TRADING MARINCIN

Lowetide
August 02 2013 07:36AM

 

Martin Marincin is developing as a very nice prospect for future NHL employment. His progress from junior to pro this past season had some bumpy moments, but by season's end he was well inside the top 4D at evens and a feature player for much of the year 5x4. Martin Marincin has a problem though: he's boxed in. Klefbom ahead of him, Nurse behind, and man there's not a lot of room.  

In junior, Marincin stories surrounded his height and lack of lower body strength, and the subpar team he played for in Prince George. Early in his first pro season, he caught an enormous break--being paired with Justin Schultz--and for a time the spotlight shone on Marincin in a big way:

  • Steve Tambellini in October: “His natural instincts for the game are very good … coming into the Saturday game, he was leading the American (Hockey) League in plus minus. That speaks to his hockey sense. When I look at Martin, I also see a strong ability to pass the puck. His body has to get stronger from a defensive standpoint. He’s a six-foot-four, six-foot-five kid, but is he is pretty lean (187 pounds). That said, when you watch him, he has an excellent stick for poke-checking.”

The Hockey News has an excellent scouting report on most of the NHL players and prospects we talk about, and I like their summary on Marincin (here).

  • The Hockey News: Is quite lanky, with a very projectable 6-5 frame. Boasts great puck-moving qualities and offensive acumen. Also displays plenty of shutdown upside. Doesn't play enough of a physical game, which he will have to improve upon in order to maximize his all-round potential at the National Hockey League level.

Marincin's size, skill set and youth (he's 21) make him an attractive option for any team, including the Oilers. In fact, if they could mail him back to 2008 chances are Marincin would have an exceptional future with the Oilers.

WE HAVE A PROBLEM

Marincin, 21 and a few defensive sorties from being ready for his first NHL game (which is followed by a longer period in the NHL and then finally arrival), is being passed by players procured after he was selected (2nd round, 2010). It's not his fault--Marincin is a terrific defensive prospect--but he's in a zone where he may be 'available' for trade.

When the Oilers took Marincin--Frank Musil pushed hard for his selection--the prospect depth chart was rail thin. Here's what the Oilers had bubbling under on the blue in 2010 summer: Jeff Petry, Theo Peckham, Marincin (just drafted), Alex Plante, Taylor Chorney, Johan Motin, Troy Hesketh and Kyle Bigos. 

Fast forward to the current prospect list, and it's truly insane:

  • Darnell Nurse
  • Oscar Klefbom
  • Martin Marincin
  • Martin Gernat
  • Dillon Simpson
  • David Musil

That's kind of my point, this list right here.  If the Edmonton Oilers begin the season and decide they badly need something, teams will be asking after someone on this list (it's the area of greatest strength for the Oilers, so MacT would probably be more open to a deal for a defender, too). 

One assumes Nurse and Klefbom are untouchable, but what about Marincin? Is he a lock for future employment or will the team move forward with a future top 4 of Nurse, Petry, Klefbom, J Schultz? 

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

The Oilers finally have a prospect depth chart on defense that is clearly going to produce legit big league talent. My question for you is this: WHERE is the line in the sand for untouchables? Before or after Martin Marincin? Because I'd bet money he's going to receive a lot of interest in the next 12 months, and you can't play everybody. 

(Marincin photos by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved)

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
Lowetide has been one of the Oilogosphere's shining lights for over a century. You can check him out here at OilersNation and at lowetide.ca. He is also the host of Lowdown with Lowetide weekday mornings 10-noon on Team 1260.
Avatar
#51 book¡e
August 02 2013, 10:28AM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers

Did anyone else try to work through the chess game to see if Black could force a stalemate?

Edit - Unless White is an idiot, Black is doomed.

Avatar
#52 DSF
August 02 2013, 11:21AM
Trash it!
60
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers

Jon Rosen ‏@lakingsinsider 5m

And there you go... RT @mayorNHL CONFIRMED: LA Kings have new deal in place with Kyle Clifford http://mayorsmanor.com/?p=19592

Avatar
#53 Rama Lama
August 02 2013, 11:40AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers

So just when the guy seems to trending up and ready to make the leap to the NHL, we want to trade him??

