Oilers acquire Mark Fraser from Toronto

Jonathan Willis
January 31 2014 09:06AM

TSN's Darren Dreger reports that the Oilers have added some size to their blue line, adding Mark Fraser from Toronto.

What The Oilers Sent Away

The players going the other way in the deal were both outside of the organization's plans, so the cost on this isn't especially dear.

Teemu Hartikainen is having a pretty good season in Russia and has to be the guy the Leafs were interested in on this deal. He's a big winger with some skill who couldn't do much in 23 NHL games last season with the Oilers; he wasn't interested in staying in the organization on a two-way deal and so he went off to Russia. I've been told down the line that this isn't a player that Edmonton really had plans for, but that doesn't mean he might not break out with the Leafs. 

Cameron Abney, the other guy in the trade, has negative value; he's an ECHL enforcer taking up a spot on Edmonton's 50-man list. In the Oilers' organization he was passed as a player by Erick Lizon (currently with the CHL's Wichita Thunder). 

What the Oilers Added

Everybody hoping Edmonton would add a big, physical defenceman for the third pair got their wish today.

Fraser is listed at 6'4", 220 pounds. He has had three fights in the NHL this season; last year he had nine fights in the majors and eight in the AHL. He's a stay-at-home defenceman who plays a throwback style; the new Theo Peckham on Edmonton's blue line. 

As for what he is as a player? Theo Peckham isn't far-off as a comparison there, either. Fraser has struggled badly this year, with regular partners Paul Ranger and Morgan Rielly both faring better without him than with him. Of interest, though, is the way he and Cody Franson played together last season, and the way his regular partners in New Jersey (primarily Andy Greene and Johnny Oduya) played with and without him. He has had a measure of success in the NHL before, even if he isn't enjoying that this season.

For the time being the pending unrestricted free agent can provide the Oilers with physical play in the six/seven slot and provide the Oilers with a warm body if they choose to move other free agents like Anton Belov or Nick Schultz or Corey Potterat the deadline. He has familiarity with Dallas Eakins from time spent with the Marlies, so he should slot in to the Oilers system with relative ease, and his skillset is a nice fit alongside any of Potter, Philip Larsen or Taylor Fedun on that bottom pair.

This is a small trade, but it adds a dimension the Oilers were lacking at the cost of players the team didn't really care about anyway. The player with the most potential to be an NHL difference-maker went to Toronto, but Hartikainen wasn't going to be that guy in Edmonton and the trade market for 'tweeners who want one-way deals isn't as robust as it could be. 

Update - via @Steve_Dangle of Leafs Nation comes this Hockey Night in Canada segment on Fraser:

Additionally, Jeff Veillette - who covered Fraser in person when Fraser played for the AHL's Toronto Marlies - wrote a piece on the trade for Leafs Nation.

Recently by Jonathan Willis

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
Jonathan Willis is a freelance writer. He currently works for Oilers Nation, Sportsnet, the Edmonton Journal and Bleacher Report. He's co-written three books and worked for myriad websites, including Grantland, ESPN, The Score, and Hockey Prospectus. He was previously the founder and managing editor of Copper & Blue.
Avatar
#101 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
January 31 2014, 04:53PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers
Walter Sobchak wrote:

So correct me if I'm wrong here.

MacT lets Fistric walk, then re-aquires a worse version of him in exchange for the rights to Hartikainen + for 25 or so games?

This is considered ok?

Hey Wes, how you doing?

Consensus in most circles is that it's better than ok.

The argument goes something like this:

Fistric demanded an overpay $2 mill per to stay in Edmonton.

Fistric while physical was hesitant to drop the gloves.

Harti and Abney were never going to be part of the equation here.

We moved one unwanted contract. (Abney) and the "rights" to a guy who got cut from team Finland.

We get a physical stay at home 6-7 Dman who is ready willing and able to mix it up in more ways than one.

We get him for less money than we were paying Fistric.

Eakins knows what he's getting.

I'm probably leaving something out but that's the gist of it.

Oh yeah....he's 6'4" 220

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, as they say.

Avatar
#102 camdog
January 31 2014, 05:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
9
cheers

Nice to get some nasty on the d. It's been embarassing watching this team get pushed around for much of the season. I still don't understand why Mact got rid of the toughness to start the season, looks like he has admitted he was wrong.

