GDB -6: JETTING TO WINNIPEG

Jason Gregor
September 17 2013 08:00AM

The Oilers will have their pregame skate in Edmonton this morning, and then fly to Winnipeg this afternoon to take on the Jets. That would never happen in the regular season, but that's life in the preseason.

For many of the veterans it is another opportunity to sharpen their skills, while those on the bubble hope to impress Dallas Eakins, and for some it is likely their final preseason game.

After Saturday's split-squad games vs. the Flames the Oilers have had a few days to try and learn Eakins new systems. It will take a few games before every player is completely comfortable with the new system, so expect a few defensive breakdowns.

When you look down tonight's roster it seems easy to pick who falls into the category of veteran sharpening his skill, bubble boys and guys destined for reassignment.

LINEUP

Jones-Gagner-Omark
Joensuu-Lander-Pitlick
R. Hamilton-Arcobello-Yakupov
Moroz-Martindale-Abney

Smid-Petry
Grebeshkov-Klefbom
Larsen-Davidson

LaBarbera
Bachman

Gagner, Jones, Yakupov, Smid, Petry, Grebeshkov and LaBarbera are safe bets to be on the team.

Lander, Joensuu, Omark, Hamilton, Arcobello and Larsen are in battle for a roster spot up front or on the backend.

Martindale, Abney, Bachman, Pitlick and Davidson will be heading to OKC eventually.

It looks like Klefbom will start the season in OKC, which will allow him to get comfortable to the North American game, and I won't be surprised if his recalled at some point this season.

Moroz will be heading back to junior, likely on Wednesday, and get set for the Oil Kings season opener this coming Friday.

Joensuu, Hamilton and Arcobello had strong first games, but playing well early in preseason isn't as important as playing well late when the rosters are filled with more NHL caliber players. They will need to build on their strong start to stay ahead of the pack.

Omark, Lander and Larsen were okay in their debuts, but a strong performance tonight could put them right back on track. Tonight is Pitlick's first opportunity to impress the coaches, and he feels he is ready to take a serious run at a roster spot. Davidson has impressed early in camp, but he'll need some more seasoning in the AHL before he's ready for a regular

Tonight's game will be streamed live on the Oilers website at 6 p.m. MST.

JETS LINEUP...

Tonight's lineup will come from this group of forwards and D-men. It sounds like the top three lines and top four D-men will dress, and then the 4th line and final D pairing will be decided at the morning skate. When I get confirmation I will edit the lineup to the usual 18 skaters.

***Edit*** Here is the Jets lineup.***

Kane-Jokinen-Setoguchi
Wright-Scheifele-Frolik
Telegin-Slater-Peluso
Tangradi-O'Dell-Klingberg

Byfuglien-Clitsome
Stuart-Postma
Trouba-Melchiori

Pavelec
Montoya

DALLAS THE DOER

Yesterday on my radio show, Ryan Jones talked about gaining confidence, trying to get back to his style of play and the impact Eakins has had on the organization.

Jason Gregor: It’s pre-season and I’m not sure if there are any studies that say that if you score in the pre-season, it carries over but it’s always good to score for a guy like you. Does it build confidence when you get a goal early in the pre-season?

Ryan Jones: It has to. Even if you score in shinny hockey or in practise you get a little bit more confidence. So it has to. You know what, that goal just reiterates what I have to do to be a successful player.

I’ve said all along that I’m trying to get back to the way that I was playing a couple of years ago which made me successful and that’s exactly what I did in the exhibition game; just be a pain in the ass. Sorry, can I say that? Be a pain in the butt [laughs], get to the front of the net because there are so many guys throughout this line-up who are so good with the puck and there is no sense in me, once I can get in there. Bang a body, get the puck on their stick, it’s useless for me to crowd those guys.

