GDB -6: JETTING TO WINNIPEG

Jason Gregor
September 17 2013 08:00AM

The Oilers will have their pregame skate in Edmonton this morning, and then fly to Winnipeg this afternoon to take on the Jets. That would never happen in the regular season, but that's life in the preseason.

For many of the veterans it is another opportunity to sharpen their skills, while those on the bubble hope to impress Dallas Eakins, and for some it is likely their final preseason game.

After Saturday's split-squad games vs. the Flames the Oilers have had a few days to try and learn Eakins new systems. It will take a few games before every player is completely comfortable with the new system, so expect a few defensive breakdowns.

 When you look down tonight's roster it seems easy to pick who falls into the category of veteran sharpening his skill, bubble boys and guys destined for reassignment.

LINEUP

Jones-Gagner-Omark
Joensuu-Lander-Pitlick
R. Hamilton-Arcobello-Yakupov
Moroz-Martindale-Abney

Smid-Petry
Grebeshkov-Klefbom
Larsen-Davidson

LaBarbera
Bachman

Gagner, Jones, Yakupov, Smid, Petry, Grebeshkov and LaBarbera are safe bets to be on the team.

Lander, Joensuu, Omark, Hamilton, Arcobello and Larsen are in battle for a roster spot up front or on the backend.

Martindale, Abney, Bachman, Pitlick and Davidson will be heading to OKC eventually.

It looks like Klefbom will start the season in OKC, which will allow him to get comfortable to the North American game, and I won't be surprised if his recalled at some point this season.

Moroz will be heading back to junior, likely on Wednesday, and get set for the Oil Kings season opener this coming Friday.

Joensuu, Hamilton and Arcobello had strong first games, but playing well early in preseason isn't as important as playing well late when the rosters are filled with more NHL caliber players. They will need to build on their strong start to stay ahead of the pack.

Omark, Lander and Larsen were okay in their debuts, but a strong performance tonight could put them right back on track. Tonight is Pitlick's first opportunity to impress the coaches, and he feels he is ready to take a serious run at a roster spot. Davidson has impressed early in camp, but he'll need some more seasoning in the AHL before he's ready for a regular

Tonight's game will be streamed live on the Oilers website at 6 p.m. MST.

JETS LINEUP...

Tonight's lineup will come from this group of forwards and D-men. It sounds like the top three lines and top four D-men will dress, and then the 4th line and final D pairing will be decided at the morning skate. When I get confirmation I will edit the lineup to the usual 18 skaters.

***Edit*** Here is the Jets lineup.***

Kane-Jokinen-Setoguchi
Wright-Scheifele-Frolik
Telegin-Slater-Peluso
Tangradi-O'Dell-Klingberg


Byfuglien-Clitsome
Stuart-Postma
Trouba-Melchiori

Pavelec
Montoya

DALLAS THE DOER

Yesterday on my radio show, Ryan Jones talked about gaining confidence, trying to get back to his style of play and the impact Eakins has had on the organization. 

Jason Gregor: It’s pre-season and I’m not sure if there are any studies that say that if you score in the pre-season, it carries over but it’s always good to score for a guy like you. Does it build confidence when you get a goal early in the pre-season?  

Ryan Jones: It has to. Even if you score in shinny hockey or in practise you get a little bit more confidence. So it has to. You know what, that goal just reiterates what I have to do to be a successful player.  

I’ve said all along that I’m trying to get back to the way that I was playing a couple of years ago which made me successful and that’s exactly what I did in the exhibition game; just be a pain in the ass. Sorry, can I say that? Be a pain in the butt [laughs], get to the front of the net because there are so many guys throughout this line-up who are so good with the puck and there is no sense in me, once I can get in there. Bang a body, get the puck on their stick, it’s useless for me to crowd those guys.  

So to get in front of the net, to crowd that net area, to allow them to have a little bit of space, to allow them to bring it to the net is the most ideal thing that I can do. Especially when I’m playing with [David] Perron. Once I got in, I made a hit and the puck goes to him there’s no sense in following that guy around. He’s skilled enough to make plays and get it into the net so I just made it a point to put my butt in the goalie’s face and try to make as much havoc as I could. We had a tonne of grade ‘A’ scoring chances out of me doing it.  

