THE WAY I SEE IT: SPIN

Robin Brownlee
September 04 2013 08:23PM

What we heard today from Edmonton Oilers GM Craig MacTavish and Ales Hemsky was a combination of pure spin and putting the best foot forward for the sake of public consumption.

After suggesting it might be time for Hemsky and former captain Shawn Horcoff to move along after being beaten down by seven years of losing, and successfully unloading Horcoff to Dallas, MacTavish told media summoned to Rexall Place that No. 83 was off the trading block.

What MacTavish didn’t say was that Hemsky is off the block and back in Edmonton because he didn’t get anything resembling what the Oilers deemed a reasonable return for the unquestionably talented Czech winger. That the market for him was, at best, minimal. I deemed it, essentially, zero.

For his part, Hemsky, who looked as comfortable as the lone man in the office getting dragged along to a company lunch with 20 of his female co-workers, went along, saying he was happy to be back and would do his utmost to be a better player and more of a leader.

What Hemsky didn’t say today is he'd still welcome a move to a new address because all the defeat and losing in Edmonton has worn him down, as MacT suggested it had months ago. That he'd play along for the sake of appearance, hoping that a hot 20-30 games to start this season might bump his value and produce a ticket out of town.

What else did you expect?

NOT MANY OPTIONS

With the Oilers making it known for at least the last couple of seasons that Hemsky has been available, and given his suggestion a chance in scenery might be the best thing for Hemsky and the Oilers this off-season with no serious takers, MacTavish doesn't have a lot of options. He picked the best one today.

Yes, it's spin, but today's staged kiss-and-make-up routine is better than having an asset like Hemsky sit on the sidelines or feel like he's on the outside looking in as he diminishes in value. There is no upside to that, as we saw with the clumsy handling of Sheldon Souray by ousted GM Steve Tambellini.

Thus, we got talk today about the possibility Hemsky could be a valuable piece of the puzzle moving forward. I don’t buy it, at least not for any period beyond the next trade deadline, but, like a politician stuck in an unhappy marriage at election time, better to put on a united front until the polls close before calling in the lawyers to draw up the divorce papers.

There is a win-win scenario here and that happens if Hemsky stays engaged in the process and tears it up like he can until enough pro scouts from the 29 other NHL teams conclude that he's not only capable of staying healthy, but returning to productivity. If that happens, Hemsky might get his ticket out of town and the Oilers might get a return that makes some sense.

But off the block? My eye.

THIS AND THAT . . .

. . . With the rookies set to get started in Penticton Thursday, we’ll get our first look at Oscar Klefbom, who, at least right now, is the best of a pretty good crop of young blueliners looking to impress. Darnell Nurse will get his share of the spotlight to be sure, but Klefbom's pursuit of a roster spot now through main camp is what has my attention.

. . . As assistant coach Steve Smith told Jason Gregor and I today, Anton Belov is having some problems with his visa and delays will see him miss the start of training camp. Right now, we don’t have any more details than that, as in when he'll arrive, but not a good start for the 27-year-old Russian.

PUMPS AND A DRESS FOR GREGOR

Oilersnation readers not only have a chance to contribute to a very worthwhile charity, Walk A Mile In Her Shoes, they have the opportunity to see Jason Gregor sashaying around publicly in pumps and a dress (as he occasionally does in the privacy of his own home on weekends) if they open up their wallets between now and Monday.

Here’s the skinny:

If fans of The Nation and listeners of the Jason Gregor Show donate $2,000 to the charity through the link I'll provide, Gregor will do his thing at The Walk A Mile In Her Shoes event wearing a Trisha Pasnak Infiniti dress (and pumps, of course).

If donations reach $3,000 in Gregor's name, he'll shave his legs. If we raise $4,000, he'll get his legs waxed before donning the dress and pumps. If donations reach $6,000, Gregor will be dragged kicking and screaming for a full Brazilian wax job – you know, "down there."

