RADIO GA-GA: TWO AT THE TOP

Robin Brownlee
July 29 2013 08:33PM

I usually don't put a lot of stock in the polls that David Staples runs over at the Cult of Hockey at The Edmonton Journal. In fact I sometimes mock them, but the results Staples is getting today for his latest question – Who is Edmonton's top sports radio host? – confirm what I already know.

That is, simply put, when it comes to the gift of gab in this market, Bob Stauffer of 630 CHED and Jason Gregor of TEAM 1260, both of whom I've had the good fortune to share the booth with as a co-host, sit at the top of Edmonton's radio heap. Then, there's everybody else – Allan Mitchell, Jason Strudwick and Mark Spector of 1260 and Dan Tencer of CHED. You can review the latest results of the poll here.

Stauffer, the uber-connected host of Oilers Now on CHED, and Gregor, who somehow fills four hours a day, from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m., with quality yakity-yak despite having a certified windshield technician as one of his co-hosts, will no doubt lead the poll from wire-to-wire. No surprise there, even though Stauffer and Gregor are as different as night and day in terms of style.

Both, however, obviously hit notes that resonate with Edmonton's radio audience. And both, as any good radio host tends to do, have their fair share of critics. Anything in between love and hate, as in the dreaded "like," isn't what drives big numbers in the radio game.

WHAT YOU SAY

Here's a sampling of comments posted along with the poll in The Journal. To see them all, click on the link I provided in the first paragraph.

Randy: Gregor is pretty good too, but for me, he says "you know" every 30 seconds. I've often that would be a fun drinking game. Nah, everyone would be hammered within the hour:)

Todd: Tencer is just ok. Far from good enough to justify the way he treats people. He also lost all favour with the fans when he basically lobbied on air for the downtown arena and anything else on the Katz agenda. Tencer also works for Katz, and this has no credibility as a broadcaster. Tencer also scored his gf, a oilers puck (vicarious much) a high profile gig in radio. The guys too young and too shady.

Peter: Sad that Allen Mitchell had to manipulate poll by begging people to vote for him. On a hockey site Stauffer should win...His show is all hockey. Best host, and most well-rounded is Gregor. He has a sports show that talks every sport, and he can talk them all. I find he is the best interviewer by far. He and Stauffer are the two best, but IMO Gregor is the best sports host. Bob is hockey.

John: I have a real hard time listening to CHED from 6-9 pm. That is a terrible time if you have kids. I wish they would put a show up against 1260 in that 9-12 am evening slot. As far as Jason Strudwick's show, I wish he would spend 90% of his time talking Oiler hockey instead of 90% of his time joking with Majeau. If CHED even aired a repeat of Oiler lunch around that night slot, they would own it. Bob Stauffer is definitely the best in the City. Vancouver does sports talk radio seven days a week, 360 days a year and we have far more interested fans here. I would like to see at least one more nigh time sports show in Edmonton for sure. Staples maybe???

WHAT I SAY

Stauffer, who gave me the chance to co-host his show when he was at TEAM 1260 before he moved over to CHED as the analyst to play-by-play man Rod Phillips on game nights, is easily the most connected media guy in the city – newspapers, radio and TV – and it’s not close.

For those who point out Stauffer should be the most connected, considering he works for the Oilers, that was the case BEFORE he moved from 1260 over to CHED (with a stint on both at the same time when he was doing Oilers Lunch on the TEAM and game nights on CHED).

Stauffer gets the dope because he goes after it by talking to GMs, agents and hockey ops people around the NHL, not because he gets it handed to him by team management, as his critics insist. You don't have to like it or believe it, but that doesn't make it less so.

As for Gregor, I think he's the best interviewer in the city, and by a pretty healthy margin. He's always prepared because he puts the work in, and he's quick on his feet – if an interview takes an unexpected turn, as they often do, he'll shift gears seamlessly.

More times than I can count, often as I'm listening in as I'm driving to the studio or a live location for my 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. segment, Gregor has rattled off an interview that has me locked on the dial. Gregor knows how to tell a story. Just as important, he knows when to let his guests tell their story without feeling the need to jump in and gum it up with what he thinks.

The other thing with Gregor is he's the straight goods. What you hear is what you get. While it’s a rule of thumb that conflict and differing opinions make for good radio, I don't remember Gregor taking a position on an issue he didn't believe in just to generate calls or drive ratings. Integrity, what a concept.

There are plenty of reasons Stauffer and Gregor are top of the heap.

WHILE I'M AT IT . . .