It seems to me that all he is lacking is about 20lbs.......someone need to introduce him to mashed potatoes and voila we have a big defenseman. I for one do not want to start trading prospects unless we have written them off and this guy seems far from it. If you want to trade a prospect, trade someone who has no chance to crack the line-up ( Rajala) due to their size projections.

Keep the cupboards full!

Avatar
#54 Spydyr
August 02 2013, 02:35PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers
godot10 wrote:

Please list all the other players you would have to get rid of at bargain prices to fit Weber under the cap.

Winning in a hard cap system is all about value for money.

Turn on your sarcasm detector.

Avatar
#55 Ron Burgundy
August 02 2013, 08:43AM
Trash it!
10
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers
cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan wrote:

since it is actually August is it ok for us to discuss trading prospects again?

asking for a friend.

And there you have it folks, the first truly prop-worthy post in ON history.

I initially disagreed with this article, but as I look at Capgeek I think you may be right LT, there is not much room at the inn.

None this year, but with injuries perhaps we see him on the big club for a few games. Next year there are currently lots of openings (only Smid and Ference are signed beyond this year), but we better be re-signing Schultz, and are probably re-signing Petry (though if you want to talk about tradeable assets...)

Klefbom then arrives next year, and do you really want two rookie blue in your top 6? That probably means you re-sign one or both of the Russians. Plus there is Larsen. Marincin's deal then expires. Perhaps you re-up him, but the year after that is the same story as Nurse will(should) be ready.

In some ways it is up to the kid here I think - if he can make someone else expendible then maybe someone else goes and he gets a chair when the music stops. But as of today he seems like a good candidate to be the one standing.

Avatar
#56 TigerUnderGlass
August 02 2013, 02:56PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers
Spydyr wrote:

But,but the kool-aid is so tasty.

I just hope that they actually let players earn or lose a job in camp this year.For too many years now the team was picked before camp opened.

Haven't you repeatedly cried about Gagner being "ruined" because they let him earn a job in camp?

Avatar
#57 justDOit
August 02 2013, 07:41PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers

Does anyone know why the trash button is about 4 times larger than the props? And with text and an exclamation point to boot! The props button gets no benefit of literary devices like these.

Avatar
#58 Pajamah
August 02 2013, 08:35PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers

DSF posts that L.A. and Kyle Clifford have a deal in place, citing a tweet.

TRASH COMMENT 67 TIMES!!!!

I'm all for trashing a comment if the you disagree with the content, but just because you don't like the guy? Really?

Avatar
#59 Taylor Gang
August 03 2013, 07:54PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers
I am the Liquor wrote:

Where's the steaming pile of crap option?

Go home Lahey, you're drunk

Avatar
#60 Craig1981
August 02 2013, 09:02AM
Trash it!
11
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

A prospect is just that. Nurse and kelfbom could turn out to be busts. And his offense could turn out to be toop shelf.

Avatar
#61 Clyde Frog
August 02 2013, 10:15AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

I would keep him, if we graduate him at 23 or 24 that is not an extreme delay.

The roster is ever shifting and if he steps up in the AHL he may give us no choice but to find room. If not who knows how injuries or trades will affect our line up in the next 3 seasons.

If certain current roster players regress, get injured or just plain don't pan out it would be nice to replace from within; as opposed to trying to "win" a trade.

Avatar
#62 Dog Train
August 02 2013, 01:23PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

Nurse and Klefbom are untouchable. Marincin is available only for the right price. All of the prospects named in this article are legitimate at this stage in their development so they should only be moved for something that will make us better in the long run.

Avatar
#63 Fresh Mess
August 02 2013, 02:39PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

At least we have seen Marincin perform at the AHL level getting serious minutes.

Klefbom has played one year in the SEL getting low/soft minutes and then spent a year injured. Let's just ease off the hype and see how things unfold in October for starters.

