Ben Scrivens.

Jonathan Willis
January 29 2014 11:06PM

Ben Scrivens.

Need we say more?

Most Saves In A Shutout

This table via Hockey-Reference.com, which has all NHL data going back to 1987-88:

Rk Player Date Team Opp. Dec. Shots Saves
1 Ben Scrivens 1/29/2014 EDM SJS W 59 59
2 Mike Smith 4/3/2012 PHX CBJ W 54 54
3 Craig Anderson 3/2/2008 FLA NYI W 53 53
4 Curtis Joseph 12/10/1996 EDM DET T 52 52
5 Jonathan Quick 12/13/2010 LAK DET W 51 51
6 Martin Brodeur 1/12/2010 NJD NYR W 51 51
7 Glenn Healy 1/16/1990 NYI VAN W 51 51
8 James Reimer 2/4/2012 TOR OTT W 49 49
9 Niklas Backstrom 2/19/2012 MIN BOS W 48 48
10 Cam Ward 2/2/2012 CAR BOS W 47 47

The Oilers Defensive System

On second thought, let's not talk about that.

So Scrivens?

Yeah. That was something else.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
#101 Zarny
January 30 2014, 10:38AM

Ben Scrivens...just awesome last night.

If Dubnyk letting in beach balls over the first 20 games was all bad coaching by Eakins (LMAO) I guess last night was a Jack Adams' performance.

#102 pkam
January 30 2014, 10:40AM
Tikkanese wrote:

I remember Ron Tugnutt having a 70 saves on 71 shots night against the Bruins, including 20 shots from Ray Bourque. Not sure how 63 saves is the record.

Where is your 63 saves coming from?

59 saves is the new record for regulation shutout.

#103 Freewheeling Freddie
January 30 2014, 10:40AM
Dave wrote:

Will Chabot ruin Scrivens ?

Yes. Time for Chabot to go bye bye

#104 Me
January 30 2014, 10:41AM
UnderOil wrote:

Man...with the season we've been dealt I really needed that lift last night. In light of the keeping issues we've had what a better way to feel good about something...

Too bad some of you missed the opportunity to celebrate it - you missed a very rare record being set.

Lighten up.

You're a very sad person if you depend on a team you don't play for to give you a lift and give you something to feel good about.

#105 oilerjed
January 30 2014, 10:45AM
Me wrote:

I wish I could trash comments like this infinetly. Turn off your computer, go outside and go say mean things to people face to face. That way you can get immediate feedback.

#106 pkam
January 30 2014, 10:51AM
geoilersgist wrote:

Not going to lie, I am very sad I didn't watch the game last night

Hope this will make you feel better, I traded my tickets to my buddy for the Phoenix game because I had to go to some training last night. To make it worse, there were a few Coyotes fans sitting behind me swearing all night long.

#107 Hemmercules
January 30 2014, 10:56AM
Me wrote:

If these are the comments you feel you need to make then the only thing that's sad is you. You obviously missed the last two words:

Lighten up.

#108 Tikkanese
January 30 2014, 11:17AM
pkam wrote:

Where is your 63 saves coming from?

59 saves is the new record for regulation shutout.

Maybe read the post I was replying to, to find your answer. He said 59 saves was 4 short of the record for saves in a game. No one even mentioned a shutout. I'll have whatever you're smoking.

#109 Tikkanese
January 30 2014, 11:22AM

I can understand the "logic" of keeping Lowe around given his 6 rings, work with Team Canada, history with the team and so on.

What is the "logic" of having Chabot around? Or even behind the hiring in the first place?

#110 pkam
January 30 2014, 11:33AM
Tikkanese wrote:

You are the one who should read the post you were replying to more carefully. tileguy said 4 shots shy of the "SHOT ON GOAL" record in regulation, not "SAVES".

#111 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
January 30 2014, 11:38AM
pkam wrote:

The NHL record for saves in a regulation game is 80 (out of 83 shots), set by Sam LoPresti in 1941.

#112 pkam
January 30 2014, 12:08PM
Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things wrote:

How is your reply related to my answer to Tikkanese?

#113 ryan
January 30 2014, 12:34PM

I burst out laughing when i saw that defensive system picture and comment. Thanks for that

#114 Harry
January 30 2014, 01:10PM

I know its only one game but I wonder if that goof serious gord still prefers Dubnyk over Scrivens

#115 Cynic
January 30 2014, 01:34PM
oilerjed wrote:

Pot. Meet Kettle. If there's anyone who needs to go outside it's Oiler fan in general and you in particular. Yah, you, in theh front row. Have you ever kissed girl? Stop fapping to your Ben Scrivens wall poster and discover the world outside the Oilers.

