PTO AND TC INVITES

Lowetide
August 10 2013 11:38AM

There are so many interesting players still available this summer--NHL free agents, 20 year old graduating juniors without contracts--the mind actually boggles. Will the Oilers be active in these areas? MacT's aggressive summer of 2013 should continue through these weeks in August, and the final TC invite list may offer some surprises.

NHL FREE AGENTS WORTH A LOOK

Back on July 3 I made a list of 15 for the Oilers, and there are a couple of names remaining. However, it's very doubtful Edmonton would add a defenseman at this point, and goaltending appears to have been addressed in Edmonton and Oklahoma City.  So, it's the forwards--and there are a lot of them still out there.

David Steckel has to be considered a player of interest for the Oilers based on his penalty killing ability and the fact that he's money in the facceoff circle. My original list had Peter Mueller as an option, and he's still available. Would he come to TC on an invite? At this point in summer these free agents have to be getting a little concerned, so perhaps another week or so and that option will be available. Kaspars Daugavins is an interesting option on the wing, he's a 2-way type who can agitate and his some nice minor league numbers.

AIM HIGHER

There are two exceptional talents currently available as free agents, and both would benefit the Oilers. I've rambled on all summer about Mikhail Grabovski--then again pretty much all of the Oilogosphere is united behind that idea. Another player of note in the high end district is Vinny Prospal who could add a lot to the forward group despite being 38 years old. He might light it up with Hemsky.

ANYONE ELSE?

There are a lot of 20 year old graduating juniors who are now free agents, I'd suggest Cameron Brace is a player worth looking at, Brock Otten at OHL Prospects agrees.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

The Oilers have some holes in their roster that could be filled by inexpensive free agents, and some 20-year old junior graduates still looking for work. With the 50-man roster close to full, there's not a lot of wiggle room. However, if there's something worthwhile allowances can be made, and with the exceptional number of unemployed hockey players available this late in August, opportunities exist.

Hold on to your dresses, ladies, bold is still possible.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#1 Whaa...
August 10 2013, 11:44AM

Is that Megan Fox??

#2 DC
August 10 2013, 11:48AM

Nothing to lose by at least offering a tryout. Even if it doesn't work out it can only look good for the organization. I don't see any downfall if players view the Oilers as a team willing to give a guy a shot.

#3 Toro
August 10 2013, 11:56AM

I don't understand why there isn't any interest in Brendan Morrow , is he asking for too much money or refuses to come here? I think he would be a perfect 3rd liner for us and would provide some toughness and leadership , and if all fails we could send him to a contender at the trade deadline if we are sellers.

#4 Toro
August 10 2013, 11:56AM

Double post delete please

#5 Soccer Steve
August 10 2013, 11:58AM

That article is just a blur for me. Is it worth reading or just watch the wonderful infinite loop for another 10 unblinking minutes?

#6 MessyEH!
August 10 2013, 12:09PM

Somewhere up there was an article.

So sorry lowetide. I am heading to another sight where I only need to block out David Bowie.

#7 Mikey
August 10 2013, 12:37PM

I am very interested in Peter Mueller. There must be something else going on with him, why hasn't any signed him yet. Still young, needs to work on foot speed and other than concussion issues, I see him as a better player than Ryan Jones.

#8 Yakman
August 10 2013, 12:56PM

Why not Toby Peterson?

#9 David S
August 10 2013, 12:59PM
MessyEH! wrote:

Somewhere up there was an article.

Here you go...

#10 Naky
August 10 2013, 01:00PM

The day MacT signs Toby Petersen, that will be the day the straw finally broke the camel's back for me and I will ignore the Oilers until the entire management corps has been burned to the ground. Him or Liam Reddox, both.

#11 madjam
August 10 2013, 02:03PM

Wouldn't mind seeing Kevin Dallman come to Oilers from KHL , along with his agent wife . Turned into quite the offensive defenceman at 31 . Best in league apparently , above Belov .

#12 canuck
August 10 2013, 02:25PM
Soccer Steve wrote:

what movie was this from?

#13 oilers2k10
August 10 2013, 02:32PM

I'm interested in the Waiver Wire..tsn should do a special on that.

#14 oldhippy
August 10 2013, 02:53PM
canuck wrote:

what movie was this from?

I think that is from Jennifer's Body.

And madjam, good call on Kevin Dallman's agent wife. Saw her at the draft and did not know who that knock-out was.

#15 gcw_rocks
August 10 2013, 03:22PM

Grabovski would be excellent.

Trading Nick Schultz and adding Grabovski would leave the team contract nuetral and the cap differential should be managable.

Grabovski would give Gagner a serious run for his money as the second line centre, which would be a very good thing. If he had any chemistry with Yak, Grabo would likely supplant Gagner bumping Gagner to the third line. Would we really complain about a third line of Gagner- Gordon- Hemsky? Provided of course Hemsky's tragic corsi from last year was a Krueger thing.

