GDB -6: JETTING TO WINNIPEG

Jason Gregor
September 17 2013 08:00AM

The Oilers will have their pregame skate in Edmonton this morning, and then fly to Winnipeg this afternoon to take on the Jets. That would never happen in the regular season, but that's life in the preseason.

For many of the veterans it is another opportunity to sharpen their skills, while those on the bubble hope to impress Dallas Eakins, and for some it is likely their final preseason game.

After Saturday's split-squad games vs. the Flames the Oilers have had a few days to try and learn Eakins new systems. It will take a few games before every player is completely comfortable with the new system, so expect a few defensive breakdowns.

 When you look down tonight's roster it seems easy to pick who falls into the category of veteran sharpening his skill, bubble boys and guys destined for reassignment.

LINEUP

Jones-Gagner-Omark
Joensuu-Lander-Pitlick
R. Hamilton-Arcobello-Yakupov
Moroz-Martindale-Abney

Smid-Petry
Grebeshkov-Klefbom
Larsen-Davidson

LaBarbera
Bachman

Gagner, Jones, Yakupov, Smid, Petry, Grebeshkov and LaBarbera are safe bets to be on the team.

Lander, Joensuu, Omark, Hamilton, Arcobello and Larsen are in battle for a roster spot up front or on the backend.

Martindale, Abney, Bachman, Pitlick and Davidson will be heading to OKC eventually.

It looks like Klefbom will start the season in OKC, which will allow him to get comfortable to the North American game, and I won't be surprised if his recalled at some point this season.

Moroz will be heading back to junior, likely on Wednesday, and get set for the Oil Kings season opener this coming Friday.

Joensuu, Hamilton and Arcobello had strong first games, but playing well early in preseason isn't as important as playing well late when the rosters are filled with more NHL caliber players. They will need to build on their strong start to stay ahead of the pack.

Omark, Lander and Larsen were okay in their debuts, but a strong performance tonight could put them right back on track. Tonight is Pitlick's first opportunity to impress the coaches, and he feels he is ready to take a serious run at a roster spot. Davidson has impressed early in camp, but he'll need some more seasoning in the AHL before he's ready for a regular

Tonight's game will be streamed live on the Oilers website at 6 p.m. MST.

JETS LINEUP...

Tonight's lineup will come from this group of forwards and D-men. It sounds like the top three lines and top four D-men will dress, and then the 4th line and final D pairing will be decided at the morning skate. When I get confirmation I will edit the lineup to the usual 18 skaters.

***Edit*** Here is the Jets lineup.***

Kane-Jokinen-Setoguchi
Wright-Scheifele-Frolik
Telegin-Slater-Peluso
Tangradi-O'Dell-Klingberg


Byfuglien-Clitsome
Stuart-Postma
Trouba-Melchiori

Pavelec
Montoya

DALLAS THE DOER

Yesterday on my radio show, Ryan Jones talked about gaining confidence, trying to get back to his style of play and the impact Eakins has had on the organization. 

Jason Gregor: It’s pre-season and I’m not sure if there are any studies that say that if you score in the pre-season, it carries over but it’s always good to score for a guy like you. Does it build confidence when you get a goal early in the pre-season?  

Ryan Jones: It has to. Even if you score in shinny hockey or in practise you get a little bit more confidence. So it has to. You know what, that goal just reiterates what I have to do to be a successful player.  

I’ve said all along that I’m trying to get back to the way that I was playing a couple of years ago which made me successful and that’s exactly what I did in the exhibition game; just be a pain in the ass. Sorry, can I say that? Be a pain in the butt [laughs], get to the front of the net because there are so many guys throughout this line-up who are so good with the puck and there is no sense in me, once I can get in there. Bang a body, get the puck on their stick, it’s useless for me to crowd those guys.  

