Oilers acquire Mark Fraser from Toronto

Jonathan Willis
January 31 2014 09:06AM

TSN's Darren Dreger reports that the Oilers have added some size to their blue line, adding Mark Fraser from Toronto.

What The Oilers Sent Away

The players going the other way in the deal were both outside of the organization's plans, so the cost on this isn't especially dear.

Teemu Hartikainen is having a pretty good season in Russia and has to be the guy the Leafs were interested in on this deal. He's a big winger with some skill who couldn't do much in 23 NHL games last season with the Oilers; he wasn't interested in staying in the organization on a two-way deal and so he went off to Russia. I've been told down the line that this isn't a player that Edmonton really had plans for, but that doesn't mean he might not break out with the Leafs. 

Cameron Abney, the other guy in the trade, has negative value; he's an ECHL enforcer taking up a spot on Edmonton's 50-man list. In the Oilers' organization he was passed as a player by Erick Lizon (currently with the CHL's Wichita Thunder). 

What the Oilers Added

Everybody hoping Edmonton would add a big, physical defenceman for the third pair got their wish today.

Fraser is listed at 6'4", 220 pounds. He has had three fights in the NHL this season; last year he had nine fights in the majors and eight in the AHL. He's a stay-at-home defenceman who plays a throwback style; the new Theo Peckham on Edmonton's blue line. 

As for what he is as a player? Theo Peckham isn't far-off as a comparison there, either. Fraser has struggled badly this year, with regular partners Paul Ranger and Morgan Rielly both faring better without him than with him. Of interest, though, is the way he and Cody Franson played together last season, and the way his regular partners in New Jersey (primarily Andy Greene and Johnny Oduya) played with and without him. He has had a measure of success in the NHL before, even if he isn't enjoying that this season.

For the time being the pending unrestricted free agent can provide the Oilers with physical play in the six/seven slot and provide the Oilers with a warm body if they choose to move other free agents like Anton Belov or Nick Schultz or Corey Potterat the deadline. He has familiarity with Dallas Eakins from time spent with the Marlies, so he should slot in to the Oilers system with relative ease, and his skillset is a nice fit alongside any of Potter, Philip Larsen or Taylor Fedun on that bottom pair.

This is a small trade, but it adds a dimension the Oilers were lacking at the cost of players the team didn't really care about anyway. The player with the most potential to be an NHL difference-maker went to Toronto, but Hartikainen wasn't going to be that guy in Edmonton and the trade market for 'tweeners who want one-way deals isn't as robust as it could be. 

Update - via @Steve_Dangle of Leafs Nation comes this Hockey Night in Canada segment on Fraser:

Additionally, Jeff Veillette - who covered Fraser in person when Fraser played for the AHL's Toronto Marlies - wrote a piece on the trade for Leafs Nation.

Recently by Jonathan Willis

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
Jonathan Willis is a freelance writer. He currently works for Oilers Nation, Sportsnet, the Edmonton Journal and Bleacher Report. He's co-written three books and worked for myriad websites, including Grantland, ESPN, The Score, and Hockey Prospectus. He was previously the founder and managing editor of Copper & Blue.
Avatar
#201 Wonger
January 31 2014, 03:18PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers
gcw_rocks wrote:

Hendricks, Gazdic, and Fraser are all hard to play against?

Three of those guys are replacement level players, two of which can barely play hockey and one who can't. The are hard to play against how? The dirty looks they give all the players who skate around them?

Ference is fast approaching the time where d-men of his type fall off a cliff, but he is under contract for 3 more years with a NMC.

I agree with Bucknuck.... keep going MACT!!!!!! FRASER is TOUGH and can go with ANYONE......!!!!!Beautiful!!!!!!Love you MACT...not like that.... as a GM!!!!!Keep bringing in these TOUGH SOBS and LEADERS!!!!!!!Wooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar
#202 DisappointedFan
January 31 2014, 03:19PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Joe Mamma wrote:

What in the hell are you even talking about? OOOOkay, well this was fun. Let's never do it again, shall we.

Because you're fairly uncertain of common phrases used in every day conversation or because you don't know how the voting system on this site works?

Avatar
#203 toprightcorner
January 31 2014, 03:20PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@Joe Mamma

my bad Joe Mamma, I missed 1 comment out of 200, and I agree $2 mill was too much for Fistric if that is what he was asking for.

I wasn't aware that me missing one comment was so much worse than making up stats, to support your case when the actual stats disproves your point.

