GDB 55.0: BACK-TO-BACK ON EVEN GROUND

Jason Gregor
January 27 2014 01:54PM

For the second time this season the Oilers will face a team where both of them of are playing on consecutive nights. The Oilers lost 5-4 to the Blackhawks earlier this season. Last night while the Oilers were dominating the Predators 5-1, the Canucks defeated the Coyotes 5-4 in OT, and tonight the Oilers will look to improve their ugly record in back-to-back games.

The Oilers are 1-5-2 in the second game of back-to-backs while the Canucks are 5-4-2. Dallas Eakins will play the odds and give Ben Scrivens the night off, despite a solid performance last night, and start Ilya Bryzgalov. I understand why he is going with Bryzgalov, most goalies Sv% is lower the second night, but I thought he might roll the dice and go with Scrivens.

Scrivens played back-to-back once this year with LA, winning both games and posting a shutout on the second night. Last season Scrivens played consecutive games once, shutting out Florida the first night, but then he allowed 4 goals on 13 shots in 46 minutes vs. Tampa the following night.

Those are the only two times in his career he's started back-to-back, and while the odds say it is better to give your goalie a rest on the 2nd night, I would have went with Scrivens, mainly due to Bryzgalov's brutal play so far in 2014.

In six starts in 2014 he is 1-4-1 and his numbers in those starts aren't very good:

January 03rd vs. Ana... 5-2 L with a .865Sv%
January 05th vs. TB..... 5-3 W with a .889Sv%
January 07th vs STL.... 5-2 L with a .862Sv%
January 14th vs. DALL.5-2 L with a .862Sv%
January 18th vs WGP.. 3-2 L with a .923Sv%
January 24th vs. PHO. 4-3 L with a .862Sv%

He has an ugly .877 Sv% in his last six games, and he needs to find some consistency in his game. I haven't seen anything from Bryzgalov that would suggest the Oilers will be interested in re-signing him, and if he has aspirations of signing with another team in the summer he needs to improve.

He will need to be much better tonight if the Oilers want to win two straight for the first time in a month.

While Eakins is playing the odds, the Canucks will start Roberto Luongo for the second straight game.

Luongo has started both games of a back-to-back twice this season, and he's 1-1 and played great in both. He had a solid .931 SV% in a 2-1 loss to Chicago and a sparkling .951SV% in a 6-2 drubbing of the Bruins. 

It is interesting to note that Luongo and his back up, Eddie Lack, have almost identical number, yet the Canucks will go with the veteran. 

In 37 starts Luongo has a .922Sv% and a 2.23 GAA.
In 20 appearances Lack has a .922Sv% and a 2.18 GAA.

With Chicago coming to town on Wednesday, I wonder if the Canucks feel tonight is a game they must win, thus going with their starter? Prior to this season the last time Luongo started on consecutive nights was November 20th and 21st of 2010. He got pulled the first game vs. Chicago, and then lost the next night vs. Phoenix and both games his sv% was below .890.

Under Tortorella he has played very well in the 2nd game, albeit a very small sample size of two games, so it will be interesting to see which coach looks better after the game. Eakins for playing the odds or the Canucks for going with their starter.

LINEUP...

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Yakupov
Hendricks-Gordon-Jones
Gazdic-Smyth-Joensuu

Marincin-Petry
N.Schultz-J.Schultz
Belov-Potter

Bryzgalov

Smyth's line had a very strong game last night. They were very good on the cycle and gave the Oilers an early boost on the J.Schultz goal. We'll see how often Eakins uses them tonight, but if they get off to a good start he'd be wise to give them 8-10 min of ES time.

Martin Marincin continues to play very well. He is poised, smart and usually he has very good positioning. It was only a few months ago that people were ripping Stu MacGregor for his draft picks outside of the top-ten. I've mentioned it many times, but it is worth repeating, you usually wait five years after a draft class to accurately evaluate picks outside of the first round. If Marincin keeps playing like this, and Pitlick keeps developing, the 2010 class could turn out to be outstanding. We'll see.

QUICK HITS...

  • I asked Smyth his thoughts if MacTavish approached him about a trade. "It is out of my control, because I don't have a no-trade clause, but if he approached me I'd listen. It would be tough, because I love playing in Edmonton, but..," said Smyth.

