DUBNYK TRADED TO PREDS... ACQUIRE SCRIVENS

Jason Gregor
January 15 2014 01:10PM

The Oilers have traded Devan Dubnyk to the Nashville Predators for centre/winger Matt Hendricks.

Hendricks is in the first of a four-year deal that pays him $1.85 million.

Dubnyk will be a UFA at the end of the season.

Hendricks is a 4th line guy who kills penalties.

He will be their 4th line centre, maybe winger, for the foreseeable future, so clearly the organization isn't that high on Anton Lander. Lander needs to improve his footspeed. I know some won't like Hendricks' contract, and that is fair, but if the cap keeps going up it won't look as bad as it does today. He doesn't bring any offence, however, so in two years it could look really bad. A gamble for sure.

He plays the 2nd most PK minutes of any Nashville forward, so expect him to play a lot on the PK here. The Preds PK is currently 13th.

Thoughts?

According to Bob McKenzie the Oilers have acquired Edmonton native Ben Scrivens from LA for a 3rd round pick as well.

So Hendricks and Scrivens for Dubnyk and a 3rd...

Thoughts?

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
One of Canada's most versatile sports personalities. Jason hosts The Jason Gregor Show, weekdays from 2 to 6 p.m., on TSN 1260, and he writes a column every Monday in the Edmonton Journal. You can follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/JasonGregor
Avatar
#101 Spydyr
January 15 2014, 02:10PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
31
cheers
reaperfunkss (2nd tier fan) wrote:

Homer simpsons quote always reminds me of the Oilers

"How come things that happen to dumb people always happen to me?"

Lowe should get that tattood on his back.

So Katz can read it?

Avatar
#102 Oilcruzer
January 15 2014, 02:10PM
Trash it!
13
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

Nice to see these brave bold moves. I am now at peace.

Avatar
#103 bwar
January 15 2014, 02:10PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers
Spydyr wrote:

So now no second or third round pick next draft.Guess the first will be traded too.Who needs to draft.....lol

I would much rather have NHL players than draft picks. As long as we get good return, trade all the draft picks.

Avatar
#104 reaperfunkss (2nd tier fan)
January 15 2014, 02:12PM
Trash it!
13
trashes
Cheers
13
cheers
Zarny wrote:

Let's keep this real.

There is no "the problem" in Edm.

There are problems...plural. And one of them is who is playing on the 4th line. Most of them aren't bona fide NHL players.

I would agree the blueline is a more acute problem; but the answer is no...MacT couldn't get a better D in a trade for Dubnyk because no one was willing to give up a better D for Dubnyk.

maybe, but what the Oilers are doing is akin to repainting a car then hammering out the dents. There are reasons you need to do things in a certain order.

This management group clearly has no plan to follow. No blueprint on what they are doing. they are just flying by the seat of their pants and that is never a good stragety but it is the path they have followed for the last 13 years

Avatar
#105 Spydyr
January 15 2014, 02:12PM
Trash it!
21
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Tikkanese wrote:

2nd rounders have a 10% chance of becoming regular NHLers, let alone "good players". 3rd rounders are even less. Nice try though.

I will 10% over 0% all day long.

Nice try though.

Avatar
#106 Zarny
January 15 2014, 02:14PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
25
cheers
Spydyr wrote:

Tell that to Sam Pollock the GM that won 12 Stanley cups.

Here is one story:

Among one of his shrewdest moves, was a series of trades in which the Canadiens obtained the first overall pick in the 1971 NHL Entry Draft, the year in which Guy Lafleur would be eligible. It appeared as if the first overall selection would be held by the California Golden Seals so he persuaded Seals owner Charlie Finley to trade the Seals' pick and François Lacombe in return for Montreal's first round pick and a veteran Ernie Hicke. However, during the 1970-71 season, the Los Angeles Kings were playing even more poorly than the hapless California Seals. The Kings were in danger of "beating" the Seals out for last place, and if this happened Pollock would lose his first overall pick. Pollock cleverly traded the aging but still valuable Ralph Backstrom to the Kings for two insignificant players. Backstrom's presence lifted the Kings out of last place, the Seals finished at the bottom, granting the Habs the first pick. Pollock hesitated between Lafleur and Marcel Dionne, but chose Lafleur with his overall no.1 pick.

Now that is a GM.

