WHAT A MAROON!

Lowetide
August 03 2013 08:15AM

The last acquisition of note for the Edmonton Oilers via waivers was Ryan Jones, a winger who has found a home with the club since coming over on waivers March 3, 2010. This fall, the club might find a gem or two on the waiver wire.

WAIVER WATCH 2013 (volume 1)

Patrick Maroon is a player I've been paying attention to for some time, as he's a nice possible match for the Oilers. A year ago, I wrote about him in my annual "Minor League All-Stars" feature and posted the following:

• PATRICK MAROON, SYRACUSE CRUNCH: Massive forward (6.04, 225) has some offensive ability and looks like he might be ready for NHL action at age 24. He went 75, 32-42-74 with Syracuse this season and the Anaheim Ducks may look to him this coming season. There are more talented wingers in the AHL, but Maroon's combination of size and skill will get him NHL employment soon. If not Anaheim, another NHL city. Perhaps Edmonton?

The Ducks--who acquired him from Philly in 2010 for former Oiler blue Danny Syvret--played Maroon in 13 games during the 2012-13 seasoon (he was 2-1-3 with 10 pims. He scored 26 goals in the AHL this year and he has grit (139 pims in 64 AHL games).

WHAT KIND OF PLAYER IS HE?

The Hockey News: Has tremendous size and good offensive instincts. Is willing to use his big frame to make plays. Passes the puck well and doesn't mind mixing it up with opponents. Produces big numbers at lower levels. Needs to improve his defensive-zone coverage and decision-making with the puck in order to become a mainstay at the National Hockey League level. Also, his skating is only average for the big league.

THE NEW PENNER?

Maroon has a lot of fans, one of them being his former coach Jon Cooper (Lightning head coach). He spoke during the winter about coaching Maroon during their time together with the St. Louis Bandits and then coaching against him in the AHL:

• Cooper: "I watched him in two years turn into a man. He was a really dedicated kid. Eventually somebody is going to find out that in the NHL there are a lot of good players who, quote-unquote, can't skate.''

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

Maroon is an interesting, titillating option for the Oilers as their ongoing search for size enters year 22. A big man like Maroon may lack footspeed, but he can take and make a pass, he has great hands in close and he's still working hard to establish himself in the NHL.

A Maroon? Yes, please.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#1 99thOilerfan
August 03 2013, 08:30AM

MacT + Maroon = Macaroon.... What a treat!

#2 The Soup Fascist
August 03 2013, 09:51AM
Clarkenstein wrote:

First time I see the word "vagina" in a hockey story. Must be the dog days of summer. Oy.

One can assume you have not been reading any stories about Alexandre Burrows.

#3 Yakman
August 03 2013, 08:22AM

If all it takes is a waiver wire pickup than they should do it.

#4 Walter Sobchak
August 03 2013, 10:30AM

LT - Do you have something against Kate Beckinsale, Jessica Chastain , Adriana Lima ?

No offense to Vera Farmiga or.......Jennifer Garner, but come on here! These women are farm animals compared to Beckinsale!

As for Maroon, I think a guy on the cusp like that gets picked up by the first 6 teams.

#7 The Soup Fascist
August 03 2013, 09:49AM

Not to be a Negative Nancy, but if the Maroonian one were put on waivers, would Tampa Bay not get dibs, based on lower point total last year? Reading Cooper's comments and history with the guy, you would think he would be all over Stevie Y to pick the kid up.

#9 RexLibris
August 03 2013, 09:10AM

Only if they can ice him in this jersey: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Maroons

Great team, great backstory, one of many storied franchises from a forgotten era.

#10 Clarkenstein
August 03 2013, 09:37AM

#11 Spydyr
August 03 2013, 08:55AM

"Needs to improve his defensive-zone coverage and decision-making with the puck "

Should fit right in to the bottom six.

#12 Quicksilver ballet
August 03 2013, 09:51AM

If MacT does pluck him off the waiver wire.....if he has a little early success, he could quickly become the next fan favorite here. The kid has to bust his hump for everything he gets.

#13 YFC Prez
August 03 2013, 08:38AM
99thOilerfan wrote:

MacT + Maroon = Macaroon.... What a treat!

he he he ... Im sold just on this comment alone.

I think Mac T still has a couple moves left before start of season, a waiver wire pickup like this Maroon kid is a good bet.

#14 RussL
August 03 2013, 06:01PM

Maroon would be a great pick up off waiver, sadly I don't think he'd make it to the Oilers at 6 or whatever it is.

Just as a side note, really Nation Creators? a Props and Trash button for comments? Why is this remotely necessary? Do the readers require this to enjoy coming to the site and reading the articles posted... Stuff like this dumbs the site way down in my opinion.

#15 Fresh Mess
August 03 2013, 06:04PM

Oh brother. Now we get to read endless trade proposals and Oiler line combos from ON readers featuring Maroon, just as we did in past months with Paul Ranger and Sean Couturier.

#16 gr8one
August 03 2013, 03:30PM

I wonder if the Oilers have any plans on bringing Cheechoo to training camp or even if he'll be back with the Barons, anyone hear anything on that front?

#17 seanjohn
August 03 2013, 10:03AM

Meh. just don't see it actually happening. i will get excited when i hear the news he was signed. before that, total skepticism/indifference.

#18 Rocket
August 03 2013, 12:25PM

I like this simple strategy of picking up players other teams don't want. So far Jones has shown he can contribute so why not go after other similar role players?

