Ben Scrivens.

Jonathan Willis
January 29 2014 11:06PM

Ben Scrivens.

Need we say more?

Most Saves In A Shutout

This table via Hockey-Reference.com, which has all NHL data going back to 1987-88:

Rk Player Date Team Opp. Dec. Shots Saves
1 Ben Scrivens 1/29/2014 EDM SJS W 59 59
2 Mike Smith 4/3/2012 PHX CBJ W 54 54
3 Craig Anderson 3/2/2008 FLA NYI W 53 53
4 Curtis Joseph 12/10/1996 EDM DET T 52 52
5 Jonathan Quick 12/13/2010 LAK DET W 51 51
6 Martin Brodeur 1/12/2010 NJD NYR W 51 51
7 Glenn Healy 1/16/1990 NYI VAN W 51 51
8 James Reimer 2/4/2012 TOR OTT W 49 49
9 Niklas Backstrom 2/19/2012 MIN BOS W 48 48
10 Cam Ward 2/2/2012 CAR BOS W 47 47

The Oilers Defensive System

On second thought, let's not talk about that.

So Scrivens?

Yeah. That was something else.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
#1 @kahmad92
January 29 2014, 11:08PM

I honestly love this article if we can even call it that!

#2 toprightcorner
January 29 2014, 11:08PM

Nope, Ben did all the talking tonight!!

#3 Czar
January 29 2014, 11:20PM
@kahmad92 wrote:

I honestly love this article if we can even call it that!

It's hard to write when you're still standing and clapping.

#4 NJ
January 29 2014, 11:26PM

A record for the ages! Ben Scrivens. A formerly dead fan base salutes you. Your 59 save shutout spells hope for the hopeless, strength to the weary, and healing to the brokenhearted.

Group hug.

#5 Rusty Patenaude
January 29 2014, 11:20PM

I have watched a whole lot of hockey in my life and I have never seen a better display of goaltending. It was one of those performances for the ages that I will never forget. Glenn Hall stoning the Montreal Canadiens in the 1968 Final...Kelly Hrudey in that marathon ot vs. the Caps...Grant Fuhr shutting out the Islanders for the first win of the '84 Final and now this.

#6 Retsinnab5
January 30 2014, 12:42AM
Mike Krushelnyski wrote:

Craig MacTavish has zero career home runs so idk what your talking about

Perron for Paajarvi?

Getting rid of Dubynk?

#7 Czar
January 30 2014, 12:17AM

Scrivens should have gotten all 3 stars!

#8 mlselli
January 30 2014, 06:59AM
Rdubb wrote:

Sorry Johnathon, but that was a waste of my time...if you're not going to write an article, than don't toss out a few text's from Oiler players and call it an article. I'd say a good chunk of people most likely "follow" a few of the people above and already read them... By far, the worst article you've put your name to, the worst article I have ever read on this site, and perhaps the worst article this site has ever published...not good from a writer If you were to "busy" still clapping, you should have waited another 10-15 minutes before copying the texts and pasting them, thought a minute, and wrote an article worth reading...

Reading your bullshart was a waste of time. If you don't like the article, don't read it. On a night that Edmonton celebrates the sensational skill of our goaltender, that results in a record breaking event, you decided to criticize. Scrivens deservers the accolades, and Jonathon honoured him.

#9 Retsinnab5
January 30 2014, 12:05AM
David wrote:

Fire lowe

Can we not just enjoy the moment?

59 SAVE SHUTOUT!!!

#10 Czar
January 29 2014, 11:53PM
Drowning in Oil wrote:

I would like to take this time to apologize to Mac T and Dallas Eakins. If I had only known your ultimate plan to have a goal stop 59 shots every night. Now I understand your logic and coaching. You have made a believer out of me..................... Not!!

Great game by Scrivens. I am happy for him but this team and coaching is still very, very lackluster!!

Dude! We're trying to have a good time here. Enjoy it for what it was, a record breaking night!!

