PUSHING THE RIVER

Lowetide
January 01 2014 11:01AM

I think we've established that Taylor Hall is unlikely to make the Olympic team—he's on my team without a throw—but as the calendar turns it's important to keep in mind what Hall's been through this season, and what he's been doing recently.

TAYLOR HALL BY MONTH, 2013-14

Early in the season he was a center, and then he suffered an injury. Although he didn't miss a lot of time (7 games), it certainly had an impact when he returned to play. Still, Hall has been improving and recently has been very good, especially at evens (he has 11 of the team's 81 even-stength goals). In Hall's last 6 games, he's 3-7-10 +4. Things aren't back to normal (his Corsi For % at 5x5/close is lagging from previous seasons) but he's trending in a good direction.

I'd love to see him at the Olympics, but Hall's performances for the Oilers are the real thrill for this fan. Taylor Hall is a difference maker, and the team's recent record (2-0-2 in the last four game) has a lot to do with #4.

Even having a season that looks wonky based on his own established levels, Hall is one of the top players in the game (76th in GVT right now and trending) and if Team Canada passes on him they're addled.

HE CAN'T PLAY DEFENSE!

The 'he can't play defense' argument went full sail during the WHC's last year, when Lindy Ruff chose to hamstring his own team and move Hall down the depth chart. Hall's ability to push the river and help possession makes him BETTER than a defensive forward—the best defense is a good offense—and hockey fans can go overboard making this argument.

Example: Gretzky. People would bitch and moan about his ability to play defense, completely disregarding the fact that the puck was rarely in Edmonton's zone with 99 on the ice. I know, I was there and I did it! Today's modern metrics allow me to understand that Gretzky's offense was so good that the defensive side of the game was reduced markedly with him as part of the solution (that became less of a factor as time wore on, but as an Oiler the ice was tilted in a major way—more than at any other time in history is my guess).

Now, I'm not comparing Hall to Gretzky, but the dynamics are the same. What Hall does well (drives defensemen back, opening up space for zone entries on sorties) has extreme value in possession metrics, and pushes the river in Edmonton's favor. Now, they don't do enough with it, but that's another discussion.

If the group choosing Team Canada focuses on that, Hall makes this team in a breeze.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

My guess is Team Canada passes on Hall, and that he uses it as fuel to punish the hockey world. As an Oiler fan, that's the best thing about looking forward to 2014.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
Lowetide has been one of the Oilogosphere's shining lights for over a century. You can check him out here at OilersNation and at lowetide.ca. He is also the host of Lowdown with Lowetide weekday mornings 10-noon on Team 1260.
Avatar
#1 Oliveoiler
January 01 2014, 02:29PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
49
cheers

NONE of the Oilers should be playing at the Olympics - instead, EVERY day, for hours on end, they should be practicing ALL aspects of the game, particularity defense, PP and PK, watching videos of teams that get it right, game after game and not going to the bar to unwind. Then perhaps, maybe, possibly, by some miracle we will have a decent team AFTER the break to carry over to next season. I know, I'm dreaming, but that's about any of us fans have left - dreams.

Avatar
#2 Impartial Oilers Fan
January 01 2014, 11:19AM
Trash it!
45
trashes
Cheers
45
cheers

Can someone please explain why fans and bloggers believe that they're smarter and know more about hockey than the guys in charge of picking the Olympic team?!

I do not understand how fans have an blind belief in players, specifically like Hall and Yakupov. These fans that come across like hockey mom's talking about their own son's, spouting off that they are better than kids picked on a team that their son wasn't.

So, do tell, why are these fans and bloggers not seeing the same flaws in Hall and Yakupov that some of the most important and influential minds in hockey are seeing?

Obviously standard stats aren't the sole criteria, otherwise Hall would be a lock apparently. And its not a anti-Russian thing, because even Russian's own Olympic committee was talking about the glaring deficiencies in Yakupov's game. Yet, everyone that loves to scream YakCity before he's even proved anything substantial, think that its only a Russian bias as to why he needs to improve and drop the prima donna act in the media.

