LOYALTY

Robin Brownlee
January 11 2014 02:29PM

If love is blind, as the saying goes, loyalty, as admirable as it can be, isn't far behind. Fans of the Edmonton Oilers can read an unflinching display of the latter from Oiler GM Craig MacTavish as it pertains to his team and friend Kevin Lowe in a terrific series by David Staples at the Edmonton Journal.

Lowe, as I pointed out in an item January 8, has been the focus of growing dissension within a passionate fan base with the Oilers on the way to missing the playoffs for an eighth straight season. While MacTavish is in his first year on the job as GM, Lowe has been at the top of Edmonton's hockey-ops department since 2000 as GM or president of hockey operations.

That focus isn't likely to change – nor should it – after an unexpected 4-3 overtime win over the powerhouse Pittsburgh Penguins at Rexall Place Friday. Framed in that, one snippet from the series – you can find it here – drives home how loyal MacTavish is to Lowe.

Staples writes: "With the Oilers losing so much in Lowe’s recent tenure, I suggest it is likely time to change the leadership of the organization, just as almost all NHL teams do when the losses start to mount."

MacTavish's response: "Well, I would say it would be a big mistake for us,” MacTavish says. "I appreciate Kevin Lowe’s leadership. I think we’re currently right on track to where we want to go. Like, I really feel like we’ve got limitless upside with this group."

TIES THAT BIND

I'm not stunned MacTavish would offer such a response. I'd be stunned, having some insight to their friendship and respect for each other dating back to their time as teammates in Edmonton and New York, if MacT said anything else. They have each other's back. Always have. Always will.

That, of course, doesn't change the fact that, in a results based business, Lowe has survived a staggering amount of failure since he took over as GM in 2000 and then moved to POHO under new owner Daryl Katz. The record is there for all to see. Like I said January 8, "Draw your own conclusions." Just don't expect MacTavish to admit or suggest he's come to the conclusion all these seasons of failure since 2000 during Lowe's tenure mean it's time for him to go. Those words won't pass by his lips.

Fans can insist that Lowe must go. They can display placards at games, as they have, saying he must be fired. Unless they stop buying tickets, parking and merchandise to show their displeasure – the building was packed for the Penguins – it doesn't matter. Members of the media can sack Lowe in the prints, TV and radio. It doesn't matter.

In the end, a public declaration about an outcome that seems long overdue to those not bound by loyalty or self-preservation will have to come from Katz, who is Lowe's friend, or Lowe himself. With a waiting list for season tickets and Rexall Place at or near capacity at the start of every season, what are the odds of that?

WHILE I'M AT IT . . .

Newspapers are collapsing under their own weight because of reduced advertising revenue, consumer demand for immediate information online and failure to grasp and/or monetize online platforms for distributing the news that's fit to print, but it's still an unhappy day to see a newspaper like the Kamloops Daily News go down, as it did last night.

The knucklehead in the photo above is me, around 1985, in a staged shot for a story about some lame new type of exercise equipment. I spent four years at the KDN, which published for more than 80 years, before moving on to the Edmonton Journal.

Back then, smaller dailies like the KDN were jumping off points for those hoping to move on to bigger newspapers. You worked your ass off doing everything and if you could hack it and were lucky, you were on your way.

I worked with many terrific and talented people back then. Ben Kuzma, my sports editor, has being covering the Vancouver Canucks for the Province for years. Iain MacIntyre, the other writer in the department, is a columnist, and a fine one, for the Vancouver Sun now.

Lots of talented people there now, too, like Gregg Drinnan, who wrote the best damn junior hockey blog in the business, at least until the paper put its last issue to bed Friday night. Sad to see it go.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#3 Robin Brownlee
January 11 2014, 02:52PM

@Mac962

Messier?

Unless he arrives somewhere down the road with at least a couple of years as an NHL general manager under his belt, what makes him more qualified than MacTavish to run hockey-ops?

