BUY, BUY BELANGER

Jason Gregor
July 04 2013 12:06PM

The Oilers have placed centre Eric Belanger on waivers for the purpose of buying out the final year of his contract.
When the Oilers signed Belanger two years ago, many felt he was a good addition. He'd help win faceoffs and he could chip in around 30 points. He was great in the dots, winning 55% of his draws his first year and 53% this past season, but he only had 4 goals in 104 games over two seasons. His offence was non-existent.

When he was signed I mentioned the one concern former teammates and organizations said was that he wasn't considered a great dressing room guy. That turned out be accurate. He wasn't a distraction, he didn't yell at this teammates or cause friction, he just had a negative auru about him. You know the type.

That wasn't the reason he was let go, four goals in 104 games was the main one, but the Oilers are trying to "cleanse" their dressing room and they decided they'd be better off without him.

This was an easy decision for the Oilers. I know they don't have a faceoff specialist to replace him, but winning faceoffs didn't result in more scoring chances. Belanger's advanced stats were horrendous despite winning faceoffs.

I don't believe in ripping a player when he leaves town, but I've mentioned for over a year that Belanger was a detriment to this team and this is one decision that I 100% agree with for the Oilers.

QUICK HITS

  • Ray Emery could be a good fit with the Oilers. He's matured the past few seasons, and last year he was outstanding with the Blackhawks. He could push Devan Dubnyk, but he'd be supportive in the back up role as well.
     
  • Interesting situation with the Leafs. They buyout Grabovski ($14.4 mIllion) and the analytics guys hate the decision. Grabovski was overpaid, but not to the point you just give up on him. If they replace him with Bozak and Clarkson I suspect our pals at www.theleafsnation.com might need counseling. The best part is that the Leafs are buying out a guy because he is overpaid, but they will replace him with two players who will also be overpaid. Awesome.
     
  •  Darren Dreger tweeted the Stars and Bruins have a huge trade in the works involving Tyler Seguin and Loui Eriksson. Jim Nill and Joe Sakic have made some significant moves right away since grabbing the reigns in Dallas and Colorado. The next week should be highly entertaining for hockey fans.  

RECENTLY BY JASON GREGOR

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
One of Canada's most versatile sports personalities. Jason hosts The Jason Gregor Show, weekdays from 2 to 6 p.m., on TSN 1260, and he writes a column every Monday in the Edmonton Journal. You can follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/JasonGregor
Avatar
#101 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
July 04 2013, 03:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
2
props

DSF, I can appreciate what you do on here, keeping people grounded in their expectations. I just think you need to work on your delivery. Condescension wins you no friends.

And what's up with worshipping the Canucks?

Avatar
#102 OilClog
July 04 2013, 03:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I actually liked Anson Carter.. He wasn't perfect, but he certainly was far from a bad Oiler. If he posted anywhere near the numbers that Belanger did, then I wouldn't say this. But I'm pretty sure he was a solid 20g scorer for us..

Avatar
#103 OilClog
July 04 2013, 03:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props
Jordan Nugent-Hallkins wrote:

DSF, I can appreciate what you do on here, keeping people grounded in their expectations. I just think you need to work on your delivery. Condescension wins you no friends.

And what's up with worshipping the Canucks?

Grounded.. DSF tries to bury everything 6ft under with an additional 12ft of dirt piled on top... nothing DSF says is grounding.

Avatar
#104 Quicksilver ballet
July 04 2013, 03:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Hey Jason

Just wondering if there was a cost at all affiliated with your taking ownership of the Belanger triangle. Did it come at the cost of any opportunities to get material from Eric? Did it create some friction between the both of you?

Avatar
#105 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
July 04 2013, 03:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
2
props

@OilClog

Well I was trying to be civil, but some days you're absolutely right.

Sorry DSF, but I'm pretty sure I remember you saying we should draft Seguin over Hall. Hindsight's 20/20, but I'll take Hall any day of the week.

Avatar
#106 Bucknuck
July 04 2013, 03:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Walter Sobchak wrote:

As I said to DSF it was more of what the Oilers could offer BOS, a trade is there IF the Oilers want to trade player for player.