Donations can be made HERE.

Listen to Robin Brownlee Wednesdays and Thursdays from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. on the Jason Gregor Show on TEAM 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
A sports writer since 1983, including stints at The Edmonton Journal and The Sun 1989-2007, I happily co-host the Jason Gregor Show on TSN 1260 twice a week and write when so inclined. Have the best damn lawn on the internet. Most important, I am Sam's dad. Follow me on Twitter at Robin_Brownlee. Or don't.
Avatar
#51 Zarny
September 04 2013, 11:18PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
44
cheers

@DSF

Clarkson is a 29 y/o undrafted player who spent years in the minors, 4 years on the 4th line and scored 30 G once playing with Elias, Parise and Kovalchuk. After a hot start last year he finished with 5G in 34 games. That's 12G over 82 games.

The peak points by age in the NHL is 25 and after 29 it's all downhill. David Clarkson is not the type of player to beat the average and has all of the signs of a player who had a career year in the right situation. Doubtful he ever scores 30 again and in 1-2 years he'll be back on the 4th line.

Avatar
#52 Serious Gord
September 04 2013, 11:20PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
VK63 wrote:

Old Arnie must need prop up pills for that one. Nasty.

Back in the day she was quite um, tappable.

Avatar
#53 StuckOutHere
September 04 2013, 11:22PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

Absolutely Good players can be redundant. Should we stock the team with just good defense men? Silly comment on its face.

As for buying him out - yes Katz gets stuck with 1/3 the salary but the gets ALL of the five million in cap - something we have virtually none of now and we have a Player - hemsky who has a skill set the oil has little to no need for. And thus the team limps into the beginning of a new season with stark deficiencies.

I'm not so sure you're right. If every one of those defensemen were Bobby Orr calibre, you could absolutely fill out a team full of Dmen, save for goal.

Also this assessment, "hemsky who has a skill set the oil has little to no need for", is ridiculous. We don't need players who are good at pushing play the other way, good at gaining the offensive zone, and setting up plays? I don't know a single hockey team that has no need for that. Not one.

Avatar
#54 Darrell
September 04 2013, 11:23PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
24
cheers
DSF wrote:

And I will wager Hemsky never puts up another season matching Hemsky's PPG.

While Clarkson, who is younger than Hemsky, scores 30 goals.

Keep on remembering 2008.

It's only 5 years ago.

DSF - what exactly do you reminisce about ? Two trips to the finals and no Cup ? We think about six SC and two trips to the finals with no Cup ..... Your pathetic!

Avatar
#55 StuckOutHere
September 04 2013, 11:27PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
30
cheers

@DSF

How many 50 pt seasons does Clarkson have?

And he got to play on a good team, while Hemsky got to play with... well...

Avatar
#56 oilerman53
September 04 2013, 11:31PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
24
cheers

David Clarkson has to be this generations Chris Simon. Its always a great story too, good ol tough kid scores 30 in the NHL, feels he can contribute more in the long run. Clarkson wants to style his play after Wendel Clarke. Yeesh this guy is really reaching for the sky, why the hell we talking about Clarkson anyways? Oh yeah DSF has yet another ramble fest about how x player trumps Oilers player.

Avatar
#57 Serious Gord
September 04 2013, 11:33PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
StuckOutHere wrote:

I'm not so sure you're right. If every one of those defensemen were Bobby Orr calibre, you could absolutely fill out a team full of Dmen, save for goal.

Also this assessment, "hemsky who has a skill set the oil has little to no need for", is ridiculous. We don't need players who are good at pushing play the other way, good at gaining the offensive zone, and setting up plays? I don't know a single hockey team that has no need for that. Not one.

Your first para is obviously in jest.

All teams need what hemsky has but the oil already has that covered quite amply. What the oil needs - what he and his 5mm$ cap hit blocks - is a player who can play fiercely and physically at a second/first line level. (Gagner is also an impediment in this regard.)

