Ben Scrivens.

Jonathan Willis
January 29 2014 11:06PM

Ben Scrivens.

Need we say more?

Most Saves In A Shutout

This table via Hockey-Reference.com, which has all NHL data going back to 1987-88:

Rk Player Date Team Opp. Dec. Shots Saves
1 Ben Scrivens 1/29/2014 EDM SJS W 59 59
2 Mike Smith 4/3/2012 PHX CBJ W 54 54
3 Craig Anderson 3/2/2008 FLA NYI W 53 53
4 Curtis Joseph 12/10/1996 EDM DET T 52 52
5 Jonathan Quick 12/13/2010 LAK DET W 51 51
6 Martin Brodeur 1/12/2010 NJD NYR W 51 51
7 Glenn Healy 1/16/1990 NYI VAN W 51 51
8 James Reimer 2/4/2012 TOR OTT W 49 49
9 Niklas Backstrom 2/19/2012 MIN BOS W 48 48
10 Cam Ward 2/2/2012 CAR BOS W 47 47

The Oilers Defensive System

On second thought, let's not talk about that.

So Scrivens?

Yeah. That was something else.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
#1 Rdubb
January 30 2014, 05:32AM

Sorry Johnathon, but that was a waste of my time...if you're not going to write an article, than don't toss out a few text's from Oiler players and call it an article. I'd say a good chunk of people most likely "follow" a few of the people above and already read them... By far, the worst article you've put your name to, the worst article I have ever read on this site, and perhaps the worst article this site has ever published...not good from a writer If you were to "busy" still clapping, you should have waited another 10-15 minutes before copying the texts and pasting them, thought a minute, and wrote an article worth reading...

#2 Donnie
January 29 2014, 11:57PM
potential flush wrote:

Hard to complain about Scrivens performance but as an Oilers fan I'll try my best. "How did he let those two shots go by him? Thank God they hit the post!" Now I shall continue building my Scrivens shrine. Excuse me. :)

Fack off and go kiss your boyfriend.

#3 Drowning in Oil
January 29 2014, 11:49PM

I would like to take this time to apologize to Mac T and Dallas Eakins. If I had only known your ultimate plan to have a goal stop 59 shots every night. Now I understand your logic and coaching. You have made a believer out of me..................... Not!!

Great game by Scrivens. I am happy for him but this team and coaching is still very, very lackluster!!

#4 David
January 29 2014, 11:59PM

Fire lowe

#5 Mike Krushelnyski
January 30 2014, 12:09AM
mlselli wrote:

Hopefully MacT hit another home run with signing Ben Scrivens. What a show he put on tonight tonight at home. He is bringing hope to the team. Go Oilers.

Craig MacTavish has zero career home runs so idk what your talking about

#6 Boys on the Short Bus
January 30 2014, 12:29AM

Finally I understand the rebuild. It's the Maple Leafs get outshot 2 to 1, hope goalie channels his inner George Vezina. Great game BS first good Oiler memory since Sammy Snowpant great eight. I don't whether to cringe or laugh when I hear Eakins interviewed, reminds me of Claude Noel quirky. Dally surges ahead with narcissism , stupid slogans, aloof look in his eye as opponents fill the Oiler net . I love how he regales us with his tales of woe around town, sorry the kid was right the Oilers do suck and have for while now. The first wood you should chop is Smitty's stick. The only water I see being carried is by longest tenured Oiler Joey.

#7 Me
January 30 2014, 10:41AM
UnderOil wrote:

Man...with the season we've been dealt I really needed that lift last night. In light of the keeping issues we've had what a better way to feel good about something...

Too bad some of you missed the opportunity to celebrate it - you missed a very rare record being set.

Lighten up.

You're a very sad person if you depend on a team you don't play for to give you a lift and give you something to feel good about.

#8 Mike Krushelnyski
January 30 2014, 12:05AM
David wrote:

Fire lowe

#9 Serious Gord
January 30 2014, 07:39AM

While I hope Scrivens has had a come to Jesus moment and is now a solid starting goalie, I saw roman turek play, saw flames fans go bananas for him after 20 games of fantastic goaltending and saw Craig button (very nice guy) sign him to a huge contract that might be in the top ten for worst goalie signings ever and saw it cost him his job.

I fear that all of the above could happen with Scrivens except for MacT getting fired.