Gregor: Do the goalies look smaller with the smaller pads? Have you noticed it at all?  

Jones: It’s funny because when we were skating in Minnesota and Josh Harding wore them, I thought that he looked tiny. When he put his pads together and stood in the net, it just looked like there was so much open net. Other than that one time, I haven’t really noticed.  

You know what? They all look gigantic in there. It seems like every time I come down to shoot there are very little openings but like I said, that’s not my game. Usually they’re on their back or their sides or their knees when I’m chipping pucks in so they pretty much all look the same for me.  

Gregor: Dallas Eakins has come in and made some subtle things; the locker room is different, the pictures are down, he has a big focus on nutrition, he’s a real task master on wanting the guys to be in shape. Did this team need a real culture change and have you noticed it from your head coach?  

Jones: I have noticed it. You want to know what, there are doers and talkers and we’ve unfortunately had a lot of people who were great talkers. And I mean even to you guys, they answered all of the questions the right way but it seemed like it was never different in the room compared to when I came here all of the way through last year.

Yeah we got a little bit better, we got younger, we got more skilled, but even in the locker room with the guys there were a lot of guys who seemed to talk the right game but nothing ever seemed to get done.

I haven’t heard Dallas say very many words outside of what you guys ask him, but he just does everything. He shows us in this locker room what he wants to be done by example. He wants something done, he goes out there, he shows us, we do it. And he demands that out of us. That’s what this locker room needs. He’s going to demand everything out of everybody and Dallas, as far as I can tell, is exactly that guy. From what I’ve heard, and briefly seen, he’s a player’s coach, he’s demanding and his accountability is second to none.
 

Gregor: He talked earlier about how he likes longer practices and he likes to push guys. What did you think about the practice?  

Jones: [Laughs] They are fairly long, but you know what, they’re detailed and you’re not just out there wasting time. You’re never out there just doing a shooting drill to do a shooting drill. Everything that we did out there on the ice today was a team game, some sort of aspect of what we’re going to need to do to win and be a successful team. At the end we got to do a shoot a puck but everything else was a backcheck or a forecheck or faceoffs. There’s no wasted time when you’re out there and that’s good because it keeps you on your toes and it keeps your mind in every single practice, that’s what we need. We can’t have any guys sleeping at any point in time. 

PARTING SHOTS....

Jones' comments on Eakins being a doer, and not just a talker spoke volumes. I think we'd all agree that for the past few seasons we've heard a lot of talk, but we never saw the action match the words.

Eakins has shown he isn't afraid to make changes. Will changing the paint and decor of a room make the Oilers play better on the ice, unlikely, but it illustrates that Eakins won't be sticking with the status quo. Yesterday's practice was uptempo the entire time, and it will be interesting to watch how they practice throughout the year.

I've written on many occasions the past few years how different the Oilers practices were compared to other teams. Chicago and Detroit had quicker paced practices, especially their puck drills.

He wants to change the culture in his dressing room, and he will make his players more accountable on the ice. He's outlined a new workout routine that he expects the players to follow. He's given them an outline for what he expects on practice days, as well as game days.

Some players won't be impacted by the changes, because many of them had pre-skate work out routines as well as post-game routines, but it will be different for some. It is no longer optional.

  • ESPN ranked the top-50 D-men in the NHL and J.Schultz was the only Oiler to crack the list at #40. I was surprised to see Ekman-Larsson and McDonagh ahead of Pietrangelo, albeit only a few spots, but overall I'd agree with most of the rankings. Your thoughts? Schultz is ranked a bit high, if you go off last seasons numbers, but I suspect they added his potential when ranking him. His overall game will be much better this year compared to last season.

RECENTLY BY JASON GREGOR 

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
One of Canada's most versatile sports personalities. Jason hosts The Jason Gregor Show, weekdays from 2 to 6 p.m., on TSN 1260, and he writes a column every Monday in the Edmonton Journal. You can follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/JasonGregor
Avatar
#151 Ivan Drago
September 17 2013, 09:28PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
15
props
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

.....says the guy who can barely afford to pay attention. Might want to run that possible expense by your trophy (guess they can't all be first place, eh Ivan?) wife first. May want to start saving the allowance she gives you.