You can't bring up kids and expect them to physically compete against men over an 82 game NHL schedule, without having some muscle to help and protect the kids.

Avatar
#103 Serious Gord
January 31 2014, 09:47AM
Trash it!
53
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

We now go from FOKs being the overarching and only narrative to adding a new acronym FOE.

Being a friend of Eakins seems to be handy on ones CV.

Why don't they just fire the scouting staff. They seem to have little usefulness if connections/friendship with management trumps merit.

Avatar
#104 DisappointedFan
January 31 2014, 11:13AM
Trash it!
13
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
Zarny wrote:

Actually if you're Fedun, you're thinking "great maybe Fraser will be able to knock ginormous centers like Getzlaf and Thornton off the puck...because I certainly can't do it."

Fedun wants to play in the NHL not cheer on guys who are taking his place and making his money. If you think anything otherwise you're lying to yourself.

Avatar
#105 Zarny
January 31 2014, 11:21AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
DisappointedFan wrote:

We can't argue on the play of someone who wasn't here...but I think we have all agreed they had no physicality and got out muscled in many games that they may have stood a chance in. If he were there over an empty jersey in Potter (who deflects every shot in his own goal) or Belov (who lets guys easily skate in for a breakaway on his goalie) Nick Schultz (I don't know if he actually provides anything besides being somewhat in position and blocking shots) I think we would see a slightly higher standing.

24th looks a lot nicer than 29th or 30th...shows progression...not regression.

Of course you can argue on the play of someone that wasn't here. He's playing in Anh. His play warranted a lot less $$$ than he was asking for in Edm.

Overpaying for Fistric would have been beyond stupid. It would have been the next level of stupid compared to such beauts as Buf handing Ville Leino a pile of cash or Tor signing a 29 y/o undrafted player and career plugger like Clarkson to 7 years.

I certainly agree the Oilers need more size, strength and physical play. And quite frankly they need a few more guys that are flat out a**holes on the ice.

24th though does not look a lot nicer than 29th imo. Bottom of the league is bottom of the league.

Avatar
#106 Hemmercules
January 31 2014, 11:31AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

As I have written before, there is only one buyout remaining under this cba. As the most critical cap crunch was this year, exercising the buyout this last summer would have been far more beneficial than using it this coming summer. That freed up salary and roster spot could have been used to pick up a long-term solution from a cap-strapped team (Philadelphia perhaps). Hemsky was on MacT's disposal list. Because he couldn't trade/deal him away he should have done the next best thing and bought him out.

The only reason you buy out Hemmer in that situation is if you have a player as good or better coming in. They didn't have that obviously. Sure they could have just bought him out and hoped they could find another equal player somewhere between the start of the season and the trade deadline but I guess that wasnt a gamble they wanted to take.

Now they can maybe get something for him at the deadline rather than pay him millions to walk away.

Avatar
#107 Rama Lama
January 31 2014, 11:52AM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

Great news, I was expecting a Brian Campbell trade.......yea like we need another small, non-physical defenceman.

This may not be bold, but it is courageous.

Go Mac T!

Avatar
#108 YEGFan
January 31 2014, 12:29PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

@Taylor Gang

Top two defensemen are worth 6M plus. There's no getting around it. Once one is established he will get paid.

The ONLY reason anyone would ever consider moving someone like Campbell is because he is a little over paid (not horrendously by any stretch).

My opinion is that an actual top 2 defenseman would have a monumental difference on this team's success. A slight over pay for two years is completely worth it.

With the cap going up top pairing defensemen will be earning 9M on the open market in a couple years. They are simply that valuable and difficult to acquire.

Avatar
#109 Zarny
January 31 2014, 02:18PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
DisappointedFan wrote:

Sorry, but when someone references Corsi or Fenwick, you lose credibility in your argument entirely. Those are poor representatives of a players performance, and hardly tell how a guy is playing especially defensemen (who on Edmonton never look good in Corsi). But since we're on the topic, he had a +6 rating in Edmonton and +8 rating in Anaheim. Since we're looking at "helping the team" he had 6 assists and was +6 for the Oilers while Nick Schultz was -13 and had 1g 8a. So if you want to go by your "effectiveness" rating scale, Mark Fistric looks a lot better than Nick Schultz does.