    In the past few weeks I've exchanged texts with a few GMs and scouts and asked their thoughts on Smyth.  "He could add some depth in your bottom six. He can kill penalties and he is still good in front of the net on the PP. I think he's better when you monitor his icetime," said one scout.
     
  • Smyth should benefit nicely from the Olympic break. He'll have a chance to rest, and I believe a few teams will inquire about him. Last year many scoffed when the Blackhawks picked up Michal Handzus at the deadline, but he ended up playing top-six minutes for them in the playoffs and was a valuable asset during the Cup run.

    I don't see Smyth playing top-six minutes, but teams love experience and guys who know how to compete every night. Smyth does that, and I could see him being moved before the deadline likely for a mid-round pick. 
     
  • A player people need to go watch and potential free agents....Read here.

TONIGHT...

GAME DAY PREDICTION: The Oilers struggles in back-to-back games continue with a 4-2 loss.

OBVIOUS GAME DAY PREDICTION: Eberle continues his recent hot streak and scores on the PP.

NOT-SO-OBVIOUS GAME DAY PREDICTION: Early in the second period Bieksa fires a shot from the point and it deflects off a stick into Zack Kassian's grill. He is bloodied and as he skates back to the Canucks bench, Sam Gagner stands up on the Oilers bench, stares at Kassian but says nothing and sits down. David Perron leans over to talk with him, and you can see Gagner say, "Karma."

RECENTLY BY JASON GREGOR 

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
One of Canada's most versatile sports personalities. Jason hosts The Jason Gregor Show, weekdays from 2 to 6 p.m., on TSN 1260, and he writes a column every Monday in the Edmonton Journal. You can follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/JasonGregor
Avatar
#51 Johnnydapunk
January 27 2014, 05:04PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers
Randaman wrote:

Unfortunately the buyers market is for everywhere else but Edmonton. There will have to be major overpayment for us to get a true #1 Goaltender or a #1 defenceman for that matter. Trades or grow your own are the only options available to us, especially with 6 Rings at the helm. Sad but True!

It's gonna bed easier to get a Number 1 Goalie here than an #1 Defence-man. If you look at how many goalies exceeded expectations due to injuries, there are more decent goalies with contracts expiring then there are places for them. Goalies like Scrivens were available because of the play of Jones in LA, Mazanec isn't half bad either and there will be a bit of an issue come summer for Nashville, not including Dubnyk. Anaheim is also gonna be offloading a goalie in the summer as well. Capgeek is a great source to see who is available.

The Oil are gonna have to overpay no matter what, but they have a better chance to get a decent Goalie just because no matter how bad it seems, the Oil are still an NHL team and a goalie would rather be overpaid here than have to go play in Europe or Russia.

Depending on the RFA specific rules, the Oil could go after a goalie in that market, but I would think they would rather save the picks that it would cost them for trying to find an RFA defenceman where they may have to go as the UFA market for Dmen is pretty dire.

The Oilers priority should be proper Defencemen as that will also make a difference in attracting a decent, albeit overpaid goalie.

Avatar
#52 Randaman
January 27 2014, 06:19PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
Johnnydapunk wrote:

He is 37, this is his last chance I think. I don't say let him dictate his terms but give him some options. I don't know him personally so I can only speculate, but it depends on what he wants. If he has that desire to try to win a Cup, then let him go and try and trade him for a draft pick or future considerations and offer him a contract in the summer. If he feels that the good ship Stanley has passed and he wants to play out as an Oiler, give him another deal, I wouldn't sign him to a 5 year contract, but I would go for a 2 year deal on low-ish money, or one year deals on a rotating basis.

I think he has a few good years left for him as long as his minutes are "monitored" as he hasn't had any major injury concerns so for a 37 year old that gets cross checked in the back, takes pucks off his body and has never scored a goal farther away that a foot from the crease, you have that 3-4 line player who can get the dirty goals in the power play and play the "garbage" minutes.

Bottom line is that he gets the choice, I don't think too many players in the NHL are deserving of that, but he is one of them.