Avatar
#64 Pouzar99
August 02 2013, 05:22PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

One of the biggest mistakes fans make is over-rating unproven prospects. Nurse may well turn out to be a very good NHL defenceman or even a legitimate top pairing D man down the road, but plenty of highly rated prospects with his kind of pedigree have not panned out. Klefbom is a surer bet at this point because he has demonstrated his competence against men, but still may not turn out to be anywhere near the top pairing D man we hope he will become. Or maybe they both will. We just don't know. In which case we can't afford to trade away a D prospect as promising as Marincin, who also is not guaranteed to pan out of course.

For years now, defence has been the Oilers greatest weakness. There is reason to expect that this year's new additions will improve that but we still do not have a legitimate top pairing. Petry and Smid plus Ference and J Schultz will probably give the team two legitimate second pairings and Schultz has the potential to be half of a top pairing down the road, IF he continues to develop his impressive offensive potential and vastly improves his defensive play. At this time it makes no sense to trade Klefbom, Nurse or Marincin unless they are part of a huge deal that brought us back an established top pairing D man, an unlikely event.

The only other possible reason for trading Marincin is if Oiler officials have concluded that he is not as good a prospect as we all assume he is.

Avatar
#65 Pajamah
August 02 2013, 08:59AM
Trash it!
27
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

The ability to trash comments. Oh, I can't hardly wait for the first time I disagree with an opinion in a Gregor or Brownlee article.

LT, what kind of return do you think MacT could get for Marincin? Or do you think he becomes a piece of something bigger?

Avatar
#66 Mo Deet
August 02 2013, 10:35AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

@The Soup Fascist

To my way of thinking, this is a perfect reason to keep both, and take the time to see what you really have in Gernat. There's room for growth all around. It might take longer in Gernat's case than in Marincins, but if it works out in the end who cares? There no room for Gernat the next two years anyhow. Three years from now? Bam.* Polished rookie, cheap cheap contract.

* best case scenario

Avatar
#67 Spydyr
August 02 2013, 02:50PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
Fresh Mess wrote:

At least we have seen Marincin perform at the AHL level getting serious minutes.

Klefbom has played one year in the SEL getting low/soft minutes and then spent a year injured. Let's just ease off the hype and see how things unfold in October for starters.

But,but the kool-aid is so tasty.

I just hope that they actually let players earn or lose a job in camp this year.For too many years now the team was picked before camp opened.

Avatar
#68 kelvjn
August 02 2013, 08:40AM
Trash it!
18
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

"...strong ability to pass the puck. His body has to get stronger from a defensive standpoint. He’s a six-foot-four, six-foot-five kid, but is he is pretty lean (187 pounds). That said, when you watch him, he has an excellent stick for poke-checking.”

So basically second coming of Poti?

Avatar
#69 Oiltimer
August 02 2013, 09:58AM
Trash it!
17
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

I still like the idea of combining that stellar sport of wife carrying with cheese rolling.

A new Olympic challenge sport !!

Avatar
#70 OilDieHard
August 02 2013, 12:47PM
Trash it!
33
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

^what about him? i don't think he has much of a future here, unless you mean as trade bait?

Avatar
#71 godot10
August 02 2013, 03:22PM
Trash it!
15
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
TigerUnderGlass wrote:

My favorite thing about this comment is the implication that you would not trade Marincin for Weber because of cap concerns.

Fact. The Oilers are currently basically at the cap.

Weber would put them way over the cap. So any trade for Weber, even if it is only Marincin, involves getting rid of a lot of other stuff at bargain prices.

Now, if you are another GM, and go way over the cap in the off-season, are you going to let MacT off the hook. You aren't going to be able to dump junk. GM's are going to be asking for 1st round draft picks to go with junk, or they are going to be asking for one of the fab 5 at a bargain price.

The Oilers cannot give Ales Hemsky away at the moment. If you go 10% over, which a Marincin for Weber trade would do at this moment, then MacT is basically dropping his pants, bending over, and ...

You cannot divorce cap considerations from trade considerations in actual reality, like you can in the blogosphere.

One cannot discuss a trade for Weber without discussing how to fit him under the cap.

Avatar
#72 book¡e
August 02 2013, 08:12PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
justDOit wrote:

Does anyone know why the trash button is about 4 times larger than the props? And with text and an exclamation point to boot! The props button gets no benefit of literary devices like these.

