Soak it up Marty Marincin!

Jason Strudwick
January 13 2014 08:26AM

Last week, young Oilers defender Martin Marincin was a surprise addition to Slovakia's hockey team going to Sochi for the Olympics. What a great feeling that must have been for him! The soon to be Olympian will turn twenty-two during the Olympics. The Olympics are huge for Europeans. After playing in three different European countries I can tell you people love to talk about past athletes that have represented their countries proudly. He and his family must be very excited.

Marincin has been a nice surprise for me on the back end. When you look at him on paper it is impossible not to like his height. Watching him in practice he is a nice skater, is comfortable with the puck and has a shot. But the games are where it counts.

Playing on a weak team is difficult for all the individual players. It is especially hard on the defenceman and goalies. This group finds themselves facing odd man rushes against and spending lots of time in their own end. The defence corps is always under pressure. I am not saying the D for the Oilers is not responsible for some of the issues but not having a more consistent defensive minded group of forwards makes it rough.

This makes it hard for a young d man to feel his way into the NHL.. On a stronger NHL team there are games where you find yourself standing on the offensive blue line for a whole shift as your forwards light up a weaker team in their own end. A young defenceman can get used to the speed and flow of the NHL game at a more reasonable rate. Not so on a weaker team. Most nights it can feel like you are under siege. There are times when you want to yell out "Broken Arrow" as you are being overrun!

Marincin has looked calm to me. I don't see him panic with the puck. (I thought Hunt was very nervous and jittery with the puck for the three games he was in the lineup). He seems to find the play to make quickly. With the pressure d-men get in the game today knowing what to do with the puck before you actually have it is a must. He has shown me poise, a nice asset for a young player.

The first job of defencemen is to stop the other team from scoring. In his first nine games I can only think of one time where he was really out of position that led to a goal. That is impressive. He needs to keep that up and slowly work in some of the offence we know he has.

The one area I would like to see him improve is his weight and strength. He is listed at 6'4, 188 lbs. Not enough muscle on that body. Much like our friend Wanye he needs to lock himself in a gym this summer that has a buffet included! I would expect him to play at close to 210 lbs or more three years from now. He needs to match the strength of the big bodies of NHL forwards.

I saw a play against the Penguins that really showed me this need. He did a nice job on a James Neal rush to keep him to the outside and force him behind the net. As Marincin engaged him physically Neal pushed him off with his superior strength. Nothing came of the play but a big guy like Marty needs to have the ability to respond with the same amount of strength.

Moving forward after the ten games he has played I see really no reason to change the way the Oilers are handling him. His ice time has been roughly fifteen minutes a night, a very manageable amount. He is not over-stressed or drowning so his confidence if anything is improving.

Marincin will get a great opportunity to soak up knowledge from a player who is most likely his idol and is the captain of the Slovakian Olympic team, Zdeno Chara. What a chance to learn for Marty! Chara is everything you want in a role model for a young defenceman. He is in incredible shape, he plays hard every night, he’s extremely competitive. He’s a leader who doesn't wilt under pressure and a very good defender. The list goes on and on. Marincin needs to have his eyes glued to Chara both on and off the ice during the whole tourney.

Organizations dream of the opportunities like this for their young players. For Marincin he needs to take advantage of everything he will learn from Chara, the Olympic experience and this stretch of NHL games to keep his development moving forward.

Set Your Alarms Boys

8 am practice?

Are you serious?

These words would have been uttered after Oilers players were informed of their coach's decision to practice twice last week very early.

I have never heard of any coach setting a practice time on a non-travel day at 8 am in my life! There were many reasons mentioned by Eakins as to why he made that choice. I didn't agree or buy any. This is the truth. It is a reverse curfew. It is that simple. The moment I read the tweets I knew that.

Sleep is vital for an NHL player. For many sleeping after a game does not come easy. When I played some nights I wouldn't fall asleep till three or four in the morning because I was still fired up. Maybe I would watch the game again or watch a couple of movies to settle down. It was frustrating to not to be able to sleep sooner and the lack of sleep would wear me down.