So again, please, inform me why fans and bloggers are right about Hall and Yakupov and their respective Olympic selection committees don't see them the same way??

Avatar
#3 RexHolez
January 01 2014, 02:57PM
Trash it!
13
trashes
Cheers
42
cheers

If the oilers picked seguin and hall went to Boston I bet he would of made team canada! Sorry you were drafted by this joke of a franchise Hallsy

Avatar
#4 K_Mart
January 01 2014, 11:40AM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
37
cheers
Impartial Oilers Fan wrote:

Can someone please explain why fans and bloggers believe that they're smarter and know more about hockey than the guys in charge of picking the Olympic team?!

I do not understand how fans have an blind belief in players, specifically like Hall and Yakupov. These fans that come across like hockey mom's talking about their own son's, spouting off that they are better than kids picked on a team that their son wasn't.

So, do tell, why are these fans and bloggers not seeing the same flaws in Hall and Yakupov that some of the most important and influential minds in hockey are seeing?

Obviously standard stats aren't the sole criteria, otherwise Hall would be a lock apparently. And its not a anti-Russian thing, because even Russian's own Olympic committee was talking about the glaring deficiencies in Yakupov's game. Yet, everyone that loves to scream YakCity before he's even proved anything substantial, think that its only a Russian bias as to why he needs to improve and drop the prima donna act in the media.

So again, please, inform me why fans and bloggers are right about Hall and Yakupov and their respective Olympic selection committees don't see them the same way??

First off, it's the people here in edmonton that see Hall's flaws more than anyone else. We watch him closer than anyone on that panel except maybe klowe, but even that's up for debate.

The reasons we are right about Hall are as follows:

He is the best left winger on the planet.

Hall was playing centre to start the season and was -9 after 13 games. Brutal.

Since then he is +3 on an absolutely dreadful team. The fact that he is able to consistently drive the play towards the opposition's zone against the best d men in the league game in and game out despite having a horrible team supporting him is huge reason all on it's own. Right now, Steen, Kunitz, and Sharp are the canadian left wingers with more points than Hall. But none of them have more points/game than him. He leads in that category. He has more p/g than every canadian left winger in the league, and he's on the 29th place team. Think about it. How has he been able to be +3 since game 13 and produce the most points on a team as bad as the oilers? Because he is just that good. He has a reputation for being a selfish player who turns the puck over way too much. He earned that reputation because that's how he played earlier in his career, but he is doing his part to shed that rep.

If you listen to the reasons the Olympic selection panel isn't leaning towards Hall, they are as follows:

He turns the puck over too often when trying to gain the zone. (He's almost completely removed this from his game.) He seems to know when to dump it in and when to carry it in now.

He doesn't back check (false false false) Over the last 20 games he's often been the first forward back, and I've seen him below our goal line supporting our horrible defensemen more often than any forward not named Nuge or Gordon.

His defensive game is non existent. Also false, see previous point.

The truth is, if the Oilers were in the playoff hunt, Hall would be in consideration for the Olympics. The fact that he hasn't been able to drag this team to the playoffs all on his own is basically the real reason he isn't on the team.

He is so much better than Couture it isn't even funny. But unfortunately for him, he isn't playing for san jose.

Avatar
#5 They're $hittie
January 01 2014, 11:12AM
Trash it!
20
trashes
Cheers
32
cheers

why kunitz, I would rather take neal

props for neal

trash for kunitz

HALL SHOULD BE ON THIS TEAM. His D game would look a lot better on a team like san jose. Hall is better than couture also.

Patrick sharp is almost a god with his two way play.

Avatar
#6 michael
January 01 2014, 11:26AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
29
cheers

What were seeing is leadership by example. 3 years in. What we are seeing is Hall taking his game to a new level. He has taken personal responsibility for his game on both sides of the puck. He may not be ready for prime time just yet. But 4 years from now Hall will the cock of the walk. He'll be to this team what Messier was to the 80s Oilers. He already is the emotional barometer of this team. When Hall is on. The team is tough to beat.