Sorry but your feelings towards his "selfish play" can be said about most players, let's look at all the times Justin Schultz pinches or moves up to the slot for a shot putting himself far out of position blows it and the other team goes down and scores or gets a break away, he does it every game. Or Jeff Petrys soft play on the puck EVERY game where he gives it away in our own zone, or because he doesn't stand in position or cover guys in front of his net. Or we could talk about Potter deflecting every shot into our own net. Or we could talk about how a rookie prospect is the best looking defender on the team who wasn't even supposed to play on the Oilers this year.

Reducing your argument to petty attempts at telling me to "put down the crack pipe" or "man crush" prove just how little strengthen your argument is.

No, actually someone doesn't lose credibility in their argument entirely by referencing Corsi or Fenwick.

Some of the top minds in hockey use analytics. The fact they confuse you doesn't make them irrelevant.

Reducing your argument to "anyone who mentions something is irrelevant" actually make you completely irrelevant.

Avatar
#110 Wonger
January 31 2014, 03:14PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

Oiler fans are going to love FRASER.....Fraser, Hendricks..... Thank You MACT....thank you...thank you.....thank you!!!!!!!EXACTLY WHAT THIS TEAM NEEDS!!!!!Thank You!!!!! Keep going....Simmonds????, etc...

Avatar
#111 Spydyr
January 31 2014, 05:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

If Fraser kicks the crap out of the next player to run the goalie.It is a good trade in my book.

No one stands up for the goalie here since Smid was dealt.

Avatar
#112 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
January 31 2014, 05:36PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
Spydyr wrote:

If Fraser kicks the crap out of the next player to run the goalie.It is a good trade in my book.

No one stands up for the goalie here since Smid was dealt.

Hey Spydyr,

Agreed. I agree that Smid was a physical presence and did stick up for his teammates....but I wish he was a lot meaner....and I really can't remember any good Smid fights. Don't get me wrong..it is .not obvious why you move a semi physical Dman when your D is so soft......but the reason I don't really miss him, besides the 3.5 mil, is that he wasn't mean and he didn't drop them often enough.

I'm reading that Fraser is 6'4" 220 and is a pri@k ! And he's more than willing to mix it up in more ways than one. If true....we win that trade.

Avatar
#113 Spydyr
January 31 2014, 05:43PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty) wrote:

Hey Spydyr,

Agreed. I agree that Smid was a physical presence and did stick up for his teammates....but I wish he was a lot meaner....and I really can't remember any good Smid fights. Don't get me wrong..it is .not obvious why you move a semi physical Dman when your D is so soft......but the reason I don't really miss him, besides the 3.5 mil, is that he wasn't mean and he didn't drop them often enough.

I'm reading that Fraser is 6'4" 220 and is a pri@k ! And he's more than willing to mix it up in more ways than one. If true....we win that trade.

They also freed up another roster spot and by the looks of things J.J. took Harti's job anyhow.

J.J. looks better to me .

Avatar
#114 spliff
January 31 2014, 07:49PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers

This season has been the most disappointing of all Oiler seasons. However, I can see MacT starting to reshape the team, one piece at a time, and I have a good feeling about it.

Biggest piece will be the first paring D-man, which hopefully he can secure this summer.Also need a gritty big second line Center, and a legit second pairing D-man.

If he can get that done before next season, I'm sure the Oil will be in the mix for a playoff spot in March. Then, he can continue to tweek the team and address weaknesses in 2015-16.

I know we are in 29th place, but I feel some hope, and not just because of a 3 game winning streak. MacT made some bad moves before the year started, but he seems to be getting a hang of it, and is starting to change the make-up of this team, and adding the nasty gritty size that we need.

Avatar
#115 Rick Stroppel
January 31 2014, 08:53PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
Josh Oiler wrote:

I HATE TO TELL EVERYONE THAT I TOLD YOU SO???

BUT:

I TOLD YOU SO!!!!

Craig "The Brain" MACTAVISH did it again. A freakin genius move!!! Once again!!!

MacT is active and is bringing in the freaking BIGTIME MASHERS in the NHL!!!!

I pity any who this this or the Hendricks deal is a bad deal!!

OMG WHAT HAVE I DONE!

Please forgive me! I woke up the real "Josh Oiler"!

