HEARTBREAKS AND NEW LIFE (GAGNER BROKEN JAW)

Lowetide
September 22 2013 11:03AM

Sam Gagner's broken jaw added to RNH's recovery puts the Oilers in a big hole. How does this week look now? Click through and see.

TRANSACTIONS BEFORE THE GAGNER INJURY

I thought the Oilers might IR Corey Potter, Denis Grebeshkov and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins to start things, and then go into full cut down mode:

• Return Darnell Nurse and Jujhar Khaira to their junior teams.
  • Demote to OKC G Richard Bachman.
  • Sign G Ty Rimmer and send him to Barons camp.
  • Send down Oscar Klefbom, Martin Marincin, Brad Hunt and Taylor Fedun.
  • Send down Anton Lander, Mark Arcobello, Andrew Miller, Ryan Martindale, Linus Omark, Curtis Hamilton and Tyler Pitlick.

OPENING NIGHT 23 MAN ROSTER AFTER THE GAGNER INJURY

• Goal (2): Devan Dubnyk and Jason LaBarberta
  • Defense (7): Jeff Petry, Ladislav Smid, Andrew Ference, Justin Schultz, Nick Schultz, Anton Belov, Phil Larsen
  • Center (4): Taylor Hall, Mark Arcobello, Boyd Gordon, Will Acton, Anton Lander
  • Left Wing (5): David Perron, Jesse Joensuu, Ryan Smyth, Ryan Hamilton, Ben Eager
  • Right Wing (5): Jordan Eberle, Ales Hemsky, Nail Yakupov, Ryan Jones, Mike Brown

After the Gagner injury, I think Arcobello and Lander may make the team.There's no Gagner replacement out there and the Oilers top center is also on the shelf. This is a massive item for the Edmonton Oilers season. I would guess this could be bad news for Ben Eager, Ryan Hamilton or Ryan Jones. Ryan Smyth may be asked to play center.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

It's a bitter bitter pill. Wow.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#101 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
September 22 2013, 02:53PM
David S wrote:

Despite the reality that any retaliation for Kassian smashing Gagner would have come...wait for it...AFTER THE FACT.

Yes David ...time is a continuim.....thank you for that...

Point is, we'd be taking matters into our own hands.

I'm guessing you had you older sister fight your fights for you on the play ground?

#102 Craig1981
September 22 2013, 02:53PM
Spydyr wrote:

You are right Yak should have acknowledged the sweet pass from Khaira and the hard work in the corner from Hamilton. He looked like a me player.

I don't know what people trashed you on this. Its common in all levels of hockey, for the goal-scorer to acknowledge a great assist, with a point, skating over to them, hug, etc. Even more so since it was Khaira's first point in the league (I think). I am not calling for Yaks head, just that he really should of done it.

#103 Mikey
September 22 2013, 02:59PM
Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty) wrote:

Yes David ...time is a continuim.....thank you for that...

Point is, we'd be taking matters into our own hands.

You're right it would have happened after the fact. But, maybe there wouldn't be a next time? I'm an eye for an eye guy. I would have no issue with someone smashing one of the twins teeth in.

#104 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
September 22 2013, 03:01PM
Spydyr wrote:

Gonna have to disagree with you here. Yak worked his ass off for 60 minutes last night, driving the play every time he touched the puck. That goal was his reward for being the best player on the ice, I think he deserved a bit of spotlight after his performance. Plus, the swagger he brings to the ice is something the Oilers have lacked for far too long.

Sweet Jesus, Gags better not be out till the end of October. I like the idea someone above floated of putting Eberle in at 2C, what have they got to lose?

#105 quintana
September 22 2013, 03:01PM

bob mackenzie@.NHL reviewing VAN Dale Weise's hit on EDM Taylor Hall/VAN Zack Kassian high stick on EDM Sam Gagner. No word yet on if hearings will follow.

#106 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
September 22 2013, 03:07PM
pkam wrote:

Okay, Ben Eager is not the answer. How about Steve McIntyre? Would he be scary enough to be the deterrent?

The Oilers injury report: 2009-10: 530 man games 2010-11: 281 man games 2011-12: 246 man games 2012-13: 118 man games (202 prorated for 82 games)

So we had McIntyre in 09-10 and 10-11, but we had more man games lost in those 2 years.

McIntyre KO the Flames enforcer Ivanans in game 1 but our young stars were still being run and finally Hall to fight Dorsett and end his season early. Isn't the same year that Raffi elbow Eberle at his head?

Can you explain why having McIntyre didn't stop the other teams from running our young stars?