I guess I will try to be more like you and make stuff up to prove my point.

Avatar
#204 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
January 31 2014, 03:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
northof51 wrote:

I thought you were better than that. Guess I was wrong.

Reading your measured response to my comment has made me reconsider my response. You're right...I should be better than that....clearly you are.....I think I misinterpreted your comment...my apologies.

Avatar
#205 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
January 31 2014, 03:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
me wrote:

No way...was I that obvious?...whats really funny is that guys take their posting and "discussions" on here serious and even the most obvious troll still elicits a response cause they think this is a place that should be taken seriously.

Are you serious?

Avatar
#206 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
January 31 2014, 03:26PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
me wrote:

Good one....you probably use mom jokes too....lol...you probably thought the mirror reply was a little better than "I know u are but what am i?"

I am rubber and you are glue.

Avatar
#207 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
January 31 2014, 03:36PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
me wrote:

Yes...I think

Does it hurt?

Avatar
#208 Will
January 31 2014, 03:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

Hmmm, team is slowly getting big and tough. Anyone think Steve Downie could play top six minutes on the wing? Maybe then trade one of the wonder kids for a top 2 D man?

Avatar
#209 DisappointedFan
January 31 2014, 03:39PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Joe Mamma

You also neglected clear information and evidence that made your "clear and concise" points incorrect. So I'm not sure how exactly you can get that as a take away from the discussion but sure, you're absolutely correct, can't fix stupid.

Sorry I didn't know my "ill-fated" attempts were perceived as being gibberish, I can send an English tutor your way so you can better understand and comprehend the language for future conversations.

Says the certified comedian by trade?

Avatar
#210 Serious Gord
January 31 2014, 03:44PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Zarny wrote:

Give it up.

Not buying out Hemsky didn't impede MacT from making any trades.

The Oilers had the cap room to make a trade with a team like Phi at the beginning of the season if Phi was actually going to pull the trigger.

They had ample cap space to go sign Bryzgalov.

There was no strategic aspect to buying out Hemsky.

Some - rishaug et al say that smid was traded to make room for Bryz.

As mentioned above the bonuses issue clouds what the real free cap room the oil has is.

Avatar
#211 Johnnydapunk
January 31 2014, 03:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
14
cheers

I'm not gonna start any fires with anyone here, but I think it's not a bad trade. What he brings is some size, he is a defensive defenceman, and a bit of grit which does help the Oil a lot. What he also has is 2 other things which aren't as easy to always get. He has a fire in his belly to prove something, he sees this as a chance to get his career on track with the Oil (that's a key) and he is loyal to Eakins so if he turns out alright, I don't think he will be that pricey to resign.

Whilst this isn't a three way deal to get Subban and Weber for a 4th round pick, Will Acton and Grebs, it's still a not bad trade. It addresses a tiny bit of what the Oil need so I am fine with that.

I'm sure some will disagree, but MacT is not doing half bad with what he has got. He is trying to make deals and it seems like it takes a noticeable event for MacT to pull the trigger, when Gagner got his face broken, he signed Big Mac and when he got hurt, he found Gazdic, when Dubnyk pooped the bed too many times, he signed the Bryz, when Barbs did the same, he got rid of him, and when Bryz wasn't the answer, he went for Scrivens.

MacT is trying, and it seems like he is putting in an effort in, 8 out of 20 trades have involved the Oil,this season, that's an effort. Fair play for trying.

Avatar
#212 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
January 31 2014, 03:46PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
me wrote:

Awww man!!!...I feel like I was set up...

Don't feel too bad....trolling the troll is kind of a hobby of mine...I get a kick out of it...kinda like you do....but in a less serious feel good kinda way.

Avatar
#213 2004Z06
January 31 2014, 03:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty) wrote:

Doing a quick add, it looks like you are correct Zarny. The numbers are tight.

In the last year of Campbell's contract, assuming we sign Yak to something like a two year bridge deal at $5 million a year, with our current roster minus Hemmer we will be spending approx $42 million on the forwards, $16 million on Defense, and $3 million on Goaltending. Total approx $61 million against a projected $70 mill cap.

Of course, this does not include paying for a #1 Goalie or a 1-2 Dman like Campbell

So is we add in $7 mil for Campbell and an additional $5 mil for Goaltending then subtract Gags $5 mil.....it all looks doable...we'd be in around $68 mil

But like I said, mine is a very simplistic 2 dimensional view of things.

