BRANDON DAVIDSON BEATS CANCER

Jason Gregor
August 21 2013 12:11PM

Last November, Brandon Davidson received news that no young man wants to hear. He was diagnosed with testicular cancer. The former Regina Pat, and 2010 sixth round pick of the Oilers was devastated, but he didn't let it defeat him. Nine months later Davidson is feeling great, and I spoke with him about his ordeal, and how it has changed him.

Davidson joined Brownlee and I on my radio show yesterday to talk about the past nine months, and his plans for the future.

Jason Gregor: Quickly take us through when you first found out you had testicular cancer; and what was your reaction?

Brandon Davidson: It was tough to take at the time and very emotional and kind of an unsettling feeling going into the whole process. I was diagnosed on October 30th and shortly after November 1st we went right on the operation table and we had to remove the testicle. From there on out I basically had to recover and to do about a month and a half of chemo therapy, and that went very well.

Basically I’m all good now. It took a long time to get the strength and the energy back; it really takes it out of you. But I was happy to come back and play a little hockey at the end of the season.

Gregor: How did you find out you had testicular cancer?

Davidson: I wasn’t feeling the greatest, but we just did a regular checkup with the team that we do at the beginning of the season. We found a lump and that’s how it was discovered and how it was dealt with, basically after that we went to the doctor’s and got it all checked out.

Robin Brownlee: It was really remarkable how quickly you did come back. Is this thing in the rearview mirror for you now, or are there still checkups?

Davidson: Basically it is in the rearview mirror now. There is a checkup that we do every three months, but for the most part it’s just a standard checkup to make sure that nothing does come back. It’s fairly standard that most cancer and most testicular cancer survivors have to go through. For right now, I’m as healthy as an ox and I couldn’t be happier with the Oilers organization and the medical team that helped me get through that.

PUSHING TO PLAY....

Gregor: You talked about your strength and that you are healthy as an ox now, but when you returned for games late last season, where is your strength then as compared to now?

Davidson: Then I was sitting at about 65, 70%. I didn’t feel the greatest, but I did want to play and I did want to make an impact, especially it being my first year as a pro hockey player. It was a battle to just get back on the ice and then playoffs are a whole other level. It just was engrained on my mind that I needed a big playoff performance. I do want to be at the next level, the NHL, and I knew that the playoffs were very big for me so I pushed my body to the max, let alone it only being at 75, 70% sort of thing. Right now I feel 100%. I had a great summer in the gym and on the ice too. I believe it’s definitely time for me to take it to the next level now.

Brownlee: Let me ask you about a couple of things; I remember seeing a picture of some and your OKC teammates, they did the head shave thing, the way that the team and the organization rallied around you and also one specific player, Taylor Fedun. There had to be some uncertain times for you just as there were for him. He’s been through this with that badly broken leg, how important was the support that you received from around you?

Davidson: It was extremely important. It was the only thing that kept my mind busy and away from the cancer stuff. It was very huge just having everything at my disposal, from the Edmonton Oilers taking care of the medical part of things and getting me back to where I am today, and keeping my spirits up.

Taylor Fedun, he’s my roommate, he’s my brother, he’s my best friend, and he’s a good guy. He helped me through everything. He made things fun for me. He got things off of the top of my head, and had me thinking fun. It was a good effort from all of the guys, but just that little extra effort from him being around me 24-7 and really seeing the struggles that I had to go through. I couldn’t have done it without him, he’s a great man and my hat goes off to him.

LOOKING WITHIN...

Gregor: What did you learn about yourself going through testicular cancer?

Davidson: I really learned how far you can push the body and you can push the limits on things. There was a lot of down time and reflecting on stuff, but I always knew that I was going to get through this and that it was very curable and that when I come back that my new outlook on life was that everything would have meaning. And everything that I do now, even on the ice or with my family, everything has meaning now and there is a purpose to all of it. I put that little extra in all that I do, and I’m putting that little extra into hockey just trying to get to that next level.

Brownlee: You’re a young man, 22 years old, training camp approaches, you say that you’re healthy, strong as an ox. What’s next for Brandon Davidson?