So to get in front of the net, to crowd that net area, to allow them to have a little bit of space, to allow them to bring it to the net is the most ideal thing that I can do. Especially when I’m playing with [David] Perron. Once I got in, I made a hit and the puck goes to him there’s no sense in following that guy around. He’s skilled enough to make plays and get it into the net so I just made it a point to put my butt in the goalie’s face and try to make as much havoc as I could. We had a tonne of grade ‘A’ scoring chances out of me doing it.  

Gregor: Do the goalies look smaller with the smaller pads? Have you noticed it at all?  

Jones: It’s funny because when we were skating in Minnesota and Josh Harding wore them, I thought that he looked tiny. When he put his pads together and stood in the net, it just looked like there was so much open net. Other than that one time, I haven’t really noticed.  

You know what? They all look gigantic in there. It seems like every time I come down to shoot there are very little openings but like I said, that’s not my game. Usually they’re on their back or their sides or their knees when I’m chipping pucks in so they pretty much all look the same for me.  

Gregor: Dallas Eakins has come in and made some subtle things; the locker room is different, the pictures are down, he has a big focus on nutrition, he’s a real task master on wanting the guys to be in shape. Did this team need a real culture change and have you noticed it from your head coach?  

Jones: I have noticed it. You want to know what, there are doers and talkers and we’ve unfortunately had a lot of people who were great talkers. And I mean even to you guys, they answered all of the questions the right way but it seemed like it was never different in the room compared to when I came here all of the way through last year.

Yeah we got a little bit better, we got younger, we got more skilled, but even in the locker room with the guys there were a lot of guys who seemed to talk the right game but nothing ever seemed to get done.

I haven’t heard Dallas say very many words outside of what you guys ask him, but he just does everything. He shows us in this locker room what he wants to be done by example. He wants something done, he goes out there, he shows us, we do it. And he demands that out of us. That’s what this locker room needs. He’s going to demand everything out of everybody and Dallas, as far as I can tell, is exactly that guy. From what I’ve heard, and briefly seen, he’s a player’s coach, he’s demanding and his accountability is second to none.
 

Gregor: He talked earlier about how he likes longer practices and he likes to push guys. What did you think about the practice?  

Jones: [Laughs] They are fairly long, but you know what, they’re detailed and you’re not just out there wasting time. You’re never out there just doing a shooting drill to do a shooting drill. Everything that we did out there on the ice today was a team game, some sort of aspect of what we’re going to need to do to win and be a successful team. At the end we got to do a shoot a puck but everything else was a backcheck or a forecheck or faceoffs. There’s no wasted time when you’re out there and that’s good because it keeps you on your toes and it keeps your mind in every single practice, that’s what we need. We can’t have any guys sleeping at any point in time. 

PARTING SHOTS....

Jones' comments on Eakins being a doer, and not just a talker spoke volumes. I think we'd all agree that for the past few seasons we've heard a lot of talk, but we never saw the action match the words.

Eakins has shown he isn't afraid to make changes. Will changing the paint and decor of a room make the Oilers play better on the ice, unlikely, but it illustrates that Eakins won't be sticking with the status quo. Yesterday's practice was uptempo the entire time, and it will be interesting to watch how they practice throughout the year.

I've written on many occasions the past few years how different the Oilers practices were compared to other teams. Chicago and Detroit had quicker paced practices, especially their puck drills.

He wants to change the culture in his dressing room, and he will make his players more accountable on the ice. He's outlined a new workout routine that he expects the players to follow. He's given them an outline for what he expects on practice days, as well as game days.

Some players won't be impacted by the changes, because many of them had pre-skate work out routines as well as post-game routines, but it will be different for some. It is no longer optional.

  • ESPN ranked the top-50 D-men in the NHL and J.Schultz was the only Oiler to crack the list at #40. I was surprised to see Ekman-Larsson and McDonagh ahead of Pietrangelo, albeit only a few spots, but overall I'd agree with most of the rankings. Your thoughts? Schultz is ranked a bit high, if you go off last seasons numbers, but I suspect they added his potential when ranking him. His overall game will be much better this year compared to last season.

