DUBNYK TRADED TO PREDS... ACQUIRE SCRIVENS

Jason Gregor
January 15 2014 01:10PM

The Oilers have traded Devan Dubnyk to the Nashville Predators for centre/winger Matt Hendricks.

Hendricks is in the first of a four-year deal that pays him $1.85 million.

Dubnyk will be a UFA at the end of the season.

Hendricks is a 4th line guy who kills penalties.

He will be their 4th line centre, maybe winger, for the foreseeable future, so clearly the organization isn't that high on Anton Lander. Lander needs to improve his footspeed. I know some won't like Hendricks' contract, and that is fair, but if the cap keeps going up it won't look as bad as it does today. He doesn't bring any offence, however, so in two years it could look really bad. A gamble for sure.

He plays the 2nd most PK minutes of any Nashville forward, so expect him to play a lot on the PK here. The Preds PK is currently 13th.

Thoughts?

According to Bob McKenzie the Oilers have acquired Edmonton native Ben Scrivens from LA for a 3rd round pick as well.

So Hendricks and Scrivens for Dubnyk and a 3rd...

Thoughts?

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
One of Canada's most versatile sports personalities. Jason hosts The Jason Gregor Show, weekdays from 2 to 6 p.m., on TSN 1260, and he writes a column every Monday in the Edmonton Journal. You can follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/JasonGregor
Avatar
#151 Mac962
January 15 2014, 03:17PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
18
cheers

Everyone wants that #1 D - Why cant we get it, why why why. F--k already i will tell you why, they dont grow on Trees, a #1 here is yeah, a 3-4 on other teams perhaps, do you think these types of players are not valued by their respective teams ? They are hard to come by and the asking prices people for a solid 1-2 defenceman for the Oilers will be high , so be prepared to give up Yak or a very good package of players. This type of trade is not easy. The last time a relevant D man was moved was probably when we got Pronger. Shoring up our D from outside the organization is not going to be cheap or easy. Be prepared to Pay and most likely overpay.

Avatar
#152 Truth
January 15 2014, 03:19PM
Trash it!
14
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
RexHolez wrote:

Schultz contract demands?? Hahahaha I wish we packaged him up with dubnyk

Enough said.

Avatar
#153 emonkee
January 15 2014, 03:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
17
cheers

People kept saying Dubynk for Hendricks is crap. I agree, but if we don't trade Dubbie, even for a bag of pucks, the Scriven trade wouldn't have happen.

So let's refer today's transaction as Scriven + Hendricks for Dubbie + 3rd rather than 2 separate deals. No way MacT make one deal but not another. They go together.

That being said, I am interested in seeing how Scrivens perform with our D since they are nowhere near as good as the Kings. Kinda disappointed in how Bryz played lately.

Avatar
#154 Truth
January 15 2014, 03:22PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
A-Mc wrote:

FACT: The Oilers tried to get Hendricks last summer and offered more money than NSH but still lost out.

Obviously it isn't as easy as it seems and the value isn't outrageous.

And I'm willing to bet you think the Oilers would be better off now if they had signed Clarkson for more money and longer term than the Maple Leafs did (which was reportedly offered)?

Avatar
#155 Oiler Al
January 15 2014, 03:22PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
Zarny wrote:

Not true at all.

Contenders routinely trade picks and prospects for proven NHL players.

It's teams that always trade proven NHLers for draft picks that end up losers.

Not easy to use the word "contenders" and Oilers in the same sentence!

Hendricks a slight over pay, but dont think Jones is back next year, Smyth likely gone , Hemsky , and maybe Gagner. At least we are adding real sandpaper.

Avatar
#156 Spydyr
January 15 2014, 03:23PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Zarny wrote:

And go tell that Chicago, Boston, Pit, LA and Detroit who have all traded picks and prospects for proven NHLers over recent years and won the Stanley Cup.

And one story from 40 years ago in a much different era doens't have a lot of bearing in 2014.

When your team is contending for the Cup sure trade picks for players to help you win the Cup.When you have not made the playoffs for eight years trading draft picks to placate a growing fire Lowe chant, well there is a reason they missed the playoff for eight years.

Avatar
#157 pkam
January 15 2014, 03:23PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
A-Mc wrote:

FACT: The Oilers tried to get Hendricks last summer and offered more money than NSH but still lost out.

Obviously it isn't as easy as it seems and the value isn't outrageous.

Poor Hendricks, you should learn from Souray, signed a long term beefy contract with the Oilers then asked for a trade after the 1st year.

