PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE

Lowetide
July 11 2013 07:42PM

The Edmonton Oilers have added some impressive names to their roster so far this summer, and still have cap room, assets to trade and holes to fill. All they need is opportunities, and they may still be out there.

BIG OPPORTUNITY

The Oilers this evening have $7.6M in cap room and have to sign Sam Gagner (and Taylor Fedun if there's money left over). They are also likely to trade Ales Hemsky and his $5M cap hit (although they could also make a deal while retaining as much as $2.5M in 83 cap) although that's not a slam dunk. It's probably reasonable to estimate the Oilers cap number (after Gagner's signing and the Hemsky deal) to be in the $5M range.

FLYERS STILL HAVE PROBLEMS

You'll recall the Oilers spent much of draft day attempting to pry Braydon Coburn from the Philadelphia Flyers. Many days later, the Flyers are still trying to find a way out of cap hell and the Coburn option remains according to Frank Seravalli from the Philadelphia Daily News.

  • Seravalli: "St. Louis didn't want to move 25-year-old forward David Perron ($3.8 million) yesterday, but dealt him to Edmonton for Magnus Paajarvi to free up much-needed space. Many believe the Blues could have gotten more for Perron if teams didn't already know St. Louis general manager Doug Armstrong was being forced to make a move to try and re-sign restricted free agent blue liner Alex Pietrangelo. (Flyers GM Paul) Holmgren could be in the same situation with Coburn. Don't be surprised if a trade pops out of the blue."

Would the Oilers have interest? One would think so based the number of conversations Holmgren and Oilers GM Craig MacTavish had during the draft. A Perron-Paajarvi style trade for Coburn (cap hit $4.5M times three years) might mean Edmonton offers a less expensive player to the Flyers in return.

NEW JERSEY HAS NEW PROBLEMS

The news today that Ilya Kovalchuk has retired to the KHL (for more money!!!) means Lou and the Devils are on the lookout for replacement talent. Again the $2.5M Hemsky (Oilers would take on half of the cap) might have real value, and perhaps Edmonton could receive some useful talent (Olesz, Loktionov) and  draft picks for future use.

ARBITRATION LIST

Adding to the fun is the new arbitration list, which includes four Los Angeles Kings (who have just over $5M in cap space). Jake Muzzin, anyone?

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

The Oilers spent much of draft weekend trying to find a trade partner. We know they pursued Braydon Coburn and we know the St. Louis Blues made David Perron available leading into the draft. On the other side of free agency, it looks as though some of those same teams are now calling the Oilers. Patience is a virtue.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
Lowetide has been one of the Oilogosphere's shining lights for over a century. You can check him out here at OilersNation and at lowetide.ca. He is also the host of Lowdown with Lowetide weekday mornings 10-noon on Team 1260.
Avatar
#1 OilClog
July 11 2013, 07:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

If we have to trade my favourite Oiler that has been since Doug Weight and before that Bill Ranford and before that Paul Coffey.. Then two things must happen.

1. Not within conference, he'll kill us so badly. Like all those before him. 2. No cap retain, there is a trading GM that will take Hemsky in full tag.

Damn, 83 should stay.

Avatar
#3 Fatbob24
July 11 2013, 07:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

See ya.

Avatar
#4 99thOilerfan
July 11 2013, 08:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Damn, 83 should stay.

True, but the weight of all those years, weighs heavy on both parties....

Farewell is such sweet sorrow...

Guess Symth is on a farewell tour too...

Avatar
#5 The Soup Fascist
July 11 2013, 08:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

As mentioned, Los Angeles is in a pickle. I know Gregor suggested that Clifford should be a target but would Jordan Nolan not be another guy to go after, LT?

I realize he has not put up a ton of points but he is a huge punishing player to play against. And he is only 24.

$5 million to sign Lewis, Nolan, Muzzin, Martinez and Clifford? Not happening. Even if they can do something clever with Willie Mitchell (and his 35+ contract), they are still in a world of hurt.

One of Clifford or Nolan should be available and they would fit nicely on the Oilers team.