IMO.Sharp is the guy. Has earned it.

Avatar
#7 Taylor Gang
January 01 2014, 05:14PM
Trash it!
14
trashes
Cheers
28
cheers
Jackson wrote:

No team plays the Oilers hard. They have the worst D in the NHL. No team brings their A game to play the Oilers. Hall points are inflated.

What an ignorant thing to say

Avatar
#8 Oilers G- Nations Poet Laureate
January 01 2014, 11:11AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
26
cheers

Taylor needs to play

with a chip on his shoulder.

A snub might do that.

Avatar
#9 They're $hittie
January 01 2014, 11:23AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
26
cheers

@DonDon

Kadri is going to want 7M, no thanks, his numbers will be like eberles and will fall off because he is overly lucky right now. As for his size he doesnt use it so why does it matter

Avatar
#10 Serious Gord
January 01 2014, 03:58PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
25
cheers
TayLordBalls wrote:

Nonsense!

The Oil have turned the corner. The coach is excellent.

MacT will invest in quality D at the appropriate time.

This team has the makings of something truly spectacular.

The dynasty years were exactly the same - the Oil could score, but the other team scored more. Fans complained!

The moment they added quality D that team became a powerhouse.

So it was and so it will be again.

Hang onto your britches because its something special.

Not sure if this is insanity or deeply committed sarcasm...

Avatar
#11 Rama Lama
January 01 2014, 12:12PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
24
cheers
K_Mart wrote:

Man, remember when not too long ago our top 4 d were Visnovsky, Souray, Smid, and Gilbert. They aren't world beaters by any means, but boy did tambo destroy the value that was there. Vis and Souray could still be here, and I remember Gilbert looking okay in a #4 role getting soft minutes and easier competition.

How far this d core has fallen. Please MacT, save our back end. For the love of all that is hockey, save it now.

Start by bringing up Fedun and sending Marincin back down.

Having the only defenceman in the past five years (who could shoot, hit, and fight ) leave for nothing is a tragedy. Souray was NOT handled properly by Lowe, Tamby or Quinn) as apparently he was

Avatar
#12 Fred
January 01 2014, 03:43PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
24
cheers
TayLordBalls wrote:

Nonsense!

The Oil have turned the corner. The coach is excellent.

MacT will invest in quality D at the appropriate time.

This team has the makings of something truly spectacular.

The dynasty years were exactly the same - the Oil could score, but the other team scored more. Fans complained!

The moment they added quality D that team became a powerhouse.

So it was and so it will be again.

Hang onto your britches because its something special.

NO,

The moment they fire Kevin Lowe they become a better team

Avatar
#13 K_Mart
January 01 2014, 12:10PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
23
cheers
Zamboni Driver wrote:

Complete UTTER nonsense.

The second best player this year on the second last team in the NHL does NOT MAKE THE OLYMPIC TEAM ALAN. He won't be given a second thought.

I'm stunned as well that you actually used 'regular' statistics to back up your position. Certainly there must be backhand shot attempts versus American goalies that could really drive your point home.

He's the best player on this team. I'm assuming you have Perron ahead of him. But he shouldn't be. Perron is great. But hall is miles ahead of every player on our roster at the moment.

Avatar
#14 Oilers G- Nations Poet Laureate
January 01 2014, 11:27AM
Trash it!
58
trashes
Cheers
22
cheers

Gagner > Kadri.

Enough said

Avatar
#15 Fossil
January 01 2014, 12:18PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
18
cheers

Hall has definitely been the most improved player this year. The 2 or 3 ugly turn overs per game will be enough to keep him out. How Eberle could be in any Olympic conversation defies logic. He and Gagner have become the worst, regular minutes, defensive forwards on the team. If you take away the continual bad decisions they make with the puck, defenders just need to give them a push and they fall over. Others in the league of their size and skill do not have this happen as much. How these players with such high potential have become so bad makes our future look very scary.

