EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT BRAD HUNT BUT WERE AFRAID TO ASK

Lowetide
January 03 2014 04:15PM

The Edmonton Oilers recalled Brad Hunt today, and word is he'll play in Anaheim against the Ducks tonight. His NHL debut comes at a sorry time for the organization, but I'm sure he won't care. Brad Hunt is going to be a bona fide NHL player in just a few short hours—it's been a long time coming.

WHO IS BRAD HUNT?

Brad Hunt wears #29 for the Oklahoma City Barons.He's an undersized pro defenseman (5.09, 174 according to the AHL site, 5.09, 188 according to the Hockey News) with good puck moving skills. His AHL boxcars this year (27, 3-12-15 +1) imply a successful offensive defenseman and Jonathan Willis suggested as much in the summer.

• WillisWhat Hunt obviously brings to the organization is offence from the blue line. Two years ago, his coach at Bemidji State said he had an NHL caliber slap shot. In 2013, the hockey world received hard evidence of that as Hunt had the second-hardest shot (99.5 miles per hour) at the AHL All-Star game. His best chance at NHL employment might be as a power play specialist – 15 of his 33 points last seasoncame with the man advantage despite the fact that he didn’t get a lot of games right out of the NHL lockout.

That article linked to also details his previous experience with Craig MacTavish, which no doubt led to Hunt's signing with the Oilers (MacT coached him while both were with the Chicago Wolves organization).

BRAD HUNT ACTUAL FACTUAL

• He's from Ridge Meadows, BC, which is really Maple Ridge-Pitt Meadows area of the lower mainland.
  • He played college at Bemidji State, which is in Minnesota. Current NHLer Matt Read is from there, and former NHL player Joel Otto also came from Bemidji.
  • He turned pro at the end of the 2011-12 season with the Chicago Wolves.
  • In 2012-13, he scored well (65, 4-29-33) and the Oilers came calling.
  • Hunt is enjoying a strong AHL season in OKC and is clearly a player the Oilers want to look at between now and summer.
  • The most similar player-type in terms of skill set on the Oilers is probably Phil Larsen, although it is unlikely we'll see the same speed from Hunt.

THE BEMIDJI BEAVERS SONG

Go Bemidji Beavers,
Go you Green and White.
Go Bemidji Beavers,
Fight with all your might.

We are here to cheer you.
We're out to bring you fame.
So go Bemidji Beavers,
Fight and win this game.

B-E-M-I-D-J-I Bemidji, Bemidji, Go BEAVERS!!

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

It's a great day for Brad Hunt. His NHL debut will probably be a blur, but that line in TOTAL HOCKEY and HOCKEY-REFERENCE page will be there for history. No matter what happens after that, Brad Hunt is an NHL player.

(Barons photos by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved).

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#1 outdoorzguy
January 03 2014, 09:41PM

Hunt should wipe the smile off of his face. He's losing by 2. Nothing to smile at!!

#2 Josh Oiler
January 03 2014, 06:56PM

@Josh Oiler

Since Shea Weber may be available here it is boys and girls:

Sam Gagner + Ales HEMSKEY + Oskar Klefbom + 2014 first round pick for Shea Weber

#3 Josh Oiler
January 03 2014, 09:06PM

Thank you again.

I'll leave everybody with one more thought:

If the Edmonton Oilers want to make a splash. I truly believe that they need to make a blockbuster trade not involving the big 5 or 6. Sell the farm. Just not the horses If you catch my drift.

Wish List:

Wayne Simmonds Dustin Byuflin Mark Giordano David Clarkson

#4 MessyEH!
January 03 2014, 06:12PM

My last name is Hunt.

First name Isaac.

Isaac Hunt

#5 Josh Oiler
January 03 2014, 07:35PM
rob f wrote:

stop the insanity.....shea weber isnt going anywhere especially here......please please please stop

id rather here more mike hunt jokes.....they come across as more mature and well thought out

In case you haven't heard on TSN (Darren Dreger & Pierre LeBrun & Aaron Ward) all of whom have more hockey knowledge than you do.. All are saying Nashville needs scoring and forwards and may be willing to part with Shea Weber for the right price. They drafted Seth Jones to eventually replace Weber. Brad Hunt is having a short cup of coffee in the bigs and then going back. That's it.

