SAM GAGNER TO BE NAMED C14

Wanye
August 27 2013 09:26PM

Now many moons ago back in 2009 your ol' pal Wanye tripped over some news at the bottle depot when we found out that Mike Comrie was coming back to the Oilers for a second tour of duty. 

Everyone under the sun called us a liar, a dreamer or worse but history ultimately proved us correct. It seems that even now and again a garbage can gets another steak because we have a second bit of news a mere four years later.

Sam Gagner is going to be named the 14th Captain of the Edmonton Oilers.

THE PROCESS

Apparently when the Oilers trade their Captain - which happens all too often sadly - one of their final duties on the way out the door is to weigh in on who should replace them at the helm of the team. Jason Smith begat Ethan Moreau. Ethan Moreau knighted Shawn Horcoff. And now Horcoff put 89's name in the ring as the man most deserving to be his successor.

Once that occurs the powers that be at the Oilers offices huddle together and discuss the candidate's worthiness. It seems Samwise has passed the mustard with Katz, Lowe, MacT and Eakins and will be named the C14.

THE THINKING

Sam Gagner is one of those guys who mysteriously gets little love from the OilersNation. A mere 9 months older than our beloved Jordan Eberle he already has 6 NHL seasons under his belt and has fared quite well despite what some folks will tell you.

In 414 GP he has potted 91 goals, 167 assists and 258 points including the fabulous 8 point night back in 2012 that caused a bare bummed Travis Dakin to streak down the freezing streets of Fort McMurray much to the delight of the entire internet.

In many games during the past few disappointing seasons Gagner was one of the few Oilers who kept the foot on the gas all the way to the final match of the season, refusing to mail it in on even the meaninglessest of games. And his leadership didn't end there - he was also one of the few Oilers who were willing to face the post game media scrums night after night.

And although the Oilers and Gagner's camp have had trouble reaching a long term contract his three year deal announced on July 22nd was enough certainty to name him the fourteenth Captain in team history.

THE RESULT

With Gagner wearing the C it eliminates the gun fight between Hall, Eberle, Yakupov and The Nuge for ownership of the team. Whose team is it? Effectively this move makes it everyone's team.

And even more so - the team belongs to Sam Gagner as he joins the likes of Gretzky, Messier, Lowe and Weight in the pantheon of legends as the newest Captain of the Edmonton Oilers.

Maybe we are wrong. We highly doubt it. So how you like him now haters?

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
Blog so hard motherf**ckers try and find me. Email me at wanyegretz@gmail.com or tweet me @wanyegretz provided it is about Jordan Eberle or babes.
Avatar
#51 Harry
August 27 2013, 11:14PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
67
props
DSF wrote:

Brooke Hogan is at least 3 inches taller than Sammy Snowpants and I've heard (not at the bottle depot) that she can go into the corners and come out with the ?@3#.

Her Dad, Hulk, has been working on crushing skulls for decades, while Sam's Dad, Dave, has been working on making the Canucks into a Stanley Cup winner.

Based on pedigree and size, Brooke would be a better choice for Captain.

Sucks to be Dave . Seems hes failing at making your beloved band of soft wimps any sort of cup team.

Tell me DSF, how does it feel when you look up to the rafters at Rogers arena and see a Stan Smyl and a Naslund banner? Eat it you pathetic troll!!

Avatar
#52 The Soup Fascist
August 27 2013, 11:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
32
props
DSF wrote:

Brooke Hogan is at least 3 inches taller than Sammy Snowpants and I've heard (not at the bottle depot) that she can go into the corners and come out with the ?@3#.

Her Dad, Hulk, has been working on crushing skulls for decades, while Sam's Dad, Dave, has been working on making the Canucks into a Stanley Cup winner.

Based on pedigree and size, Brooke would be a better choice for Captain.

Dave needs to work (a lot) harder.

Avatar
#53 Harry
August 27 2013, 11:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
56
props
DSF wrote:

The Oilers have a long history of appointing mediocre players to be their captain.

Ground Hog Day.

In other news...the TSN Panel has predicted the Olympic roster.

Kunitz-Crosby-Stamkos

Staal-Toews-Nash

Couture-Tavares-Giroux

Sharp-Getzlaf-Carter

Bergeron-St. Louis

No sign of Gagner.