Now you end up here for less. Not even a limited NTC? Can't blame anyone but your agent and yourself.

Avatar
#158 DarkLinkCosplay
January 15 2014, 03:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Dan wrote:

Trade does very little as D is still horrible, Forwards lack size. Scrivens' body of work is much less than Dubnyk and he played for a good defensive team...Oiler fans will soon be on Scrivens when he posts a .900 sv percentage behind this shoddy team. Getting Hendricks and his contract is a big gamble...pretty expensive to play a fourth line forward with little production. Definitely not a bold move by MacT...

I think you're confused about the definition of bold...

Avatar
#159 Bucknuck
January 15 2014, 03:27PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
38
cheers

I'm SOOOO SICK of the "bold" comments. For me, I thought trading Paajarvi for Perron was plenty bold. Or do you want them to trade away Hall, RNH or Eberle? Good Lord.

Avatar
#160 A-Mc
January 15 2014, 03:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Truth wrote:

And I'm willing to bet you think the Oilers would be better off now if they had signed Clarkson for more money and longer term than the Maple Leafs did (which was reportedly offered)?

I am indifferent on the Clarkson front.. Seems to me he was being paid to be big. Meh

Avatar
#161 Walter Sobchak
January 15 2014, 03:28PM
Trash it!
17
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
Zarny wrote:

That you think Hendricks is getting overpaid by $1.2 million doesn't actually make it so.

Actually it's 1.85 for a player barley hanging on to NHL employment, this player is a slight upgrade on Konopka, who is half the cost with a shorter contract.

Put that together with Scrivens being a UFA and the Oilers have themselves a little bit of a river boat gamble.

I think the trade boarders on ridicules.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2014/01/15/edmonton-oilers-trade-devan-dubnyk-matt-hendricks/

@mc79hockey

“Nashville just exchanged a guy with contract cancer for a guy who disappears at the end of the year for zero dollars. Good work.”

MacTavish should just stop trying to make the team better; he’s actually making the team worse.

While most of the analytical community scratches their heads over this trade, other's……….. applaud it.

Avatar
#162 Spydyr
January 15 2014, 03:28PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
pkam wrote:

I am responding to Spydyr's comment that Oilers are 0%.

I didn't say that Pitlick and Marincin are NHL regulars. I asked Spydyr if he think they will ever be NHL regulars?

Maybe, maybe not Marincin has looked good so far but if you keep trading your draft picks you have a 0% chance of a player making the NHL.

Avatar
#163 WheresYourTowel
January 15 2014, 03:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
reaperfunkss (2nd tier fan) wrote:

The Oil should know where to shoot on him

Heck, even *I* know where to shoot on him.

High Glove.

Avatar
#164 ed in Edmonton
January 15 2014, 03:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Spydyr wrote:

Maybe, maybe not Marincin has looked good so far but if you keep trading your draft picks you have a 0% chance of a player making the NHL.

Not true if the player you acquired for the pick is playing for you in the NHL. The draft pick becomes a player.

Avatar
#165 JDP
January 15 2014, 03:38PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I have a feeling the rookie GM is making trades just to make trades. I hope he's thinking things through!!!

Avatar
#166 DarkLinkCosplay
January 15 2014, 03:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Truth wrote:

Is this Kevin Lowe? You are justifying an unjustifiable move.

It is a 3rd for Scrivens and Dubnyk for a 4th liner for the next 3 years at a wage approximately 3 times his actual value.

3rd for Scrivens - not bad.

Pending UFA for easily replaceable 4th line player on a substantially overpaid contract - Jay Feaster-esque.

Correction: 3rd for Scrivens- pretty good

Easily replaceable 3rd string goalie on a substantially overpaid contract for an easily replaceable 4th line player on a substantially overpaid contract. At least he's better than Lander

Avatar
#167 pkam
January 15 2014, 03:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Spydyr wrote:

Maybe, maybe not Marincin has looked good so far but if you keep trading your draft picks you have a 0% chance of a player making the NHL.

I agree.

So what should we do? We still have many holes to fill, and we don't want to wait, and we don't want to trade away our picks or prospects. So how can we improve our team now?

Avatar
#168 Spydyr
January 15 2014, 03:41PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
ed in Edmonton wrote:

Not true if the player you acquired for the pick is playing for you in the NHL. The draft pick becomes a player.

Scrivens is set to become unrestricted free agent this summer.So if the don't sign him they will have nothing by the time that 3rd round pick happens at the draft.