RECENTLY BY JASON GREGOR 

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
One of Canada's most versatile sports personalities. Jason hosts The Jason Gregor Show, weekdays from 2 to 6 p.m., on TSN 1260, and he writes a column every Monday in the Edmonton Journal. You can follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/JasonGregor
Avatar
#1 Mikey
September 17 2013, 08:06AM
Trash it!
23
trashes
+1
39
props

Lets go Omark!

Avatar
#2 Czar
September 17 2013, 08:19AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
+1
42
props

Time to start pounding the Jets like the good old days!

Avatar
#3 Mikey
September 17 2013, 08:22AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
33
props

As a side note. If Jones and Joensuu make the team and play they way we hope, the oilers could look very good. Both guys could play a shift or two on a higher line and add something to those lines that are lacking. Could have three solid scoring lines that way.

A successfull team needs players who can, in a pinch, play up and down the line up.

I hope Joensuu gets into 7 fights this year, not fighting just to fight but fighting becuase he is sticking up for someone or is defending himself becuase he has annoyed the other team.

Avatar
#4 Romulus' Apotheosis
September 17 2013, 08:32AM
Trash it!
6
trashes
+1
9
props

Quick note for out of town fans.

The NHL has implemented a regional blackout on these preseason games. You can only watch the Oilers-Jets game on the Oilers site if you live in AB, SK or NWT.

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/statuses/379752612393791488

Edmonton OilersVerified account ‏@EdmontonOilers Following up on a few questions, we are unable to webcast games outside of our region (AB, SK, NWT) as per the @NHL Broadcast Agreement.

The Jets will also stream the game, but it will also be regionally blacked out per the same NHL BS.

https://twitter.com/NHLJets/statuses/379425323768508416

Winnipeg JetsVerified account ‏@NHLJets For those asking about the live feed, the league has implemented a regional restriction on the stream, sorry out-of-town fans!

Avatar
#5 Mikey
September 17 2013, 08:35AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
+1
7
props
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

Quick note for out of town fans.

The NHL has implemented a regional blackout on these preseason games. You can only watch the Oilers-Jets game on the Oilers site if you live in AB, SK or NWT.

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/statuses/379752612393791488

Edmonton OilersVerified account ‏@EdmontonOilers Following up on a few questions, we are unable to webcast games outside of our region (AB, SK, NWT) as per the @NHL Broadcast Agreement.

The Jets will also stream the game, but it will also be regionally blacked out per the same NHL BS.

https://twitter.com/NHLJets/statuses/379425323768508416

Winnipeg JetsVerified account ‏@NHLJets For those asking about the live feed, the league has implemented a regional restriction on the stream, sorry out-of-town fans!

Any good reason why the NHL does this? For pre season? Lame!

Avatar
#6 Romulus' Apotheosis
September 17 2013, 08:43AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
19
props
Mikey wrote:

Any good reason why the NHL does this? For pre season? Lame!

I'm sure they think they have a good reason(s), but I can't think what it would be.

This just works to drive fans away, frustrate their experience, stifle their enthusiasm... and it is just plain "old media" thinking. It's like we are being transported back to the days of suing Napster.

Oh and... all this does is shave advertising potential away from the NHL and drive up the market for piracy.

Avatar
#7 Mike Krushelnyski
September 17 2013, 08:54AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
+1
5
props

Jason, what happens to Omark if he gets cut? Does he go on waivers, straight to OKC, or back to Europe?

Avatar
#8 OilClog
September 17 2013, 08:55AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
23
props

Zero sense to black out a professional hockey game, that one game could generate 10new fans and thousands of dollars in merchandised sold down the line.. But nope.. Blackout. Good marketing that is

Avatar
#9 OilClog
September 17 2013, 08:57AM
Trash it!
33
trashes
+1
1
props

I can post! Woooooooooo. After Wideman nailed Joenssu the other day, I wouldn't expect him to drop the gloves too much, he had his chance and didnt.

