The Road Gets a Little Bumpier

Jason Strudwick
September 23 2013 09:33AM

Saturday night, in a preseason game against the Vancouver Canucks there was a stupid stick swinging incident involving the Canucks Zack Kassian. The result has really put a dent in the Oilers ability to have a strong start to this season.

Sam Gagner was hit by Kassian's stick in the mouth and by all reports he will miss a yet to be determined number of regular season games thanks to a broken jaw. The timing of this is very frustrating for any player.

All players work very hard in the summer to be fine tuned to get off to a good start. Hours in the gym and on the ice make sure they are ready to go. There is never a good time to be injured but I always felt that getting hurt in preseason was brutal.

The rest of the NHL continues right along and a player injured in exhibition is left behind. It is inevitable that Gagner will lose the fine edge he was worked on all summer. His level of conditioning will be challenged in two ways:

One, I would not expect a lot of training for him while the injury is acute. Two, his calorie and diet intake will be altered. After losing teeth and breaking your jaw would you feel like consuming the necessary calories to maintain your weight and energy levels?

I once took a puck to the mouth the morning after our team's rookie party (great times by the way). The dentist described the state of my mouth like this... "it looks like a grenade went off on your lips." Not what I wanted to hear, especially after a late night. A bunch of teeth were loose and I had to wear a brace across my top row of teeth. I lived on soup and protein shakes for a few weeks. Until I could eat whole foods again I was losing weight faster then Gregor was losing his hair at the age of eighteen.

This isn't good news for Gagner. In time he will get to the level he wants to be but it will not be right away. I know how competitive he is and the high expectations he puts on himself. The longer his down time, the longer it will take for him to get back to playing at his self imposed high level.

For the Oilers, the Gagner injury will leave them without their top two centers to start the season. Due to the Olympic break the Oilers have a full month of games in October. Wins will be harder to come by without both Gagner and Nuge. Take the top two centers off any team and that team will struggle.

As for Zach Kassian this was a very stupid play. I honestly don't understand how his stick could end up hitting Gagner in the face. I feel that a player is always responsible for his stick. Always. I do not think it was by accident that it flew up and hit Gagner in the face. It was on or near the ice and then flies up? Makes no sense to me.

The Consequences

Kassian will probably be suspended. If I am the Oilers why do I care about that? It doesn't bring back Gagner any sooner. One, two, 5, 10 games...doesn't make a difference. Even for the Canucks, at this stage in Kassian's development their team will move on without him.

I think the issue is with the lack of overall toughness in the Oilers lineup. Players like Kassian have no fear in playing the Oilers extra tough. Who outside of Mike Brown can stand up to a guy like Kassian or Andrew Alberts? Both these guys were running around Saturday night in Edmonton like there was no reason to be afraid! They're big guys, but nothing to lose sleep over unless a team like the Oilers doesn't have guys to match up to them with.

I know Edmonton got a lot of power plays against the Canucks Saturday. The plan is to score on those PP attempts frequently enough that the opponent will have to tone down the physical play. I get that, but at some point doesn't the team need to have the ability to stand up for itself?

When is enough enough? And when they get to that point who will be the guy to do it? I really like Brown as a player, he played very well saturday, but it is unfair to ask one undersized guy to fight the whole team's battles. I am not saying go out and bring in a Steve MacIntyre type player, just bring in someone who can play and step up when needed.

Last summer the Canadians signed Brandon Prust to a nice contract. He plays hard and fought most of the team's battles when needed. He did a good job but it is a lonely job if you are the only one doing it and you are undersized. Marc Bergevin saw the need to get him some help. This off season he brought in George Parros to take the pressure off Prust. I guarantee all the Habs are walking taller this season.

I don't care if Kassian gets suspended for one or ten games. I do care how the Oilers respond when they play him again. It is important for the team to not brush this over like nothing happened or it was an accident. The Oiler team can make a statement to not only the Canucks but all the teams in the league with some kind of a response.

Will someone stand up and say enough is enough?

5cf6b487166aced0cd781e41bfef915e
Jason hosts the Jason Strudwick show from 9pm to 12am, weeknights on the team 1260. He is an instructor at Mount Carmel Hockey Academy and loves working with the kids. Having played over 650 games in the NHL, Jason has some great stories and unique takes on life in the NHL. He loves Slurpees and Blizzards. Dislikes baggy clothes and close talkers.
Avatar
#151 Romulus' Apotheosis
September 23 2013, 12:35PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
+1
5
props
DSF wrote:

"Freak accidents and horrible goonery are remarkably ignorant of deterrents."