Avatar
#116 The Last Big Bear
January 31 2014, 08:57PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
8
cheers
Hemmercules wrote:

I don't understand the MacT hate. The guy took on a last place team of smurfs 6 months ago from a passive GM. He added Ference, Gordon, Perron, Scrivens, Brysgalov, Belov, Hendricks and now Fraser. Tried to get Bernier, Schneider, Clarkson and probably others in trade attempts we never heard about. He shipped out some underachievers in Duby, Paajarvi and Smid.

The guy is active, more so than most GM's out there as far as I can see. Not all moves will be great, not all will work out, but the guy is trying.

I seems to me a lot of people think its as easy as calling up GM's and demanding they trade their great players to us for our junk. Not gonna happen.

I want playoffs next year as much as anyone but it likely wont happen that fast. Tambloweini's team will take time to correct and I think MacT has the potential to do it.

Correction: He took on a *23rd place* team of smurfs 6 months ago, and they have become the worst in the league since then.

Avatar
#117 oilslick
January 31 2014, 09:54AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

@Jonathan Willis

Here,Here!!!!

Avatar
#118 JimW
January 31 2014, 09:55AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

Apparently the Oilers like to make moves in pairs, so who is next? Nultz, Larsen, Potter, Jones, Gagner, or Hemsky?

Avatar
#119 Sal-Sational
January 31 2014, 10:05AM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

Im ok with the deal.Our Back End is Kind of looking Big and strong and tough to play against. J.Schultz (6'2) - N.Schultz (6'1) / A.Ference (5'11); Petry (6'3) - Marinčin (6'4); now Belov (6'4) - Fraser (6'4)

Avatar
#120 Zamboni Driver
January 31 2014, 10:28AM
Trash it!
66
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

The trashes here are more hilarious than anything.

Blind faithers think that this is meaningful.

Trading nothing and less than nothing for another big slow cement head who can't play a lick....

The bridge to nowhere is going just great MacT.

Have your joy that your heroic braintrust is out there working hard to "Improve" things.

Avatar
#121 gcw_rocks
January 31 2014, 11:02AM
Trash it!
41
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

What a joke. Yes, this is exactly what the team needs - more bottom pairing defencemen. Because Belov, Grebs, Larsen, Schultz Sr., Schultz Jr., Fedun and Klefbom aren't enough.

If I am Fedun, I am thinking "WTF?" I doubt we see Fedun in Edmonton for any material amount of time after this trade, if at all.

Avatar
#122 Oasis
January 31 2014, 11:15AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
NJ wrote:

The signing won't hurt us and freed up a contract.

Re: Fistric love. Quit kidding yourselves. MF is a number 8 d man. If I recall he's played 26 games this year while leading the Ducks In hits. Big tough yes. But only resigned because the cap is going UP. We don't need him here. Why? Because they're everywere.

Case and point? Fraser.

While not being bold, this is a reasonable move.

Add a little toughness which is always good. He can be resigned or walk away after the season is over. At 1.25m he is cheaper than Fistric and if Harty was never in our plans then we didn't really give up anything.

But at some point we need some big meaningful trades rather than the constant shuffling of the deck chairs by picking up 4th line forwards and 7/8 D-men. I expect the major changes to take place in the summer.

Avatar
#123 Oiler63
January 31 2014, 11:39AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
Fresh Mess wrote:

He is worth a shot. If he works he will bring something sorely lacking. If he doesn't work out, they gave up nothing to get him and his contract expires this summer.

Good move by Mactavish. Second solid trade in a row.

I agree it's a good move. We got rid of two unwanted contracts through the trade and got someone who could potentially fill an organizational need. It's a risk worth taking.

Avatar
#124 wellsy
January 31 2014, 11:42AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
YEGFan wrote:

No, he won't. "Protection" is a myth. No tough guy on any other team is scared of other tough guys. They all skate around "doing their jobs" by not being afraid of anyone else. They do not get intimidated by each other and they are all more than happy to lay a big hit on a star if they think they can get away with it and avoid a huge suspension and loss of income. Fortunately, they don't go out on the ice with the stars frequently because they get lit up so badly that the possible benefit of hitting a star is out weighed by number of goals it costs the team.

Putting assets and energy into acquiring tough or gritty players who aren't skilled is what is hurting this team most. The team is at the bottom of the league, get it through your head, no amount of tinkering with the 4th line or the bottom defense pairing is going to have any meaningful effect on this team's position in the standings.