I wonder why?

Maybe because crosby, toews, giroux, stamkos, staal, bergeron, getzlaf are all centers. pretty tough to crack that list.

You realy have nothing better to do with your life than troll an oilers fan website. PATHETIC. Just like the rafters at GM place

Avatar
#54 Terran
August 27 2013, 11:29PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
+1
49
props

@DSF

"His point totals have been inflated by how desperate the Oilers were to sell tickets."

WTF does that even mean? KLowe was slipping the officials some green to give Gags points?

Please, enlighten us, o wise one...

Avatar
#55 hallsyoiler5
August 27 2013, 11:29PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
36
props

DSF, you make no sense at all. If Gag is only 2nd to Patrick Kane in points compared to everybody else drafted in the 1st round, then how are they considered better than Gagner? But since you said Perron was better, then go for it. Because he's going to be playing with Gagner as well. Twice the charm, if I do say so myself.

Avatar
#56 Jzed
August 27 2013, 11:29PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
44
props

Congrats to Sam, good kid, hard worker, skilled hockey player and stand up guy.

DSF laughs the loudest at his own jokes and yearns for external validation of his brilliance. Pain in the ass at parties and utterly irrelevant on OILER blog sites. Go Oilers!

Avatar
#57 dangilitis
August 27 2013, 11:41PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
52
props
DSF wrote:

Gagner is a mediocre player.

His point totals have been inflated by how desperate the Oilers were to sell tickets.

Logan Couture, Jakub Voracek, Max Pacioretty, David Perron, Kevin Shattenkirk, Jamie Benn and PK Subban, who were all selected after Gagner, are much better hockey players.

If Gagner, after all this time in the league isn't on the Team Canada radar, he isn't much.

Mediocre - "Of only moderate quality; not very good" - google that sh*t, buddy. I guess "isn't much" would constitute an adequate synonym.

Do you really think Gagner is not very good? Because that is what you have asserted here. In that case, your arguments thus far are: "point totals inflated" and "worse than Couture"/"not on Team Canada radar" do not prove that point. They are batsh*t crazy, actually. They may prove that he is not exceptional enough in 2013 to be considered amongst the top 45 Canadian players (over 600,000 registered Canadian hockey players last time I checked, which would place him conservatively in the 99.9925%ile of a top hockey nation). But he is a very good and skilled player, so I don't know how any rationally thinking human being can arrive at a different conclusion, hence my guess that you are currently on drugs - By the way, please tell me which one for future reference because I may decide one day to enter an alternate reality where very highly skilled players are perceived as "not very good".

Lets address the "inflated point totals comment" - If you consider the first 4 seasons of his career, leading point scorers on the team were Hemsky at 71, then 66, Penner at 63, then Eberle at 43. If you can find me many teams (many, not the Predators) with lower point totals amongst their leading scorers than that, then I could accept a hint of a trumped up argument by someone pulling at straws. Otherwise they are the accusations of a madman. Gagner's 8 pts in a game, while one night of greatness, runs directly counter to your claim that his point totals were inflated, as this achievement was last accomplished by Lemieux in an era where point totals truly were inflated.

Even if you add Kane to your list and presume that Gagner would still fit in the top 10-15 of his draft year, (which I will assume that you will try to do, but will start scraping the barrel and making outlandish claims that Riley Nash is poised to surpass Gagner any minute...) that is still not even close to mediocre. If you can prove that there are more than 50 players from that draft class, yes, then you have a good argument that he is mediocre. But you can't. By the way, you actually like a player that the Oilers brought in in Perron?

I can't believe I am even going to talk about the Canada team claim any further, but I will point out that he has donned the maple leaf as youngest player for the WJC winning team, as MVP of the super series, and rookie NHL member of the silver team at 2008 WC. Held 3 Oilers records by the age of 23.

So just admit it, you either didn't know the meaning of mediocre, or you are struggling to grasp what "not very good is" - if you are having trouble with this concept, take one of your posts, work exceptionally hard at improving its content and validity, have it proofread and edited by someone else, delete every comment that praises either the Canucks or Wild, and then it might just be mediocre. Might...