And go tell that Chicago, Boston, Pit, LA and Detroit who have all traded picks and prospects for proven NHLers over recent years and won the Stanley Cup.

And one story from 40 years ago in a much different era doens't have a lot of bearing in 2014.

Avatar
#107 reaperfunkss (2nd tier fan)
January 15 2014, 02:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Bryan in SK wrote:

Well, these moves are more bold than I've come to expect in the past several years. I think we are marginally better now than we were this morning.

I still wonder, however, about the impact that our goalie coach is having on our guys, and whether Chabot is the right guy to move these guys forward (or at least sustain what they bring when they get here.)

Best of wishes to you, Devan! May you shutout the Canucks and Leafs every time, and may you always give up 8 against the Oilers!

The Oil should know where to shoot on him

Avatar
#108 Sketchy
January 15 2014, 02:14PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers
reaperfunkss (2nd tier fan) wrote:

maybe, but what the Oilers are doing is akin to repainting a car then hammering out the dents. There are reasons you need to do things in a certain order.

This management group clearly has no plan to follow. No blueprint on what they are doing. they are just flying by the seat of their pants and that is never a good stragety but it is the path they have followed for the last 13 years

You mean slowly building from the wings in isnt the way to do it???

Avatar
#109 Tikkanese
January 15 2014, 02:15PM
Trash it!
10
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
Spydyr wrote:

I will 10% over 0% all day long.

Nice try though.

You are saying that Scrivens is 0% an NHL'er? Nice try though.

Avatar
#110 ZappBrannigan
January 15 2014, 02:18PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
29
cheers

Scrivens for Dubnyk Hendricks for a 3rd round pick

That's a win.

Avatar
#111 Zarny
January 15 2014, 02:19PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
reaperfunkss (2nd tier fan) wrote:

maybe, but what the Oilers are doing is akin to repainting a car then hammering out the dents. There are reasons you need to do things in a certain order.

This management group clearly has no plan to follow. No blueprint on what they are doing. they are just flying by the seat of their pants and that is never a good stragety but it is the path they have followed for the last 13 years

Actually no you don't have to do things in a certain order as long as you get to your destination.

Some paths are easier than others though.

Avatar
#112 pkam
January 15 2014, 02:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
Spydyr wrote:

Tell that to Sam Pollock the GM that won 12 Stanley cups.

Here is one story:

Among one of his shrewdest moves, was a series of trades in which the Canadiens obtained the first overall pick in the 1971 NHL Entry Draft, the year in which Guy Lafleur would be eligible. It appeared as if the first overall selection would be held by the California Golden Seals so he persuaded Seals owner Charlie Finley to trade the Seals' pick and François Lacombe in return for Montreal's first round pick and a veteran Ernie Hicke. However, during the 1970-71 season, the Los Angeles Kings were playing even more poorly than the hapless California Seals. The Kings were in danger of "beating" the Seals out for last place, and if this happened Pollock would lose his first overall pick. Pollock cleverly traded the aging but still valuable Ralph Backstrom to the Kings for two insignificant players. Backstrom's presence lifted the Kings out of last place, the Seals finished at the bottom, granting the Habs the first pick. Pollock hesitated between Lafleur and Marcel Dionne, but chose Lafleur with his overall no.1 pick.

Now that is a GM.

Are you suggesting the Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli was not smart enough because he should have tried to trade us a couple of veteran players to help us win some games so the Leafs could finish last and they can get Hall?

Avatar
#113 Fresh Mess
January 15 2014, 02:23PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers

I like these moves.

Avatar
#114 Ed in Edmoton
January 15 2014, 02:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

It will be interesting to see the take on today's moves by the Edmonton sports media. The guys who have been preaching patience all year. MacT has clearly stated he has no more patience for Dubby of Ladner.

Avatar
#115 Soccer Steve
January 15 2014, 02:24PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

What speaks loudest to me here is the fact that Dubnyk was pruned and schooled over many, many years with the hope and foresight that he would be the Oilers starting goalie.

Instead, he was traded for a bit part in the middle of January - the dead-zone for NHL trades.

I'm not debating the merit of the trade because time will tell. What I am saying is that how come it took this long for the Oilers to move on from him? The posters on this very website knew Dubnyk was a bust two seasons ago.

