Slow but steady

Jason Strudwick
January 17 2014 07:26AM

When Craig Mactavish took over as Oilers GM he said the Oilers needed to be harder to play against. Move by move he is slowly grinding this Oiler team in that direction.

Since taking over he has added Andrew Ference, Boyd Gordon, David Perron, Luke Gazdic and most recently Matt Hendricks.

This is a group of players that should make playing against the Oilers less enjoyable than it has been. Nearly every game this year, teams play against the Oilers and their teams trainers don't even bother turning on the ice machine. There is no need for ice bags. These games are not physical.

That had to change. The Oilers inability to challenge teams physically or even match it has been a big issue. Take a look at the Pacific Division! These are big heavy teams, with skill, that most nights push the Oilers around. I don't even want to think about the oilers matching up in a seven-game playoff series against the Kings or Blues! They would lose in three.

Hendricks is a player I thought the Oilers needed to bring in last summer. I have no issue with his cap hit per year. The cap will continue to go up and the Oilers are not in a cap crunch. The issue is the term. I wonder what Hendricks will bring in year four.

Think back to when Yakupov got into it with basically the whole Winnipeg Jets team. It was beautiful! That is one of the few times I saw the Oilers bench on their feet and passion on the guys faces. There is no stat to measure the value of passion but I know it is so important to team moral and confidence. Without it, a team sleep walks through games.

There is still work to be done for MacT. He needs to find a way to bring in edgy players to the top six forwards. These players are hard to get. Sorting out the bottom six is the easier job but slowly the team is starting to get some heart.

Old Goalie out, New Goalie in

Does this even matter? NO. It doesn't.

The overall team defence hasn't changed for the Oilers. Why should we expect Ben Scrivens to come in and have more success? This isn't me saying Scrivens can't be a decent goalie. The facts are that any goalie with an Oilers jersey will see shots and chances against that he will not believe.

Scrivens has been playing behind the Los Angeles Kings and that group controls shots against as good as any team in the NHL. Scrivens is in for rude wakeup call here. He will need to be on his toes the whole sixty minutes.

I like the test drive that the rest of the season brings for the oilers to watch Scrivens up close. I am not convinced he is an upgrade on Dubnyk but we can all watch him close up and form an opinion. Keep an eye on his glove had. He holds it to high which makes most saves a downward motion instead of up. That is the harder way.

I see no reason why Scrivens shouldn't start the bulk of the games the rest of this season. I would expect that Bryz will not be back with the oilers next year. So far he has done nothing to suggest he is the man for the Oilers. I think the team will look to a potential UFA like Jaroslav Halak or Jonas Hiller or make a trade for a guy like Cam Ward. The backup will most likely by Scrivens. In other words: two new goalies to start next season.

I believe Dubnyk is a good goalie. He is the luckiest person in Edmonton right now. He probably skipped all the way to Nashville. The Predators have a history of building goalies. The Preds play a pretty good defensive game. Dubnyk will get a chance to work with Mitch Corn, the Preds goalie coach. He has had success with tall goalies.

Public Breakups

I witnessed a breakup at Starbucks this morning. In fact I had a front row seat and decided to live tweet it! Surrounded by 20 or so people this lady gave her man an outright release.

I don't normally get into other peoples nightmares but I was literally sitting right beside them. Once it started I couldn't stop listening.

This poor guy was dropped like he was hot over a double chai latte. I will give him credit he did fight for it but she wasn't buying his "I will change" or "You deserve better from me" lines.

She shut him down and was convinced a breakup was the right way to go. This is where it got painful to watch.

Judging by their conversation I would guess they hadn't been together long. But this guy was determined not to lose her! It was embarrassing to say the least. At some point shouldn't you just take your lumps and move on? Not this guy! It wasn't like Jen Aniston was breaking up with him.

In the end they both got up and gave the most awkward hug I have ever seen. she says "We will be in touch soon". From what I saw there is no chance that will happen.

I guess it is better than by text.