On the oil he is surplus product like having too lots of syrup at a pancake breakfast and not enough batter.

Avatar
#58 StuckOutHere
September 04 2013, 11:34PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
25
cheers
DSF wrote:

And I will wager Hemsky never puts up another season matching Hemsky's PPG.

While Clarkson, who is younger than Hemsky, scores 30 goals.

Keep on remembering 2008.

It's only 5 years ago.

pray tell, how much younger is Clarkson than Hemsky?

8 whole months? Wow.

You're the worst.

Avatar
#59 DSF
September 04 2013, 11:35PM
Trash it!
54
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

None of what happened 5 years ago means a pinch of coon kaka.

Nor does a trip to the finals 7 year ago.

Who will deliver the best value this coming season?

Anyone who think it's Hemsky needs to give their head a shake.

Avatar
#60 StuckOutHere
September 04 2013, 11:42PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

@Serious Gord

Though the first paragraph was in jest, I believe the idea still has merit to the discussion.

If you had 4 defensemen very similar in ability to a great like Orr, would you trade one of them just so you could get a Hal Gill type? Because the common hockey narrative says you need one of the those?

That's incredibly foolish in my mind.

Also, the oilers have tried to get the bigger players to to complement. Eager, Jacques, Stortini, Jones, Hartikanen, Jesse Joensuu, Brown, Hordichuck. These types of players are not the answer.

Just because Hemsky isn't valued around the league, doesn't mean he doesn't have value to this team.

Avatar
#61 OilLeak
September 04 2013, 11:42PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers
DSF wrote:

Stan Bowman's 3rd line:

Brandon Saad ($895K)-Michal Handzus ($1M)-Jimmy Hayes ($875K).

Please note that Hemsky is paid twice as much as THE ENTIRE Chicago 3rd line.

Better inform Stan Bowman so he can get his team back on track.

The original discussion in question was not the cap hit of the 3rd line, but whether good players i.e Hemsky can play on the 3rd line(checking role/Secondary offense role). Also, Hemsky's cap hit was perfectly acceptable for a top 6 forward and he is still capable of filling that role.

As for Stan Bowman's "supposed" 3rd line for the upcoming season:

Saad is still on his ELC. Handzus is 36 and may or may not be capable of still playing a 3rd line role. Jimmy Hayes is on his ELC and only played 10 games last season.

DSF please keep the conversation on track and stay focused.

Avatar
#62 Butters
September 04 2013, 11:55PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

I more worried that Brownlee knows what a "Trisha Pasnak Infiniti dress" is.

Avatar
#63 Ivan Drago
September 05 2013, 05:54AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
22
cheers

Another comments section dominated by feeding time for the troll. When will people learn.

Avatar
#64 Serious Gord
September 05 2013, 06:25AM
Trash it!
11
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
StuckOutHere wrote:

Though the first paragraph was in jest, I believe the idea still has merit to the discussion.

If you had 4 defensemen very similar in ability to a great like Orr, would you trade one of them just so you could get a Hal Gill type? Because the common hockey narrative says you need one of the those?

That's incredibly foolish in my mind.

Also, the oilers have tried to get the bigger players to to complement. Eager, Jacques, Stortini, Jones, Hartikanen, Jesse Joensuu, Brown, Hordichuck. These types of players are not the answer.

Just because Hemsky isn't valued around the league, doesn't mean he doesn't have value to this team.

Not one of the players you cite is on a third line of a good team. The oil needs 2/3 line level of fierceness/physicality.

Hemsky has negative value everywhere including here. 5$mm is far too much dough.

Avatar
#65 Serious Gord
September 05 2013, 06:28AM
Trash it!
15
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
OilLeak wrote:

The original discussion in question was not the cap hit of the 3rd line, but whether good players i.e Hemsky can play on the 3rd line(checking role/Secondary offense role). Also, Hemsky's cap hit was perfectly acceptable for a top 6 forward and he is still capable of filling that role.