I agree with everything but resigning him. I love his drive and intangibles and have much respect for Smytty but I think the time has come. Just my thoughts. I think the money could be better spent eleswhere unless he will take 1m tops

Avatar
#53 Spydyr
January 27 2014, 06:20PM
Trash it!
20
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers

If Smyth is offered another contract "the braintrust" here is even worse then I thought.

I did not think that was possible.

Avatar
#55 Serious Gord
January 27 2014, 06:26PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers
Jason Gregor wrote:

Look at Bryzgalov SV% since leaving Phoenix...

This year... 0.901 in 16 games. Last year... 0.900 in 40 games. 2011/2012... 0.909 in 59 games.

Does it take three years to get his game back?

He isn't going to be the goalie he was in Phoenix again.

I don't see why anyone would be confident with him as the starter heading into next season.

With the Defence he had in PHX it can be argued that Bryz never was that goalie.

Avatar
#56 meh...
January 27 2014, 06:39PM
Trash it!
14
trashes
Cheers
14
cheers
Johnnydapunk wrote:

He is 37, this is his last chance I think. I don't say let him dictate his terms but give him some options. I don't know him personally so I can only speculate, but it depends on what he wants. If he has that desire to try to win a Cup, then let him go and try and trade him for a draft pick or future considerations and offer him a contract in the summer. If he feels that the good ship Stanley has passed and he wants to play out as an Oiler, give him another deal, I wouldn't sign him to a 5 year contract, but I would go for a 2 year deal on low-ish money, or one year deals on a rotating basis.

I think he has a few good years left for him as long as his minutes are "monitored" as he hasn't had any major injury concerns so for a 37 year old that gets cross checked in the back, takes pucks off his body and has never scored a goal farther away that a foot from the crease, you have that 3-4 line player who can get the dirty goals in the power play and play the "garbage" minutes.

Bottom line is that he gets the choice, I don't think too many players in the NHL are deserving of that, but he is one of them.

It would be impossible for me to disagree with you more, on ANY of the points you bring up.

Smyth is old. His legs are gone. He was given his current contract (at an over-payment) as a "thank you" for times gone by. The "thank you" has been paid. Thanks a bunch, love ya, good bye.

Most fans are in agreement that culture change and player changes are needed to resurrect this mess from irrelevance. "The Old Boy Club", is detested, and needs to be dissipated and a new start is needed. The "Club" is mocked on this very site on a DAILY basis!

Yet the "Holy Grail " of Ryan Smyth has some people getting all sentimental and wanting to hire him as an assistant coach,or sign him to another contract because he once was a good player for the team.

I ask you, is that not THE EXACT thing that has Oilerland up in arms with frustration???? Do you want to change things or do you want to put up another statue and create another position for another ex-player that used to be good, and continue to live in the past?

Because ya damn sure can't have it both ways...

Avatar
#57 Dave
January 27 2014, 06:41PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

Sure let us not go with the hot hand or at least warm hand.

Avatar
#58 meh...
January 27 2014, 07:11PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers
Spydyr wrote:

If Smyth is offered another contract "the braintrust" here is even worse then I thought.

I did not think that was possible.

You are correct.He is finished.

Avatar
#59 Maggie the Monkey
January 27 2014, 07:20PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
16
cheers

When I see the letters "B r y z g a l o v" I'm starting to read "Khabibulin".

Avatar
#60 Johnnydapunk
January 27 2014, 07:20PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
17
cheers
meh... wrote:

It would be impossible for me to disagree with you more, on ANY of the points you bring up.

Smyth is old. His legs are gone. He was given his current contract (at an over-payment) as a "thank you" for times gone by. The "thank you" has been paid. Thanks a bunch, love ya, good bye.

Most fans are in agreement that culture change and player changes are needed to resurrect this mess from irrelevance. "The Old Boy Club", is detested, and needs to be dissipated and a new start is needed. The "Club" is mocked on this very site on a DAILY basis!

Yet the "Holy Grail " of Ryan Smyth has some people getting all sentimental and wanting to hire him as an assistant coach,or sign him to another contract because he once was a good player for the team.

I ask you, is that not THE EXACT thing that has Oilerland up in arms with frustration???? Do you want to change things or do you want to put up another statue and create another position for another ex-player that used to be good, and continue to live in the past?

Because ya damn sure can't have it both ways...