Avatar
#58 Craig1981
August 27 2013, 11:56PM
Trash it!
21
trashes
+1
6
props
Oil Can wrote:

This is Taylor Hall's team and they should give him the "C" that he deserves.

Have you heard off the ice issues with Taylor Hall?!?!? The reason Hall isn't the Captain is the same reason Patrick Kane isn't. Signing "F$%K off" jersey means he has some growing up to do. Gagner has gone through it and learned from it (remember the charging for autograph scandal?) Gagner is all class now

Avatar
#59 Czar
August 27 2013, 11:57PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
57
props

@DSF

"Hulk, has been working on crushing skulls for decades"

You've been giving skull for decades.

Avatar
#60 Bushed
August 28 2013, 12:06AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
6
props

Taylor Hall has wanted to lead this team from the day he was drafted, and has shown it consistently by leaving it all out on the ice every shift.

On the other hand, as a PR guy, Sam is more experienced and a more polished speaker. He has also shown signs of leadership in welcoming new players etc. (good in the dressing room). MacT also bought into the "Oiler for life" stuff from Sam's agent during recent contract talks. But is he the right choice?

Toews to me is a great example of a team captain. Who reminds you more of Toews on the ice--Hall or Sam?

Avatar
#61 Craig1981
August 28 2013, 12:08AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
14
props
DSF wrote:

Gagner is a mediocre player.

His point totals have been inflated by how desperate the Oilers were to sell tickets.

Logan Couture, Jakub Voracek, Max Pacioretty, David Perron, Kevin Shattenkirk, Jamie Benn and PK Subban, who were all selected after Gagner, are much better hockey players.

If Gagner, after all this time in the league isn't on the Team Canada radar, he isn't much.

4 most disliked comments all from you......guess thats what you were going for.

Yes, the little known fact that the Oilers were having Gretzky slip on Gagners sweater in the 2nd periods to inflate his points.......and that is why the Oilers have sold out since 2005.

And I don't know if you noticed but Canada has some pretty good players. Jamie Benn (who you JUST called a good hockey player), Iginla, Cam Ward.....all not in Calgary. If it was for team Belarus you might have a point.

try again

Avatar
#62 Serious Gord
August 28 2013, 12:24AM
Trash it!
55
trashes
+1
14
props

Terrible mistake to name gagner captain.

MacT has had him as the apple of his eye from the very beginning. Unfortunately gagner has no place on this team. If RNH is your number one centre you can't have a player of gagner's style as your number two. It's that simple. (An analogy would be having a compact sports could for a car and your wife having twins. The coupe is still a very fine car but you sensibly trade it for a mini-van or SUV.)

So rather than trade him and what ever or whomever else to get the right type of centre MacT has now tied him to the mast.

Ask your self this: how many people outside of oilers nation would have picked gagner to be captain? The clear number one - the player who has been the leader of this team on the ice almost every game - is Taylor hall.

But because he - apparently - doesn't toe the line that MacT et al set off ice he is denied what is rightfully his.

The clock is now ticking on when hall goes elsewhere. It's when - not if. And it won't be a pleasant parting.

What a messed up set of priorities oil management. And ownership has.

Avatar
#63 intoitoverit
August 28 2013, 12:29AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
+1
15
props
Craig1981 wrote:

Have you heard off the ice issues with Taylor Hall?!?!? The reason Hall isn't the Captain is the same reason Patrick Kane isn't. Signing "F$%K off" jersey means he has some growing up to do. Gagner has gone through it and learned from it (remember the charging for autograph scandal?) Gagner is all class now

There's just no way that can be true. If any NHL player did that the media backlash would be huge. I have no doubt they go out and party, but lets not believe everything we hear about the wonder kids.

Avatar
#64 DrDave
August 28 2013, 12:29AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
9
props

Everyone seems to forget Nuge is coming back from a relatively serious injury and if he isnt ready or even if he is (and not back to 100% Nugeiness) Sam may be our #1 C for some time this year. The kid is a stud and he is all heart! I can see the Jordan Staal / Crosby comparison but IMO I dont see Hall ready to take on the C yet... I still think he's 2-3 years away from being that all encompassing leader that we all want in him.

Good for Sam! Great player! C-15 will be Hall, no question!!