As for Stan Bowman's "supposed" 3rd line for the upcoming season:

Saad is still on his ELC. Handzus is 36 and may or may not be capable of still playing a 3rd line role. Jimmy Hayes is on his ELC and only played 10 games last season.

DSF please keep the conversation on track and stay focused.

Actually mr brownlee's post had nothing to do with the topic you refer to. The comments sections on this site almost always drift hither and thither. Whether you read them or not is your business.

Avatar
#66 Spydyr
September 05 2013, 06:41AM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers

Spin pure spin.

Brownlee is right. Still it sure beats the poop out of the Souray debacle.

Let us hope he lights it up early trying for a spot at the Olympics, does not get hurt. Then he can be traded for one of the many missing pieces later in the year.

Avatar
#67 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
September 05 2013, 06:57AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
DSF wrote:

Clarkson is one hell of a player.

I'd wager he scores 30 goals in Toronto.

How many 30 goals season does Hemsky have?

edit: Ivan Drago was right in post #63.

Avatar
#68 Batfink
September 05 2013, 07:02AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
DSF wrote:

1) He is much smarter than Jay Feaster

2) He is much smarter than Kevin Lowe

3) He has a history of turning around moribund franchises in short order (VCR, ANA, TOR)

4) He wins (often by a wide margin) every trade he engineers.

5) He has no patience for being a loser.

6) He has won a Stanley Cup.

7) None of the above applies to the Oilers management team.

Now shut the hell up.

3) That's great, I still own a VCR!

6) K-Lowe has 6!! Just ask him!

And I thought it only sporting that you should say "shut the hell up" in the form of a haiku. Or you could be the limerick man.

BTW, will try to find the link, but if you you-tube brian burke fake interview, it's hilarious. Nazem effin Kadri!

Avatar
#69 They're $hittie
September 05 2013, 08:19AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
13
cheers
DSF wrote:

1) He is much smarter than Jay Feaster

2) He is much smarter than Kevin Lowe

3) He has a history of turning around moribund franchises in short order (VCR, ANA, TOR)

4) He wins (often by a wide margin) every trade he engineers.

5) He has no patience for being a loser.

6) He has won a Stanley Cup.

7) None of the above applies to the Oilers management team.

Now shut the hell up.

Your using a qualitative version of smarter. Do you know what their IQ is?

He turned around Vancouver fiscally. While he did get some pieces of the current canucks, he was not around or involved in the building of the finished product. You could practically say this about tambo in 5 years.

He inherited the team in Anaheim, and had Lowes hands tied with the Pronger situation. So in reality he did not trun Anaheim around or win a cup with them he inherited the cup and the situation.

Yes he use to win trades. Now no one trades with him anymore. So lets see how much he wins going forward.

No patients for being a loser applies to Tambo. Mac T has been on the job for 6 months. Also another stupid qualitative measurement strummed up by DSF.

Avatar
#70 Batfink
September 05 2013, 08:33AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u28I6faWuU

Found it! Start your day with a chuckle on me!

Nazem effin Kadri!

Avatar
#71 Batfink
September 05 2013, 08:53AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

Anybody read Spector's 'City of Losers' article on Sportsnet? Apart from the usual bone-headed statements, it is really quite an awful article. One sentence paragraphs? Seriously? You, sir, are a tabloid hack.

Avatar
#72 ubermiguel
September 05 2013, 08:53AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

Brownlee, never agreed more with one of your articles. The dog and pony show yesterday was the classiest way possible to handle Hemsky not getting traded. It kills all the media chatter and builds up Hemsky’s confidence going into camp. MacT must have learned by watching Tambo and Gillis how NOT to handle a player that was on his way out but doesn’t quite make it to the door.