Eakins admitted earlier this season that he was surprised how difficult the travel was out here. The flights are all three hours or more after Calgary and Vancouver. It is long and late nights coming home from everywhere. Most guys can't sleep on the plane. Some come home to families that they want to spend time with so that means no naps.

At every turn sleep is slipping away. I know that when you are not rested and tired injuries are more likely to happen. It is a fact.

So with all of this knowledge is there any other reason than the one I stated above to think that at 8 am practice has benefits? No. There isn't.

I don't know if there is an issue with the night life of players on this team. My days of shooters, doing the worm and late nights are mostly behind me now. I do know that when I was a young player I enjoyed myself when the opportunity presented itself. I was smart and made sure late nights didn't hurt my games or practices. Older players showed me the way and kept me accountable.

I played with some guys who were animals and went out all the time. They showed up at practice and games and played their hearts out. It didn't affect their performance. They had long careers. I played with other guys who were puddles the couple of days after a big night out. They couldn't produce and they were out of the league quickly.

If Eakins feels some guys are not living up to his standards after a late night out I have no problem with that. As a professional hockey player that is part of the deal. If you dance to the music you need to pay the piper. Eakins and the veterans need to sit the players down and outline clearly how it needs to work.

BUT… having early practices to send or reinforce that message is not the way to do it. Eakins is actually shooting himself and his team in the foot. He is unnecessarily tiring out his team.

LET THE BOYS SLEEP!!!!

5cf6b487166aced0cd781e41bfef915e
Jason hosts the Jason Strudwick show from 9pm to 12am, weeknights on the team 1260. He is an instructor at Mount Carmel Hockey Academy and loves working with the kids. Having played over 650 games in the NHL, Jason has some great stories and unique takes on life in the NHL. He loves Slurpees and Blizzards. Dislikes baggy clothes and close talkers.
Avatar
#51 pkam
January 13 2014, 12:28PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers
Randaman wrote:

We will not be getting Ekblad!! We will finish ahead of Buffalo, Calgary, Florida. He will not be available at 4. PERIOD!! We will have to trade as no FA will want to come to this joke of the NHL. PERIOD!!! I'm not negative, just a realist.

I doubt we will finish ahead of Panthers. They are 6 pts ahead of us and have 3 games in hand, and compete in the weaker East conference.

Buffalo are 4 pts behind us and have 4 games in hand. Assume they can get just 2 pts out of the possible 8, they will be 2 pts behind us after the 4 games. And with easier west opponents for the majority of the remining 34 games, it will be a dog fight in the standing between us.

Calgary finally falls back to reality. But they are still 1 pt ahead of us and 3 games in hand.

I expect these 3 teams to finish last, the standing will be anyone's guess. I believe I am more realistic than you.

Avatar
#52 rob f
January 13 2014, 12:38PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
31
cheers
Byron wrote:

What a joke....my 8 year old has 6am practices ..my wife gets up at 5:05 so she can get to the hospital in time to start her 12 hour shift at 6:30..and as for your comments about not being able to sleep after games..most of these guys fall asleep in the first intermission. The more they loose the harder they should work period.........

your kids at hockey and school, the wife's at work, youre at home at 9:44 am posting on oilersnation.....and one hand internet surfing.....

sign me up

Avatar
#53 cubsfan
January 13 2014, 12:48PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

Im not that upset about 8 am practice

The Marines and our armed forces get up earlier

They get the job done......Oorah!!!!

Or.....Hooah (for our Canadian men and women)

Avatar
#54 light yagumi
January 13 2014, 12:49PM
Trash it!
19
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

i think eakins is doing the right thing. i know some people who live the club/night life in edmonton and its common knowledge now that hall and ebs like their cocaine.

Avatar
#55 BingBong
January 13 2014, 12:57PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

The 8am practices just read like a reverse curew to me; but one that at least still let's the guys party if they want. They jsut have to be smart enough to make it the practice on time. I see no problem with it.

Avatar
#56 nunyour
January 13 2014, 12:58PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

How long is practice,2 hours,that leaves 22 hours to sleep.

