CAMP PRIMER: THE WAY I SEE IT

Robin Brownlee
September 09 2013 08:06PM

Aside from when, exactly, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins will be ready to return to action from shoulder surgery, there isn’t a whole of intrigue to contemplate going into 2013 edition of training camp for the Edmonton Oilers, is there?

Really, aside from the exact date RNH is ready to roll, be it in the pre-season or once the Oilers start playing for points, Edmonton's roster looks pretty set from where I sit, give or take a few spots on the line-up card of new coach Dallas Eakins.

For me, the questions aren't so much about who the pieces will be on the 2013-14 edition of the Oilers, but how Eakins will put those pieces together in the form of forward lines, defense pairings and special teams.

We'll see about that through the pre-season schedule, of course, but as far as the roster goes, I think I can pretty much pick it right now – and so can you. Please tell me if I'm wrong. I'm sure you will.

HOW IT LOOKS TO ME

Assuming Eakins chooses to open with 13 forwards, I see 11 of those spots already filled by Nugent-Hopkins, Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, Nail Yakupov, Sam Gagner, Ales Hemsky, Ryan Jones, David Perron, Ryan Smyth, Boyd Gordon and Mike Brown.

The last two spots will be contested by Ben Eager, Will Acton, who has a bit of an inside track because he's familiar to Eakins and associate coach Keith Acton, his father, Anton Lander and Jesse Joensuu. There's another spot there to start the season, of course, if RNH isn’t ready to go.

If Eakins goes with eight defensemen, I expect the first six – stop the presses – to be Andrew Ference, Ladislav Smid, Justin Schultz, Jeff Petry, Nick Schultz and reclamation project Denis Grebeshkov. Oscar Klefbom, given his SEL experience, is the best bet to grab the seventh spot and could push for a spot in the third pairing, platooning with Grebeshkov.

Beyond Klefbom, I think it's a stretch to expect Anton Belov, who'll miss the start of camp because of visa problems, or Taylor Fedun to push for a roster spot for opening night Oct. 1. Corey Potter is the most likely insurance policy, and the most experienced, outside the top six.

Goal? There is nobody in camp capable of pushing Devan Dubnyk and Jason LaBarbera for the starting and cheerleading (aside from 15-17 games) spots.

FROM THE INSIDE (OR NOT)

For what it's worth, the Oilers website staff has the following depth chart posted (with a caveat at the top the chart is unofficial) as of right now. By position and in order, it reads as follows:

• LW – Hall, Perron, Jones, Smyth.
  • C – RNH, Gagner, Gordon, Lander.
  • RW – Eberle, Yakupov, Hemsky, Brown.
  • LD – Smid, Ference, N. Schultz, Belov.
  • RD – Petry, J. Schultz, Potter, Philip Larsen, Grebeshkov.
  • G – Dubnyk, LaBarbera.

A FEW QUESTIONS

Jason Gregor posed seven questions in an item he posted earlier today. I have a few of my own, although they're a bit more frivolous than his.

• 1. On what date will Eakins expose Wanye to untold ridicule for his story that Gagner will be named the next captain by announcing that Ference will wear the C this season?
  • 2. Will Yakupov begin this season on the same torrid pace he ended his rookie campaign? More important, which team will be the first to piss and moan about one of this 25 goal celebrations this season?
  • 3. How many minutes into his first game will Grebeshkov have a monumental brain fart in his own end that has fans recalling the reasons the Oilers bid farewell to him in the first place?
  • 4. Ken Hitchcock had his hands full with the talented Perron in St. Louis in terms of getting him to play within the system he wanted. If Hitch couldn’t do it, what makes Eakins think he can?
  • 5. Will Hemsky script an epic SIUTBOHC in a third-line role to start the season or will reporters be scribbling "Hemsky Wants Out" pieces six weeks into the season? Both?
  • 6. How many points for Justin Schultz this season? And, after running out of gas during his rookie campaign, can he play the point on both power play units this season?
  • 7. Playoffs this season? After last season's spasm of optimism, mark me down for a definite "no."

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#2 Robin Brownlee
September 09 2013, 10:07PM
OilClog wrote:

Well, then I'll take your view of the team as I would a Canucks fan then, thanks for clearing that up.