Avatar
#6 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
July 11 2013, 08:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Hemskys never been on the market. There may have been rumours he was, but one of the Oilers better players is a staple here. It'll take a Kings ransom to free him from Edmontons grasp. He may have been available for a fleeting moment or two, but he shouldn't be now that someone needs him.

Be great to have a sellers market for 83, if not, let him be an Oiler for most of one more season.

Avatar
#7 horndog77
July 11 2013, 08:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I'd rather trade Smyth over Hemsky any day of the week! New Jersey does seem like a good fit for Hemsky with Ilya retiring, perhaps a Hemsky N.schultz and prospects for Larson.

Avatar
#8 Woodguy
July 11 2013, 08:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

Adding to the fun is the new arbitration list, which includes four Los Angeles Kings (who have just over $5M in cap space). Jake Muzzin, anyone?

Trevor Lewis was 3RW (and defacto 5C in terms of faceoffs taken) on LAK this past year.

Not great on the dot, but he played tougher comp and this past year was on 1PK with Stoll.

Was 7/12 CorQC this past year (Fraser was 12/12). Last year was 12/18 CorQC.

RHS too.

I'd take him as 3RW.

26 years old. 6'1, 200lbs

Was making $750K last year....

Avatar
#9 Bonvie
July 11 2013, 08:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
The Soup Fascist wrote:

As mentioned, Los Angeles is in a pickle. I know Gregor suggested that Clifford should be a target but would Jordan Nolan not be another guy to go after, LT?

I realize he has not put up a ton of points but he is a huge punishing player to play against. And he is only 24.

$5 million to sign Lewis, Nolan, Muzzin, Martinez and Clifford? Not happening. Even if they can do something clever with Willie Mitchell (and his 35+ contract), they are still in a world of hurt.

One of Clifford or Nolan should be available and they would fit nicely on the Oilers team.

I don't understand why people are talking about trading Hemsky and retaining salary it just doesn't make sense, we only have one year of that contract we should either trade for something of value or keep the player for scoring depth.

Avatar
#10 RJ
July 11 2013, 08:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

People want Gagner to sign here at a reasonable cap hit. But that doesn't mean that he will.

@Lowetide; what do you think Gagner's value as a UFA would be, especially since he hasn't hit his prime yet? I'd put him earning more than Bozak who got a 5 year, $21 million contract.

Avatar
#11 The Soup Fascist
July 11 2013, 08:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Next up, is Connor McJesus. wrote:

Hemskys never been on the market. There may have been rumours he was, but one of the Oilers better players is a staple here. It'll take a Kings ransom to free him from Edmontons grasp. He may have been available for a fleeting moment or two, but he shouldn't be now that someone needs him.

Be great to have a sellers market for 83, if not, let him be an Oiler for most of one more season.

Not to nitpick Q, but one of those "rumours" was broadcast over the airwaves by the General Manager, one Craig Allister* MacTavish. So either he is going with the "tear 'em down and build 'em up" motivational strategy or Hemmer will be moved out if there is a reasonable offer.

*No idea if Allister is MacT's middle name, but it really SHOULD be.

Avatar
#12 bwar
July 11 2013, 08:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Getting harder to see a fair deal with Philly being possible. What roster piece is a 2.5M Hemsky worth? Well if we are assumming that Philly wants to dump some cap in the move we instantly reduce the list of potential returns.

Hemsky + picks/prospects for Coburn? Well then what do we do with Nick Schultz? Unlikely we can send him to Philly and suddenly we become the team looking to dump salary.

Hemsky + 2014 1st for B Schenn? Is that enough to entice Philly? If it is where does he slot in and does Gagner become the next in line to be a ex-Oiler? Also this trade barely frees any cap for Philly.

Hemsky + ?? for Simmonds? Might be viable, frees a bit of cap for Philly. Exchanges skill for grit and maybe opens a hole in the depth chart for Matt Read. Depending on the extra cost could be ab option, assuming Philly has any interest in a 2.5M Hemsky.

As for other assets, I think it would be incredibly unwise to move Klefbom or Nurse. Gagner probably has a much too high price tag for Philly. Same with Smid. Petry might be an option but I'm sure it would have to be in a trade for Coburn and other pieces would still be needed. Our lesser D prospects might have some value but harder to pry roster player for just decent prospects.