Avatar
#57 Old Timer
January 13 2014, 01:00PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers

So far I've liked 90% of what I've seen of Marty Marincin. He seems to be in good position most of the time an uses his stick well. If he adds 20 lbs over the next couple of years, he could be top 4.

Also I have always wondered why teams don't practice in the evenings on non game days. If most of the games are at 7:30 PM why not have practices then?

Avatar
#58 The Real Scuba Steve
January 13 2014, 01:08PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers
pkam wrote:

I doubt we will finish ahead of Panthers. They are 6 pts ahead of us and have 3 games in hand, and compete in the weaker East conference.

Buffalo are 4 pts behind us and have 4 games in hand. Assume they can get just 2 pts out of the possible 8, they will be 2 pts behind us after the 4 games. And with easier west opponents for the majority of the remining 34 games, it will be a dog fight in the standing between us.

Calgary finally falls back to reality. But they are still 1 pt ahead of us and 3 games in hand.

I expect these 3 teams to finish last, the standing will be anyone's guess. I believe I am more realistic than you.

Hey! have some faith in your Oilers, we can still lose tops.

Avatar
#59 pkam
January 13 2014, 01:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Old Timer wrote:

So far I've liked 90% of what I've seen of Marty Marincin. He seems to be in good position most of the time an uses his stick well. If he adds 20 lbs over the next couple of years, he could be top 4.

Also I have always wondered why teams don't practice in the evenings on non game days. If most of the games are at 7:30 PM why not have practices then?

I can think of at least 2 reasons.

1st, the players, like us, have family and friends that they want to spend sometime with. And these people usually are busy during the day and free at evening and nights. So it will be too cruel to take away their last chance to have social time with their family and friends.

2nd, the arena is likely to have other events and functions going on in the evening than in the morning.

Avatar
#60 pkam
January 13 2014, 01:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
The Real Scuba Steve wrote:

Hey! have some faith in your Oilers, we can still lose tops.

Actually, I do. Just not this year.

Playoff in 2015-16, cup contender in 2017-18. And this was my belief since 2010.

Avatar
#61 Ivan Drago
January 13 2014, 01:24PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
18
cheers
light yagumi wrote:

i think eakins is doing the right thing. i know some people who live the club/night life in edmonton and its common knowledge now that hall and ebs like their cocaine.

It's also common knowledge that posts like yours are made by stupid ppl. Did you also know that everything you read on the internet is true?

Avatar
#62 jr_christ
January 13 2014, 01:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

Hey... maybe the team will keep losing and Eakins will be promoted to VPOHO.

Avatar
#63 jdubbs
January 13 2014, 01:28PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
13
cheers

i didn't hear of one player complain about early practices on the record or off. it seems to me the only people complaining about it has been the media.

and most of the media complaining about it have been ex-players on SN and TSN and radio. If you have some inside info on players rebelling against early morning practices then write on that please.

Avatar
#65 The Real Scuba Steve
January 13 2014, 01:38PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
pkam wrote:

Actually, I do. Just not this year.

Playoff in 2015-16, cup contender in 2017-18. And this was my belief since 2010.

That's was pretty much my prediction too, but now who knows.

Avatar
#66 pkam
January 13 2014, 01:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
jdubbs wrote:

i didn't hear of one player complain about early practices on the record or off. it seems to me the only people complaining about it has been the media.

and most of the media complaining about it have been ex-players on SN and TSN and radio. If you have some inside info on players rebelling against early morning practices then write on that please.

Perhaps they are having hard time to wake up at 6:00 in the morning to report the early practice after partying the night before?

Avatar
#69 pkam
January 13 2014, 01:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
The Real Scuba Steve wrote:

That's was pretty much my prediction too, but now who knows.

Have faith, just don't be unrealistic, like believing the Oilers will finish above the bottom 3 this year.

Playoff in 2015-16 is still 2 years away, not completely unrealistic.

Avatar
#72 Zarny
January 13 2014, 01:58PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
John Chambers wrote:

There's a possibility that the Oilers future defense corps stacks up something like this:

Nurse - Ekblad

Marincin - Schultz

Klefbom - Gernat?? Simpson??