#116 Johnnydapunk
January 30 2014, 01:43PM

I have to say that last night was one of the first times I clapped in front of the TV in years, I think Gagner's 8 point night was the last time.

Despite Scrivens seeming to downplay the whole thing in his interviews after the game, they showed him skating around the ice when he was the first star and it looked like it meant something to him, even if he was trying to hide it. He looked like he was gonna cry.

I have a sneaking suspicion that even if he gives the impression of not wanting to be here, inside he loves wearing the Oil jersey. And I don't care who you are, if you're a sports fan and you get the honour to wear your hometown jersey and play the game of your life, it means something to you. Last night, he was that "hero" he dreamt of being as a kid.

I'm only guessing of course, but that was the impression I got.

#117 pkam
January 30 2014, 02:33PM
Harry wrote:

Serious gord like Dubnyk? Seriously? This is shocking news to me.

#118 Joy S. Lee
January 30 2014, 03:17PM
Serious Gord wrote:

While I hope Scrivens has had a come to Jesus moment and is now a solid starting goalie, I saw roman turek play, saw flames fans go bananas for him after 20 games of fantastic goaltending and saw Craig button (very nice guy) sign him to a huge contract that might be in the top ten for worst goalie signings ever and saw it cost him his job.

I fear that all of the above could happen with Scrivens except for MacT getting fired.

Difference is, Scrivens is an all-out battler, competitive, and relentless in his approach to save everything. He doesn't give up. That's the type of guy you DO give a contract to.

Let me ask you this: what elements has this team been short on for years? Battling and Competing? And, if we find a goalie with the personality that fits that mold, do you suppose that personality might begin to rub off on the team?

Yeah, sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture. Not only is the guy FROM here, but I'm thinking maybe he BELONGS here. He may even be seen as the piece to the puzzle that finally elevates the group where it belongs, or at least starts the ascension.

Yes, he's not going to stop everything every night, especially with the awful D-zone coverage this team is capable of, but what an awesome display of determination and focus. It's a big picture game, and those who see it - like MacT - know far better what they're doing than those who choose to see all of the negatives. I'd sure sign the guy. He's only 27, he's still in the development mode, he's intelligent, he's local, and he's a team guy. 'Nuff said. It shouldn't take ridiculous money, either.

#119 Joy S. Lee
January 30 2014, 03:25PM
oilerjed wrote:

I cant believe he pulled that off. Every period I was sure that that something was going to bounce of a skate or something. And was it just me or were those posts EXTRA loud last night, that ringing is stuck in my ears. Lastly, at long last the oilers finally know what desperate hockey is all about!! They were getting owned for 60 minutes but totally sold out on effort to help out the goalie. Its not the playoffs but at least they now have the slightest bit of a clue the effort required to do great things.

SCRIVENS!!!!!!!

I really like your point about desperation hockey. Not sure we've seen that here for...hmm...let me think...hmmm...ok, a LONG FREAKING TIME!!! Loved seeing it, loved seeing Scrivens battle, loved seeing the team choose the shutout as the goal, that's something else we haven't seen for a very long time. And then, best of all, they achieved it. Haven't seen a lot of that, either. PS: Interesting how prophetic Eakins' pre-game 1-0 hopes became.

#120 Joy S. Lee
January 30 2014, 03:33PM
Me wrote:

You're right, of course, but you're missing the point. We shouldn't be dependent on our team to lift our spirits, that's our own job. But we love hockey, and our team, you dork. Let us enjoy the moments where they DO LIFT US UP. Get your head out of your _____.

#121 UnderOil
January 30 2014, 04:39PM

Ok - sorry to sound like a doof - but why is he called the Professor? (I have tried not to ask this all day...be gentle).

#122 Rod from Viking
January 30 2014, 06:04PM

Bye Bye Chabot, bring in Ron the "Tugger" Tugnut at least he knows what it is like to play in Edmonton.

#123 Johnnydapunk
January 30 2014, 07:03PM
UnderOil wrote:

No such things as stupid questions :-)

He is called the Professor because he went to Cornell University which is a private Ivy league research University and his mask is filled with Shakespeare quotes.

That's about it really :-)

#124 4-93-14