I think there is a reason to trade came to fruition at the draft and as time goes one I just feel that a Flyers/Oilers trade becomes less and less likely.

Avatar
#13 The Soup Fascist
July 11 2013, 08:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Bonvie wrote:

I don't understand why people are talking about trading Hemsky and retaining salary it just doesn't make sense, we only have one year of that contract we should either trade for something of value or keep the player for scoring depth.

I don't understand why people are linking their comments with my totally unrelated drivel ... er ... posting.

Avatar
#14 fig pucker
July 11 2013, 08:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@lowetide in regards to coburn, he was slotted in philadelphia's top defence pairing but is really a second pairing defence man? he has size and can punish the opposition but he had apoor season last year and what about his shoulder seperation? what kind of compensation are we going to have to give philadelphia to get him? which pairing is he on in edmonton? sorry for so many questions. cheers

Avatar
#15 horndog77
July 11 2013, 08:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Hemsky with Elias and Jagr in New Jersey. That would be quite the line.

Avatar
#16 bwar
July 11 2013, 08:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
horndog77 wrote:

Hemsky with Elias and Jagr in New Jersey. That would be quite the line.

Yeah five years ago.

Avatar
#17 michael
July 11 2013, 08:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Bwar. Think outside the box. The flyers will have cap room once they put Pronger on the LITR. But I believe they get penalized for being over the cap before they can do that. I think and those who know can correct me if I am wrong. Philly can't put Pronger on the LITR and get cap relief until the season starts.

So they do have cap issues in a way. They need some relief to have wiggle room. Shenn is the target at 3.75 million. His next contract won't come close to that. Neither will Courtier's. Both should be in the 1.8-2.2 range. So Shenn moving forward appears the value contact.

They have a dog in Meszaros. Would they like to dump that contract. You betcha. Would I take that contract. You betcha. The price.Scott Laughton of the Oshawa Generals would do nicely. Plays behind Boone Jenner on that team. Compliance buyout for Meszaros and keep Shenn and Loughton.Put the screws to Holmgren. Its not like Philly developes forwards anyways.

Avatar
#18 toprightcorner
July 11 2013, 09:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Bonvie

There are 2 reasons to retain salary to trade Hemsky.

Firstly, if you trade him to a team that is already cap tight where they can add a quality player and stay under the cap, you could actually get a better return that has long term benefits for a 1 year payment.

Secondly, it greatly opens up the amount of teams that could trade for him as there are probably about 10 teams that could not add $5.5 mill under the cap and Hemsky is the type of player teams want for a piece to push for playoffs, guys who are rebuilding won't want Hemsky.

Hemsky with a $3 mill cap hit gives you a much greater return than Hemsky with a $5.5 mill cap hit.

I would much rather trade Hemsky, retain half his salary an get a solid 3rd line grit player with size then a mid level prospect and 3rd round pick and not retain any salary.

Avatar
#19 toprightcorner
July 11 2013, 09:11PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Man, Hemsky looks like a 12 year old boy in that draft picture, at least now he looks like he is over 18!!

Avatar
#20 EHH Team
July 11 2013, 09:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
toprightcorner wrote:

There are 2 reasons to retain salary to trade Hemsky.

Firstly, if you trade him to a team that is already cap tight where they can add a quality player and stay under the cap, you could actually get a better return that has long term benefits for a 1 year payment.

Secondly, it greatly opens up the amount of teams that could trade for him as there are probably about 10 teams that could not add $5.5 mill under the cap and Hemsky is the type of player teams want for a piece to push for playoffs, guys who are rebuilding won't want Hemsky.

Hemsky with a $3 mill cap hit gives you a much greater return than Hemsky with a $5.5 mill cap hit.

I would much rather trade Hemsky, retain half his salary an get a solid 3rd line grit player with size then a mid level prospect and 3rd round pick and not retain any salary.

exactly.

Avatar
#21 Racki
July 11 2013, 09:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Re: the cap hit available...