That would be worth getting excited about.

If only we had dynamic scoring forwards. Oh wait!

First, Ekblad will go 1st or 2nd and the Oilers won't be drafting that high.

Second, aside from Marincin's 10 games Schultz is the only D with any NHL experience on your list...all 88 games worth.

That's insane. We've seen the problems of playing all of the young F together while they learn a 200 ft game. An entire D core of rookies and players with less than 200 games experience would be a disaster.

If this D core is the Oilers' plan they'll lose for another 5 years.

Avatar
#73 TigerUnderGlass
January 13 2014, 02:01PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
20
cheers
Jason Strudwick wrote:

Does your job require you to make sure your body is in incredible shape and as close to 100%to perform against the best athletes in the world? I bet if you are a little sluggish you still have a good chance of doing ok a work. That isn't the case in the NHL. You comparision doesn't make any sense.

Why don't you try this argument with the thousands of high level amateur athletes and Olympians globally who train daily at the crack of dawn and somehow thrive. Why does getting paid to play mean you suddenly have to sleep in all morning?

The idea that 8:00 practice is too early to get enough sleep is absurd.

Avatar
#74 Randaman
January 13 2014, 02:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Frenchy wrote:

If you're a realist what makes you think we'll pass calgary and Florida? Doesn't sound realistic to me

Well, if anybody can find a way to screw up a sure thing, It's the Oilers. That is fact. Even if we don't pass Florida as Pkam suggests Ekblad will not be there at 3. We have to trade Eberle + to get a #1 or #2 D man here pronto!

Avatar
#75 Randaman
January 13 2014, 02:11PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Zarny wrote:

First, Ekblad will go 1st or 2nd and the Oilers won't be drafting that high.

Second, aside from Marincin's 10 games Schultz is the only D with any NHL experience on your list...all 88 games worth.

That's insane. We've seen the problems of playing all of the young F together while they learn a 200 ft game. An entire D core of rookies and players with less than 200 games experience would be a disaster.

If this D core is the Oilers' plan they'll lose for another 5 years.

This.

Avatar
#76 Oilbaron
January 13 2014, 02:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

If Marty can shore up his game with experience and add some weight he looks like a potential top 4 D. Love the way he supports the rush

Avatar
#77 Zarny
January 13 2014, 02:21PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers
TigerUnderGlass wrote:

Why don't you try this argument with the thousands of high level amateur athletes and Olympians globally who train daily at the crack of dawn and somehow thrive. Why does getting paid to play mean you suddenly have to sleep in all morning?

The idea that 8:00 practice is too early to get enough sleep is absurd.

The only problem with your argument is that those thousands of high level amateur athletes and Olympians don't hold their competitions from 7-10 pm at night.

By the time players are done changing, riding the bike for 30 min after a game to cool down and any required physical therapy most don't get home from games till after midnight and you're usually still to jacked up from playing to get to sleep for another 1-2 hours.

You simply are not comparing apples to apples.

Tell me...how many nurses or night shift workers who don't get home and to sleep till 2-3 am get up by 6 am.

The answer is none.

Avatar
#78 Word
January 13 2014, 02:31PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers
-30- wrote:

The Ranch? LOL Nope. How about The Rack?

Or so says my first year university daughter who has been hit on by a couple of hockey millionaires there. LOL

Fire Kevin Lowe!

BTW she HATES hockey and didn't accept the drinks. :)

And she's never lied to her daddy either.

Avatar
#79 Old Timer
January 13 2014, 02:45PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
pkam wrote:

I can think of at least 2 reasons.

1st, the players, like us, have family and friends that they want to spend sometime with. And these people usually are busy during the day and free at evening and nights. So it will be too cruel to take away their last chance to have social time with their family and friends.

2nd, the arena is likely to have other events and functions going on in the evening than in the morning.

The players have all day to spend with family and most of their friends are hockey players. Many people have to work odd hours that don't coincide with their friends or family and get paid a heck of a lot less to do it.

At the rate these players get paid, they shouldn't complain about anything. If they don't like the hours then get a real job.