Cuz' Wanye, he done sellout to da man, and da man be push'in trash. He don't care 'bout no props!

Avatar
#73 Hammers
August 02 2013, 11:25PM
Trash it!
15
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
harp wrote:

I can see Marincin being pack of a package in a trade as others have mentioned by why would any team want him alone when dealing a legit NHL player. Is he anything special? The answer is no.

You have no idea .

Avatar
#74 MessyEH!
August 02 2013, 10:48AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan wrote:

since it is actually August is it ok for us to discuss trading prospects again?

asking for a friend.

Congratulations your comment has won... the internet.

Avatar
#75 chris
August 02 2013, 11:53AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

dealing any defensemen would be dumb. not much more to say than that!

Avatar
#76 Mo Deet
August 02 2013, 06:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

@The Last Big Bear

Sure, no one is untradeable, and Marincin may 'only' be a depth defenceman on a competitive NHL roster (if he makes the show at all). Two things though:

If he does make it, Marincin is a different type of depth defender than say Mark Fistric or Teddy Peckman, in that he projects as a guy who can take and make a pass.

In a cap world, there's value in having guys whose level of play falls within, but rarely above, their position in the lineup (and whose skill set fits team need/philosophy). Even with all the pieces in place, no one anymore can afford to be the Habs of old. Not for more than a season or two. Chicago's the closest we'll see, and they've been both smart and lucky.

Avatar
#77 TV6
August 02 2013, 08:23PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
Oiler Al wrote:

IF you are trading him, at least send him to the |Wings, they know how to develop players!

Talking about trading decent prospect barely out of junior , for what.. some third or fourth line grinder.

In the meantime get rid of some of the garbage, like |Plant, and Tuebert, |Hamilton.

The Oil have already flushed Tuebert & Plante...

x6

Avatar
#78 russ99
August 03 2013, 07:59AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

The Chara comparisons are interesting, but Marincin has been compared to Chara since before he was drafted.

With Marincin's improvement in play over the last season on OKC it behooves the Oilers to wait and see on Marincin. It is true, he could fill out and become a heck of a player and he'd be a valued inexpensive piece on a cap team next year.

IMO Marincin has a better chance of helping the Oilers this year than Klefbom, who's raw, missed significant time hampering development, and needs substantial ice time in OKC to get use to North American hockey. The decision between who to keep between Marincin and Klefbom would be better made next summer.

It also seems that the "trade Marincin" crowd is thinking so since we really have nobody else left to trade. :)

Avatar
#79 Romulus' Apotheosis
August 02 2013, 09:08AM
Trash it!
13
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

"Here's what the Oilers had bubbling under on the blue in 2010 bubbling under"

That's some kind of underwater volcanic event!

Avatar
#80 Spydyr
August 02 2013, 03:28PM
Trash it!
16
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
TigerUnderGlass wrote:

Haven't you repeatedly cried about Gagner being "ruined" because they let him earn a job in camp?

Gagner was not ready he did not earn a job in camp.He still can't play in his own end of the rink.He was rushed like far too many Oiler players.

Avatar
#81 Rocket
August 02 2013, 04:33PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

I don't know if they can keep all of their top D prospects. If it works out, then great for The Oilers but I don't see it happening. If trades are required to make the team better, any of the D prospects are going to be targeted above the forwards minus the kids.

Is trading Marincin & Klefbom worth a second line centre? I don't know but it would be interesting to see who they could get.

I hope they keep & sign them but with the cap fluctuating the way it does from year to year I wonder if The Oilers can fit them all in.

Avatar
#82 Kevrock
August 02 2013, 10:07PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

NO,NO,NO..This kid is a future Chara with more offence. You can't teach size, let him fill out and then earn his way up the depth chart but under no circumstance do you trade him. I don't care if a top pairing/first liner is offered this guy is legit just a question of how long it takes. For those that are laughing how many years did Chara take to become the beast he's credited as now!