So sorry sir, cheer for who you wish

You don't like disagreements much do you?

I'll take your sarcastic refusal to straighten out after I warned you as an indication you no longer care to post comments here. Done.

Disagreement and disrespect are two different matters.

#3 Robin Brownlee
September 09 2013, 09:50PM
OilClog wrote:

You're just the most darn tootin' optimistic person to ever! covering the Oilers aren't you ;)

I see this team finishing 10-11th if all the wildcards, Eakins, MacT.. Fail to do a damn thing. Like Come on.. Hanging on for 10-11th.. LIKE COME ON MAN! Lets just completely Deny Taylor Hall's emergence, Eb's steady presence.. and everything else that has been taking the right progressive steps forward.. You think this team will do no better, with Whitney no longer patrolling the rear guard in a Captain Hook like way... RIDICULOUS! 10-11th.. Turn in your Oiler badge and go cheer Feaster on.

Good Grief.

A couple of things . . .

-- I don't have an Oiler badge to turn in.

-- Don't tell me to cheer for anybody.

-- One more time: stow the "Good Grief" bit and, while I'm at it, the tone you're directing my way or you won't be posting here again. Understand?

#4 StHenriOilBomb
September 10 2013, 09:31AM

I don't know about the rest of y'all, but I love seeing RB put posters in their place. He may go overboard kicking people off for minor infractions, but he's pretty damn witty and I find it quite funny when he slams posters for idiotic ideas and/or specious information.

Keep it up, RB!

#5 Quicksilver ballet
September 09 2013, 08:53PM

Hope to see the Eberle to the middle experiment happen at some point this season. Probably won't happen till after the hopes of this season have long faded.

Eberle from day 1 in the middle makes more sense than plucking the only dominant left winger this team has from his post. Hard to imagine that left side if Hall moves into the middle.

Oilers will be in great shape this season with their new rookie coach at the helm. If Eakins "guys" come in and perform like career AHL'ers, this could be over sooner rather then later. The fittest 25th place team in recent memory as the infinibuild years take hold.

#6 Hauk15
September 09 2013, 09:15PM

Anyone other than me hate the idea of having Omark back? Omark sucks. I'd give big Jesse Joensuu a roster spot before Omark.

#7 Puritania
September 09 2013, 10:34PM
OilClog wrote:

So sorry sir, cheer for who you wish

You don't like disagreements much do you?

Reuben and Willis aren't Oiler fans, they are professional writers. I'll take their objectivity over rose coloured goggle wearing, cheer leading any day. To equate their pieces with Nuck fan homers is laughable.

#9 Robin Brownlee
September 09 2013, 09:45PM
OilClog wrote:

Grebs over Belov? Aside from the Visa issue, not a chance of that happening. Or are we going to completely ignore Belov being the dominate player..

Good Grief

Contrary to the inside information you must have, there is a chance of Grebeshkov starting the season ahead of Belov because MacTavish wanted him back (even though I don't see the attraction). If Grebeshkov struggles to regain NHL form (and I think he might) then Belov could be in the mix before the end of October.

And skip the "Good Grief" bit at anything you direct at me.

#10 Quicksilver ballet
September 09 2013, 10:16PM

I'll also have some of what Woodguy is on.

C'mon big guy, don't be holding out on us now.

#11 David S
September 10 2013, 08:33AM
Ivan Drago wrote:

I absolutely agree personal remarks shouldn't be allowed. However, I have personally seen you dish a cpl out. As for sarcasm, it's done between posters on here all the time, shouldn't be an issue. Sarcasm is also easy to misinterpret in text format.

As a newspaper columnist, people couldn't reply to you personally if they disagreed with your column. On a blog they can, imo you don't handle it well. However this is simply my opinion, if you ban me or erase my post for expressing it, then that's all the proof needed.

You can always try Hockeybuzz or HF Boards. ~I hear those are quality reads.~

*puts finger in mouth*

#12 Quicksilver ballet
September 09 2013, 09:46PM

@OilClog

Well, there goes any chance of you winning the highly sought after the 11 x 14 autographed Rueben Bronte framed photo.....