#16 Ryan
August 10 2013, 04:23PM

Would love to add prospal and graboski . Buy out or trade Shultz and then our 3rd line is graboski , prospal and hemsky. Pushes jones , smyth and Gordon to the 4th. Looks like a way better bottom 6 then what we may run with now

#17 MessyEH!
August 10 2013, 04:24PM
MessyEH! wrote:

Somewhere up there was an article.

Lowetide has a series, on his site, were he assigns a Bowie song to each Oilers player. Grow up people. As for the Christian dating web site; won't work for any die hard Oilers fan; We're all tantric.

#18 99thOilerfan
August 10 2013, 04:27PM

Scene: Me in same room with Megan Fox.

Me: Ugly dress, Megan.................. Megan: I hate it too ( Dropping dress down )....................................... Me: Way better look for you! Go Oil!

End scene.

- Excerpt from my dream tonight.

#19 MessyEH!
August 10 2013, 04:29PM
Ryan wrote:

I would nevet buy out Schultz. We only have 4 bonafide NHL defenders. Schultz Sr, Ferrence, Petry and Smid.Everyone else is a bird in the bush.

#20 Ryan
August 10 2013, 04:40PM
MessyEH! wrote:

I don't want to lose Shultz either but if I have to choose between him and solidifying the bottom 6, kinda seems like a no brainer

#21 The Oilers Shot Clock
August 10 2013, 04:48PM

@canuck

The movie is called. "How to lose friends and alienate people". The walk across the pool scene is nice too.

#22 MessyEH!
August 10 2013, 05:57PM
Ryan wrote:

Our top six is young. Gagner can improve his defensive game.

If Grabassgrovelassky is so great why did TO buy him out. From what I saw he's a pre Madonna.

If we are trading Schultz, I want it to be for a solid 1 or 2 d man. Not for some of Torontos hand me downs.

#23 MessyEH!
August 10 2013, 06:06PM

Besides the guys who play 4 to 10 minutes a night were not our problem last year.

Rookie dmen Schultz jr and and a subpar whitney getting 21 and 16 minutes a night is what killed us. Only having 3 actual NHL defensemen is what killed us.

Now we have 4. Hopefully Belov is everything he's suppose to be that would make for 5 guys that are 3or4 dmen. The rest are 5 to 9s.

#24 DSF
August 10 2013, 06:36PM
MessyEH! wrote:

Our top six is young. Gagner can improve his defensive game.

By "Pre Madonna", did you mean Bette Midler or prima donna?

#25 Mo Cardz
August 10 2013, 09:42PM

Hall-Gagner-Eberle** Perron-Grabovski-Yakupov** Smyth-Gordon-Hemsky** Joensuu-Lander-Brown**

or

Hall-Arcobello-Eberle** Perron-Gags-Yakupov** Jones-Gordon-Hemsky** Smyth-Steckel-Brown/Joensuu**

#26 Oil fan
August 10 2013, 09:45PM

Hall-Arcobello-Eberle** Perron-Gagner-Yakupov** Joensuu-Lander-Hemsky** Smyth-Gordon-Brown/Jones**

#27 Uks Ya
August 10 2013, 09:49PM

@Oil fan

I like that F.S.C line Fin-Swede-Czech line

Joensuu & Lander are both strong defensively whom can also put up points...add hemmer to the mix and yuh juss neva know eh

#28 Stay Frosty
August 10 2013, 10:47PM
DSF wrote:

By "Pre Madonna", did you mean Bette Midler or prima donna?

Debbie Harry, I hope.

He sure ain't no first-pairing trade-worthy Nick Schultz!

#29 Stay Frosty
August 10 2013, 10:56PM
Uks Ya wrote:

I like that F.S.C line Fin-Swede-Czech line

If by that you mean "not quite NHLers", then...yes!

#30 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
August 10 2013, 11:23PM

Just imagine the possibilities. Steckle, Grabovski, Duagavins, Mueller.....with all the cap space the Oilers have, maybe we should temper our enthusiasm and bring Ryan Whitney back for the little that's left, eh?

#31 David S
August 11 2013, 02:44AM

Megan Fox taking her dress off trumps any hockey-related comment on this thread.

I'm sorry but it's true.

#32 wheeler
August 11 2013, 03:05AM

We really shouldn't have signed Ference. Then we could have had the cap to go after Grabbo and Prospal for a very nice third line, and a very good fourth line in Smyth, Jones and Gordon. Instead we got Bruin scraps.

Everyone, please do yourself a favour and watch this fine compilation to see why Ference and his former teammates are cancer to the game of hockey. Oilers should be embarrassed they signed one of these clowns.

#33 MessyEH!
August 11 2013, 03:12AM
DSF wrote:

By "Pre Madonna", did you mean Bette Midler or prima donna?

How about we stick to the shinny discussions, and leave the diva talk to later. (And it would be Cher.)

#34 K_Mart
August 11 2013, 09:26AM

If the Oil found a way to bring in Grabovski, would he be #2or#3 C?