On that we can agree.

But the failure to respond to physical play has consequences that you cannot and will not ever be able to measure.

And yet you are still trying to use your high school logic classes to refute the knowledge of those with far more insight into the issue at hand.

In that very game Brown fought Weise.

Didn't help Hall, who could have been seriously effed +/- a couple of inches.

And... after that Kassian still acted look a twerb.

Add five more twerbs to the Oil. Kassian doesn't change his routine.

You agree with that. You are fighting with yourself.

Avatar
#152 Romulus' Apotheosis
September 23 2013, 12:38PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
+1
8
props
Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty) wrote:

Seriously Rom....call it day on this one....you're rebuttals are getting weaker and it's getting difficult to stay respectful.

I'm not sure why anyone ought to be disrespectful.

If you disagree with me tell me why. If you are tired of the conversation, feel free to ignore it.

Avatar
#153 Bonvie
September 23 2013, 12:39PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
0
props
DSF wrote:

"Freak accidents and horrible goonery are remarkably ignorant of deterrents."

On that we can agree.

But the failure to respond to physical play has consequences that you cannot and will not ever be able to measure.

And yet you are still trying to use your high school logic classes to refute the knowledge of those with far more insight into the issue at hand.

This was a great moment for the Edmonton Oilers. You don't have that many skilled assets without protection.

Avatar
#154 DSF
September 23 2013, 12:42PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
+1
7
props
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

In that very game Brown fought Weise.

Didn't help Hall, who could have been seriously effed +/- a couple of inches.

And... after that Kassian still acted look a twerb.

Add five more twerbs to the Oil. Kassian doesn't change his routine.

You agree with that. You are fighting with yourself.

Keep trying.

Thing is, Weiss laid a beating on Brown and no one stepped up to challenge Kassian because they would have received a beating too.

Adding a player or two who doesn't hide under a table the during the fight in the bar would make a significant difference whether or not you believe it.

Had someone made Kassian pay for his sins I would wager he would have "changed his routine".

Avatar
#155 Gkpoil
September 23 2013, 12:46PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
+1
6
props
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

So, what is the fantasy here...

SMac is put on the ice against the Sedins.

If.. and this is a big if, he manages to catch up to one of them without the Oil getting scored on, he smashes one.

A Sedin is out for x amount of time.

SMac is suspended for x amount of time.

The Oilers don't improve having the Nucks lose a player. Probably lose the game. And now they are without their hulking beast.

You gain nothing other than violence and are back to square one.

Maybe hockey is too violent for you, prehaps tennis is more your type of game.

Face it Smack isn't the final answer for the oil but at least he offers a response, hopefully Eakins will let him goon it up when needed (but I don't expect you to understand why targeting another teams' stars can be a useful deterent)

Avatar
#156 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
September 23 2013, 12:46PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
+1
8
props
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

I'm not sure why anyone ought to be disrespectful.

If you disagree with me tell me why. If you are tired of the conversation, feel free to ignore it.

I've told you why.....but you won't shut up!

Twenty people have told you why....but you keep nattering on in circles....it's unbecoming.

Avatar
#157 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
September 23 2013, 12:51PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
+1
2
props
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

I'm not sure why anyone ought to be disrespectful.

If you disagree with me tell me why. If you are tired of the conversation, feel free to ignore it.

Look Rom....just go listen to the MacT press conference...and if you still don't get it ...that's ok....just at some point give it a rest.

I'm not trying to muzzle you..or assault your freedom of speech.....but I think you've made you're point....can you not just acknowledge that others have differing opinions....and move on?

Avatar
#158 Romulus' Apotheosis
September 23 2013, 12:52PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
+1
5
props
Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty) wrote:

I've told you why.....but you won't shut up!

Twenty people have told you why....but you keep nattering on in circles....it's unbecoming.

So, the argument you agree with is "becoming" but hearing an alternative is "unbecoming"?

I guess those of us who don't agree should leave you to it? Is that more interesting?

Seems like a pretty bland way to run a comments section.

If you are just tired of the circles, I agree with you it is tedious. But the alternative is to stop reading. After all, we are all still on topic.