We get Shea Weber to play on our top D pairing and gobble up big minutes. We're SAVED I TELL YOU... SAVED!!!!

#6 Josh Oiler
January 03 2014, 07:39PM

Does anyone here have any trade scenarios to land is a big stud defenseman or high end goalie without trading away Hall,Nuge,Ebz,Yak,Jshultz,Perron

#7 steelymac
January 03 2014, 05:37PM

Where did DSF go?I ask because my hat is off to the guy.Did he get the boot for calling a spade a spade.I do believe it was his quote"All hat no cattle".Brad Hunt is making his debut playing for a joke of a coach who puts the blame on a young Russian rather than putting any blame on himself or his staff.Nice time out Eakins,way to rally the troops,the boys gave up on you long before you gave up on the team.Chop wood carry water and your bags to YEG your time is up.The OIl had one shot in 15:00 and its the players fault you could not get them to adapt?You blew it brother and there is no way in hell the ship will right itself.Calling an Oilerfan a quitter was lip service because your team quit on you when the sharade was up about your ACCOUNTABILTY.You were brought in to develop our youth but you choose to bury them in the press and give icetime to Smyth,whos best days are behind him.When the season started our untouchable assets were going to take us to the promised land and in 42 games our assets have little value.This one is on MacT to make the proper decision and get that arrogant,self centred son of a bitch out of here.

#8 Arius Mumin
January 03 2014, 05:56PM

I wish his name was Mike instead of Brad.

#9 Josh Oiler
January 03 2014, 06:51PM

1. WHY DIDNT THE OILER BRASS GO AFTER LINDY RUFF WHEN HE WAS AVAILABLE??

2. WHY DIDNT THEY GO AFTER VIGNEAULT OR TORTORELLA??

3. BRENT SUTTER WAS ALSO AVAILABLE??

All of these smart accomplished coaches and we have to pick we MacT thinks is a diamond in the rough? The only diamond was Lindy Ruff! Kudos for benching Taylor Hall at the WC!

Eakins plays Nail YAKUPOV on the 4th Line?? I MEAN A HIGH FIREPOWER OFFENSIVE THREAT ON OUR 4th line WITH LUKE GADZIC AND LANDER??? Come on man.

#10 Josh Oiler
January 03 2014, 07:50PM
RexHolez wrote:

i'll give Jschultz away just to sign M-ABergeron.

Your kidding right.. C'mon let's get serious here!!!

#11 Josh Oiler
January 03 2014, 08:52PM
Jordan NUGENT Hall-Yak wrote:

@ Josh Oiler

Josh, you are one of the smartest Hockey minds on the planet! And you are the greatest Underground Hockey Insider of our generation.

Thank you for making your presence available to us and sharing your super hockey knowledge and incite with us!

You very welcome. Thank you for your praise.

#12 RexHolez
January 03 2014, 05:08PM
Lowetide wrote:

Dammit! I had "first comment" in the pool! WHERE were you! :-)

what is the appropriate saying again.... Fist??

#13 The Real Scuba Steve
January 03 2014, 09:22PM

Could be worst, his parents could have name him Mike Hunt

#14 Cynic
January 03 2014, 10:35PM

Josh, I miss the days when John Short and Bryan Hall had terrible call-in shows, and you'd call in, wait on hold for 35 minutes, and then tell us how the Oilers should trade Marc Habscheid for Ray Bourque b/c it looked like Bourque was injury prone and the Bruins were sour on him. And if it was Short's show you were calling, how John would pretend you weren't a mental defective and calmly explain how that trade would never happen even if there were a million parallel universes. See, here's the deal: nobody's busting down the door to take the detritus of a perennial doormat. Well, except the Flames, maybe. That's why there are winning franchises and there are losing franchises. Shea Weber will be the No. 1 Dman on Team Canada at the Olympics. Gagner, Hemsky and Klefbom will be watching the Olympics on TV. Well, maybe Hemsky actually suits up, but that's b/c Czechoslovakia has 3 indoor rinks and hasn't developed a decent hockey player since Vaclav Havel was president.