And boohoo if you don't get enough sleep. Who's fault is that?

Avatar
#80 Old Timer
January 13 2014, 02:48PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
pkam wrote:

I can think of at least 2 reasons.

1st, the players, like us, have family and friends that they want to spend sometime with. And these people usually are busy during the day and free at evening and nights. So it will be too cruel to take away their last chance to have social time with their family and friends.

2nd, the arena is likely to have other events and functions going on in the evening than in the morning.

Also there are plenty of arenas in town. They don't always have to use Rexall

Avatar
#81 TigerUnderGlass
January 13 2014, 02:51PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Zarny wrote:

The only problem with your argument is that those thousands of high level amateur athletes and Olympians don't hold their competitions from 7-10 pm at night.

By the time players are done changing, riding the bike for 30 min after a game to cool down and any required physical therapy most don't get home from games till after midnight and you're usually still to jacked up from playing to get to sleep for another 1-2 hours.

You simply are not comparing apples to apples.

Tell me...how many nurses or night shift workers who don't get home and to sleep till 2-3 am get up by 6 am.

The answer is none.

No, they don't. It isn't apples to apples. Instead they often hold down day jobs AND go to school AND train....yet somehow maintain peak condition.

There is no reasonable argument that 8:00 is too early for a practice, especially when it's a rare event.

Avatar
#82 Rob...
January 13 2014, 02:56PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers
light yagumi wrote:

i think eakins is doing the right thing. i know some people who live the club/night life in edmonton and its common knowledge now that hall and ebs like their cocaine.

~Like in the dynasty years, this is only a 'problem' because they're losing. Give me a couple new Stanley Cups and I couldn't care less if they were snorting ground up orphans.~

Avatar
#83 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
January 13 2014, 03:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Rob...

Ground up orphans... HA.

Avatar
#84 pkam
January 13 2014, 03:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
Zarny wrote:

First, Ekblad will go 1st or 2nd and the Oilers won't be drafting that high.

Second, aside from Marincin's 10 games Schultz is the only D with any NHL experience on your list...all 88 games worth.

That's insane. We've seen the problems of playing all of the young F together while they learn a 200 ft game. An entire D core of rookies and players with less than 200 games experience would be a disaster.

If this D core is the Oilers' plan they'll lose for another 5 years.

I believe Calgary will finish last. Sabres and us will be battling for 2nd and 3rd last. So there is 50% chance that we will finish 2nd last.

Mid term ranking just came out today and Ekblad is ranked 3rd. As far as I remember, Seth Jones never ranked 3rd and was 1st since mid term ranking last year. If Jones can go 4th, what makes you think Ekblad can't go after 2nd?

I am not saying Ekblad will not go 1st and 2nd, but chances are he may not.

Avatar
#85 pkam
January 13 2014, 03:32PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Old Timer wrote:

The players have all day to spend with family and most of their friends are hockey players. Many people have to work odd hours that don't coincide with their friends or family and get paid a heck of a lot less to do it.

At the rate these players get paid, they shouldn't complain about anything. If they don't like the hours then get a real job.

And boohoo if you don't get enough sleep. Who's fault is that?

I guess their kids have no school and their wife's friends are all hockey players as well.

People has to work odd hours because there is need. If people won't get sick or hurt in the evening, I don't see why we need doctors and nurses to work in the evening.

Hockey players do play most of the games in evening because of the nature of the business, But is there real need for hockey players to practice in the evening?

And it is not just the players, but coaches, equipment staffs etc. Most of their wife have to work during the day.

Avatar
#86 Spydyr
January 13 2014, 03:36PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

Guess those 8am practises make them sleep through the second period most games.

Avatar
#87 Bender
January 13 2014, 03:39PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

I understand Stud's line of thinking regarding the early practices, and let me say I haven't been a fan of allot of what Eakins has been doing.......buuuuuut what if the coaching staff has tried other things and some of the players still aren't getting the message? It could be a matter of Eakins and company saying don't call my bluff. Then again he could just be the next Joseph Stalin.

Avatar
#88 Ed in Edmonton
January 13 2014, 03:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Jason Strudwick wrote:

Trust me players rarely tell the media anything. You keep everything internal.