#4 samurai003
January 11 2014, 04:33PM
Bicepus Maximus - Huge fan boy! wrote:

Career points:

MacTavish: 480

Messier: 1887

~He knows a thing or two about winning...~

NHL Career Points: Messier: 1,887 Great One: 2,857 Scotty Bowman: 0

NHL points has no correlation in a successful upper management position.

#5 Robin Brownlee
January 11 2014, 05:37PM

@Kurt

Who is ranting and raving?

If you've been following along then you know I've written that because of his relationship with the owner, Lowe might keep his job for life even if the Oilers stay lousy. I long ago accepted that possibility.

So your answer to what fans are enduring here is, what, just shut up about it, then?

#6 #ThereGoesTheOilers
January 11 2014, 03:50PM

@dave faulkner

From the autumn of 2006 up to yesterday, the Oilers have recorded 229 wins and 358 losses under Kevin Lowe's watch.

They win once every three games. Firing Kevin Lowe won't fix this.

However, it's hardly 'attacking' to point out that Lowe still retains his job despite this record. By what justification would you argue he should keep it?

#7 tom.MTL
January 12 2014, 07:18AM

Lowe isn't getting pink slipped. If anything, he'll get promoted. Perhaps the new title of Supreme Leader of Hockey Winning / President Of Excellent

#8 Bucknuck
January 11 2014, 02:48PM

I've seen terrible bosses whose staff hate them stick around for years after they should have been fired. Conversely, I've seen bosses who were greatly admired by their staff get the can for inexplicable reasons.

The point is that MacT is an employee of Lowe, and as such has no real power over whether Lowe goes or stays. So it's really just words on the wind either way. It just doesn't matter what MacT says about his boss.

#9 Ed in Edmonton
January 11 2014, 02:53PM

The Boys on the Bus are totally loyal to one another if nothing else. One might even conclude loyal to a fault.

#10 Mason Storm
January 11 2014, 05:30PM

@Tim in Kelowna

Let's hope the Oilers get to a Red Sox like team quicker than the Red Sox. I don't think I can last another 70 years waiting for them to figure it out.

#11 Taylor Gang
January 11 2014, 02:36PM

Lowe will be gone eventually. Considering less people show up to the games every year, Katz will start to sweat a little and finally realize that Lowe is just awful.

#12 brad
January 11 2014, 05:06PM
Oliveoiler wrote:

A few relevant questions.......

1 Did Robin Brownlee ever play NHL hockey? 2 Did Robin Brownlee ever coach or manage an NHL team? 3 Does Robin Brownlee have a degree in business management? 4 What did Robin Brownlee do in the 20 odd years before 1989 when he became a hockey writer? 5 Just who IS Robin Brownlee? - oh, right, another armchair coach/critic, just like the rest of us.

Mr. Lowe how many log-ins do you have for here?

#13 DigDeepNBleedBlue
January 11 2014, 02:32PM

MacT is Gold!

That's all that really needs to be said....

#14 big slick
January 11 2014, 05:35PM

The last year for Lowe has not been good from a customer relations perspective.

I know a thing or two about winning...2 teir fans...ect.

Now MacT yelling at a fan...What is the saying from your MBA the customer is always right?

#15 He Who Knows
January 11 2014, 03:39PM

Hey I hope you are reading this Mac T. You traded away Smid for hockey pucks to a rival team after grooming him for 7 years! Go back to TSN and do some analyzing.

#16 morgie
January 11 2014, 04:05PM
dave faulkner wrote:

Mr. Brownlee, you must have a personal vendetta against K. Lowe, you continually attack him.

Let's examine the record, were the Oilers capable of being a championship team before the salary cap was in place. I don't think so, but they were a competitive team. When the cap came into place we got Pronger and Pecca, were those bad trades? At the trade deadline we were able to get Roloson, Spacek, Samsonov, and particularly with having Pronger we almost won the cup. Was K Lowe a bad GM at that time. Could you Mr. Brownlee have foreseen that Pronger would leave along with Pecca, Spacek and Samsonov? Combine that with Horcoff having a great season and Pisani playing well as well as Moreau, we know we have to overpay UFA's and while in retrospect the deals weren't good, would you have let them walk, what would the fan base have said at that time.