Oilers want players on the cheap without subtracting from the current line up.

If you want an elite 1-B centre it's going to cost something, moving Eberle and shifting Gagner to the wing would have been a flawless and smart move for an elite centre.

As for Marincin BOS traded for prospects so that's a wash, which I figured it would be.

I'm not saying I would trade Eberle but the Oilers have to thinking this way.

As for big players vs players with skill, I think we've beaten that to death.

Yes Eberle would probably make Boston take a good hard look. I was assuming that Eberle, Hall, RNH, Yakupov, and Schultz were off limits.

Gagner and Seguin have a lot of the same skill sets (and lack therof in faceoffs) so I am not convinced that Boston would be tempted by him. Hemsky is too expensive for them, and Pajaarvi is not in the same league as Eriksson. at all.

Avatar
#107 MKE
July 04 2013, 03:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Jordan Nugent-Hallkins wrote:

Well I was trying to be civil, but some days you're absolutely right.

Sorry DSF, but I'm pretty sure I remember you saying we should draft Seguin over Hall. Hindsight's 20/20, but I'll take Hall any day of the week.

Same here. For me its not even close. Hall all the way. Hall will be a future MVP winner, and Seguin will be the new whipping boy in Dallas in two years.

Seguin will get moved again before the end of this new deal. And at that point Dallas will be happy to see him go.

Avatar
#108 15w40
July 04 2013, 03:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Hopefully management is spending the vast majority of its resources trying to complete useful trades.

Whale hunting in the UFA market will be futile. Bit player UFA's might come to Edmonton; Horton, Clarkson et-al will not be signing with the Oilers.

Trying to pry Chris Stewart loose from the Blues would be a good idea.

A line of Hall - Gagner - Stewart would look pretty good IMHO.

Issue is, that either Gagner or Pajaarvi would have to be part of the package going back. Stewart holds a lot of value to the Blues

Avatar
#109 Rama Lama
July 04 2013, 03:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
OilClog wrote:

I actually liked Anson Carter.. He wasn't perfect, but he certainly was far from a bad Oiler. If he posted anywhere near the numbers that Belanger did, then I wouldn't say this. But I'm pretty sure he was a solid 20g scorer for us..

IF there was one guarantee it was if there ever was a loose puck, AC was never going to have it on his stick.

The guy had the heart of a fly...........almost as usless as a corndog in the toilet!

Avatar
#110 MKE
July 04 2013, 03:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
2
props
Jordan Nugent-Hallkins wrote:

DSF, I can appreciate what you do on here, keeping people grounded in their expectations. I just think you need to work on your delivery. Condescension wins you no friends.

And what's up with worshipping the Canucks?

I've always figured he was really Mike Gillis

Avatar
#111 Quicksilver ballet
July 04 2013, 03:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Have to wonder if Seguin leaving the Bruins, is similar to when Ryan Whitney was unexpectedly moved from the Pittsburgh Penguins with his ankle/foot issue. Should be interesting to see if Tyler is being quietly shopped again in the next few seasons.

There still could be hope Seguin will play along side of Taylor Hall yet.

Avatar
#112 Lochenzo
July 04 2013, 03:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Well, let's say that the Oilers did acquire Tyler Seguin. Let's also assume that each of the kids have similar $6 mill per year contracts after all entry level deals have expired. Between Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yakupov and Seguin, that's $30 million. Not a whole lot left to fill out the rest of your team. If Seguin bombs, and you're up against the cap, you're possibly in the tough situation of having to move one of the other 4 kids. The Seguin contract would be unmovable in the situation.

Avatar
#113 MKE
July 04 2013, 03:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

Have to wonder if Seguin leaving the Bruins, is similar to when Ryan Whitney was unexpectedly moved from the Pittsburgh Penguins with his ankle/foot issue. Should be interesting to see if Tyler is being quietly shopped again in the next few seasons.

There still could be hope Seguin will play along side of Taylor Hall yet.