5cf6b487166aced0cd781e41bfef915e
#1 BorjeSalming-IanTurnbull
January 17 2014, 07:49AM

Sam Gagner is Kryptonite to all he plays with. RNH and Hall looked lost and defeated all night playing with him. What a mess this is...

#2 Marc
January 17 2014, 07:37AM

Harder to play against? Fistric was our one hard as nails D man who apparently can play for the best team in the league.....but not the Oilers. We didn't need to get softer on D but did. This team is in a spiral. Sycophantic apologists aside.

#3 EP
January 17 2014, 08:10AM

"I guess it is better than by text."

Or by Skype. That's how MacT rolls.

#4 Soccer Steve
January 17 2014, 08:17AM

That cork board with nothing on it behind MacT says it all, doesn't it?

#5 wintoon
January 17 2014, 08:03AM

Gagner is a black hole. He can't play center and since moving to the wing he has proven unable to accept or make a pass, his decisions are those of a rookie lacking confidence, his positioning is poor and his results have been non existent.

If he is not traded at the deadline then the Oilers are doomed to another season of futility. Oilers have to draft a good center at the draft in June. Even a raw rookie will contribute more than Gags (particularily apt nick name).

As for trades, even if the Oilers have to overpay they need to upgrade their defensive top 6. The pro scouts should be able to identify a player (or two) to be realistically targeted. If not, why are they being paid?

#6 RexHolez
January 17 2014, 10:28AM

Question: how long until this team goes from worst team in the league to "worst team in the history of the league?"

That's a legitimate question, and yet the man responsible for this situation is still in place??

#7 outdoorzguy
January 17 2014, 10:43AM

So it appears that the media (Anthony Vasquez-Peddie, Edmonton Sun) has driven a wedge into Scrivens...what, two days after we get him? Now we have to look for another goalie in the summer to replace him because of the "Warm" welcome he received. Maybe instead of going after the guys wife, he should have directed his angst at team management and the coaching staff. This organization has a free pass. They don't care what the fans say. The media are on a first name basis with everyone on the team. How long will they get away with this. Go after the guys wife. That's classy Edmonton media. No wonder nobody comes to play here.

#8 dougtheslug
January 17 2014, 08:23AM

Interesting you make mention of a painful breakup, after telling us about the deckchair shuffling that MacT is doing with the Oiler roster.

Thats about how I feel with the Oil. I don't think this is going to work. We both deserve better. It's not you, it's me.

No, it's actually you. I want to date a real hockey team. Maybe we should see other people.

Thanks for the memories. (Awkward hug)

#9 vetinari
January 17 2014, 08:18AM

I agree that we need a better mix and balance of players but we stubbornly are trying to re-create the Flyers, or Chicago, or the Maple Leafs without success.

Basically, play to your team's strengths. Krueger seemed to do that better than Eakins. We have a small, young team so use your speed to drive the zone and take control of the centre of the ice for possible one-timers, dekes and shots off the rush-- be content with being outshot if you could make your chances count. Not ideal but a necessary evil given the type of team that we had. Yes, they needed to be better defensively, and they needed bigger bodies in some parts of the lineup, but at least they were heading in the right direction.

Eakins is coaching a small team to try and play like a big, physical team, and you can see our results. Yes, we're hitting more and yes, we're blocking more and yes, we have reduced the shots against by a bit, but the offensive pop is gone from our game, the players look like they are on a death march, and our defence is in shambles-- a young Marty Broduer couldn't backstop this team to success. So why do we try the same tactics over and over if they are not successful?

We seem to be assembling the team that Eakins wants to coach and not use the team that we have properly (which, I would argue, Krueger did with better success).

As for the breakup--- that was cold! In a public place-- what's a guy to do. The only thing worse is if the staff suddenly turned into a Glee flashmob and helped her breakup with him in song--

"We're so happy to see you, but sad to say, she's going to dump your a$$ today!" [jazz hands...]

#10 outdoorzguy
January 17 2014, 08:08AM

I hope the 4 idiots don't make it to Winnipeg. But when we lose on Saturday afternoon, that should be their last game behind the bench. If it's not, this once proud franchise will have become an abortion of a supposed professional sports organization.