Bear in mind, this is with 22 bodies signed.. if Fedun signs (I should hope so!), I'd imagine he'd be on a 2-way, playing in the AHL, at least to start. By the time he was playing here though, something should happen to free the cap space (ex. LTIR). So it seems as though there is just over $7.5M to work with for one player... or $12.5M for two, if Hemsky's gone (which he should be, given MacT's earlier comments).

Pretty safe number to be working with.

Avatar
#22 Cody anderson
July 11 2013, 09:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I think we can easily find a trade partner for Hemsky even with his cap hit. I think we would be looking at a similar return as Horcoff without retaining salary. If we ate half of his slary we may very well either get a high end prospect or the big bodied gritty 3rd liner we need.

Another option I am sure they are looking at is packaging him with either draft picks, prospects, or possibly even Gagner if they cannot sign him to a reasonable contract.

Avatar
#23 madjam
July 11 2013, 09:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

INQUIRY : If Hemsky is moved and we eat half his salary , do we still have to claim the $5M cap hit as well, or does Philly have to ? I do not think it can be split , but maybe it can . What's the verdict ? Philly cannot take on much of any contract . I suspect it would have to be draft choice and prospect for Coburn or any other Philly player . If we have to retain any part of Hemsky's cap hit , it kind of defeats the purpose if we have space to accommodate him . Wait till trade deadline next season if he's not a cancer to the team . I just don't see much of an appreciable value eating any portion of his salary . Lowetide probably nailed it when he says patience needed in the Hemsky case .

Avatar
#25 Smokey
July 11 2013, 09:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
bwar wrote:

Yeah five years ago.

All 3 can still play. You got 3 guys who can carry the puck into the zone and reak havoc. If something suitable could be found in New Jersey I would love to see Hemsky flying in a soft eastern conference with no Rhegier in his nightmares.

I prefer he would stay play out his year. He was only reason any of us watched for 10 years. I think the Oil will miss him. I still dream of a Jagr Hemsky 3rd line. The hell with defence.

Avatar
#26 Cody anderson
July 11 2013, 09:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Who else would like to see the Oilers make offers to Cleary and Jagr?

The top 6 looks elite but not that big. A 3rd line of Cleary-Gordon-Jagr would sure get everyone's attention.

I am still scared that they may plan or running with Lander.

Avatar
#27 Racki
July 11 2013, 09:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
madjam wrote:

INQUIRY : If Hemsky is moved and we eat half his salary , do we still have to claim the $5M cap hit as well, or does Philly have to ? I do not think it can be split , but maybe it can . What's the verdict ? Philly cannot take on much of any contract . I suspect it would have to be draft choice and prospect for Coburn or any other Philly player . If we have to retain any part of Hemsky's cap hit , it kind of defeats the purpose if we have space to accommodate him . Wait till trade deadline next season if he's not a cancer to the team . I just don't see much of an appreciable value eating any portion of his salary . Lowetide probably nailed it when he says patience needed in the Hemsky case .

It sounds like it works in equal percentages...

Meaning, if the Oilers retain $2.75M of his salary (which is $5.5M this year, so therefore retaining 50% of the salary), that means they retain 50% of the cap hit, or $2.5M.

So the Oilers would be charged with $2.5M cap hit for 2013/14, and the Flyers would be charged with $2.5M cap hit for 2013/14 for Hemsky.

Make sense?

Edit: FYI, The Pens and Canes made a deal in which Jussi Jokinen was moved with the Canes retaining $900k in both salary and cap hit (his cap hit and salary are normally equal for his contract, so that was the basic scenario).

Avatar
#28 alllen
July 11 2013, 09:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
OilClog wrote:

If we have to trade my favourite Oiler that has been since Doug Weight and before that Bill Ranford and before that Paul Coffey.. Then two things must happen.

1. Not within conference, he'll kill us so badly. Like all those before him. 2. No cap retain, there is a trading GM that will take Hemsky in full tag.

Damn, 83 should stay.

nothing wrong with hemmer.he is a no 1 winger.

Avatar
#29 PutzStew
July 11 2013, 10:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Bonvie

You ask a good question that help me phrase a response to the question that I was unable to.