Around 2008 Tambellini was hired and it wasn't until the following year, I think that the rebuild was suggested as the way to go. Did you think Tambellini was a bad hire at the time, it is certainly easy to say so in retrospect.

We have no idea at this point if MacT is the right choice but I think he deserves the chance, if he fails then rightly so the blame can be attached to K. Lowe for not getting the right General Managers, until then this continuing nonsense of hammering K Lowe, will do nothing to change the status quo unless you believe that MacT should go now.

Mr. Brownlee, give it a rest

Mr. Faulkner you sound like a Lowe apologist

Lowe is the very reason the oilers are what they are here's just a few examples:

- Mike comrie trade for Corey Freaking Perry, which got nixed at last minute because lowe asked comrie for 2.5 mill in return

- pursuing Danny Heatly and consequently missing out on signing Glencross

- Drafting Marc Pouliot instead of Zach Parise

- Getting nothing for Sheldon Souray

- Letting Brodziak go for nothing

- etc.etc

#17 Jay
January 11 2014, 05:11PM

When I hear everyone say hockey is a results driven Buisness, I assume that's a lie

#18 dave faulkner
January 11 2014, 03:16PM

Mr. Brownlee, give it a rest

#19 Rod from Viking
January 11 2014, 03:26PM

@dave faulkner

Dave Semenko is that you?

#20 Dave "Killer" Carlson
January 11 2014, 03:07PM

Totally agree with the statement that we, as fans, need to quit financially supporting the team if we want to see change. I've personally quit buying anything NHL related as a result of the idiotic lockout last season, with the exception of NHL Centre Ice so I can watch the Oilers. But I've even stopped doing that unless I have absolutely nothing else to do. Instead I've been watching other hockey - Sharks, Preds, Hawks, etc. I still follow Oilersnation devoutly but am not making special time to watch the Oilers till there is a consistent effort.

#21 gcw_rocks
January 11 2014, 03:36PM

Love how he lied about the timing of the Acton signings.

MacT answers were such as load of crap I would bet Staples bad to get the janitor in to clean up the interview room. Probably needed a big bucket.

#22 Oliveoiler
January 11 2014, 04:02PM

We are ALL armchair coaches, critics and GMs, but what do we know about running the business side of an NHL club? Diddly squat. While I truly believe KL should go, I cannot fault MacT. Compared to Tambellini, he is a breath of fresh air. He says it like it is, he doesn't dither and makes changes as soon as is humanly possible. Lets face it - would any of YOU slam your boss and admit he should go? I doubt it. It would be shooting yourself in the foot and talking your way out of a job. MacT is an Oiler through and through, just like Ryan Smyth. Be thankful we have him now instead of Mr. Dither.

#23 Jerod
January 11 2014, 04:20PM

Daryl's best friend is Kevin Lowe. What do you expect MacT to say. Any fool knows Kevin Lowe is a loser. Just look at the results. You would have to be insane to think Kevin Lowe should be employed by the Oilers

#24 -30-
January 11 2014, 04:03PM

As a former and now happily retired newsroom employee (yeah, I remember seeing you and Spec popping into the corner office over the years) here's my take on MacTavish.

What could he say except that the "appreciates" all the hard work that Lowe does. To say otherwise would be to say the least uncomfortable?

How many times over the years have we seen wholesale house cleanings in either of EJ's or The Sun's newsrooms. With every editor or managing editor it was almost guaranteed that within a couple of years the old wood was quietly replaced with new wood.

It seemed that almost every seven to ten years we would have a major change in upper management and it was almost always necessary. Editors became too comfortable or myopic or too buddy buddy and forgiving of sloppy work.

The same needs to happen with the Oilers. A major shakeup needs to occur. It's only a guess but my take on the Rexall Group is that they aren't run in the same manner as the hockey team.

Lowe needs to go no matter what his subordinates say.