Avatar
#159 Eastern Oil
September 23 2013, 12:58PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
+1
5
props

@Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)

Give it a rest. Explain why you disagree with Rom's position instead of resorting to playground antics.

All I hear in the lower levels of discourse is cliches and catch words. Whether you disagree with either of their positions or not, at least they are having a decent discussion about it.

Avatar
#160 Eastern Oil
September 23 2013, 12:58PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
+1
2
props

@Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)

Give it a rest. Explain why you disagree with Rom's position instead of resorting to playground antics.

All I hear in the lower levels of discourse is cliches and catch words. Whether you disagree with either of their positions or not, at least they are having a decent discussion about it.

Avatar
#161 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
September 23 2013, 12:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

So, the argument you agree with is "becoming" but hearing an alternative is "unbecoming"?

I guess those of us who don't agree should leave you to it? Is that more interesting?

Seems like a pretty bland way to run a comments section.

If you are just tired of the circles, I agree with you it is tedious. But the alternative is to stop reading. After all, we are all still on topic.

By unbecoming.....I mean weak.....your comments are normally well thought out and interesting.....I think you you know what I mean ...so ill let it go.....ill move on..

Avatar
#162 dougtheslug
September 23 2013, 01:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
10
props
DSF wrote:

Keep trying.

Thing is, Weiss laid a beating on Brown and no one stepped up to challenge Kassian because they would have received a beating too.

Adding a player or two who doesn't hide under a table the during the fight in the bar would make a significant difference whether or not you believe it.

Had someone made Kassian pay for his sins I would wager he would have "changed his routine".

Just in the interest of accuracy, more than two thirds of responders on hockeyfights.com rated the bout a draw, or felt Brown had won the fight. It sure looked like Weiss was checking his forehead for leakage as he left the ice. And he was a non-factor the rest of the way. No "beating" was laid on anyone.

Avatar
#163 Romulus' Apotheosis
September 23 2013, 01:05PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
+1
4
props
DSF wrote:

Keep trying.

Thing is, Weiss laid a beating on Brown and no one stepped up to challenge Kassian because they would have received a beating too.

Adding a player or two who doesn't hide under a table the during the fight in the bar would make a significant difference whether or not you believe it.

Had someone made Kassian pay for his sins I would wager he would have "changed his routine".

Not sure what you are talking about.

The fight seemed pretty even with Brown maybe having a slight edge until he lost his footing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvPKN7vF164

Weise suffered a small cut it appears on the forehead. Not sure how getting hit in the head and having your opponent slip works out to "laid a beating."

The play by Kassian was so far behind the play that no one was around to step up to Kassian who was surrounded by refs by the time they arrived.

The damage was done and would be again. You can't deter someone like Kassian. You've already conceded that, though you now hold a different opinion.

What good would someone fighting Kassian after the fact accomplish? Gagner's still injured. Kassian will still be an idiot.

Avatar
#164 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
September 23 2013, 01:07PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
+1
2
props
Eastern Oil wrote:

@Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)

Give it a rest. Explain why you disagree with Rom's position instead of resorting to playground antics.

All I hear in the lower levels of discourse is cliches and catch words. Whether you disagree with either of their positions or not, at least they are having a decent discussion about it.

That's my point EO.....I've explained in one or two posts how I respectfully disagree with his opinion....as have 20 other people.......but rambling on hammering the same point over and over again just because others disagree with you is not a higher level of discourse....

But good for you if you enjoy it.....I mean that sincerely.....understanding that there are those who like it....I will leave it alone.....

Avatar
#165 ed in edmonton
September 23 2013, 01:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
DSF wrote:

Keep trying.

Thing is, Weiss laid a beating on Brown and no one stepped up to challenge Kassian because they would have received a beating too.

Adding a player or two who doesn't hide under a table the during the fight in the bar would make a significant difference whether or not you believe it.

Had someone made Kassian pay for his sins I would wager he would have "changed his routine".

Having a guy who "will stand up for his team mates" may make others on the Oil feel better and they then may perform better. If the team is fragile in a "physical confidence" sense then maybe they need something.

Bringing in SMac might be a bit like the Oil bringing in Adam Oates a few years ago. If he can't play he won't be of much use. But the truly effective goons are all have contracts by now and unless the Oil are willing to give up something of value...