Avatar
#10 Truth
September 17 2013, 09:01AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
6
props
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

I'm sure they think they have a good reason(s), but I can't think what it would be.

This just works to drive fans away, frustrate their experience, stifle their enthusiasm... and it is just plain "old media" thinking. It's like we are being transported back to the days of suing Napster.

Oh and... all this does is shave advertising potential away from the NHL and drive up the market for piracy.

The NHL must get a decent cut from NHL Center Ice. Having satellite for many years I used to watch all Canadian teams' games on the various regions of Sportsnet. NHL Center Ice becomes available and all of a sudden there is regional blackouts. Unsurprisingly, you can watch games on Center Ice that are blacked out in your region. Unbelievably frustrating.

Avatar
#11 West
September 17 2013, 09:01AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
12
props
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

I'm sure they think they have a good reason(s), but I can't think what it would be.

This just works to drive fans away, frustrate their experience, stifle their enthusiasm... and it is just plain "old media" thinking. It's like we are being transported back to the days of suing Napster.

Oh and... all this does is shave advertising potential away from the NHL and drive up the market for piracy.

Sitting up in northern Alberta. Tried to watch Flames at Oilers on Oilers TV on Saturday and kept getting a message saying I was outside their area. A little frustrating as I am sure I know my location better than their computer does.

Avatar
#12 Czar
September 17 2013, 09:07AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
11
props
OilClog wrote:

I can post! Woooooooooo. After Wideman nailed Joenssu the other day, I wouldn't expect him to drop the gloves too much, he had his chance and didnt.

Behave yourself young man, next time it will be 2 weeks and no X-box.

Avatar
#13 Truth
September 17 2013, 09:11AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
11
props
OilClog wrote:

I can post! Woooooooooo. After Wideman nailed Joenssu the other day, I wouldn't expect him to drop the gloves too much, he had his chance and didnt.

Strictly going off some of Joenssu's comments and video of him fighting in NY when a teammate got hammered, I think he would drop the mitts if necessary. I would guess the Oilers coaching staff had the no-fight order on last weekend. There were numerous times the Flames fighters challenged Oilers and no response. I would assume Eakins wants the players to make the team on the merit of their ability to play hockey. Fighting to make the squad, like WHL open tryouts years ago, doesn't seem to be Eakin's thing.

Jackman was picking on Nurse all game in Edmonton. Would love to see Nurse tune him in 4-5 years from now if Jackman still has a career, hopefully in Calgary.

Avatar
#14 Romulus' Apotheosis
September 17 2013, 09:12AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
5
props
Truth wrote:

The NHL must get a decent cut from NHL Center Ice. Having satellite for many years I used to watch all Canadian teams' games on the various regions of Sportsnet. NHL Center Ice becomes available and all of a sudden there is regional blackouts. Unsurprisingly, you can watch games on Center Ice that are blacked out in your region. Unbelievably frustrating.

You are probably right. Center Ice/Game Center probably have a lot to do with it...

But I still -- even in those cases -- don't follow the argument for regional blackouts. I mean obviously it is some kind of collusion between the broadcasters, cable providers and the NHL to get you to pay for everything... but it is really outdated thinking in the on-demand world.

And... that still doesn't explain why you would block exhibition games.

Avatar
#15 Zipdot
September 17 2013, 09:22AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
43
props

Krueger: motivational speaker

Eakins: motivational doer

Avatar
#16 Reg Dunlop
September 17 2013, 09:33AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
15
props

Am I reading this right? Did Jones just stick the knife in Krueger's back and twist?

It is time for an Oiler/AHL roster to upset a mostly NHL squad. Like always, we prevail in Winnipeg 3-2. Anyone know what happened to that giant picture of the Queen in the old arena?

Avatar
#17 Zipdot
September 17 2013, 09:42AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
+1
2
props

@Reg Dunlop

Do you have a picture link of the Queen's pic? I like that kind of oldschool Canadian stuff.