The answer is simple.....Hemsky is not nearly as valuable to other teams as he was with the Edmonton Oilers. He may be worth $5mil (overpriced IMO) to the Oilers because of the contributions some feal he makes, as well as the soft spots others seem to have for him, but to a team like Philly, he is a second line player, with heaps of past injury problems and is worth no were near the $5mil that he is contracted to play for.

There where some great fans discussing a players worth to different teams on another comment section last night. This would fit in that conversation.

Avatar
#30 OilClog
July 11 2013, 10:08PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
alllen wrote:

nothing wrong with hemmer.he is a no 1 winger.

ummm... thanks?

Avatar
#31 OilClog
July 11 2013, 10:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Lowetide wrote:

Agree. Hemsky was the #1 reason I got in my car to go to Oiler games for most of his time here. Hopefully he'll win a Stanley, but it would be sweeter if it were as an Oiler.

He will do what Doug did.. meet us in the finals, lift the cup above his head. Another 77years of doom inflict us.

Avatar
#32 bwar
July 11 2013, 10:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

With MacT stating shortly after becoming GM that is was likely he would move both Horcoff and Hemsky, and with imo Horcoff being the harder contract to move, m guess would be that either the interest in Hemsky is very limited or the asking price is higher than teams are willing to pay. I just don't see the Oilers getting enough in return for any trade involving Hemsky. I hope MacT proves me wrong but right now I have troubles conjuring up a viable trade where the only roster player we are parting with is Hemsky and getting immediate value in return.

Avatar
#33 horndog77
July 11 2013, 10:11PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Smokey wrote:

All 3 can still play. You got 3 guys who can carry the puck into the zone and reak havoc. If something suitable could be found in New Jersey I would love to see Hemsky flying in a soft eastern conference with no Rhegier in his nightmares.

I prefer he would stay play out his year. He was only reason any of us watched for 10 years. I think the Oil will miss him. I still dream of a Jagr Hemsky 3rd line. The hell with defence.

Yup, that would be a answer for New Jersey temporarily. Pretty hard to replace Ilya when free agency is in week two! Edmonton would have to eat some salary, but like some said the return would be greater.

Avatar
#34 Bonvie
July 11 2013, 10:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
toprightcorner wrote:

There are 2 reasons to retain salary to trade Hemsky.

Firstly, if you trade him to a team that is already cap tight where they can add a quality player and stay under the cap, you could actually get a better return that has long term benefits for a 1 year payment.

Secondly, it greatly opens up the amount of teams that could trade for him as there are probably about 10 teams that could not add $5.5 mill under the cap and Hemsky is the type of player teams want for a piece to push for playoffs, guys who are rebuilding won't want Hemsky.

Hemsky with a $3 mill cap hit gives you a much greater return than Hemsky with a $5.5 mill cap hit.

I would much rather trade Hemsky, retain half his salary an get a solid 3rd line grit player with size then a mid level prospect and 3rd round pick and not retain any salary.

Has it really come down to eating salary on his contract to pick up a 3rd liner.

Avatar
#35 Bonvie
July 11 2013, 10:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
toprightcorner wrote:

There are 2 reasons to retain salary to trade Hemsky.

Firstly, if you trade him to a team that is already cap tight where they can add a quality player and stay under the cap, you could actually get a better return that has long term benefits for a 1 year payment.

Secondly, it greatly opens up the amount of teams that could trade for him as there are probably about 10 teams that could not add $5.5 mill under the cap and Hemsky is the type of player teams want for a piece to push for playoffs, guys who are rebuilding won't want Hemsky.

Hemsky with a $3 mill cap hit gives you a much greater return than Hemsky with a $5.5 mill cap hit.

I would much rather trade Hemsky, retain half his salary an get a solid 3rd line grit player with size then a mid level prospect and 3rd round pick and not retain any salary.

Has it really come down to eating salary on his contract to pick up a 3rd liner.

Avatar
#36 Jerod
July 11 2013, 10:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Seems like there is very little patience with the fans. Oilers are in a rebuild they are years away from competing for a Cup. So they keep Hemsky or trade him not a big deal.

It comes down to building a team and keeping your job. Balancing act that hopefully ends up with a potential Stanley Cup like team.