Kassian is not so big that,I suspect, he has had some fights in which he has come out second best. And he still plays the way he does. He knows if he changes that part of his game he won't be in the NHL. I'm sure he realizes he will need to answer the bell from time to time and that he will not always come out on top. But he also knows if he isn't willing to accept that he won't be in the NHL.

Avatar
#166 Romulus' Apotheosis
September 23 2013, 01:09PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
+1
2
props
Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty) wrote:

Look Rom....just go listen to the MacT press conference...and if you still don't get it ...that's ok....just at some point give it a rest.

I'm not trying to muzzle you..or assault your freedom of speech.....but I think you've made you're point....can you not just acknowledge that others have differing opinions....and move on?

I think he made a big blunder.

I think that is a valid opinion.

I'm happy to concede people of good faith can hold divergent opinions. I think the best way to do so is to take those opinions seriously and challenge them where you disagree.

That doesn't mean you hold that person in contempt, or disrespect. It means you take them seriously, listen and try to learn.

Avatar
#167 Romulus' Apotheosis
September 23 2013, 01:12PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
+1
3
props
Gkpoil wrote:

Maybe hockey is too violent for you, prehaps tennis is more your type of game.

Face it Smack isn't the final answer for the oil but at least he offers a response, hopefully Eakins will let him goon it up when needed (but I don't expect you to understand why targeting another teams' stars can be a useful deterent)

I think this gets to the heart of the matter for a lot of the side conversations here.

I love hockey. I love a good tilt. I love a good hit. I love the odd Messier elbow.

But I love hockey.

I don't love goon shows. I don't love players who can't do anything but hit meat.

I also don't think these kind of players help you win games. Which, is the object of hockey.

Avatar
#168 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
September 23 2013, 01:13PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
2
props
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

I think he made a big blunder.

I think that is a valid opinion.

I'm happy to concede people of good faith can hold divergent opinions. I think the best way to do so is to take those opinions seriously and challenge them where you disagree.

That doesn't mean you hold that person in contempt, or disrespect. It means you take them seriously, listen and try to learn.

I agree...how can anyone not agree with that.....I guess my point is I don't think, on this one, that you're practicing what you preach.

Avatar
#169 pkam
September 23 2013, 01:17PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
+1
4
props
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

So, the argument you agree with is "becoming" but hearing an alternative is "unbecoming"?

I guess those of us who don't agree should leave you to it? Is that more interesting?

Seems like a pretty bland way to run a comments section.

If you are just tired of the circles, I agree with you it is tedious. But the alternative is to stop reading. After all, we are all still on topic.

Give it up. It is meaningless to debate with them. They choose to believe in something that facts prove otherwise.

I have tried with facts as argument and ask him to counter that with facts and unable to do, he responded with "why do you think the players all stand up and hit the board with their sticks when a fight broke out".

It is like trying to tell someone who enjoys smoking that research has proved smoking is bad to his health and he asks you then why so many people still smoke.

Avatar
#170 Hemmercules
September 23 2013, 01:22PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
3
props

They never seem to use Smac the right way. It always plays out the same. Regehr runs hemsky. They send out Smac after the fact to pick a fight with him. Regehr declines to fight. Smac fights the nearest goon. Nobody learn anything other than don't fight Smac because he breaks faces.

The only way Smac works is if he brings something else to the game, which if I remember from last time, he didn't.

If he is a beast at killing penalties and they maybe put him out early in the game to run a couple hard shifts to send an early message then maybe he works out. Useless player if he just sits 90% of the time in games they actually use him in and then just run him out to fight another 7' goon.

Avatar
#171 Gkpoil
September 23 2013, 01:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
4
props
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

I think this gets to the heart of the matter for a lot of the side conversations here.

I love hockey. I love a good tilt. I love a good hit. I love the odd Messier elbow.

But I love hockey.

I don't love goon shows. I don't love players who can't do anything but hit meat.

I also don't think these kind of players help you win games. Which, is the object of hockey.

Yes the object is to score, but you can't if you are laying on the ice with a broken jaw. In a perfect world you don't need the Smacks of the league, but when you have teams that dress the Kassians of the league you need to protect your assets.

No, fighting Kassian would not do any good and no, Smack is not going to score you many goals (if any). But if he goons another teams star in retaliation the message will be sent, 'eye for an eye'.

And responding to an earlier post, if Smack knocks out Kesler or a sister for a month for Kassian's actions.... good. We lose Smack for a while but other team's goons will be aware that their actions against our stars will have serious reprecussions. Remember we play evey team twice now...