The landscape of Edmonton sports radio has changed a lot over the last decade and more changes are in store.

. . . I fully expect we'll see TEAM 1260 re-branded as TSN 1260 in the not-too-distant future now that Bell Media has bought in.

. . . Don't be surprised if SPORTSNET becomes a player on the local radio airwaves as well. Word is, they're after an AM property (maybe CKUA) to compete with TSN.

. . . 630 CHED is the rights holder for Oiler broadcasts for the upcoming season and then the deal is up for renewal. Both TSN (1260) and SPORTSNET, if they draw in, will contest those rights.

. . . 630 CHED has some work to do to fill the void left by Tencer, who is leaving Inside Sports in the evening for a morning talk/news slot. Say what you want about Tencer – I certainly have from time to time -- he's built an impressive resume in a big hurry.

. . . Strudwick is proof you don’t have to have the slickest delivery or good hair to make waves on the wireless. Like John Short, Strudwick can spin a story, even if he butchers names and the English language. TEAM 1260 got it right giving him the late night slot.

Listen to Robin Brownlee Wednesdays and Thursdays from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. on the Jason Gregor Show on TEAM 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
A sports writer since 1983, including stints at The Edmonton Journal and The Sun 1989-2007, I happily co-host the Jason Gregor Show on TSN 1260 twice a week and write when so inclined. Have the best damn lawn on the internet. Most important, I am Sam's dad. Follow me on Twitter at Robin_Brownlee. Or don't.
Avatar
#1 book¡e
July 30 2013, 11:09AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

There seems to be some kind of criticism targeted towards LT regarding his encouraging his listeners to vote for him in on an online poll.

I simply cannot fathom what kind of idiot could come to the conclusion that this is 'classless' or somehow an issue of integrity. My hope (for humanity) is that this is simply someone trolling and not a serious comment, but I suspect it is indeed a real comment.

Online polls are nothing more than a fun talking point. They are not representative, nor are they really meaningful. That LT saw this poll and encouraged people to vote for him is all part of the fun. David Staples would no doubt be pleased as more traffic would be directed to his post.

It's entertainment. It's all just entertainment.

Seriously, some days its hard to comprehend the stupidity that is out there.

Avatar
#2 TigerUnderGlass
July 30 2013, 09:51AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
Steve wrote:

What is your issue?

Lowetide was the only host who asked people to vote for him. It was classless, and showed insecurity in my books.

Stauffer had Staples on his show, and never once said vote for him. Gregor didn't even mention it on his show.

Those two let people decide, rather than try to influence them and get a few extra votes. It was bushleague for Lowetide to ask people to help him win. You complaining about Brownlee is pointing the finger at the wrong person.

Are people really crying about someone asking for votes in a joke poll that nobody takes seriously anyways?

Avatar
#3 Rob...
July 30 2013, 08:13AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Butters wrote:

Is it me, or does Gregor look a little like Elvis Costello?

I voted in the poll just for giggles and I picked LoweTide. It was pretty close between him and Jason Gregor. Both are top-shelf in my books. I gave LT the vote because I have yet to hear him talk about MMA.

I always thought a younger Paul Shaffer.

Avatar
#4 K-UGER Industrial Smoothing
July 30 2013, 09:21AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

I think we'll all agree that Kyle Chase is the best broadcaster in the city.

Avatar
#5 Ray
July 29 2013, 09:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

I'm sorry guys, but I think the most knowledgable, intellectual , and interesting one is Marc Spector!!!!!!...by a country mile!!

Avatar
#6 Scott in Grande Prairie
July 30 2013, 09:55AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

I think Edmonton’s pretty lucky. It’s hard to find too much fault with any of the radio personalities mentioned in this article.

Whenever I’m in Edmonton – actually, I was down there a week ago for meetings – I always find myself cycling between CHED and Team-1260 during its sports talk shows. We don’t have anything like that up here, locally, and both of those Edmonton stations are just out of range, reception-wise (except on cold winter days, for some reason). You are so lucky – Oiler fans in way-northern-Alberta are starving for the kind of sports-talk-radio you have.

That said, in my opinion Tencer has perhaps the “weakest” on-air presence. I’m a former print reporter (who did a few years of sports) and I find that Tencer sometimes falls into the classic trap of answering-his-question-while-asking-it.

Here’s an example of what I mean:

“Craig, what was your motivation for announcing your desire to trade Ales Hemsky earlier this summer...because, as we know, Hemsky had an up-and-down year but still has a contract that, if he bounces back may be considered a ‘value contract’ for the right team that’s looking for offence from a guy with big-time skill who, historically, has put together some decent seasons, or strings of decent seasons during his time with the Edmonton Oilers.”