Like others said, I don't think Maroon falls to The Oilers but that would be wicked awesome if he did.

BTW what movie is that GIF of Vera Farmiga from?

#19 @Oilanderp
August 03 2013, 07:56PM

We could have had Maroon Sept. 30th, 2011, and again on Jan. 13, 2013.

Third time the charm?

#20 @Oilanderp
August 03 2013, 08:32PM

Hey remember years go when (last year) we were worried about losing our assets on the waiver wire, like Peckham? HAR HAR!

#21 Quicksilver ballet
August 04 2013, 12:46PM
The_CWD_GarbageMan wrote:

Cheecho can load garbage bins for CWD, because he won't be getting garbage goals for the Oil.

I think i'd rather see Cheechoo pull on an Oiler jersey, than see CWD continue to soil Oilersnation like it has for the last half week. I can only hope you run out of cash soon and we won't have to put up with you rubbing your trash in our faces much longer. Can any on your staff, put up 30 goals and 60 pts a season for $18.00 an hour, like Cheech has on a few occasions?

#22 Lofty
August 03 2013, 08:32AM

Heavy kid for 6'. I wonder what Yakupov is going tip the scales at this year?

#23 Senhor
August 03 2013, 09:09AM

Maybe MacT has asked him already, but whst is the downside to a PTO to Maholtra?

#24 Rama Lama
August 03 2013, 10:29AM

If this kid has curly hair, eats pancakes, and has a very self-deprecating style of humor, I suspect he will be billed as " Penner-2" and Mac T will have nothing to do with him.

I like the combination of size and skill, ........speed is over rated as there are fast players ( Cogliano) who never seem to know where to be. I would much rather have a slow player struggle to get to the right spot as opposed to a fast player constantly skating around in circles.

#25 Darrell
August 03 2013, 02:42PM
The Soup Fascist wrote:

One can assume you have not been reading any stories about Alexandre Burrows.

Props x 100 - I LOL as it was perfect !

#26 Senhor
August 03 2013, 09:09AM

#27 Naky
August 03 2013, 10:13AM

If he does go to waivers, I'd be shocked if Calgary let him slip by. They need big centers that can play as badly as we have.

#28 Smokey
August 03 2013, 12:25PM

I'd like to know why MacT rational of why he signed Jones for 1.5 mil on a off year when better, bigger, more talented NHL'ers went for less dough. Jones was a bad signing for 1.5. The Oilers have 4 million designated for 4rth line wingers, and pile of dough in 6-9 defenders, and no 4th line center, and arguably no third line winger.

#29 Darrell
August 03 2013, 03:47PM
gr8one wrote:

If he can help the team as a 3/4 liner and pulled into action on PP/Pk why not ?

#30 The Soup Fascist
August 04 2013, 10:12AM
99thOilerfan wrote:

So humbled!

I just got back in from touring on my Goldwing...

My comment had 73 Props! To quote Sally Fields,

" they like me! They really like me!"

( there is one for you LT, A young Miss Sally )

Apparently they DID like you ...... now not so much.

The trash / props button is a fickle mistress, my friend.

Or it may have simply been the "Goldwing" comment. Lots of Harley guys in Alberta. A fickle mistress, indeed!

#31 Clarkenstein
August 03 2013, 11:28AM
Lowetide wrote:

in fairness, I meant to write "Maroon, who was not born in Regina" but made an error.

LOL

#32 The_CWD_GarbageMan
August 03 2013, 05:24PM

#33 99thOilerfan
August 03 2013, 05:25PM
99thOilerfan wrote:

MacT + Maroon = Macaroon.... What a treat!

So humbled!

I just got back in from touring on my Goldwing...

My comment had 73 Props! To quote Sally Fields,

" they like me! They really like me!"

( there is one for you LT, A young Miss Sally )

#34 Lofty
August 03 2013, 08:42AM
Lowetide wrote:

6.04.

~that's with his skates, right?~

#35 StHenriOilBomb
August 04 2013, 09:32AM
RussL wrote:

go read Wayne's last incoherent ramblings... It will answer your question.

#36 Quicksilver ballet
August 04 2013, 12:56PM
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

[Mom and Dad walk in the door after dinner and a movie]

The babysitter fell asleep. While she was sleeping, some gangsters broke in and ate the rest of the chocolate cake.

#37 BArmstrong
August 03 2013, 01:09PM

@Rocket

UP IN THE AIR maybe?

#38 BillHK
August 03 2013, 02:42PM
Lofty wrote:

Heavy kid for 6'. I wonder what Yakupov is going tip the scales at this year?

Maroon is 6'4", not 6'.

#39 99thOilerfan
August 03 2013, 06:25PM

Just Say'n....

#40 Hammers
August 04 2013, 10:55AM

If not Maroon I do expect McT to add something come Sept but it maybe a UFA if not waiver wire .

#41 russ99
August 05 2013, 04:54PM
gr8one wrote:

Not sure how many non-dev contracts the Barons are carrying right now.

But the rule is they have to ice 13 developmental skaters, and 12 of them have to be under 260 pro games.

Right now if I had to guess, the non-development Barons would be Nesbitt, Ford, R. Hamilton, Acton, Eager and maybe Potter and Joensuu.

So if the Oilers are going to add a former Baron, IMO, that would be Josh Green way before they look at bringing Cheechoo back,