I think in three years time people will be greatful they didn't trade for him

Avatar
#114 madjam
July 04 2013, 03:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I think if MacT. did have a bold move imminent it was probably already squashed, or i'm sure it would have been done/announced by now . At Hockey Insider any trades we might have been persuing sounds like we are not in the running (mention gone ) any more . Ottawa going in big on Clarkson by the sounds of it and Philly leading in Emery race . Calgary still active as well . Absence of Oilers getting upsetting . Montreal lands Briere for 2years @ $4M/season . To the victors go the spoils !

Avatar
#115 Rama Lama
July 04 2013, 03:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
tileguy wrote:

don't forget Patrick O'Sullivan

Good addition...........I always had a soft spot for him due to his father. The kid was damaged goods long before he came to the Oilers.

I believe as a a person he was special..........as a hockey player, not so much.

Avatar
#116 michael
July 04 2013, 03:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

The Leafs are as an organization in the upper echelon of the stupid scale. My goodness you buy a guy out 1 year after signing him to a 5 year deal. Who does that. Paul Holmgren? Awful asset management. Belanger was death to whoever he played with. Good luck to him wherever he goes. Because here all he had to bring was a whole lotta of bad luck. Chris Stewart. A deal there to be had? Nichushkin. Make a deal for one of our young dmen. Marincin or Petry. Dallas just traded away their best prospect in Morrow. Its going to be wild tomorrow.Can't wait.

Avatar
#117 Quicksilver ballet
July 04 2013, 04:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
MKE wrote:

I think in three years time people will be greatful they didn't trade for him

With the way imformation gets leaked in todays game. It's no wonder deals like this get done under the cover of darkness. I'm sure Chiarelli may have done better/gotten more if he made it known Tyler was available.

Avatar
#118 MKE
July 04 2013, 04:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

With the way imformation gets leaked in todays game. It's no wonder deals like this get done under the cover of darkness. I'm sure Chiarelli may have done better/gotten more if he made it known Tyler was available.

I'd assume he let every other GM know he was available. If not he's a moron. Plus there were rumors about him being available the day before the draft too. So clearly something got out

Avatar
#119 Rocket
July 04 2013, 04:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Briere to The Canadiens? How come The Oilers can't get good playoff performing UFA's?

Oh right, they have to make the playoffs first.

Friday can't come soon enough.

Avatar
#120 Steven
July 04 2013, 04:11PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
OilersBrass wrote:

Okay then, what crazy suggestions do you have that you think the Oil should do?

See. This is my point: instead of holding MacTavish accountable - for what he says, what he does and what he does not do - the MacTavish apologists blame his critics for, well, expecting him to do what he says he will - the nerve, I know. Putting responsibility on his critics for having too high expectations (which is rarely the case, few fans have sounded more ambitious than MacTavish himself) instead of on MacTavish is a profound inversion of logic, a perversion which comes out of a culture of mediocrity and defeatism.

The apologists also employ another perverted logic: they congratulate MacTavish on the actions he did not do. Upon his hiring, he didn't outline an ambitious plan of non-action, nor will at the end of the year he'll triumphantly say "we made big steps as team this summer, look at all the moves I didn't do!"

Ultimately, and at the end of the day, he has, so far, failed to deliver - on anything. There are two possible reasons for it: 1) he was insincere about his "bold" plans, or 2) his inexperience caused him to underestimate the difficulty in acquiring players (for a number of reasons like tipping his hand to the media, or other GMs trying to play with him, or just simply not having the negotiation skills). I think the concensus is on number 2. Regardless, oiler fans ought to hold him accountable for improving the team. And if he can't, then maybe they should get someone who can.

Avatar
#121 MKE
July 04 2013, 04:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props

@Steven

It's not even July 5th yet! He never promised he would do anything at the draft. Give the guy a chance for crying out loud!

Avatar
#122 SrCain
July 04 2013, 04:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
15w40 wrote:

He has a conviction - "The Oilers are bad - everybody that plays, drafts, manages, or coaches in the organization are bad" Even those that used to be good - Peter Mueller are now bad because they MIGHT play for the Oilers. Mueller went from useful player to "sloppy seconds" in a big hurry.