And, on Tencer’s show a week ago Monday, I actually laughed out loud as I was driving home to GP. During one segment of his show, Tencer went into a minute-long mini-rant on how he couldn’t believe there was so hoopla over the royal baby ... but then quickly segued into a speech about how much of a “big deal” it was that a sign had been posted on the new arena site downtown. A friggin’ sign.

But I don’t doubt that Tencer’s connected ... and in the broadcasting business, that takes you far.

Avatar
#8 mayorblaine
July 30 2013, 10:41AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

i don't get the Nielson hate.

he has his moments but for the most part i think he is comical and informed. a certain amount of levity is nice. Anyone thinking of claiming he is not as mature as he could be, remember what site your on.

Avatar
#9 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
July 30 2013, 11:34AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

Is it just me, or is Stauffer starting to look like one of those giant man eating trolls from the Hobbit.

I keep it on 1260 95% of the time as well. I will concede, when i'm out of signal range I will try and stomach that pair of Marys from that other station. The more hockey conversation, the better.

Avatar
#10 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
July 30 2013, 11:53AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

I agree with book¡e...

We should all just weapon up, and Purge other sports fans we don't agree with. Go all Anchorman on those biotches.

Avatar
#11 Spaceman Spiff
July 30 2013, 02:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Smokey wrote:

And its awesome his resume is so great so he can move to the morning slot and piss off the older generation like he pissed off Oiler fans for 5 years.

I don't understand the credence anyone would give to a guy who never played hockey. I can't take the guy's opinion seriously. Guy was given the voice for radio, but the brains was lacking. I don't know how he will do at news, neither will I will ever find out.

He's the new Bryan Hall, and I haven't listened to that guy since I moved to Alberta. I imagine their will be those who get suckered in by a smooth voice, and ignore the lack of substance. Seriously at 27 he impresses me for getting so far with just a voice, but as someone pointed out voice and pizaz can only make up for lack of knowledge and life experience so long. Guys a kid and trust me I got no issue with that.

With all due respect, regarding your assertion that you don’t understand how anyone would give “credence to a (media) guy who never played hockey,” I think you have to be careful. If you base your opinions of media reporters – in sports, news or other fields-of-coverage – on whether or not they have any personal or professional connections to what they’re covering , you’re going to find that there are few you would take seriously … and that isn’t fair.

Remember the controversy during the playoffs when Duncan Keith practically broke his stick over one of the Sedin twins on the breakaway? The incident turned into a two-day tempest-in-a-teapot after Keith got into it with the female reporter, implying that she wasn’t qualified to judge if it was a penalty or not because she hadn’t played the game. And that was ridiculous. Anyone who’s ever swung a rake at their kid-brother would know that it was a penalty. You didn’t have to know a thing about hockey to know that Keith did something reckless and stupid. And he was the stupid one for implying that you did.

Generally speaking, media outlets don’t ask prospective hockey writers or beat reporters on whether or not they’ve lined up for a faceoff or not. Rather, the reporter gets the job based on their quality of their work, the questions they would ask and, of course, their actual reporting experience. Whether or not they played jungle-B for the Sexsmith Vipers or Beaverlodge Blades really doesn’t come into it the job-interview at a newspaper at all. Why? Because the sports media are (or should be) the fans’ representative in the dressing room. They aren’t the players’ representative for the fans.

Yes – there is obviously room in today’s media for the former-athlete-turned -reporter, but I would say they’re only there to provide a viewpoint as a “commentator.” They’re not (usually) there for the reporting and , even if they are there for their thoughts and opinions, they aren’t necessarily the people who have the best-argued opinions.

And they weren’t always welcome there. I remember watching a documentary on Howard Cosell a few years ago and he was a HUGE opponent of move by the networks in the 1970s to bring in former players to sports broadcasts. It was always his opinion that sports-journalism was too sacred to be bringing in sympathizing players. He bristled at the idea that sideline-reporters would be ex-players. He wanted that distance between the reporters and the players. The disconnect made for more objectivity.

Anyway, please don’t take any offense to this rant. I do agree that Tencer’s advancing because of his skills as a broadcaster … but there’s nothing wrong with that. That’s the business.

Avatar
#12 Johe
July 29 2013, 08:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

Gregor understands that the interview is not about him, it's about the person being interviewed. It's that simple.

And I like that you threw in a compliment to Tencer. Classy. Thumbs up.