Lmao what does that even mean?

Avatar
#152 Ivan Drago
September 17 2013, 09:31PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
17
props
Ivan Drago wrote:

Lmao what does that even mean?

And for the record, I stopped paying attention to you long ago.

Avatar
#153 REALLY!!!
September 17 2013, 09:31PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
0
props
Rod from Viking wrote:

Brown challenged Jackman early in the second period and he declined, besides Widemans hit and Halls hit on McGratton it wasn't a very physical game.

SERIOUSLY!!!

Avatar
#154 DigDeepNBleedBlue
September 17 2013, 09:32PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
10
props

K, I tried this twice and failed. (explicit)

Anyhoo...

RANT:

Peg's feed was way better. Less chop, plus they had the score, time and SOG. Someone should feel shame.

All those hating on Pitlick should eat a big bag of (explicit). Kid's got game. At par or better than R. Hamilton.

Larson is growing on me. At this point he looks better than Greb.

YAK-U-POV! Skillz, baby.

...and sh*t I can't remem what else I was going to say. Damn you alcohol!!!

Avatar
#155 Rod from Viking
September 17 2013, 09:39PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
2
props

@REALLY!!!

Yes, he asked him right in front of us in our tier one seats, Halls hit was more of a rub out but I had to throw that in.

Avatar
#156 Rocket
September 17 2013, 09:43PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
2
props

Seemed like a pretty standard pre-season game: Lots of mistakes, players unsure what to do/where to be, and half-assed play (I'm looking at you Mr. Gagner).

Yak looked good. Omark looked like Omark which is either good or bad depending on your opinion of him.

And what's with the crappy ice? The way the puck was bouncing around I thought I was watching a Playoff game in Boston!

Avatar
#157 madjam
September 17 2013, 09:59PM
Trash it!
18
trashes
+1
3
props

Oilers showed better than expected considering our lineup . Veterans showed rust and mistakes . Landers , Grebs and Omark did little to impress making opening roster . Gagner seemed to be slow a foot and not efficient on faceoffs . He is capable of much better . Bachman played well . Most disturbing is another loss , while arch rival Flames rip off back to back wins against the Isles . Eakins has got to be concerned with mounting losses even if it is early . Once again we got pushed around a lot physically . We seem to have nothing physically to hurt other clubs like they can hurt us .

Avatar
#158 WIMPY
September 17 2013, 10:09PM
Trash it!
18
trashes
+1
6
props
madjam wrote:

Oilers showed better than expected considering our lineup . Veterans showed rust and mistakes . Landers , Grebs and Omark did little to impress making opening roster . Gagner seemed to be slow a foot and not efficient on faceoffs . He is capable of much better . Bachman played well . Most disturbing is another loss , while arch rival Flames rip off back to back wins against the Isles . Eakins has got to be concerned with mounting losses even if it is early . Once again we got pushed around a lot physically . We seem to have nothing physically to hurt other clubs like they can hurt us .

get used to it!! OIL not interested in guys who can FIGHT! Flames and others look for it! Until most of your team can go you will be pushed around. Of course, having a MCGRATTAN in your lineup makes everybod 4 inches taller and 30lbs heavier. OIL management doesn't get this so it's going to be another LONG YEAR!!! MOST IF THE OILERS ARE FAIRIES and DAFODILS and I am a sucker that pays to watch them pushed around nightly!!!

Avatar
#159 Quicksilver ballet
September 17 2013, 10:13PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
+1
8
props

Not an unexpected outcome considering there was maybe only 5 players in the lineup who will be on the opening nights roster.

Hunker down, it'll be well into the New Year before we see the fruits of Eakins labour starting to take shape on this team. The sooner the players buy in, the earlier this team will start seeing results. Could take 2 yrs for Dallas Eakins to weed out the non participants on this upcoming current roster.

Eakins looks to be what this team needs right now. It's unfortunate it's back to square one yet again as far as making this his hockey club.