Was it worth it bud......and trashing his comment, you're now more than likely responsible for shattering his confidence.

#13 OilClog
September 09 2013, 10:05PM
Craig1981 wrote:

You actually think youtube highlights are a good way to judge a players?!?! I got some robbie schremp, and Linus omark clips that clearly show just a highlight reel isn't indicative of a player's nhl quality. I also have some Roman Cervanka stats (omark stats as well) that show khl stats don't translate all the time. I'm not saying he is a bust, but just not a for sure.

Linus Omark has already put up points in the NHL, successfully. And I have watched him many times, left wondering why he was scratched or benched.. when he was at various points.. one of the only players we had that could move the puck in the right FREAKING DIRECTION!! what do you watch exactly? or when Omark has played.. do you shut your mind off and walk into walls until they say a nice quality north american name.. Ryan Jones..

#15 pkam
September 10 2013, 12:32PM

With RNH out for at least a month and reading the contract negotiation of Kadri, I wonder if the Oilers should offer sheet Kadri.

I believe Kadri would be an adequate top 6 centre and worth gamble the 1st and 3rd round pick. 7.5M 2 year would put a lot of pressure on the Leafs. At the moment we have 24 players and 1.35M cap space left. We should be able to save at least 2M cap space from cutting 2 players and RNH LTIR will save a little more cap space to make up the 3.75M.

The immediate benefit is this addresses our need in centre when RNH is out. It will also add depth to our weak centre position. We will have 3 very good scoring line when RNH returns.

And we have more option moving forward with 3 top 6 centres. If we choose to trade any one of them away, I believe the return will be more than the 1st and 3rd round pick we give up for him.

What is your thought?

#16 Oilers G- Nations Poet Laureate
September 09 2013, 10:34PM

And the wrath of Bronte is felt by a noob poster once again.

#17 Oilers42
September 09 2013, 08:31PM

Instead of hall playing centre I would get Perron to play centre Hall-Gagner-Yak Omark-Perron-Eberle

#19 DieHard
September 10 2013, 10:47AM

I agree with RB. Ending a snide comment with a "good grief" is pushing the envelop. Way too DSFish which just stinks.

#20 Serious Gord
September 09 2013, 10:40PM

Looking at the roster prediction I wonder if there is another team less physically imposing?

Could be a very long season.

#21 French Toast Mafia
September 10 2013, 10:32AM

We are now bashing writers for not spinning everything positively?

I am just as big a Oil fan as anyone but I'm not going to go the Flames fan route and say my favourite team is one player away from hoisting the cup.

This team still has big question marks on left wing, top 2d, and absolutely zero center depth. Because RB sees these holes and thinks the Oil won't make the playoffs he is a Nucks fan or a bad writer? cmon now, what happened to all these knowledgable Oilers fans?

I definitely like the Perron move and bringing in multiple guys on the back end to compete for jobs but I just don't see the Oil having a good enough forward group to compete with Anaheim, San Jose, LA, and Vancouver.

These statements, by the way, don't make me any less of an Oilers fan........

#22 OilClog
September 09 2013, 10:02PM
Craig1981 wrote:

Well when his youtube plays cover a very wide selection of different aspects of the game, instead of a couple fancy puck moves.. and the fact that you can watch freaking full games!!

Then lets again forget all the damn glowing gushing media reports about the guy! Jeebus.

#23 Spydyr
September 10 2013, 10:18AM

My two cents:

The Hall's point total drops a bit this year but he becomes a more complete player.

Nuge has a slow start when he gets back.

Yak scores even more points but struggles without the puck and in his own end.

Smyth starts good but burns out after a couple months.

Gagner still cannot play in his own end.

Dubnyk provides the adequate goaltending his concentration level still falters and the bad goals continue.

Hemsky hates being 3RH but he wants an Olympic spot so he competes.

Eberle has a better year point wise still playing a sound game.

Smid continues along steady Smid.

Ference is named captain and provides leadership. Showing what it takes to win.

Schultz the younger starts great but hits a wall late in the season.

Petry picks it up a bit.

That's not everyone just some main players.