So to get in front of the net, to crowd that net area, to allow them to have a little bit of space, to allow them to bring it to the net is the most ideal thing that I can do. Especially when I’m playing with [David] Perron. Once I got in, I made a hit and the puck goes to him there’s no sense in following that guy around. He’s skilled enough to make plays and get it into the net so I just made it a point to put my butt in the goalie’s face and try to make as much havoc as I could. We had a tonne of grade ‘A’ scoring chances out of me doing it.

Gregor: Do the goalies look smaller with the smaller pads? Have you noticed it at all?

Jones: It’s funny because when we were skating in Minnesota and Josh Harding wore them, I thought that he looked tiny. When he put his pads together and stood in the net, it just looked like there was so much open net. Other than that one time, I haven’t really noticed.

You know what? They all look gigantic in there. It seems like every time I come down to shoot there are very little openings but like I said, that’s not my game. Usually they’re on their back or their sides or their knees when I’m chipping pucks in so they pretty much all look the same for me.

Gregor: Dallas Eakins has come in and made some subtle things; the locker room is different, the pictures are down, he has a big focus on nutrition, he’s a real task master on wanting the guys to be in shape. Did this team need a real culture change and have you noticed it from your head coach?

Jones: I have noticed it. You want to know what, there are doers and talkers and we’ve unfortunately had a lot of people who were great talkers. And I mean even to you guys, they answered all of the questions the right way but it seemed like it was never different in the room compared to when I came here all of the way through last year.

Yeah we got a little bit better, we got younger, we got more skilled, but even in the locker room with the guys there were a lot of guys who seemed to talk the right game but nothing ever seemed to get done.

I haven’t heard Dallas say very many words outside of what you guys ask him, but he just does everything. He shows us in this locker room what he wants to be done by example. He wants something done, he goes out there, he shows us, we do it. And he demands that out of us. That’s what this locker room needs. He’s going to demand everything out of everybody and Dallas, as far as I can tell, is exactly that guy. From what I’ve heard, and briefly seen, he’s a player’s coach, he’s demanding and his accountability is second to none.

Gregor: He talked earlier about how he likes longer practices and he likes to push guys. What did you think about the practice?

Jones: [Laughs] They are fairly long, but you know what, they’re detailed and you’re not just out there wasting time. You’re never out there just doing a shooting drill to do a shooting drill. Everything that we did out there on the ice today was a team game, some sort of aspect of what we’re going to need to do to win and be a successful team. At the end we got to do a shoot a puck but everything else was a backcheck or a forecheck or faceoffs. There’s no wasted time when you’re out there and that’s good because it keeps you on your toes and it keeps your mind in every single practice, that’s what we need. We can’t have any guys sleeping at any point in time.

PARTING SHOTS....

Jones' comments on Eakins being a doer, and not just a talker spoke volumes. I think we'd all agree that for the past few seasons we've heard a lot of talk, but we never saw the action match the words.

Eakins has shown he isn't afraid to make changes. Will changing the paint and decor of a room make the Oilers play better on the ice, unlikely, but it illustrates that Eakins won't be sticking with the status quo. Yesterday's practice was uptempo the entire time, and it will be interesting to watch how they practice throughout the year.

I've written on many occasions the past few years how different the Oilers practices were compared to other teams. Chicago and Detroit had quicker paced practices, especially their puck drills.

He wants to change the culture in his dressing room, and he will make his players more accountable on the ice. He's outlined a new workout routine that he expects the players to follow. He's given them an outline for what he expects on practice days, as well as game days.

Some players won't be impacted by the changes, because many of them had pre-skate work out routines as well as post-game routines, but it will be different for some. It is no longer optional.

• ESPN ranked the top-50 D-men in the NHL and J.Schultz was the only Oiler to crack the list at #40. I was surprised to see Ekman-Larsson and McDonagh ahead of Pietrangelo, albeit only a few spots, but overall I'd agree with most of the rankings. Your thoughts? Schultz is ranked a bit high, if you go off last seasons numbers, but I suspect they added his potential when ranking him. His overall game will be much better this year compared to last season.