#11 TheSilentBang64
January 17 2014, 08:54AM

Maybe they should Skype Kruger and ask him how to get the PP going.

#12 mayorblaine
January 17 2014, 07:31AM

slow and steady eh? how about plodding and pathetic.

#13 Lowe Expectations
January 17 2014, 09:30AM

She probably found out the guy was an Oiler fan

#14 Big Cap
January 17 2014, 07:44AM

These "minor league" trades and "tweaks" to make our roster a little deeper are fine.

But, there is NO way I trust our current management group to pull off the Big Blockbuster that involves one of our "A-Listers". You only get one chance and I'd bet my last dollar the wouldn't end in out favor!

#15 bazmagoo
January 17 2014, 11:15AM

Players families should really be off limits for criticism, I even thought it was offside when it happened with Pronger. It's classless, gutless, childish, and most importantly, poor journalism. NHL players lead public lives I'll give you that, but criticism should be kept to their hockey playing abilities/attitudes in the locker room. Give the families some privacy and respect your professional boundaries douchbag!

#16 camdog
January 17 2014, 07:58AM

"He is a physical player that should, I hope, help the oilers connect emotionally with their games. You can't win or have success in the NHL without passion and emotion in your game. This Oilers squad is vanilla basically to a man. There are a few exceptions but not enough. I hope Hendricks comes into the dressing room and stirs up the pot. On the ice, I expect him to chirp and drag other guys into getting pissed off!"

Basically we replaced Brown with Hendricks, just looks like musical chairs to me...

#17 russ99
January 17 2014, 07:58AM

The problem is our opponents' best players are 6-8 years older than the best players on our team.

#18 The Real Scuba Steve
January 17 2014, 08:19AM

It's not working, I'm sorry but I see teams like Colorado making more progress that the Oilers have done. The Oiler brain trust made this rebuild a joke, Oilers need to be gritty like sandpaper but need to play the swarm. Let's put Taylor Hall at centre and see how that goes Messier did it 30 years ago so Hall should have no problems. They wait to the off season to signing UFA's only to be shot down every year. Why would Jaroslav Halak or Jonas Hiller want to sign here? I bet you they will take less money to go some where else, all this patience and wait till the off season to regroup is killing the Oilers, we are going to break that 10 year without playoff appearance record.

#19 Walter Sobchak
January 17 2014, 09:31AM

The Oilers can't possible go any slower!

The addition of Hendricks really showed the Oilers new found toughness, I especially like how Yakupov had his head rammed in by Cooke, then the Oilers did nothing.

The Oilers need players like, Kesller, Dubinsky, Hartnel, Ott, Clowe, skill veterans, strong and competitive.

Problem is the Oilers have nothing to trade with, zero.

#20 outdoorzguy
January 17 2014, 12:48PM
Jason Gregor wrote:

You just proved why you shouldn't be a reporter.

The guy, Anthony Vasquez, is from Toronto not Edmonton. He is the online editor for their Sun Chain. He lives in TORONTO.

He isn't a reporter, he is an editor. He edits stories, he doesn't interview people or go find stories.

Feel free to critique people in the media, but don't look foolish and lump everyone into the same "media" pool. And next time you want to attack someone, or the entire "media" group at least be smart enough to know where the person resides....

I guess you kinda answered for me. I never knew the jerk was from Toronto. I would think that in order to become an Editor, one would have spent time in the trenches as a reporter. Maybe not? But the EDMONTON SUN ran the story. They didn't have to. Don't they have editors?

As for the media pool, especially in Edmonton I only consider one person real media and that's McKinnon. He asked a hard question once. I don't see anyone else asking anything tough. But I understand you wouldn't want to lose your pre-game meal privileges or your cushy stool on the catwalk. Yeah you had Lowe on your show last week but you let him off the hook. It was the one opportunity someone had to ask some of the questions the class 1 and class 2 fans are asking. But nope. No guts. I suppose now you'll get really mad at me because I disagree with you, just like you do to anyone who calls your show.