The Oil fight down to the last few games but sadly just miss out on the playoffs.Hope I'm wrong but there are to many holes in the bottom six and no true top pairing on defense,

#24 Robin Brownlee
September 09 2013, 09:57PM

@Woodguy

Agree on Belov's pedigree, but I'm reluctant to put a player on the roster I haven't seen against NHL competition and who, aside from having to deal with the change in culture, might get out of the blocks slowly with this visa delay.

I don't have him on the roster Oct. 1, but, like I said earlier, I can see him being around if/when Grebeshkov struggles.

As for my 10th-11th pick, the 8-11 or even 12th holes are tricky and often separated by only a handful of points. I want to see how the new alignment impacts this team. New head coach etc etc. Wildcards, as Gregor calls them.

#25 pkam
September 10 2013, 12:48PM
Jordan Nugent-Hallkins wrote:

I'd love Kadri in Oilers silks but I don't think the Leafs let him go after all the time they put into him.

Not saying we will get Kadri for sure, but it did put a lot of pressure on the Leafs. From what I heard, their offer on the table is 5.7M for 2 year.

Too bad we don't have a little more cap space. I will go even as high as 8.5M for 2 years.

#26 Robin Brownlee
September 09 2013, 09:23PM
Batfink wrote:

Do you expect the oilers to at least challenge for a play-off spot before dropping off? Where do you place us? Cellar dwellers again?

No, I don't see this team as a bottom-feeder or even a lottery team. If all the wildcards -- Eakins, Perron, a return to form by Jones and a better showing by the defense -- fall their way, I can see the Oilers hanging in and finishing 10-11th.

#27 OilClog
September 09 2013, 09:40PM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

Good Grief.

#28 Walter Sobchak
September 09 2013, 09:57PM

The Oiler's....Where do I begin?

Last year in a shorten season the Oilers were statistically worse in a variety of areas.

If the Oilers would have lost those last two games, they would have, should have, been a lottery team again.

I just can’t see the Oilers being better the 22nd to 24th in the league.

Taking a hard look at the other teams in the west rosters, and trying to be non-biases towards the Oilers, I have the same concerns as almost every hockey magazine, media, and fans who are not Oilers fans.

The fourth line is a hot mess;

The 3rd line is not what I would consider a true “checking line”, a line that will shut the other team’s big boys down in the defensive zone while intimidating and being hard to play against…… butter soft 3rd line.

Center depth is a massive concern, not just minor, but massive.

Having Hall move to center just ruined his chance at being on the Olympic team. …..Just plain stupid!!! If I was Hall I would be more then pissed!

If the forth line is a hot mess, then the defense is just woefully inadequate!! On any other team Petry - Smid is a 2nd pairing, Schultz Jr - Ferrance is a 3rd pairing , and Shultz Sr is a 6th -7th on any playoff team.

Grebeshkov who might get a spot despite not scoring a goal in two seasons in the KHL.

Belov might not be able to do anything on a smaller, faster ice surface.

Larsen couldn’t make the Stars fulltime and Klefbom should be in the minors for at least a year, but may in fact play on the Oilers this year.

Sorry for the rant, this is how I see the team, I don’t have any optimism left, I am at a show me now point, and I no longer get that giddy feeling about the rebuild, everything is now under scrutiny.

#29 David S
September 09 2013, 09:49PM
OilClog wrote:

Good Grief.

We'll have Taylor Hall playing woefully out of position for a month during a hellacious away schedule.

When Nuge gets back he'll still be feeling his way back until at least Christmas.

Ryan Jones and Ryan Smyth (need I say more).

D that "still needs work".

A starting goalie our GM still doesn't have confidence in.

Yes. By all means the Oilers will at the very least challenge for conference title.

*Slap*

#30 OilClog
September 09 2013, 10:06PM
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

Damn it.

Yes, yes it was.

#31 SeriousGord
September 10 2013, 07:07AM
The Oilers Shot Clock wrote:

Haven't had a season with this many variables and wild cards for as long as I can remember. With so many unknown factors playing a role, it's easy to lean on either end of the spectrum of optimism and pesimism when in all probability, like every thing else, the season will probably fall some where in the middle. Optimistic view: Oilers grab that eight spot. Pessimistic view: They go back to the lottery. My middle ground is an improvement on last year with important and meaningful games played right to the end of the year.