-30-

#25 Tim in Kelowna
January 11 2014, 05:13PM

Robin,

I respectfully disagree with the widely held belief that as long as the building is sold out nothing will change. The Boston Red Sox are a great example. They are a storied organization that responds to failure with organizational change without seeing a dip in attendance at Fenway. Likewise, the Toronto Maple Leafs ownership didn't wait for a drop in ticket sales to fire Brian Burke.

It goes without saying that you have more inside info than any of us pleebs in The Nation, but I'm guessing that Katz is nearing the end of his rope with Lowe and company.

I was fully on board with the rebuild and I was patient, but drafting 1st overall 3 years straight and THEN potentially posting the worst season in franchise history is beyond unacceptable. I've got a sense that Katz understands that. Right now I'm a pissed off fan, but if Lowe isn't dismissed in the offseason, I'll be heading towards indifference.

#26 BloodyEyes13
January 11 2014, 03:31PM

Kevin Lowe is loyal to the Oilers brand/franchise. We need more people like Kevin Lowe in the Oiler's organization. No doubt, he's putting 110% effort in to turning this team around. I have faith that he'll get the job done.

People make such a big deal about the "Old Boys Club", but when the winning begins (and believe me, we're not far off), people will jump back on the bandwagon.

Just have a little more patience, Oiler fans. GO OILERS GO!!!

#27 Kurt
January 11 2014, 05:17PM

Talk of firing Lowe is a waste of the internet. And with all the cat youtube clips thats saying a lot.

I loathe the guy just as much as the rest (I respect his Oiler passion, but loathe the results and arrogance). BUT ranting and raving about him being fired is pointless.

Might as well write articles and comment about the weather in Edmonton turning tropical. Because its equally as likely. If that's the only way you'll be happy the better approach would be to just pick a new team to cheer for.

This team will improve by default due to the ridiculous amounts of skill it has piled up. Lowe may never be able to build a winner, but this team will be at least good soon. Then Lowe will be locked in his job until he decides to retire.

Accept it.

#28 Oiler63
January 11 2014, 07:04PM
BloodyEyes13 wrote:

Just have a little more patience, Oiler fans. GO OILERS GO!!!

Lowe certainly is loyal to the Oilers franchise but not necessarily the EDMONTON Oilers. Read the article below. When Katz visited Seattle, Lowe was there too. If I have any kind of loyalty to the city of Edmonton, I would've dissociated myself from such action. His loyalty only lies in whoever cuts his pay cheque.

#29 oilcountryforlife
January 11 2014, 08:02PM

"I read all four parts to the interview so I think I know a little something about winning" (Sorry I just couldn't resist).

What anyone who has been around semi or pro hockey players knows is that are a close lipped, quiet speaking, cliche driven, circle the wagons kinda group. The message about team is hammered home every intermission, every practice, every training camp...it is relentless, almost like brainwashing some might say. You don't turn your back on your 'team'

Any player who expresses their opinion which does not tow the party line is summarily crucified by the team, and the media who buy into this lynch mob mentality as I think they feel like they are cool because they hang out with professional athletes, oh, and it sells print. Notice how the MSM talks about players, cliches, losses, 'strategies', haven't seen any articles entitled "Fire Lowe" or "Katz, open your eyes, you dolt"

As far as MacT's comments, I call bs! I can't turn back the time it took me to read his drivel, and I don't buy any of it. I had more respect for him before I read his comments.

#30 Jofa
January 11 2014, 03:37PM

"I think we’re currently right on track to where we want to go." ... Really MacT???

For a guy who started out with some very honest responses and assessments of his team, this statement, and frankly the whole interview, seems so naive and out of touch with the reality of the team's position in this league. Behind closed doors, it feels like the Oiler brain trust, such that it is, still feel like the potential of this roster is the envy of the league.

While other GMs may want access to the sort of assets the Oilers have at their disposal, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a GM who would suggest the Oilers have built an enviable roster given the time and picks they've had.

I still feel like this ship could still be turned around with a few major trades, preferably without Lowe in the picture and getting Eakins some fresh assistant coaches who have been untouched with the past 8 yrs of losing. Wishful thinking at this point, I imagine. All we can do is hope MacT finds some good returns for the players he does move this trade deadline and beyond, and that the Smid trade isn't an indication of what we can expect from him.