#15 -30-
January 03 2014, 04:39PM

Is Brad Hunt playing tonight so that another D man can sit in the press box to learn their lesson?

I'd much rather see Brad's brother Mike play!

-30-

#16 Oliveoiler
January 03 2014, 04:53PM

I'm angry, depressed and sick and tired of this. I love my team, but cannot for the life of me raise ANY enthusiasm for this gong show of a team. I believe MacT is trying his hardest to sign D men, he's not sitting up in his glass penthouse (unlike POHO) and reminiscing about 6 rings. What I am mostly sick and tired of hearing from coaches AND players is "we know what we have to do to win" Well IF they KNOW, why the hell aren't they doing it? I have 4 tix for the upcoming Preds game and 4 for the Kings in March game. Have tried almost giving them away, no-one wants them, and I certainly can't/wont sit through another 60 minutes of agony, and have to pay for the privilege. I'm looking forward to NEXT season and hope the merry-go-round stops and this losing is over.

#17 Harlie
January 03 2014, 05:05PM

What a hunt!

#18 RexHolez
January 03 2014, 06:59PM
Josh Oiler wrote:

1. WHY DIDNT THE OILER BRASS GO AFTER LINDY RUFF WHEN HE WAS AVAILABLE??

2. WHY DIDNT THEY GO AFTER VIGNEAULT OR TORTORELLA??

3. BRENT SUTTER WAS ALSO AVAILABLE??

Put Ken Hitchcock on that list aswell

Why did they trade smid for bryzgalov when you could of had Bishop or Bernier?

#19 BIGDAWG
January 03 2014, 04:32PM

with Fedun, hunt and Marcini in the fold and the damn season over before it started.... I would be releasing Belov and sitting Petry..Wether we lose with them or without them, the points are the same.. none...

im asking a legit Q here.. I know we can keep the revolving coach door going.. but.. seeing as ac T isn't making any moves.. how long does Eakins have? Trade deadline next season??

Toughts??

#20 Rama Lama
January 03 2014, 04:55PM

The real question I have is is he fit? Can he run a marathon?

As far as I'm concerned, he could be Jesus on skates, ......... I'm certain he will not know how to play or understand Eakins uber intellectual defensive hockey systems.

Well at least he is the right size for our team.

#22 Arius Mumin
January 03 2014, 06:00PM
steelymac wrote:

That will be "Mike" standing on the Oilers bench.

No, the bench Mike's last name is Hawk. That is why I keep getting the urge to beat him.

#23 Ed in PV
January 03 2014, 06:28PM
Oliveoiler wrote:

Knowing what it takes to win and actually having the physical ability to do it are different things.

The Oilers do not have enough NHL caliber player talent and that is why they are where they are.

#24 buckiethewondermule
January 03 2014, 07:24PM

@buckiethewondermule

help again

#25 Quicksilver ballet
January 03 2014, 09:24PM
steelymac wrote:

Oilers have pressured some of the extended media types (including Oilersnation now it appears) to stem the flow of truth/reality. The Oilers have exercised their influence here and had the real DSF banned from these boards. No ship.

Please don't ban me too LT.

If this post is removed and I don't post anything after today, I guess this ban includes me now as well.

Big brother is always watching now it appears. They're ruling the media now as well.

#26 Smytty
January 04 2014, 01:26AM
RexHolez wrote:

holy horse manure!! the protical child returns!! and we all thought you got a girl friend!! lol

Is DSF right or left-handed?