Don't forget to remove the salary of the player(s) that will have to go to Florida to get Campbell. The cap will be 71 mil next year and at least 76 mil the following. There is lots of room.

Avatar
#214 wergy
January 31 2014, 03:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
me wrote:

Who really cares what you think? Who are you? Nobody.

That seems a little mean. Why would he say that? I don't get that at all.

Avatar
#215 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
January 31 2014, 03:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
me wrote:

Who really cares what you think? Who are you? Nobody.

Hey, is that you me? And by me I mean me, not me. Me cares what me thinks. Me is me. Me is not a nobody?........or is he?....uh I mean me....

Avatar
#216 Wow
January 31 2014, 04:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
me wrote:

NO...you are you to me.

Uh-oh ... I'm gonna need a chart...

Avatar
#217 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
January 31 2014, 04:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
2004Z06 wrote:

Don't forget to remove the salary of the player(s) that will have to go to Florida to get Campbell. The cap will be 71 mil next year and at least 76 mil the following. There is lots of room.

I hope you're right because if you are then things look pretty good on the financial part of the equation.

Avatar
#218 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
January 31 2014, 04:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Wow wrote:

Uh-oh ... I'm gonna need a chart...

Ok ...that's allowed...as long as it's not CORSI or Fenwick.

Avatar
#219 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
January 31 2014, 04:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
me wrote:

NO...you are you to me.

Don't bring you into this.......you is on second!

Avatar
#220 Bucknuck
January 31 2014, 04:04PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
14
cheers

Quit being mean and nasty to each other. We are all fans on the loser bus together, but that doesn't mean we all have to act like losers. Agree or disagree with the trade, and discuss the GM who made the trade, and discuss the similar players we sent packing. But drop the nasty please.

The worst part about the Oilers losing has been the way the fans are turning into a pack of rabid dogs and ripping everything Oiler, even the good stuff, and then ripping on every fan who dares to say something good about the team.

Avatar
#221 Zarny
January 31 2014, 04:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty) wrote:

Doing a quick add, it looks like you are correct Zarny. The numbers are tight.

In the last year of Campbell's contract, assuming we sign Yak to something like a two year bridge deal at $5 million a year, with our current roster minus Hemmer we will be spending approx $42 million on the forwards, $16 million on Defense, and $3 million on Goaltending. Total approx $61 million against a projected $70 mill cap.

Of course, this does not include paying for a #1 Goalie or a 1-2 Dman like Campbell

So is we add in $7 mil for Campbell and an additional $5 mil for Goaltending then subtract Gags $5 mil.....it all looks doable...we'd be in around $68 mil

But like I said, mine is a very simplistic 2 dimensional view of things.

Yeah I have only taken a cursory glance at the numbers for 2015-16 and of course we don't know what the cap will actually be.

I think it's fair to say the current roster minus Hemmer + Campbell and a #1 G isn't enough.

With Campbell's weaknesses I still see a need for a 2D that plays physical and cheats towards defense. And I see subtracting Gagner's $4.8M as a shell game since he'll have to be replaced.

Perhaps younger, economical players get those jobs done but if they don't and the Oilers are tight to the cap MacT's hands are tied.

As a player Campbell is better than we have and a good option, but I want nothing to do with that contract. Too much risk.

Avatar
#222 Wow
January 31 2014, 04:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
me wrote:

I admitted I was a troll..but why does it actually bother you?...I do really think if u take ur posting serious u really are a loser...im getting paid while getting entertained by your reactions so it's even funnier to me...does this place give you the sense of belonging to part of a team u have nothing to do with?

Kinda.

Avatar
#223 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
January 31 2014, 04:17PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Bucknuck wrote:

Quit being mean and nasty to each other. We are all fans on the loser bus together, but that doesn't mean we all have to act like losers. Agree or disagree with the trade, and discuss the GM who made the trade, and discuss the similar players we sent packing. But drop the nasty please.

The worst part about the Oilers losing has been the way the fans are turning into a pack of rabid dogs and ripping everything Oiler, even the good stuff, and then ripping on every fan who dares to say something good about the team.

Obscure Reference Alert

You know Bucknuck, as strange as this sounds...what you're pointing to is a big part of the dynamic that occurred in Nazi Germany...where good people were scared or worried about speaking out and some good people were drawn into the rabid dog fever of the mob mentality. Obviously not an appropriate analogy for what happened here, as such a comparison is silly, but in a small way the parallels do actually exist.