Avatar
#116 Randaman
January 15 2014, 02:24PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
17
cheers

More size, grit, PK. What more did you expect after Dubnyk imploded this year?? I also think Scrivens will surprise all the negative Nellies here. Hope is all I have left and I am clinging to that.

Avatar
#117 G-Unit
January 15 2014, 02:26PM
Trash it!
19
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

Dubnyk for Mike Brown. That's a great trade, we have been needing a guy like that since we traded Mike Brown for a bag of pucks... Wait a minute. Bold moves, maybe we can find a decent #6 d man that blocks shots and knows how to ring a puck off the glass. S-M-I-D If management thinks that guys like Hendrix or Scrivens will get us out of the cellar they are dreaming. Rubber Boots for Mayor. Just like in the business world, if you can't fire a problem you move them up.

Avatar
#118 Reg Dunlop
January 15 2014, 02:27PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
ZappBrannigan wrote:

Scrivens for Dubnyk Hendricks for a 3rd round pick

That's a win.

You may be right about that. A win is always a good thing. But more importantly from oil mgmt. perspective it is a distraction, shifting attention away from the real problems here that are infinitely more difficult to address.

Avatar
#119 Slanto
January 15 2014, 02:27PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

I guess we get a big win vs Nashville Eh?

Avatar
#120 G-Unit
January 15 2014, 02:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers
Zarny wrote:

Actually no you don't have to do things in a certain order as long as you get to your destination.

Some paths are easier than others though.

Maybe the management team is also playing the swarm.

Avatar
#121 Lochenzo
January 15 2014, 02:34PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

Ben Scrivens is a UFA at the end of the year, but it's still worth the pick for me. I think the Oilers should be looking at a platoon situation next year. They can ill afford another collapse in the crease at the start of next year. So say the Oil sign one of Fasth, Elliot or Halak over the summer. Fasth has never been THE GUY in the NHL and Elliot and Halak have been inconsistent in the past, thus why St Louis has always kept them both.

We can watch Scrivens the rest of the year and see if he is one of the two goalies we want next year.

Avatar
#122 KenL
January 15 2014, 02:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
19
cheers
They're $hittie wrote:

so dubnyks problem was he stopped making commercials, Eberles is he is making to many.

Duby kept bringing the wrong gloves to work. That was his problem!

Avatar
#123 Zarny
January 15 2014, 02:39PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers
G-Unit wrote:

Dubnyk for Mike Brown. That's a great trade, we have been needing a guy like that since we traded Mike Brown for a bag of pucks... Wait a minute. Bold moves, maybe we can find a decent #6 d man that blocks shots and knows how to ring a puck off the glass. S-M-I-D If management thinks that guys like Hendrix or Scrivens will get us out of the cellar they are dreaming. Rubber Boots for Mayor. Just like in the business world, if you can't fire a problem you move them up.

No management doesn't think Hendricks (learn to spell) or Scrivens are THE answer.

Not every trade is a bold move.

Avatar
#124 Ricky
January 15 2014, 02:42PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

Wait and see how Ben Scrivens does without D. I'm sure he will be just as bad as the rest of the goalies.

This gives Oiler fans something to talk about because the season is over. These are really nothing moves.

Avatar
#125 pkam
January 15 2014, 02:45PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Spydyr wrote:

I will 10% over 0% all day long.

Nice try though.

Petry is a 2nd rounder, isn't he? So Petry will never be an NHL regular?

Pitlick and Marincin are also 2nd rounders. So none of these two will ever be an NHL regulars?

I think we have about 10 2nd round picks since 2004 (last 10 years), if we can have more than 1, it is better than 10%.

Looks like we will have at least 2, probably 3. And we haven't counted the picks of 2011, 2012, and 2013.

Avatar
#126 reaperfunkss (2nd tier fan)
January 15 2014, 02:45PM
Trash it!
10
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Zarny wrote:

No management doesn't think Hendricks (learn to spell) or Scrivens are THE answer.

Not every trade is a bold move.

So the players we got back are pointless? Then why make these moves?

Avatar
#127 Jeffff
January 15 2014, 02:47PM
Trash it!
10
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

Ben Scrivens is going from the best defense in the league to the worst. His confidence will be shattered and he will be worth nothing.