And the loss of which "asset" in this trade has you upset? Hartikainen in the KHL, or "who the hell is Cam Abney", because I don't think either of those players are going to come back and haunt the Oilers with their brilliant future.

Avatar
#125 Hemmercules
January 31 2014, 12:09PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
Serious Gord wrote:

None other than bill belechik has said that the most important thing in a cap league to have is plenty of cap room during the season. Having it enables one to fill holes due to injury or other unforeseen things but also to have the space to pick up players from other teams under cap space pressure - like Philly was early this season.

Having lots of cap space would have given the oil much more options. Buying out hemsky didn't require another move to be done - it should have been done in order to be ready to take advantage of future opportunities.

Part of the reason why all of MacT's in-season deals have been such small ball is because he lacks the cap room roster space to make a big ones.

I see your point. Cap space is always good. I think we might just be on the outside looking in on this one. Maybe Katz didnt want to toss 5 mil in the toilet?? Maybe they decided they might as well keep him seeing how big player moves hardly (if ever) happen before Christmas anyway and they were hoping his value would rise for the deadline so they could get a return on him. If a trade arises and cap room is needed, good GM's find ways to get the deal done and stay within the cap. I think buyout are for horrible contracts or terrible play, neither of which fit Hemsky.

I think Mact's trades have been "small ball" because blockbuster trades don't happen in the first half of the season very often.

Avatar
#126 wellsy
January 31 2014, 12:15PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
YEGFan wrote:

Hartikainen. Cam Abney is exactly the sort of draft pick I'm complaining about.

I know the Finn was looking pretty unexciting last year, but his performance in the KHL sounds like he has been taking major steps forward. It is still entirely possible (I am saying possible, not likely) he turns into a winger that can move up and down the line up. That is not "nothing." He could have actually been a useful player for the Oilers to have.

Mark Fraser looks like he will actually make the Oilers worse under the guise of making them tougher.

Ultimately I agree, this trade is probably inconsequential. I decided to fight this fight because so many people keep talking about toughness as if it's a valuable commodity in and of itself, when it is not.

The toughness philosophy has been the organization's MO for years. They keep getting tough players with glimmers of competence who just never pan out and cost the team goals. Everybody quickly forgets, notices that the team lacks competent tough players, and screams that they need to go out and get them. Rather than getting a player who is having success and driving possession they go out and get another tough guy who isn't. The tough guy doesn't get better and instead gets super exposed because he can't make up for the overwhelming inexperience elsewhere in the line up (mostly defense right now), and it all repeats itself.

We clearly have philosophical differences in what the team needs. I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect it...I guess we'll see...

Avatar
#127 Egg on Air blood
January 31 2014, 12:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

Apparently there are FOKs (friends of Katz) but there are also FOEs (friends of Eakins)...

Jokes aside, I agree with this trade, even if we lose Fraser for nothing at the end of the season. Our players look like a bunch of little girls when the Oil are playing teams like the St-Louis Blues. Fraser brings a little bit of toughness and it may rub off on the other players for the rest of the season. Besides, it cost the Oil practically nothing.

Avatar
#128 Serious Gord
January 31 2014, 01:03PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
james_dean wrote:

Serious gord is an idiot.

boot this douche from this great site

Thanks for reading!!!

Avatar
#129 shaddup
January 31 2014, 02:01PM
Trash it!
11
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
A-Mc wrote:

If it is unknown how it would have affected the team by buying out Hemsky, then by that same logic you can't possibly conclude that it was a bad move to NOT buy him out; so please drop it.

You've said your piece. We've all read it in many of your posts prior to the ones in this article. There is no reason to continually repeat yourself.

Speak for yourself, I like reading Serious Gord's comments. I may not agree with him, but I like that he has an opinion and can express why he has those opinions.

If you don't care to read his comments, kindly skip over it and allow those of us who do to read it and comment accordingly.

Who the hell are you to speak for the rest of us?

Avatar
#130 northof51
January 31 2014, 03:02PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

Whoa... I was reading through the comments and had to make sure I wasn't over at TSN. I'm going to get torched for saying this, but at the moment I'm embarrassed to be a card-carrying member of Oilers Nation.

