TRAINING CAMP SHOULD HELP THE OILERS

Jason Gregor
September 06 2013 10:42AM

That was the Oilers 2012/2013 depth chart heading into an abbreviated training camp last January. Fast forward nine months, and you'll notice that 11 of those players won't be on the ice next Thursday when the Oilers open their 2013/2014 training camp.

There will also be a new head coach running a new system, but unlike last year when Ralph Krueger took over, Dallas Eakins will have the luxury of a complete training camp and preseason schedule to implement his system.

We can debate whether Krueger had a good system or not, however, it was obvious he had a major disadvantage coming in as a new coach with a new system and very little time to teach it .

Eakins and his coaching staff will have 19 days, 12 practice days and 7 game days, to ensure the players understand his system, and most importantly, know how to execute it. Not every player will be 100% comfortable with the system when the puck drops on October 1st, but they should be much more comfortable than they were last season.

Assistant coach, Steve Smith, lives in Chicago during the off-season and he lives six doors down from Joel Quenneville. He begrudgingly had to witness many parties and celebrations this summer, but he has also had a chance to talk hockey with the two-time Cup winning coach.

Smith related a story to me on my radio show this week about systems, and how Quenneville felt the Hawks had a big advantage last season because they've played the same system for six straight seasons. He felt his team was very comfortable from the start of the season, while other teams either had numerous new faces or a new coaching staff to deal with.

The Hawks started the season 21-0-3, so Quenneville might be on to something. The Hawks won more games in the first half of the season than the Oilers did all year, 19. I'm sure knowing the system inside and out gave the Hawks an advantage, but they also had a plethora of proven, skilled players.

Conversely, the Oilers had a young team with a new coach and tried to learn a new system. With an abbreviated training camp the Oilers had do to most of their teaching over video, rather than on the ice, and by the end of the season some players still didn't have a complete grasp of the system.

Some players are quick learners while others need more time to fully capture all the nuances of a system, but this year that shouldn't be as much of an issue. Some players are visual learners, while others need to repeat it over and over again until they comprehend a system.

During the interview on my radio show, Smith gave a quick overview of the new defensive zone system/coverage.

Defensively, we are going to play more of a swarm system where we are going to have some players helping each other out. We are going to two-on-one guys in the defensive zone more often than not. It will help not only our defencemen, but also our young, skilled, not very strong centremen to have opportunities to play better defensively. It becomes a real team concept more than just about the defencemen.

Quite frankly, I think our defencemen battled hard and worked hard last year, and I think this little extra bit of support in our system will really help them along the way.

Everyone, including the coaching staff, knows the Oilers aren't blessed with big, strong centres, but that doesn't mean they can't be successful. It is up to the coaches to employ a system that can overcome, or at least limit a team's weaknesses in their own zone.

The Oilers have great team speed, so rather than try to play a zone defence, or man-to-man where you rely on your players to win lots of one-on-one battles, it makes sense that Eakins will unveil his swarm defence system.

The key is ensuring the players understand the system, believe in it and are willing to apply it.

The preseason games will give us a glimpse of how the system works, and most importantly which players excel using it.

PARTING SHOTS....

• I understand it is only one game, but after watching Andrew Miller last night, I'd take him out of the running for the 4th line centre spot on the Oilers. He'll need some AHL seasoning before he's ready to compete for an NHL job. Like most guys coming out of college, the jump to the NHL is a major one, and if he can't dominate in a rookie game, he isn't going to be able to compete against NHLers, at least not yet. That doesn't mean he's a bad player, he just will need some time to adjust to the pro game, before making a serious run at the NHL.

• I also wouldn't get too wrapped up in Darnell Nurse's performance. Regardless of how he plays this weekend, or at main camp he is going back to junior, and I'd argue he'll be going back to junior next fall as well. The Oilers do not need to rush him. Oscar Klefbom is two years older, and he's played against men the past few seasons. He is the young D-man who will push to make the big club.

• This could be a huge year for Martin Marincin. He should play top minutes in the AHL, in every situation, and if he has a solid campaign I could see him competing for a 3rd pairing slot next season.

• Until David Musil improves his footspeed, I don't see him being a legitimate candidate to make the Oilers. He's strong as an ox, but he needs to get quicker. He's still very young, but that will be his biggest challenge.