Avatar
#16 Jackson
January 01 2014, 02:31PM
Trash it!
59
trashes
Cheers
18
cheers
Oilers42 wrote:

It's still the highest level of hockey there was for and he still won and dominated Point is hall is one of the best forwards in the league with the 7 games hall missed he would be 3rd in scoring

No team plays the Oilers hard. They have the worst D in the NHL. No team brings their A game to play the Oilers. Hall points are inflated.

Avatar
#17 Rod from Viking
January 01 2014, 03:53PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
18
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

OT:

For the hemsky and gagner lovers out there including MacT - take a good look at that Gleason trade. The oil doesn't have the cap room to even be in on the conversation because those to stiffs are still on the roster

I would hope the Oilers were very interested in Gleason he was exactly what they need, and they would have had to trade someone for him, the problem is Gleason had a limited 5 team no-trade clause, I would have to assume Edmonton and their brilliantly run organization would have been on that list.

Avatar
#18 Kr55
January 01 2014, 10:56PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
18
cheers
Alsker wrote:

Not to mention someone to blame for the f*ckups.

Gags -2 last game looking as clueless as he usually does in his own end. Eakins is talking today like Yak is getting a great opportunity again next game playing with Gagner. As you said, when Gags doesn't do his job in our end AGAIN, it will be Yak sitting out. Did I miss something? Is Gags buddies with Katz now? Did he move into Horc's old house? Something is completely off here.

Avatar
#19 Zamboni Driver
January 01 2014, 12:05PM
Trash it!
35
trashes
Cheers
17
cheers

Complete UTTER nonsense.

The second best player this year on the second last team in the NHL does NOT MAKE THE OLYMPIC TEAM ALAN. He won't be given a second thought.

I'm stunned as well that you actually used 'regular' statistics to back up your position. Certainly there must be backhand shot attempts versus American goalies that could really drive your point home.

Avatar
#20 EricOG
January 01 2014, 02:57PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
17
cheers
TayLordBalls wrote:

The coach is excellent.

It may not be all the players he wants, but he's done a heck of a job with what he's been given.

Are we talking about the same coach who stuck Acton into the train wreck that was the 4 line at the start of the year?

When they want to play good, they play great. The rest of the time, you can make a video of them with the Benny Hill theme song and it will come out natural.

Say what you want, but in the end, this whole crap show is coaching and management.

Avatar
#21 RexHolez
January 01 2014, 03:43PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
17
cheers
TayLordBalls wrote:

Nonsense!

The Oil have turned the corner. The coach is excellent.

MacT will invest in quality D at the appropriate time.

This team has the makings of something truly spectacular.

The dynasty years were exactly the same - the Oil could score, but the other team scored more. Fans complained!

The moment they added quality D that team became a powerhouse.

So it was and so it will be again.

Hang onto your britches because its something special.

Kevin Lowe? Is that you trying to keep your job by trying to blow that same smoke??

Katz should walk into a grocery store, pick the first person he sees and make them G.M. Then appoint the check out girl as the Coach, and have random draws every game for assistants! I bet the team would improve dramatically

Avatar
#22 admiralmark
January 01 2014, 03:58PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
17
cheers

Forget Hall, I cant believe Gagner's not gonna make the team?! lol

Avatar
#23 Serious Gord
January 01 2014, 12:29PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
16
cheers

OT:

For the hemsky and gagner lovers out there including MacT - take a good look at that Gleason trade. The oil doesn't have the cap room to even be in on the conversation because those to stiffs are still on the roster

Avatar
#24 David
January 01 2014, 01:42PM
Trash it!
24
trashes
Cheers
16
cheers

Never in a playoff game.

Does not play a 200ft game.

Uses his speed against non playoff teams. Does not work against talent

Of course he is not on the Olympic team. Unless they want a 1- way player

Avatar
#25 Taylor Gang
January 01 2014, 01:55PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
16
cheers

Hall is just beginning to become a superstar in the NHL. At this rate of scoring, if he didn't get injured for 7 games, he'd be THIRD in the NHL in scoring. Third. How he won't make Team Canada is beyond ridiculous.