I have seen Pest Cooke, Avery, Clutterbuck, etc running star players all these years and never have to fight an enforcer once.

After Nolan hit his teammate, Bissonnette jumped the bench to fight Nolan and got a game misconduct and 10 game suspension, let's see if this will stop the Kings from running their players. I really doubt it.

Four things...

One, maybe you're right, maybe McIntyre wasn't the right guy

Two, its not a zero sum game.....it may well have deterred them......perhaps it would have been worse had he not been there..

Three, you'd rather be the guy/team getting run over as opposed to the guy/team doing the running over?

And Four, and I've said it before, you can't statistic your way to a Stanley Cup....it's a game of emotion...fear, courage, elation, rage, etc....and when some Canuck like Kassian takes Gagner out of the lineup for two months, or elbows Hall in the head and concusses him, or knees RNH and blows his knee out, I don't care what the league does....I want to smash his face in or see one of my teammates smash his face in.....It makes me feel better....so sue me.

#107 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
September 22 2013, 03:15PM
Craig1981 wrote:

Wow, you got a lot of internal rage there......you might want to see someone about that.

The game I saw Edmonton clearly out played Vancouver and I didn't see out team getting "butchered".

Ben Eager fought just as much as he typically does and I have ZERO idea where that comment came from.

Who exactly do you think would need to be in the lineup to have teams be too scared to hit our players?? lol

Not you!

LOL

#108 Wax Man Riley
September 22 2013, 03:16PM
Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty) wrote:

Four things...

One, maybe you're right, maybe McIntyre wasn't the right guy

I think the biggest part of the debate is that having a huge heavyweight face puncher doesn't stop Nuge's knee being blown out, Hall being concussed, or Gagner being hi-sticked.

That still happens no matter how many SMacs, McGrattans, or Lucic's you have in the lineup.

As you said:

The injuries still happen.

#109 Wax Man Riley
September 22 2013, 03:18PM
Jordan Nugent-Hallkins wrote:

What have they got to lose?

Only a playoff berth because MacT decided not to address the center deficiency.

#110 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
September 22 2013, 03:25PM
Wax Man Riley wrote:

What have they got to lose?

Only a playoff berth because MacT decided not to address the center deficiency.

Nor have they addressed what caused the deficiency...LOL

#111 pkam
September 22 2013, 03:33PM
Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty) wrote:

Four things...

One, maybe you're right, maybe McIntyre wasn't the right guy

If McIntyre is not the right guy, who can be the right guy?

If you have an enforcer like McIntyre in your line up and other teams still run your star players, what have you accomplished with the enforcer? How does it help our team to win the Stanley cup? In the last 5 years, which Stanley Cup winners have an enforcer in their roster?

What good does it do if we smash Kassian face or Wiese face? Why don't we run their star players like the Sedins? He took one of our stars out, we will take two of theirs out. And we can do it even with our 3rd/4th liners or even call up from the minors. Why do we need an enforcer to beat their pest?

If all the enforcer can do is beat the hell out of their pest (and I doubt you can sucker punch him without getting suspended if he hides behind the referees), but couldn't stop them from running our star players, who good does it do? Are you going to trade our star players for their pest players?

And what happen after our enforcer get suspended? Open season for all teams to run our star players?

#112 marty62
September 22 2013, 03:36PM

wanted to comment on a couple things. I am as angry as the next fan on what happened with Gagner, and picking up a McIntyre or some other nuclear deterrent is a feel good reaction, but it wont work. If having a goon worked in todays NHL then we wouldnt be constantly on these blogs bitching about the Torres, Tootoo and other morons in the league because the goon deterrent would, if it worked, neutralize them. But it doesnt. THese guys wont engage with fighters or dont have to because its at a time in the game when you dont want to take an instigator penalty. these guys will continue to do what they do until they take away the instigator and then ANYONE on the ice can kick their ass after they do something stupid. i see people are still yammering about Yak and his celebrations. Whats the big deal? lots of players are like that. You have to remember, hes a kid! he is living his dream! I admire how much passion for the game he has and I hope he never stops. Its players like him that make us want to watch. give me more players like him instead of guys that go through the motions and never show anything, and yes Im looking at you Horcoff.....

#113 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
September 22 2013, 03:41PM
pkam wrote:

Question for you Pkam....no sarcasm....no ill will intended.....

When a guy like Mike Brown steps in and takes matters into his own hands by fighting someone on the opposition, Why do the rest of his teammates stand up and bang their sticks on the boards?