Avatar
#83 seanjohn
August 03 2013, 09:53AM
Trash it!
18
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Smokey wrote:

I've looked at Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin, Gernat as untouchables unless in a deal for a number 1 defender. When people "throw in" Gernat and Marincin into deals they want. Let all theses defenders develop slowly, and in 3 years we will have the best group of young defence in the league.

there is logic to this view. my fear with this is two fold:

1. by the time Nurse/Klefbom/Marincin/Gernat are a great D-core, Eberle and Hall will be near the end of their contracts. if you are comfortable with the Oil winning with above D-core + RNH/Yak + whatever you trade Ebs/Hall for as the REAL core, then fine, I suppose. i don't want to wait that long.

2. this fan base is on the verge of exploding. many have had enough with Klowe's act and are ready to pull the pin because they know he is there for life. i, myself, have adopted a 2nd favourite team to cheer for in the playoffs since i can barely remember the feeling of cheering for a winning Oilers club. the Oilers are near becoming like the Bluejays/Raptors for many people: the team we cheer for because they're close to home, until August comes and we cheer for the the Cardinals/Dodgers or Spurs/Thunder.

Avatar
#84 Smokey
August 03 2013, 12:31PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
seanjohn wrote:

there is logic to this view. my fear with this is two fold:

1. by the time Nurse/Klefbom/Marincin/Gernat are a great D-core, Eberle and Hall will be near the end of their contracts. if you are comfortable with the Oil winning with above D-core + RNH/Yak + whatever you trade Ebs/Hall for as the REAL core, then fine, I suppose. i don't want to wait that long.

2. this fan base is on the verge of exploding. many have had enough with Klowe's act and are ready to pull the pin because they know he is there for life. i, myself, have adopted a 2nd favourite team to cheer for in the playoffs since i can barely remember the feeling of cheering for a winning Oilers club. the Oilers are near becoming like the Bluejays/Raptors for many people: the team we cheer for because they're close to home, until August comes and we cheer for the the Cardinals/Dodgers or Spurs/Thunder.

Both Klefbom and Marincin get a cup of coffee this year, and one plays next year.

Nurse plays next year.

Gernat is 3 years.

Hall and Ebs new contract is just starting.

Avatar
#85 horndog77
August 02 2013, 09:54AM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

Justin Schultz / Jeff Petry/ Oscar klefbom/ Darnell Nurse and perhaps Martin, those should be the future of the defense. Any other current player should be used to upgrade the third and fourth lines. Not saying to trade players like Smid and newly acquired Ference this year but teams will get injuries and by my count Edmonton has too many D

Avatar
#86 ghostofberanek
August 02 2013, 10:24AM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

@borisnikov

I agree fully, Marincin's a keeper and Gernat should be the trade piece (the problem being every other NHL team sees his defensive deficiencies as clearly as the Oil do). Your solution of moving him up to forward is good, outside the box thinking with no risk and (potentially) big reward. Just what I'd expect from a fellow class of '97 alumni ;)

Avatar
#87 The Soup Fascist
August 02 2013, 10:28AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

Marincin and Gernat are virtual clones. They are both lanky 6'5" Slovak defensemen who honed their trade in the WHL. Both are above average with the puck and have excellent mobility for their size. Both lack a physical element to their game. They are a year apart. And most amazingly are both named Martin and are from the same city - Kosice. Wow. Spooky - but I digress.

The big difference for me is D-zone understanding. Marincin became reasonably adept in his own end over the course of the last year at the AHL level. My guess is Gernat is going to require some re-wiring. I watched a lot of Oil Kings games in 11-12 and after Gernat's return from injury in 2013. The guy was unquestionably a threat to score - at both ends of the ice. At the WHL level he made high risk plays that were at times, to say the least - puzzling.

Maybe the total lack of defensive acumen can be "coached up" next year, but I would push hard to include Gernat over Marincin if teams were calling. Problem is if a schmoe like me sees a difference, it is more than likely guys who make a living in the game have better insights and knowledge. My guess is even though they are listed 3 and 4 respectively in terms of prospects the gap is big and that - barring some stupid offer - is where the trade line should be, IMO.