Davidson: You know what; I’m very excited for camp. We go to the rookie Penticton camp soon and that’s a lot of fun and that’s great. I can’t wait to be there for that but I’m looking forward to main camp. I’m looking to make a great impression, to keep progressing and moving forward in my development and if my development has pushed me far enough to be on the Oilers then that’s where I want to be. If it hasn’t I want to be getting better down in OKC and just keep improving.

Gregor: What do you feel are your areas of strength, what do are your areas you need to improve the most on?

Davidson: My areas of strength are my defensive play, my ability to move pucks whether that be in the D zone or the neutral zone. The few things that I need to work on are just moving my feet and getting my pivots a little better. I feel I’ve come a long way though, and that they’re right there with other players, but you’ve always got to be that much better.

Brownlee: When you look at this roster of players there is some depth on the blueline. Do you just put that out of your mind and do what you do, or do you have to be aware of who’s going to camp?

Davidson: You know what, I always tell myself before even day one that it doesn’t matter who’s there. It’s up to me to decide how far I’m going to go and how far I’m going to push myself. I don’t care what the next guy is doing and I don’t really look upon that as a marker, other than these guys are going to be my teammates. I want to be better for them so I’m going to push myself as hard as they would want to be pushed. In the long run the best man is going to come out on top, but these are my teammates and these are people that I want to be a leader among one day and look towards improving.

Gregor: Battling, and then beating cancer, taught you have how far you can push your body. Has that helped you in the gym, not stating that you didn’t work hard before, but do you feel that you had more to give before and then battling and beating cancer helped to recognize that?

Davidson: To be honest with you I don’t know if that’s what ignited it, but that’s the pivoting point and that’s where I found that extra gear, and realized there was another level for me, and even more levels to go to. Just going through that whole experience and really taking a new outlook on life made me grab that whole other gear and made me push myself even harder. It was a big summer for me, especially trying to get my health back to 100% and I feel that it’s there now. I felt like I’ve improved a lot and I have a lot to show.

Brownlee: What’s your routine like now in terms of when do you get back on the ice, and are you bigger and stronger than you were last year?

Davidson: I’m 210 lbs, so I put on a few pounds this summer. 210 pounds is a good weight for me, but basically I have a trainer here in town and I work with guys like Devin Setoguchi, Chris Versteeg, Rob Klinkhammer, and numerous KHL and European players. We push each other very hard at our gym and we rent the ice. We don’t do the Perry Pearn thing, but we have a guy named Mike Dyck who comes out and runs the ices for us and keep us in top shape. Also we’ve gone to Edmonton a few times and we work on things with Steve Serdachny (Oilers skill and skating coach). That’s basically how I get ready.

PARTING SHOT

After speaking with Davidson it is impossible not to be pulling for the young man. Just listening to him talk was inspiring and motivating. He's a guy who likely needs a few years of seasoning in the AHL, but after battling and defeating cancer, he's shown he's resilient, and I wouldn't rule him out a guy who will battle for a potential 3rd pairing spot in the future.

I wish him all the best.

RECENTLY BY JASON GREGOR

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#1 Quicksilver ballet
August 21 2013, 05:41PM

His battle may not be over yet. He may very likely be okay for 5 or 10 yrs. Who knows what has metastasized in his bloodstream. He may live along fruitful life with cancer/under control, but it may be awfully premature to say he's beaten cancer.

Best wishes to Brandon Davidson, hope he gets all his energy back, and more. With Craig MacTavish in his corner/backing him, he'll get a real shot at making this club.

#2 Charlie Huddy
August 21 2013, 07:41PM

I just trashed a comment from November 17, 2007. Didn't read the comment but satisfying none the less.

#3 Stan
August 21 2013, 12:41PM

As always Gregor, excellent interview. You always think of good topics, and this was one of the best. I didn't know much of Davidson before this, but he sounds like a great young man. I wish him all the best. Thanks for the read.

#4 wigswag
August 21 2013, 12:45PM

This is the type of compete the oilers need in the lineup. (always striving for the next level) He's way ahead of the curve, hope he continues.