Why, after winning a car at an all star game, did Wayne Gretzky give that car to Dave Semenko? Semenko didn't play in that game.

If you can understand the answer to those two questions, you'll understand, at least in part, the arguments I'm making in this thread.

To misqoute Yogi Berra....the game is 2/3's mental...the other half is physical.

#114 madjam
September 22 2013, 03:42PM

League needs to send a message to players with a hefty suspensions to Weise and Kassian .

#115 Oilcruzer
September 22 2013, 03:48PM
DSF wrote:

Yes. I have been all along.

Since young players mature and develop at different rates, it's too early to decide which player will have the better career but I would expect Seguin will open a few eyes this season in Dallas.

He'll be opening some things alright.

Tabs, bottles, speculation on his whereabouts, to name a few.

#116 michael
September 22 2013, 03:49PM

Arcobello and Omark play the first month. No way should Eakins be thinking of sending either to OKC. We need their skill. Balance their size with Hamilton and Jonesuu.

#117 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
September 22 2013, 03:54PM
michael wrote:

Cut it out....You're making Lowtide giddy here.....his eyes are welling up at the thought of it.......Arcobello and Hamilton?!.... ;)

#118 michael
September 22 2013, 03:58PM

Semenko works for the Oilers and is and always will be one of the top 10 Oilers in terms of who people will always remember. He is as iconic as Messier or Gretzky. Who will remember that Louis Debrusk was an Oiler in 20 years? Mike Brown has earned a job on this roster because he not only fights but he has earned his teammates respect for his play. What has Eager done? Zip. Gotta step up and earn your spot.

Fedun? Has stepped up. Deserves a spot. Rimmer? Deserves a contract in Bakersfield.

#119 pkam
September 22 2013, 04:26PM
Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty) wrote:

Question for you Pkam....no sarcasm....no ill will intended.....

Because they enjoy watching fighting like some of the fans do?

They can fight all they want, my point is it won't stop the other team from cheap shot by winning a few meaningless fights. And it definitely will not win you any game.

To some fans, they feel they get some value back if there is a few fights even if their team lose, not me. I couldn't care how many fights we win if we lose the game.

If an enforcer or some fighting can keep the other teams playing honest, I am all for it. But so far I am not convinced.

If you enjoy to watch fighting, that is fine with me. But if you argue that fighting can protect our star players, you have to support your argument with some facts, not just opinion.

I support my argument with facts why I don't think it will work. Where is the facts of your argument?

#120 Spydyr
September 22 2013, 04:53PM
Jordan Nugent-Hallkins wrote:

I have absolutely no problem with you disagreeing. The opposing opinions make the comment section tick.

Personally I much prefer a player that works his butt of for the team to win. A player that wants to make his teammates better to share the spotlight with them.A player that thinks of his teammates first.Like a 19 year old kid's first NHL game getting his first point setting you up.Like the hard work in the corner digging the puck out.On that particular goal I thought the pass was nicer then the shot.

As far as swagger goes here is and old line from Brain Kelly about scoring a touchdown. "When you get to the end zone act you have been there before."

#121 Walter Sobchak
September 22 2013, 04:58PM

My guess is the Oilers will now move Eberle to centre, in fact Eberle was a center and vocal on trying the position in camp.

That's the Oilers best short term solution IMO

#122 Oiler Al
September 22 2013, 05:58PM

Nice to see Eakin and MacT taking the night off during a game to hobknob with Katz and family in his private box! Whats that all about.?

Next thing you know the Curly kid will be sitting in the players box to watch the games.

Bit of Gong show if you ask me. Always dangerous when the owner gets that close to hockey operations.

#123 thebiggestmanintheworld
September 22 2013, 06:01PM

Every team has a reputation.

It doesn't matter what we, as fans, think of them. The players know each team and their players.

Vancouver's rep for being greasy divers is well deserved.

Edmonton's rep for being butter soft and easy to play against is as well.

Enforcer, goons, pests, a good death stare are all well and good, and I have no clue what the "answer" is, but make no mistake about it....

No team fears playing the Oilers.

That has to change if this team is going to win.

#124 ed in edmonton
September 22 2013, 06:23PM
thebiggestmanintheworld wrote:

Every team has a reputation.

Vancouver's rep for being greasy divers is well deserved.

Edmonton's rep for being butter soft and easy to play against is as well.

No team fears playing the Oilers.

That has to change if this team is going to win.

Do you think teams "feared" playing Chicago last year (in a physical sense)?

#125 thebiggestmanintheworld
September 22 2013, 07:16PM
ed in edmonton wrote:

Do you think teams "feared" playing Chicago last year (in a physical sense)?