Avatar
#172 Eastern Oil
September 23 2013, 01:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
2
props

@ Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)

Well said, and I apologize if I came on too strong. I tried to read through some of the comments and if I missed your explanation that's my fault.

As always, with issues like fighting/truculence, the conversation seems to race to the lowest common denominator. Although I do not mind adding toughness to our lineup, I would have preferred someone with QUITE a bit more ability and/or a real NHL centre.

Avatar
#173 2004Z06
September 23 2013, 01:49PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
1
props
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

I think this gets to the heart of the matter for a lot of the side conversations here.

I love hockey. I love a good tilt. I love a good hit. I love the odd Messier elbow.

But I love hockey.

I don't love goon shows. I don't love players who can't do anything but hit meat.

I also don't think these kind of players help you win games. Which, is the object of hockey.

Do you love uncontested sticks to the face and broken jaws?

Do you think penalties, strong power plays and suspensions are deterring this type of action in the game?

Clearly the evidence of Saturday night proves that they aren't.

What is the option here if you cannot simply go out and pick up a Colton Orr, Steve Ott?

At least there is an effort to do something!

Avatar
#174 pkam
September 23 2013, 01:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
4
props
Gkpoil wrote:

Yes the object is to score, but you can't if you are laying on the ice with a broken jaw. In a perfect world you don't need the Smacks of the league, but when you have teams that dress the Kassians of the league you need to protect your assets.

No, fighting Kassian would not do any good and no, Smack is not going to score you many goals (if any). But if he goons another teams star in retaliation the message will be sent, 'eye for an eye'.

And responding to an earlier post, if Smack knocks out Kesler or a sister for a month for Kassian's actions.... good. We lose Smack for a while but other team's goons will be aware that their actions against our stars will have serious reprecussions. Remember we play evey team twice now...

I agree running their star players is the best way to send a message.

But why do we need SMack to knock out Kesler or Sedins? We have Eager, Brown, Joensuu, Acton, Hamilton, Jones, Smyth, Pitlick, Lander, none of them can do it? Worse case, we can call Abney up from minors.

Kassian and Wiese are not going to fight SMack. In fact, nobody will. And he can't play and I think he might even have trouble just trying to hit Kesler or Sedins. Probably all he can do is sitting on the bench yelling.

There is a reason why the Pens put him on waiver and send him down to the minors. He only played 12 games in 11-12 and 1 game last year.

Avatar
#175 MessyEH!
September 23 2013, 01:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
9
props

You want a deterent. Gagner should get up and two hand crank Kassian in the throat. Yeah Gagner gets suspended. He'd be off injured anyway. But now he gets space. Now he gets left alone.

Or Eakins tells one of the tryouts to run the goalie in the next shift. "Chicken wing elbow as you cross the crease. "

Having a goon on the bench isn't a deterrent, having a couple players who will end your career is.

Avatar
#176 2004Z06
September 23 2013, 01:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props
Eastern Oil wrote:

@ Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)

Well said, and I apologize if I came on too strong. I tried to read through some of the comments and if I missed your explanation that's my fault.

As always, with issues like fighting/truculence, the conversation seems to race to the lowest common denominator. Although I do not mind adding toughness to our lineup, I would have preferred someone with QUITE a bit more ability and/or a real NHL centre.

Agree, just call up Mac T and let him know where those guys are.

This is a stop gap move until that player comes available.

Easy for us fans to armchair GM and say what this team needs, much more difficult to make it happen in reality unless you are Jim Nill of course. (That one is for you DSF)

Avatar
#177 pkam
September 23 2013, 02:34PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
+1
0
props
MessyEH! wrote:

You want a deterent. Gagner should get up and two hand crank Kassian in the throat. Yeah Gagner gets suspended. He'd be off injured anyway. But now he gets space. Now he gets left alone.

Or Eakins tells one of the tryouts to run the goalie in the next shift. "Chicken wing elbow as you cross the crease. "

Having a goon on the bench isn't a deterrent, having a couple players who will end your career is.

You think Kassian will stand there an let Gagner crank him in his throat?

The result is probably Gagner get smash at his jaw and end up with a more serious injury and out for even longer.

Just send a goon out the next game and get the Sedins and Kesler and make sure they will be out longer than Gagner. Don't even bother to answer any call to fight.