#31 TayLordBalls
January 11 2014, 03:54PM

It's brilliant how owner and management have laid down a multi-year plan to create a dynasty.

There is NO WAY to trade for players to create a dynasty. It can only be assembled via the draft.

Keep that in mind as the team grows to the next level, then the level after that!

man.... its like a room full of nattering children

#32 Butters
January 11 2014, 03:47PM

The Oilers completely recycled themselves. They brought MacT and Howson back into the fold. They had an opportunity to bring in a fresh set of eyes and they declined. The fresh perspective is Eakins, but he is way too green. He may win the Jack Adams some day, or go the way of George Burnett. The latter is looking more likely to me.

#33 Brian
January 11 2014, 04:08PM

WTF is the Messier buzz about? What the hell are his credentials to do anything? I am so sick of the rampant cronyism of the Bus riders. As a GM, I'd give MacT some time. POHO? I'd fire Lowe's ass. Bucky and Smith? Get lost. But now the Moose will bring his acumen to bear on this write off team . Is he bringing his Dad like he did at the worlds a few years ago?

Travesty.

#34 Hockey mom
January 11 2014, 04:11PM

MacT seems like a decent guy . Most of us are loyal to our friends but we don't give them all jobs . MacT needs to get a staff that can help him deliver a team that works hard every game because that's what loyal fans deserve. He needs to quit defending the boys on the bus and concentrate on surrounding himself with energetic coaches that can adapt to what's on the roster now. Take the rose colored glasses off and show your free loading friends the door.

#35 Rod from Viking
January 11 2014, 04:33PM

This is an Oilers website but I would like to congratulate my neighbor Darryl Sutter who coached his 1000th NHL game last week. He has a career winning percentage of .563 and has only been below .500 three times in 15 seasons. How successful his tenure as a GM was can be debated but anyone in the know about the Flames can tell you Mr King was very involved in the decisions on contacts(remind you of another team). He is a really good guy and even though he has been able to torment me about my Oiler loyalty the last 20+ years I say I hope you win another cup before you retire to the farm.

#36 Imirik
January 11 2014, 04:46PM

When does that bus come back to pick these boys up?

#37 Robin Brownlee
January 11 2014, 03:10PM
Ed in Edmonton wrote:

Agreed.

Loyalty is an admirable trait, especially in a competitive business like the NHL. It cannot, however, trump results over the long term or you get what we're seeing here.

#38 Craig
January 11 2014, 05:27PM

If we were guaranteed to get an expansion team if Oilers where to be relocated just to get rid of the old boys club, I would be in favor and that's sad. It's really sad to because an expansion team couldn't be any worse.

#39 Rama Lama
January 11 2014, 05:39PM

Honestly when I first saw the picture I thought it was Freddy Mercury and you were doing a tribute to Queen or something.......no offence Robin.

Nice shorts.

#40 Robin Brownlee
January 11 2014, 06:14PM
Rama Lama wrote:

Nice shorts.

Mercury was a fine-looking man.

Nothing screams "stooge" like one of those sit-high baseball caps of the era -- editor's idea, not mine.

The ladies in the gym liked the shorts, just as you do.

#41 Bucknuck
January 11 2014, 03:24PM

In my mind, if MacT is as smart as he seems, and he is the one making the personnel decisions, then Firing Lowe doesn't make a bit of difference. All it would be is a sacrifice to appease angry fans.

People always want to blame someone, and Lowe is the logical choice, since he has been the one in charge. I am just not convinced it really matters, so I wouldn't put much energy into it.

#42 Mason Storm
January 11 2014, 03:48PM

MacT's job must be incredibly hard these days. Every other GM in the league knows how desperately the Oilers want to fill their obvious holes and are likely trying to bleed the Oil dry to "help" them.