Edit: and I didn't get your name wrong...it was an autocorrect....Apple thinks you should be Bucknut

Avatar
#224 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
January 31 2014, 04:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
me wrote:

I admitted I was a troll..but why does it actually bother you?...I do really think if u take ur posting serious u really are a loser...im getting paid while getting entertained by your reactions so it's even funnier to me...does this place give you the sense of belonging to part of a team u have nothing to do with?

Just curious me....what are you a part of?......and by me I mean me not me....uh..you know what I mean...

Avatar
#225 Alsker
January 31 2014, 04:23PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty) wrote:

Don't bring you into this.......you is on second!

Actually, "what's" on second.

Avatar
#226 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
January 31 2014, 04:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Zarny

Is the risk that bothers you the risk of the overspend bringing us up against the cap and thereby limiting our future options? Or, the risk of the player himself?

Avatar
#227 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
January 31 2014, 04:28PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Alsker wrote:

Actually, "what's" on second.

Shhh....me doesn't know that....keep it under your hat....wink wink nudge nudge.

Avatar
#228 Ari Gold
January 31 2014, 04:34PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

Is this Fraser guy any good? I have a feeling he's just a bigger, dumber version of Corey Potter with no offensive upside.

Avatar
#229 Walter Sobchak
January 31 2014, 04:40PM
Trash it!
18
trashes
Cheers
10
cheers

So correct me if I'm wrong here.

MacT lets Fistric walk, then re-aquires a worse version of him in exchange for the rights to Hartikainen + for 25 or so games?

This is considered ok?

Avatar
#230 Oilerz4life
January 31 2014, 04:42PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Joe Mamma wrote:

Pretty clear this guy is a pure troll with nothing to add except grief. Think we could get a ban here? JW?

Agreed.

Avatar
#231 pkam
January 31 2014, 04:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
Ari Gold wrote:

Is this Fraser guy any good? I have a feeling he's just a bigger, dumber version of Corey Potter with no offensive upside.

He does 2 things at least. He hits anything that is moving, like Fistric. And he drops the gloves better than Smid. And he only costs 1.2M. And he costs us nothing to acquire.

Avatar
#232 Oilerz4life
January 31 2014, 04:52PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

It amazes me the amount of hockey insight many people that post on this site have. Trade speculation etc. But this is a whole new level of childishness. Hockey banter is one thing, but I think we are better served by just ignoring this "ME" guy. Just stop responding to him. Is there any way to just block his IP address or....? JW?

Avatar
#233 Bucknuck
January 31 2014, 04:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
4
cheers
Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty) wrote:

Obscure Reference Alert

You know Bucknuck, as strange as this sounds...what you're pointing to is a big part of the dynamic that occurred in Nazi Germany...where good people were scared or worried about speaking out and some good people were drawn into the rabid dog fever of the mob mentality. Obviously not an appropriate analogy for what happened here, as such a comparison is silly, but in a small way the parallels do actually exist.

Edit: and I didn't get your name wrong...it was an autocorrect....Apple thinks you should be Bucknut

One could make a case that Apple is right! :-)

Avatar
#234 Walter Sobchak
January 31 2014, 04:52PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
pkam wrote:

He does 2 things at least. He hits anything that is moving, like Fistric. And he drops the gloves better than Smid. And he only costs 1.2M. And he costs us nothing to acquire.

How can you say he cost nothing to acquire?

A-why trade Smid?

B-why let Fistric go?

C-Why are you giving the rights to Hartikianen away for free?

This trade again makes little sense, and you gave a functioning, useful prospect away for free!

Avatar
#235 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
January 31 2014, 04:53PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers
Walter Sobchak wrote:

So correct me if I'm wrong here.

MacT lets Fistric walk, then re-aquires a worse version of him in exchange for the rights to Hartikainen + for 25 or so games?

This is considered ok?

Hey Wes, how you doing?

Consensus in most circles is that it's better than ok.

The argument goes something like this:

Fistric demanded an overpay $2 mill per to stay in Edmonton.

Fistric while physical was hesitant to drop the gloves.

Harti and Abney were never going to be part of the equation here.

We moved one unwanted contract. (Abney) and the "rights" to a guy who got cut from team Finland.

We get a physical stay at home 6-7 Dman who is ready willing and able to mix it up in more ways than one.

We get him for less money than we were paying Fistric.

Eakins knows what he's getting.

I'm probably leaving something out but that's the gist of it.

Oh yeah....he's 6'4" 220

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, as they say.