Avatar
#26 Jason
January 01 2014, 04:57PM
Trash it!
22
trashes
Cheers
16
cheers

@Taylor Gang

Sean Couturier for Eberle would be a good trade for Edmonton

Avatar
#27 Czar
January 01 2014, 11:26AM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers

Having Kurri on his line didn't hurt the Great one either.

Hall will use the snub as motivation and dominate in 4 years.

Avatar
#29 Sisyphus
January 01 2014, 12:12PM
Trash it!
12
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers

The way I see it is, if Hall is snubbed from Team Canada, one of two things is going to happen, and I don't see much middle ground:

1. Hall uses it as motivation to really round himself out as a player, work on his defensive skills, and try even harder to carry this team to a playoff game on his back.

OR

2. Hall comes to the realization that by signing on as an Oiler for so many years, he has essentially robbed himself not only of any real chance to complete for the Cup in the next 5-6 years, but also for any real shot at making the Olympic team. Tolerates the suck for another year, then asks for a trade when the oilers are out of the playoffs next year by Thanksgiving again

Avatar
#30 Dog Train
January 01 2014, 01:28PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers

Hall is one of the few reasons that this team is watchable. He has warts in his game but everybody does. Unfortunately, he doesn't have enough help.

Avatar
#31 Serious Gord
January 01 2014, 01:32PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers
Impartial Oilers Fan wrote:

Can someone please explain why fans and bloggers believe that they're smarter and know more about hockey than the guys in charge of picking the Olympic team?!

I do not understand how fans have an blind belief in players, specifically like Hall and Yakupov. These fans that come across like hockey mom's talking about their own son's, spouting off that they are better than kids picked on a team that their son wasn't.

So, do tell, why are these fans and bloggers not seeing the same flaws in Hall and Yakupov that some of the most important and influential minds in hockey are seeing?

Obviously standard stats aren't the sole criteria, otherwise Hall would be a lock apparently. And its not a anti-Russian thing, because even Russian's own Olympic committee was talking about the glaring deficiencies in Yakupov's game. Yet, everyone that loves to scream YakCity before he's even proved anything substantial, think that its only a Russian bias as to why he needs to improve and drop the prima donna act in the media.

So again, please, inform me why fans and bloggers are right about Hall and Yakupov and their respective Olympic selection committees don't see them the same way??

I guess we put you into the camp that was 100% behind the team that bobby Clarke picked for Nagano - the one that left messier and others off the roster.

And you also fully backed ray bourque getting a chance in the shoot out over Wayne.

After all you consider the pros to be infallible.

Avatar
#32 RexHolez
January 01 2014, 02:33PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers

@Oilers42

I agree with you, if I was picking the team Hall would be on it for sure. But I don't see him making it due to the fact that he's on such a terrible team and there's lots of high quality players that can and have won at the professional level. Canada is gonna take proven winners, not a guy with good stats on the worst team in the NHL

Avatar
#33 TayLordBalls
January 01 2014, 03:34PM
Trash it!
35
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers
EricOG wrote:

Are we talking about the same coach who stuck Acton into the train wreck that was the 4 line at the start of the year?

When they want to play good, they play great. The rest of the time, you can make a video of them with the Benny Hill theme song and it will come out natural.

Say what you want, but in the end, this whole crap show is coaching and management.

Nonsense!

The Oil have turned the corner. The coach is excellent.

MacT will invest in quality D at the appropriate time.

This team has the makings of something truly spectacular.

The dynasty years were exactly the same - the Oil could score, but the other team scored more. Fans complained!

The moment they added quality D that team became a powerhouse.

So it was and so it will be again.

Hang onto your britches because its something special.

Avatar
#34 Velo
January 01 2014, 03:42PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers

Like Hall. Enjoy watching him develop. I still wouldn't have him on my Oly team. How someone with such high offensive iq is so crap in his own end I'll never know. On larger ice his angles and reads will leave his side of the ice exposed. His offensive gifts and his ability to develop other areas are not in question IMO. Just not there yet.