Avatar
#65 106 and 106
August 28 2013, 12:30AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
+1
19
props

Shoot - I thought Omark would get the nod.

Avatar
#66 Serious Gord
August 28 2013, 12:50AM
Trash it!
17
trashes
+1
6
props
DrDave wrote:

Everyone seems to forget Nuge is coming back from a relatively serious injury and if he isnt ready or even if he is (and not back to 100% Nugeiness) Sam may be our #1 C for some time this year. The kid is a stud and he is all heart! I can see the Jordan Staal / Crosby comparison but IMO I dont see Hall ready to take on the C yet... I still think he's 2-3 years away from being that all encompassing leader that we all want in him.

Good for Sam! Great player! C-15 will be Hall, no question!!

2-3 years from now both hall and gagner will still be in their prime years - under what pretext would gagner surrender the c willingly? Name another example of that happening.

The only way hall gets the c is if gagner is traded away. And that isn't going to happen on MacT's watch.

As for RNH not being back at the start - then sure gagner has a place on the team. But once RNH is back he is redundant/a bad fit. for the sake of a few games gagner should have been traded in the off season. Now, barring a truly hold move by MacT the team is set and as a result the rest of the league is going to relentlessly hit the oil to victory.

(IMO gagner should have been dealt before the strike - this redundancy was known even then)

Avatar
#67 Craig1981
August 28 2013, 12:51AM
Trash it!
17
trashes
+1
3
props
intoitoverit wrote:

There's just no way that can be true. If any NHL player did that the media backlash would be huge. I have no doubt they go out and party, but lets not believe everything we hear about the wonder kids.

I should of posted it as a well talked about rumor, totally my error. I personally do believe it to be true though. Regardless I have heard way too many poor stories to believe some are not true. Well all make mistakes though.

A good PR team does wonders.....remember when no one knew Tiger Woods was a cheater.

Avatar
#68 FTO
August 28 2013, 01:03AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
22
props

*Checks Oilers news and comments under them* . . . *DSF is picking fights with fans of a team he dislikes to get into internet arguments* . . . Ahhh another day in the life of OilersNation

Avatar
#69 Czar
August 28 2013, 01:05AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
19
props

@Serious Gord

2-3 years from now both hall and gagner will still be in their prime years - under what pretext would gagner surrender the c willingly? Name another example of that happening.

Fogolin gave up the C when it was clear that Gretzky was ready and it was his team. Fogolin definately wasn't in his prime but I feel Gagner is cut from the same cloth, he'd do whatever is best for the team.

Avatar
#70 skinny65
August 28 2013, 01:15AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
24
props

Usually it's pretty tough to say something dumber than DSF, but you managed it here Gord. Because the Oilers didn't give a 21 year old Hall the C, he is going to want to be moved? Hahha, that's the most ludicrous thing ever!! "And it wont be a pleasant parting" What are you even talking about? How does giving the C to someone else make that remotely true? Is Hall a 5 year old?

Avatar
#71 skinny65
August 28 2013, 01:19AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
8
props

Or is it the converse? Are you saying Oilers management is going to want to get rid of hall now? Cause that is even more ludicrous of an idea. The entire team is built around him and they all know he is the key to everything. Just because they dont want to give him the day to day pressure of the C, it doesn't mean they dont recognize that he is the golden child. Either way you look at it, your entire comment made about as much sense as barf.

Avatar
#72 seanjohn
August 28 2013, 01:23AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
15
props

I'm actually OK with it. While, it is a bit surprising, if you think about it, it shouldn't be. He is the oldest and most experienced of the young core. He certainly has leadership qualities and cares as much as anyone.

Gag C Hall A Ebs A

what's wrong with that? mark me down.

Avatar
#73 Eric
August 28 2013, 01:56AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
12
props

If this isn't someone's messed up sense of humor I for one hope Gagner gets the nod. Coaches and people within the organization are in the best position to make the right call.

I don't understand the haters. The selection of C-14 is not and should not be at the whim of on-line trolls who may not evev be legit Oil fans. Just sayin'

Avatar
#74 MessyEH!
August 28 2013, 03:06AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
+1
3
props
The Soup Fascist wrote:

Woodward, Bernstein, now Wanye?