Avatar
#73 Will
September 05 2013, 09:08AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

I am unsure how we can say Hemsky is a talented player one minute, but realize no one wanted him the next. Yes I understand cap concerns and Hemsky's contract, but if he is really as good as everyone keep saying he is, then I don't think those concerns would really matter.

As for him vs Clarkson, isn't Clarkson LW? If not then I would much rather have Clarkson on my third line over Hemsky, just not at the price he's currently getting paid.

Avatar
#74 Czar
September 05 2013, 09:14AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
18
cheers
DSF wrote:

Brian Burke poised to take over the Flames:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=431209

Be very afraid Oiler fans.

With Feaster,King and Burke calling the shots in Calgary the only ones who should be afraid are the buffet owners.

Avatar
#75 bdiddy18
September 05 2013, 09:15AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

Should the Oilers be competing by Trade Deadline Day - Hemsky would be the type of player addition you would want for a playoff push.

Kid goes from the best thing Oilers had drafted/developed through their system for a decade talent/skill wise to a persona non grata with fans. brutal!

Ales Hemsky could be the Petr Sykora of the championship Devils and later Penguins. Its a fair comparision and Sykora was no slouch of a player who got to play with more talent in his career.

Avatar
#76 Smokey
September 05 2013, 09:18AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

Haters can suck it. Hemsky was great the first part of the year and the team was a playoff team. He got hurt, and the team began to struggle and fall outta the playoff hunt. Once he was outta the line-up, Oilers could not score or win. Hemsky was intricate to the team success providing secondary scoring. Outside of the top line the other teams did not have to concentrate on the teams secondary scoring. Gagner did jack after Hemsky got hurt. Haters can hate, but facts are facts Hemsky is an important piece, and a return needs to be decent. I hope he plays out his year, we buy him a Harley to say thanks for 12 years being the only decent player we had to watch, and actually choosing Edmonton. Hemsky in my estimation is like Weight, Smyth in terms of his importance to the Oilers in his career. Lets enjoy one last year of him embarrassing X-dmen and the wish him well with another team next year.

Avatar
#77 RMGS
September 05 2013, 09:19AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers
DSF wrote:

Brian Burke poised to take over the Flames:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=431209

Be very afraid Oiler fans.

Hahahahahaha!....Hahahahahaah!....Hahaha!....

Avatar
#78 Smokey
September 05 2013, 09:24AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Batfink wrote:

Anybody read Spector's 'City of Losers' article on Sportsnet? Apart from the usual bone-headed statements, it is really quite an awful article. One sentence paragraphs? Seriously? You, sir, are a tabloid hack.

Spectors been driving me just lately. I can't listen to his show. He's better on TV. Team should do Fraser's deck or something...

Avatar
#79 TigerUnderGlass
September 05 2013, 09:25AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers
DSF wrote:

$5.0M vs. $1.35M

Is there anything else you need to know?

Is that the same 1.35M contract he signed coming off of seasons of 29, 15, and 21 points?

Let me try your system.

Remember when Stamkos scored 51 goals on a 3.725 cap hit? That's what smart GMs do.

Did I do it right?

Avatar
#80 Lochenzo
September 05 2013, 09:27AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

@ DSF: Brian Burke is not the guy you want if you are doing a complete rebuild. Burke's ego makes him too impatient for a rebuild.

Avatar
#81 RMGS
September 05 2013, 09:28AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

Robin, you admit that Hemsky is an "unquestionably talented winger," but then say that you "don't buy" that "Hemsky could be a valuable piece of the puzzle moving forward."

What do you have against the Oilers having a roster deep in good players? Why can't an "unquestionably talented winger" be a part of a successful Oilers team?

Avatar
#82 TigerUnderGlass
September 05 2013, 09:29AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers
DSF wrote:

Stan Bowman's 3rd line:

Brandon Saad ($895K)-Michal Handzus ($1M)-Jimmy Hayes ($875K).

Please note that Hemsky is paid twice as much as THE ENTIRE Chicago 3rd line.