While Nuge is out he could save moving Hall to centre and he and gags could split the top minutes. But what happens once Nuge is healthy? One of Gags or Grabbo is going to win the #2C job and the other will likely whine and moan (especially grabbo) about getting brutal ice time.

Grabbo is an OK option, but far from a slam dunk.

#35 Thumby
August 11 2013, 09:43AM
DSF wrote:

By "Pre Madonna", did you mean Bette Midler or prima donna?

I rarely comment but got to give DSF a verbal prop on this!

#36 Dangilitis
August 11 2013, 10:49AM

Here is the issue with Nick Schultz - he didn't do what he was supposed to last year. He was supposed to stabilize the pairing with Justin, and instead he kept going walkabout and leaving J Schultz high and dry at a time of the year when fatigue and adjusting to the NHL was taking its toll on him. He failed to do what he needed to do, and now I personally don't trust him with top 4 minutes. You would have to think top 4 time is going to Smid, Petry, Ference and J schultz. Basically they had to pay big dollars and bring in Ference to do what was initially felt to be Nick Schultz's job. Sound familiar? Because they had to trade for Fistric to take Peckham's spot and next thing you know Peckham is gone. They brought in Smithson to take Belanger's role and now he's gone. I strongly believe MacT would love to get rid of Nick, in spite of Yzerman's assessment of "saw him good" at the WHC years ago.

What also scares me is listening to Klefbom telling reporters last year that he was intently watching N Schultz and that he was hoping to model his game after his. That would have been acceptable 4 years ago but at this juncture this is a bad mentor who did not lead by example last year on the back end. Another reason why I think Ference was brought in and why Schultz will or should be gone by trade deadline.

The other irony here, and I presume half of you will disagree, but I would much rather have Tom Gilbert as a 4-5 Dman than Nick Schultz. I actually trust he can play top 4 minutes if J Schultz falters early or Ference is not all he's cracked up to be. And I believe that Gilbert could be had at a contract equal to or less than Nick's current contract. If the Oilers could trade Nick away for anything (even a 6th round draft pick), then they could sign Gilbert for similar dollars and then, in a twist of dumb luck, could actually claim that they started with Gilbert 2 years ago and ended up with him again while adding a draft pick or prospect in the process.

#37 Dangilitis
August 11 2013, 10:54AM

But at the end of the day, Grebeshkov and Belov are equally likely candidates to take #5 spot with a chance to move up to top 4 minutes as needed, and give Klefbom an outside chance at this as well. Which means that Gilbert would be redundant (although I think he is still a better player than the Russians above), and that I agree with those here who are suggesting getting Nick's contract off the books and using that money to add a 3rd line veteran. I like Grabovski but I think he's holding out for lots of money and will happily go to the KHL if he doesn't find it in NHL. Prospal and Morrow would be great stop gap solutions to me. Can't trust Joensuu as a 3rd line winger...

#38 toprightcorner
August 11 2013, 11:02AM

Right now, my main concern is quality depth at centre for the 4th line so Lander can grow with more quality minutes with OKC

Steckel would be a great addition, size, faceoffs and PK.

I would offer Maholtra a PTO. He has nothing to lose and will compete as hard as he can. If he can come back to even 80% of what he was, he will add a lot to this team defensively and on the dot. he could be a diamond in the rough.

Either of these guys would give us two 55%+ face off guys in the bottom 6 which would allow us to win 15% more faceoffs than in the past.

If we are looking for any wingers in the bottom 6, they need to have grit, excellent 2-way game and PK strengths and high compete level. we don't need a mainly offensive oriented player on the third line right now as it seems to be the plan to have that as a high quality shut down line.

I would rather add someont that could help reduce defensive zone time and help reduce goals against by 15-20 then add a player who can score 5 more goals for.

#39 toprightcorner
August 11 2013, 11:04AM
DSF wrote:

By "Pre Madonna", did you mean Bette Midler or prima donna?

Gotta give credit when credit is due! that was hilarious and witty!!

#41 OilCountry
August 11 2013, 12:43PM
Stay Frosty wrote:

If by that you mean "not quite NHLers", then...yes!

I guarantee you Joensuu is better then Ryan Jones this season!

#42 Uks Ya
August 11 2013, 12:51PM
Lowetide wrote:

He'd be a 2, with Gagner moving to RW imo. The Oilers under MacT are extremely likely to have natural C's playing wing.

MacT LOVED having guys play center and wing. Examples of going the other way (Smyth, Pisani) are almost as commmon as the other way (Kilger, Carter, etc).

thankfully its Dallas Eakins call & not Macs

#43 MessyEH!
August 11 2013, 02:55PM

Imho I think SRs sloppy play, had more to do with Kruegers sloppy system.

I think some of you need to look back had how Gilbert left. And how lousy he played last year. There must be a really good reason another team hasn't picked him up.

#44 2004Z06
August 12 2013, 04:10PM

@wheeler

Oh brother! You could make one of those vids for every team in the league. We get it, Vancouver lost. Move on!