Stupid move.It is not like they were in a playoff battle.

Avatar
#169 jr_christ
January 15 2014, 03:43PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

I'd say these were not that bad of trades. I'm not saying they are great, but they aren't Tambo-esque deals.

The problem is, we stink so bad right now that today's trades were the most exciting thing for the team since game 10 when we realized that we were going to be god awful again.

I guess I don't really care who we trade now... just keep this train in motion so I have something fun to talk about with respect to this team again haha.

Other than that... I wonder who we'll get for the 1st overall pick this year?

Avatar
#170 2004Z06
January 15 2014, 03:45PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers
Hemmercules wrote:

The Oilers aren't a better or worse team after these moves. Lateral at best. Scrivs won't look better than Brys or Duby behind the softest defense in the NHL, not a chance. Duby was done but seems like they could have got something better in return. Nothing in return almost seems better than Hendricks.

Really? Dubnyk has a .894 save % and of all goalies in the NHL to have played a minimum of 150 games he is dead last in wins. DEAD LAST! Were you expecting Shea Weber in return?

Mac T is lucky to get an NHL player in return.

Fans need to stop over valuing our junk. This is the real world, not NHL 14.

Hemsky will bring a prospect or a 3rd round pick and Gagner + a prospect/pick might get you a 3-4 D man.

Avatar
#171 Bucknuck
January 15 2014, 03:46PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers

Most people think that Scrivens is an upgrade on Dubnyk. Most people think the Oil need more grit and size and veteran presence (Hendricks).

I hate losing the third round pick, but if Scrivens is the starter that MacT is betting he is, then it's well worth it.

I am OK with these trades, since it will make watching this dismal team a little more interesting and I need that right now. That Dallas game depressed my Oilers Mojo.

Avatar
#172 Spydyr
January 15 2014, 03:46PM
Trash it!
23
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

From an asset management viewpoint the Oilers traded a first round pick Dubnyk and the upcoming third round pick for Scrivens who was undrafted and Hendricks who was a fourth round pick.

So a first and a third for a fourth.

Good teams don't make those kind of trades.

Avatar
#173 S cottV
January 15 2014, 03:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

Hate to give up on Dubnyk, but while we are probably the worst team at supporting goaltenders - Dubie should have stopped a few more pucks.

If Brys - bolts and Scrivens has a hard time playing goal with little to no support, I suppose we could always make a UFA offer to get Dubnyk back - at least as a backup.

My prediction is that we are about to find out the Dubnyk wasn't near as bad as a lot of people think. He will play well in Nashville and Scrivens will look very average in our system.

Don't mind this Hendricks guy. A veteran that looks to have good size and presence in the middle. Wins faceoffs, kills penalties, can fight. If he is good in his own zone, to help out our struggling d vs low threats - it's a definate upgrade in 4C.

If RNH puts on 15 lbs of muscle and MacT can hit a home run on a Benn-like 2C, we would be reasonably set in the middle - with Gordon and Hendricks rounding things out.

Avatar
#174 S cottV
January 15 2014, 03:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

Hate to give up on Dubnyk, but while we are probably the worst team at supporting goaltenders - Dubie should have stopped a few more pucks.

If Brys - bolts and Scrivens has a hard time playing goal with little to no support, I suppose we could always make a UFA offer to get Dubnyk back - at least as a backup.

My prediction is that we are about to find out the Dubnyk wasn't near as bad as a lot of people think. He will play well in Nashville and Scrivens will look very average in our system.

Don't mind this Hendricks guy. A veteran that looks to have good size and presence in the middle. Wins faceoffs, kills penalties, can fight. If he is good in his own zone, to help out our struggling d vs low threats - it's a definate upgrade in 4C.

If RNH puts on 15 lbs of muscle and MacT can hit a home run on a Benn-like 2C, we would be reasonably set in the middle - with Gordon and Hendricks rounding things out.

Avatar
#175 Bucknuck
January 15 2014, 03:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Spydyr wrote:

Scrivens is set to become unrestricted free agent this summer.So if the don't sign him they will have nothing by the time that 3rd round pick happens at the draft.

Stupid move.It is not like they were in a playoff battle.

It all depends on whether they can resign him. If they do, then is it still stupid? I would say the jury is out for now.

Avatar
#176 Walter Sobchak
January 15 2014, 03:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Bucknuck wrote:

Most people think that Scrivens is an upgrade on Dubnyk. Most people think the Oil need more grit and size and veteran presence (Hendricks).

