are closed for this article.