Avatar
#37 Bonvie
July 11 2013, 10:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
PutzStew wrote:

You ask a good question that help me phrase a response to the question that I was unable to.

The answer is simple.....Hemsky is not nearly as valuable to other teams as he was with the Edmonton Oilers. He may be worth $5mil (overpriced IMO) to the Oilers because of the contributions some feal he makes, as well as the soft spots others seem to have for him, but to a team like Philly, he is a second line player, with heaps of past injury problems and is worth no were near the $5mil that he is contracted to play for.

There where some great fans discussing a players worth to different teams on another comment section last night. This would fit in that conversation.

If we were talking about a Brayden Schenn or Colin Wilson deal, he'll yeah eat some salary but 3rd liners, why?

Avatar
#38 15w40
July 11 2013, 10:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

LT; do the Oilers need another defenseman, or do they need more help up the middle?

Based on what is coming from OKC and what they have just drafted, I would say a centreman should be a target - not another defenseman.

B. Schenn over Coburn from the Flyers would make more sense to me from a roster standpoint.

Maybe they can get some picks and a solid prospect from Jersey for Hemsky and then turn around and flip some of those assets to the Flyers along with some other combination to come up with a deal for a legit centreman.

The Flyers now have Giroux, LeCavalier, Schenn, Couturier. The first 2 aren't moving and the last has a very low cap hit.

Maybe if you include Petry in the deal you can get both Schenn and Coburn but I say the centre is the more immediate need.

Avatar
#39 Bonvie
July 11 2013, 10:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

A buddy of mine is ahugebRangers fan and he said he'd trade Boyle for a 3rd rounder. I told him I'd take that trade all day.

Avatar
#40 Brewstercables
July 11 2013, 10:54PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

If there's a worth while trade that can make sense in my mind is Hemsky at half sallary straight up for Corburn. This fills a need for us in two ways, top shelf dman and one less sore shoulder in the dressing room. Lets not forget that Hemsky didn't play the last few games and left early in an already short season. For Philly they will et a proven scorer and a vet that could very well have a good season(contract coming up for renewal and all), and is known as a play maker through out the league. I'd even throw in a third or fourth round pick just to make it happen.

Avatar
#41 Pouzar99
July 11 2013, 10:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

If MacT moved Horcoff and got something back without having to eat any cap, he should be able to move Hemsky for something more substantial without eating cap. Hemsky is much younger and a better player with only one $5 million year left. He also has a history of being easy to sign to a new deal. The exception is if eating some cap buys us a significantly better return. We need a very physical bottom six guy for Hemmer and enough cap space to add another, possibly by trading a prospect. If Gagner gets signed and we add can a pair of physical bottom sixers with at least some offensive upside I will start getting very excited.

Avatar
#42 Devolution
July 11 2013, 11:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I like Ales Hemsky. He has been a good Oiler and a decent player but let's face it, he is a frustration. All sizzle and no steak as they say. I love to watch him move and carry the puck but the play so often just dies without going anywhere.

In his entire NHL career he has never been a point per game player.

I am sure there are many players who will pay pay Hemsky, but I think it is time he leaves the Oilers. Hopefully a trade will bring something that is a better fit for the future.

Avatar
#43 K_Mart
July 11 2013, 11:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I wonder, if the worst case scenario were to take place and MacT just can't find a decent trading partner to take Hemsky, would Hemmer really be that bad as a 3RD line RW on a team that is 99% likely to have 1 of the top six forwards out with injury at some point, and probably for at least 20 games.

Would hemsky be less prone to injury if he were only playing 12 mins a night? It would suck paying 5 million for a guy who gets 12 mins and likely only puts up 30 pts, but I've loved Hemmer for so long that I wouldn't be furious if he got stuck playing 3RW. I wonder... would he?

how much pp time would he get? does he have it in him to develop the defensive side of his game?

I'm living in lala land, he'll be gone by training camp and we will likely get a solid bottom six guy for him.

Avatar
#44 Devolution
July 11 2013, 11:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Lost my mind there. Of course what I meant to say is that there are many teams who will pay.