Avatar
#13 Cory mercer
July 29 2013, 09:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

Gregor's charity work is what sets him apart. His love of lacrosse also is a huge plus in my eyes.

Avatar
#14 Smokey
July 29 2013, 09:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

Good on Stauf to be close to first. I call him the Oiler propoganda minister. He's slipped since the Team days. He was gold back then in his pre neutered no holds bared Ched dayz. I barely listen to him much anymore.

Gregor is the best interviewer, but I realize he is half what he was after the Fraser divorce. Him and Fraser were simply must listen gold before I went to bed. No one can deny Fras was the best sidekick. Best episode was the drunk one, still laugh about him and Meg tanked on the air. Pure gold.

Favorite for me has always been Corey Graham. Some of the best insights. Loved him when Fras rode shotgun. I remember the odd summer night when their was nothing to talk about and it was an hour about movies, TV, pop culture.

Lowetide is rocking it these days. Huge fan. He might usurp Corey Graham in due time.

Tenser. Everytime I accidently turn on Ched, and hear that voice I just about loose it. Good riddance.

Avatar
#15 Ted Sheckler
July 29 2013, 09:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

Gregor hands down #1. Gives his honest opinion. Can take sports and subjects that dont interest me in the leadt and make them entertaining. When interviewing someone from a small organization, sport or group adks them stuff specifically about them not generic questions, you can tell hes done research.

Stauffer was ok at 1260 unlistenable since he went to ched. Might as well be the jj hebert show. You have to be able to report honestly if you want me to pay attention. I'll read the oilers press releases and get my propagand from the horses mouth if I want BS.

Only entertainment I got from tencer was listening to him take calls from that east indian guy and try to decide who was less intelligent.

I like Strudwick when he talks about anything other than the oilers. Unfortuanaty hes in a town where 90% of content is oilers. I understand it would be hard to call out flaws in your former organization or team mates but give me a break you have to call a spade a spade at some point.

Alan Mitchel is getting better on the mic. He always has good content.

Neilson and Fraser - cant listen to anyone laugh at their own jokes, over and over

I would like to hear Guy Flaming given more time. Maybe working with lowtide.

I miss John Short

Avatar
#16 Rob...
July 29 2013, 10:39PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

I'm pro-arena but anti-Stauffer. Having Katz's mouthpiece threaten the city of Edmonton on air for over a month was too much. It will take a major Oilers winning streak to see me head back to 630 for the lunch hour.

With Rome being replaced by Allan Mitchell I have no problems leaving the radio on one station for the full workday.

Speaking of which, Robin, you've come a long way in comfort level on the radio. Even when running solo you seem to be finding the right thing to say quicker and are better able to react to lulls in conversation. Perhaps you're the reason Tencer decided to give up on hosting a sports radio show. ;)

Avatar
#17 Fatbob24
July 29 2013, 10:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Ray wrote:

I'm sorry guys, but I think the most knowledgable, intellectual , and interesting one is Marc Spector!!!!!!...by a country mile!!

You know that sarcasm is lost in translation right?

Avatar
#18 Butters
July 29 2013, 11:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

Is it me, or does Gregor look a little like Elvis Costello?

I voted in the poll just for giggles and I picked LoweTide. It was pretty close between him and Jason Gregor. Both are top-shelf in my books. I gave LT the vote because I have yet to hear him talk about MMA.

Avatar
#20 Dean Belanger
July 29 2013, 11:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

Nice move pulling that quote Robin. Real class act. I've often heard you're as dickish as you sound and that confirms it for me. Al has done a great job on his show whether you like it or not. He and his "fancy stats" may not be for everyone but he is a nice man who works his ass off. Your a real team player seeing that you share this blog and the Team airwaves with him.

Dean

Avatar
#21 Mike
July 29 2013, 11:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

Tencer is the smartest of all. Keep in mind that he is only 27 and already with an impresive resume. When staufford was 27 he was tree planting.

Avatar
#22 Bushed
July 29 2013, 11:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

Although he doesn't have his own show, Rob Brown is a guy I can listen to all day about anything hockey. His analysis is objective, measured, even, interesting, and insightful. I think he's better than any of the analysts on CBC or elsewhere on TV.

I drive several hours to get home after Oilers games, so the post-game show is always on my car radio. I listen closely to everything Rob Brown has to say, and am usually interested in most of what Stauffer has to say (although I don't always agree), but Tencer is way out of his league with those two guys. His attitude, arrogance, and lack of maturity don't add a thing to the shows--he just draws attention to his lack of experience and lack of knowledge about the game. He should be forced to do penance by sharing a 3 hour timeslot with Bryan Hall as a co-host.