Better inform Stan Bowman so he can get his team back on track.

2 ELCs and a 36 year old who has been in decline for a while. Got it.

Avatar
#83 TigerUnderGlass
September 05 2013, 09:30AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

Is hemsky a better physical player than clarkson. No way. Hemsky is better at somethings and worse at others. What he's good at the oil doesn't have much need.

Anaheim got a lucky break getting pronger just as the oil did. Without pronger Lowe and co would not have had a playoff game in eight years. Five cups all happened before the Berlin Wall came down save the last one.

Burke was forced out of Toronto by a meddling bell telco executive who demanded Burke trade for luongo. Who got the last laugh in that?

Good grief indeed.

Agreed. Hemsky is better at hockey and Clarkson is better at crashing into the boards.

Avatar
#84 pkam
September 05 2013, 09:32AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

Is hemsky a better physical player than clarkson. No way. Hemsky is better at somethings and worse at others. What he's good at the oil doesn't have much need.

Anaheim got a lucky break getting pronger just as the oil did. Without pronger Lowe and co would not have had a playoff game in eight years. Five cups all happened before the Berlin Wall came down save the last one.

Burke was forced out of Toronto by a meddling bell telco executive who demanded Burke trade for luongo. Who got the last laugh in that?

Good grief indeed.

Hemsky has been consistently a 70 pt player, except the last 2 years when he is having health problem.

Clarkson is a 30-40 pt player except one year. Wait until he has some health problem and we will see how well his contract becomes.

If Hemsky can bounce back to his form, his 5 million contract will be a steal compare to Clarkson's 8 year 5.25M contract.

You can say we won't make the playoff without pronger, but do you think we will make the playoff without Roloson, or Hemsky in that year. Hemsky and Roloson are the other key players that we won't make the playoff without them.

Avatar
#85 Czar
September 05 2013, 09:34AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Smokey wrote:

Spectors been driving me just lately. I can't listen to his show. He's better on TV. Team should do Fraser's deck or something...

I was surprised we didn't hear about some kind of altercation at these deck parties, after a few beers...

Avatar
#86 TigerUnderGlass
September 05 2013, 09:36AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

Not one of the players you cite is on a third line of a good team. The oil needs 2/3 line level of fierceness/physicality.

Hemsky has negative value everywhere including here. 5$mm is far too much dough.

I don't think "negative value" means what you think it means.

Avatar
#87 Serious Gord
September 05 2013, 09:48AM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
TigerUnderGlass wrote:

I don't think "negative value" means what you think it means.

To me it means he and his 5$mm salary/cap hit are a net drag on the team. IOW the team would be better off if it had the five million and hemsky was gone.

What praytell does it mean to you?

Avatar
#88 Serious Gord
September 05 2013, 09:53AM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
pkam wrote:

Hemsky has been consistently a 70 pt player, except the last 2 years when he is having health problem.

Clarkson is a 30-40 pt player except one year. Wait until he has some health problem and we will see how well his contract becomes.

If Hemsky can bounce back to his form, his 5 million contract will be a steal compare to Clarkson's 8 year 5.25M contract.

You can say we won't make the playoff without pronger, but do you think we will make the playoff without Roloson, or Hemsky in that year. Hemsky and Roloson are the other key players that we won't make the playoff without them.

It isn't all about points. Clarkson has a physical dimension that is non existent with hemsky (which is why MacT tried to get him)

Eight freaking years ago hemsky was a vastly better Player than he is now and the team had a huge dearth of scoring talent. It is completely different today.

Avatar
#89 Dangilitis
September 05 2013, 10:01AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers
DSF wrote:

None of what happened 5 years ago means a pinch of coon kaka.

Nor does a trip to the finals 7 year ago.

Who will deliver the best value this coming season?

Anyone who think it's Hemsky needs to give their head a shake.