RECENTLY BY JASON GREGOR

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#1 CaptainLander
September 17 2013, 12:33PM
Wonger wrote:

NOT QUITE GENIOUS.....Calgary beats Edmonton in the standings and none of their stars get injured every year!!!!!!!

They have stars?

#2 Zipdot
September 17 2013, 09:22AM

Krueger: motivational speaker

Eakins: motivational doer

#3 Czar
September 17 2013, 08:19AM

Time to start pounding the Jets like the good old days!

#4 Mikey
September 17 2013, 08:06AM

Lets go Omark!

#5 Mikey
September 17 2013, 08:22AM

As a side note. If Jones and Joensuu make the team and play they way we hope, the oilers could look very good. Both guys could play a shift or two on a higher line and add something to those lines that are lacking. Could have three solid scoring lines that way.

A successfull team needs players who can, in a pinch, play up and down the line up.

I hope Joensuu gets into 7 fights this year, not fighting just to fight but fighting becuase he is sticking up for someone or is defending himself becuase he has annoyed the other team.

#6 book¡e
September 17 2013, 12:47PM
Wonger wrote:

What's a GENIOUS?

#7 David S
September 17 2013, 12:05PM
Wonger wrote:

Of course he didn't drop the gloves MORON!!! McGrattan was in their line-up and he would have been Joensuu's next fight! Watch the Calgary-Ottawa highlights. Jones runs around so SDAO (Ottawa) nails him. Stajan jumps Sdao. Sdao kicks the s%^t out of Stajan. Next time Sdao is on the ice, Hartley sends McGrattan after him. Sdao gets cut and dropped. Thats why nobody screws around with the Flames! Oilers don't have that luxury. We don't believe in enforcers like most of the other teams in the NHL do. Could you have imagined what McGrattan would have done to Sarich if he were an Oiler, and the coach let him do his job after Sarich steamrolled Hall two years ago! By the way, Matt Kassian was not in the Ottawa line-up last night, but he will be when these two teams meet again, and he will line up with McGrattan, and you can guess the rest! THE LEAGUE KNOWS NOT TO SCREW AROND WITH THE FLAMES EVEN IF THY START TROUBLE!!!!!

I'll take a shot.

McGrattan will play about 2:30, basically doing no more than cruising around like a great white shark. Eventually he'll get his staged fight from some sucker looking to make an NHL roster where he'll be given a double minor and a game misconduct.

While short-handed the fLames will get scored on three times, effectively ending any chance to win the game ten minutes into the first period.

Sound about right?

#8 OilClog
September 17 2013, 08:55AM

Zero sense to black out a professional hockey game, that one game could generate 10new fans and thousands of dollars in merchandised sold down the line.. But nope.. Blackout. Good marketing that is

#9 K_Mart
September 17 2013, 12:18PM

It seems pretty obvious to me that Belov was a superior defenseman to Grebeshkov in the past KHL season that saw a number of NHL players join the league.

Why do I keep hearing that Grebeshkov is more likely for nhl employment?

Is it simply because he came on a 1-way and Belov came on a 2-way?

Nonsense.

#10 DSF
September 17 2013, 07:46PM
konst16 wrote:

Despite the warnings that, being in vancouver, I would be "blacked out" of todays peg game.. I tried, and its working right now.

Well, if you consider this laggy ass feed "working".

Too funny if they are blocking people in their defined "market", but are still letting in bums like me living in hong'couver.

Racist comments are unnecessary.

If you don't like the city....move.

#11 DSF
September 17 2013, 10:06AM
Where's Your Towel wrote:

We cut our cable (sattelite) just before last season finally got started.

GameCenter is subject to local blackouts. You cannot watch any game that is being offered by a "local" company that wants your money. This is incredibly frustrating, especially considering that cable and satellite providers intentionally package their product to increase the cost to individuals who only want one thing.