#10 YEGFan
January 29 2014, 11:44PM

That game is probably going to net Scrivens an extra couple million a year.

#11 potential flush
January 29 2014, 11:39PM

#12 Drowning in Oil
January 30 2014, 12:38AM

I guess it all comes down to Scrivens signing on the dotted line. It'll be Mac T vs. Mrs. Scrivens. Wonder who wins that battle!!

#13 Czar
January 30 2014, 12:59AM
Larry wrote:

Hey Grant. Do you prefer coke or Pepsi?

Pepsi with his rye, coke with his hookers.

#14 Jacques Strap
January 30 2014, 07:38AM
Oil Vice wrote:

Plus MacT actually found a trade for Horcoff...that was thought to be impossible.

I may have miscounted but I believe the player we got back in the Horcoff trade was on the ice for about 950 SJ scoring chances tonight.

Let's not get too carried away. MacT saved a compliance buy out on that one. That is all. Larsen should probably be on the second or third pair in OKC.

#15 Sandra
January 30 2014, 12:48AM

Once Freddy Chabbot gets a hold of him he'll be like Dubnyk.

#16 Larry
January 30 2014, 12:25AM
Grant fuhr wrote:

I wish I could remember that game in 84' it was a blizzard that night.

Hey Grant. Do you prefer coke or Pepsi?

#17 Grant fuhr
January 30 2014, 01:38AM

@Czar

Coke with my rye , coke with my hookers

#18 Show me da Money
January 30 2014, 06:46AM
Sandra wrote:

Once Freddy Chabbot gets a hold of him he'll be like Dubnyk.

Sadly I gotta agree. Time will tell.

#19 Will
January 30 2014, 12:07AM

Ah, typical Oilers. INsane record breaking individual performances, terrible overall team effort (I'm looking at you Gagner 8 points vs Chicago then 11 in two games or whatever).

This has got to be the worst team to cheer for. UNimaginable flashes of unrepeatable brilliance, followed by the never ending horror hat it was just kind of a one time thing and cannot be repeated or even imitated on a night to night basis. God I lovehate this team so much.

#20 Randy Carlyle
January 30 2014, 01:22AM

HEY! You stole our strategy!!!!! D: We will get you back..don't worry MUHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAH **cough cough*****

Sincerely Randy Carlyle

#21 Tikkanese
January 30 2014, 11:17AM
pkam wrote:

Where is your 63 saves coming from?

59 saves is the new record for regulation shutout.

Maybe read the post I was replying to, to find your answer. He said 59 saves was 4 short of the record for saves in a game. No one even mentioned a shutout. I'll have whatever you're smoking.

#22 Cynic
January 30 2014, 01:34PM
oilerjed wrote:

I wish I could trash comments like this infinetly. Turn off your computer, go outside and go say mean things to people face to face. That way you can get immediate feedback.

Pot. Meet Kettle. If there's anyone who needs to go outside it's Oiler fan in general and you in particular. Yah, you, in theh front row. Have you ever kissed girl? Stop fapping to your Ben Scrivens wall poster and discover the world outside the Oilers.

#23 Grant fuhr
January 30 2014, 12:09AM

I wish I could remember that game in 84' it was a blizzard that night.

#24 Al Low
January 30 2014, 09:07AM

Like most fans, I hope Scrivens is signed. But, watching his interviews from when he first arrived and even after the game last night, I do question if he'll stay. I hate saying it but he doesn't seem all that happy to be with the Oilers.

#25 Zarny
January 30 2014, 10:38AM

Ben Scrivens...just awesome last night.

If Dubnyk letting in beach balls over the first 20 games was all bad coaching by Eakins (LMAO) I guess last night was a Jack Adams' performance.

#26 @kahmad92
January 29 2014, 11:08PM

I honestly love this article if we can even call it that!

#27 Czar
January 29 2014, 11:20PM
@kahmad92 wrote:

I honestly love this article if we can even call it that!

It's hard to write when you're still standing and clapping.

#28 pelhem grenville
January 30 2014, 04:38AM

~...it all makes sense with backups Hall and Eberle in net...without them he could never have achieved this feat...~

#29 Oil Vice
January 30 2014, 07:25AM
Retsinnab5 wrote:

Perron for Paajarvi?

Getting rid of Dubynk?