Avatar
#160 WONGER
September 17 2013, 10:28PM
Trash it!
17
trashes
+1
3
props
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

Not an unexpected outcome considering there was maybe only 5 players in the lineup who will be on the opening nights roster.

Hunker down, it'll be well into the New Year before we see the fruits of Eakins labour starting to take shape on this team. The sooner the players buy in, the earlier this team will start seeing results. Could take 2 yrs for Dallas Eakins to weed out the non participants on this upcoming current roster.

Eakins looks to be what this team needs right now. It's unfortunate it's back to square one yet again as far as making this his hockey club.

I agree that EAKINS and MACT are top notch but this team is facing an IMPOSSIBLE task overcoming its lack of toughness!!! Look at the D. SOFT except for FERENCE and maybe SMID. Need about 6 more guys who can compete and FIGHT - YES FIGHT!!!

Avatar
#161 Rocket
September 17 2013, 10:34PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
1
props

@Quicksilver ballet

yeah I wonder how long we'll start to really see results of Eakins' coaching style (systems,work-out regime, etc.)? And if the team improves, will the primary reason be Eakins or player improvement/maturity?

I like what you said about players buying in and I totally agree. I just hope we don't have to wait until the new year to see actual results.

BTW do you like Hall at centre? I don't but am happy to be proven wrong.

Avatar
#162 madjam
September 17 2013, 10:54PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
+1
4
props

I prefer Hall at center over Gagner . He has the attitude and drive to be successful there . Looked good on faceoff circle as well , just needs to be a little sharper defensively . We certainly have the type of wingers to compliment him . Just got to add some NHL size and grit still .

Avatar
#163 Quicksilver ballet
September 17 2013, 10:56PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
+1
8
props

@Rocket

I'm with you on the Hall thing. I'd much rather see Eberle move to the middle.

Jordans openly admitted he'd be willing to move to the middle, while Taylor is somewhat indifferent to a move like this. Without the games premier left winger, the Oilers have one more vacancy to deal with. Take from the right side where they have a little more depth, Yakupov,Hemsky, Gags,Omark, etc etc etc.

Avatar
#164 michael
September 18 2013, 06:05AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
5
props

I'll put the over/under on the amount of fights that the Oilers engage in this year at 15. Its not going be a rock'em sockem kinda year . At all.

Avatar
#165 Spydyr
September 18 2013, 07:05AM
Trash it!
11
trashes
+1
3
props
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

Not an unexpected outcome considering there was maybe only 5 players in the lineup who will be on the opening nights roster.

Hunker down, it'll be well into the New Year before we see the fruits of Eakins labour starting to take shape on this team. The sooner the players buy in, the earlier this team will start seeing results. Could take 2 yrs for Dallas Eakins to weed out the non participants on this upcoming current roster.

Eakins looks to be what this team needs right now. It's unfortunate it's back to square one yet again as far as making this his hockey club.

Eakins will make it all better. Just like the three coaches in three years before him. It is different this time.

Enjoy your kool-aid.

Unless the players buy in Eakinis will be gone in short order also.

Avatar
#166 Manfly
September 18 2013, 07:30AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
5
props

unless the players buy in, the players will be gone! if this is what it takes to make a soft team into winners then i hope they give Dallas the green light to do whatever it takes to win.

Avatar
#167 Manfly
September 18 2013, 07:37AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
2
props
madjam wrote:

Oilers showed better than expected considering our lineup . Veterans showed rust and mistakes . Landers , Grebs and Omark did little to impress making opening roster . Gagner seemed to be slow a foot and not efficient on faceoffs . He is capable of much better . Bachman played well . Most disturbing is another loss , while arch rival Flames rip off back to back wins against the Isles . Eakins has got to be concerned with mounting losses even if it is early . Once again we got pushed around a lot physically . We seem to have nothing physically to hurt other clubs like they can hurt us .

i doubt Eakins is all that concerned about pre season losses so relax. the pre season is after all a time when you have a good look at all you free agents, AHLers and juniors and recent draft picks to evaluate who will be in the starting lineup. the losses will be a tell tale sign of who can bring it and who can't and who isn't ready to bring it yet. if the losses start to pile up during the regular season, then i hope Dallas has been given permission to make any moves that he sees fit to make in order to win.