Not making the playoffs this year should be a firing offense.

#32 Rob...
September 10 2013, 09:58AM
StHenriOilBomb wrote:

Keep it up, RB!

I think the only reason Robin banned him from posting was that he couldn't ban him from drinking Red Bull. The dude was more wired than intentionally obstinate.

#33 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
September 10 2013, 12:42PM

#34 pkam
September 10 2013, 02:51PM
David S wrote:

Uh guys...we have pretty much ZERO cap space left. The only offer sheets we'll be sending out will be to Flames washroom attendants (I hear they're the best in the league).

Not sure how you arrive at that conclusion. According to capgeek, we have 24 players signed and 1,348,333 in cap space.

If RNH can't start on Oct 1, it will give us over 5M cap space when the season starts.

Assuming RNH will start Oct 1, we still have to cut one player which will at least free up at least 775,000 (Potter who is the second cheapest) cause I don't think we will cut Brown (736,667) so we have about 2M.

If we offer sheet a player, we have to cut another player. The next cheapest will be Lander at 900K. So we will have at least 2.9M for offer sheet if we want to.

And if we can trade N. Schultz, we will free up 3.5M and have tons of cap space to work with.

#35 OilClog
September 09 2013, 09:53PM
David S wrote:

Ryan Jones and Ryan Smyth (need I say more).

D that "still needs work".

A starting goalie our GM still doesn't have confidence in.

*Slap*

Ryan Smyth isn't done, he had a couple coaches that kill horses..

Jones could be gone be end of training camp..

Nuge may be back Oct 1 and they're all screwing with the media.. like it's never happened..

Doobie, if he has confidence in himself and continues to play the way he has.. Goaltending isn't our issue!

I'm not saying conference title.. But 10-11th.. Ridiculous.

And "Good Grief" I thought was the DSF thing.. so it's fun to use.

#36 Butters
September 09 2013, 10:31PM

"I'll also have some of what Woodguy is on." Quick, you're the Shea Weber can be an Oiler guy, sheesh. Same stuff, different pipe ;-)

#37 Spydyr
September 10 2013, 11:11AM
RexLibris wrote:

I'm really curious to see more on Belov's immigration delay issue.

Certainly there was enough lead up time to get papers straightened out, but I know enough to know that I don't know very much about immigration and work visas.

I'm left wondering what factors are at play here in this delay: agent, player dragging his feet, fallout from previous suspensions, KHL paperwork "technicalities", etc.

This is just a guess nothing more. I bet his immigration delay is fixed by main camp. Perhaps something to do with not wanting to go through rookie camp. Again 100% conjecture.

#38 JesusJuice
September 09 2013, 08:42PM

Camp wild card: Philip Larsen. He was a legitimate top 4 option with the Stars in 2012, but regressed last year. If he returns to his rookie year form, he could crack the top 6.

#39 OilClog
September 09 2013, 09:54PM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

A couple of things . . .

-- I don't have an Oiler badge to turn in.

-- Don't tell me to cheer for anybody.

So sorry sir, cheer for who you wish

You don't like disagreements much do you?

#40 OilClog
September 09 2013, 10:00PM
Woodguy wrote:

I see two things different on defense.

1) I like Klefbom a lot and think he'll be a good D for the Oilers for a long time (barring injury), but even MacTavish has mentioned that the rookie camp were his first games in a year and that the AHL is an option.

Belov was the highest scoring Dman in the KHL and was also on the Russian WHC team.

Since they brought all the way over from Russia and given his pedigree, I think he makes the team out of camp and would have to play his way off of it.

2) MacTavish hired 3 LHD men this summer in Ferrence, Grebeshkov and Belov (although Belov plays right as well)

Add to this LHD Smid signed to a long term contract and N.Shultz on his last year and I think N.Shultz may be moved sooner rather than later.

Some team will have an injury and need a D, and he's the odd man out.