#27 RexHolez
January 03 2014, 04:22PM

I really liked hunt in preseason! I suspect him to be soon appointed a large contract and guaranteed minutes on the power play! Can he pass around the perimeter on the PP

#28 Rob F
January 03 2014, 04:50PM

Oh Great! Thats all we need, is another Beaver in this line up

#29 ValleyviewSports
January 03 2014, 04:53PM

to be honest, from what I have seen this guy is way more of a player than Fedun. Hate to say it because of Fedun's story but I think everyone is gonna be quite surprised at how he how plays tonight.

#30 spider
January 03 2014, 05:03PM

not pertaining to the conversation but what happened to Marc-O Roy.

#32 sizedoesmatter
January 03 2014, 05:19PM

Did you mean to type Imply or is that a Freudian slip

#33 steelymac
January 03 2014, 05:57PM
-30- wrote:

I'd much rather see Brad's brother Mike play!

-30-

That will be "Mike" standing on the Oilers bench.

#34 steelymac
January 03 2014, 06:02PM
Arius Mumin wrote:

A Captain Morgan clap for that.Well Done.

#36 buckiethewondermule
January 03 2014, 06:47PM

help

#37 rob f
January 03 2014, 07:17PM
rob f wrote:

oops hear not here.....see what youve done

I wonder if Brad

will be going on the big

Elk Hunt this season?

#39 Jordan NUGENT Hall-Yak
January 03 2014, 08:51PM

@ Josh Oiler

#40 RexHolez
January 03 2014, 09:19PM

who does that million dollars to a shopper if any player scores 5 goals in a game?? can we change that to any player who scores 5 goals in a week, and themillion bucks goes to the player? that might give them some incentive

#41 Soccer Steve
January 03 2014, 09:34PM

@Quicksilver ballet

"Banned". Very funny. You'd have to be a special kind of dumb to get banned from anything on the internet, let alone ON.

Oh, there's the ducks fourth. Is this season over yet?

#42 RexHolez
January 03 2014, 09:50PM

Hey look, you can cross check a guy in the face and dislocate his jaw in an outdoor game and it'll only cost you whatever you have in your pocket!!

#43 TeddyTurnbuckle
January 03 2014, 09:57PM

Marincin looks pretty good again, even though he was on for that last goal. That was Gagner and Yaks fault for the lazy effort along the boards.

#44 outdoorzguy
January 03 2014, 10:25PM
RexHolez wrote:

He's playing in his first NHL game, he has plenty to smile about!! Not his fault this team is pathetic

If I was Hunt I'd ask for a trade as soon as the game is over!

#45 Loweblows
January 03 2014, 10:34PM

Ekblad!

#46 RexHolez
January 03 2014, 10:54PM
outdoorzguy wrote:

If I was Hunt I'd ask for a trade as soon as the game is over!

if I was Hunt i'd sell myself to the oilers as the next Justin Schultz!

#47 madjam
January 03 2014, 06:35PM

Another token AHL'er thrown into the mix . I liked him preseason , but come on management enough of this B.S.. Management gave up on this club long before disgruntled fan threw sweater on the ice . These desperation moves are prevalent far to often to help disguise the inferior job the organization is doing icing a decent team here . Same old , same old .

#48 Andrew
January 03 2014, 07:13PM

As I look back over the Oiler timeline from 1979 forward I reckon we are just about 'half-past Eakins'. Now if Wrecksall Sports could just wake from their long winters nap we might get to 'half-past' he of the six rings and MacT. 2014 is looking up already!

#49 rob f
January 03 2014, 07:17PM
Josh Oiler wrote:

Since Shea Weber may be available here it is boys and girls:

#50 Bryzarro World
January 03 2014, 07:28PM
Josh Oiler wrote:

1. WHY DIDNT THE OILER BRASS GO AFTER LINDY RUFF WHEN HE WAS AVAILABLE??

2. WHY DIDNT THEY GO AFTER VIGNEAULT OR TORTORELLA??

3. BRENT SUTTER WAS ALSO AVAILABLE??

They were passed over because they are smarter than everyone in the org and KBlowe knows it. He doesn't want to hire someone who knows more than he does to make him look like the idiot he is daily..