Avatar
#18 Racki
September 17 2013, 09:47AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
12
props

Wow that oiler lineup looks terrible. Good test for Labarbera and Bachman I guess though

Avatar
#19 Ivan Drago
September 17 2013, 09:49AM
Trash it!
7
trashes
+1
19
props
OilClog wrote:

I can post! Woooooooooo. After Wideman nailed Joenssu the other day, I wouldn't expect him to drop the gloves too much, he had his chance and didnt.

Welcome back. Imo Brownlee banned you for small, small potatoes.

Avatar
#20 Will
September 17 2013, 09:49AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
1
props

I promised myself I'd wait till one month in to begin putting expectations on this team and the players. But it's soooo hard. Of all the things to come out of this training camp, I'm really hoping one of Joensuu, Jones, or Eager can be the successful big body wing that can play in our top nine with the skill guys.

Who knows if it will last, but Eakins certainly looks like he's trying to balance the team instead of just having one power line. It will be interesting to see how that strategy pays off in the regular season.

In addition to our pre season, it has been fun watching some other teams around the league, and the effects of some of the off season moves.

Iginla could have found his old self on a line with Kreichi and Lucic. If so, that would be one of the most difficult lines to play against in the NHL.

Clarkson looked pretty good on the leafs. I still think they overpaid, but he really does add that element every team is looking for.

Way too early prediction: Senators win the eastern conference in the regular season.

Avatar
#21 Where's Your Towel
September 17 2013, 09:52AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
13
props

@Romulus' Apotheosis

We cut our cable (sattelite) just before last season finally got started.

GameCenter is subject to local blackouts. You cannot watch any game that is being offered by a "local" company that wants your money. This is incredibly frustrating, especially considering that cable and satellite providers intentionally package their product to increase the cost to individuals who only want one thing.

For example, Telus has two packs of "Sports" channels. Knowing that there are a large number of their customers who only watch hockey, they put TSN and Sportsnet in separate packs to ensure hockey fans will have to buy both. Inexcusable money grubbing in my opinion.

I assumed I would just order GameCenter when the season started last year only to find out that living in Calgary, I would not be able to watch any Oilers games broadcast on CBC, SN, or TSN.

I realize that the whole reason for this is that the NHL has contracts with the cable providers and they have to live up to these obligations. That being said, these ridiculous restrictions have given me all the incentive I need to pursue.. ahem.. other options for streaming games. They have *not* made me reconsider cable/sattelite. If anything, they have strengthened my resolve.

Avatar
#22 Chilly Canadian
September 17 2013, 09:53AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
17
props

I like Ryan Jones. He seems like a genuine guy, and hearing the interview yesterday was no exception. Hopefully the recovery from the eye injury last year is complete and he'll be back to the 15-20 goal guy he was the year before! I always liked how he could move from the fourth line grinder position all the way up to the first line on injury basis and still contribute.

Avatar
#23 Bushed
September 17 2013, 09:54AM
Trash it!
11
trashes
+1
4
props

Kronwall, Subban, and Phaneuf are all way over-rated in the ESPN list (especially Kronwall).

Lots of guys lower on the list I'd rather have on my team than any of those three (Subban mostly because of his mouth and attitude, admittedly. If he could grow up and shut up, I'd like him a lot better.)

Not saying these guys wouldn't make the list, but I'd put them all a lot lower than ESPN.

Avatar
#24 Tikkanese
September 17 2013, 09:54AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
1
props
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

You are probably right. Center Ice/Game Center probably have a lot to do with it...

But I still -- even in those cases -- don't follow the argument for regional blackouts. I mean obviously it is some kind of collusion between the broadcasters, cable providers and the NHL to get you to pay for everything... but it is really outdated thinking in the on-demand world.

And... that still doesn't explain why you would block exhibition games.

If it fixes the feed problems(no sound, buffering, not even loading period for some people, etc) then I'm ok with that. But if it is Rob Kerr doing the play by play, I'm more than fine with no sound!