Just who is YOUR "Deepthroat", Wanye?

Who have you "DeepThroated" Wayne?

My money is on Eberle. (Or Tracey Jordan pulled a set of gap toothed veneers out of the dumpster.)

http://www.hulu.com/watch/110300

Avatar
#75 Mike Modano's Dog
August 28 2013, 04:36AM
Trash it!
46
trashes
+1
6
props

I don't like it either. I haven't liked a damned thing Mac-bold moves-T has done since he replaced Tambolini because it was so easy to do better than he did. Where were all his f***ing draft day trades? Oh, maybe it's not as easy to do as you thought from afar. One deal he's pulled off of any significance and we overpaid dearly, imo. We'll have another injury-riddled player, who is small while letting another go with is younger, faster, healthier, and stronger. In a year or two if he isn't the best player I will take it back. But a concussion history on this team is not what you want to have. We are the target practice for 29 other teams out there...okay, maybe only 28.

Well, all he's done is f*** everything up. Surprise, surprise.

I agree with the writer above, MacT has tied his sail to Gags. We should have traded him when we had the chance. I'd much rather that than trade Ebs or RNH - because they're small! So, instead do we keep them all and remain the same size? No, actually we're smaller this year than last with the removal of some of our tougher players in the organization.

What a joke MacT is, Lowe, the whole gang. When the players leave town we won't be bragging about MacT then, we'll be lamenting the stars who have gone. Wait, maybe we can just blame it on them. It's not management's fault after all... it was Souray's fault wasn't it? Pronger's wife caused that too...

Must be nice to be a perfect A-hole like Lowe is - then get away with it, having a radio show dedicated to kissing his *** all the time, and selling his crap.

For the record, I don't think there is a more stand-up guy than Sheldon Souray is, and he told us the truth...when most wouldn't. (That's why we don't hear more of this, most don't.) How anyone in charge of the team could question his toughness, and make him feel forced to come back before he himself thinks he's ready (and still have a job) is beyond me.

Ranting - sorry, but I've lost it with these Oilers lately...or, I should say, they've lost me!!

Avatar
#76 Death Metal Nightmare
August 28 2013, 05:40AM
Trash it!
42
trashes
+1
7
props

the rationalization to give Gagner the C in this article is beyond stupid.

you guys are starting to become self-absorbed into your own fish bowl of players because of a couple drafts and AS F***ING USUAL you throw players into the roles they CANNOT HANDLE (give Horcoff 5 mil and throw a C on his jersey to blast his Hands of Stone around for a few years. then HURRY UP TO GET THE HELL RID OF HIM WHEN THE LOVE AFFAIR IS OVER) because the team is always two steps behind in overall talent.

"Well, the roster is still atrocious but we have a few kids with skill. better give the C to one of the kids who is a SKILL PLAYER THAT CANNOT GENERATE HIS OWN OFFENSE CONSISTENTLY BECAUSE HE IS NOT FAST ENOUGH, STRONG ENOUGH OR TALENTED ENOUGH. HE ONCE TRIED TO FIGHT A GUY WITH THE CAVEAT OF PENNER CRUSHING THE GUY IF HE WENT HARD WITH LIL SAM BOY. YOU ARE HEART AND SOUL YOUNG MAN. LEAD US NOWHERE WHILE WE WASTE TIME."

this is a total RUDY play. Joe Montana ripped that fantasy to shreds on Jim Rome. time to step out of the fish bowl fantasy, Edmonton.

F-

Give the C to Hall, you morons sitting in offices trying to act overly Fancy about Hockey.

Avatar
#77 mayorblaine
August 28 2013, 06:15AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
4
props

i'm torn.

on one hand i think Gagner, as a player, has many of the attributes necessary to make a great captin on an NHL team, even this one.

on the other, from a business/asset standpoint, why tie yourself to, what has been, a bargaining chip? seems illogical.

Avatar
#78 Wheresyourtowel
August 28 2013, 06:25AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
18
props

You honestly think Taylor Hall will throw a hissy fit and hit the bricks if he isn't named Captain at age 21?

I don't think you want him to be the Captain of your hockey team if that's the case.