Avatar
#131 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
January 31 2014, 03:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
northof51 wrote:

Whoa... I was reading through the comments and had to make sure I wasn't over at TSN. I'm going to get torched for saying this, but at the moment I'm embarrassed to be a card-carrying member of Oilers Nation.

Easy fix....pull up your panties and turn in your card.

Avatar
#132 Oilerz4life
January 31 2014, 04:52PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers

It amazes me the amount of hockey insight many people that post on this site have. Trade speculation etc. But this is a whole new level of childishness. Hockey banter is one thing, but I think we are better served by just ignoring this "ME" guy. Just stop responding to him. Is there any way to just block his IP address or....? JW?

Avatar
#133 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
January 31 2014, 05:49PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
Spydyr wrote:

They also freed up another roster spot and by the looks of things J.J. took Harti's job anyhow.

J.J. looks better to me .

If he can stay healthy JJ looks better to me too.

Avatar
#134 toprightcorner
January 31 2014, 06:24PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
Spydyr wrote:

They also freed up another roster spot and by the looks of things J.J. took Harti's job anyhow.

J.J. looks better to me .

Unfortunately "looks better" and "good" are two different things. To me, JJ is a clinger who can use his size but offerers little else and is a 7 minute 4th liner until someone is brought in to do that job better.

To take a big step forward, existing bottom 6 players need to be pushed down a notch and replaced with better players for those positions. Imagine if Jones, Gordon and Hendricks were our 4th line and our 3rd line was made up of players better than them? That would be a huge improvement.

Instead, we continue to bring in guys who are put in positions greater than they have played before. JJ was an good AHLer/4th liner and was brought in for the 3rd line. On good teams, Ferenence is 5/6 dman but playing top pairing minutes, Hendricks is a 4th liner but playing 3rd line, Jones is a 4th liner playing on the 3rd line, Petry is a 3/4 guy playing the #1 role, Acton is a career AHLer brought in for 4th line.

Most of our players would be playing at a step or 2 lower on a good team.

The Oilers have done that since the last cup run and that is why they have not improved. Here is a list of players that were put in a position 1 step higher than they were capable of or would have played on a good team: Pisani, Neilsen, Cogliano, Horcoff, Belanger, Eager, N Schultz, Petrell, Whitney, Reddox, Brule, Jacques, Penner, O'Sullivan, Putolny, Comerie, Pouliot, Cole, Kotalik and Foster.

That is why the Oilers have not improved. MacT needs to push many existing players down a notch and replace them with ones that are better in that position to improve the team.

Avatar
#135 KSC10032
January 31 2014, 07:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
Bucknuck wrote:

There was once this player that really hadn't done much at the NHL level. He was a big bodied tough as nails defenceman that was past his prospect due date (26 yrs old). He played for Toronto, and his skating was suspect and no one was expecting much.

Jason Smith was his name.

Now I am not saying this guy is Jason Smith, I'm just saying that a tough as nails all heart defenceman is something this team needs, and you never know what can happen when a player gets a new start.

A decent analogy, although only time will tell just how much upside young Fraser will eventually display.

The same circumstances -- almost exactly -- also apply to the acquisition of one Craig Muni, who was also a Leafs castoff.

Avatar
#136 Rick Stroppel
January 31 2014, 08:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
Wonger wrote:

Oiler fans are going to love FRASER.....Fraser, Hendricks..... Thank You MACT....thank you...thank you.....thank you!!!!!!!EXACTLY WHAT THIS TEAM NEEDS!!!!!Thank You!!!!! Keep going....Simmonds????, etc...

VERY ENTHUSIASTIC....AND SOMEWHAT SUSPICIOUS

I have reason to believe that "Josh Oiler" is posting again under a different name.

Avatar
#137 james_dean
January 31 2014, 11:04PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
@Oilanderp wrote:

All I can say is, everyone here needs to get a fkn job. 6 pages of comments on a tweener addition?

Crazy fools, get jobs!

Insanity! Let it go! Goose Fra Baaaaa!

Work is overrated.

Avatar
#138 Stack Pad Save
January 31 2014, 10:37AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
YEGFan wrote:

Is anybody surprised that the league's worst defense isn't all that small?