That said, the Olympics are not best of 7's. A hot Hall could be very valuable. But, I'm not taking that risk if I'm picking players.

Avatar
#35 dougtheslug
January 01 2014, 11:28PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers
Impartial Oilers Fan wrote:

Can someone please explain why fans and bloggers believe that they're smarter and know more about hockey than the guys in charge of picking the Olympic team?!

I do not understand how fans have an blind belief in players, specifically like Hall and Yakupov. These fans that come across like hockey mom's talking about their own son's, spouting off that they are better than kids picked on a team that their son wasn't.

So, do tell, why are these fans and bloggers not seeing the same flaws in Hall and Yakupov that some of the most important and influential minds in hockey are seeing?

Obviously standard stats aren't the sole criteria, otherwise Hall would be a lock apparently. And its not a anti-Russian thing, because even Russian's own Olympic committee was talking about the glaring deficiencies in Yakupov's game. Yet, everyone that loves to scream YakCity before he's even proved anything substantial, think that its only a Russian bias as to why he needs to improve and drop the prima donna act in the media.

So again, please, inform me why fans and bloggers are right about Hall and Yakupov and their respective Olympic selection committees don't see them the same way??

I'll tell you why. In Turin in 2006 Olympic brains trust (coincidently, lead by ex- Oilers Gretzky and Lowe) decided to let loyalty to the past govern their team selection and chose veterans like Kris Draper and Todd Bertuzzi as well as a host of slow footed d-men to the team, rather then a new generation of forwards (young players have terrific years like Sidney Crosby, Eric Staal and Marc Savard).

Their selections were hotly debated and criticized and as it turned out, for good reason - on the larger ice surface the team's lack of speed was exposed woefully -they were shutout by the Finns and Swiss and barely edged the Czechs in the preliminary round, and were shutout again by the Russians in the quarter final.

The Sochi Olympics will be very different than Vancouver (horrendous time change, hostile crowd and outside distractions, larger ice surface). Are the current NHL executives choosing team Canada creative enough to consider these differences, or will they, like they have in the past, end up designing their tactics for the previous battle.

In my humble opinion, a topic well worth debating.

Avatar
#36 EricOG
January 01 2014, 12:31PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
14
cheers

Thing is Eberle and Gagner are finishers by nature. So putting them both together makes that line a null one.

Last night they created nothing, the only lines creating were the Hall line and a little bit from the Hemsky-Gordon-Smyth line. That, is on coaching.

Avatar
#37 Rod from Viking
January 01 2014, 04:32PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
14
cheers

If Simmonds or Braden Schenn plus Coburn was really offered up for Eberle and a pick or prospect(as long as not Nurse) and turned down by Mac T that is really sad, two of those three are exactly what we need.

Avatar
#38 6 ring circus
January 01 2014, 07:36PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
14
cheers

As long as Lowe keeps bringing Katz autographed jockstraps from the boy's on the bus teams, his job is secure.

Avatar
#39 Oilers42
January 01 2014, 02:07PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
13
cheers
RexHolez wrote:

I think there's only one number why Hall won't make the Olympic team and that's 13-24-5. On a team that has no other option but to win gold, it's hard to pick a guy that's on such a terrible hockey team no matter what his personal stats are. Fair or not the canadian Olympic team needs winners and hall isn't one yet

Hall has shown he can win in the chl with 2 memorial cups and 2 mvps and three iihf gold medals I'm pretty sure he's a winner

Avatar
#40 Jason
January 01 2014, 05:35PM
Trash it!
21
trashes
Cheers
13
cheers

@Taylor Gang

You don't understand how to build a team.

Ask Lindy Ruff about Hall.

You truly don't get it.

Avatar
#41 RexHolez
January 01 2014, 05:50PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
13
cheers

I don't think you can trade eberle for anything other then an actual NHL defenceman. It'd be nice to have atleast 1 of those

Avatar
#42 Serious Gord
January 01 2014, 06:58PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
13
cheers
TayLordBalls wrote:

Your just using Lowe as a scapegoat.