#43 Brian
January 12 2014, 07:21AM
tom.MTL wrote:

You forgot one ..., CEO Ring Counting

#44 Neal
January 12 2014, 09:13AM

It wasn't hard to see Lowe's ineptness as a manager. I remember knocking it around some years back on Cult of Hockey. It was always interesting because Lowe did know what it took to win. I remember him playing a hard playoff series with broken ribs. Yet the teams he built were almost exactly the opposite - smaller, faster, perimeter players with no heart to engage or understanding of how a team works together.

It was apparent that Lowe was so blinded by Gretzky's brilliance that he formed the belief that you only need elite level talent to win. "Talent" in his mind was stick handling and skating. He was a focused man and also an arrogant one, and that was all he considered. As a result we have the present day Oilers.

Lowe should be fired, but it probably doesn't matter. I think the torch has already been passed to Mac. From everything we've seen, Mac has a different view of what it takes (even though he will publicly support Lowe). He's smarter, and has a clearer picture of building a team.

The achilles heel with him though, is his ability to control his frustration. We've seen this many times as player and coach. While I even kind of like him not suffering fools gladly, he is in a job where he's going to experience frustration like he's never seen. Can he withstand this without an erruption? Don't know. Place your bets and watch the show.

In the meantime we still are where we are; praying that Nuge et all really are getting better, and hoping for trades that work.

#45 samurai003
January 11 2014, 03:12PM

Ya, I read the article in the Journal. My take? Ass-kisser, politically replied statements. "I think we’re currently right on track to where we want to go." - HA HA HA.

How else is he supposed to publicly respond? Who's side is MacT supposed to publicly defend?

Smooch-Smooch, lick-lick. Brown-noser.

#46 Jerry
January 11 2014, 04:16PM

Fans and Management have a religious belief in Lowe. Facts are pointless to them.

#47 Maverick007
January 11 2014, 06:36PM

Hey Brownlee,

Can you change the title of this article to Loweyalty?

#48 reaperfunkss (2nd tier fan)
January 11 2014, 06:57PM
Mason Storm wrote:

One of the dumbest statement used around here.

Are you suggesting that successful GMs are handed trades and gms on poor teams are given no hope? WRONG

GM's are ALWAYS out to fleece each other whether their team is successful or not.

Quit buying into that lie. I know MacT has said it but he is just making room for his failure with excuses.

#49 PutzStew
January 11 2014, 09:41PM

Robin I would have agreed with you up until about 2 weeks ago.

Now all I have to say is....Keep Lowe,

Keep MacT,

Show more of the Katz Kid.

Play more of the Fart catchers trying not to criticizes the team.

Hire Messier too. Make him responsible for player development. I hear the you guys hated him in his last few years. He'll be great for the part in Edmonton.

In an industry and especially a team that has made no effort to hide the fact that this is a business first, and that there personal financial gain is more important then anything else.....Well at least this is entertainment that is worth watching.

I don't care who wins. Don't care who is on the ice. Won't give them any of my money.

I will be happy to be entertained by them and and what a better way to be entertained then a good old yard sale.

Lousy Excuses. Throwing guys under the bus. Guys not having a clue. You seriously can't write better scripts then this. The Oilers are Saturday Night live (The good one with Myers, Sandler and co), Epic Fails on YouTube and Gypsy Wifes all rolled in to one. And the best part is it keeps getting better.

Anyone else remember MacT saying Horcoff should have been on the 2010 team. Classic.

So screw the Oilers, Screw the NHL. If I want Hockey I'll go out and play it or watch the kids play. Just keep up the gong show because that is probably more entertaining then if this fiasco didn't happen.

Have a good night all and remember....it suppose to be just a game so who really cares. Sit back and enjoy the show.

#50 Mason Storm
January 11 2014, 06:53PM
Yardbird wrote:

Geeez you obviously don't know much about the Red Sox or anything about their recent history. Get busy and do your homework,also don't stay up late and be late for school again.

All the homework I need for this is, the Red Sox traded Babe Ruth, the best hitter in the game and didn't win a World Series for 80+ years. Comparatively, the Oilers traded Pronger, the best defenseman in the game and haven't won in 8 years.