Yes, I do think teams "feared" playing Chicago last year. Physically and mentally feared it.

Chasing the puck all night is not fun. Skating hard for every loose puck is draining. Scrambling in your own zone is exhausting. Getting hit every time you touch the puck wears you down...

#126 hockeycrazed
September 22 2013, 07:24PM

Watched the game on the tube. I think Rimmer played a good game( 40 min. ) I think he looked confident, and he even played better than Jason (as a back-up to Devan). Jason let in a goal through his five-hole, yet Rimmer let in the goal due to a give away! Also like Yak's dominance on ice, he should continue to improve as an oiler. One disappointment though: Smyth's giving away more than he would like to! Hopefully, he can turn it around before the real season starts! I think Hall looked a bit jitterish, maybe because Center's really more than he can handle?! Hope not, with Gagne out for bit,we need him to excel @ that position, Yesterday!

#127 Wax Man Riley
September 22 2013, 07:26PM
Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty) wrote:

Nor have they addressed what caused the deficiency...LOL

I know! An errant stick and a rut I the ice need to be addressed!

#128 Smokey
September 22 2013, 09:53PM
Oiler Al wrote:

You don't pay 200 mil and have no say in terms of some decisions. No different then any other team.

#129 2004Z06
September 22 2013, 10:24PM

I love how everyone is bashing Mac T for not addressing the center position over the summer. Pretty sure he tried. Also pretty sure he isn't going to turn over half the roster in one summer. Give it a rest, none of us know what he tried to do.

As for a deterent to dirty and cheap shots? Only one answer....get rid of the instigator rule. It protects the cheap shot artists.

Gagner won't miss too much regular season time. He will be back with a full cage in a few weeks.

The sky is not falling people!

#130 Oiler Al
September 22 2013, 10:58PM
Smokey wrote:

Agreed, its his money, but why make your GM and coach sit in your private box, just to show the world you are the boss. Behind the scenes he can have as much say as he wants to. To me this was 'show and tell' .at the extreme.

#131 Dog Train
September 22 2013, 11:02PM

We knew going in that we are very thin at centre. This obviously doesn't help. I think I would rather see Eberle in the middle for a short while Gagner recovers than Arcobello make the team. Arcobello seems like a tweener to me. If there is one plus to the injuries to RNH and Gagner is that it forced the coaching staff to move Hall to the middle. Most successful teams are built up the middle and having our best player play centre could drastically change the outlook of this team going forward if Hall succeeds there.

#132 Oiler Al
September 22 2013, 11:03PM

Why are these loogans even out there during preseason game. They certainly don't dress them for playoff games?

Tortorella dressed all his goonies for a preseason game ...knowing full well that the Oilers play skilled players only.Shows you what class this coach has... none.

Not any different than Scott showboating against the Leafs.. Why are these guys even on the ice at this time of the year... more bush league stuff from the NHL.

#133 Harry
September 22 2013, 11:29PM
michael wrote:

Arcobello, Omark,Hamilton, Acton, Eager, Lander

Get real man this isnt the AHL. We need a 3rd line center asap!

#134 Islanders of the North
September 23 2013, 01:42AM

Keep drafting pit size hockey player and keep claiming they are to work for you.

Worked well so far hasn't it?

Bring them into a league when they are kids playing with men and complain when they get hurt.

Oil have no plan, the good oil boys club still has a lot of dark years ahead of them!

#135 Kodiak
September 23 2013, 05:02AM

Can anyone name Chicago's top two centers? Toews and ??? Handzus? Take them out of the lineup and Chicago's top four centers are Marcus Kruger, Andrew Shaw, Drew Leblanc and a raw rookie. If Boston were to lose Krejci and Bergeron their top four centers would be Peverley, Chris Kelly, Greg Campbell and Ryan Spooner. Is Hall, Arcobello, Gordon, Acton really much worse than that? Bottom line is ANY team losing their top two centers is in a world of hurt.

#136 ed in edmonton
September 23 2013, 10:16AM
thebiggestmanintheworld wrote:

two points.

1. You don't mention getting thrashed in a fight as a issue when "fearing" Chicago. So do think the Oil need a goon or not?

2. Do you think the Bruins feared the Hawks in a physical sense?

#137 DRUDS
September 23 2013, 10:44AM
marty62 wrote:

sweet jesus put in a paragraph for gods sakes!!! My eyes...my eyes....arrrrghghghghhg

#138 tileguy
September 23 2013, 01:52PM

Lol, brought tears to my eyes.