Also,

I think the Oilers finish 4th or 5th in the Pacific and it might be good enough for the last playoff spot in the West.

Past CHI and STL no one is particularly strong in the Central and both 4th and 5th in the Pacific might be good enough for both wildcards.

ANA will also step back from last year's points/gm. They played out of their heads percentage wise and Big Sexy almost had a career year and now he's gone for over half the season.

I think 8th-11th is a reasonable range for the Oilers.

I also agree with the poster who mentioned Eberle at C might be worth a look.

It makes some sense for Eberle to play C.

Eberle, Yakupov and Hemsky can all play top 6 minutes, whereas there isn't much on the left side past Hall and Perron.

I think Hall would be fine at C, would just like to see more balance on the lines and Hall at C puts it out of whack a bit.

This ^

#41 Mj
September 09 2013, 10:47PM

Mr brownlee I totally understand the need for respect when posting but through oil cogs disrespect he did still have a point. The team is trending up and have made significant changes why such a low expectation? They were in 8 th at the deadline and lost 10 straight that's hard to repeat...

#42 Hammers
September 10 2013, 12:20AM

Sorry but your way off so keep this for reference . On your forwards Brown is out and Lander , Joensuu and Omark make the cut . If he carries 14 add Acton . Re the "D" Belov in & Klefbom to AHL .Potter & Larsen go on injury list . Ference & Petry ,J Schultz & Smid ; N.Schultz & Belov with Grebs the #7 . If there is a chance for a decent return N.Schultz is traded .

#43 Hrm
September 09 2013, 09:23PM
Hauk15 wrote:

You mean Jean-Francius Joensuu?

#44 OilClog
September 09 2013, 09:34PM

Good Grief

#45 Craig1981
September 09 2013, 09:51PM

How long before the many oilers fan who are excited about Gordon, Belov, kelfbom, and joensuu being the next allstars turn on them like they have omark, Smyth, belanger, and grebs. I'm hopeful a couple of them will turn out, but I'm aware Gorden is the only one I remember watching...

#46 michael
September 10 2013, 08:42AM
Serious Gord wrote:

Could be a very long season.

Absolutely. Its my biggest concern. I fear that teams like LA and San Jose will just run the cycle and dominate us down low and just put the skates to us. My concern is that our defence does not have one guy who can handle the bigger players on LA ,Anaheim or San Jose.

If? If Jesse Jonessu can prove to be that guy up front I would be pleased as pinch. But really who will match up against guys like Thornton,Mareau and Getzlaf. Kopitar?

I really think we need to look at a dman with size who can play a defensive role. Not a Justin Shultz/Jeff Petry kind of guy. More of a brick craphouse kinda guy who can punish the opposing teams big men down low on the cycle.

For me MacT's been leaning way to far one way without looking at what we'll need to compete in the Pacific Division. Colburn would have been the guy I would have wanted. He has the size and grit to shut down the cycle and he has the shutzpah to handle guys like Thornton and Marleau.

Hopefully we'll see something give before end of camp.

#48 Robin Brownlee
September 09 2013, 08:16PM
freelancer wrote:

I'm not huge on him myself Robin, but do you see any scenario in which Omark cracks the lineup opening night?

Sure. If Omark has a good pre-season and Hall is moved to center with RNH out, he's an option with more offensive pop than Jones or Smyth on LW.

#49 Ivan Drago
September 10 2013, 07:53AM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

One and all: disagree with the points and opinions raised in any given item. Find flaws in the logic. Take an opposing view. Disagree.

But save the personal remarks and sarcasm. If I feel that line has been crossed and ask you to back off, then back off. You don't have to like it, but that's how it works. It's very straightforward.

#50 Batfink
September 10 2013, 07:56AM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

Personal remarks, yes I agree with, and we don't get to see the posts you moderate. You have the right to not have what you deem as hurtful remarks put your way. But......I have noticed you have used sarcasm more than once to put down guys with ridiculous trade speculations/unlikley line combos/ just plain nut jobs. What's good for the goose...

And your above post.....well, a side of humble pie would seem to be in order. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

So, if you disagree with this post, am I banned? The next guy? That's why one-upmanship is a dangerous game. You have used the threat.