Avatar
#45 K_Mart
July 11 2013, 11:08PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

77pts, 53pts, 71pts, 66pts... and then the cricketing wheels fell off. 4 straight years of horrible injuries along with a decline in overall ability.

It is a sad day to know he is gone.

Avatar
#46 Devolution
July 11 2013, 11:11PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
K_Mart wrote:

I wonder, if the worst case scenario were to take place and MacT just can't find a decent trading partner to take Hemsky, would Hemmer really be that bad as a 3RD line RW on a team that is 99% likely to have 1 of the top six forwards out with injury at some point, and probably for at least 20 games.

Would hemsky be less prone to injury if he were only playing 12 mins a night? It would suck paying 5 million for a guy who gets 12 mins and likely only puts up 30 pts, but I've loved Hemmer for so long that I wouldn't be furious if he got stuck playing 3RW. I wonder... would he?

how much pp time would he get? does he have it in him to develop the defensive side of his game?

I'm living in lala land, he'll be gone by training camp and we will likely get a solid bottom six guy for him.

This gets us back to the Horcoff scenario. At some point you have to ignore the contract and just get the most you can out of a player. If he is a useful 3rd liner then so what if he is making $5M/yr. Would it be better at $2M? Sure, but that is not the situation. Lemons --> Lemonade

Avatar
#47 Ryan2
July 11 2013, 11:15PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
15w40 wrote:

LT; do the Oilers need another defenseman, or do they need more help up the middle?

Based on what is coming from OKC and what they have just drafted, I would say a centreman should be a target - not another defenseman.

B. Schenn over Coburn from the Flyers would make more sense to me from a roster standpoint.

Maybe they can get some picks and a solid prospect from Jersey for Hemsky and then turn around and flip some of those assets to the Flyers along with some other combination to come up with a deal for a legit centreman.

The Flyers now have Giroux, LeCavalier, Schenn, Couturier. The first 2 aren't moving and the last has a very low cap hit.

Maybe if you include Petry in the deal you can get both Schenn and Coburn but I say the centre is the more immediate need.

This is why I do not like the MPS + 2nd overpay for Perron. The Oilers have enough wingers, but no NHL caliber centermen outside of the unsigned Gagner and Gordon that will be ready for the start of the season. They should not rush RNH back either seeing as he is trending to be an injury risk already.

MPS was likely their best forward asset to move due to size, speed, potential upside and contract status. I would have rather seen the team move him in a package to Philly for one of their centermen.

Avatar
#48 Zarny
July 11 2013, 11:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

The Oil have to trade Hemsky. He's dropped to 3rd on the depth chart and will be disinterested playing 3rd line minutes. They can wait for the right offer though even if that means the trade deadline.

Phi doesn't have the cap space to take Hemsky in a deal for Coburn. Phi will want a D like Smid and/or a prospect and pick.

Avatar
#49 G Money
July 11 2013, 11:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

Because of Pronger and the LTIR and the ability to temporarily get below the cap with some AHL assignments, I don't believe Philly is in nearly as much cap trouble as it would look on the surface.

On the other hand, if you look at players signed, players RFA, and $ per position, I think Pittsburgh, LA, Carolina, Detroit, and Vancouver all look to be in deep doodoo.

I would think a trade with Philly will be a hockey trade, which will cost more than a trade with the other teams listed, which would be a cap-driven trade.

Avatar
#50 K_Mart
July 11 2013, 11:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ryan2 wrote:

This is why I do not like the MPS + 2nd overpay for Perron. The Oilers have enough wingers, but no NHL caliber centermen outside of the unsigned Gagner and Gordon that will be ready for the start of the season. They should not rush RNH back either seeing as he is trending to be an injury risk already.

MPS was likely their best forward asset to move due to size, speed, potential upside and contract status. I would have rather seen the team move him in a package to Philly for one of their centermen.

I would have rather seen the oilers trade MPS for Sid. We got a player who is better than Paajarvi. It's an upgrade. Beggars can't be choosers and we are lucky we were able to take advantage of St. Louis like this.

There is no way Armstrong ever makes this deal if he has cap room.

Comments are closed for this article.