I hate losing the third round pick, but if Scrivens is the starter that MacT is betting he is, then it's well worth it.

I am OK with these trades, since it will make watching this dismal team a little more interesting and I need that right now. That Dallas game depressed my Oilers Mojo.

This is what gets me, while Scrivens numbers were better than Dubnyk, he (Scrivens) was playing in front of one of the best defensive team in the NHL.

He also lost the “back up” position to an AHL goalie……… He also prior to the L.A trade was back & forth between the Marlies & the Leafs.

If this is the Oilers starter, I’m not at all feeling good about it, Having said that, it can’t be worse then Dubnyk, unless of course they don't re-sign him....

Avatar
#177 Spydyr
January 15 2014, 03:54PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Bucknuck wrote:

It all depends on whether they can resign him. If they do, then is it still stupid? I would say the jury is out for now.

Good managers don't hope they can keep an asset. They know.

What I know is if they sign him or not that third round pick is gone.

Perhaps Mac-T asked permission to talk to him before the trade and they have a deal in the works. If not it is a gamble.

Avatar
#178 50 in 39
January 15 2014, 03:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

@Spydyr

It is not a good situation and the Oilers are not a good team. But you have to grind when it come to the Oilers horrible goalie situation. There is no starter for next season and beyond. There is no reason to think the Oilers will be attracting a quality starting goaltender through free agency. Is Scrivens a legitimate starting goaltender? Would he sign here if he plays well and garners interest? Who knows but had something like this been done last year maybe we would have a Bishop or Bernier right now. It may turn out to be a waste but we won't be drafting a starter for next season with a 3rd round pick.

Avatar
#179 JDP
January 15 2014, 03:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

@Spydyr

That's stupid. People do improve or fall off a cliff. It does happen.

Avatar
#180 Oilcruzer
January 15 2014, 03:56PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

I will never forget the day when Edmonton had the 14th pick in the 2004 Entry Draft. Everyone expected Barry's son' Drew to be picked but Buffalo jumped in at 13. Wait, no worries, Rob Schremp was still available.

Kevin Lowe proudly sauntered up and beamed "With the 14th pick, the Edmonton Oilers are proud to select, from the Kamloops Blazers (really, who could this be?), Devan Dubnyk!"

I spit out my drink and said "Who the heck is Devan Dubnyk!?!?!?"

Radulov was picked next. Some others that looked promising were picked after.

Funny thing was, Rob Schremp kept dropping, dropping, dropping... "gee, does no one like this guy".

Then the Oil got "lucky" and picked Rob Schremp with the 25th pick. Cory Schneider went next to Vancouver.

Ah, the 2004 draft. Who knew, out of that first round class, Edmonton couldn't land one solid player? Maybe this was a foretelling of things to come.

Welcome to 2014.

Avatar
#181 druds
January 15 2014, 03:57PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Spydyr wrote:

So now no second or third round pick next draft.Guess the first will be traded too.Who needs to draft.....lol

I have had enough of god damn third and 2 round picks if we dont have any GOOD!!!! lets get live bodies that play...

Avatar
#182 emonkee
January 15 2014, 03:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Walter Sobchak

Normally I only bother reading LT and Gregor's blogs coz they are the only ones I care to read up on...in this case, I will give JW the benefit of the doubt becoz he is commenting purely on Hendricks for Dubbie, and not in conjunction with the Scriven's deal.

Yes, if you just trade Hendricks for Dubbie, of coz we lose big time, but you need to account for Scriven. Since we may be on a desperation mode to get the Dubbie deal done before the Scrivens, unfortunately we aren't going to get 80 cents on the dollar.

You go look at the Preds roster, and you tell me who the Preds are willing to trade in order to get a UFA goalie as a stop gap? They aren't going to give away Hornqvist or Fisher or Stalberg, so you are obvioulsy going to be left with a guy like Hendricks. Do we want more for Dubbie? Yes, but what can MacT do? Now if he is able to trade away Hendricks sometime in the future without taking another huge contract back, then props to him.

Avatar
#183 Jay
January 15 2014, 03:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers

This team has win 15 games in 49 try's. there are no such things as a bad trade

Avatar
#184 Spydyr
January 15 2014, 04:01PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
druds wrote:

I have had enough of god damn third and 2 round picks if we dont have any GOOD!!!! lets get live bodies that play...

If a old fourth line player with a bad contract and a UFA goalie are what you think will fix this team, good for you.