Avatar
#178 GVBlackhawk
September 23 2013, 02:58PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
0
props
Gkpoil wrote:

Yes the object is to score, but you can't if you are laying on the ice with a broken jaw. In a perfect world you don't need the Smacks of the league, but when you have teams that dress the Kassians of the league you need to protect your assets.

No, fighting Kassian would not do any good and no, Smack is not going to score you many goals (if any). But if he goons another teams star in retaliation the message will be sent, 'eye for an eye'.

And responding to an earlier post, if Smack knocks out Kesler or a sister for a month for Kassian's actions.... good. We lose Smack for a while but other team's goons will be aware that their actions against our stars will have serious reprecussions. Remember we play evey team twice now...

So who is going to retaliate when he is serving 10-20 game suspensions?

Avatar
#179 Eastern Oil
September 23 2013, 03:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ 2004Z06

So I should not be able to criticize a move that makes no sense then?

I understand that good 3rd/4th line centres are not available on a whim, but there is a difference between making an effort to fill the gap and falling off the wagon.

I realize that things might still fall into place with as teams put guys on waivers but the Oilers have been shallow up the middle since last November.

Avatar
#180 MessyEH!
September 23 2013, 03:21PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
3
props
pkam wrote:

You think Kassian will stand there an let Gagner crank him in his throat?

The result is probably Gagner get smash at his jaw and end up with a more serious injury and out for even longer.

Just send a goon out the next game and get the Sedins and Kesler and make sure they will be out longer than Gagner. Don't even bother to answer any call to fight.

I didn't think Gags would stand there and let Kassian nail him in the jaw.

Oh right he wasn't expecting it.

Avatar
#181 Rama Lama
September 23 2013, 03:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@Romulus' Apotheosis

Romolus, no amount of logic will change your opinion, we get that. At lease you stick by your argument, however weak and pathetic.

I would love to play hockey against your family and probably after the second time I run your mother, elbow your brother, and swing my stick at your grandmother breaking her jaw in three places............you will understand that beting the crap out of me will probably not change the outcome of the game, but I will be thinking of the beating I took last game and this may alter the way I play the next game.

Want to give it a try? Or do you perfer to stay buried in the sand?

Avatar
#182 MessyEH!
September 23 2013, 03:36PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
0
props
Rama Lama wrote:

Romolus, no amount of logic will change your opinion, we get that. At lease you stick by your argument, however weak and pathetic.

I would love to play hockey against your family and probably after the second time I run your mother, elbow your brother, and swing my stick at your grandmother breaking her jaw in three places............you will understand that beting the crap out of me will probably not change the outcome of the game, but I will be thinking of the beating I took last game and this may alter the way I play the next game.

Want to give it a try? Or do you perfer to stay buried in the sand?

If you play that type of game. Your prepared to take a beating. What your not prepared for is someone coming to end your career.

Avatar
#183 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
September 23 2013, 03:39PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props
Eastern Oil wrote:

@ Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)

Well said, and I apologize if I came on too strong. I tried to read through some of the comments and if I missed your explanation that's my fault.

As always, with issues like fighting/truculence, the conversation seems to race to the lowest common denominator. Although I do not mind adding toughness to our lineup, I would have preferred someone with QUITE a bit more ability and/or a real NHL centre.

No worries....I appreciate the clarification......and I agree completely with your comment.....funny thing is.....as much as I like fighting in the game....I care a lot more about winning a Stanley Cup....and having a dedicated enforcer is not the way to go in the long run.........but IMO these things don't occur in a vacuum...it's really dependant on the make up of the team at any given point......for right now MacT is doing what has to be done....I hope and suspect that in Sept 2014 we won't need MacIntyre.

Avatar
#184 pkam
September 23 2013, 03:40PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
0
props
MessyEH! wrote:

I didn't think Gags would stand there and let Kassian nail him in the jaw.

Oh right he wasn't expecting it.

If Gagner try to do that, what do you think will happen? I bet it will end up with a fight, wouldn't it?

What is the chance Gagner win a fight with a guy about 3" taller and 20 lbs heavier, not to mention he has a broker jaw? And what do you think Kassian will target if they really get into a fight? Oh right, he is such a gentleman that he will stay away from Gagner's jaw because he knows his jaw is probably broken with all the teeth on the ice.

Remember what Chara target Crosby when they tangled up in front of the net in the last playoff series?