Avatar
#25 Cary
September 17 2013, 09:55AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
1
props

I live in Langley BC and I tried to stream the Edmonton/Calgary game the other day and I got “outside the viewing area” from the Edmonton Oilers website. However, I could stream the game from the Calgary website. I do have NHL Game Center and they do not show any preseason games.

Avatar
#26 justDOit
September 17 2013, 09:57AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
1
props

@Where's Your Towel

Check out a browser plugin called Stealthy. It isn't perfect, but it worked all last year.

Avatar
#27 geoilersgist
September 17 2013, 09:57AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
15
props

ESPN also didn't even have Dubnyk ranked for the goalies. ESPN's rankings are totally bogus.

Has the season started yet????

Avatar
#28 justDOit
September 17 2013, 09:58AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
4
props

Anybody see this:http://imgur.com/DD2rhV7

That's the Panthers preseason opener, an afternoon affair. Gilbert will do well there.

Avatar
#29 DSF
September 17 2013, 10:06AM
Trash it!
13
trashes
+1
20
props
Where's Your Towel wrote:

We cut our cable (sattelite) just before last season finally got started.

GameCenter is subject to local blackouts. You cannot watch any game that is being offered by a "local" company that wants your money. This is incredibly frustrating, especially considering that cable and satellite providers intentionally package their product to increase the cost to individuals who only want one thing.

For example, Telus has two packs of "Sports" channels. Knowing that there are a large number of their customers who only watch hockey, they put TSN and Sportsnet in separate packs to ensure hockey fans will have to buy both. Inexcusable money grubbing in my opinion.

I assumed I would just order GameCenter when the season started last year only to find out that living in Calgary, I would not be able to watch any Oilers games broadcast on CBC, SN, or TSN.

I realize that the whole reason for this is that the NHL has contracts with the cable providers and they have to live up to these obligations. That being said, these ridiculous restrictions have given me all the incentive I need to pursue.. ahem.. other options for streaming games. They have *not* made me reconsider cable/sattelite. If anything, they have strengthened my resolve.

Easy to work around.

Get a streaming box like Apple TV.

Then, use a VPN service like Un Block Us to generate a new IP address for you.

http://www.unblock-us.com

Enter that new address in your Apple TV, set up Game Center on your Apple TV and, voila, you appear to be watching from the U.S.

No blackouts.

(This also allows you to watch U.S. Netflix and Hulu Plus)

Avatar
#30 geoilersgist
September 17 2013, 10:09AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
7
props

@DSF

This is actually a very useful service, however people looking for *free* hockey still have to pay for gamecentre and $5/month for unblock-us.

Seriously though the $5/month is worth it without gamecentre. American netflix is great...

Avatar
#31 Bill
September 17 2013, 10:11AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
5
props

I liked hearing Jones' comments about Eakins. The mention of a lot of talk & no action confirms how it looked from the outside. The 2 previous coaches here were downright eloquent in front of the media, especially Krueger. Too bad coaching isn't limited to sounding impressive in front of the media, because Krueger would have a Jack Adams on his mantle if that were the case.

I think Krueger's hire was a huge mistake that delayed the team's progress. He was Renney's guy, and from the outside at least, his tenure looked like Renney 2.0.

Kelly Buchberger somehow survived Krueger's dismissal, but I have to think that he'll be gone if Eakins doesn't find him useful. Same goes with Smith.

I'm totally on board with Eakins so far, it remains to be seen how the team responds in terms of preparedness for games and in terms of deploying his systems.

Avatar
#32 DSF
September 17 2013, 10:13AM
Trash it!
11
trashes
+1
3
props
geoilersgist wrote:

This is actually a very useful service, however people looking for *free* hockey still have to pay for gamecentre and $5/month for unblock-us.

Seriously though the $5/month is worth it without gamecentre. American netflix is great...

Hulu Plus is even better.