I don't think they will.

Avatar
#185 westcoastoil
January 15 2014, 04:02PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

DD was a UFA too so they aren't worse off in that regard. Henricks can be bought out in the summer if they feel they don't want the contract and likely couldn't have traded DD without taking the ugly contract back. Every team has an overpay or two somewhere - if $500K on Henricks is it in a market where the cap is going up, so be it. Giving the squad a tough, gritty veteran to test drive who comes from a winning org (the Caps) for 40 games was badly needed. Yes he's 32, but there aren't a lot of NHL miles on him.

Don't forget they will be unloading remaining UFAs to restock the picks come the deadline.

Avatar
#186 2004Z06
January 15 2014, 04:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Walter Sobchak wrote:

Actually it's 1.85 for a player barley hanging on to NHL employment, this player is a slight upgrade on Konopka, who is half the cost with a shorter contract.

Put that together with Scrivens being a UFA and the Oilers have themselves a little bit of a river boat gamble.

I think the trade boarders on ridicules.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2014/01/15/edmonton-oilers-trade-devan-dubnyk-matt-hendricks/

@mc79hockey

“Nashville just exchanged a guy with contract cancer for a guy who disappears at the end of the year for zero dollars. Good work.”

MacTavish should just stop trying to make the team better; he’s actually making the team worse.

While most of the analytical community scratches their heads over this trade, other's……….. applaud it.

And that's why the analytical community doesn't play hockey.

Everyone is looking at this trade from the wrong angle.

It doesn't matter who/how old/cap hit at all with regards to Hendricks.

It was the cost to move Dubnyk out. Period.

Have none of you heard of two teams swapping reclamation projects? That is all this was.

We have heard many NHL sportscasters talk of having to bring back another teams bad contract to get rid of one of your own.

A fresh start for both players may be just what is needed.

Avatar
#187 Bucknuck
January 15 2014, 04:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Spydyr wrote:

Good managers don't hope they can keep an asset. They know.

What I know is if they sign him or not that third round pick is gone.

Perhaps Mac-T asked permission to talk to him before the trade and they have a deal in the works. If not it is a gamble.

Who is to say he doesn't know? Do you think it sent off a third rounder on a wing and a prayer? I doubt it.

Avatar
#188 Spydyr
January 15 2014, 04:06PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Bucknuck wrote:

Who is to say he doesn't know? Do you think it sent off a third rounder on a wing and a prayer? I doubt it.

I have no doubts about the level of incompetence in the Oiler's "braintrust"

It has been proven over and over again.

Avatar
#189 ed in edmonton
January 15 2014, 04:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Spydyr wrote:

Scrivens is set to become unrestricted free agent this summer.So if the don't sign him they will have nothing by the time that 3rd round pick happens at the draft.

Stupid move.It is not like they were in a playoff battle.

I thought we were discussing the philosophy of trading picks for players and not the specifics of the day.

Avatar
#190 Spydyr
January 15 2014, 04:08PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
2004Z06 wrote:

And that's why the analytical community doesn't play hockey.

Everyone is looking at this trade from the wrong angle.

It doesn't matter who/how old/cap hit at all with regards to Hendricks.

It was the cost to move Dubnyk out. Period.

Have none of you heard of two teams swapping reclamation projects? That is all this was.

We have heard many NHL sportscasters talk of having to bring back another teams bad contract to get rid of one of your own.

A fresh start for both players may be just what is needed.

"It was the cost to move Dubnyk out. Period."

It would of cost nothing to let him walk this summer.

Avatar
#191 2004Z06
January 15 2014, 04:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Spydyr wrote:

Good managers don't hope they can keep an asset. They know.

What I know is if they sign him or not that third round pick is gone.

Perhaps Mac-T asked permission to talk to him before the trade and they have a deal in the works. If not it is a gamble.

Not sure why everyone is worried about giving up the 3rd round pick. It will be coming back for Hemsky by the deadline.

Avatar
#192 Truth
January 15 2014, 04:09PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

@2004Z06

Look at it from Nashville's point of view: They get a goaltender with (prior to this year) potential #1 goaltender statistics for the rest of the year while Rinne is down to injury. If Dubnyk stays bad, they let him walk for nothing. Plus, half of Dubnyk's contract is covered by the Oilers. In acquiring Dubnyk they lose a contract of $1.85 million per year for 3 years following this season, while they absolutely can replace his 4 points and 54 PIMs with a much cheaper option next season.

Win-win for Nashville.