Avatar
#128 ghostofberanek
January 15 2014, 02:48PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers

Holy cow, can we get over the "bold move" thing already? MacTavish has done a fine job, given what he had to work with. His "bold moves" statement was made before he truly understood the difficulty in making a bold move.

I like the moves today, his decisions seem to be very careful and calculated. Even the best GM's make a boneheaded move now and then. His worst move was to sign Gagner to that contract, but the Perron deal was pure brilliance. I trust MacTavish all the way.

Avatar
#129 Zarny
January 15 2014, 02:48PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
G-Unit wrote:

Maybe the management team is also playing the swarm.

Haha...probably not.

Many like to compare the Oilers rebuild to Pit, Chi etc.

So what are the differences? The high 1st round draft picks? Nope. They need to improve their 200 ft game just like Crosby, Malkin, Toews and Kane did but they are basically what you'd expect.

The difference is no Keith or Seabrook or Gonchar or Letang. No Niemi or Crawford or Fleury etc.

The difference is everything that surrounds the 1st round picks.

Why is that? Part of the answer is certainly management. To date they haven't drafted and/or developed those players and/or have refused to the pay the price to get them in trades.

Part of the answer however, and I know this won't be popular, is Edmonton. The city.

You can criticize Lowe and MacT etc all you want, but I think it's foolish for anyone to think Holland or Chiarelli or anyone would have better luck convincing the players the Oilers need to sign in Edm.

Avatar
#130 **
January 15 2014, 02:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers

The oilers dont need offence. they are 17 in the league in scoring, but dead last by far in goals against. If this dude is good defensively, then it's a good move. Scrivens is a definitive upgrade on Dubnyk.

Avatar
#131 Truth
January 15 2014, 02:51PM
Trash it!
15
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
ZappBrannigan wrote:

Scrivens for Dubnyk Hendricks for a 3rd round pick

That's a win.

Is this Kevin Lowe? You are justifying an unjustifiable move.

It is a 3rd for Scrivens and Dubnyk for a 4th liner for the next 3 years at a wage approximately 3 times his actual value.

3rd for Scrivens - not bad.

Pending UFA for easily replaceable 4th line player on a substantially overpaid contract - Jay Feaster-esque.

Avatar
#132 Zarny
January 15 2014, 02:52PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
reaperfunkss (2nd tier fan) wrote:

So the players we got back are pointless? Then why make these moves?

No, of course the players they got are not pointless.

Hendricks will hopefully be a better 4th liner and PK than what they currently have.

Scrivens might not be the answer to win the Cup; but if he can simply not let in easy goals from the blueline in a tie game with 5 min left he's better than Dubnyk and Bryz.

Trades aren't a zero sum game. It isn't all win or all lose.

The fact a trade for a #1 D would certainly help the Oilers out more doesn't make trades like these pointless. That's just lazy thinking.

Avatar
#133 RexHolez
January 15 2014, 02:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Truth wrote:

Is this Kevin Lowe? You are justifying an unjustifiable move.

It is a 3rd for Scrivens and Dubnyk for a 4th liner for the next 3 years at a wage approximately 3 times his actual value.

3rd for Scrivens - not bad.

Pending UFA for easily replaceable 4th line player on a substantially overpaid contract - Jay Feaster-esque.

You're putting to much importance on the contract. Katz doesn't mind wasting money. If Hendricks doesn't work out he can easily be buried in the minors

Avatar
#134 reaperfunkss (2nd tier fan)
January 15 2014, 02:55PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Zarny wrote:

Haha...probably not.

Many like to compare the Oilers rebuild to Pit, Chi etc.

So what are the differences? The high 1st round draft picks? Nope. They need to improve their 200 ft game just like Crosby, Malkin, Toews and Kane did but they are basically what you'd expect.

The difference is no Keith or Seabrook or Gonchar or Letang. No Niemi or Crawford or Fleury etc.

The difference is everything that surrounds the 1st round picks.

Why is that? Part of the answer is certainly management. To date they haven't drafted and/or developed those players and/or have refused to the pay the price to get them in trades.

Part of the answer however, and I know this won't be popular, is Edmonton. The city.

You can criticize Lowe and MacT etc all you want, but I think it's foolish for anyone to think Holland or Chiarelli or anyone would have better luck convincing the players the Oilers need to sign in Edm.

So Lowe has done a good job in your view?