Yah, but they all play like they are 5'2 most of the time. Belov occassionaly throws a hit, but never in front of his own net where it matters the most. Marincin is a bean pole still, the Schultz's are the defense sisters and Petry plays physical only when he knows no one on the other team will push back. The Oilers need a guy in the top 2 who is going to play physical.

Avatar
#139 DisappointedFan
January 31 2014, 10:46AM
Trash it!
26
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Czar wrote:

If you're still having issues with this trade or are trying to rekindle a love affair with Fistric read JW"s comments #13 and #14 a couple more times!!

Okay, as nice as it all sounds. Having Fistric from game one would have been miles better than having Mark Fraser at game 57. Regardless of cap hit, the Oilers took a huge standings hit by not having someone who can finish checks and play hockey. Grebeshkov, didn't work. Corey Potter, didn't work. Anton Belov, didn't work. Andrew Ference, is doing what he was brought to do but doesn't punish players with his checks.

He can tell me his cap hit was too high all you want on paper, but when he played he brought physicality that the Oilers did not have for the last 56 games.

Maybe he's paid a bit high...what else is new for the Oilers...they over pay players to carry the pucks to the ice for morning skate that do nothing else.

Avatar
#140 Joe Mamma
January 31 2014, 11:43AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
gcw_rocks wrote:

What a joke. Yes, this is exactly what the team needs - more bottom pairing defencemen. Because Belov, Grebs, Larsen, Schultz Sr., Schultz Jr., Fedun and Klefbom aren't enough.

If I am Fedun, I am thinking "WTF?" I doubt we see Fedun in Edmonton for any material amount of time after this trade, if at all.

Look again at the names you just listed, spend a little time thinking about the attributes each of those players brings, and you will have your case for why this is EXACTLY the kind of player we need in that spot in the rotation.

Frankly, who gives a crap about Fedun? I like the kid, but he's more of the same of what we already have. Which, in case you haven't noticed, isn't working so well.

Avatar
#141 VK63
January 31 2014, 12:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Eddie Shore wrote:

"Hartikainen is a pest with limitless energy and a willingness to hit everything in sight, with some ability to contribute offensively" from Leafsnation.

That is not the Hartikainen I watched...

But but….. finnish juggernaut and all that …….

I agree. "A willingness to hit everything in sight"….. bwahahahaha.

Avatar
#142 Oliveoiler
January 31 2014, 12:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

While this isn't the "bold" move yet to be seen, it's certainly a step in the right direction. Give the guy a chance, don't run him out of town before he lands here. Bring Fedun up, and play them together, their opposite style of play would surely compliment each other. As for Belov and Larsen - I'd certainly like to see them go, and as much as I like Potter's massive shots, he probably has to go as well. This team is like a jigsaw puzzle, several pieces missing, which makes it frustrating, but man oh man, after Ben's amazing night, I dare to hope and dream. Save the negative comments IF he doesn't pan out - he surely has to be an improvement on what we have now.

Avatar
#143 Ed in Edmonton
January 31 2014, 12:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Lochenzo wrote:

@ Serious Gord

I don't know why you are so hard up for using the last compliance buyout on Hemsky. If you want to believe Mark Spector, Hemsky is worth at least a 3rd round pick. I think that Hemmer is worth more than that. I would only use the compliance buyout on guys that you couldn't even give away.

That is why players are bought out, i.e. they have zero value as a trade (other than a unique situation like Souray).

There is, however, an interesting point wrt to Hemsky. He might fetch more at the trading dealine that he would have last summer as his boat anchor contract is now almost done.

Nonetheles,s I don't see any good argument as to how not buying out Hemsky has hurt the Oil this year.

Avatar
#144 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
January 31 2014, 01:26PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
DAVE wrote:

It would'nt have been basically nothing, if MacT hadn't let Hartikainan get away and signed him to one way deal instead of Joenseu.

B@stard almost let Omark get away for nothing to!

Avatar
#145 ubermiguel
January 31 2014, 01:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

Grebs had a connection with MacT, but MacT's not drawing up the Xs and Os any more. If Eakins says this guy is an improvement on our current 6/7 guys that's enough for me.

Avatar
#146 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
January 31 2014, 01:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Taylor Gang wrote:

But he's expensive! Horrendously expensive. With the amount of holes the Oilers have in their lineup, I wouldn't feel comfortable if Mac-T invested that much money into an aging defenseman such as Campbell.