DSF, same deal as before - you never seem to take these up, though, for some strange reason...

Here's the bet

Hemsky outscores Clarkson this year (total points, straight up). If Hemsky does it, you stop posting on this blog immediately. If Clarkson outscores Hemsky (hahaha), I will post on here that DSF is king and applaud every one of your assinine comments for eternity.

No, I am serious. We all hate you and want you to stop posting utter bullsh*t, but this is your chance to prove your "knowledge". I am proposing this bet and challenging you to actually back one of your ignorant comments.

May the best man win....

Avatar
#90 pkam
September 05 2013, 10:04AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Will wrote:

I am unsure how we can say Hemsky is a talented player one minute, but realize no one wanted him the next. Yes I understand cap concerns and Hemsky's contract, but if he is really as good as everyone keep saying he is, then I don't think those concerns would really matter.

As for him vs Clarkson, isn't Clarkson LW? If not then I would much rather have Clarkson on my third line over Hemsky, just not at the price he's currently getting paid.

Hemsky has been having health problem lately.

He had a shoulder injury and needed a surgery in 2009-10 after a great start of 22 pts in 22 games.

He came back very strong in 2010-11 but needed another shoulder surgery after 47 games.

Seems like his recovery after the 2nd surgery was going too good and he was unable to start the 2011-12 on time and was struggling after his return. He did finish the season strong and that was why the management signed him to the 2 year 5 million contract expecting him to return to his ppg performance.

Last year, he has a better start than the year before but broke his foot blocking shot.

Clarkson has been pretty healthy and yet he never scored more than 40 pts except one year. What will happen if he starts to hit the injury bug?

If you ask me to pick Hemsky at 5.0M or Clarkson at 5.25M, I'll pick Hemsky over Clarkson any day. The only problem with Hemsky is can he get healthy and back to his 70+ pt per 82 game. If he can, 5.0M is a steal in today's market. With Clarkson, it will be a good year if he scores 50 pts.

Avatar
#91 pkam
September 05 2013, 10:11AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

It isn't all about points. Clarkson has a physical dimension that is non existent with hemsky (which is why MacT tried to get him)

Eight freaking years ago hemsky was a vastly better Player than he is now and the team had a huge dearth of scoring talent. It is completely different today.

Clarkson is a better version of Jones.

I understand how he fits better into our roster need than Hemsky, but 5.25M for 8 years is a very risky commitment, much worse than the 5.0M 2 years we commit on Hemsky.

Jones had been great for us for 2 years and what happened last year after an eye injury? Wait until Clarkson has some health problem which is almost a guarantee for physical players.

Avatar
#92 Spydyr
September 05 2013, 10:18AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Dangilitis wrote:

DSF, same deal as before - you never seem to take these up, though, for some strange reason...

Here's the bet

Hemsky outscores Clarkson this year (total points, straight up). If Hemsky does it, you stop posting on this blog immediately. If Clarkson outscores Hemsky (hahaha), I will post on here that DSF is king and applaud every one of your assinine comments for eternity.

No, I am serious. We all hate you and want you to stop posting utter bullsh*t, but this is your chance to prove your "knowledge". I am proposing this bet and challenging you to actually back one of your ignorant comments.

May the best man win....

Brave bet. When was the last time Hemmer played a full season?

Hemmer wins hands down if he stays healthy, he will want to be at the Olympics so expect a fast start from him.

The big question can he still play 82 games?

Avatar
#93 shanetrain
September 05 2013, 10:30AM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

As far as I am concerned this is all moot.

We should have traded Hemsky 4 years ago when he was worth something valuable.

Now?

Stuck with him.

No way does he thrive with the kids eating his minutes.

Sulk, sulk, odd brilliant moment, injury.

Avatar
#94 shanetrain
September 05 2013, 10:33AM
Trash it!
11
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

You better hope DSF doesn't take the bet.