#30 Bicepus Maximus - Huge fan boy!
January 30 2014, 07:31AM

Freddie Chabot played 32 NHL games in 17 years as a pro, bouncing between the AHL, IHL, NHL, and finally Europe prior to retirement.

As a goalie coach, he has worked with Hockey Canada, but then again, so has "6 rings".

We shall see.

In the mean time; Benny Scriv is a god among us mere mortals.

#31 NJ
January 29 2014, 11:26PM

A record for the ages! Ben Scrivens. A formerly dead fan base salutes you. Your 59 save shutout spells hope for the hopeless, strength to the weary, and healing to the brokenhearted.

Group hug.

#32 **
January 29 2014, 11:27PM

Best Article in the history of Oilers hockey. On a side note, wikipedia just updated the most shots in a shutout by a goaltender and put Scrivens in there, so it's confirmed: NHL record. He has actually biult up his game since he got here, go look at his stats and he's improved on every single game. Scrivens just single handedly jump-started the heart of Oilers nation.

#33 Czar
January 29 2014, 11:53PM
Drowning in Oil wrote:

Dude! We're trying to have a good time here. Enjoy it for what it was, a record breaking night!!

#34 Retsinnab5
January 30 2014, 12:05AM
David wrote:

Fire lowe

Can we not just enjoy the moment?

59 SAVE SHUTOUT!!!

#35 I tried it at home
January 30 2014, 12:46AM

Lol, Jonathan, are you drunk? Great article, sir!

#36 Sisyphus
January 30 2014, 05:58AM

Now the real question is....is Scrivens playing like the world's best goalie right now because he wants a new shiny contract next season SOMEWHERE ELSE? Or would he be willing to stay here?

He keeps putting up those performances, he'll have other offers. And I can't imagine he'd decide to stay in a city where he's going to have to face that many shots a night because the team in front of him can't even spell defense, let alone play it

#37 outdoorzguy
January 30 2014, 08:01AM

Is last nights performance enough to get him a second straight start? Or will the powers that be drag ups more stupid statistics saying its not good to give a shut out goalie a start within 3 days after flying to Boston!! This guy should start every remaining game. Let him feel wanted here in Edmonton despite the lunacy of the team management. He has to be thrown a bone!!

#38 Al Low
January 30 2014, 09:07AM

#39 toprightcorner
January 29 2014, 11:08PM

Nope, Ben did all the talking tonight!!

#40 Retsinnab5
January 29 2014, 11:47PM

Who needs Defence when you have The Professor in net!

IS THIS REAL LIFE???

#41 27Ginge
January 30 2014, 03:11AM

The most disgusting single human effort I've ever seen this team have since messier ala '84.

#42 mlselli
January 30 2014, 06:59AM
Rdubb wrote:

Reading your bullshart was a waste of time. If you don't like the article, don't read it. On a night that Edmonton celebrates the sensational skill of our goaltender, that results in a record breaking event, you decided to criticize. Scrivens deservers the accolades, and Jonathon honoured him.

#43 RexHolez
January 30 2014, 07:09AM
Rdubb wrote:

You're on a blogging site looking for legit articles?

#44 kgo
January 30 2014, 07:20AM
RexHolez wrote:

You're on a blogging site looking for legit articles?

He's probably one of the shuntty dinosaur EJ writers

#45 Sevenseven
January 30 2014, 10:07AM

Jennifer Hiel get your name down from Ben Scrivens road immediately!! Your gold medal performance might as well be a participant ribbon compared to his best in the universe showing.

#46 pkam
January 30 2014, 12:08PM
Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things wrote:

The NHL record for saves in a regulation game is 80 (out of 83 shots), set by Sam LoPresti in 1941.

How is your reply related to my answer to Tikkanese?

#47 Comrade GT
January 29 2014, 11:26PM

lol, great read

#48 K_Mart
January 29 2014, 11:34PM

And Eakins just wanted a 1-0 win. Pffff. We can't lose if we never get scored on.

#49 Johe
January 29 2014, 11:45PM

Forget moral victories. This was an immoral victory. More please.

#50 Larry
January 30 2014, 01:46AM
Grant fuhr wrote:

Coke with my rye , coke with my hookers

What do Grant Fuhr, Mikka Kiprusoff and Kirk McLean have in common?