Avatar
#79 Spydyr
August 28 2013, 06:27AM
Trash it!
36
trashes
+1
7
props

Sam reflects the current edition of the Oilers perfectly. He can't play defense, does not know how to play without the puck. Intimidates no one and is very easy to play against.

So all in all a nice fit

Avatar
#80 The Oilers Shot Clock
August 28 2013, 06:49AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
11
props

Off topic but Taylor Hall's name wasn't even mentioned once on the tsn panel. They don't even have him in the mix. The fact they think Eberle deserves consideration means they consider him the better player which is just nuts.

Avatar
#81 shanetrain
August 28 2013, 06:59AM
Trash it!
18
trashes
+1
6
props

Sam Gagner is a logical choice for the C.

Hall might be a little too hotheaded still at his young age. He will apprentice under Gags until he leaves in Free Agency to the Leafs in a few years time.

That is when this becomes Taylor Hall's team.

Avatar
#82 russ99
August 28 2013, 07:11AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
+1
4
props

I don't buy it, they haven't even started camp yet, and MacT was quoted that the coaching staff will decide.

Avatar
#83 Fogey
August 28 2013, 07:16AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
31
props

What??? This is absolutely ridiculous!!! Ben Affleck would make a terrible Batman! ....Wait..what was the question?

Avatar
#84 The Soup Fascist
August 28 2013, 07:35AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
13
props
russ99 wrote:

I don't buy it, they haven't even started camp yet, and MacT was quoted that the coaching staff will decide.

This is a good point, Russ. Really would anyone have given a rip who Shane Corson thought should be his successor? Or Ethan Moreau, who once was a very good leader but in the end seemed like a bit of a bitter guy, complaining about his ice time and taking selfish o-zone penalties? While it may have happened when a Gretzky or Messier left, I can't see it being anything but a coaches decision.

Having said that, if Wanye is correct, Sam is a fine choice. He is a bona fide top six guy who gives you what he has got and then some. No he does not win every battle but he sure the hell shows up. What is surprising is that this used to be a town that loved the scrappy underdog. The guy dropped the mitts with Francois "Freaking" Beauchimin, who was a half a person bigger than him, after he ran Eberle.

I know all Oiler fans are pissed after seven years of playoff absence, we damn well should be. But I am not sure the whipping boy should be a talented, well-spoken kid who plays with gumption and clearly wants to be here. The nay sayers who are just on here to say anything to get a rise are going to do that anyway - whatever. But the actual fans who are ( rightfully ) bitter and disillusioned should step back and take another look at who Sam Gagner is, IMO. All I am saying is IF he is named captain give this kid a chance to help lead this team. Better days are ahead.

Avatar
#85 Serious Gord
August 28 2013, 07:37AM
Trash it!
10
trashes
+1
2
props
skinny65 wrote:

Usually it's pretty tough to say something dumber than DSF, but you managed it here Gord. Because the Oilers didn't give a 21 year old Hall the C, he is going to want to be moved? Hahha, that's the most ludicrous thing ever!! "And it wont be a pleasant parting" What are you even talking about? How does giving the C to someone else make that remotely true? Is Hall a 5 year old?

Not now and not simply over this issue.

But rather one of many issues - lousy management and coaching; ice time; denial that he is the leader of the team; playing favorites with certain players (Smyth, hemsky, gagner et al) rather than doing the unsavory things required to win (trading them or telling them to retire with grace).

Avatar
#86 Serious Gord
August 28 2013, 07:38AM
Trash it!
11
trashes
+1
1
props
Czar wrote:

2-3 years from now both hall and gagner will still be in their prime years - under what pretext would gagner surrender the c willingly? Name another example of that happening.

Fogolin gave up the C when it was clear that Gretzky was ready and it was his team. Fogolin definately wasn't in his prime but I feel Gagner is cut from the same cloth, he'd do whatever is best for the team.

Clearly - and by your own admission - not an apt example.

Avatar
#87 Spydyr
August 28 2013, 07:53AM
Trash it!
22
trashes
+1
3
props
David S wrote:

Sorry man. All the justification you can bring to the table is negated by one simple fact.

No "mediocre" player EVER scored 8 points in a single game in the NHL.

None. Zero. Zip. Nada. Zilch.

Certainly there are better players than Sam. But he's definitely not mediocre.