•  Greg Chase, 7th round pick in 2013, could have a very solid year with the Calgary Hitmen. He scored 17 goals and 49 points with limited PP time as a 17-year-old last year, but this year he'll get way more offensive opportunities. He has decent hands, but he also is a great agitator. If he can produce points and annoy the opposition, he could have a future in Edmonton in a few years. They don't have anyone in the organization with decent skill who can also agitate and play with an edge.

RECENTLY BY JASON GREGOR

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#1 Serious Gord
September 06 2013, 11:22AM

I see three more names that shouldn't be in that chart today either...

#2 Rama Lama
September 06 2013, 12:23PM

All hail Jughir........he will be the next Mark Messier !

#3 Benny Botts
September 06 2013, 01:35PM
Rama Lama wrote:

All hail Jughir........he will be the next Mark Messier !

I wish I could click the trash buttons a few times on this comment...

#4 yawto
September 06 2013, 10:49AM

Welcome to the group that should start the first of a string of consecutive playoff appearances instead of 7 in a row out. Can't wait for the fist of October.

#5 Fresh Mess
September 06 2013, 11:11AM

Musil needs another year in Junior. Klefbom needs a full year in the AHL.

#6 OilClog
September 06 2013, 11:50AM

The biggest disappointment in all of this.. those missing Russians in this tournament. IMO those three young soviets would of dominated this rookie challenge.. Yet, it is a chance for the Oilers to visibly see the dead weight they need to cut ties with..

on a side note : Steve House(Ales Hemsky) is an all world heart, drive, determined, fearless skilled, hardworking, all around great hockey player. I for one, am very glad he's still in Oiler Silks. Suck it MSM.

#7 David S
September 06 2013, 12:08PM

I suggest we deploy a "swarm defence" whenever DSF shows up.

#8 pkam
September 06 2013, 01:06PM
dougtheslug wrote:

A lower case, less classy Avery

Okay, my mistake. My apology to Avery for putting him and DSF in the same class.

#9 Benny Botts
September 06 2013, 01:14PM

@Gregor

Jason do you know when the oilers are going to release their camp list?

#10 OilW30
September 06 2013, 11:16AM

Didn't Eakins say in an interview that he would use multiple systems? How does that square with the idea of playing the same system year-over-year?

#11 Greg Steinke
September 06 2013, 12:33PM

@Fresh Mess

I think that is a premature assessment.

From what I understand there was no preparation for this game by Todd Nelson. There were no practices and no opportunities for the players to really work together prior to the game. Hockey is a team game. Individual players can't excel unless they have time to find chemistry as a team and understand how each other work. It's within that setting that you see the true hockey skills of each player. Otherwise it's really hard to work together having no idea what each other is thinking whether its defensively or offensively. The Calgary team looked more practiced in that regard. They seemed to have a plan on the powerplay whereas the Oiler prospects looked lost. I am disappointed that Todd Nelson didn't give any practice time to his players for a few days before the game. They would have had a much better debut and a much better opportunity to put their best foot forward. Instead Todd Nelson made his rookie prospects look worse and less accomplished than they are. This is especially disappointing because of all the hard work many of the players put in during the summer to be in good shape.

I hope to see a few more games before I make any judgments on these players, not that my assessment matters that much.

#12 pkam
September 06 2013, 12:40PM
David S wrote:

I suggest we deploy a "swarm defence" whenever DSF shows up.

We don't have to defend DSF. He is not a scoring thread.

He is just a pest who is best at agitating the opponents and will not stand up upon any challenges. Reminds me of Avery.

#13 dougtheslug
September 06 2013, 12:52PM
pkam wrote:

We don't have to defend DSF. He is not a scoring thread.

A lower case, less classy Avery

#14 Kosmo Kraemer
September 06 2013, 11:28AM

I just can't believe how a lot of posters here are getting so out of shape over the first exhibition game of the season determined to set their roster based on last night's game. Good thing we have a decent length of a training camp this year as well as some exhibition games. After that then we can get excited.

#15 Czar
September 06 2013, 12:55PM

@pkam

Matt Cooke or Ulf Samuelson come to mind as well.

#16 Ivan Drago
September 06 2013, 11:31AM

I liked Chase, Roy, Marincin and Khaira's game last night. I'm excited to watch and hear about these guys development. Nurse was raw, which is fine right now and Oscar looked rusty, which should be expected also.

Losing to the flames in any capacity is annoying, reading all their comments after one rookie game was amusing though, because they have no idea how painful their rebuild will be. And it's just starting. Burke is not a savior, his ego will only prolong it.