#21 Pokey
January 17 2014, 03:55PM

Oilers are 3 pts ahead of Buffalo. Buffalo have 4 games in hand. I predict that the Oil will fall off the edge of the planet and could easily end up 30th overall.

Doesn't that make us all so proud of our ownership and management.

What's with this confidence B.S. being tossed around by apologists like Stauffer and Lowetide.

What has confidence got to do with putting both hands on your stick and battling with your check in front of the net. It has nothing to do with confidence and playing with some semblance of respect for yourself, your team-mates and the fans.

#22 -30-
January 17 2014, 08:24AM

@ Jason, if you're gonna break up DO IT ON OILERS NATION!

KEVIN LOWE IT"S OVER!!!!

-30-

#23 Rama Lama
January 17 2014, 09:07AM

I love the ringing endorsement Ben Scrivens gave Eakins.........it was like yea I played for him, when asked what he thought about Eakins.

Struds, you said that players never tell the media anything.......totally true, but if you read body language, or the subtle nuances of language delivery, Scrivens bascially told everyone he is not a fan of Eakins.

I know one thing, the whole BPA strategy the Oilers follow is pure poison. It guarantees you will have a bunch of similar players, all trying to be stars. Most teams take what they need, if the skill separation is close, not us. We take the same type of player over and over again. Now we have a bunch of Hobbits that can't win a game and have collectively tanked their value.

While Mac T keeps shuffling the chairs on the Titanic, Lowe keeps polishing his six rings!

#24 By corner, do you mean circle?
January 17 2014, 03:28PM

@vetinari

I was reading the Hockey News People of Power and Influence issue and Patrick Roy was ranked somewhere in the top 20 I believe. What struck me about the piece was Matt Duchene’s glowing comments about Roy and the system that he implemented in Colorado this year. At one point he says something like “it is impossible to overstate Patrick’s contribution to the team’s success this year.”

Of course I can’t link the article, but I did find this old story from the Denver Post where Duchene says many of the same things: http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_24395710/matt-duchene-loves-fast-pace-system-and-personal-style-patrick-roy

I thought it was interesting that Duchene felt that the old system implemented by Sacco didn’t fit the team that they actually had, whereas Roy has them playing in a way that utilizes their obvious strengths – speed and skill.

Anyway I’m not saying that the Oilers don’t have glaring holes that need to be addressed or that coaching is the sole reason that they are flirting with dead last once again. However, I also don’t remember the team looking this disengaged in the past and it makes most games utterly joyless to watch. As an Oil fan I know a thing or two about losing and I don’t think their dismal record alone explains why I can’t bring myself to watch the third period most nights.

Maybe Eakins is a coaching prodigy and he will eventually revolutionize not only the Oil, but the NHL as a whole. Maybe not. I do think these Duchene interviews suggest that from the perspective of a young, elite player, on a team full of young, elite players, the right coach and system can make a huge difference to a team’s success.

#25 loweblows
January 17 2014, 12:38PM

MacT said he hired Billy Moores to help coach the coaches. Two questions. Does that make Billy Moores the head coach? Secondly, does any other franchise in pro sports have a coaching coach? Anybody? Or is this only in the bizzaro world of Oiler management?

#26 Dave
January 17 2014, 12:48PM

Gregor is getting a little crabby in his responses.

#27 admiralmark
January 17 2014, 09:27AM

I admire your optomism Struds. I did like the way the team reacted and supported Yak in that Winnipeg game. But where was the support for Yak last nights game? Not that the hit on Yak was dirty but Cooke and Veilleux were running around all game with impunity.

#28 pelhem grenville
January 17 2014, 07:30AM

...gawd how slow ?

#29 reaperfunkss (2nd tier fan)
January 17 2014, 10:41AM
pkam wrote:

Kureger was out of Edmonton. I don't know where he was at the time. I heard he might be in Toronto or Switzerland.

So what other options does MacT have? Text Kureger, call Kureger, ask Kureger to fly back to Edmonton to tell him face to face that he is fired, or MacT flied all the way to tell Kureger face to face he is fired, or Skype him? Any other option that I miss?

And which one do you thing is the most appropriate choice?