Avatar
#168 Spydyr
September 18 2013, 07:41AM
Trash it!
6
trashes
+1
1
props
Manfly wrote:

unless the players buy in, the players will be gone! if this is what it takes to make a soft team into winners then i hope they give Dallas the green light to do whatever it takes to win.

Oh really, so if Hall does not buy in or Nuge or Yak they will be gone before the coach. Are you new to the NHL?

Avatar
#169 madjam
September 18 2013, 07:45AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
+1
2
props

Bring back Kreuger ?

Avatar
#170 Marcus
September 18 2013, 07:45AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@Walter Sobchak

Or iPad AV adapter to your TV's HDMI.

Avatar
#171 Ivan Drago
September 18 2013, 08:16AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
4
props
Spydyr wrote:

Eakins will make it all better. Just like the three coaches in three years before him. It is different this time.

Enjoy your kool-aid.

Unless the players buy in Eakinis will be gone in short order also.

How do you figure Eakins will be gone? Why should he be gone? For one, it's pre-season, the team isn't even made up yet and in your view the players aren't buying in. That makes zero sense. Two, after 5 yrs and 6 coaches, maybe you have to realize it's not necessarily the coaches fault. Maybe the roster players should be looked at. Which falls on the GM, who has been in that position for a matter of months, and many players are gone with new ones in. Did MacT address every problem right away, no, but he damn sure tried. With the cap going down this year, it really handcuffed him.

Bottom line, saying Eakins will be gone in short order after 2 pre season games is plain stupid. Get your head out of the sand, Dallas is no daisy, like Renney and Krueger. The players will buy in or be gone before he is.

Avatar
#172 Spydyr
September 18 2013, 08:21AM
Trash it!
6
trashes
+1
0
props
Ivan Drago wrote:

How do you figure Eakins will be gone? Why should he be gone? For one, it's pre-season, the team isn't even made up yet and in your view the players aren't buying in. That makes zero sense. Two, after 5 yrs and 6 coaches, maybe you have to realize it's not necessarily the coaches fault. Maybe the roster players should be looked at. Which falls on the GM, who has been in that position for a matter of months, and many players are gone with new ones in. Did MacT address every problem right away, no, but he damn sure tried. With the cap going down this year, it really handcuffed him.

Bottom line, saying Eakins will be gone in short order after 2 pre season games is plain stupid. Get your head out of the sand, Dallas is no daisy, like Renney and Krueger. The players will buy in or be gone before he is.

I never said the players aren't buying in. Of course it is way too early to tell. What I said was "Unless the players buy in Eakinis will be gone in short order also. "

Short order to me would be next summer .Like the last three coaches. They were going to make everything better too .Remember?

So you think they would trade Hall or Nuge or Yak before getting rid of Eakins."Get your head out of the sand."

Avatar
#173 Spurzey
September 18 2013, 08:45AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
2
props
Spydyr wrote:

I never said the players aren't buying in. Of course it is way too early to tell. What I said was "Unless the players buy in Eakinis will be gone in short order also. "

Short order to me would be next summer .Like the last three coaches. They were going to make everything better too .Remember?

So you think they would trade Hall or Nuge or Yak before getting rid of Eakins."Get your head out of the sand."

I would like to think that MacT and Eakins were hired to bring some continuity and stability to the team. No more of the "insane running the asylum" If one of the top 5 or 6 didn't buy in, they would be gone in a heartbeat to fill some of the holes.

Avatar
#174 Spydyr
September 18 2013, 08:49AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
+1
1
props
Spurzey wrote:

I would like to think that MacT and Eakins were hired to bring some continuity and stability to the team. No more of the "insane running the asylum" If one of the top 5 or 6 didn't buy in, they would be gone in a heartbeat to fill some of the holes.

I would like to think that too. Here is to hoping that this year will be better than the last seven. It is the time of year to sell hope. The team said the same thing the last three coaches. This is the guy to turn things around. I love the Oilers but I'm tired of getting smoke blown up my butt every fall. Obviously some people are not tired of it yet.