This applies in both present and past tense for all personnel.

Lmao true, I never looked at it that way. He is very strong on that one.

Avatar
#123 fig pucker
July 04 2013, 04:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
MKE wrote:

It's not even July 5th yet! He never promised he would do anything at the draft. Give the guy a chance for crying out loud!

look there are three main times to make a deal 1) the draft 2) free agency and 3) the trade deadline. the draft was a bust, horton, clowe and clarkson aren't or won't be comming so free agency likly will be to. he missed the boat on the seguin deal, philadelphia looks like they're going to have cap issues why are there no rumblings of a trade for cotourier (draft picks and prospects) ? we don't need to take it easy on mact, he's missing the boat big time.

Avatar
#124 Smokey
July 04 2013, 04:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
fig pucker wrote:

look there are three main times to make a deal 1) the draft 2) free agency and 3) the trade deadline. the draft was a bust, horton, clowe and clarkson aren't or won't be comming so free agency likly will be to. he missed the boat on the seguin deal, philadelphia looks like they're going to have cap issues why are there no rumblings of a trade for cotourier (draft picks and prospects) ? we don't need to take it easy on mact, he's missing the boat big time.

Cause there is no one in their right mind that trades a stud 20 year old future stud center. Oh wait.

Holmgren won't trade him on ELC. And we don't have pieces outside the kids he wants. You want him, the conversation starts with Yak or Ebs.

Avatar
#125 6 ring circus
July 04 2013, 04:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props

When is it time to panic ? Training camp?mid season ? the trade deadline ? How much longer do the Oilers think the fab 5 will want to stick around this gong show? This is beyond ridiculous ,Mac T should of kept his mouth shut instead of getting everyone's hopes up!!! One last thing, hey K Lowe how's those 6 Stanley cups you have working out in building a winner?

Avatar
#126 MKE
July 04 2013, 04:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
fig pucker wrote:

look there are three main times to make a deal 1) the draft 2) free agency and 3) the trade deadline. the draft was a bust, horton, clowe and clarkson aren't or won't be comming so free agency likly will be to. he missed the boat on the seguin deal, philadelphia looks like they're going to have cap issues why are there no rumblings of a trade for cotourier (draft picks and prospects) ? we don't need to take it easy on mact, he's missing the boat big time.

Hardly anyone made deals at the draft. And why on earth would the Flyers trade Couturier?

If you say for cap reasons...his cap hit isn't even 1.5 million!! You don't move a guy with a tiny cap hit if you are having cap issues.

They need to move a much bigger contract then that.

Avatar
#127 TV6
July 04 2013, 04:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I'm a BIG MacT as G.M. supporter, but if that Belanger buy-out is a amnesty buy-out, then MacT has made his 1st BIG mistake of his G.M. career.

The $$$ difference is negligible, & it's a complete & utter waste of a useful asset.

I am going to be mighty pissed if this is not a regular buy-out scenario.

x6

Avatar
#128 MKE
July 04 2013, 04:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props

@6 ring circus

And even when he does make moves people will still complain. This team could win the cup and people would still find something to complain about. I get this team has sucked for a while, but without sucking, we don't get the fab 5. I have full faith in MacT.

Avatar
#129 Smokey
July 04 2013, 04:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Fig pucker, would u do Yak for SC and Coburn. I would.

Don't roast me to bad.

Avatar
#130 madjam
July 04 2013, 04:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Be patient ? Doesn't the sound of it just make you sick ? ON has been patient far too long - over 3 years . When a new Gm says he going to deliver and fail on draft day to do so , then everyone has a right to bellyache -and so they should . Time to deliver on GMs goals has already been past tense . Some need to go preach their patience elsewhere . The rest of us want to see results , not a bunch of unfulfilled oral diarrhea .