Avatar
#185 Gkpoil
September 23 2013, 03:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
2
props
GVBlackhawk wrote:

So who is going to retaliate when he is serving 10-20 game suspensions?

Hopefully someone else steps up. Once the precedent is set, other teams will think twice. Coaches will not give their goons the green light to go after our stars if they know that Eakins will allow one of his players to seek retribution.

The oil had to do something and Smack is the best/ most viable option we have right now.

If he doesn't pan out, put him on waivers.

Avatar
#186 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
September 23 2013, 03:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
5
props
MessyEH! wrote:

You want a deterent. Gagner should get up and two hand crank Kassian in the throat. Yeah Gagner gets suspended. He'd be off injured anyway. But now he gets space. Now he gets left alone.

Or Eakins tells one of the tryouts to run the goalie in the next shift. "Chicken wing elbow as you cross the crease. "

Having a goon on the bench isn't a deterrent, having a couple players who will end your career is.

You must have read Theo Fluerry's book......cause that's what he said worked for him.

Avatar
#187 Romulus' Apotheosis
September 23 2013, 03:47PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
0
props
Rama Lama wrote:

Romolus, no amount of logic will change your opinion, we get that. At lease you stick by your argument, however weak and pathetic.

I would love to play hockey against your family and probably after the second time I run your mother, elbow your brother, and swing my stick at your grandmother breaking her jaw in three places............you will understand that beting the crap out of me will probably not change the outcome of the game, but I will be thinking of the beating I took last game and this may alter the way I play the next game.

Want to give it a try? Or do you perfer to stay buried in the sand?

Noted for posterity.

This is still a hockey blog right?

Avatar
#188 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
September 23 2013, 03:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
3
props

Good blog.......I really enjoyed it...including 90% of Rom's posts....I think the various opinions were well represented......it would be pretty boring if we all agreed about everything.

On to the next article.....

THANKS STRUDS!

We're gonna have a Battle of the Blades party and have a shot every time your butt hits the ice!

Avatar
#189 GVBlackhawk
September 23 2013, 03:58PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
+1
0
props
Gkpoil wrote:

Hopefully someone else steps up. Once the precedent is set, other teams will think twice. Coaches will not give their goons the green light to go after our stars if they know that Eakins will allow one of his players to seek retribution.

The oil had to do something and Smack is the best/ most viable option we have right now.

If he doesn't pan out, put him on waivers.

I agree that the Oilers had to do something. But I think that they needed to find a stop-gap center, not a guy who is going to play 2 minutes per night and fight the other team's goon.

Nothing could have prevented what happened to Sam Gagner. This is a knee-jerk reaction to a dumb play by an idiotic player.

Avatar
#190 The-End
September 23 2013, 03:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
4
props

When someone cheap shots RNH-Eberle-Yakapov and Steve Destroys the culprit or better yet someone of equal skill on the opposition , you very hypocrite's will be the first to stand and applaud. I've been there, seen it and done it.

Your Team , like it or not, just grew 3 inches and put on 20 lbs and grew some nads.

Me

Avatar
#191 michael
September 23 2013, 04:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props
DSF wrote:

"Freak accidents and horrible goonery are remarkably ignorant of deterrents."

On that we can agree.

But the failure to respond to physical play has consequences that you cannot and will not ever be able to measure.

And yet you are still trying to use your high school logic classes to refute the knowledge of those with far more insight into the issue at hand.

Eakins has said he wants all of his players to be physical. Yup. Read Finish your checks. Not do a Hall and pick a fight with a nothing player from Columbus and wind up on the IR. Yeah we expect Gagner to drop em with Kassian. Or some other HULK who decides to crack open our skulls like a coconut. Why? Because we ain't gonna do squat about it.

Everybody remembers Messier as an elite player. They forget he had like 30 fights in his first 2 years. He punched his way to respectability.

You all think that is going to happen now? Not a chance. So what is the bitching about getting Smack? As long as teams continue to employ thugs and frankly use intimidation we'll need guys like Smack. Brown is willing but does not put the fear into other teams like a guy like Smack.

He can't skate. He can't score. He can't. Well for once I agree with DSF and I feel that the intangibles that Smack brings onto the ice and off the ice outweigh and override any argument against his role on this team as an enforcer.