Avatar
#236 toprightcorner
January 31 2014, 04:53PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Joe Mamma wrote:

This is a super mature discussion. What are you, 12?

What did I make up? Show me where I made anything up. Quote it. What disproved my point that Fistric isn't worth 2 mil? YOU JUST AGREED WITH MY POINT! Good lord, is it Idiot Day on the nation?

Feel free to go climb back under the bridge, Troll.

I know I should just ignore you but I cant let you remain under the delusion that you didn't try to use stats to make your point when the actual stats contradict your argument.

you wrote "What were Fistric's stats last year (Points, +/-, Corsi, Fenwick, etc.)? He was an inneffective 6-7 defensemen or worse"

implying Fitric ranked terrible in these areas and thats why I corrected you in comment 198

Fistric ranked 2nd in +/- last year, lead defense in Corsi and in hits per game. He also led the team in blocked shots per minute played so Fenwick is irrelevant. In fact his stats show he was an effective bottom pairing defenseman.

You tried to use these stats to prove Fistric was ineffective where he played, when they actually show the opposite.

This, my friend, is called MAKING THINGS UP, as you call it. If you want to use stats to make your point at least respect the readers by looking them up first.

So, I admitted my oversight with Fistrics salary demands as soon as you pointed them out and even corrected that post as to not mislead others.

You then called me out when I said you made up stats to prove your point and wanted me to quote you, which I did above.

The question is are you going to be a man and admit it or are you going to run upstairs and cry to Joe Mamma.

What will you do?

Avatar
#237 michael
January 31 2014, 04:54PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

Anyone catch Darren Dregers tweet about tweet about The Rangers Ryan Callahan's agent being allowed to talk to another team regarding his client?

MacT in on that?

Avatar
#238 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
January 31 2014, 04:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Bucknuck wrote:

One could make a case that Apple is right! :-)

Lol !

Avatar
#239 Walter Sobchak
January 31 2014, 04:59PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty) wrote:

Hey Wes, how you doing?

Consensus in most circles is that it's better than ok.

The argument goes something like this:

Fistric demanded an overpay $2 mill per to stay in Edmonton.

Fistric while physical was hesitant to drop the gloves.

Harti and Abney were never going to be part of the equation here.

We moved one unwanted contract. (Abney) and the "rights" to a guy who got cut from team Finland.

We get a physical stay at home 6-7 Dman who is ready willing and able to mix it up in more ways than one.

We get him for less money than we were paying Fistric.

Eakins knows what he's getting.

I'm probably leaving something out but that's the gist of it.

Oh yeah....he's 6'4" 220

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, as they say.

I'm good!

Just confused as to why people think it's ok to give away a prospect like Hartikianen for a knuckle dragger for 25 games worth of nothing!

Cause for one thing, if Fraser is getting time over a player like Klefbom then, ya I got a problem with that.

Trading an asset for a rental player is strange, even worse when you consider the Oilers owned his rights.

Who cares about Fistric, I don't, but letting Smid go for nothing then acquiring a worse defensemen in the spot Smid could have played is beyond weird.

This trade does nothing moving forward, so why make it?

Avatar
#240 DisappointedFan
January 31 2014, 04:59PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Walter Sobchak

Same reason why they thought a Holely Goalie could be our starter, logic goes right out the window.

Avatar
#241 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
January 31 2014, 05:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
Walter Sobchak wrote:

How can you say he cost nothing to acquire?

A-why trade Smid?

B-why let Fistric go?

C-Why are you giving the rights to Hartikianen away for free?

This trade again makes little sense, and you gave a functioning, useful prospect away for free!

A) 3.5 Million Dollars

B). Demanded an overpay at $2 million per

C) it wasn't quite free, but for the sake of argument, free was market value.

I'm not being snide, I do get where you're coming from. I don't think it's a clear cut decision on either side of the argument, which usually indicates that it was in the neighbourhood of a fair deal.

Avatar
#242 Naky
January 31 2014, 05:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

Abney being included was an awfully nice gesture from the Oilers towards him. They knew they weren't going to renew him so they allowed him to get a fresh start in a new organization that didn't mind taking a flyer on him for the remainder of his ELC. This deal is essentially TH for Fraser. A player who didn't want to play for the Oilers for a player that has something to prove and has already proven it under a coach. In terms of asset management, this is a pretty good trade. It's not BOLD, but we got a potential useful part for two parts that weren't ever going to be useful.