Avatar
#131 DonDon
July 04 2013, 04:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
fig pucker wrote:

wow horton in columbus, pretty bad when the blue jackets look better than us. what and we can't put together a competitive package to get in on the seguin deal? i guess we don't need centre men. here's the blocbuster move mac t is talking about, we'll go from finishing 23rd overall to 22nd or dare i say 21st, alright everyone try and hold back your excitment as we settle in for 8yrs with no playoffs.

Yes, it appears Columbus now will be a more favourable team than the Oilers for UFA in that Columbus is now in the Eastern Conference -- easier travelling schedule for players. Also, it isn't a hockey centre, so there is less scrutiny and definitely less pressure to perform than in mad Canadian hockey centres.

I believe MacT is quite intelligent, but he is a rookie GM and has already made at least one big mistake so far: Getting the Oiler fans' expectations beyond his experiences and capabilities as a GM.

I don't think anyone should be surprised if the Oilers miss the playoffs for the 8th consecutive time. It will take much longer than this season for the rebuild to be properly completed and the Oil to be a contender for the SCP.

Avatar
#132 MKE
July 04 2013, 04:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@TV6

Who else would you have them buy out? And clearly there wasn't a market for Belanger. If they had been, he would have been moved.

Avatar
#133 Smokey
July 04 2013, 04:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
6 ring circus wrote:

When is it time to panic ? Training camp?mid season ? the trade deadline ? How much longer do the Oilers think the fab 5 will want to stick around this gong show? This is beyond ridiculous ,Mac T should of kept his mouth shut instead of getting everyone's hopes up!!! One last thing, hey K Lowe how's those 6 Stanley cups you have working out in building a winner?

Cant hear u. He's got 2 rings stuck in his ears.

Avatar
#134 Walter Sobchak
July 04 2013, 04:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Bucknuck wrote:

Yes Eberle would probably make Boston take a good hard look. I was assuming that Eberle, Hall, RNH, Yakupov, and Schultz were off limits.

Gagner and Seguin have a lot of the same skill sets (and lack therof in faceoffs) so I am not convinced that Boston would be tempted by him. Hemsky is too expensive for them, and Pajaarvi is not in the same league as Eriksson. at all.

I tend to agree for the most part, I have to think Seguin ceiling is higher though.

I also think Seguin away from the puck might be a better then Gagner.

As for the untouchables, I would love for them to all stay, however I think at some point to cross that threshold of being a good team to a great team someone might have to go.

Hemsky contract right now is what's limiting his movement IMO, both salary and term.

Who wants a 5 per for one season? Buy that down and you might have a case to trade for Hemmer.

I never said trade Paajarvi for Erikson at all?

Avatar
#135 bazmagoo
July 04 2013, 04:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
TV6 wrote:

I'm a BIG MacT as G.M. supporter, but if that Belanger buy-out is a amnesty buy-out, then MacT has made his 1st BIG mistake of his G.M. career.

The $$$ difference is negligible, & it's a complete & utter waste of a useful asset.

I am going to be mighty pissed if this is not a regular buy-out scenario.

x6

Agreed. $400 K per season for two years is all Belanger would have cost against the cap. I'm thinking it's unlikely we are going to need the cap space, lol, unless MacT goes bonkers tomorrow.

Avatar
#136 bazmagoo
July 04 2013, 04:54PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@Walter Sobchak

I'd like to think the Oilers are trying to parlay Hemsky into a reasonable asset, hopefully dangling that they will eat half his salary/cap space next season. That would be bold, so it's unlikely to happen.

Avatar
#137 KidsInTheHall!
July 04 2013, 04:54PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Buying out Belanger seems to be the best option for the Oilers I think.

Is Manny Malhotra a viable option do you think? By the sounds of it, he thinks he can still play and the Oilers could use him.

Avatar
#138 GVBlackhawk
July 04 2013, 04:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props
Steven wrote:

See. This is my point: instead of holding MacTavish accountable - for what he says, what he does and what he does not do - the MacTavish apologists blame his critics for, well, expecting him to do what he says he will - the nerve, I know. Putting responsibility on his critics for having too high expectations (which is rarely the case, few fans have sounded more ambitious than MacTavish himself) instead of on MacTavish is a profound inversion of logic, a perversion which comes out of a culture of mediocrity and defeatism.