#18 justDOit
September 06 2013, 12:51PM

@Greg Steinke

It's my understanding that none of the teams had a chance to practice before last night. It was just a result of the schedules and travel. To assUme that Nelson was merely making a decision to not practice before this game is absurd.

I do, however, agree with your last statement.

#19 Peter
September 06 2013, 01:06PM

@dougtheslug

The girlfriend passed on a rather interesting article from a gossip blog she reads about Avery. It was interesting what was being speculated there to say the least.

#20 Rama Lama
September 06 2013, 02:08PM
Benny Botts wrote:

I wish I could click the trash buttons a few times on this comment...

Benny......why do you have to be like that?

#21 pkam
September 06 2013, 03:39PM
Ivan Drago wrote:

I doubt their rebuild will take as long and as painful as ours.

They have a farm team with more promising prospects to kick start their rebuild than what we had in 2010. After our big 3 making the big team, the only promising prospect we have in our farm is Petry. Now we look back, the only prospect we have in our farm drafted before 2010 is Lander. We were rebuilding our big team and building our farm team at the same time.

They had 3 1st round picks in a very deep draft year to kick start their rebuild. Monahan can easily be top 3 picks in 2010 - 2012. And a 22nd and 28th this year can be equivalent to a late pick in the top 10 and mid teen in those years.

Even after trading away Iglina and JayBo, the leftover is still better than what we had before our fire sale at 2010.

#22 Archaeologuy
September 06 2013, 11:13AM

Quick off the top for me, I would not be playing Yak on the LW anymore. He's so much more effective as a RW. It's night and day.

Starting training camp from the right side and presumably playing the whole season there, I think will be a great benefit to him.

#23 vetinari
September 06 2013, 11:14AM

Wow. Looking at the old lineup you can see that most of the axe fell on the bottom 6 forwards, bottom 4 defencemen and Khabibulin-- all of which needed to be dealt with.

Hopefully the new faces can contribute a bit more than the other guys, which frankly shouldn't be too hard to do.

As for the rookie game last night, most of the team looked either uncomfortable playing together or just plain disorganized which should not be entirely unexpected. Aside from Klefbom and maybe Marincin, I wouldn't expect any rookies to make the big club roster at any point this year.

#24 Romanus
September 06 2013, 01:01PM
OilW30 wrote:

We can only hope one of those systems is the New Age System. :)

#25 WhattaMike
September 06 2013, 01:53PM

IMO, concerning the first game with no practicing yet....The kids did what was expected of them...they did play eratic, ugly, tentatively, and without chemistry for the most part.

That being siad, I thought the best kids were Khaira, Ewanyk, Marancin, Chase, Roy. Nurse and Klefbom showed they are definitely raw and/or with rust. Nurse showed great talent within him but he is a fresh rookie even at this level while Klefbom has not played in any type game for 11 months and even then I bet he was conscientious about his shoulder a lot.

But anyone knowing hockey can see that the excellent skills are there with all these future NHL playing young guys. Bunz, though, is still a good size question mark even though he made some excellent saves while I did also liked Bilcke for his toughness. Kessy was not what I thought he can be as yet.

Most importantly though is that this is the very first game of any type and final judgments can wait for another week or two to three.

Eakins? I see a very smart tough new coach who will look squarely and specifically at every player he sees during training camp, be it forwards, defencemen, and goalies. He will be a hardcase and demanding but not obsessive.

I know he has a better team to coach/work with than Krueger or Renney had...with the changes MacT has made thus far. What I think is that he will use/apply his system(s) better than Renney or Krueger did/tried to...and I believe this is the guy to get the Oilers to the playoffs...even this year (projection is 7th to 8th in conference.

Bring on Game 2 for the Oilers of the Rookies tourney!!!!! Let's beat those rookies of the Jets!!!!

#26 HardBoiledOil
September 06 2013, 02:01PM

I loved the Greg Chase pick, i just don't know why the Oil waited so long to pick him? i'd have picked him easily over Muir and Campbell, who'd likely have still been there by the 6th and 7th rounds....but even if they weren't, who cares? And the reason the Oilers don't have many agitators is that they don't take them when the opportunity is there! case in point? the Slepyshev pick when J.C. Lipon was still on the board. even taking Platzer when big, tougher center Matt Buckles was on the board.

#27 MessyEH!
September 06 2013, 02:13PM
Serious Gord wrote:

I see three more names that shouldn't be in that chart today either...

Serious Gord

You are hard to take seriously.

That is all.