I'd take Campbell on an expensive two year deal.....problem is he's going to be looking for a 4 to 6 year deal and that is where he may not be a good fit.

Campbell is not the big tough 1-2 Dman that most of us are dreaming about, but if it's a two or three year deal then we cannot let our pursuit of perfection get in the way of a seriously good upgrade.

Edit: Joe Mamma

Right you are. Thank you. He is under contract for two more years after this year at $7.15 million per season.

So then the questions for me are, does he have a no trade or limited no trade contract, and what would we have to give up to get him?

Avatar
#147 Zarny
January 31 2014, 02:07PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
DisappointedFan wrote:

So now he's playing on the Ducks, is 2nd on their team in hits and has played 28 games..you're telling me that wouldn't be something you'd pay for. He has 128 hits at 2nd on his team 40 hits above the next best player, and he'd be 1 hit behind Jeff Petry (team leader)...you'd be stupid not to pay somehow who goes and crushes people all day. We have more than enough non-offensive, non-defensive defensemen, they could have used one who could at least lay the body.

Mark Fraser has 66 hits in 19 games, hardly comparable. They overpaid Gagner, Horcoff, Hemsky, and on and on...overpaying a player who actually does his job is a huge plus. You get Matt Hendricks who is being paid because he's an energy player on the Oilers. I like it. He does his job and it's working for them.

Going from 29th to 24th = progression. Going from 24th to 29th = regression.

Moving up (progression) is a positive thing, so they are in the basement, they're atleast walking to the door. Moving down (regression) is a negative and shows that they like hiding in the dark and getting kicked around by their abusive older brothers (the rest of the league).

Yes I'd pay for that...about $900K-$1M and not a penny more.

Paying double that which is what Fistric wanted would be stupid. I wouldn't even consider that for a nanosecond.

Simply looking at 24th vs 29th as "progression" or "regression" is ridiculous.

Both equate to the same thing...bottom of the league. The Oilers were 24th after 48 games and plummeting. They finished 6 pts ahead of 29th.

Moving down doesn't show they like "hiding in the dark". That's possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read. Are you really stupid enough to think that was the plan or what the team wanted?

They started the year with their top 2 C on the IR and their starting G played like absolutely garbage. Had Gagner not been hurt and had they gotten decent goaltending the Oilers would have 5-7 more wins. That would put them in 24th or 25th which is where there were last year and is what they are this year.

Context is a beautiful thing.

Avatar
#148 Dog Train
January 31 2014, 02:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

Considering that we added an NHL player for a soon -to-be beer league player and a self-entitled player who was never going to play us, I would say this is a solid trade. Mactavish certainly isn't sitting on his hands doing nothing. My guess is that the deals he makes before the deadline will mostly be selling off veterans to recoup some draft picks. We need to add to the group of players that make the most difference (top 6 forwards, top 4 D) but my guess is that those kind of moves won't come until the off-season.

Avatar
#149 Walter Sobchak
January 31 2014, 04:59PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers
Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty) wrote:

Hey Wes, how you doing?

Consensus in most circles is that it's better than ok.

The argument goes something like this:

Fistric demanded an overpay $2 mill per to stay in Edmonton.

Fistric while physical was hesitant to drop the gloves.

Harti and Abney were never going to be part of the equation here.

We moved one unwanted contract. (Abney) and the "rights" to a guy who got cut from team Finland.

We get a physical stay at home 6-7 Dman who is ready willing and able to mix it up in more ways than one.

We get him for less money than we were paying Fistric.

Eakins knows what he's getting.

I'm probably leaving something out but that's the gist of it.

Oh yeah....he's 6'4" 220

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, as they say.

I'm good!

Just confused as to why people think it's ok to give away a prospect like Hartikianen for a knuckle dragger for 25 games worth of nothing!

Cause for one thing, if Fraser is getting time over a player like Klefbom then, ya I got a problem with that.

Trading an asset for a rental player is strange, even worse when you consider the Oilers owned his rights.

Who cares about Fistric, I don't, but letting Smid go for nothing then acquiring a worse defensemen in the spot Smid could have played is beyond weird.

This trade does nothing moving forward, so why make it?

Avatar
#150 MessyEH
February 01 2014, 06:26AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Cheers
6
cheers

300 posts over a nothing trade?

Comments are closed for this article.