Avatar
#135 Jeffff
January 15 2014, 02:57PM
Trash it!
12
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
** wrote:

The oilers dont need offence. they are 17 in the league in scoring, but dead last by far in goals against. If this dude is good defensively, then it's a good move. Scrivens is a definitive upgrade on Dubnyk.

Scrivens numbers are good with the best goals against in the league, now he is with the worst goals against team. To say Scrivens is an upgrade is wrong. Dubnyk is a 1st round pick Scrivens undrafted.

Oilers are dying for any news that does not deal with the standings. This trade is pointless.

Avatar
#136 S cottV
January 15 2014, 02:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

It will be interesting to see Scrivens numbers with the Oilers as compared to the Kings.

Going from maybe the best team to the worst team - at supporting their respective goaltenders.

It will show....

Avatar
#137 Lochenzo
January 15 2014, 02:58PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

I just hope that we're not becoming the new goalie graveyard of the NHL!

Avatar
#138 Truth
January 15 2014, 03:00PM
Trash it!
11
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
RexHolez wrote:

You're putting to much importance on the contract. Katz doesn't mind wasting money. If Hendricks doesn't work out he can easily be buried in the minors

In a cap free world you are correct, Katz can spend all he wants. But if J. Schultz is traded away because his contract demands won't fit within the cap while Hendricks is getting overpaid by $1.2 million dollars per year it's a big deal.

Avatar
#139 Zarny
January 15 2014, 03:01PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
reaperfunkss (2nd tier fan) wrote:

So Lowe has done a good job in your view?

No I didn't say Lowe has done a good job.

But he certainly isn't near the problem that some want him to be.

You can fire Lowe all you want; it isn't going to attract better players to sign in Edm or make other GMs more likely to trade with the Oilers.

Avatar
#140 Zarny
January 15 2014, 03:02PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
Truth wrote:

In a cap free world you are correct, Katz can spend all he wants. But if J. Schultz is traded away because his contract demands won't fit within the cap while Hendricks is getting overpaid by $1.2 million dollars per year it's a big deal.

That you think Hendricks is getting overpaid by $1.2 million doesn't actually make it so.

Avatar
#141 Tikkanese
January 15 2014, 03:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
pkam wrote:

Petry is a 2nd rounder, isn't he? So Petry will never be an NHL regular?

Pitlick and Marincin are also 2nd rounders. So none of these two will ever be an NHL regulars?

I think we have about 10 2nd round picks since 2004 (last 10 years), if we can have more than 1, it is better than 10%.

Looks like we will have at least 2, probably 3. And we haven't counted the picks of 2011, 2012, and 2013.

Hate to burst your bubble but Pitlick and Marincin are far from NHL regulars. Sure they have up arrows and Marincin has looked good so far but it's only been 11 games. Hardly a regular yet. Possible? Yes. Fact? No.

So you're saying Gregor's article where he did all the math and had those figures was wrong? Maybe it was 20% for a 2nd rounder, I don't remember exactly. Either way it is still terrible odds. That was also odds only for a regular, not a "good player".

That's all 2nd rounders anyways and the conversation was about the trading of a 3rd for Scrivens. Spydyr said all good teams draft good players with 2nd and 3rd rounders. That is hardly the case.

Avatar
#142 A-Mc
January 15 2014, 03:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
Truth wrote:

Is this Kevin Lowe? You are justifying an unjustifiable move.

It is a 3rd for Scrivens and Dubnyk for a 4th liner for the next 3 years at a wage approximately 3 times his actual value.

3rd for Scrivens - not bad.

Pending UFA for easily replaceable 4th line player on a substantially overpaid contract - Jay Feaster-esque.

FACT: The Oilers tried to get Hendricks last summer and offered more money than NSH but still lost out.

Obviously it isn't as easy as it seems and the value isn't outrageous.

Avatar
#143 Jakethesnake
January 15 2014, 03:05PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

Wow Whats going to happen with the Sportsnet guys Big Louie and Kevin now They won't have their man lover around to brag up anymore

Avatar
#144 A-Mc
January 15 2014, 03:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Truth wrote:

In a cap free world you are correct, Katz can spend all he wants. But if J. Schultz is traded away because his contract demands won't fit within the cap while Hendricks is getting overpaid by $1.2 million dollars per year it's a big deal.