I'm so tired of the eight points in one game stuff.

If Gretzky played between Ebs and Hall he would get eight points three times a year but then again he is in his fifties now.

Avatar
#88 mayorblaine
August 28 2013, 08:16AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
+1
3
props

if you use Hall's age as a predicting factor for failure as a captain, you need to be smarter. he's been on this team for 2 full and 1 half year now. that's plenty of time, regardless of his chronological age.

hall or eberle.

Avatar
#89 They're $hittie
August 28 2013, 08:35AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
10
props

way too much to say on this.

1. This is the big news of the summer and Copper and Blue are still circle jerking over omark. Yet another article this morning.

2. Ten reasons Gagner fits as Captain - Stands up for his teammates no matter the circumstances - Good friends with Hall and Eberle - Roommates with Nuge and Schultz - Instant Friendship and Chemistry with Yakupov (that pretty much sums up his fitting in with the core. - Plays all 3 disciplines and 4 if you include the shoot out, he has embraced and and all roles including 4th line - He recognizes his weaknesses and seem them as opportunities for growth - His Media abilities are flawless - 6 Years of experience and still young - His contract situation could see it as a bridge captaincy for Hall If he signs elsewhere or gets traded - Ovechkin failed as a Captain. Let your best player be your best player and not worry about the dressing room and media. Let Hall lead on the ice.

3. HUGE FAN OF HALL, but his attitude of the ice is well documented. I know numerous rexall and northlands staff and there are actually numerous stories of him being a donkey. The maturity will come, how many of us with fame and money at the age 18 wouldn't have an ego.

4. Your best player does not equal your best captain. Not that Eberle is any where close to being better than Yak, Hall, Nuge but what does he bring as a captain. His body language on the ice, no. His experience, No. His media abilities, No (not that there bad but he doesn't speak like a leader. He just does not seem as involved in the leadership as Gagner and Hall do. Where there is a case that the best player on a team is their captain they were not picked because of that. These players are usually the alpha male and that is why they are picked. Is Eberle or Nuge, (and yes I agree Gagner isnt) really more of the Alpha male over Hall or Yak. No

5. If the players voted, Gagner would probably still get the nod.

Avatar
#90 Mike
August 28 2013, 08:36AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
+1
7
props
Craig1981 wrote:

Have you heard off the ice issues with Taylor Hall?!?!? The reason Hall isn't the Captain is the same reason Patrick Kane isn't. Signing "F$%K off" jersey means he has some growing up to do. Gagner has gone through it and learned from it (remember the charging for autograph scandal?) Gagner is all class now

This story is obviously BS. Hall has a rep for not being as classy as say Ebs or RNH, but lets not believe everything you read on the internet. (By the way, did you hear Obama is having an affair with some blonde? It must be true!).

Gagner becoming captain of the team doesn't really mean anything to other players on the team. I highly doubt Hall, Eberle, Nuge or Yak really care whether they are named captain or not. They have enough pressure to deal with already.

This is likely just a decision made by management because Gagner has shown he can take the heat in the past. He is probably our most talented captain since Doug Weight. Since then, I don't think being the Oilers' captain has meant anything more than a player who fills the role is a leader in the locker room and a PR rep to the media.

Gagner is good. Hes not the most talented player on the team, but he is good. He gives it 100% every night. He makes a few mistakes, but he also makes a lot of great plays. He had a great year last year, and I think he'll be even better this year. Best of luck to him as captain.

Avatar
#91 Eulers
August 28 2013, 08:37AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
8
props

GANYE!! GANYE!! GANYE!!

Avatar
#92 They're $hittie
August 28 2013, 08:41AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
13
props

@Spydyr

So your saying that this is because of Hall and Eberle, who only got four points that night and that Gagner had nothing to do with it.

Where is Nuges 8 points.

Despite always playing with better linemates where is Eberles hattrick.

Your point seems to be that without those two he wouldnt have got 8 points. And maybe you are right but who is to say Eberle or Hall would have got 4 without him. OR Gretzky got 8 with out Kurri, or Lemiuex with out any on of the 6 studs he played with.

*George Laraque has a professional NHL hattrick, Jordan Eberle does not*

Please do not discredit Gagners 8 points by saying it was Jordan and Taylors doing.