The apologists also employ another perverted logic: they congratulate MacTavish on the actions he did not do. Upon his hiring, he didn't outline an ambitious plan of non-action, nor will at the end of the year he'll triumphantly say "we made big steps as team this summer, look at all the moves I didn't do!"

Ultimately, and at the end of the day, he has, so far, failed to deliver - on anything. There are two possible reasons for it: 1) he was insincere about his "bold" plans, or 2) his inexperience caused him to underestimate the difficulty in acquiring players (for a number of reasons like tipping his hand to the media, or other GMs trying to play with him, or just simply not having the negotiation skills). I think the concensus is on number 2. Regardless, oiler fans ought to hold him accountable for improving the team. And if he can't, then maybe they should get someone who can.

The guy has been on the job for 2.5 months now...calm down.

Avatar
#139 6 ring circus
July 04 2013, 05:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@MKE

Correct me if I am wrong ,Mac t was the one who said Bold moves were coming,that Hemsky and Horcoff were better off findings new team's to play on last time I checked Mac t fired his coach ,drafted the BPA and little else , I am just tried of the Oilers treating its fan base like this and watching this brutal display of hockey for the past 7 years with no play offs and on and on it goes.....I can also do without the arrogance of K Lowe he won those cups playing on a TEAM not as a coach or GM

Avatar
#140 6 ring circus
July 04 2013, 05:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@MKE

Correct me if I am wrong ,Mac t was the one who said Bold moves were coming,that Hemsky and Horcoff were better off finding new team's to play on last time I checked Mac t fired his coach ,drafted the BPA and little else , I am just tried of the Oilers treating its fan base like this and watching this brutal display of hockey for the past 7 years with no play offs and on and on it goes.....I can also do without the arrogance of K Lowe he won those cups playing on a TEAM not as a coach or GM

Avatar
#141 Smokey
July 04 2013, 05:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
bazmagoo wrote:

Agreed. $400 K per season for two years is all Belanger would have cost against the cap. I'm thinking it's unlikely we are going to need the cap space, lol, unless MacT goes bonkers tomorrow.

I hope MacT pulls a Talon and signs 8 players. and scares the beejibbers outta everyone.

Avatar
#142 MKE
July 04 2013, 05:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@madjam

So give the man a chance to deliver. He never said he was going to do anything on draft day. Hardly anyone did anything on draft day.

Avatar
#143 OilersBrass
July 04 2013, 05:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Steven wrote:

See. This is my point: instead of holding MacTavish accountable - for what he says, what he does and what he does not do - the MacTavish apologists blame his critics for, well, expecting him to do what he says he will - the nerve, I know. Putting responsibility on his critics for having too high expectations (which is rarely the case, few fans have sounded more ambitious than MacTavish himself) instead of on MacTavish is a profound inversion of logic, a perversion which comes out of a culture of mediocrity and defeatism.

The apologists also employ another perverted logic: they congratulate MacTavish on the actions he did not do. Upon his hiring, he didn't outline an ambitious plan of non-action, nor will at the end of the year he'll triumphantly say "we made big steps as team this summer, look at all the moves I didn't do!"

Ultimately, and at the end of the day, he has, so far, failed to deliver - on anything. There are two possible reasons for it: 1) he was insincere about his "bold" plans, or 2) his inexperience caused him to underestimate the difficulty in acquiring players (for a number of reasons like tipping his hand to the media, or other GMs trying to play with him, or just simply not having the negotiation skills). I think the concensus is on number 2. Regardless, oiler fans ought to hold him accountable for improving the team. And if he can't, then maybe they should get someone who can.

You still didn't answer my question...

What do you suggest Mac T does?? Since it's apparently so easy to make things happen, tell everyone here what you would do.

Avatar
#144 TV6
July 04 2013, 05:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
MKE wrote:

Who else would you have them buy out? And clearly there wasn't a market for Belanger. If they had been, he would have been moved.

They don't need to buy-out anyone...

The compliance buy-outs are good for another season still.