Thing is, it's not like players are busting to come to Edmonton, the Oil aren't in a position to be that picky, it's usually a case of a player needing to be overpaid to come here.

Smyth plays a role with the Oil, and if we were to even look at his stats without the " Holy Grail Halo" he has put up the same number of points as Yakupov with close to the same minutes, he has more points than Gordon, and looking around the NHL, he is on par with Eller, Stajan, Berglund and Dupuis. Whilst they aren't exactly Crosby or anything, they are decent enough players and he is making less than they all are with the exception of Eller. He is being relatively productive for the money he makes.

I wouldn't consider myself a fan of the Old Boys club and I'm rarely the sentimental type, but giving him the options and being nice about it can only help in attracting players. If he was to go to another team and it was against his wishes, I'm sure he will talk and it won't be all sunshine for the Oil, if you give him the choice and he wants to be traded, I can imagine him talking about the Oil in a positive light which makes it that much easier to bring players over.

The Oil need all the help they can get and getting rid of him if it was against his wishes just for the sake of eliminating the Old Boys club is a bit pointless. His stats still show he has something to offer and as long as it's not a stupid long overpriced deal, I don't think there is any issue.

Who knows, maybe he wants to retire.

Btw fair play in being polite in disagreeing, sometimes I find that people here can at times be a bit impolite and resort to name calling and bitter crap, and your points were nicely put out, even if I disagree.

Avatar
#61 Woogie63
January 27 2014, 07:46PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers

55 games are gone, what have learnt;

Hall, Eberle, RNH, Perron, Gordon, Petry are solid & can be built around.

Marincin, J. Shultz have improved and continue to show promise

Yakupov had a bad year, but there is promise

Hendrick, Pitlick can maybe be that dritty 3 line player

Gagner, Eakins had bad years there is NO promise here

We need a;

2C - trade for this position 1D ( please make them left shooting) - draft Ekblad (i know he is right handed) 1G - this from free agency

Smyth, Hemsky, Shultz, Bryz are good rental for a team looking for depth for a play-off run

Avatar
#62 meh...
January 27 2014, 07:51PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
Johnnydapunk wrote:

Thing is, it's not like players are busting to come to Edmonton, the Oil aren't in a position to be that picky, it's usually a case of a player needing to be overpaid to come here.

Smyth plays a role with the Oil, and if we were to even look at his stats without the " Holy Grail Halo" he has put up the same number of points as Yakupov with close to the same minutes, he has more points than Gordon, and looking around the NHL, he is on par with Eller, Stajan, Berglund and Dupuis. Whilst they aren't exactly Crosby or anything, they are decent enough players and he is making less than they all are with the exception of Eller. He is being relatively productive for the money he makes.

I wouldn't consider myself a fan of the Old Boys club and I'm rarely the sentimental type, but giving him the options and being nice about it can only help in attracting players. If he was to go to another team and it was against his wishes, I'm sure he will talk and it won't be all sunshine for the Oil, if you give him the choice and he wants to be traded, I can imagine him talking about the Oil in a positive light which makes it that much easier to bring players over.

The Oil need all the help they can get and getting rid of him if it was against his wishes just for the sake of eliminating the Old Boys club is a bit pointless. His stats still show he has something to offer and as long as it's not a stupid long overpriced deal, I don't think there is any issue.

Who knows, maybe he wants to retire.

Btw fair play in being polite in disagreeing, sometimes I find that people here can at times be a bit impolite and resort to name calling and bitter crap, and your points were nicely put out, even if I disagree.

You raise some valid points in regards to nobody being in a rush to come to Edmonton, and Smyth surely has experience plus.

What I would contend, is that those minutes he provides are costing somebody else ice time. Smyth is done and if we MUST suck, let's at least suck developing players for the future.

Do any of his goals(7,one of which hit him in the chest, with a minus 15),aside from giving fans a warm fuzzy feeling,help us next year? Wouldn't the Oil be further ahead giving those minutes (for a total point disadvantage of minus 8) developing someone who isn't done? And that doesn't even address the difference in performance between age 37 and say, 38 or 39.

No point in wasting a contract,time,money,and minutes watching Reggie Dunlop playing out the string,bring in a kid to learn.