#28 Ivan Drago
September 06 2013, 01:18PM
Peter wrote:

Would you be referring to the one which says he is gay and engaged now? I also read that, but it wouldn't surprise me.

#31 Will
September 06 2013, 01:42PM

I think we need to impose a date by which Oiler fans are allowed to either call the season and the team a complete failure, or book the playoffs. Every year it seems we push strong out of the gate and begin crying playoffs for sure, but it's always premature. I think one month outta do it. Until then my hopes are not going to get neither high nor low.

They especially won't be dashed by a single rookie prospectus game, especially since not a single player in this tournament currently occupies a roster spot in the big club. I now we all hope one day Klefbomb, Marincin, and Nurse will be the cornerstones that anchor the blue line, but not gelling well in a rookie prospectus tournament has not dashed my hopes.

If anything, hearing about Greg Chase and Kuriha has got my hopes up that our forward prospect cupboard isn't quite as bare as it was made out to be. Here's hoping they can continue to develop and we get some size and skill in our forward prospect pool to take over our third line one day.

#32 pkam
September 06 2013, 01:53PM

I thought both Lander and Vendevelde were in the training camp but Lander stayed in Edmonton and Vendevelde was sent down to OKC when the season started. Did my memory fail me?

#33 Benny Botts
September 06 2013, 02:24PM
Rama Lama wrote:

Benny......why do you have to be like that?

Your absolutley right! It is positive friday after all!

#34 Rama Lama
September 06 2013, 04:27PM
Larry wrote:

I remember the first time I ate mushrooms...

Like I said.........just dreaming , I'm an Oiler fan living in Calgary, I need to dream.

#35 Benny Botts
September 06 2013, 01:14PM

@Gregor

Jason do you know when the oilers are going to release their camp list?

#36 Peter
September 06 2013, 01:27PM

@Ivan Drago

That would be the one, yep. It doesn't surprise me either really, I mean the guy did quit hockey to become a fashion correspondant on tv. Not that it matters really, but I had to laugh what with his comments about Elisha Cuthbert and Phaneuf and the attention it got.

Gregor, thanks for letting us know about the camp list. Hopefully they will air those games online as well. It's always interesting to see the chemestry develop with the new people coming in.

#37 Benny Botts
September 06 2013, 01:33PM
Jason Gregor wrote:

Monday or Tuesday...

Do you think MacT invites anybody on a PTO? I know he said in a recent interview he was trying. But it doesn't look like there has been any luck on that front.

#38 Fresh Mess
September 06 2013, 02:37PM

@Greg Steinke

Uh, okay. Not sure what your statement has to do with my comment, but sure.

Still, Klefbom needs time in the AHL, and Musil could use more time in junior.

#39 The poster formerly known as Koolaid drinker #33
September 06 2013, 02:57PM

This is the best hockey site in the world. Where else can you talk hockey with Kosmo Kramer and Ivan Drago. Now if Lee Majors ever shows up here, that would be something.

Can't wait for the season to start! The sucking is done, it's time to compete. Lets go Oilers!

#40 Rama Lama
September 06 2013, 03:29PM
Benny Botts wrote:

Your absolutley right! It is positive friday after all!

Thats better..........I'm just a dreamer , dreaming my life away..........like Ozzy said.

Also trying to contain my excitement for the upcoming season, and admittedly over the top in anticipation for what the season holds.

#41 Larry
September 06 2013, 03:49PM
Rama Lama wrote:

All hail Jughir........he will be the next Mark Messier !

I remember the first time I ate mushrooms...

#42 Larry
September 06 2013, 04:37PM
Rama Lama wrote:

Me too!! Oil fan in Calgary since 84' but I'm as excited as I've ever been for this year!!

#43 Ivan Drago
September 06 2013, 06:50PM
pkam wrote:

I doubt their rebuild will take as long and as painful as ours.

I must break you

#44 oilbaron
September 07 2013, 11:36AM

Jujhar!!

Seriously I wouldn't underrate this guy, he is gonna be a horse and he's good on the puck. Can take it to the net, just needs to expand his game and fill out.

I predict the Oilers start this season wobbly but shore up before halfway and fly into the playoffs. Hopefully 2nd round exit?

Mantra for next off-season in oil country:

"We tasted it but now we want the cup"

footnote:

anyone else excited that Luongo is the full time backup for Van this year? I have a feeling the Oilers have his number... I suspect Edmonton finishes ahead of the sharks and canucks