The Oil just should have bought out the Belanger Triangle via the regular buy-out process & simply saved the asset of 1 of their 2 amnesty buy-outs.

It's crappy asset management to waste 1 on such a minimal $$$ buy-out cost/Cap hit.

x6

Avatar
#145 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
July 04 2013, 05:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Off topic but what did Nuge's faceoff numbers look like by the end of last season? If he can win draws more consistently, I think the kid line will benefit greatly from the extra 30 seconds or so they don't have to spend regaining possession.

Avatar
#146 oiler_head
July 04 2013, 05:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I think that it is becoming apparent that not only do we not have a team to win, we also don't have a team with valuable assets outside of fab five. MacT is not trading any of the young guns and it seems that he wants to hang onto our most tradeable asset in Gagner.

He doesn't have much to bring to the table and is likely realizing that he'll likely have to go into the season with most of the team intact. I believe that this is less about inaction than trying to fix the mistakes made (Belanger, 1 yr contract for Gagner, Smithson, etc). Too bad for him and for us the fans, but at least I hope that KLowe is apologizing to MacT daily for the mistake that was Tambellini and his poor excuse for management.

Avatar
#147 Bucknuck
July 04 2013, 05:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Walter Sobchak wrote:

I tend to agree for the most part, I have to think Seguin ceiling is higher though.

I also think Seguin away from the puck might be a better then Gagner.

As for the untouchables, I would love for them to all stay, however I think at some point to cross that threshold of being a good team to a great team someone might have to go.

Hemsky contract right now is what's limiting his movement IMO, both salary and term.

Who wants a 5 per for one season? Buy that down and you might have a case to trade for Hemmer.

I never said trade Paajarvi for Erikson at all?

I know you didn't mention Pajaarvi, but that was a name that was mentioned in a few tweets on Draft day which is why I did.

Most moves happen after free agency when teams know what holes they managed to fill for free. I am curious what trades get done in the next week. Should be something about the Oilers there.

I figure Hemsky's contract is probably making some teams shy and Horcoff wanting to go to a contender is a non-starter. They could only pitch his contract to a team that needs to get to the cap floor and that doesn't include the contenders. He'd have to be part of a package at this point and that will happen after free agent day.

It's all very exciting.

Avatar
#148 Tom
July 04 2013, 05:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Getting pissed off now. I want to believe in MacT but I am fairly sure one of two things has to be happening. Either MacT is really bad at this job or nobody wants to come here. Either way, I have had enough of this sh?$. I would even accept MacT overpaying for someone. Come on, do something, the same old is not good enough anymore.

Avatar
#149 MKE
July 04 2013, 05:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
6 ring circus wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong ,Mac t was the one who said Bold moves were coming,that Hemsky and Horcoff were better off finding new team's to play on last time I checked Mac t fired his coach ,drafted the BPA and little else , I am just tried of the Oilers treating its fan base like this and watching this brutal display of hockey for the past 7 years with no play offs and on and on it goes.....I can also do without the arrogance of K Lowe he won those cups playing on a TEAM not as a coach or GM

I don't like watching a team suck year after year either. But I like the pieces they got as a result of sucking.

And yes MacT did say that. And he did say that about Horcoff and Hemsky. But Im not ready to complain. Free agency hasn't even started for crying out loud..

Im saying lets see what happens in the off season. If Sept comes and nothing has happened then I'll be upset.

I don't see anything to be upset over at this moment because I trust MacT

Avatar
#150 MKE
July 04 2013, 05:08PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
TV6 wrote:

They don't need to buy-out anyone...

The compliance buy-outs are good for another season still.

The Oil just should have bought out the Belanger Triangle via the regular buy-out process & simply saved the asset of 1 of their 2 amnesty buy-outs.

It's crappy asset management to waste 1 on such a minimal $$$ buy-out cost/Cap hit.

x6

So who would they buy out next year? I don't see anyone signed beyond this next year that you would need to even consider buying out. Plus if MacT is thinking about keeping some of Hemsky's salary in a trade, then the extra cap space might come in handy

Comments are closed for this article.