Avatar
#175 Mikey
September 18 2013, 08:49AM
Trash it!
7
trashes
+1
3
props
Spydyr wrote:

I never said the players aren't buying in. Of course it is way too early to tell. What I said was "Unless the players buy in Eakinis will be gone in short order also. "

Short order to me would be next summer .Like the last three coaches. They were going to make everything better too .Remember?

So you think they would trade Hall or Nuge or Yak before getting rid of Eakins."Get your head out of the sand."

I don't mean to be rude or insulting but you're retarded if you think Eakins will be gone next summer.

Avatar
#176 Ivan Drago
September 18 2013, 08:52AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props
Spydyr wrote:

I never said the players aren't buying in. Of course it is way too early to tell. What I said was "Unless the players buy in Eakinis will be gone in short order also. "

Short order to me would be next summer .Like the last three coaches. They were going to make everything better too .Remember?

So you think they would trade Hall or Nuge or Yak before getting rid of Eakins."Get your head out of the sand."

Hall, Nuge, or Yak will buy in. They're franchise players, not only extremely skilled but great attitudes and work ethics as well. Players like Seguin, who don't get with the program, do get traded. No player is more important than the team.

Btw, my head can't be in the sand, I'm too busy pounding back my kool-aid.

Avatar
#177 Spurzey
September 18 2013, 08:56AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
2
props
Spydyr wrote:

I would like to think that too. Here is to hoping that this year will be better than the last seven. It is the time of year to sell hope. The team said the same thing the last three coaches. This is the guy to turn things around. I love the Oilers but I'm tired of getting smoke blown up my butt every fall. Obviously some people are not tired of it yet.

The roster changes alone give me more value for the hope they are selling. There will be more changes until the team becomes successful.

Avatar
#178 Spydyr
September 18 2013, 09:01AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
+1
1
props
Mikey wrote:

I don't mean to be rude or insulting but you're retarded if you think Eakins will be gone next summer.

What do you base that on? The record of the last three coaches?

Once again for the people that can't comprehend I said "UNLESS". I hope Eakins is the best coach in the history of the game and wins five Cups here. The team's recent record with coaches suggest otherwise. Every team sells hope this time of year.After the last seven years I will hold off on calling Eakins the second coming of Scotty Bowman.Until he does something like say win his first NHL game!

Avatar
#179 Quicksilver ballet
September 18 2013, 09:09AM
Trash it!
6
trashes
+1
1
props

Spydyr makes a good point. What if one/some/all of the fab 5 don't buy into Dallas' gameplan, you do have your head in the sand if you don't think it will be Eakins who falls on that sword. Where do all these puckers who don't know this, keep coming from.....darn kids.

Avatar
#180 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
September 18 2013, 09:09AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Has Eager played yet? If so, how did he look?

Avatar
#181 Mikey
September 18 2013, 09:11AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
3
props
Spydyr wrote:

What do you base that on? The record of the last three coaches?

Once again for the people that can't comprehend I said "UNLESS". I hope Eakins is the best coach in the history of the game and wins five Cups here. The team's recent record with coaches suggest otherwise. Every team sells hope this time of year.After the last seven years I will hold off on calling Eakins the second coming of Scotty Bowman.Until he does something like say win his first NHL game!

Excatly, I base that on the fact the last two coaches only lasted two and one year.

I understand you said unless, the fact remains you still think there is a posibilty. I would say there is a 0.0% chance Eakins is fired inside of three years.

Avatar
#182 Spydyr
September 18 2013, 09:16AM
Trash it!
5
trashes
+1
0
props
Mikey wrote:

Excatly, I base that on the fact the last two coaches only lasted two and one year.

I understand you said unless, the fact remains you still think there is a posibilty. I would say there is a 0.0% chance Eakins is fired inside of three years.

So your saying a coach who has never coached at this level has no chance of getting fired in three years?

A quick google search:

NHL coaches have an average tenure of 2.3 seasons behind the bench.

You have consumed all spin the team has sent your way.

Avatar
#183 Ivan Drago
September 18 2013, 09:26AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
3
props
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

Spydyr makes a good point. What if one/some/all of the fab 5 don't buy into Dallas' gameplan, you do have your head in the sand if you don't think it will be Eakins who falls on that sword. Where do all these puckers who don't know this, keep coming from.....darn kids.