TSN and Sportsnet radio in Edmonton will be interesting--never hurts to have more coverage and competition.

Avatar
#23 Gerald R. Ford
July 30 2013, 12:09AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

Pre-bought-and-paid-for Stauffer pwns that poll. By a lot. I really miss that guy. Total Sports was everything Oilers Now isn't—fun, controversial, and unpredictable. By taking the money and silencing that pirate radio voice, he's sort of leveled the playing field by mere attrition. It's basically a sea of "Meh." now.

Tencer is very good at getting noticed, I'll give him that. He's also extremely (and surprisingly) patient with, and polite to, his callers. I just wish he'd grow up and lose the smirking frat boy attitude. Also, a kid out of high school who rockets up the corporate ladder that fast doesn't do so unless Daddy makes a lot of calls to his friends. I'm sure everyone else in that poll knows the story behind this, but, no one's talking, sadly...

Gregor gets high marks for his charity work, and he's very prepared for his interviews. He also tries very hard to add some diversity to his portfolio, actually covering more than one sport. I'd say Gregor's show is more personal sweat, blood and tears than anything else on the Edmonton airwaves. One can tell that he works very hard to make his show succeed. Unfortunately, he's nowhere near as connected as those other two, and I find him a bit abrasive with anyone who even slightly challenges his views. He plays the condescension card rather quickly. Not that some people don't deserve that, I suppose, but he often sounds overly defensive if challenged at all.

Spector was great as Bob's sidekick. Like Hank Kingsley to Larry Sanders.

Lowetide: very nice guy, extremely knowledgeable, and excellent taste in the womenz. I'll always have time for him.

Robin: I will never, ever, walk across your lawn.

Avatar
#24 Gerald R. Ford
July 30 2013, 08:49AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@ShanePong

I forgot about Nielson. I cannot listen to that guy. Period. He's like a hyperactive beagle that someone's fed chocolate-frosted sugar bombs to all morning. Well, a beagle with an apparent gambling problem, as betting seems to be the never-ending focus of his show. Listening to him is like being on that giant tea cup ride that spins. You just want to get off and barf.

Avatar
#25 Abootzky
July 30 2013, 09:13AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

Bob Stauffer has been the best thing about Edmonton sports radio since John Short's heyday in the 80's. I even liked listening to him scream out Golden Bears hockey & football games on CJSR before the TEAM existed. Bob peaked with 'Total Sports' when Mark Spector was his co-host and kept it gong after Spec left. I'm very happy for Stauffer because he worked so hard to get the prime gig he has with the Oilers. The one thing I rarely do now is listen to him which is why I voted for Gregor. It's not perfect but his show is still must-listen for me. I also recommend that people really listen to Spector. He has improved a lot- to the point that I no longer feel like I'm missing anything by not tuning into CHED during his timeslot.

The rest of the TEAM's local programming has never been as solid as it is right now and I should know. I've been tuned in since Day 1 in 2002. I'm very interested to see what the next year brings.

Avatar
#26 Archaeologuy
July 30 2013, 09:20AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

I dont listen to Stauffer anymore but mainly because he's on CHED. I would simply rather stay on 1260.

I listen to Nielson and Fraser in the morning and Gregor on the drive home, but I rarely get to listen to much else just because of when I work. Gregor is without a doubt the best interviewer in the Edmonton market.

I would happily listen to Lowetide's show more often if I could but it conflicts with work. Great radio voice, awesome blog, great variety of guests and perspectives.

Strudwick is a great co-host and seems to be getting better as a soloist all the time. Funny guy.

Mark Spector makes me crazy some days because I often disagree with him, but I'm not supposed to agree with him all the time.

I think Gregor is probably the best right now. Paid his dues on the night show and nailed it when he got the big gig. I'm glad there's so much talent in Edmonton that we have legitimate choices here.

Avatar
#27 Jesse
July 30 2013, 09:34AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

So, basically you wrote a post about why you like your friends? I don't disagree that both Gregor and Stauffer have merit, but it reeks of inauthenticity and partiality to so unabashedly support your known friends and then post caustic quotes from other people about your friends' competitors without addressing them. Looks kind of like you're hiding behind "what other people say" because, "Hey, I'm just giving a balanced account of what other people think!" Well, you give a "balanced account" of what people think of your best buds' competition, but then delve headlong into a generous explanation of why your friends are great.