Avatar
#88 godot10
August 02 2013, 02:00PM
Trash it!
14
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Spydyr wrote:

Madjam would trade Marincin straight up for Weber.

Please list all the other players you would have to get rid of at bargain prices to fit Weber under the cap.

Winning in a hard cap system is all about value for money.

Avatar
#89 Spydyr
August 02 2013, 04:25PM
Trash it!
18
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
TigerUnderGlass wrote:

He was rushed because he earned his job at camp. He just wasn't ready for it.

If he wasn't ready for it he did not earn it.It was given to him.

Avatar
#90 Smokey
August 02 2013, 05:39PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
godot10 wrote:

Fact. The Oilers are currently basically at the cap.

Weber would put them way over the cap. So any trade for Weber, even if it is only Marincin, involves getting rid of a lot of other stuff at bargain prices.

Now, if you are another GM, and go way over the cap in the off-season, are you going to let MacT off the hook. You aren't going to be able to dump junk. GM's are going to be asking for 1st round draft picks to go with junk, or they are going to be asking for one of the fab 5 at a bargain price.

The Oilers cannot give Ales Hemsky away at the moment. If you go 10% over, which a Marincin for Weber trade would do at this moment, then MacT is basically dropping his pants, bending over, and ...

You cannot divorce cap considerations from trade considerations in actual reality, like you can in the blogosphere.

One cannot discuss a trade for Weber without discussing how to fit him under the cap.

Oilers are at the cap because they have 24 available bodies. Two or three are going to OKC. Secondly if Weber was available which he is not, theres ways to bury contract, plus some contract would go the other way. You can not look at at capgeek and go holy crap. If the Oilers could get a number 1 with with a big ticket, playing with contracts aint hard.

Avatar
#91 Citizen Alpha
August 02 2013, 09:45PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
justDOit wrote:

Does anyone know why the trash button is about 4 times larger than the props? And with text and an exclamation point to boot! The props button gets no benefit of literary devices like these.

It's a new and sponsored feature, so we wanted to give it some emphasis. The dimensions may change over time.

Avatar
#92 Citizen Alpha
August 02 2013, 10:17PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

@justDOit

I think the trash votes are hilarious. Don't tell Wanye, but I make sure to trash every one of his comments.

By opening up voting to all visitors, it's tough to take the scores too seriously, though it is a shame that all votes are considered are equal. I'd like to think that voting as a citizen would carry more weight.

Just thinking out loud, we might consider a feature where if you are logged into your account, you can filter out all anonymous votes and see vote totals that only include votes by other fellow citizens.

Avatar
#93 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
August 02 2013, 10:31PM
Trash it!
11
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

If the Oilers have to move one of Klefbom, Nurse or Marincin for help this season. Moving Martin is a no brainer. Marincin and the first in 14 should help land a 2nd line center type like Couturier, unless he's untouchable like Seguin was.

I'd see if Petry and the first in exchange for Mezsaros and Couturier would get Holmgrens attention. Many would like to see management punch that accelerator now than wait for what might not be in two yrs. Heck, throw in Dubnyk into the talks and see where it goes. Our chances are every bit as good with LaBarberra as the starter as they are with Dubnyk. Bring in Theodore if you have to and help bridge the gap till MacT finds his guy. Buy out/move Hemsky if you have to and make room.

American leaguers inside your top four depth at center before the season even starts is a recipe for disaster. There's atleast hope in a top 5 that included RNH,Gagner,Couturier,Gordon and Acton/Miller/Arc heading into this coming season.

Avatar
#94 YFC Prez
August 02 2013, 10:51PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

Am I the only one who doesn't think Sean couturier is all that and a bag of chips? I don't know if I just haven't been watching enough but so far I don't really want him anywhere near an oilers jersey.

What's the appeal? Especially if you putting him in gagners spot?

Avatar
#95 seanjohn
August 03 2013, 09:36AM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
russ99 wrote:

The Chara comparisons are interesting, but Marincin has been compared to Chara since before he was drafted.

With Marincin's improvement in play over the last season on OKC it behooves the Oilers to wait and see on Marincin. It is true, he could fill out and become a heck of a player and he'd be a valued inexpensive piece on a cap team next year.