One player, no, he will be gone before Eakins. Some already think one of the kids needs to be traded, if one had a bad attitude, sure it would make that decision easier. Again, why do you think Seguin got traded? It sure as hell wasn't because he's a bad hockey player.

More than one or even two, yeah Eakins may then be in trouble, but what evidence is there that all the kids suddenly aren't buying into Eakins. None right now, at all. That's the point here. Quit with the doom and gloom after 2 pre season games for crying out aloud. There have been pre seasons where the oilers almost won them all, then finished dead last in regular season. It means nothing. Guarantee Eakins is here for at least 3 seasons, worst case scenario.

Avatar
#184 Oiler Al
September 18 2013, 09:30AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
0
props

As much as I always felt that Lowe had his hand on the throttle a lot tighter than was lead to believe, I really think that the tandem of MacT, and especially Eakin, have suggest to Lowe to stay in his office upstairs and enjoy polishing his rings." let us try it our way, because yours over the past years has not worked"

Avatar
#185 Spurzey
September 18 2013, 09:32AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
3
props
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

Spydyr makes a good point. What if one/some/all of the fab 5 don't buy into Dallas' gameplan, you do have your head in the sand if you don't think it will be Eakins who falls on that sword. Where do all these puckers who don't know this, keep coming from.....darn kids.

That would have happened under Stumbellini's regime. MacT will make a difference.

Avatar
#186 Mikey
September 18 2013, 09:42AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
2
props
Spydyr wrote:

So your saying a coach who has never coached at this level has no chance of getting fired in three years?

A quick google search:

NHL coaches have an average tenure of 2.3 seasons behind the bench.

You have consumed all spin the team has sent your way.

What spin? So just because I have a different view point than you I must be under some sort of influence or am blindy following someone else.

Also where did you get 2.3?

"By including all 30 teams in the NHL... During the 60 years covered in our study....This suggests that the average tenure for coaches was 3.54 seasons...." http://iveybusinessjournal.com/topics/leadership/leadership-succession-what-can-we-learn-from-the-national-hockey-league#.UjnIpWXHSDc

"The average tenure of an NHL coach is 2.86 years in 2011." http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/the-nhl-coaching-landscape-then-and-now?urn=nhl,wp11270

Avatar
#187 Spydyr
September 18 2013, 09:48AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
+1
0
props
Mikey wrote:

What spin? So just because I have a different view point than you I must be under some sort of influence or am blindy following someone else.

Also where did you get 2.3?

"By including all 30 teams in the NHL... During the 60 years covered in our study....This suggests that the average tenure for coaches was 3.54 seasons...." http://iveybusinessjournal.com/topics/leadership/leadership-succession-what-can-we-learn-from-the-national-hockey-league#.UjnIpWXHSDc

"The average tenure of an NHL coach is 2.86 years in 2011." http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/the-nhl-coaching-landscape-then-and-now?urn=nhl,wp11270

NHL Teams Fire Coaches | saupulse.comsaupulse.com www.saupulse.com/2011/12/08/nhl-teams-fire-coaches/‎ Dec 8, 2011 - These changes are not surprising, seeing as NHL coaches have an average tenure of 2.3 seasons behind the bench; this is the lowest average ...

Avatar
#188 Quicksilver ballet
September 18 2013, 09:49AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
+1
2
props
Ivan Drago wrote:

And for the record, I stopped paying attention to you long ago.

...and then you go and write this jibberish.

One player, no, he will be gone before Eakins. Some already think one of the kids needs to be traded, if one had a bad attitude, sure it would make that decision easier. Again, why do you think Seguin got traded? It sure as hell wasn't because he's a bad hockey player.

More than one or even two, yeah Eakins may then be in trouble, but what evidence is there that all the kids suddenly aren't buying into Eakins. None right now, at all. That's the point here. Quit with the doom and gloom after 2 pre season games for crying out aloud. There have been pre seasons where the oilers almost won them all, then finished dead last in regular season. It means nothing. Guarantee Eakins is here for at least 3 seasons, worst case scenario.