Avatar
#63 sintaxi
January 27 2014, 08:09PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers
Jason Gregor wrote:

Look at Bryzgalov SV% since leaving Phoenix...

This year... 0.901 in 16 games. Last year... 0.900 in 40 games. 2011/2012... 0.909 in 59 games.

Does it take three years to get his game back?

He isn't going to be the goalie he was in Phoenix again.

I don't see why anyone would be confident with him as the starter heading into next season.

Why is it you see save percentage as a more meaningful statistic than wins/losses? To me this is exactly the attitude that leads us to having goalies like Dubnyk. Someone who doesnt make the save when the game is on the line. I prefer a goalie who competes to win.

Last time I checked wins are the only true meaningful statistic.

Avatar
#64 Brian
January 27 2014, 08:11PM
Trash it!
15
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers

According to HockeyZonePlus, Smyth has made $ 52.2 million and counting. He needs no more thank you'd than a "Smyth Night ". He does not need a token job on this broken oiler boy bus. Stick technology passed him by . Can't skate anymore . Thanks, Ryan. Move along .

Avatar
#65 Johnnydapunk
January 27 2014, 08:26PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
meh... wrote:

You raise some valid points in regards to nobody being in a rush to come to Edmonton, and Smyth surely has experience plus.

What I would contend, is that those minutes he provides are costing somebody else ice time. Smyth is done and if we MUST suck, let's at least suck developing players for the future.

Do any of his goals(7,one of which hit him in the chest, with a minus 15),aside from giving fans a warm fuzzy feeling,help us next year? Wouldn't the Oil be further ahead giving those minutes (for a total point disadvantage of minus 8) developing someone who isn't done? And that doesn't even address the difference in performance between age 37 and say, 38 or 39.

No point in wasting a contract,time,money,and minutes watching Reggie Dunlop playing out the string,bring in a kid to learn.

In the grand scheme of things, the performance of any of the Oil currently is borderline irrelevant, there are a few exceptions of course.

One of the big issues (among many) is that the Oil bring players up too soon, and when they don't perform, they get traded for next to nothing and it isn't until a few seasons later they turn out half decent. I would rather have the Oil's minor league players stay in the AHL or even the ECHL to develop their size and in a dream world a system that is consistent throughout the three teams to make the adjustment easier. But players like Hejda, Cogliano, and Brodziak to name a few came here and they weren't ready. I don't think you could ever spend too much time in the minors developing.

I'm not gonna say sign Smyth right now, but wait and see and I think players know when their time is done, some try to stretch it out, but again without knowing Smyth, maybe he has had enough? Maybe he feels that it's better to leave with the crowd wanting more. I dunno. I think it is a decision to be made in the summer, it's also dependant on if the Oil can get some players they need.

I do get all the points you make though, guess we will see what happens, it's not like it can get much worse, can it? ( I hope it doesn't get any worse)

I did forget to point out that if a player can get 50 goals by bouncing them off his a** then his cup, I have no problems with that as a goal is a goal. And he is still on par with Yakupov in points (think Yak has one more now as of his assist just now) and no one for the Oil has a decent +/- so I wouldn't be too concerned about that stat for any of the Oil.

Avatar
#66 @Oilanderp
January 27 2014, 08:32PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers

Nice Gagsian pass on the first goal.

I wish WE had a center that could do that.

Avatar
#67 wellsy
January 27 2014, 08:36PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

outworked, goal#1...

Avatar
#68 @Oilanderp
January 27 2014, 08:40PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers

Baaaaad bounce..skate...stick...net.

Shrug it off!

Avatar
#69 Brian
January 27 2014, 08:47PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
16
cheers
Maggie the Monkey wrote:

When I see the letters "B r y z g a l o v" I'm starting to read "Khabibulin".

Reminds me of the Czech hockey player taking an eye exam reading one of those wall charts from 15 feet away or so. Doctor asks him, "Can you read the bottom line?" Czech player says, "Read it? I know him."

Sorry.

Avatar
#70 @Oilanderp
January 27 2014, 08:55PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
20
cheers

Perron's a beaut.

Avatar
#71 Sailge
January 27 2014, 09:15PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
16
cheers

2-2 game Perron with 2 and Potter with 2.... Into our own net.