I agree that interviews with players are almost always of no particular interest as they consist of pat questions and pat answers. Players seem to always have their guard up ( I can't really blame them)to be sure to not say anything out of line that might get them into trouble.

Which brings me to that nagging little voice in the back of my head asking if Smid's comment " Some are saying that things can't get any worse are wrong, this could still get worse" was the real reason he was sent packing.

WRT to 8:00 Am practices. There seems to be a sentiment out there that 8:00 is good because it is punishing these players for a bad year. I think this is wrong headed on many levels, most of all that the players need to be punished. It is not the player's fault they are not good enough at playing hockey to win NHL games on a consistent basis. Having said that, practices should scheduled at whatever time enhances the team's chance of winning and not because a lot of people have to work at a particular time. If a team plays in Las Vegas should they practice at 3:00 AM?

Avatar
#89 Johnnydapunk
January 13 2014, 03:58PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
14
cheers
light yagumi wrote:

i think eakins is doing the right thing. i know some people who live the club/night life in edmonton and its common knowledge now that hall and ebs like their cocaine.

I'm gonna be the fun police here and maybe be trashed for saying this, but saying things like that may be considered defamation and can get you sued. Not saying that will, but when you make statements like that, you have to be pretty careful. Anyways I'm just saying that as a polite warning.

Avatar
#90 james_dean
January 13 2014, 04:11PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

8 am? No big deal for $30 000 a week

Premadonnas

Avatar
#91 LOIL99
January 13 2014, 04:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

I am not sure why Edmonton fans and media seem to think Ekblad will likely be available to us. EVEN IF we finished last, there is only a 25% chance that we pick 1st overall after the lottery. Likely Calgary/Buff will finish 29/30, there is little doubt about that, so the only way we get Ekblad, is if he slips to 3 or later. That is quite unlikely.

Avatar
#92 Johnnydapunk
January 13 2014, 04:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

But as for this whole 8 am practise "debate" I don't see how big of an issue it really is, again I have never been an NHLer so naturally I am completely sure. But I do understand a bit about sporting science and I'm sure that every aspect of their rest and work is being monitored on a fairly regular basis. And as they have all the means in the world to ensure that they do get proper rest and all the nutrition and supplements they need to perform at the highest level, I just can't see how horrible waking up at silly o'clock would be when you also have a good part of your day done as a result.

Stroud wicks argument that most people don't have to compete at the highest level and the players do so they can't feel sluggish is also a bit skewed as most people don't have teams of doctors making sure everything is close to perfect, as well as most don't have the means to make sure that their rest is as restful as possible. I don't think most people can go out and buy the perfect bed and pillows that suits their body types and all of those things to make sure they get rest either.

I would think that with every resource available to NHL players that they could hold practises at 3 am if needed and be able to adjust their body clocks to it.

I hope I'm not implying in any way that they have it "easy" as it is a heck of a commitment to make it at that level and everything, and a monster sacrifice. But I don't think there should be any huge complaints about morning practice times, obviously their normal practise times weren't helping them win, it's not like it can get much worse, can it? (Please don't tell me it can get worse.....)

Avatar
#93 Ed in Edmonton
January 13 2014, 04:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Johnnydapunk wrote:

But as for this whole 8 am practise "debate" I don't see how big of an issue it really is, again I have never been an NHLer so naturally I am completely sure. But I do understand a bit about sporting science and I'm sure that every aspect of their rest and work is being monitored on a fairly regular basis. And as they have all the means in the world to ensure that they do get proper rest and all the nutrition and supplements they need to perform at the highest level, I just can't see how horrible waking up at silly o'clock would be when you also have a good part of your day done as a result.

Stroud wicks argument that most people don't have to compete at the highest level and the players do so they can't feel sluggish is also a bit skewed as most people don't have teams of doctors making sure everything is close to perfect, as well as most don't have the means to make sure that their rest is as restful as possible. I don't think most people can go out and buy the perfect bed and pillows that suits their body types and all of those things to make sure they get rest either.