Avatar
#33 Terranq
September 17 2013, 10:16AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
2
props
geoilersgist wrote:

This is actually a very useful service, however people looking for *free* hockey still have to pay for gamecentre and $5/month for unblock-us.

Seriously though the $5/month is worth it without gamecentre. American netflix is great...

Use adfreetime. Same service as unblock-us, only $1.99/mth

Avatar
#34 Walter Sobchak
September 17 2013, 10:18AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
2
props

Hmmm. I have an I-Pad, does anyone know the best package to buy to stream games? What carrier to use?

Totally off topic sorry.

Avatar
#35 oilerjed
September 17 2013, 10:26AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
0
props
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

I'm sure they think they have a good reason(s), but I can't think what it would be.

This just works to drive fans away, frustrate their experience, stifle their enthusiasm... and it is just plain "old media" thinking. It's like we are being transported back to the days of suing Napster.

Oh and... all this does is shave advertising potential away from the NHL and drive up the market for piracy.

Does anyone know if the games are available on nhl gamecenter? Turns out I forgot to unsubscribe again and am locked in for the year. Might as well use it. The Calgary games were listed but didnt work.

Avatar
#36 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
September 17 2013, 10:35AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
5
props

I can't stand the regional blackout rules. I cancelled my cable back in 2011 when they implemented them because hockey was the only reason why I had it in the first place. Now I can (legally) only watch about 1/4 - 1/3 of the Oilers games without paying through the nose for CentreIce, which requires me to pay for basic cable.

I'm more than content to stream from illegal sources.

Avatar
#37 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
September 17 2013, 10:37AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
1
props
Terranq wrote:

Use adfreetime. Same service as unblock-us, only $1.99/mth

The Firefox plugin 'MediaHint' does the same thing for free.

Avatar
#38 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
September 17 2013, 10:41AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
0
props
Reg Dunlop wrote:

Am I reading this right? Did Jones just stick the knife in Krueger's back and twist?

It is time for an Oiler/AHL roster to upset a mostly NHL squad. Like always, we prevail in Winnipeg 3-2. Anyone know what happened to that giant picture of the Queen in the old arena?

It was auctioned off and is now owned by an individual:

http://illegalcurve.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Queen.jpg

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/NhN0T1s_6M.gCJae.PE6MQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NQ--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnhlexperts/300_Giant_Queen.jpg

Avatar
#39 Romulus' Apotheosis
September 17 2013, 10:47AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
1
props
Tikkanese wrote:

If it fixes the feed problems(no sound, buffering, not even loading period for some people, etc) then I'm ok with that. But if it is Rob Kerr doing the play by play, I'm more than fine with no sound!

Those were unrelated problems.

It seems it was NHL wide as a lot of teams were having trouble with the video streams. Should be fixed for tonight. The Oilers have a test site you can use to see if it is working for you (it will also verify if you are in the region):

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=92161

Avatar
#40 DSF
September 17 2013, 10:50AM
Trash it!
8
trashes
+1
7
props
Walter Sobchak wrote:

Hmmm. I have an I-Pad, does anyone know the best package to buy to stream games? What carrier to use?

Totally off topic sorry.

Game Centre is great on iPad and you can stream it to your big screen TV using Air Play if you have an Apple TV.

Avatar
#41 braidonh
September 17 2013, 11:15AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
1
props

Also if you just use hidemya$$.com (obviously use correct spelling) and choose a proxy located in the states, hulu plus and american netflix work for you. 100% free. you just need understanding of how to copy and paste IP addresses, DNS host addresses ect.

Avatar
#42 Where's Your Towel
September 17 2013, 11:16AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
6
props

I know all about VPN services, and I do appreciate the recommendations of good providers. I think what irks me the most is the idea that they do not allow me to just pay directly for what I want.

If I want to pay the NHL to watch my favourite team's games on the internet, it seems like bad business for them to say no.

Ideally, I should be able to purchase a bulk of game tokens which I expend to watch the games I want regardless of region.