Value is determined by the people who are willing to pay it.

I think movie ticket prices should be in the $5 range, and maybe $8-9 for 3D. Movies, imo, are supremely overpriced but guess what? we still pay the $13+ to go anyway.

Avatar
#145 Jeffff
January 15 2014, 03:09PM
Trash it!
12
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

Matt Hendricks ha ha this guy won't be playing in the NHL in 3years. It is not easy to be the worst team in the NHL for 8 years but trades like this help keep the record of the worst team.

Oilers management = Losers

Avatar
#146 pkam
January 15 2014, 03:12PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Tikkanese wrote:

Hate to burst your bubble but Pitlick and Marincin are far from NHL regulars. Sure they have up arrows and Marincin has looked good so far but it's only been 11 games. Hardly a regular yet. Possible? Yes. Fact? No.

So you're saying Gregor's article where he did all the math and had those figures was wrong? Maybe it was 20% for a 2nd rounder, I don't remember exactly. Either way it is still terrible odds. That was also odds only for a regular, not a "good player".

That's all 2nd rounders anyways and the conversation was about the trading of a 3rd for Scrivens. Spydyr said all good teams draft good players with 2nd and 3rd rounders. That is hardly the case.

I am responding to Spydyr's comment that Oilers are 0%.

I didn't say that Pitlick and Marincin are NHL regulars. I asked Spydyr if he think they will ever be NHL regulars?

Avatar
#147 RexHolez
January 15 2014, 03:12PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Truth wrote:

In a cap free world you are correct, Katz can spend all he wants. But if J. Schultz is traded away because his contract demands won't fit within the cap while Hendricks is getting overpaid by $1.2 million dollars per year it's a big deal.

Schultz contract demands?? Hahahaha I wish we packaged him up with dubnyk

Avatar
#148 reaperfunkss (2nd tier fan)
January 15 2014, 03:15PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
Zarny wrote:

No I didn't say Lowe has done a good job.

But he certainly isn't near the problem that some want him to be.

You can fire Lowe all you want; it isn't going to attract better players to sign in Edm or make other GMs more likely to trade with the Oilers.

Nice, don't hold those responsible accountable. Can I work for you? The job is to win. when you spend this long at the bottom excuses no longer work.

Fact is Lowe has had no real success as a manager of an NHL team. His poor attitude is all over this organization and nothing will have any chance of being better until that changes.

Cutting the people who have been doing, at best a mediocre job gives you a chance. It shows the organization as a whole that you are now going to have to do what you say. Talk all you want but know you have to have results should be the rule.

As far as attracting new players. Perhaps the current management is keeping them away. He certainly isnt popular with agents. Several different players have had issue with how this organization has handled them.

How do you know that some GM's wont trade with Lowe? He certainly made a lot of enemies with his restricted free agent contracts. NHL GM's are notorious for the "Black Ball" behavior. Not all of them but quite a few.

Of course firing Lowe wont make the current players better only a fool would think that. But to let this management group continue to produce nothing except verbage is ineptitude at its finest by Katz.

Avatar
#149 RexHolez
January 15 2014, 03:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Zarny wrote:

No I didn't say Lowe has done a good job.

But he certainly isn't near the problem that some want him to be.

You can fire Lowe all you want; it isn't going to attract better players to sign in Edm or make other GMs more likely to trade with the Oilers.

It's not about firing him to attract FA's or so GM's will trade with us. Firing him is about his poor job performance and the situation we are currently in because he brought us here. There is no valid point to defend kLowe and no valid reasons to keep him

Avatar
#150 Truth
January 15 2014, 03:16PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Zarny wrote:

That you think Hendricks is getting overpaid by $1.2 million doesn't actually make it so.

Players with 5 or 4 points (Hendricks has 4) this season and negative in plus minus (playing more than 35 games):

- Mike Brown, - Luke Gazdic, - Tom Wilson, - Eric Tangradi, - Marc Andre Cliche, - Chris Thorburn, - Matt Hendricks, - Peter Regin, - Stephen Gionta, - Tom Sestito, - Patrick Bordeleau, - Craig Adams, - Derek Dorsett, - Jay McClement,

I'll let you look at the average salaries of those players. Not to mention Hendricks is 32. They're not taking a flier on a player that may yet improve. He's going downhill in ability.

Comments are closed for this article.