For example, Telus has two packs of "Sports" channels. Knowing that there are a large number of their customers who only watch hockey, they put TSN and Sportsnet in separate packs to ensure hockey fans will have to buy both. Inexcusable money grubbing in my opinion.

I assumed I would just order GameCenter when the season started last year only to find out that living in Calgary, I would not be able to watch any Oilers games broadcast on CBC, SN, or TSN.

I realize that the whole reason for this is that the NHL has contracts with the cable providers and they have to live up to these obligations. That being said, these ridiculous restrictions have given me all the incentive I need to pursue.. ahem.. other options for streaming games. They have *not* made me reconsider cable/sattelite. If anything, they have strengthened my resolve.

Easy to work around.

Get a streaming box like Apple TV.

Then, use a VPN service like Un Block Us to generate a new IP address for you.

Enter that new address in your Apple TV, set up Game Center on your Apple TV and, voila, you appear to be watching from the U.S.

No blackouts.

(This also allows you to watch U.S. Netflix and Hulu Plus)

#12 Romulus' Apotheosis
September 17 2013, 08:43AM
Mikey wrote:

Any good reason why the NHL does this? For pre season? Lame!

I'm sure they think they have a good reason(s), but I can't think what it would be.

This just works to drive fans away, frustrate their experience, stifle their enthusiasm... and it is just plain "old media" thinking. It's like we are being transported back to the days of suing Napster.

Oh and... all this does is shave advertising potential away from the NHL and drive up the market for piracy.

#13 Ivan Drago
September 17 2013, 09:49AM
OilClog wrote:

I can post! Woooooooooo. After Wideman nailed Joenssu the other day, I wouldn't expect him to drop the gloves too much, he had his chance and didnt.

Welcome back. Imo Brownlee banned you for small, small potatoes.

#14 pkam
September 17 2013, 12:43PM
Wonger wrote:

Last season we finished 24th, did Calgary finish higher? Or are you talking CFL?

We had Steve McIntyre for 3 years and how many fights did he have? And we must be injury free in those years, right?

#15 Chilly Canadian
September 17 2013, 09:53AM

I like Ryan Jones. He seems like a genuine guy, and hearing the interview yesterday was no exception. Hopefully the recovery from the eye injury last year is complete and he'll be back to the 15-20 goal guy he was the year before! I always liked how he could move from the fourth line grinder position all the way up to the first line on injury basis and still contribute.

#16 Ivan Drago
September 17 2013, 09:31PM
Ivan Drago wrote:

Lmao what does that even mean?

And for the record, I stopped paying attention to you long ago.

#17 Reg Dunlop
September 17 2013, 09:33AM

Am I reading this right? Did Jones just stick the knife in Krueger's back and twist?

It is time for an Oiler/AHL roster to upset a mostly NHL squad. Like always, we prevail in Winnipeg 3-2. Anyone know what happened to that giant picture of the Queen in the old arena?

#18 geoilersgist
September 17 2013, 09:57AM

ESPN also didn't even have Dubnyk ranked for the goalies. ESPN's rankings are totally bogus.

Has the season started yet????

#19 Ivan Drago
September 17 2013, 09:28PM
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

.....says the guy who can barely afford to pay attention. Might want to run that possible expense by your trophy (guess they can't all be first place, eh Ivan?) wife first. May want to start saving the allowance she gives you.

Lmao what does that even mean?

#20 pkam
September 17 2013, 12:50PM
CaptainLander wrote:

They have stars?

They had, but no longer anymore.

#21 RexLibris
September 17 2013, 01:32PM
CaptainLander wrote:

They have stars?

Its a relative term.

But they do expect to be seeing stars many nights this season.

#22 Where's Your Towel
September 17 2013, 09:52AM

@Romulus' Apotheosis

We cut our cable (sattelite) just before last season finally got started.

#23 Ivan Drago
September 17 2013, 02:56PM
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

An apple a day will keep anyone away.....if you throw it hard enough.