Avatar
#192 MessyEH!
September 23 2013, 04:02PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
5
props
Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty) wrote:

You must have read Theo Fluerry's book......cause that's what he said worked for him.

I hated Fleury for his dirty play. But no one cheap shotted him twice.

Avatar
#193 MessyEH!
September 23 2013, 04:13PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
1
props
pkam wrote:

If Gagner try to do that, what do you think will happen? I bet it will end up with a fight, wouldn't it?

What is the chance Gagner win a fight with a guy about 3" taller and 20 lbs heavier, not to mention he has a broker jaw? And what do you think Kassian will target if they really get into a fight? Oh right, he is such a gentleman that he will stay away from Gagner's jaw because he knows his jaw is probably broken with all the teeth on the ice.

Remember what Chara target Crosby when they tangled up in front of the net in the last playoff series?

Yeah a civil hockey fight. That's broken up as soon as you hit the ice.

I am not talking the one handed wild swing Kassian made.I am talking a two handed baseball style smash. Delivered by a pro athlete.

If a fight followed, or not, a message would be sent don't f@(k around.

Avatar
#194 MessyEH!
September 23 2013, 04:19PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
3
props
Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty) wrote:

You must have read Theo Fluerry's book......cause that's what he said worked for him.

Imagine if all the fab 5 played with a little sand in there panties. Closed in and circled like wolves.

Avatar
#195 David S
September 23 2013, 05:01PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
+1
0
props
MessyEH! wrote:

You want a deterent. Gagner should get up and two hand crank Kassian in the throat. Yeah Gagner gets suspended. He'd be off injured anyway. But now he gets space. Now he gets left alone.

Or Eakins tells one of the tryouts to run the goalie in the next shift. "Chicken wing elbow as you cross the crease. "

Having a goon on the bench isn't a deterrent, having a couple players who will end your career is.

What the Oilers didn't mention is that due to the impact from Kassian's being so powerful it broke Gagner's jaw it's very likely Sam also suffered a concussion in the process. He was probably half lights-out on the way to the bench, on top of being in agonizing pain.

Avatar
#196 pkam
September 23 2013, 05:45PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
2
props
MessyEH! wrote:

Yeah a civil hockey fight. That's broken up as soon as you hit the ice.

I am not talking the one handed wild swing Kassian made.I am talking a two handed baseball style smash. Delivered by a pro athlete.

If a fight followed, or not, a message would be sent don't f@(k around.

If I swing the stick or a dirty hit on your player, do I not expect some kind of retaliation?

I don't know about Kassian, but if I cheapshot somebody, I am well prepared for some kind of retaliation.

I am not against retaliation, but you have to it smart too, like what Keith did to Daniel Sedin. You take a penalty or suspension, but make sure you get your job done and don't put yourself in more harm.

Avatar
#197 oilersplumber
September 23 2013, 05:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
3
props

I wonder how many of you out there are over 50 ? Doubt we would be having this discussion if most of you were and could have seen the Flyers, Bruins, even the Rangers and Canadiens of the day.......I wonder if that was why Slats had a few of his own. You think Wayne would have had the room he had with out them ? Doubtful.........aaah the wisdom that comes with age......

Avatar
#198 Reach Advantage
September 23 2013, 05:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
2
props

Does having MacIntyre dressed deter Kassian from doing what he did?

I have no idea if it does at the NHL level. At my level it would have, I think. Would it Jason?

Avatar
#199 michael
September 23 2013, 05:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props

Kassian gets 5 games and he starts talking smack before Smack is even on the plane out of Pittsburgh. You don't think Smack is on the plane on his Twitter account and seeing that and thinking to him self. Which ant should I squash first. NHL does like predetermined fights. Really? The first game that the Oilers vs Nucks play where they are both in the lineup is going to watched as closely as Battle of the Blades when Struds is on.

Adding a cannon to a gun fight puts the odds of us winning the gunfight more so in our favor.

Avatar
#200 Reach Advantage
September 23 2013, 06:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
2
props

I don't think fear of a fair fight deters too many from doing something dirty. I think what deters someone from doing something dirty, is fear that it is highly likely that they themselves will receive an action that is intended to injure them. They will be forced to evaluate weighing going thru with their intended cheap shot with: a)potential pain of injury b)potential rehab c)potential injury that reduces their ability to play the game at the level they currently do d)potential loss of income due to (c) e)potential loss of career

Comments are closed for this article.