Gag.

Avatar
#28 Czar
July 30 2013, 10:05AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Rob... wrote:

I always thought a younger Paul Shaffer.

I'm with Butters on this one, more Costello than Shaffer. Especially when he's not wearing those Paris Hilton shades he has on in his avatar.

Avatar
#29 Jesse
July 30 2013, 10:28AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Robin Brownlee wrote:

You seem to be looking for issues or motives where they don't exist. I didn't decide to run the poll, The Journal did. I'm simply commenting on the findings, some of which I find curious, others that I agree with. Fans have their say. I have mine.

Don't like it? As always, feel free to move on to something that interests you or that you find more agreeable.

Silly me to hope for some balance or fair representation when reading your work. Won't be making that mistake again.

Avatar
#30 Jesse
July 30 2013, 10:52AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Robin Brownlee wrote:

Oh, all you are looking for is balance and fair representation -- in an opinion piece. How noble.

I'm basically taking this as an admission that you care not to possess a balanced opinion. Noted.

Avatar
#31 RMS
July 30 2013, 11:33AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

Stauffer - I enjoy him the most even though he is somewhat mooted now by working on CHED and being an Oilers employee. I liked him even more when he had Total Sports as his sports knowledge is second to none.

Gregor - I find myself becoming increasingly turned off. The arrogance, crudeness and belittling of callers is getting a little hard to take. A lot of charity work doesn't mask over insufferable pride. He's really good at interviewing and his guests are often excellent.

Mitchell - he's growing on me big time. Would like to see him expand the show to include more baseball and football.

Tencer - The older he got, the more he matured, the better he became. Remember he replaced Al Stafford. 1000 times better and my guess is that many of us will miss him.

Neilson/Fraser - this show is way better than before. I actually listen to it and enjoy it now. The previous incarnations were bad radio.

Spector - He gets excellent guests in his Media experts. He's getting better. Tough time slot though and really isn't a different format than Oilers Lunch, which I think hurts him. It's 'insider' vs 'insider' and 'personality' vs 'personality'.

Strudwick - the jury is still out for me. Often stop listening very soon in. Not sure why, as he seems to be a good guy and Majeau is pretty cool.

WOULD LIKE TO SEE:

Storms/Curry Show - an all girls broadcast team would be very unique. I would cut the Gregor and the Spector show by an hour each to make room for this.

Grumpy Old Sports Men Show - Bring back John Short, pair him with Robin Brownlee and give it the early evening timeslot. Bump out PrimeTime Sports to make it happen.

Avatar
#32 Smokey
July 30 2013, 12:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Bleak Winter wrote:

I don't listen much to Tencer because I find his stuff a little forced. He seems to swing between conciliatory and abrasive on an issue depending on what the need is at any given time.

My favorite Tencer moment was after this last late season gong-show loss to Minnesota (I think), he says to Rob Brown in the post-game something to the effect of "You know what it's like on a team when the season is going badly, you just reach the point where you collectively give up..." and Rob Brown says almost angrily, "No. I have no idea what that's like. I have never played on a team with that little pride or effort". Tencer stammered pretty good at that! Kudos to Brown for not playing along.

That's the guy I missed. Brown is pretty damn good on the radio. If I had to listen to Oilers post game, Rob Brown carried Tenser's jock.

Strudwick paired with "Down goes Brown," would be awesome. Team should get that guy.

Avatar
#33 roger
July 30 2013, 02:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

i no longer listen to gregor like one of the comments i find his arrogance off putting. i rarely get a chance to listen to stauffer's show but if i do i i stay tuned in. all this radio talk gets me thinking of the mike richards show, i have to imagine whomever is in charge of the calgary team station had a bad day when he told them he was leaving.

Avatar
#34 carson
July 30 2013, 04:10PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Ray wrote:

I'm sorry guys, but I think the most knowledgable, intellectual , and interesting one is Marc Spector!!!!!!...by a country mile!!

Haha, good one.

Avatar
#35 Carson
July 30 2013, 04:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Robin Brownlee wrote:

Post the tweet that prompted me to block you.

This is a fun game. Here is the tweet I made to Brownlee that forced his hand to block me (only time I ever tweeted him):

@Robin_Brownlee yeah, all Petry did was put up huge minutes in all situations and be a plus player on cheap contract. The bum.

Anyways, Brownlee didn't care for that kind of harsh verbage.