Avatar
#43 OilClog
September 17 2013, 11:17AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
4
props
Ivan Drago wrote:

Welcome back. Imo Brownlee banned you for small, small potatoes.

I have to leave him alone (as per orders), but potatoes are delicious.

I can see Eakins putting a no fight order in place, but IMO Joenssu still could of responded to the hit. Send a quick message out.. "I'll bash your face, then power move to the net and score"

Avatar
#44 Simpsonite
September 17 2013, 11:19AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
7
props

So wait. Let me get this straight. I just had to move to Calgary...well cochrane...need to get my Oiler games this year. If I'm hearing you all correctly if I get NHL Centre Ice or whatever through Shaw and the Oiler game is being shown on SNW I can't watch it on Centre Ice? Especially if it is not shown on the feed in Calgary?

I swear I will go bonkers if I'm subjected to only Flames games. I. Will. Go. Loco.

Avatar
#46 David S
September 17 2013, 11:33AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
4
props

I just go over to Lowetide's site. Guaranteed someone in the comments section ALWAYS posts the streaming feeds in the game day thread. ATDHE (you have to Google it) is the local favorite, but there's others too.

What's really bugging me is I'm seeing out-of-market games on glorious HD while we have to ghetto Oilers pre-season broadcats? What's up with that?

Avatar
#47 Wonger
September 17 2013, 11:38AM
Trash it!
21
trashes
+1
1
props

@OilClog

Of course he didn't drop the gloves MORON!!! McGrattan was in their line-up and he would have been Joensuu's next fight! Watch the Calgary-Ottawa highlights. Jones runs around so SDAO (Ottawa) nails him. Stajan jumps Sdao. Sdao kicks the s%^t out of Stajan. Next time Sdao is on the ice, Hartley sends McGrattan after him. Sdao gets cut and dropped. Thats why nobody screws around with the Flames! Oilers don't have that luxury. We don't believe in enforcers like most of the other teams in the NHL do. Could you have imagined what McGrattan would have done to Sarich if he were an Oiler, and the coach let him do his job after Sarich steamrolled Hall two years ago! By the way, Matt Kassian was not in the Ottawa line-up last night, but he will be when these two teams meet again, and he will line up with McGrattan, and you can guess the rest! THE LEAGUE KNOWS NOT TO SCREW AROND WITH THE FLAMES EVEN IF THY START TROUBLE!!!!!

Avatar
#48 Maverick007
September 17 2013, 11:40AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
4
props

Any hockey game, any sporting event, you can watch for free here. http://www.stopstream.tv/

Avatar
#49 Lloyd B.
September 17 2013, 11:51AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
4
props

Here's a good one. I live in the Edmonton area but work across the country. So when I'm in Manitoba and an Oilers game is on I can't access it because of the blackout. Drives me crazy.

Avatar
#50 OilClog
September 17 2013, 11:52AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
8
props
Wonger wrote:

Of course he didn't drop the gloves MORON!!! McGrattan was in their line-up and he would have been Joensuu's next fight! Watch the Calgary-Ottawa highlights. Jones runs around so SDAO (Ottawa) nails him. Stajan jumps Sdao. Sdao kicks the s%^t out of Stajan. Next time Sdao is on the ice, Hartley sends McGrattan after him. Sdao gets cut and dropped. Thats why nobody screws around with the Flames! Oilers don't have that luxury. We don't believe in enforcers like most of the other teams in the NHL do. Could you have imagined what McGrattan would have done to Sarich if he were an Oiler, and the coach let him do his job after Sarich steamrolled Hall two years ago! By the way, Matt Kassian was not in the Ottawa line-up last night, but he will be when these two teams meet again, and he will line up with McGrattan, and you can guess the rest! THE LEAGUE KNOWS NOT TO SCREW AROND WITH THE FLAMES EVEN IF THY START TROUBLE!!!!!

Whoa dude

Comments are closed for this article.