#11 **
January 29 2014, 11:27PM

Best Article in the history of Oilers hockey. On a side note, wikipedia just updated the most shots in a shutout by a goaltender and put Scrivens in there, so it's confirmed: NHL record. He has actually biult up his game since he got here, go look at his stats and he's improved on every single game. Scrivens just single handedly jump-started the heart of Oilers nation.

#12 orangepylon
January 30 2014, 05:51AM
Rdubb wrote:

Dude. Relax. JW writes in-depth articles for ON and plenty of other sites daily. How annoyed could you possibly be for taking 20 seconds from your incredibly busy schedule to scroll down a short article in the middle of the night? Also. It's not Johnathon.

#13 R U Kidding Me!
January 30 2014, 01:32AM

Scrivens save % jumped from .930 to .937 in this 1 game. He now leads all goalies in that category.

#14 oilerjed
January 30 2014, 10:45AM
Me wrote:

You're a very sad person if you depend on a team you don't play for to give you a lift and give you something to feel good about.

I wish I could trash comments like this infinetly. Turn off your computer, go outside and go say mean things to people face to face. That way you can get immediate feedback.

#15 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
January 30 2014, 07:42AM
Rdubb wrote:

if i were you i would be sending a strongly worded email DEMANDING every single dollar you had to pay to be here be refunded immediately.

on your way out, please be sure to stop by the gift shop to grab a can of "Calm the F Down" and browse our assortment of "Im a party pooper" buttons that are sure to match your current collection.

#16 mlselli
January 30 2014, 12:07AM

Hopefully MacT hit another home run with signing Ben Scrivens. What a show he put on tonight tonight at home. He is bringing hope to the team. Go Oilers.

#17 ubermiguel
January 30 2014, 02:13AM

I haven't seen this team rally around a teammate like that in a long time. At the end of the 3rd period most of them would have taken a bullet for Scrivens. One for the ages.

#18 Oil Vice
January 30 2014, 07:25AM
Retsinnab5 wrote:

Perron for Paajarvi?

Getting rid of Dubynk?

Plus MacT actually found a trade for Horcoff...that was thought to be impossible.

#19 David
January 29 2014, 11:59PM

Fire lowe

#20 RexHolez
January 30 2014, 07:09AM
Rdubb wrote:

You're on a blogging site looking for legit articles?

#21 Clyde Frog
January 30 2014, 07:41AM

So....

He couldn't make it an even 60 saves?

Soooo bush league...

PS. To the people focusing on the fact that the ice was tilted vertically in our own zone. We have lost at least 6 games we should have won this year, let us jut enjoy an unbelievable performance from a position of extreme disappointment this year.

#22 Johe
January 29 2014, 11:45PM

Forget moral victories. This was an immoral victory. More please.

#23 Retsinnab5
January 29 2014, 11:47PM

Who needs Defence when you have The Professor in net!

IS THIS REAL LIFE???

#24 K_Mart
January 29 2014, 11:34PM

And Eakins just wanted a 1-0 win. Pffff. We can't lose if we never get scored on.

#25 Muji
January 30 2014, 02:03AM

Ben Scrivens. That was a lot of fun to watch! My heart was beating so fast. It was exactly like watching a pitcher go for a no-hitter.

#26 Zed
January 30 2014, 05:53AM

@Rdubb

Haters always gonna hate.

How goes the porta potty cleaning business Rdubb?

#27 Comrade GT
January 29 2014, 11:26PM

lol, great read

#28 UnderOil
January 30 2014, 07:31AM

Man...with the season we've been dealt I really needed that lift last night. In light of the keeping issues we've had what a better way to feel good about something...

Too bad some of you missed the opportunity to celebrate it - you missed a very rare record being set.

Lighten up.

#29 **
January 29 2014, 11:47PM
Johe wrote:

Forget moral victories. This was an immoral victory. More please.

It was a filthy victory, and I loved it.

#30 Walter Sobchak
January 30 2014, 12:05AM

WOW!!