I'll hire Roger Clemens to whip one at your head if it keeps you away for good.

#24 West
September 17 2013, 09:01AM
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

Sitting up in northern Alberta. Tried to watch Flames at Oilers on Oilers TV on Saturday and kept getting a message saying I was outside their area. A little frustrating as I am sure I know my location better than their computer does.

#25 Racki
September 17 2013, 09:47AM

Wow that oiler lineup looks terrible. Good test for Labarbera and Bachman I guess though

#26 David S
September 17 2013, 03:14PM
Wonger wrote:

Man I love this time of year. When Junior High kids start chirping on hockey blogs you know hockey is just around the corner!

#27 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
September 17 2013, 09:03PM

@jetsfan

I wasn't making excuses for the loss, if you actually read my original comment, you'd see I was replying to a poster who has the Oilers pegged for a lotto pick this year. My point was, the Oilers are playing terrible, yes, but don't decide the season is lost over one pre-season game that doesn't even feature all of the Oilers top end talent.

Now get back in your holes, you filthy Jets fans.

#28 Czar
September 17 2013, 09:07AM
OilClog wrote:

Behave yourself young man, next time it will be 2 weeks and no X-box.

#29 Truth
September 17 2013, 09:11AM
OilClog wrote:

Strictly going off some of Joenssu's comments and video of him fighting in NY when a teammate got hammered, I think he would drop the mitts if necessary. I would guess the Oilers coaching staff had the no-fight order on last weekend. There were numerous times the Flames fighters challenged Oilers and no response. I would assume Eakins wants the players to make the team on the merit of their ability to play hockey. Fighting to make the squad, like WHL open tryouts years ago, doesn't seem to be Eakin's thing.

Jackman was picking on Nurse all game in Edmonton. Would love to see Nurse tune him in 4-5 years from now if Jackman still has a career, hopefully in Calgary.

#30 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
September 17 2013, 08:31PM

@jetsfan

3/10. Your troll-fu needs work, grasshopper. There is a powerful shaman by the name of DSF, he can show you the way.

#31 Quicksilver ballet
September 17 2013, 04:29PM

I was the premier Water Polo player in all of Canada, until my horse drowned.

#32 DigDeepNBleedBlue
September 17 2013, 09:32PM

K, I tried this twice and failed. (explicit)

Anyhoo...

RANT:

Peg's feed was way better. Less chop, plus they had the score, time and SOG. Someone should feel shame.

All those hating on Pitlick should eat a big bag of (explicit). Kid's got game. At par or better than R. Hamilton.

Larson is growing on me. At this point he looks better than Greb.

YAK-U-POV! Skillz, baby.

...and sh*t I can't remem what else I was going to say. Damn you alcohol!!!

#33 Romulus' Apotheosis
September 17 2013, 08:32AM

Quick note for out of town fans.

The NHL has implemented a regional blackout on these preseason games. You can only watch the Oilers-Jets game on the Oilers site if you live in AB, SK or NWT.

Edmonton OilersVerified account ‏@EdmontonOilers Following up on a few questions, we are unable to webcast games outside of our region (AB, SK, NWT) as per the @NHL Broadcast Agreement.

The Jets will also stream the game, but it will also be regionally blacked out per the same NHL BS.

Winnipeg JetsVerified account ‏@NHLJets For those asking about the live feed, the league has implemented a regional restriction on the stream, sorry out-of-town fans!

#34 Quicksilver ballet
September 17 2013, 02:13PM

An apple a day will keep anyone away.....if you throw it hard enough.

#35 pkam
September 17 2013, 02:35PM
Wonger wrote:

If the coach lets MacIntyre grab the offender and beat the tar out of him, regardless of the penalties, he will probably only have to do this once and THE MESSAGE WILL BE SENT!!!!! Don't MESS WITH THE OIL SKILL!!!!!

Didn't McIntyre KO Ivanans of Calgary Flames in 2010-11? Was THE MESSAGE strong enough?