Oilers point of view: Acquire a 4th line player that is paid way more than comparable players of his skill set with 3.5 years remaining on his contract. They lose Dubnyk, who was going to walk away at the end of the season anyway. Pay half of Dubnyk's salary for the rest of the year.

Oilers would have been better off taking a 25th round pick, if it existed.

Avatar
#193 Spydyr
January 15 2014, 04:11PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
ed in edmonton wrote:

I thought we were discussing the philosophy of trading picks for players and not the specifics of the day.

Trading picks for players works if your contending for a Cup.

Trading picks for overpaid ,old fourth liners and UFA goalies when your building a team does not work.

Avatar
#194 Spydyr
January 15 2014, 04:13PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
2004Z06 wrote:

Not sure why everyone is worried about giving up the 3rd round pick. It will be coming back for Hemsky by the deadline.

Yeah your probably right. What scares me is that they traded the second and now the third and there is talk about trading the first.

Not sure if a team ever had a draft where they did not pick till the fourth round. Top five picks at that.

Imagine looking back in five years at the 2014 draft class.

Avatar
#195 Ed in Edmonton
January 15 2014, 04:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Oilcruzer wrote:

I will never forget the day when Edmonton had the 14th pick in the 2004 Entry Draft. Everyone expected Barry's son' Drew to be picked but Buffalo jumped in at 13. Wait, no worries, Rob Schremp was still available.

Kevin Lowe proudly sauntered up and beamed "With the 14th pick, the Edmonton Oilers are proud to select, from the Kamloops Blazers (really, who could this be?), Devan Dubnyk!"

I spit out my drink and said "Who the heck is Devan Dubnyk!?!?!?"

Radulov was picked next. Some others that looked promising were picked after.

Funny thing was, Rob Schremp kept dropping, dropping, dropping... "gee, does no one like this guy".

Then the Oil got "lucky" and picked Rob Schremp with the 25th pick. Cory Schneider went next to Vancouver.

Ah, the 2004 draft. Who knew, out of that first round class, Edmonton couldn't land one solid player? Maybe this was a foretelling of things to come.

Welcome to 2014.

If you didn't know who Dubnyk was that draft year you were not paying attention. He was the top rated goalie in the draft and was widely rumored the Oil would pick him.

No surprise when he was taken.

Avatar
#196 Mike Wazowski
January 15 2014, 04:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Spydyr wrote:

From an asset management viewpoint the Oilers traded a first round pick Dubnyk and the upcoming third round pick for Scrivens who was undrafted and Hendricks who was a fourth round pick.

So a first and a third for a fourth.

Good teams don't make those kind of trades.

I love how you keep quoting the picks as a measure of value. There have and will be good undrafted players. Hell, one of them played for the Oilers... Curtis Joseph!

Avatar
#197 2004Z06
January 15 2014, 04:15PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Spydyr wrote:

"It was the cost to move Dubnyk out. Period."

It would of cost nothing to let him walk this summer.

Yes and it wouldn't have freed up the spot to bring in Scrivens. I would also suggest that Hendricks is at least an asset vs Dubnyk walking with zero return.

It's all semantics anyway. If he comes in and does a reasonable job at 4C, provides a little toughness and some PK then it's a win, if he doesn't, he gets moved for a 4th round pick later.

This is really not a trade that anyone should be losing sleep over.

Avatar
#198 Chris.
January 15 2014, 04:16PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

Five hours ago the Oilers had one less bad contract, a high third round pick, and a different unproven UFA goaltender.

This may be the most expensive audition ever... I sure hope Scrivens works out.

Avatar
#199 Spydyr
January 15 2014, 04:17PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Mike Wazowski wrote:

I love how you keep quoting the picks as a measure of value. There have and will be good undrafted players. Hell, one of them played for the Oilers... Curtis Joseph!

Pretty sure every GM in the NHL looks at a players draft position as a measure of value.Well the good GM'S anyhow.

Avatar
#200 Spydyr
January 15 2014, 04:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
2004Z06 wrote:

Yes and it wouldn't have freed up the spot to bring in Scrivens. I would also suggest that Hendricks is at least an asset vs Dubnyk walking with zero return.

It's all semantics anyway. If he comes in and does a reasonable job at 4C, provides a little toughness and some PK then it's a win, if he doesn't, he gets moved for a 4th round pick later.

This is really not a trade that anyone should be losing sleep over.

I'm just happy to have something to discuss other then how bad the Oilers suck.

Comments are closed for this article.