Thought we had an agreement Drago (you stopped paying attention long ago). Are you a liar, or does the truth keep changing, in your world? Take off eh, you hoser. Stick to your word, for once.

Avatar
#189 Spydyr
September 18 2013, 10:04AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
0
props
Spydyr wrote:

NHL Teams Fire Coaches | saupulse.comsaupulse.com www.saupulse.com/2011/12/08/nhl-teams-fire-coaches/‎ Dec 8, 2011 - These changes are not surprising, seeing as NHL coaches have an average tenure of 2.3 seasons behind the bench; this is the lowest average ...

Sorry this is in this format

Avatar
#190 Spydyr
September 18 2013, 10:07AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
+1
0
props
Mikey wrote:

What spin? So just because I have a different view point than you I must be under some sort of influence or am blindy following someone else.

Also where did you get 2.3?

"By including all 30 teams in the NHL... During the 60 years covered in our study....This suggests that the average tenure for coaches was 3.54 seasons...." http://iveybusinessjournal.com/topics/leadership/leadership-succession-what-can-we-learn-from-the-national-hockey-league#.UjnIpWXHSDc

"The average tenure of an NHL coach is 2.86 years in 2011." http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/the-nhl-coaching-landscape-then-and-now?urn=nhl,wp11270

Coming from a person who called another person "retarded" for having a different opinion.

Unless you personally know Eakins "you are under some sort of influence or am blindly following someone else." Maybe not blindly that is your choice of words. The influence is:

Anything you have seen and heard about Eakins has influenced you. That is called spin.

Avatar
#191 Manfly
September 18 2013, 11:48AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props
Spydyr wrote:

Oh really, so if Hall does not buy in or Nuge or Yak they will be gone before the coach. Are you new to the NHL?

Oh really, i'm willing to bet that the very top end players, understanding that they are the players this team is depending on, will be more than mature about doing things the way their new coach tells them to do, don't you? oh wait, i guess you are new to the NHL and don't understand this, right?

Avatar
#192 Spydyr
September 18 2013, 12:12PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
0
props
Manfly wrote:

Oh really, i'm willing to bet that the very top end players, understanding that they are the players this team is depending on, will be more than mature about doing things the way their new coach tells them to do, don't you? oh wait, i guess you are new to the NHL and don't understand this, right?

Yes, it would be the first time players have quit on a coach.Ever.

Avatar
#193 madjam
September 18 2013, 12:24PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
1
props
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

Spydyr makes a good point. What if one/some/all of the fab 5 don't buy into Dallas' gameplan, you do have your head in the sand if you don't think it will be Eakins who falls on that sword. Where do all these puckers who don't know this, keep coming from.....darn kids.

They are all buying into the system , but they did for Kreuger and others as well . The problem lies in players inabilities to execute good enough for victories . Our defence still vulnerable as well as physical toughness as a group . Our depth is still wanting , and if that does not correct itself little will the overall results become more positive . We are making only miniscule progress so far as I see it - not enough to make us a contender unless something unforeseen happens before season starts - such as an acquisition or two outside current team . .

Avatar
#194 Manfly
September 18 2013, 12:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props
Spydyr wrote:

Yes, it would be the first time players have quit on a coach.Ever.

i'm willing to bet our top end players will buy into Eakin's system, and let's not pre judge the whole upcoming season because of a less than stellar pre season....you can move on now.

Avatar
#195 Spydyr
September 18 2013, 01:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Manfly wrote:

i'm willing to bet our top end players will buy into Eakin's system, and let's not pre judge the whole upcoming season because of a less than stellar pre season....you can move on now.

Thanks for telling me what I can and cannot do.

Avatar
#196 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
September 18 2013, 07:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
K_Mart wrote:

It seems pretty obvious to me that Belov was a superior defenseman to Grebeshkov in the past KHL season that saw a number of NHL players join the league.

Why do I keep hearing that Grebeshkov is more likely for nhl employment?

Is it simply because he came on a 1-way and Belov came on a 2-way?

Nonsense.

I was thinking Grebeshkov was signed for two reasons...one...to serve as a 7-8 Dman in case of injuries and ..two...to help Belov transition to life in North America.....

Comments are closed for this article.