Avatar
#243 DisappointedFan
January 31 2014, 05:04PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers

@Walter Sobchak

See my major problem with this trade is that it is taking the spot of guys who could "try-out" for next year. (Fedun/Klefbom/Gernat)Unless MacT is doing this because he doesn't want to see them and would rather they take the Barons to a "successful" playoff run.

Avatar
#244 DisappointedFan
January 31 2014, 05:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@DisappointedFan

Or at least try and get into the playoffs.

Avatar
#245 Johnnydapunk
January 31 2014, 05:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
me wrote:

Who really cares what you think? Who are you? Nobody.

Is this the part where I'm supposed to be all upset by a child using his mommys computer?

Meh, if you think that, I'm not phased, if you need to say things like that to make yourself feel important or better, fair enough. Things like that make it pretty clear that you weren't loved enough and can only feel a sense of power hiding behind a keyboard trying to insult other people.

Whatever floats your boat smallboy :-)

Avatar
#246 Walter Sobchak
January 31 2014, 05:08PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers

@Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)

Not to point something obvious out as well, but Hartiakinen is 22 years old having a terrific season in the KHL playing a tone of minutes.

Should we completely give up on all 22 year old prospects by the logic "he was never going to part of the equation here" or is it not incumbent on this organization to see development through?

Cause I can give you a list as long as your arm about the "doesn't fit the equation" here of players the Oilers washed away with that same logic.

Not trying to be a prick here, but is this not a huge issue with this org?

Avatar
#247 Walter Sobchak
January 31 2014, 05:11PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
5
cheers
Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty) wrote:

A) 3.5 Million Dollars

B). Demanded an overpay at $2 million per

C) it wasn't quite free, but for the sake of argument, free was market value.

I'm not being snide, I do get where you're coming from. I don't think it's a clear cut decision on either side of the argument, which usually indicates that it was in the neighbourhood of a fair deal.

Completely agree on Fistric, so that's my bad! Fistric is a bad example, I'll concede that.

Smid would be more relevant, to be brutally honest with I'm not a Hartiakinen fan ether.

However, I can still see value in him, just like I saw value in Brodziak, might not have been part of the concept then, but look at him go! It's all good man, this is what this place is for, good debate, great opinions, we all want the same thing, Oilers to get better.

Avatar
#248 Walter Sobchak
January 31 2014, 05:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
DisappointedFan wrote:

See my major problem with this trade is that it is taking the spot of guys who could "try-out" for next year. (Fedun/Klefbom/Gernat)Unless MacT is doing this because he doesn't want to see them and would rather they take the Barons to a "successful" playoff run.

Valid!

I would far rather Klefbom get some time up playing with the big club, get him use to the systems Eakins wants now so it's not so foreign when training camp opens next season.

By the time the Oilers season ends Klefbom will be ready for the Barons run, similar to what they did with Paajarvi & Lander.

Avatar
#249 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
January 31 2014, 05:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Walter Sobchak wrote:

Not to point something obvious out as well, but Hartiakinen is 22 years old having a terrific season in the KHL playing a tone of minutes.

Should we completely give up on all 22 year old prospects by the logic "he was never going to part of the equation here" or is it not incumbent on this organization to see development through?

Cause I can give you a list as long as your arm about the "doesn't fit the equation" here of players the Oilers washed away with that same logic.

Not trying to be a prick here, but is this not a huge issue with this org?

All fair questions Wes. And I get that you're pointing out a pattern here. I'm just saying that so far the reaction while mixed seems to be considerably more positive than negative. I get your point that that doesn't make it right.

I liked Fistric, but I didn't know he demanded two million. Not sure what the market was for Smid but maybe his contract was viewed as prohibitive by some teams? Maybe Broissoit and Horak was market value? I mean really, what else makes sense? Dumping Abneys contract was clearly a plus. So for me that leaves Hartikainen.....and you're point about being 22 is a reasonable question...my guess is 1) they think they gave him a fair shot and he didn't make the cut, combined with he wouldn't accept a two way deal, combined with I'm sure they shopped him and like Linus Omark, their were few, in fact maybe only one taker. Do you have an alternative explanation that makes sense?

Edit: Agreed Wes. It is all good....it is why we're here.

Avatar
#250 Spydyr
January 31 2014, 05:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

If Fraser kicks the crap out of the next player to run the goalie.It is a good trade in my book.

No one stands up for the goalie here since Smid was dealt.

Comments are closed for this article.