You show class and treat the man with dignity and fly out to meet with him. MacT said coaching wasn't the problem then fires him after talking on the phone with Eakins.

Talk about bad karma.

#30 former Notre Dame Hound
January 17 2014, 09:10AM

@wintoon

My friends say I have Gagneritous....and its nice to see that Im not the only one with this contagious disease...this guy is the #1 problem and like the comment said...he cant take a pass and is so scared to accept one that's the others teams are even passing to this idiot...send him back to a Midget B and bring in a Saskatchewan farm boy...ha

#31 K_Mart
January 17 2014, 09:16AM

Just play Gordon for 60 mins/night, Trap, and pray for a 1-0 SO win every night. Why not.... WHY NOT

#32 papler
January 17 2014, 08:07AM
camdog wrote:

Exactly. And we switched a 3rd round pick for a fourth rounder.

Dubnyk, Brown and a 3rd out Scrivens, Hendricks and a 4th in

Going sideways and it is called progress... mind boggling

#33 dougtheslug
January 17 2014, 08:56AM
NsxZero wrote:

Ha thats what I thought when I got to that section. Pretty good analogy with our relationships to the Oilers.

Except in Jason's story the guy was actually trying to hold on to the girl.

In our case, I don't even think the object of our affection cares one way or the other what we do. They just want us to pick up the tab.

I don't know if that makes the breakup more painful, or less.

#34 Twoskidoos
January 17 2014, 08:27AM

She should have done it by Skype.

#35 Puck JammeR!
January 17 2014, 10:31AM
RexHolez wrote:

I don't know, but we're definitely getting there.

#36 Sketchy
January 17 2014, 09:44AM

Dude, why did you have to tell all of oilernation about my breakup? I loved her!!!

#37 Andrew
January 17 2014, 10:53AM

Most of Mac's moves have amounted to nothing more than nibbling at the edges if the real issues. That would be the top six pussies and the most gutless D in the league. I don't see how Petry and Schultz Sr can stay on this team period. I don't see any way they can find 4 D in the near term. Hall looks like Eakins has ripped his heart for the game right iut of his chest.

#38 emonkee
January 17 2014, 11:08AM
outdoorzguy wrote:

I 100% agree. It's not like Edmonton is every player's favorite destination. And now you have an idiot (AVP) posting about the player's family...now that's getting personal.

There is absolutely no remorse from AVP.

"Vasquez-Peddie responded to Ben Scrivens's tweets later in the evening, explaining it was just a tongue-in-cheek feature."

Wonder how he feels if we write about his family.....!

#39 wiseguy
January 17 2014, 03:58PM

"What is the right way to break up with someone these days? I know for sure doing it at Starbucks at 9:30 AM is a very cold way to do it.

I guess it is better than by text."

MacT recommends doing it via Skype

#40 Hemmercules
January 17 2014, 08:39AM

I really would like to know what Mact thinks of the coaching right now. He was coach for years and he's upstairs watching this fiasco every game. I hope he has enough balls the clean that bench when the Oilers finish with their worst record ever.

#41 He Who Knows
January 17 2014, 10:05AM

Hey Struds, do the guys in the locker room or when you were there talk about the way the Oilers were being managed? Did you guys know about Souray and his dislike for management before he went public? #lowemustgo

#42 Walter Sobchak
January 17 2014, 11:40AM
pkam wrote:

I disagree with you. I think it is very rude to call Kureger in to tell him the bad news. And it is unnecessary to fly all the way just to tell him the bad news. Text is totally lack of respect. Skype is better than a phone call.

MacT never said Kureger was the problem. He said he found a better coach that he believed could help the team more so he made a hard decision. He already said it was unfair to Kureger.

Are you suggesting that he shouldn't make any change that he thought would improve the team? Why would we want a GM who will not do what he thinks will improve the team? You can question his ability or judgement, but how can you blame him for trying?

Yet it's ok for MacTavish to fly to Sweden to watch one game of Klefbom and declare he's " seen enough to know"

It's ok to fly to mother Russia and declare that Grebeshkov still has game!