Corey Potter, you are unbelievable.

Avatar
#72 @Oilanderp
January 27 2014, 09:15PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers

Man, Taylor Hall is fast.

Potter is unlucky tonight.

Avatar
#73 Oilerz4life
January 27 2014, 09:18PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
13
cheers

Good call on starting Bryz tonight, he's been sharp.

Avatar
#74 meh...
January 27 2014, 09:26PM
Trash it!
34
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

Smyth...2 minutes for holding because time has passed him by and he can't keep up.

Avatar
#75 Reg Dunlop
January 27 2014, 10:00PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
34
cheers

Marincin as a beanpole rookie is not looking overwhelmed. We are looking at the first real home grown piece of the future, proof that OKC is doing it right. For the first time this year I am optimistic. Go oil.

Avatar
#76 @Oilanderp
January 27 2014, 10:04PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
26
cheers

Smytty tricked Joensuu into thinking this was a pre-season game.

Avatar
#77 @Oilanderp
January 27 2014, 10:04PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

Go Oil!

Avatar
#78 kale
January 27 2014, 10:07PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
22
cheers

The only thing that would make this game better was if it was not on sportsnet

Avatar
#79 Romanus
January 27 2014, 10:27PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
16
cheers
meh... wrote:

Smyth...2 minutes for holding because time has passed him by and he can't keep up.

BS. He was try to squeeze by a guy. Refs got that one wrong.

Avatar
#80 @Oilanderp
January 27 2014, 10:34PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
18
cheers

Jones saves a goal.

Why did it take so long to blow the whistle there?!?!?!?

Avatar
#81 hankthetank
January 27 2014, 10:44PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

I can has win?

Avatar
#82 gongshow
January 27 2014, 10:50PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

Is this a 'Ride The Whip' moment?

Avatar
#83 @Oilanderp
January 27 2014, 10:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
22
cheers

SUCK IT CANUCKS!

Avatar
#84 Slats
January 27 2014, 10:51PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

Only an 80 comment night on a hard fought game against the Canucks wtf!

Apathy has a grip on the City of Champs sad . . . But understandable.

Avatar
#85 Dan
January 27 2014, 10:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
20
cheers

Best game this season. Every guy was playing hard and standing up for themselves. Vancouver could only manage two fluke goals. Nice to see kassian give up the puck to give perron his hat trick and Finish the nucks. Sweet stuff. It's too bad it took a whole season for Eakins to learn how to coach in the NHL.

Avatar
#86 Louie DeBrusk
January 27 2014, 10:58PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers

Blue Paint. Blue Paint. Blue Paint. Isn't neat how I say Blue Paint. Now call me a cab. Oh yeah, I have to bus in Vancouver for a while.

Avatar
#87 K_Mart
January 27 2014, 11:01PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
15
cheers

Jones with the game saver in the third. Jones is such a beauty. Love that guy.

Avatar
#88 dougtheslug
January 27 2014, 11:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
29
cheers

Am I imagining things or is that 2 pretty good games in a row for J Schulz?

Avatar
#89 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
January 27 2014, 11:09PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Cheers
35
cheers

Just curious.....who would take Sean Monahan over Darnell Nurse if you had a choice right now?

Trash this if you'd take Monahan Prop it if you'd take Nurse.

Avatar
#90 oilersd
January 27 2014, 11:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

Nice hard fought win. Canucks came hard in the second half but the oil played pretty decent I their own end. Yak was feisty. Lil dirty but I like that. Good battle level again tonight. They stood their ground to a man. Fun game to watch.

Avatar
#91 Quinn the Eskimo
January 27 2014, 11:11PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

Man, I got trashed hard last week after the 'Kill Kass' game for appreciating that Eakins wanting to play hockey, not MMA. I said Oil played well. trashed again. RU watching?

Avatar
#92 Quinn the Eskimo
January 27 2014, 11:14PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers

Oh, and screw you, Zack Assian. How does Perron's a$$ smell?

Avatar
#93 BingBong
January 27 2014, 11:15PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

Not necessarily pretty at times, but a nice win nonetheless.

Things that stood out: Bryz made 2 big saves with the game on the line (Higgins break and cross-ice late) - we haven't gotten those saves all year.