I would think that with every resource available to NHL players that they could hold practises at 3 am if needed and be able to adjust their body clocks to it.

I hope I'm not implying in any way that they have it "easy" as it is a heck of a commitment to make it at that level and everything, and a monster sacrifice. But I don't think there should be any huge complaints about morning practice times, obviously their normal practise times weren't helping them win, it's not like it can get much worse, can it? (Please don't tell me it can get worse.....)

However, if you (Eakins) are going to do something like 8:00 am practices you should have a good reason. i.e it will give us a better chance of winning because of ..... But to say we are doing it because a lot of people start their work day at this time is just strange.

Avatar
#94 light yagumi
January 13 2014, 04:44PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Johnnydapunk wrote:

I'm gonna be the fun police here and maybe be trashed for saying this, but saying things like that may be considered defamation and can get you sued. Not saying that will, but when you make statements like that, you have to be pretty careful. Anyways I'm just saying that as a polite warning.

thanks for the warning but defamation is when you make something up. i know this is 100% true. the only reason i bring it up is because we lose so much. I would just like it to get back to the players somehow so that they realize the city is beginning to notice. im no expert but cocaine in their systems isnt helping the team.

at least make the playoffs and i wont really care.

Avatar
#95 Rama Lama
January 13 2014, 04:48PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
TigerUnderGlass wrote:

Why don't you try this argument with the thousands of high level amateur athletes and Olympians globally who train daily at the crack of dawn and somehow thrive. Why does getting paid to play mean you suddenly have to sleep in all morning?

The idea that 8:00 practice is too early to get enough sleep is absurd.

Why don't you try playing a game ( hockey that is) that ends at 10:30 and then travel home, eat, and then prepare to wake at 6:00 am.

I bet if you are lucky you would not get to sleep any earlier than 2:00 am.

All the people that are suggesting that because these are millionaires athletes, somehow they do not need their sleep.........stupid and ridiculous argument!

Avatar
#96 ThatButthurtOilersFan
January 13 2014, 04:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

Found this gem of Strudsy fighting Sutherby. Oh, the irony. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVLurC2rjRc

Avatar
#97 ThatButthurtOilersFan
January 13 2014, 04:57PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Jordan Nugent-Hallkins wrote:

Draft Ekblad. If he's gone, go for that Draisatl kid. Last year he got 58 points in 64 games in the Dub, this year he's at 35 games played and is already at 54 points. 6'2", 208 lbs at 18. Could be just what the doctor ordered for our 2C position.

You know, I was positive we should trade the first rounder if we couldn't get Ekblad, but after doing my research on Draisatl he looks like an excellent fit for 2C, like you said. Big kid, lots of heart, hits, good defensively minded. It's the exact opposite of Gagner. Perfect.

Avatar
#98 Johnnydapunk
January 13 2014, 05:01PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Ed in Edmonton wrote:

However, if you (Eakins) are going to do something like 8:00 am practices you should have a good reason. i.e it will give us a better chance of winning because of ..... But to say we are doing it because a lot of people start their work day at this time is just strange.

I agree what he has said the reasoning may be is odd, but perhaps there is something more to it behind closed doors, and saying that it is supposed to help the players appreciate it more or so players can relate or whatever sounds a bit PR-ey to me and just sounds good to the casual fan.

I'm sure there's loads of things that are happening behind the doors that we are unaware of, and this is probably one of many.

Avatar
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
james_dean wrote:

8 am? No big deal for $30 000 a week

Premadonnas

Premadonnas???

What does Diana Ross, Cher or even Petula Clark have to do with hockey???

Avatar
#100 nick
January 13 2014, 09:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Jason Strudwick wrote:

Since the team has got healthy their record has been around .500. That is about where I saw them finishing. There are weaknesses on this team that are hard to coach around. How many coaches need to be fired before that is fixed?

One to many Jason, Ralph Kruger should not have been fired. He had this team trending the right way but MacTavish's ego got in the way and he made a very poor decision. Eakins will last at the most two years that is painfully obvious. The guy is an egomaniac. He will be back doing his marathons soon enough thank god.

Comments are closed for this article.