Avatar
#95 pkam
September 05 2013, 10:34AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Spydyr wrote:

Brave bet. When was the last time Hemmer played a full season?

Hemmer wins hands down if he stays healthy, he will want to be at the Olympics so expect a fast start from him.

The big question can he still play 82 games?

Can Hemsky play a full season again? Nobody knows. You have to gamble. With a 5.0M 2 years contract, if you win, you win big, if you lose, you lose little.

Hall couldn't finish 82 games his first 2 years, and he couldn't start the season on time last year, should we assume he can never play 82 games?

And the same with RNH too. He only played 62 games his 1st year and he has to finish early last year for his surgery and probably will miss the first month this year. He probably won't be able to play 82 games for his whole career.

Do you know if Clarkson will play 82 games for all the 8 years in his contract?

Avatar
#96 Rama Lama
September 05 2013, 10:38AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

Props to MacT for turning the Hemsky thing into something positive..........turning lemons into lemonaide.

I cant help but wonder just how difficult Mac T has made Eakins job now with all the additions. Exactly where will all the role players play? We have enough one way contracts to field six lines?

I guess it's a nice problem to have if you are a GM........but a coach?

Avatar
#97 pkam
September 05 2013, 10:39AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
DSF wrote:

$5.0M vs. $1.35M

Is there anything else you need to know?

You are comparing apple to orange.

If you want to compare Hemsky to a Canucks player, there is Booth. Both are getting similar salary, both are having health problem lately.

If you want to compare Hansen to an Oilers, it should be Jones. Similar role, similar production, similar salary.

Oh yes, 4.2M vs 1.5M. Is there anything else you want to tell us?

Avatar
#98 Spydyr
September 05 2013, 10:47AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
pkam wrote:

Can Hemsky play a full season again? Nobody knows. You have to gamble. With a 5.0M 2 years contract, if you win, you win big, if you lose, you lose little.

Hall couldn't finish 82 games his first 2 years, and he couldn't start the season on time last year, should we assume he can never play 82 games?

And the same with RNH too. He only played 62 games his 1st year and he has to finish early last year for his surgery and probably will miss the first month this year. He probably won't be able to play 82 games for his whole career.

Do you know if Clarkson will play 82 games for all the 8 years in his contract?

You do understand the bet was for this season?

Not the next eight seasons.

The only way Hemmer does not outscore Clarkson is an injury to Hemmer. With Hemmer's injury record that is a real possibility.

My question is outside of points who will help his team more?

Avatar
#99 L. Cholak
September 05 2013, 10:51AM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Robin....I have admired your writing style and command of the English language for a long time. However, I was amazed that in the quote below you use the subject "I" when 'me' was required. The verb 'told' requires an object. Keep up the good job.

As assistant coach Steve Smith told Jason Gregor and I today, Anton Belov is having some problems with his visa and delays will see him miss the start of training camp. Right now, we don’t have any more details than that, as in when he'll arrive, but not a good start for the 27-year-old Russian.

Avatar
#100 pkam
September 05 2013, 11:03AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Spydyr wrote:

You do understand the bet was for this season?

Not the next eight seasons.

The only way Hemmer does not outscore Clarkson is an injury to Hemmer. With Hemmer's injury record that is a real possibility.

My question is outside of points who will help his team more?

So are you telling me that you sign a player to 8 years and you only need him to perform for one year?

Hemsky only have health problem for 2 years, 09-10 and 10-11. He was doing great at the end of 11-12.

He played for Czech in WC that same year and was the top scorer for the Czech team, ahead of Thomas Plekanec, David Krejci, and Milan Michalek.

He started well this season and broke his foot blocking shot, which has nothing to do with his shoulder anymore.

Do I expect him to have a good year? My answer is same expectation I have with RNH.

I understand we have 3 top 6 RW and one of them will be moved eventually and Hemsky is most likely the odd man out. But to say he has no value or worse than Clarkson is just stupid.

Comments are closed for this article.