Schultz (and Petry) looked good again,like last night. They both look confident, usually making the smart play. They're giving me hope.

I thought Yak played great, as did Gagner. Just typing that felt weird.

Avatar
#94 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
January 27 2014, 11:18PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
dougtheslug wrote:

Am I imagining things or is that 2 pretty good games in a row for J Schulz?

Thank God....and I mean Thank God. I was extremely worried that he was going to be a bust. He had regressed so much in those first 40 games. I have renewed hope because he has looked a lot more like I expected/hoped he would at this stage of his career. He's still not physical but that's OK...he's playing better positional hockey, jumping into the play more, creating some offense, and getting a few shots through.....and he's not getting pushed around as much as he used to.

Avatar
#95 TCG
January 27 2014, 11:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers

Happened to be at the game tonite. I thought that the Oilers played with composure until the final 5 minutes of the third. In fact the 'Nucks only had 1 shot in the first 10 mins of that third frame.

First live game of the year and a couple of things I noted: Marincin and Petry looked good (especially Marincin's gaps and stick to puck)....and so did jultz....belov definitely has some footspeed issues. Was NOT Potter's night unfortunately....but what a game by the line of Gags, Yak, and Perron. I told my wife before the game started that they were the suspect line for poor defense...but tonite they took it to the Canucks...hatty for Perron!!

Wasn't expecting a win so I gotta say: GO OILERS!!!!

Avatar
#96 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
January 27 2014, 11:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
12
cheers
Quinn the Eskimo wrote:

Oh, and screw you, Zack Assian. How does Perron's a$$ smell?

Putting aside the goals he scores.....I love Perron because he sticks up for his team mates, he goes into the dirty areas, he rallies the team verbally, he shows encouragement to guys like Yak when the others don't seem to do so. He seems like one hell of a team mate and a team player. I know it won't happen but this guy should be given some consideration for Captain. At least an A.

Avatar
#97 dougtheslug
January 27 2014, 11:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty) wrote:

Thank God....and I mean Thank God. I was extremely worried that he was going to be a bust. He had regressed so much in those first 40 games. I have renewed hope because he has looked a lot more like I expected/hoped he would at this stage of his career. He's still not physical but that's OK...he's playing better positional hockey, jumping into the play more, creating some offense, and getting a few shots through.....and he's not getting pushed around as much as he used to.

I kept waiting for him to lose body position behind the net like he has been doing - and he kept surprising me by ending up on the right side of the puck. You are right - not physical, but smart. OK its just a couple of games, but I am feeling a strange feeling after tonight.

Is it Hope?

Avatar
#98 A-Mc
January 27 2014, 11:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
11
cheers
TCG wrote:

Happened to be at the game tonite. I thought that the Oilers played with composure until the final 5 minutes of the third. In fact the 'Nucks only had 1 shot in the first 10 mins of that third frame.

First live game of the year and a couple of things I noted: Marincin and Petry looked good (especially Marincin's gaps and stick to puck)....and so did jultz....belov definitely has some footspeed issues. Was NOT Potter's night unfortunately....but what a game by the line of Gags, Yak, and Perron. I told my wife before the game started that they were the suspect line for poor defense...but tonite they took it to the Canucks...hatty for Perron!!

Wasn't expecting a win so I gotta say: GO OILERS!!!!

Screw Draft position, if I had to pick one of Perron Gagner or Yak, so far I pick Perron 10 times out of 10. I cannot believe MacT snagged him for magnus. It's not even close, this is a huge win for MacT.

Avatar
#99 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
January 27 2014, 11:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

So I wonder what it is? ......a lot of guys have looked a little better lately......J Schultz, Jones, Yak, Marincin,....even Smitty........what's up?

Avatar
#100 Lawndemon
January 27 2014, 11:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

You can all thank me for that win. My son and I were at the game in our finest Oilers attire sitting in direct line with the camera. The plan was to put on the sad face paper bags we brought along once the game was out of hand. Of course they show up and win. Seriously, what were the odds of that? We would have been total humps if we had bagged up so the whole plan went to waste.

I suspect they lose the rest of the games this year just to further thwart me.

Comments are closed for this article.