And yes you are going to hear about it. I has been a year and a half of an event that hasnt happened in 20 years,

Avatar
#93 They're $hittie
August 28 2013, 08:44AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
19
props
Spydyr wrote:

I'm so tired of the eight points in one game stuff.

If Gretzky played between Ebs and Hall he would get eight points three times a year but then again he is in his fifties now.

also if you are tired of it you truly aren't an oilers fan. Finally through all the meritocracy something magical happens and you cant embrace it.

Avatar
#94 VK63
August 28 2013, 08:50AM
Trash it!
5
trashes
+1
2
props

Weird choice... but OK. In the end it just endorses the popular opinion that the wearing of the C is largely a media courtesy for the odd, "state of the team" address and rarely a "follow me boys" as they run through a wall on game day.

I suspect that in the room Gags is rather well accepted by young and old and in the end its JUST a letter after all.

So... hooray for Gags and the great oracle wanye for the earth shattering discovery. Will there be a "nation party" ???? I do hope so.... because partying with wanye is good stuff....... always.

For me personally as I view the C as a figurehead nod and nothing else, I would give it to Smyth in his final year as the young lads transition into the world of eakins.

Ferrence will have a lot to do with the integration of eakins way into the room. He is a consummate pro and completely fearless in calling team mates out in the room. In essence he has "balls". Not sure gags is blessed with much of a confrontational element.

Those who would contradict that using his yearly token "fights" as evidence to the contrary.

Meh.

Avatar
#95 nathan
August 28 2013, 08:50AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
0
props

@Wanye

Or you could be trying for a little of that Lowetide All Hail Rajala karma.

Avatar
#96 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
August 28 2013, 08:53AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
9
props

people talking about Hall partying etc would probably weep at some of the stories from the Messier/Gretzky days.

As long as the on ice performance doesnt suffer i dont care if they are out partying it up. I know if i was a 20 something millionaire in a town like this i would be partying it up too.

Avatar
#97 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
August 28 2013, 08:57AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
+1
5
props

I'm kinda torn. Gags is the logical choice based on experience, but I'm in the 'this is Hall's team' camp. Like I said a little while ago, a captain should be able to put the team on his back and drag them kicking and screaming into contention every night. I see that in spades from Taylor Hall, but not so much from Gags.

Avatar
#98 Larry
August 28 2013, 09:07AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
18
props
DSF wrote:

The Oilers have a long history of appointing mediocre players to be their captain.

Ground Hog Day.

In other news...the TSN Panel has predicted the Olympic roster.

Kunitz-Crosby-Stamkos

Staal-Toews-Nash

Couture-Tavares-Giroux

Sharp-Getzlaf-Carter

Bergeron-St. Louis

No sign of Gagner.

I wonder why?

I really wish you would go away... But, before that I'd like to hear about your hockey career...

Avatar
#99 michael
August 28 2013, 09:09AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
The Oilers Shot Clock wrote:

Off topic but Taylor Hall's name wasn't even mentioned once on the tsn panel. They don't even have him in the mix. The fact they think Eberle deserves consideration means they consider him the better player which is just nuts.

Eberle has proven International experience on the big ice. He is a clutch performer. Hall has yet to prove that internationally. TSN is going on track record not Hall's NHL numbers. Plus Hall is 21 for goodness sake. They are looking for guys who paid their dues previously. Proven performers. Hall would be a rookie in terms of this level. So would EBS but his performances in previous international tournaments merits him more consideration at this time.

Avatar
#100 Spydyr
August 28 2013, 09:15AM
Trash it!
7
trashes
+1
6
props
They're $hittie wrote:

also if you are tired of it you truly aren't an oilers fan. Finally through all the meritocracy something magical happens and you cant embrace it.

I have been an Oiler fan since the WHA.

You know what is magical to me. Another Cup. Not a freak occurrence in a nothing game. A game in which the other team clearly quit trying.

Some folks that were not around for the Cup years don't understand what winning is and what it takes to win. Seven years outside the playoffs is tough to swallow. Yeah, I'm jaded only because I have witnessed greatness in the Oilers and now all I see is mistake after mistake.

Comments are closed for this article.