IMO Marincin has a better chance of helping the Oilers this year than Klefbom, who's raw, missed significant time hampering development, and needs substantial ice time in OKC to get use to North American hockey. The decision between who to keep between Marincin and Klefbom would be better made next summer.

It also seems that the "trade Marincin" crowd is thinking so since we really have nobody else left to trade. :)

you are right. along with the lack of patience. i am thru with waiting for the final prospect to finally develop into a player. that's why Tambo got fired. no more waiting. the time to act is now. it doesn't necessarily mean Marincin (tho he is the player opposing GMs will ask about), just any prospect. simple speed up the process. the rebuild should be over. it is time for this organization to compete in the here and now.

Avatar
#96 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
August 03 2013, 11:37PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
YFC Prez wrote:

Am I the only one who doesn't think Sean couturier is all that and a bag of chips? I don't know if I just haven't been watching enough but so far I don't really want him anywhere near an oilers jersey.

What's the appeal? Especially if you putting him in gagners spot?

Yeah....not sure how Couturier became so highly rated over the last few months....I mean the guy signed in Philly for 2 or 3 years for a buck 75...I mean how good is he if he signs for half of what Ottawa paid Kyle Turris?

I think Oilers fans may have got overhyped at the prospect of Holmgren and MacT talkin things over at the draft....

Avatar
#97 The Oilers Shot Clock
August 02 2013, 09:55AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

Context. I don't want to shop him. But if he's being targeted then if the right peice came back I'd be open for a trade. But that doesn't apply simply to marincin. I assume When MacT phones someone he asks them what they would like for so and so, not marincin is a available, what can I get for him. I reckon if any of those depth prospects become more NHL ready it would just increase their trade value anyways right?

Avatar
#98 The Soup Fascist
August 02 2013, 11:48AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Mo Deet wrote:

To my way of thinking, this is a perfect reason to keep both, and take the time to see what you really have in Gernat. There's room for growth all around. It might take longer in Gernat's case than in Marincins, but if it works out in the end who cares? There no room for Gernat the next two years anyhow. Three years from now? Bam.* Polished rookie, cheap cheap contract.

* best case scenario

I agree it would be cool to have the Slovak version of the "Twin Towers" albeit a lot less physical than the original Beukeboom / Smith duo of the late 80's. although the fact they both are LH shots could be problematic.

If I had to pick one right now it is clearly Marincin. But Gernat has the tools. Maybe Todd Nelson will be successful in adding defensive zone play to Gernat's resume. The D to F conversion thing is interesting should Gernat not adapt to defense at the next level. The kid has a heavy shot and loves to score. As mentioned above, that would be out-of-the-box.

Avatar
#99 The Soup Fascist
August 02 2013, 11:48AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Mo Deet wrote:

To my way of thinking, this is a perfect reason to keep both, and take the time to see what you really have in Gernat. There's room for growth all around. It might take longer in Gernat's case than in Marincins, but if it works out in the end who cares? There no room for Gernat the next two years anyhow. Three years from now? Bam.* Polished rookie, cheap cheap contract.

* best case scenario

I agree it would be cool to have the Slovak version of the "Twin Towers" albeit a lot less physical than the original Beukeboom / Smith duo of the late 80's. although the fact they both are LH shots could be problematic.

If I had to pick one right now it is clearly Marincin. But Gernat has the tools. Maybe Todd Nelson will be successful in adding defensive zone play to Gernat's resume. The D to F conversion thing is interesting should Gernat not adapt to defense at the next level. The kid has a heavy shot and loves to score. As mentioned out-of-the-box.

Avatar
#100 hammers
August 02 2013, 01:40PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

Anyone is tradeable but that includes nurse or klefbom .you don't trade a 1st year'd'who had a good ahl season unless the return is a proven top 4 'd' who's cap maybe high or any other reason . Untill klefbom shows what he can do in the ahl we wait . As for nurse his going back to junior and anything can happen like injuries or a fall off .If all goes well i see all 3 in oiler uniforms with justin . Petry maybe the one traded if you think on it .

Comments are closed for this article.