#5 jake
August 21 2013, 06:00PM

His health scare seems to be in rear view mirror. That is great for him, allowing him to persue his dream of being an NHLer.

"It was very huge just having everything at my disposal, from the Edmonton Oilers taking care of the medical part of things and getting me back to where I am today, and keeping my spirits up."

Very fortunate to have a pro sport organization supporting him like he suggests......a very rare thing, ...take advantage of the help.

#6 hemi
August 21 2013, 07:53PM

Kudos to this young man! Gotta love it. It takes all the courage in the world to face the harshness of reality and decide to tackle it. Kind of lets the rest of us computer-commandos take notice of where the bear actually does his business. I hope he goes further than his own expectations and beyond his nay-sayers.

#7 freeze
August 21 2013, 12:20PM

All the props in the world to this young man! I hope he continues to improve and gets a cup of coffee in the NHL soon.

#8 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
August 21 2013, 12:33PM

Dude sounds tough as nails.

Good for him!

Let's hope his story gets even better.

#10 RexLibris
August 21 2013, 01:07PM

Davidson > cancer

I'm very excited to see how he does in Penticton.

#11 Hayek
August 21 2013, 01:18PM

With all the negative stories that get so much attention about professional athletes lately, it is great to hear a story like this. It is hard not to root for a guy like Davidson (and also Fedun!)

#12 Archaeologuy
August 21 2013, 01:47PM

Congratulations to young Davidson. Seems like a humble and hard working man. I wouldnt want to bet against this kid.

#13 The Soup Fascist
August 21 2013, 01:57PM

What can you say? The kid has faced something NOBODY wants to take on and has come out the other side with great perspective, work ethic and wisdom beyond his years.

Let's hope things fall into place for him hockey wise, too.

#14 ubermiguel
August 21 2013, 02:00PM

Gregor, you always remind us about what's really important in life. Hockey is fun, and arguing about 3rd line centres or advanced stats is a great distraction, but life is about our relationships and making the most of our time between birth and death.

#15 Fresh Mess
August 21 2013, 02:15PM

Davidson and Fedun are very admirable young men.

#16 DieHard
August 21 2013, 02:55PM

This is a very interesting year for the Oiler organization regarding their defense prospects. In a couple of years we could be dealing from strength that used to be a weakness. Bodes well for future trading options. Shutup DSF.

#17 vetinari
August 21 2013, 04:29PM

Big f---ing props to this young man! Now that's a warrior...

#18 OILERSORDEATH
August 21 2013, 05:06PM

Way to go Brandon! Proud of you man. I had Lymphoma (non-hotchkins) cancer when I was 14 and now I'm 39 and still kickin! It's good to hear about other people kickin Cancer ass!

#19 Racki
August 21 2013, 10:46PM

How can you not root for this guy to force his way into the lineup somehow? It would be a huge shock if it was this year, so I don't expect that, but I'm pulling for him and hope that in a few years he could be a household name.

Great attitude too, and sounds like a leader. Might be one of the hidden gems that isn't getting the hype he will likely deserve. He has good size and put up some great numbers in Regina. I don't put a lot of stock in +/-, but it's good to see him on the right end of that too.

#20 CaptainLander
August 22 2013, 09:49AM

Hope things continue to work out, he and Fedun are on the list of people you would like to see play in the NHL one day. Great attitude, great work ethic and great role models for kids.

2015 - 2016 D lineup?

Klefbom Schultz Marincin Nurse Gernat Musil Fedun Davidson

I like it.

ps Petry was moved in 2014-2015 as a deadline trade that brought in a player that would help push for the playoffs

Smid was traded the following summer after a first round exit and spending much of the year on the IR (2nd round pick)

oops now I will get trashed but will assume it is not for the first comment, cause that would be rude.

#21 106 and 106
August 21 2013, 11:30PM

In the words of LT, this is one guy you cheer like hell for.

#22 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
August 22 2013, 07:31AM

Maybe it's just me, but damn Gregor you were missed while gone on your trip. Some damn fine radio that has lead to some damn fine write ups.