Train with Gary Roberts & Steven Stamkos

Steve Dangle
July 19 2013 07:49AM

Gary Roberts.

Usually when you come face-to-face with a glare like that, it means you done goofed, or you play for Ottawa. Now it could be because you’re training with him and Steven Stamkos.

Wait what?!?! Oh, you heard me.

Gary Roberts as in the man-beast who terrorized the league for parts of three decade. Steven Stamkos as in the guy who sniped 60 goals in a season. You could be hanging out with these guys. Well, not really “hanging out,” per se. Allow me to explain…

The offseason is getting shorter and shorter. You can’t just let your fitness go to crap in the summer, because once the season fires up again, you’ll look like a pylon out there.

Enter: the last team standing

The Nike Hockey Facebook experience at www.lastteamstanding.ca lets players create a team with their friends and show how they’re dedicating the summer to training. The page has training videos designed by Gary Roberts, and Toronto’s strength and conditioning coach from 2002-2009, Matt Nichol. Obviously, these two guys know their stuff.

But Steve, what’s in it for me? I’ll tell you, whatever your name is!

Throughout the summer, teams with the best uploads, and the ones making charges up the leader board, will get surprise experiences and prizes from Nike. At the end of the summer, the team with the most points will be crowned the Last Team Standing and be given:

• Nike Hockey gear for a year
  • A flight to Toronto to train with Gary Roberts and Steven Stamkos

Let me say this again: You get new Nike gear, you get to fly to Toronto (I mean, unless you live there), and you get to train with the dynamic duo of Gary Roberts and Steven Stamkos.

If you have an offseason program, this is your time to shine. If you don’t already have one – start now. You’ve got nothing to lose, and a crazy amount of stuff and cool experiences to gain. The details are right on the Facebook page.

It’s all up to you. Nobody’s making you train or get fresh gear. Nobody’s making you get flown across Canada to hang out with Gary Roberts and Steven Stamkos. Heck, nobody’s even making you read this. I just wanted to let you know about a crazy opportunity you have for an experience you’ll never forget. Besides, think of how sick a new profile picture of you doing squats with Stamkos and Roberts be? “Oh these guys? Yeah. We work out together in the summer. No big deal.”

Here’s the launch video, featuring P.K. Subban looking way more jacked than me.

The sooner you sign up, the better. Best of luck, and if you get the chance, ask Stamkos what kind of shampoo he uses.

6b6884e175cda86e6828bab0537236ad
#1 Quicksilver ballet
July 19 2013, 10:57AM

Lol, i'm Daniel Lugo, and I believe in fitness. Is that the real life Daniel Lugo?

Have this idea i'm working on. I welded a stationary bike inside an 8' in diameter steel ball cage. Have pedal and handle bar straps to keep you seated on the bike while you're spinning/ horizontal or upside down. The gravity issue alone will insure you work every major muscle group in your body. Today, after the K'days parade, i'll be working on my Dragons Den promo video*

* So don't any of you somm-beaches ruin it by driving up Grierson Hill this afternoon between 1 and 2 o'clock.

I'M A DOER!

#2 TonyDanzaPervo
July 19 2013, 08:24AM

This sounds like the worst contest ever

Note: I am against all physical activity in all forms, except typing & complaining about hockey

#3 Kent Wilson
July 19 2013, 08:07AM

It wasn't a 34 year old lay about I'd totally enter this!

#4 BurningSensation
July 19 2013, 10:53AM

Can we all agree that whoever wins should donate the 'prize' to Mark Jankowski? (Or Ferland, or Wotherspoon, or Monahan, etc)

#5 rubbertrout
July 19 2013, 09:22AM

Let's get started.

*cracks beer and reclines

#6 mr common sense
July 19 2013, 12:06PM

big weekend coming up on the Gagner front...i REALLY hope MacT stays strong and doesnt let his emotions get to him...Gags is NOT a $5M player and if there is an impass...he should be dealt. He has cache in the market, imagine dangling Gagner/Alice/Smid/N.Schultz around...im pretty sure we can land a strong, tall and effective #2C and at the VERY least 2 rugged wingers.....and that is a MUCH better picture than what we have now........HUGE weekend...lets see what happens

#7 Mike Goerzen
July 19 2013, 01:09PM

Saw this contest yesterday. I'm interested in being a part of a team to win this thing. My actual teammates think beer drinking is off-season training, so they're out. I've been workout out like a mad man this year (45lbs dropped since Jan 1), so I think I'm working out enough to help put a team into contention! If anyone wants to connect, HMU on twitter @mikegoerzen

Lets do this!

#8 Smokey
July 19 2013, 08:13AM

MR. T would say PAIN

#9 Mantastic
July 19 2013, 09:38AM

anyone want to join me in Vancouver to train? this would be sweet.

#10 Truth
July 19 2013, 09:56AM

Probably quite the easy odds to win this one. Toronto, nah. Extreme physical activity, nope. Those days are long over.

How about a trip to California for a pancake eating contest with Penner? Or a booze cruise in Minnesota with Byfuglien? Those I can handle.

#11 Archaeologuy
July 19 2013, 10:14AM
Truth wrote:

This

#12 RyanCoke
July 19 2013, 10:25AM

So down to do this if it were just offered. Not willing to try to "win" this. Not enough incentive to spend that much time

#13 Kevin McCartney
July 19 2013, 10:51AM

Ack. I would love to join you Mantastic (what a sausage party we could be - I play for the Manthers!) but I'm in Europe this summer training my liver.

I'd just love to see those guys at work. I bet it's a great experience complete with so many tips on how to make pasta from zucchini. Hope this contest comes back around next summer too!

#14 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
July 19 2013, 11:27AM

@Quicksilver ballet

This made me laugh way harder than it probably should have, would read again.

EDIT: just read Fedun got a 1 year contract, anyone know any numbers?

#15 oliveoilers
July 19 2013, 12:57PM
mr common sense wrote:

Awesome! Props to you! Made it to comment 13 before doing a 'crazy Ivan' and going off topic!

#16 mr common sense
July 19 2013, 01:00PM
oliveoilers wrote:

Excellent contribution. thanks

#17 Jeff In Lethbridge
July 19 2013, 03:35PM

where's the free chips n beer

#18 Saytalk
July 19 2013, 03:48PM

The winner should donate his training session spot to Theo Peckham or someone still on the Oilers. I've seen too many pylon impersonations the past seven years.

#19 oilerman53
July 19 2013, 04:15PM

How about a contest to train with Sylvester Stallone and Carl Weathers on a beach wearing shorty shorts? All the while playing Hearts on Fire.

#20 Scary Gary
July 19 2013, 05:39PM
BurningSensation wrote:

This! Ferland could definitely use the training.

#21 Pass
July 22 2013, 07:18PM

Roberts is an egotistical jerk. You couldn't pay me to train with him.