Avatar
#36 Tundra T
July 30 2013, 07:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

Gotta go with Gregor. The guy knows his sports! CBA question, he did his homework. NFL question, he did his homework. NBA, guess who did his homework? UFC? Dog didn't eat that homework. And his opinions? Passion is golden! Stauffer, listen to him, everytime a player comes up he has to mention his junior roots, his peewee roots, it gets farking annoying! Ya you covered him when he was 12, we care about now. Ask the question and actually get an answer before piping up with your knowledge. Struds, love ya but I gotta hit FM when you are on, love your desire but you are not a broadcaster and your interviews and insights are mind-numbing. Vote Gregor. And this is not his mother FYI

Avatar
#37 Oilcruzer
July 29 2013, 09:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Used to hate Tencer, but that's getting old. He's showing signs of getting it and maturing. Might have potential.

Stauffer, Lowetide, Gregor are the Top 3 in my book. Probably in that order, too much of any is no good.

National airwaves, Dan Patrick is by far and away the benchmark. Can't believe I used to listen to Jim Rome. He's embarrassing now.

Avatar
#38 michael
July 29 2013, 09:39PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Die hard sports fan ,radio is tuned to Bob and Gregor when I am home during the day. Tencer occasionaly. Struds is growing on me. His style is unusual. I like Lowetide. He appeals to the stat guy in me.

The radio scene for me is one where a sports fan can dial into everyday and get a dose of almost anything. From Oilers to Oil Kings to Eskimos and Golden Bears. Each radio host is a little different.

Bob Stauffer is the guy. In this market Bob is the guy. He is the gy to look to for anything Oiler. And in Edmonton that makes him the guy. His style. Honesty. Integrity. Clarity. No BS. Makes him the guy.

Gregor is the next guy. He may be number 1A but he is what for me defines class.He continues to clear the decks and pony up his valuable time for this cities many charities. No other host/show shows the kind of altruism that Gregor displays on a regular basis. He would sell himself body and soul if it meant he could raise money for a good cause. The guy has imo the biggest heart. His Mom and Dad should be proud. His show is sports radio at its best. The media wags in Toronto wish they had 2 guys with as much class and integrity as Stauffer and Gregor.

Lastly. Congrats to Tencer. His style was not always to my liking but he has grown on me in the past 7 years. I wish him the best in his new role.

lastly lastly. That 6-9 slot is open Robin? Just you to know.

Avatar
#39 Starving Student
July 29 2013, 09:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

If team becomes tsn 1260, what happens to Spector's show? As long as Nielson doesn't come back to the lunch hour, all is good.

Avatar
#40 Eddie Shore
July 29 2013, 09:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I can't stand when Fraser says "in that". He over uses that phrase to the point where I am forced to flip the Ipod on. Other than that, I usually enjoy the morning show as Rishaug is pretty plugged in(or at least appears to be) and Nielson isn't scared to give his opinion. I listen to 1260 all day except for the noon hour - I can't stand Spector. Stauffer gets my ears until 2. I think both stations do a great job as I can usually find something to listen to that appeals to me.

Avatar
#41 michael
July 29 2013, 10:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Radio is relevant because its live and its now. That is why I enjoy shows like Stauffers and Gregors. Its not contrived. Its not product. Its live. Interactive. Its real. At 48 years old some of my best memories are listening to John short back in the day. Cold winter nights tuned into 1260 with Rod Phillips and Jim Matheson. Radio is for me a medium that will always be relevant.

Avatar
#42 jonny94
July 29 2013, 10:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I love Lowetide and I love all the blogs he writes he's always grabbing my attention.

I also pay attention to Gregor daily, and his perspective on the Oilers are always undeniably true, even if you don't agree with him. His show is always great to tune into.

Stauffer is cool to tune into but he seems reserved like he can't speak his mind when it comes to the Oilers but that's just my opinion.

Gregor, Lowetide, Stauffer are the 3 I listen to daily and the 3 I prefer in that order.

Avatar
#43 teddydubbs
July 29 2013, 10:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Nice article, Mr. Brownlee. Gregor's interviews are very, very good. I also really like his passion for all sports, not just hockey. He covers a lot of amateur sport, which is so important for those athletes and organizations that really need the kind of coverage that he can provide. I have learned a lot about all kinds of sports thanks to his show.

On a similar note, Mark Spector had a really good show today, mainly showcasing local baseball, and it conjured up really good memories of my Dad taking me to Trapper games when I was a kid. It's something I plan on doing again with my Dad, and eventually with children of my own. Another good example of why local sports, other than hockey, are important.

Nielson and Fraser interact with their audience better than most. The show is fun, and while I like the overall silliness, they both know their stuff and it's a good way to get my day started.

