JOENSUU AND JUURSIES

Brian Sutherby
September 18 2013 11:56AM

The preseason is well underway. Some guys are getting a good look with the big club and the NHL is looking to control the look of some players by enforcing an existing rule from the 60s.

JOENSUU WATCH

One of the guys getting lots of hype so far in camp has been Jesse Joensuu. I must admit I too have a slight man crush on the big man.

It’s still a very small sample size but so far Jesse Joensuu has been one of the most, if not the most noticeable forward vying to crack the squad.

I didn’t think he was nearly as good versus the Jets. He got knocked around a little bit which may be something to watch for in the future. Maybe it was just one of those nights, but he was on his back a lot.

When he had the puck however he still looked very strong, and created a couple quality scoring opportunities. He is a huge frame that looks like he is more than able to keep up with the play and to date has given opposing teams fits down low. Size is obviously something this forward group desperately needs. It will be interesting to watch him as preseason goes on when more veterans draw into lineups.

The only thing bad about this guy right now is his number. Big men need big numbers. Look at Joey T here wearing the #6 early in his career. Gross.

SPEAKING OF JERSEYS

A couple days ago the NHL announced they will be cracking down on how players wear their jerseys and equipment. I couldn’t for the life of me understand why the NHL didn’t want players to have a little bit of individuality and style. Thankfully Elliotte Friedman cleared some of that up here.

I don’t disagree that the cut up pant leg is one of the worst looking things on a player and like the fact they will crack down for a cleaner look. I just hope that’s where it stops and this isn’t the beginning of the end. Please don’t go the way of the NFL where every player has to look exactly the same.

Players being able to express themselves with a little jersey tuck, white skates, black blades or tinted visors can make up a players identity even more than a number.

Can we all agree Doug Weight had the best style ever? Let’s not even start with what Gretzky would look like without the jersey tuck and dark blades. Both of them could have gone number less and you would know who they were on the ice.

I think (hope) going forward you will still see guys have a little bit of flare and style with their equipment as long as you are not showing skin or have hulking equipment sticking out all over the place. If not, then it’s just stupid.

SPEAKING OF PRESEASON

Are you playing the free preseason version of StreakCred? I am and it's going poorly. Come sign up and dust me. You can win a trophy and $200 bucks that you can buy me lunch with. Nice.

MORE FROM SUDS

First blood: An introduction to the newest Voice of the Nation

C76a4c69c9026575581a01d4ac34111c
A Moose Jaw Warriors alumnus and veteran of 460 NHL games with the Capitals, Ducks and Stars—Sutherby is here to regale us with tales of the WJHC, life as an NHL player and much more from a Pro’s perspective. Co-Host's the Jason Gregor show on TSN1260 on Tuesday's from 3-5 and Coaches at www.proconnectionhockey.com Twitter:@briansutherby
#1 Quicksilver ballet
September 18 2013, 12:57PM

So many kids who have zero chance of making this club, just getting in the way.

With this being the Oiler norm, they will have to use the first month of the season to help build a 25 man group that may gel, come November.

Terrible waste of two weeks if you ask me.

#2 K-UGER Industrial Smoothing
September 18 2013, 12:25PM
Spydyr wrote:

Back in the day players could also beat the goalie with a slapper from the wing. In the days before goalies resembled the Michelin man. Where have you gone Guy Laufler?

Nobody loves Smytty?

#3 Wanye
September 18 2013, 12:55PM

HI BRIAN FIRST TIME CALLER LONG TIME LISTENER DONT YOU AGREE JORDAN EBERLE SHOULD BE FORCED TO PLAY SHIRTLESS?

#4 sam94
September 18 2013, 02:31PM

+1 for the Suu-nami..

Also, anyone like the sound of Anton the Beloved?

#5 book¡e
September 18 2013, 01:03PM
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

So many kids who have zero chance of making this club, just getting in the way.

Terrible waste of two weeks if you ask me.

I'm pretty sure nobody asked you because you have been prattling on about it for quite a while. Do you have anything relevant to say about the topic of the article?

#6 John daly
September 18 2013, 12:36PM

Hey Brian,

I enjoyed the article. Do you think your old teammate Woywitka will land a contract this season?

Cheers,

#7 Spydyr
September 18 2013, 12:44PM
K-UGER Industrial Smoothing wrote:

Nobody loves Smytty?

Well, first off Smytty's slapper could not beat his mom. Secondly Smyth wore a helmet his entire career.

#8 westcoastoil
September 18 2013, 12:44PM

Weight was the schiznitz. One of the most underrated guys of his era simply because he was playing in Edm. that was always missing just that one more guy. When he was dancing on the ice it was something special to watch.

#10 916oiler
September 18 2013, 01:05PM
Wanye wrote:

September 18th, 2013.

Wayne officially comes out of the closet! Congrats!

(...btw, try and avoid any trips to Russia for a while...)

#11 Spydyr
September 18 2013, 01:38PM
Dano wrote:

Joen-sy?

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of adding a "Y" on the end and calling it a nickname.Give me some Killer or Moose or even Sid.

Almost forgot....The Rat.

#12 1983 and This Year
September 18 2013, 01:39PM

Schultz over to Schultz... to Jones, across to Jones-suu... SCORES!!

#13 Jason Gregor
September 18 2013, 04:09PM
Jordan Nugent-Hallkins wrote:

Is it pronounced Joe-en-suu or Jone-suu? Or am I way out to lunch?

It is Yo-en-Sue...soft J that sounds like a Y is what he told me. Not a hard J like Joe.

#14 RexLibris
September 18 2013, 04:48PM
Wanye wrote:

He does.

He just has the Oilers jersey tattooed into his skin.