He can't board Katz private jet fly out for the day to see a coach he just told to take his summer break, that he will handle the finding of a co-coach for Krueger.

Instead, "screw it I found a new coach so I don't really need to fly because I'm firing him anyways"? This is fine with you?

#43 Randaman
January 17 2014, 11:45AM
Walter Sobchak wrote:

The Oilers can't possible go any slower!

Problem is the Oilers have nothing to trade with, zero.

CORRECTION! They have lots to trade with but they won't part with a key piece to improve the TEAM! Gags and Eberle are expendable if the right pieces are returned (#2 Center or #2 Defenceman). I like Ebs but something has to give doesn't it? Oh ya, forgot what ineptness we have for management.

#44 Rick Stroppel
January 17 2014, 12:26PM
reaperfunkss (2nd tier fan) wrote:

Talk about bad karma.

CLASSY GUY

I heard an interview of Kreuger where he talked about the firing. He was in Switzerland, at home. His wife was in the next room. Krueger was asked how he reacted and he said something like "I was OK but my wife was swearing a blue streak". By now Krueger has probably figured out that he is well out of this endless cluster-fug.

Krueger is a classy guy, unlike those arrogant braggarts Lowe and MacTavish. Edmonton is a SMALL POND. You might be arrogant too if fans and media were pumping your tires FOR YEARS despite your obvious failure. Posters on this site continue to praise MacTavish. Using big words (often I appropriately) does not make you an intelligent person. Somebody please tell me what MacTavish has accomplished in the last seven years. How many decades do you propose to give him to turn the team around?

#45 corky
January 17 2014, 07:39PM

I find it crazy people are ready to dump Yak already. Jeez, give the guy a reasonable chance.

#46 sidney frosby
January 17 2014, 09:27AM

Scott Howsen is a proven winner ---lol

#47 Lochenzo
January 17 2014, 10:39AM

Wow, an early morning - before they've had their coffee - breakup. That's perfect!! They won't see it coming and their wits are a little groggy out of the gate. I'll have to remember that one!

I really like the addition of Hendricks. Here's a guy that's spent most of his career in the AHL and made it to the show by working hard and doing the little things right. Taylor Hall, RNH and Yakupov made the direct jump to the NHL based primarily on their high skill level. I hope that these kids learn some of the lessons Hendricks did through the school of hard knocks.

#48 Jason Gregor
January 17 2014, 11:34AM
outdoorzguy wrote:

You just proved why you shouldn't be a reporter.

#49 Still Hopin
January 17 2014, 01:55PM

Come on that is not the problem.

The brain trust at the top is not smart enough. Edmonton Media needs to recognize that Lowe and Mac-T are NOT SMART Hockey minds.

They were journey man ex-players, that is it. Even the best player in the world couldn't coach in Phoenix.

For the past 14 years during Lowe's reign, the Oilers have had the WORST record in the NHL. That is not disputable. It is a fact.

You could take someone who knows nothing about hockey and give them 14 years, they will do at least as well as Lowe. Statistically speaking, it would be very highly improbable to do this bad. That does not say that individual is good, but what is does say is Lowe is a REALLY REALLY BAD hockey executive. In fact, he may be the worst in history (someone look it up).

So would a player want to play with a management team that has produced the worse team over 14 years. NO WAY. That is the problem. GET rid of Lowe and Mac T. Time for new management with a plan and understanding of what it takes to make a good team. Enough of the journey man hockey dribble.

#50 Jnews14
January 17 2014, 07:00PM

@Joy S. Lee

Well said Joy S. Lee. I think your last comments summarize the what has been driving this team for quite some time now and why it is so flawed. The leadership group of the Oilers still firmly believe they are ahead of the curve because they won cups as players. However, time and time again they are showing they are well behind the rest of the league and are not able to evolve fast enough to come anywhere close to catching up, especially when the only new minds we bring in are friends of Lowe, some who have been employed by Lowe another time in the past.

This leadership group is doomed in its current state. Katz needs to poach a smart hockey mind from a successful organization and let that person take the reins as president if he ever wants this team to compete the NHL again.