#31 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
January 30 2014, 07:18AM

I am totally speechless. In the middle of the first period I said to my girlfriend "the Sharks are on pace for like 75 shots this game" and I was absolutely certain that it was going to be a blowout.

We'll be talking about this one for awhile!

#32 Oil Vice
January 30 2014, 07:31AM
Rdubb wrote:

@Rdubb Clearly this style of literature is above your head. Sometimes silence speak louder than words!

Ask any hockey coach...when the team(or a player in this case)is playing great then there is nothing to say.

Ben Scrivens'

Need we say more?

Not today we don't!

#33 Sandra
January 30 2014, 12:48AM

Once Freddy Chabbot gets a hold of him he'll be like Dubnyk.

#34 Will
January 30 2014, 12:07AM

Ah, typical Oilers. INsane record breaking individual performances, terrible overall team effort (I'm looking at you Gagner 8 points vs Chicago then 11 in two games or whatever).

This has got to be the worst team to cheer for. UNimaginable flashes of unrepeatable brilliance, followed by the never ending horror hat it was just kind of a one time thing and cannot be repeated or even imitated on a night to night basis. God I lovehate this team so much.

#35 Drowning in Oil
January 29 2014, 11:49PM

#36 Czar
January 30 2014, 12:59AM
Larry wrote:

Hey Grant. Do you prefer coke or Pepsi?

Pepsi with his rye, coke with his hookers.

#37 Hemmercules
January 30 2014, 10:56AM
Me wrote:

If these are the comments you feel you need to make then the only thing that's sad is you. You obviously missed the last two words:

Lighten up.

#38 Show me da Money
January 30 2014, 06:46AM
Sandra wrote:

Once Freddy Chabbot gets a hold of him he'll be like Dubnyk.

Sadly I gotta agree. Time will tell.

#39 Bloodsweatandoil
January 30 2014, 07:35AM

Pretty damn impressive. It was awesome watching a goalie clinic like that.

Tuff night for our young d-men,(not their fault) lots to learn as they were in way over their heads...lack of legitimate veteran #1 & 2 d-men was truly exposed tonight.

But on the other hand, San Jose has outshot their opponents in all games this year except for 11.

#40 I tried it at home
January 30 2014, 12:46AM

Lol, Jonathan, are you drunk? Great article, sir!

#41 Larry
January 30 2014, 12:25AM
Grant fuhr wrote:

I wish I could remember that game in 84' it was a blizzard that night.

Hey Grant. Do you prefer coke or Pepsi?

#42 Neal
January 30 2014, 03:35AM

Wow. Once again we've been given hope. Please stay

#43 Lochenzo
January 30 2014, 08:26AM

Most fun I've had watching my own team get dominated. Thanks Scrivens, fantastic job!

#44 james_dean
January 30 2014, 12:06AM

Records are meant to be broken

#45 Tim in Kelowna
January 30 2014, 01:46AM

This is how you win over a fan base. Brilliant goaltending. Extend that man's contract.

#46 Freewheeling Freddie
January 30 2014, 10:40AM
Dave wrote:

Will Chabot ruin Scrivens ?

Yes. Time for Chabot to go bye bye

#47 Pouzar99
January 30 2014, 01:51AM

If I hadn't seen that I would not have believed it. In fact I'm still not sure I believe it even though I did see it.

#48 Oil Vice
January 30 2014, 07:36AM
Czar wrote:

Scrivens should have gotten all 3 stars!

I totally agree!!

Back when CUJO put up his incredible 52 save shutout VS. Osgood the stars were...(in the journal the next day) 1.CUJO 2.CUJO 3.Osgood

#49 potential flush
January 29 2014, 11:39PM

Hard to complain about Scrivens performance but as an Oilers fan I'll try my best. "How did he let those two shots go by him? Thank God they hit the post!" Now I shall continue building my Scrivens shrine. Excuse me. :)

#50 Mike Krushelnyski