I'll finish by also saying, without trying to blow sunshine up your backside, not to sell yourself short Robin! I think Oilersnation looks forward to tuning in Wednesdays and Thursdays to hear your take on things, and to keep Gregor in check. Not bad for a certified windshield technician!

Avatar
#44 Tim in Kelowna
July 29 2013, 10:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Stauffer is knowledgable and he makes for good radio, but I prefer Spec so I rarely tune into Bob's show. It's nice having a guy in the know dropping hints about potential upcoming moves, but I can read about those online.

While I respect that Tencer has built up a nice resume for such a young guy, I can't stand him. His petty crusade against the Canucks is embarrassing as an Oilers fan.

Gregor is the man. He has the most entertaining show with the best co-hosts and producers. I'm not sure how he manages to fill 4 hours, but it's good radio from start to finish. Plus, no one gives back more to the community than Gregor.

All in all, there are a ton of good options for listeners in this city.

Avatar
#45 toprightcorner
July 29 2013, 10:11PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Gregor is the most rounded with his sports, knowledgeable and speaks his mind even if it is against popular opinion or calling out a team if need be. He would rather try to be right then please people.

Gregor's charity work puts him head and shoulders above the rest.

Bob was fine at 1260 but not a fan since he went to CHED, to much of a homer host. I don't listen to CHED at all anymore, I wish 1260 would have a local show on at 6 pm instead of that crap Primetime Sports, Bob McGowan is a moron along with his co-hosts. That is the only reason I change to CHED is if I am in by car between 6pm and 9pm.

CHED is not a sports station just a talk station with some sports 1260 is a true sports station and I will always support that.

Avatar
#46 Geoff
July 29 2013, 10:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I don't think it matters too much who is better then the other because the thing I think makes the radio hosts like Gregs and Stauffer good is that they genuinely give a $%#% about and like talking Oilers and don't come off as some leetist jackass with an attitude in the process.

I mean the leetist jackass's can be funny at times when they make fun of people who deserve the criticism (( aka. Vancouver lol )) but I found it gets old real quick so hats off if either of them or Struds read this comment :)

Avatar
#47 Pouzar99
July 29 2013, 10:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Pretty good assessment Robin. No question Stauffer has the best sources and therefore the newsiest show. When he talks about something being possible or likely regarding the Oilers, I assume he has a concrete reason to say so because he is often right. Unfortunately his comments about the arena and his owner-worshipping during the lockout were embarrassing to listen to. In addition he all but chased MacTavish out of town and was largely wrong about him as a coach IMHO. He is also loath to admit when he gets something wrong. How many years did it take before he finally admitted that the Oilers goofed by not re-signing Glencross? Despite those flaws I still often listen in because he is so well informed. Gregor is very good and more likeable, but not as plugged in. Tencer was fairly good, if a little too full of himself. When it comes to writing about the Oilers, Gregor is again, quite good, but my favourite is Jonathan Willis. He writes about the team with a studied objectivity and, like Lowetide, excels in stats-based analysis. I am not sure I can see JW on talk radio however as one suspects he does not suffer fools gladly.

Avatar
#48 Pouzar99
July 29 2013, 10:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Pretty good assessment Robin. No question Stauffer has the best sources and therefore the newsiest show. When he talks about something being possible or likely regarding the Oilers, I assume he has a concrete reason to say so because he is often right. Unfortunately his comments about the arena and his owner-worshipping during the lockout were embarrassing to listen to. In addition he all but chased MacTavish out of town and was largely wrong about him as a coach IMHO. He is also loath to admit when he gets something wrong. How many years did it take before he finally admitted that the Oilers goofed by not re-signing Glencross? Despite those flaws I still often listen in because he is so well informed. Gregor is very good and more likeable, but not as plugged in. Tencer was fairly good, if a little too full of himself. When it comes to writing about the Oilers, Gregor is again, quite good, but my favourite is Jonathan Willis. He writes about the team with a studied objectivity and, like Lowetide, excels in stats-based analysis. I am not sure I can see JW on talk radio however as one suspects he does not suffer fools gladly.

Avatar
#49 Kevrock
July 29 2013, 10:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Gregor is THE man. Bob is connected like you say and it's hard to not listen to what he say's. In all this we're so much in agreement, My question then is why you block me on twitter when we disagree? Conversation is good right? I never complain about these things but it did (does) bug me as you and Large are the two guys I grew up reading...Hope you reconsider that opinion. Cheers

Comments are closed for this article.