Wonder why Hall had to fight Dorsett and ended his season earlier the same year? I guess Hall must think nobody dared to touch him after McIntyre sent the message with that KO.

#36 OilClog
September 17 2013, 11:52AM
Wonger wrote:

Whoa dude

#38 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
September 17 2013, 08:41PM

The Oil are missing four of their top six forwards and their starting goalie. You must be trolling, no?

#39 Quicksilver ballet
September 17 2013, 10:13PM

Not an unexpected outcome considering there was maybe only 5 players in the lineup who will be on the opening nights roster.

Hunker down, it'll be well into the New Year before we see the fruits of Eakins labour starting to take shape on this team. The sooner the players buy in, the earlier this team will start seeing results. Could take 2 yrs for Dallas Eakins to weed out the non participants on this upcoming current roster.

Eakins looks to be what this team needs right now. It's unfortunate it's back to square one yet again as far as making this his hockey club.

#40 Quicksilver ballet
September 17 2013, 10:56PM

@Rocket

I'm with you on the Hall thing. I'd much rather see Eberle move to the middle.

Jordans openly admitted he'd be willing to move to the middle, while Taylor is somewhat indifferent to a move like this. Without the games premier left winger, the Oilers have one more vacancy to deal with. Take from the right side where they have a little more depth, Yakupov,Hemsky, Gags,Omark, etc etc etc.

#41 Mikey
September 17 2013, 08:35AM
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

Quick note for out of town fans.

Any good reason why the NHL does this? For pre season? Lame!

#42 geoilersgist
September 17 2013, 10:09AM

@DSF

This is actually a very useful service, however people looking for *free* hockey still have to pay for gamecentre and $5/month for unblock-us.

Seriously though the $5/month is worth it without gamecentre. American netflix is great...

#43 DSF
September 17 2013, 10:50AM
Walter Sobchak wrote:

Hmmm. I have an I-Pad, does anyone know the best package to buy to stream games? What carrier to use?

Totally off topic sorry.

Game Centre is great on iPad and you can stream it to your big screen TV using Air Play if you have an Apple TV.

#44 Simpsonite
September 17 2013, 11:19AM

So wait. Let me get this straight. I just had to move to Calgary...well cochrane...need to get my Oiler games this year. If I'm hearing you all correctly if I get NHL Centre Ice or whatever through Shaw and the Oiler game is being shown on SNW I can't watch it on Centre Ice? Especially if it is not shown on the feed in Calgary?

I swear I will go bonkers if I'm subjected to only Flames games. I. Will. Go. Loco.

#45 pkam
September 17 2013, 12:48PM
datFOZ wrote:

WTF does Subban's perceived (yes, perceived, you have NO idea what he's like personally) attitude have to do with you, or with his ability to be the best defender in the NHL last year?

I will agree that Kronwall and Phaneuf are overrated, but Subban is a legitimate Weber-calibre defender, and anyone who still thinks otherwise is simply incorrect.

I don't think Subban is better than Drew Doughty though, and probably not better than Letang. He may later but at least not now.

#46 ColourMeImpressed
September 17 2013, 12:51PM

@datFOZ

Subban is like a young Phaneuf. Lots of flash, lots of bad positioning.

#48 Shifty203
September 17 2013, 02:55PM

@ Gregor

Really!? Grebeshkov a safe bet to make the team!? Nurse looked better out there then he did.

There's no way his little offensive upside covers for his brutal defensive play. He looked lost and about half as fast as he used to. He got caught flat footed several times.

I have no problem giving him a shot, but I haven't seen anything yet from him that would make him jump over any of our other defensive prospects, and to call a safe bet to make the team.

#49 DSF
September 17 2013, 06:24PM
Walter Sobchak wrote:

Thanks DSF

No problem.

#50 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
September 17 2013, 08:21PM

@oilersOne

You did read the rosters, right? The Oil are essentially icing an AHL team tonight.