The structure of the team is that:

Lowe manages the upper management of the team /

MacT manages the staff (coaches) and secures players.

Coaches manage the players.

Consider that Tabo and MacT have essentially started a new NHL team from nothing.

Hall, Nugent Hopkins, Eberle, Yak and others have not come close to peaking yet.

Lowe was coach Then became GM and HIRED MacT Then he HIRED Tambo and had a heavy hand in the HIRING of Quinn and Rennie

He then fired Tambo and HIRED MacT. And he had a very heavy involvement In the assistant GM search sitting in on most of if not all of the meetings including the first meeting with Eakins who was HIRED by MacT. And he is the guy who has done most of the HIRING of the scouting and assistant staff.

This team continues to have Lowe's fingerprints all over it - as one would expect a POHO to have - look at how Burke is following lowes lead.. He's not the scapegoat - he is at the top of the blame pyramid.

Avatar
Trash it!
15
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers

@Impartial Oilers Fan

Your name makes absolutely no sense and neither does your post. How the heck can you be a fan and be impartial? Oxymoron much? Do you own a dodge ram too?

Avatar
#44 Batfink
January 01 2014, 02:03PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers
David wrote:

Never in a playoff game.

Does not play a 200ft game.

Uses his speed against non playoff teams. Does not work against talent

Of course he is not on the Olympic team. Unless they want a 1- way player

Ok, so

1) Yes, he has never been in a playoff game.

2) Still missing LT's point of his offense being his greatest defensive attribute

3) Has 3 points against bottom of the standings Chicago Blackhawks and a bunch of points against a terrible Pittsburgh, Philly, Anaheim, Phoenix, all bad non-playoff teams. 3 second search on TSN.ca.

Avatar
#45 gr8one
January 01 2014, 06:19PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

OT:

For the hemsky and gagner lovers out there including MacT - take a good look at that Gleason trade. The oil doesn't have the cap room to even be in on the conversation because those to stiffs are still on the roster

The ignorance of this post is astounding on so many levels.

First of all, the Oilers have over 12 million of cap space currently, more than enough to make taking on Gleason's salary a moot point.

Second, and more important, Gleason is TERRIBLE, the last thing this team needs is another slow defender that can't pass the puck. Especially @ $4m/per for two more years after this season.

N.Schultz is a better option than Gleason.

Avatar
#46 Gaz
January 01 2014, 08:02PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers

@Oliveoiler

Not really. He's in the upper echelon of scorers in the league, so he's doing something right.

Everyone is 'predictable' to a degree. The excellent players produce despite the other teams having a book on them. Hall's been in the league long enough for other teams to know what he's bringing, and he produces.

Even if we allow for your argument re: clear ice and breakaways - shouldn't we then acknowledge that he is good at finding clear spots and good at hitting a gap to create a breakaway opportunity?

Avatar
#47 TayLordBalls
January 01 2014, 11:44AM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers

Hope I am wrong, but with troubles in Russia, it may be the very best thing for Hall not to make the trip.

God Speed!

Avatar
#48 K_Mart
January 01 2014, 12:08PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers

Man, remember when not too long ago our top 4 d were Visnovsky, Souray, Smid, and Gilbert. They aren't world beaters by any means, but boy did tambo destroy the value that was there. Vis and Souray could still be here, and I remember Gilbert looking okay in a #4 role getting soft minutes and easier competition.

How far this d core has fallen. Please MacT, save our back end. For the love of all that is hockey, save it now.

Start by bringing up Fedun and sending Marincin back down.

Avatar
#49 K_Mart
January 01 2014, 12:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers

How's Pitlick been doing since his injury?

I like him much more than Joensuu and hope he can steal that job from him.

Avatar
#50 John
January 01 2014, 03:30PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers

USA left off Keith Yandle from the team because of defensive ability.

Hall not much defensive ability

Comments are closed for this article.