#15 nunyour
September 18 2013, 04:54PM

i'm Johny Cash,and i'm the s.o.b. that named you Sue.

#16 wiseguy
September 19 2013, 12:18AM
book¡e wrote:

I think our friend may be a bit challenged. Be nice and just ignore him. His time on the ON gives his case worker some time to do other things.

#17 blue31
September 18 2013, 12:01PM

Aaah . . . pining for the good ole' days when you could ID a player flying down the ice by his flowing hair.

Of course, that was in the Seventies . . .

#18 #ThereGoesTheOilers
September 18 2013, 12:08PM

I've liked most everything Joensuu has shown me so far. Well, except that penalty he took last night. Easiest interference call ever.

#19 Ivan Drago
September 18 2013, 12:12PM

I'm happy to hear that Joensuu is playing again tonight. I'm rooting for him to have a bounce backgame, are the Sedins playing tonight? Levelling one of them would be a good start.

#20 Spydyr
September 18 2013, 12:22PM
blue31 wrote:

Of course, that was in the Seventies . . .

#21 #ThereGoesTheOilers
September 18 2013, 12:26PM

@Ivan Drago

From the looks of it the Sedins are in and Luongo is expected to start. Excellent.

#22 Mike Modano's Dog
September 18 2013, 12:27PM

I really liked Pitlick's game last night...and I, for one hope he sticks. What do you think about him, Sudsy?

#23 Ivan Drago
September 18 2013, 12:35PM
#ThereGoesTheOilers wrote:

Good news. Thx for the info.

#25 RexLibris
September 18 2013, 12:40PM

Great take on the Joensuu and Wardrobe malfunction topics.

I was half-expecting to see a photo of the striptease at the end of Slapshot to illustrate what may constitute "going too far" in personalizing a player's gear.

One thing that comes to mind in forcing players to wear the pants as intended and not cutting the inside thigh is that they are designed to protect a kind of important artery and what with all those sharp skate thingys flying around out there it might not be a good thing if one of those got nicked.

#27 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
September 18 2013, 12:48PM

Is it pronounced Joe-en-suu or Jone-suu? Or am I way out to lunch?

#28 DonEnrico
September 18 2013, 12:51PM

I liked him when he played in "my" swedish team, and we got to know his mean streak:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHrjBlg8JWw

Oh, and you might want to notice which number he wore...

#29 #ThereGoesTheOilers
September 18 2013, 01:10PM

@RexLibris

In Soviet Russia shorts cut you!

#30 number99
September 18 2013, 01:13PM
westcoastoil wrote:

One of the best goals EVER

#31 westcoastoil
September 18 2013, 01:19PM
number99 wrote:

One of the best goals EVER

Hands down, 100%

I went unconscious once and pulled the move on the goalie off in beer league game once - on purpose even!! ...and then spent the next 5 1/2 seasons trying to figure out exactly what I did so I could try it again

#32 pkam
September 18 2013, 01:22PM
book¡e wrote:

He is one of the few who think and want the rest to believe that sending our NHL squad to play against a bunch of 18 years old will help our team. And sending our 18 years old to play with some NHL players is a waste of time.

#33 Spydyr
September 18 2013, 01:22PM
Jordan Nugent-Hallkins wrote:

Is it pronounced Joe-en-suu or Jone-suu? Or am I way out to lunch?

If ever a player needed a nickname and soon.

#34 LinkfromHyrule
September 18 2013, 01:24PM

@number99

that was excellent! I was not even double digits in age when that goal was scored... I think that puts me at odds with most other posters in here

looking forward to an actual televised game tonight! Too bad belov won't be playing..

Have the lineups for tonights game been posted/tweeted yet?

#35 Dano
September 18 2013, 01:31PM
Spydyr wrote:

If ever a player needed a nickname and soon.

Joen-sy?

#36 vetinari
September 18 2013, 01:36PM

I think I like the Walleye's jersey better than the new Sabres jerseys...

The two players that I was pulling for to shoot out the lights in the pre-season were Joensuu and Omark and only Joensuu has given me something to be reasonably happy about.

#37 Horcksy
September 18 2013, 01:47PM
Dano wrote:

Joen-sy?

Suu-Nami?

#38 ColourMeImpressed
September 18 2013, 02:01PM

I hate the NHL.

""When we talked about it, we said, 'We can do this. Call the rulebook.'""

Two paragraphs later:

"The aforementioned Washington Post article raised the question of whether Ovechkin was specifically targeted. He wears a special back pad to protect against all of the cross-checking he takes and it showed when he tucked in his jersey. "We don't have any problem with him wearing the pad," King said. "We just want it under the uniform.""

Really? If you're going to call the rulebook, how about you call all the crosschecking? Wouldn't the NHL be a happier place, full of more skilled players, if we didn't have guys going down with back injuries? From Lemieux and Neely through Bertuzzi and Spezza and now to Lupul, I think there's been enough loss of games by talented players that...

gah... never mind. The NHL is so hypocritical. For 15 years they didn't call hooking, either.

#39 Grant
September 18 2013, 02:36PM
Spydyr wrote:

If ever a player needed a nickname and soon.

Yessy Yohensu.thats how it is pronounced

#40 StHenriOilBomb
September 18 2013, 04:19PM

I'm going to start calling him Jujube.

To hell with the rest of you.

#41 dad
September 19 2013, 11:12AM

id like to see him playing with nuge and eberle. Like a bickel type of power forward. Lines would look like. Hall-Gagner-Yakupov Joensuu-nuge-eberle perron-gordon-hemsky brown-lander-eager Oilers should also get bryan boyle for new york as a 4th line center. great size and skill.